22 Chests opened, nothing unique

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Maylojager.1307

Maylojager.1307

What is up with that irresistible urge to whine upon not winning the lottery?
I’ve just opened 95 chests – and I can’t say I’ve got nothing out of them(like most of you are saying), I’ve got lotsa buffs and unselss stuff – but thats not nothing.
You must take responsibility for your actions guys.

As for anet -there’s an advice for you to add some kind of disclaimer (could aswell strap it to the confirmation window, upon buying the keys from the gemstore)

in Halloween Event

Posted by: PotatoOverdose.6583

PotatoOverdose.6583

To the posters insulting people who bought keys and expected an item:

We aren’t talking about the US economy or housing market. We’re talking about a stupid video game where people want to run around with a pumpkin rifle. Based on colorful advertising and good faith, a lot of people paid some money with the understanding that doing so would give them a “chance” at those items.

That “chance” is being proven to be aggressively small. Different people came into this with different expectations, but I do think its safe to say that the cost of keys, coupled with the tiny percent chance of a skin, equates to a more cynical policy than fans of Anet anticipated.

Fair enough. Lesson learned. Personal responsibility also means licking your wounds and moving on. Those that feel they got misled, will be less likely to give Anet cash like that on impulse.

In my opinion, that’s bad business for Anet, and less fun for the players who weren’t so lucky. It didn’t have to be that way, and I don’t think there is ANY harm in lambasting Anet for this mess. They can, and should do better by their players.

The chance isn’t aggressively small if most of the items can currently be bought for less than 10 gold, especially given how everyone seems to want these items and thus the demand is inflated.

Only 1 Item, the greatsword, costs significantly more than that (55 gold). People wanted a chainsaw greatsword. That want overcame their restraint, and many of them spent with their credit cards to buy keys. That’s a lack of responsibility.

Every single other weapon costs about as much as a decent skinned exotic in terms of gold. Every. Single. One.

Its a classic case of demand outpacing supply, in this case for one particular item. This led to many making bad decisions. We can pity them, but it is no one elses fault but their own.

In the meantime, the scythe staff skin is currently going for 40g, I am sure those “10g” and below items were skins people don’t want, or simply don’t exist. But thank you for skewing one small fact to try and suit your flawed portrayal of a larger picture.

Current Prices (1:39 am October 23):
The Chain sword (one handed) is 8 gold (and falling). No one wants a chainsaw sword. Nope. No one.
The Rifle is 5 gold.
The Shield is 20 gold.
The dagger is 8 gold. No dagger thiefs out there, mhmmm.
All 9 of the shoulder pads (3 of light, medium, and heavy) are all worth 5-10 gold. No one wants spikey skull shoulder pads. Nope, no one.

Yup, I REALLY skewed it. Those drops must be SO rare, to be worth less than typical “cool skinned” exotics.

Reality is this: The greatsword is used by Guardians, Mesmers, Warriors, and Rangers. 3 Of those classes have very popular greatsword builds.

Staves are also used by Necros,Guardians, Mesmers, and Elementalist. Again, higher demand.

Basic supply and demand. The drops are fine, judging by market prices of say…the one handed chainsaw. Demand is skewed toward the items used by most classes. Common sense.

Oh look, there goes the price of greatswords hitting 60g.

You nailed the issue on the head btw, thank you for supporting our argument – the supply is pathetically low.

The greatsaw did not spike to 60 at any time during the past 15 minutes. I’ve been monitoring it. It went 55—>56—>54—>55. It is currently 55. Nice exaggeration on your part though, please continue.

Not for the 15 minutes you were looking at. Look at the listing prices of the Greatsword.

But 55 gold, my, that is a bigggggggggggggggg difference /sarcasm.

Once again, thank you for supporting our argument that the halloween weapon skins are ill-conceived.

2 Lowest greatsaws are at 52 gold and 41 gold atm. Keep talking mister sarcasm.

source: http://imgur.com/NfpDa

So there was 1 person who undercut everyone else by 10 gold. I should thank that person, not Anet.

Once again, thank you for supporting our argument, that the players have to band together to play the system.

Oh wait, its the same players who have to purchase off the Gem Store first. Sorry but no dice. Anet still wins woooo /fanboyism

You’re totally right. The fact that speculators bumped the price up to 78 gold an hour and a half a go and the fact that the average price currently is 52 gold means nothing.

Nope, the price isn’t falling at all. Not one bit. Why I bet tomorrow it will be at 150 gold.

It’s not at all like the price of a new coveted item released only hours ago is dropping more than 10g/hour. GG, fellow fanbois, we’re toast. This man is onto us.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: CaptSlate.6205

CaptSlate.6205

You people have clearly never played F2P games in the past where they do this REGULARLY.

For the record you guys, the drop rate of these things isn’t entirely horrendous. Is it good? No, of course it isn’t, it’s designed to encourage gamblers to drop IRL money into black lion keys because the human mind often likes to exaggerate (greatly) the idea that it’s going to win something.

I like to call it the “just one more” theory. The human brain tends to immediately function on a basis that “My luck HAS to get better at some point! Maybe it’ll be the next box I open!”

Companies like Perfect World Entertainment have taken this utter addiction to gambling to the max by installing packs after packs after packs, and the drop rates for their ridiculous nonsensical packs that drop items just as useless as reskins are even worse than the drop rates for these special skins.

At the end of the day, if you’ve ever played a game like that before, and you REALLY want a drop from the boxes, you’re going to know better than to open a bunch of BLCs and hope to get rewarded. (If you go into opening those with anything other than “won’t get anything” expectations then yes, you’re going to get disappointed) Instead you’re going to take that money and drop it into buying the item outright from the TP where it’s a 100% guarantee that the money you’ve dropped in is going to be worth it.

Basically, this isn’t ArenaNet scamming anybody.

This is your own brain scamming you by telling you that it would be cheaper to buy the keys and open a hundred boxes because IF you win, then you just saved a HUGE amount of money. Your brain doesn’t tend to consider the fact that you aren’t going to win, because it’s too busy being blinded by the excitement of winning the lottery and making a huge profit while doing so.

Which is why I was happy to drop in my saved up 35 gold that I had been stashing away for goodness only knows what into the TP to come away with the Scythe skin, and I don’t feel jipped in the least. PWE taught me well.

I think the real deal is that people trusted ANet with their MMO Manifesto, and nice talking points, that they were NOT PWE, but instead they are, and you my friend learned not to trust MMO companies before, and that is what people are learning now.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Oreoz.2573

Oreoz.2573

@Starhawk

ya. I did. But this update was primarily for halloween. They hear us and they see what’s going on and not everything can be fixed right when you want it to be.

TP is running smoothly.
Their DR system is running smoothly (as far as I can tell from the forums, where complaints about it glitching have almost literally dropped off the radar)

Those are just a couple of examples.

We are only human. They are only human. Your post makes it sounds like they’re lazy good for nothings looking to make a quick buck.

Be reasonable.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: IomegadriveOne.5291

IomegadriveOne.5291

What is up with that irresistible urge to whine upon not winning the lottery?
I’ve just opened 95 chests – and I can’t say I’ve got nothing out of them(like most of you are saying), I’ve got lotsa buffs and unselss stuff – but thats not nothing.
You must take responsibility for your actions guys.

As for anet -there’s an advice for you to add some kind of disclaimer (could aswell strap it to the confirmation window, upon buying the keys from the gemstore)

If you think that black and white about it you can say you don’t get nothing. However if I wanted buffs I could have bought them myself. If I wanted repair canisters I could have bought them myself. People bought the chests and the keys hoping for at least 1 think new. Dumped tons of money into the game. Some hundreds of dollars. I could have used that money to convert gems to gold and would have at least come out with SOMETHING.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Kathmandu.2417

Kathmandu.2417

As long as such gear don’t affect the game in other ways than pure look I’m absolute in line with Arena. If there are people who are willing to pay a lot of real money to get some spooky looking skins first – why not take this money to secure the game maintenance and development?

13th November. The Grind Wars begin.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: TimeBomb.3427

TimeBomb.3427

I happened to be unlucky enough to stock up on black lion chests when they were at the highest price they’ve ever been at, 30-33c. I picked up only 1250, which isn’t that much gold (although it was 3/4 of mine at the time, though a few gold isn’t difficult to get), and am still hoping that the prices rise to at least 30-35c before the event is over. I’ll just cross my fingers that a patch comes out mid-event to raise the rate of items from the chests, and then I’ll cross my toes that most people open most of their black lion chests and need to buy more, lol.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Mickey.4207

Mickey.4207

@Starhawk

ya. I did. But this update was primarily for halloween. They hear us and they see what’s going on and not everything can be fixed right when you want it to be.

TP is running smoothly.
Their DR system is running smoothly (as far as I can tell from the forums, where complaints about it glitching have almost literally dropped off the radar)

Those are just a couple of examples.

We are only human. They are only human. Your post makes it sounds like they’re lazy good for nothings looking to make a quick buck.

Be reasonable.

Ofcourse they are looking to make quick bucks. It is a business after all. Stop trying to make it sound as if chests not offering unique skins was some error or un intentional bug.

Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before.

in Halloween Event

PotatoOverdose.6583

i ahve to be extremely lucky then : / i guess thats the RNG for you. I opened 70 chests got 1 of each of the shoulders, the one handed sword skin, and 2 scythes which made me get like a 10g profit. My first 50 chests i got absolutely nothing then i got 2-3 in a row with items.

Reality is more people are like you than the whiners in the thread. One has only to look at the average basket value of the new items after release to confirm that.

Again:

To the people making elaborate arguments to the effect of – “You should avoid the RNG and go to the trading post!”

The trading post market only exists because of the RNG being fed en-mass.

I’ll say it again for clarity. Warning, there will be caps.

THE TRADING POST MARKET FOR THESE ITEMS IS DEPENDENT ON THE KEYS BEING PURCHASED TO UNLOCK THE CHESTS IN THE FIRST PLACE.

Sorry. But this doesn’t need to become a zombie lie. The RNG system rewards vultures on the TP, and punishes people participating and purchasing. This is bad business on Anets part.

If the items were so damnd rare, I wouldn’t be able to buy a onehanded chansaw for 8 gold. Reality is they’re dropping in sufficient quantity to maintain a low price.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: epicsmooth.7825

epicsmooth.7825

@CaptSlate.6205

Since I’m curious, where can I read this Manifesto exactly?

in Halloween Event

Oreoz.2573

@mickey

er um…..it’s not a bug. I know that. And I know it’s a business. I’m just trying to get people to put things into proper perspective and not freak out about nothing.

which you kinda just did.

in Halloween Event

CaptSlate.6205

@epicsmooth.7825

Sure, not sure what rock you were hiding under when it came out and was all the rage, but here, have a nicely worded video that more or less could be summed up as “We’re different, we swear”

in Halloween Event

Posted by: spencerharrison.8136

spencerharrison.8136

i ahve to be extremely lucky then : / i guess thats the RNG for you. I opened 70 chests got 1 of each of the shoulders, the one handed sword skin, and 2 scythes which made me get like a 10g profit. My first 50 chests i got absolutely nothing then i got 2-3 in a row with items.

Reality is more people are like you than the whiners in the thread. One has only to look at the average basket value of the new items after release to confirm that.

Again:

To the people making elaborate arguments to the effect of – “You should avoid the RNG and go to the trading post!”

THE TRADING POST MARKET FOR THESE ITEMS IS DEPENDENT ON THE KEYS BEING PURCHASED TO UNLOCK THE CHESTS IN THE FIRST PLACE.

Sorry. But this doesn’t need to become a zombie lie. The RNG system rewards vultures on the TP, and punishes people participating and purchasing. This is bad business on Anets part.

If the items were so damnd rare, I wouldn’t be able to buy a onehanded chansaw for 8 gold. Reality is they’re dropping in sufficient quantity to maintain a low price.

lol

You’re not even listening. Cost isn’t the point.

Let’s switch this up: What is the motivation to unlock black lion chests in the future for people that weren’t satisfied with this experience? I can say for sure I WILL be taking YOUR advice and sitting on the trading post next time these items come out. I absolutely will NEVER tangle with the RNG again. Work smart not hard right?

But guess what?

That means less chests being opened, and less items. Less items means higher prices. So you’re argument on the basis of low cost is self defeating.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Moritsune.6789

Moritsune.6789

To be honest, with all these negative comments and extremely low drop rate.

Im seeing Nexon’s influence on the BLC. I played a few of Nexon owned games and this is how they make u spend more cash and more cash just to have a chance to get that rare item. It didn’t really come as a surprise to me since one of the cash shop guy from Nexon works for Anet now…good thing so far its not a P2W game cause the Skins are only for looks and doesn’t give you any advantages over others.

in Halloween Event

CaptSlate.6205

What spencer said is mostly true, is that with the back lash, the perception becomes “why bother opening chests” which turns the whole thing into a self-fulfilling prophecy

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Day.4501

Day.4501

I got the greatsword skin after opening 10 chests, and ended up with 4 extra keys.

in Halloween Event

epicsmooth.7825

@CaptSlate.6205

I don’t check on these kid of things at all for any game.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Vanquish.5726

Vanquish.5726

The f2p cash style is startin to wear on me personally already. Don’t get me wrong, I love gameplay in GW2, but at the same time, armor/weapons/skins/pets/mounts in general are part of the experience and enjoyment of a game as well right? I’ve grabbed 40 keys to see how the droprate would be handled, especially when dealing with people who choose to pay with cash, of course because I could afford it. Yes, it’s a choice and I didn’t have to buy! Not complaining about my cash-monies. But then I thought to myself, I’d gladly shell out $10/$15/$20 a month for a sub if it meant moderate-use transmutations, bank space, more armor/weapon models, etc - all towards enjoyment of the game. That’s like the cost of a lunch/dinner, no biggie when you guys think about it! Fifteen dollars a month! As an ex-wower, it was nice to have tons of options (though of course the GW2 stuff looks much, much, much better). I kinda wish GW2 were a sub-based system without a cash shop. Or maybe if it were a hybrid, supporting both sub and f2p cash shop style. But that’s a huge re-code. Anyway, just had to hear my own voice. Nevertheless, great game otherwise. Hope to keep playing!

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Thunderhead.5736

Thunderhead.5736

Why are these items so rare anyway. We are not talking about precursors and legendaries. Just let them become rare with time after the event is finished. Starting them off in the 8-10 gold tag means that after the event, they will become 5 times that!

in Halloween Event

Posted by: elpilla.6251

elpilla.6251

1600 I bought gems with real money and have opened 11 boxes and I have not left anything now?

in Halloween Event

CaptSlate.6205

@epicsmooth.7825

Real shame, gaming news can involve you in lots of games you never knew existed. But indeed, I assume you now see what I mean about this video, which I assume many people saw, at the very least nearly 200k people, seemed to point to “We’re different”

in Halloween Event

Posted by: elpilla.6251

elpilla.6251

1600 I bought gems with real money and have opened 11 boxes and I have not left anything now?

in Halloween Event

PotatoOverdose.6583

Again:

lol

Let’s switch this up: What is the motivation to unlock black lion chests in the future for people that weren’t satisfied with this experience? I can say for sure I WILL be taking YOUR advice and sitting on the trading post next time these items come out. I absolutely will NEVER tangle with the RNG again. Work smart not hard right?

But guess what?

That means less chests being opened, and less items. Less items means higher prices. So you’re argument on the basis of low cost is self defeating.

Ok, I’ll play your game.
a) Fewer chests being opened —> rare items dropped from those chests become more valuable because supply decreases with respect to demand.

b) Drops from chest worth more —> better payoff matrix —>more people open chests because of potential for increased rewards

c) More people open chests —>more rare drops & more people screwed by RNG

d) More rare drops —→rare drops become worth less.

e) Rare drops worth less/people disapointed —→ lower payoff matrix —>fewer people open chests.

f) go back to (a).

All such systems have an equilibrium point. Hours after release, we’re nowhere near said point. However:

In a high demand environment cost is a direct indicator of rarity and drop rate, and for items a few hours old, all but the GS and the staff are very low in price for completely new items.

In case anyone is wondering, the current price of the GS is at a min of 46 with an average of 48-50 * . Compare to guys claiming 60 or 70 hours ago.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: cherrie.8907

cherrie.8907

Airyll, GW1 was a free to play game.

It NEVER had this such a thing. GW1 had the most reasonable shop I’ve ever seen in any ftp game and trully, if Devs go for 4 -5 years saying “we’ll have a shop in GW2 very much (or was it Just like?) in GW1 because it was such a huge success” do understand that people expect GW1 model and not korean grinder model in shop.

GW1 had a pure “what you see is what you get” shop model.
Costumes had much better mechanics overall (even though much more limited) because it was much more player friendly and didn’t just suck gems out of you for TS, storage, multiple costumes for multiple characters and such. And you could always display a costume.

To sum it up, I don’t play korean grinders because I don’t like the model, both gameplay and shop wise and i really hate this utterly disgusting model creep into my favourite game. And I know I am not the only one. The fact that all other NCsoft or Nexon or generally Big In Asia games are doing it doesn’t mean GW has to be doing it, they actually made a pretty big deal of being different, after all.

I’ve spend a ton of money on GW1, I’m a bit scared to count it up but I had every costume, every bank tab, full hero pack (though I never used them all), several additional slots (in total I had one class each + perma pre char + 2xPvP chars), mission pack, some name changes, Game of The Year update or what not.
EVERY single of these items was a full moeny’s worth for me.

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
-Mike Obrien
“We don’t need to make mandatory gear treadmills” -Colin Johanson

in Halloween Event

CaptSlate.6205

Again:

lol

But guess what?

Ok, I’ll play your game.
a) Fewer chests being opened —> rare items dropped from those chests become more valuable because supply decreases with respect to demand.

b) Drops from chest worth more —> better payoff matrix -->more people open chests because of potential for increased rewards

c) More people open chests —>more rare drops & more people screwed by RNG

d) More rare drops —->rare drops become worth less.

e) Rare drops worth less/people disapointed —-> lower payoff matrix —>fewer people open chests.

f) go back to (a).

All such systems have an equilibrium point. Hours after release, we’re nowhere near said point. However:

In a high demand environment cost is a direct indicator of rarity and drop rate, and for items a few hours old, all but the GS and the staff are very low in price for completely new items.

In case anyone is wondering, the current price of the GS is at a min of 46 with an average of 48-50 * . Compare to guys claiming 60 or 70 hours ago.

What happens in section B if people don’t care about the payoff and just want the skin? How does the cycle continue then, and what is your volumetric for breakeven points, as well as what is your assumed bell curve for total items entering and leaving the market place? Are you assuming a standard deviation of, well, what exactly? a rating of 1 to 10, 50 to 8?

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Shanaeri Rynale.6897

Shanaeri Rynale.6897

I feel a better solution would have been to.
1. Keep the RNG system for a bit of fun and for those who want to feel lucky. These items are not bound and can be sold
2. Have the items in the gem store for 500-600 gems, but they are account bound.

So. you either takes your chance and get an item you can resell on. Or you pay a flat fee and have an item only you can use.

Everyone is then a winner.

Guild Leader of DVDF www.dvdf.org.uk since 2005

in Halloween Event

epicsmooth.7825

@CaptSlate.6205

I check news to see about new games but now after watching the video I see why I wouldn’t have seen it.

Was just a “hype” video and I pretty much skip hype for any game even the ones I’m really really interested in.

Yes the video gave me the “we’re different” in areas but whole thing was hyping but I already know people eat the hype up like its nobodies business…..to often just blows up in their face.

in Halloween Event

CaptSlate.6205

1. Keep the RNG system for a bit of fun and for those who want to feel lucky. These items are not bound and can be sold
2. Have the items in the gem store for 500-600 gems, but they are account bound.

So. you either takes your chance and get an item you can resell on. Or you pay a flat fee and have an item only you can use.

I second this

in Halloween Event

PotatoOverdose.6583

I have neither the time nor the inclination to go that in depth in my analysis. However, I will say this. If the price of the GS stabillizes at or below 25g, in this high demand environment, the system will work just fine, because it is then accessible to most of the player base and supply is meeting demand.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Qaletaqa Hania.2598

Qaletaqa Hania.2598

+1

Also wanted to say to the people that are laughing at people that bought stuff with real money, or saying they should’ve played the TP the next couple of things:

It’s because of people that spend REAL MONEY that this game will be bringing out new content, that Anet will have a bigger budget for the next expansion, that they can keep the servers live and kicking.

In total over 7 years, because I trust(ed) Anet I have spent over 2000 Euro supporting this company (that’s even excluding certain things).

That’s over 20 Euro each month. I didn’t mind that, but now that they give nothing in return, i’ll give them nothing next month… and the months following. And I hope many people do the same, so Anet will feel what we feel….

in Halloween Event

Posted by: cherrie.8907

cherrie.8907

People like to say “Hah! Suckers!” and honestly I do feel like a sucker. But I knew full well going in that $20 for keys in a video game wasn’t going to be worth the money in a pure monetary sense. But I wanted to support Arenanet and maybe get a few aesthetic goodies for that support. Instead I feel scammed. I went in with low expectations regarding the droprates, but I figured surely, twenty US dollars can give me more than a 1% chance at getting some stupid skin for my stupid weapons.

It’s my fault. They never said what the % was. They never said that you could open hundreds of chests and get nothing. But I trusted Arenanet to do better by me than some Korean f2p Lineage II clone. Guild Wars fans feel a sense of entitlement because Arenanet has always upheld a standard of excellence in content/holiday fun. I still have truckloads of candy canes and pumpkin heads in my Xunlai storage and I hardly ever even PARTICIPATED in the Guild Wars 1 stuff. I just accumulated it via osmosis.

I don’t know, I feel pretty bitter, pretty disappointed, and pretty dumb. I don’t think that was the intended effect of the holiday festivities. I love the work they’ve done with Halloween in every way except for this. I think I speak for a lot of “suckers” when I say I will not be purchasing gems again. This just feels icky.

This is so very true.
This game is amazing and it feels like a worthy successor of GW1 in many gameplay aspects.
But the shop seems to be from a totally different world, like it was reaped out from… I don’t know… Maple Story or something similarly disgusting.

ANet fans want to spend their money on the game.
I’ve spent big in GW1 and I never regretted a single purchase, then again it was always “what you see is what you get… and you get to keep it too, and we’ll make sure it’s easy for you!”.
Every single person I knew owned several costumes, most of my friends owned them all as well as most of the stuff offered in store. GW1 had a fair model shop and the worse thing they’ve ever done for holidays was Mini Polar Bear.

On the contrary, GW2 shop seems to be aimed at a totally different playerbase than the game actually has.

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
-Mike Obrien
“We don’t need to make mandatory gear treadmills” -Colin Johanson

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Maylojager.1307

Maylojager.1307

whats the point of 1) then? when it’s possible to get it for fixed 500-600 gem price depending on the current gold:gem exchange ratio?

in Halloween Event

Oreoz.2573

@CaptSlate.6205

I check news to see about new games but now after watching the video I see why I wouldn’t have seen it.

Was just a “hype” video and I pretty much skip hype for any game even the ones I’m really really interested in.

Yes the video gave me the “we’re different” in areas but whole thing was hyping but I already know people eat the hype up like its nobodies business…..to often just blows up in their face.

Well the vid did come out about 2, maybe 4 years prior to release so certain realities in the design should’ve been expected as development continued.

Plus the video makes no mention of the cash shop or anything pertaining to it so I don’t even know why someone linked it in this thread.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Glad Wing Pomp.1940

Glad Wing Pomp.1940

I see no reason why people should be encouraged to gamble (yes, it’s gambling) with their hard-earned, real money for fun novelty items in a video game. There are those of us that don’t enjoy gambling and we’re left with only three special weapon skins for this event. All the people who don’t have the money to afford these Black Lion chest skins now will be paying 500+ gold for them later after the Halloween event is over. It’s a shame this aspect of the Halloween event couldn’t have been as well thought out and enjoyable as the rest of it. I will remember not to purchase anything from the BLTC in the future.

in Halloween Event

CaptSlate.6205

I have neither the time nor the inclination to go that in depth in my analysis. However, I will say this. If the price of the GS stabillizes at or below 25g, in this high demand environment, the system will work just fine, because it is then accessible to most of the player base and supply is meeting demand.

But again, isn’t this whole ordeal in relation to what will happen to the market place NEXT, not what is happening now? Why 25g is that some magic number? I admit that 25g seems like price point that would be accessible to a group of people with the resources to achieve such a price point, however, what about people that cannot achieve this price point in the next 14 days or how ever long the event runs? Are these people expendable, are they to be laughed at for attempting to achieve their goal of getting the item they wanted via “legit” means ergo those means set forth by Anet and not the player market?

in Halloween Event

Oreoz.2573

But again, isn’t this whole ordeal in relation to what will happen to the market place NEXT, not what is happening now? Why 25g is that some magic number? I admit that 25g seems like price point that would be accessible to a group of people with the resources to achieve such a price point, however, what about people that cannot achieve this price point in the next 14 days or how ever long the event runs? Are these people expendable, are they to be laughed at for attempting to achieve their goal of getting the item they wanted via “legit” means ergo those means set forth by Anet and not the player market?

Well for the people that can’t afford that in time (like myself) I say “congratulations on existing. I’m sorry Anet can’t cater to everyone but they do have to make money.”

Not everyone’s gonna get the skin they want. Which is too bad. If they spent money they spent money (again, like myself) but the game is F2P.

I’ll say it again, the game is F2P

One bad night of spending is going to be made up for in spades throughout the life of the game.

All I can say to people who didn’t win out is “too bad” and “try again next year”

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Sanarian.9614

Sanarian.9614

I’ve seen quite a few posts here talking about how this is his F2P games are run, relying on RNG to help them make a profit. Yeah, that is true (literally, you hit the nail on the head). But that wasn’t the case with ArenaNet in Guild Wars 1. They were generous with their holiday rewards, and to see that mentality completely disappear is a huge shock to me. As some people have been saying here, it’s a huge blow to the trust people placed in the company. It’s not something you can just wave a hand around and fix. But yeah, perhaps people went a bit over the top with their outcry (myself included) but being upset when you feel you’ve been ripped off is hardly a crime.

Sanarian [ME] | Thief | Blackgate

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Piriel.5197

Piriel.5197

This whole chest random drop thing for Halloween seems like big money scam to me. I’ve opened 12 chests and not even something useful from them, just the usual crap. Honestly I would have rather spend those 20$ on buying the skin from the gem shop. This basically makes people gambling real money if they really want a skin which in my opinion is not OK.

All and all I’m disappointed with the way ANet handled this whole thing. Being a GW1 player as well, before GW2 was released I had the impression that ANet was somehow different than all the money-hungry game companies. Turns out that in some regards you’re actually worse. This is gonna be the last $ you’ll ever see from me.

Thanks.

in Halloween Event

PotatoOverdose.6583

25g is the pricemark for many high end (in terms of appearence) sub legendary exotics not precursors to a legendary weapon e.g. the Charrzooka.

Tbh, the price of ‘event’ items tends to go down with time, not up. Look at Gw1 miniatures, the early miniatures were cool and worth tens if not hundreds of ectos in some cases. They were relased on a yearly basis on the characters birthday. Early ‘rare’ minipets, such as Rurik, became worth significantly less with time as compared to later ‘rare’ minipets e.g. Shiro, Destroyers, Aatxes, etc.

Once the novelty wears off, the price goes down. What we’re seeing is a glorified digital fashion show. Most mmo’s have it these days. I used the Charrzooka as an example earlier. At one point they were commonly traded at 98g. Now they are traded at 23g.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Drakonis.4579

Drakonis.4579

As a GW1 veteran that has played the game for over 6 years, I have to admit that I am extremely disappointed with the way ArenaNet is handling this event’s unique weapon skins.

I remember candy cane shards. What happened, ArenaNet? Are some corporate fat cats forcing you to do this? What gives? No one wants to gamble away their gold and cash for a “chance” or a “maybe.”

I won’t be purchasing anymore keys after opening nearly 30 chests with nothing of value. For shame, ArenaNet. This is truly embarrassing to your longtime fans. We can’t even defend you this time.

in Halloween Event

CaptSlate.6205

Well for the people that can’t afford that in time (like myself) I say “congratulations on existing. I’m sorry Anet can’t cater to everyone but they do have to make money.”

Not everyone’s gonna get the skin they want. Which is too bad. If they spent money they spent money (again, like myself) but the game is F2P.

One bad night of spending is going to be made up for in spades throughout the life of the game.

All I can say to people who didn’t win out is “too bad” and “try again next year”

What does that entail exactly? I have heard the moniker of the game is F2P, F2P, F2P, but what does that entail? Are your expectations of F2P (which you did buy the game for 60 dollars let me remind you), different from other peoples? Of course they are! You can’t say they aren’t! It’s a real shame that this issue is being lost in, “they have to make money” There are quite a few ways they could make money without having to rely on a RNG, assume for a second that, everything Potato says is true about how in demand the GS Saw is (and I know it is in high demand) Think if they had priced it at 5 dollars, no they would not have made as much from this as their Black Lion Keys, but they wouldn’t have lost the trust of people either.

Trust is more important in the long run in business operations than money ever is, trust is money my friend. Again, though I’m all over the, sorry I lost, yeap cool, I’ll get over it, it’s the people that won’t get over that hurts ANet in the long run, and it hurts us too. Lost confidence = lost sales = lost money to spend on playing players.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: TheLaughingMan.4320

TheLaughingMan.4320

50 keys, no Halloween items. Screw you anet

long time gw1 player, since beta

This is buy 2 play, not free to play, like so many defenders of this keep saying. That is their business model. However they should have published the odds of getting a halloween related drop. No moar gems for anet from me.

And to the fanboi defenders of this situation, you are beyond salvation.

(edited by TheLaughingMan.4320)

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Jamais vu.5284

Jamais vu.5284

You all had two months to notice that Black Lion Chests are a gamble if you ever saw one. Don’t drop 50 dollars on them if you feel unsure about gambling. I swear people in this thread don’t understand probability. I guess there exists a Darwin in economics as well.
But yeah, keep the tears and the hyperbole coming, it’s entertaining. (for the record, I’m not criticising the critique of the drop rate per se, but the form in which it is uttered here. Although I’m glad the fugly vanity skins are rare)

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Qaletaqa Hania.2598

Qaletaqa Hania.2598

Does Anet need a Gambling License?

Since many call the Black Lion Chest a Gambling thing Anet would indeed need a Gambling License in many countries.

I will actually do some more research on this.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Kaden.3162

Kaden.3162

opened over 20 chests now with nothing to show, massively not impressed since i just purchased the $50 gem pack to get the other mad king costume and hood. always liked and wanted to spend money on the game because i enjoy it and think the staff deserve it for their work, however im done with it now, not gonna spend anymore money on this game, its fine to have chance based stuff, but keys are hard to come by and cost a ton when you consider the chance you probably gonna need 100 of them for 1 item, 125 gems a key, 12500 gems anyone?

in Halloween Event

Posted by: yawn.7819

yawn.7819

I opened over 50 chests and didn’t get one item….Disgusted!

-= Yawn =-
Follow My Stream!

http://www.twitch.tv/yawn_gaming

in Halloween Event

CaptSlate.6205

Eh, I’ve lost my ability to reply, but @PotatoOverdose,

Isn’t the comparison to Year 1 mini’s unfair to “later” rare mini pets, because statistically players are less likely to be that much older? As well as at that point people have alts that are more likely to achieve year 1 status and increase supply? You did point to supply and demand earlier, same thing in minis if I remember correctly.

And you are correct, this is a fashion show on the internet, why would you force someone to gamble to look fashionable IN A GAME ON THE INTERNET, I mean, does that really make all that much sense?

But for all intents and purposes, we will never see eye to eye on this, it seems to be impossible, I believe that it is inherently a betrayal of trust on the part of Anet to do the RNG for the Drop Rate, and you do not, so let’s just agree to disagree

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Whiskeyjack.4569

Whiskeyjack.4569

I think what is really awesome here is that people have spent hundreds of $ on keys and sit online complaining about it as if the chest drops (which was crap before) would somehow magically get better while children in their own area probably went to bed hungry because no one in their area would support the local salvation army or food shelter.

/golf clap

bravo

in Halloween Event

Oreoz.2573

What does that entail exactly? I have heard the moniker of the game is F2P, F2P, F2P, but what does that entail? Are your expectations of F2P (which you did buy the game for 60 dollars let me remind you), different from other peoples? Of course they are! You can’t say they aren’t! It’s a real shame that this issue is being lost in, “they have to make money” There are quite a few ways they could make money without having to rely on a RNG, assume for a second that, everything Potato says is true about how in demand the GS Saw is (and I know it is in high demand) Think if they had priced it at 5 dollars, no they would not have made as much from this as their Black Lion Keys, but they wouldn’t have lost the trust of people either.

Trust is more important in the long run in business operations than money ever is, trust is money my friend. Again, though I’m all over the, sorry I lost, yeap cool, I’ll get over it, it’s the people that won’t get over that hurts ANet in the long run, and it hurts us too. Lost confidence = lost sales = lost money to spend on playing players.

Yeah, they’re not losing out on anything here.
Everyone can talk trust and lost sales and blah blah blah.

But lets all face facts here.

You’re mad. I’m mad. Some other folk are mad.

But guess what?

They’re makin money.
And will continue to make money.
And will do it in ways you like, and in ways you don’t like.

This one little halloween event isn’t going to put them in the sinker and they’ll probably do it again next year.

The overwhelming confidence I guess some players had in those chests for this thing was obviously misplaced. Lessons will be learned and their money WILL be spent in other ways.

Yeah, Anet isn’t going to be hurting from this no matter which way any of us decide to slice it in our bitter rage.

I mean, that’s the truth.

in Halloween Event

CaptSlate.6205

I think what is really awesome here is that people have spent hundreds of $ on keys and sit online complaining about it as if the chest drops (which was crap before) would somehow magically get better while children in their own area probably went to bed hungry because no one in their area would support the local salvation army or food shelter.

/golf clap

bravo

What I think is really awesome here is that you yourself have little to no ability (ha see personal attack fallacy) to actually contribute to a discussion because you have little to no ability (Yeap, 2 in one paragraph) reason successfully against an argument you don’t really seem to care about. Excellent appeal to Emotion and Appeal to Pity there though, you seem to have some merit as a solid logical fallacy maker (3 times, hot kitten I’m on a roll)