Act 3 Event Timing

Act 3 Event Timing

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Rivmun.1485

Rivmun.1485

The thing about people like you is that you simply do not understand what it feels like to be Asian/Australian/not American. You’re right, other MMO’s do this too, they deliberately set events to an American prime time only and simply do not care about Oceania. If you were in our position I highly doubt you would disagree.

I don’t appreciate you intentionally misconstruing my statement to fit into your “poor me” mindset.

I’ve missed many events in many MMO’s regardless of my region due to work, sleep, or familial obligation. That’s life. Literally. I’ve also played with many Oceanic Players who rolled on North American servers (when there were Oceanic Servers to choose from) because they wanted to, and they made it to plenty of events without gripe. I’ve seen players from Asia in this very game playing alongside North Americans during hours that could still be considered Prime.

Maybe they’re exceptions to the general populace or maybe.. just maybe.. different people play at different times regardless of Region? Anet has already said that they settled on this date and time because it’s when GW2 as the most concurrent players throughout all Regions.

Yeah some people like to stay up late, what I’m saying is if you were in our shoes you would have a very different opinion seeing as for us it will be 6am on a Monday morning.

Don’t twist things, you’re taking a small sample of the Oceanic population and saying “Oh hey look a few of you stay up til early hours of a Monday morning, because of this all of you must also do it”.

Act 3 Event Timing

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Nappychappy.7046

Nappychappy.7046

Really? You can’t please everyone. ANET is a US company not Asian or European. Get over it.

Now I see why people hate us Americans, such a crap attitude towards your fellow gamers… If the shoe was on the other foot, you bet your kitten you would be the one here QQ’in.

You are using 21 of 100 infractions ermm, PMs.

Act 3 Event Timing

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Selluna.5168

Selluna.5168

This timing is exceedingly unfair and badly thought out. Why couldn’t they have run it on a Saturday for NA which would be Sunday for Aus/Asia? That is actually more fair then expecting people to be on at 3-6am on a Monday morning.

Act 3 Event Timing

in Halloween Event

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

The only reason I can think of for it not being repeated is that this event will have permanent effects/changes on the game itself, like something appearing somewhere on the map and staying there after Halloween is over.

Otherwise, there are no reasons for not having it repeating over the course of the day.

That’’s pretty much what I was thinking.

To the people saying it’s just one event – the problem is that it’s not. It’s a precedent, and, in fact, the first precedent that’s been set for holiday events in GW2. What those of us who aren’t lucky enough to have schedules that fit well with ArenaNet’s are now looking at is a scenario in which every single such event is going to occur at a time which we can’t make, because it’s set at a time that’s convenient for a majority we’re not part of and not repeated. That’s a lot of content and possibly rewards that’s potentially being missed over the years, and we paid at least as much for the game as you did (and likely in many cases more). An event can still be special and exclusive if it’s run multiple times over a day – it’s still only available for that day, it’d just be exclusive to people who were there rather than people who happened to be in the right timezone.

The argument about servers is also completely irrelevant because there are no Oceanic servers. If there were some, maybe that would be an option.

One thing at least I’d like to hear is… how long are the events scheduled to go for? Would be nice to at least know whether it would be worthwhile to rock up an hour or two late or whether this is just something to be written off entirely.

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

Act 3 Event Timing

in Halloween Event

Posted by: jameslu.9023

jameslu.9023

“It’s only a game get over it” – Fly over to Western Australia and wakeup at 2AM in the morning, see how you like it, then. It’s easier said than done. The time slot simply does not work as it’s set in the worst possible timeframe.

Be free as a bird.

Act 3 Event Timing

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Jest.9276

Jest.9276

The thing about people like you is that you simply do not understand what it feels like to be Asian/Australian/not American. You’re right, other MMO’s do this too, they deliberately set events to an American prime time only and simply do not care about Oceania. If you were in our position I highly doubt you would disagree.

I don’t appreciate you intentionally misconstruing my statement to fit into your “poor me” mindset.

I’ve missed many events in many MMO’s regardless of my region due to work, sleep, or familial obligation. That’s life. Literally. I’ve also played with many Oceanic Players who rolled on North American servers (when there were Oceanic Servers to choose from) because they wanted to, and they made it to plenty of events without gripe. I’ve seen players from Asia in this very game playing alongside North Americans during hours that could still be considered Prime.

Maybe they’re exceptions to the general populace or maybe.. just maybe.. different people play at different times regardless of Region? Anet has already said that they settled on this date and time because it’s when GW2 as the most concurrent players throughout all Regions.

Yeah some people like to stay up late, what I’m saying is if you were in our shoes you would have a very different opinion seeing as for us it will be 6am on a Monday morning.

Don’t twist things, you’re taking a small sample of the Oceanic population and saying “Oh hey look a few of you stay up til early hours of a Monday morning, because of this all of you must also do it”.

Not at all. I’m not saying you must do anything. People from all over the world have Work, Anniversaries, Birthdays, School, will have Emergencies (North Eastern seaboard of the US/Canada has a HUGE Hurricane coming this weekend for example), Dates, Sports Events, etc.. If you want to be there and you can, by all means show up. If you don’t want to do it or you can’t due to other obligations, that’s unfortunate.

What I’m saying is, that’s the nature of life. Every moment that you’re doing one thing, you’re missing out on doing other things. This can not be avoided.

In this particular case, for this particular event, Anet’s intent is for it to be Unique. That’s the design intent. Their vision for the event. Not everyone can be apart of it due to that fact. They have two choices on what to do to address that.

Either choose a time that makes it most available for the bulk of their playerbase.. or sacrifice their design intent by making it less (i.e. not) Unique. They’ve chosen the former. And whether I can and will be able to make it or not doesn’t change that they have every right to do it and have no responsibility to change it simply because I bought the game.

Act 3 Event Timing

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Rivmun.1485

Rivmun.1485

Not at all. I’m not saying you must do anything. People from all over the world have Work, Anniversaries, Birthdays, School, will have Emergencies (North Eastern seaboard of the US/Canada has a HUGE Hurricane coming this weekend for example), Dates, Sports Events, etc.. If you want to be there and you can, by all means show up. If you don’t want to do it or you can’t due to other obligations, that’s unfortunate.

What I’m saying is, that’s the nature of life. Every moment that you’re doing one thing, you’re missing out on doing other things. This can not be avoided.

In this particular case, for this particular event, Anet’s intent is for it to be Unique. That’s the design intent. Their vision for the event. Not everyone can be apart of it due to that fact. They have two choices on what to do to address that.

Either choose a time that makes it most available for the bulk of their playerbase.. or sacrifice their design intent by making it less (i.e. not) Unique. They’ve chosen the former. And whether I can and will be able to make it or not doesn’t change that they have every right to do it and have no responsibility to change it simply because I bought the game.

But what I am saying is your’ view would be different, you have avoided that by saying ‘whether or not i can’ etc. You are posting here telling us to stop complaining because it’s perfect for YOU.

Just don’t look at this thread if you don’t agree with everyone else here. I’m sick of people like you who get everything they want because they’re American, you then tell us to quit complaining? I’d like to see ANET host all these ‘one time only events’ of which this is but merely the first, and then I’d like to see your’ reaction when you can’t make it due to it being at 3am on a Monday morning.

Act 3 Event Timing

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Burkderp.3904

Burkderp.3904

The only reason I can think of for it not being repeated is that this event will have permanent effects/changes on the game itself, like something appearing somewhere on the map and staying there after Halloween is over.

Otherwise, there are no reasons for not having it repeating over the course of the day.

That’’s pretty much what I was thinking.

To the people saying it’s just one event – the problem is that it’s not. It’s a precedent, and, in fact, the first precedent that’s been set for holiday events in GW2. What those of us who aren’t lucky enough to have schedules that fit well with ArenaNet’s are now looking at is a scenario in which every single such event is going to occur at a time which we can’t make, because it’s set at a time that’s convenient for a majority we’re not part of and not repeated. That’s a lot of content and possibly rewards that’s potentially being missed over the years, and we paid at least as much for the game as you did (and likely in many cases more). An event can still be special and exclusive if it’s run multiple times over a day – it’s still only available for that day, it’d just be exclusive to people who were there rather than people who happened to be in the right timezone.

The argument about servers is also completely irrelevant because there are no Oceanic servers. If there were some, maybe that would be an option.

One thing at least I’d like to hear is… how long are the events scheduled to go for? Would be nice to at least know whether it would be worthwhile to rock up an hour or two late or whether this is just something to be written off entirely.

Unfortunately I have to agree with this sentiment that it’s setting a precedent that may well be a continued practice for other events.

I’m going to be able to make it because its 5am where I live. Sure its not perfect but I suppose it’s okay. The problem is still there however. Everybody should have access to this event just as they could have in GW1.

If Anet was Australian and scheduled the event to be at 2-5am on a Monday for US players there would be an uproar. As much as you guys say that you would be complacent with their decision you wouldn’t be.

No matter where in the world you live you should have access to this event. Spoilers is not an excuse and really just sounds like a cop out to my ears.

Act 3 Event Timing

in Halloween Event

Jest.9276

But what I am saying is your’ view would be different, you have avoided that by saying ‘whether or not i can’ etc. You are posting here telling us to stop complaining because it’s perfect for YOU.

Just don’t look at this thread if you don’t agree with everyone else here. I’m sick of people like you who get everything they want because they’re American, you then tell us to quit complaining? I’d like to see ANET host all these ‘one time only events’ of which this is but merely the first, and then I’d like to see your’ reaction when you can’t make it due to it being at 3am on a Monday morning.

I actually missed Head Start and the first week and a half of the game due to Moving my family across the country and subsequently enduring a TS/Hurricane that hit the South/South East US during that time frame. I’m the type of player that usually spends as much time during the launch window of an MMO, playing the game and trying to get ahead of the curve of the general playerbase. That’s my personal playstyle preference and I missed that due to events out of my control. It was unfortunate but it happened.

The timing is far from perfect for me. I have familial obligations on Sunday and I don’t know if I will be able to make it. I’ll try to make it but if I can’t, then that’s that.

The difference between your mindset and mine is that I don’t feel like Anet needs to satisfy my personal desires. If their decision is to run the event one time only and I miss it, then that sucks but oh well. It’s not worth getting worked up over as it’s not content that’s going to affect my gameplay after the fact.

I look at it as an experience that I’d like to be apart of. If that doesn’t work out, that’s ok.

Act 3 Event Timing

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Rockmontage.1603

Rockmontage.1603

Pfffttt. I hope to get up. I think its seven or eight am for NZ? We may not get the acheivement but at the end of the day Americans only like Americans, Look after number one. Thats why the world hates america. Not me, I enjoy reeses pieces.

Act 3 Event Timing

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Widowmaker Z.4802

Widowmaker Z.4802

What ever happened with how it was done in GW? They would have the event every 3 hours and run it for 24 hours.

If it were to have an effect or change in the world, that could wait until this event is over before kicking off.

Act 3 Event Timing

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Zeivu.3615

Zeivu.3615

Blame the sun, which cannot be everywhere at all times.

Act 3 Event Timing

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Glog.4275

Glog.4275

""For those of you wondering, having the event at separate times for separate zones is actually one of the worst options. Whatever happens is going to be on livestreams instantly and then on YouTube about five minutes later. At least this way, everyone has a chance to experience it in the game, without having it spoiled by the rapid availability of video on the Internet.""

I had to read that again, then again.. Then shaked my head with a big what the hell.

As i read that i felt like i was a pre-teen again where mom would tell me i couldnt watch this or that because it might scar me for life. But i watched it anyway and what you know, i didnt grow up to be a crazed looney.

Seriously Anet?.

(edited by Glog.4275)

Act 3 Event Timing

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Nappychappy.7046

Nappychappy.7046

Pfffttt. I hope to get up. I think its seven or eight am for NZ? We may not get the acheivement but at the end of the day Americans only like Americans, Look after number one. Thats why the world hates america. Not me, I enjoy reeses pieces.

No, I’m pretty sure most Americans hate everyone, including other Americans. Also I believe Reese’s Pieces are made in Mexico, but you also enjoy Anet which is also in the US so.. whatever.

On topic, the 1 times event is really unfair, Anet is hell bent on making this community worse and worse.

You are using 21 of 100 infractions ermm, PMs.

Act 3 Event Timing

in Halloween Event

Posted by: CptUndies.9815

CptUndies.9815

5:30am on a Monday morning for me. ANet, I am very unhappy with you. You’re shafting a percentage of the player base. Not having multiple events is saying you don’t give a kitten about those people in these minor timezones.

Act 3 Event Timing

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Polantaris.9513

Polantaris.9513

No matter when they put it, there would have been issues.

I agree that it should have had multiple run times, perhaps 3 times, 8 hours apart, over the day.

With them being set to this one time period, no matter what they did they would have had issues, and if they kept it Wednesday…I have a feeling they would have had a bigger mass of complaints with the coming Hurricane to the East Coast. It’s supposed to hit where I live Tuesday into Wednesday, which would mean that many people in the East Coast would have had no power for the event, thus missing it.

No matter how you do it, you’ll be having issues.

Now I’ll probably get hate for this, but if you remember when you picked the servers there were only “North American Servers” and “European Servers”. I don’t remember “Oceanic Servers” as selections. Considering this, having it at a time on Sunday which can fit for both NA and EU Servers seems decent. Yes, I get that there are Oceanic players, but there’s also Korean players. What about them? The only reason you don’t see them complaining here is because this is an English forum. If they are so set on this “One time event” deal, no matter how you look at it, regardless of when they put it, people will be annoyed.

Yes, I agree that there should have been multiple times, but since they don’t want to do that, there’s absolutely nothing that anyone can do with that limitation to make every single person happy.

Edit: Before anyone says I’m happy because I live in the East Coast and therefore can view the event…I work nights, which means I have to disrupt my own schedule and thus screw up my Sunday night work to view the event. It’s not good for me either, but I’m thinking outside of just myself.

(edited by Polantaris.9513)

Act 3 Event Timing

in Halloween Event

Burkderp.3904

No matter when they put it, there would have been issues.

I agree that it should have had multiple run times, perhaps 3 times, 8 hours apart, over the day.

With them being set to this one time period, no matter what they did they would have had issues, and if they kept it Wednesday…I have a feeling they would have had a bigger mass of complaints with the coming Hurricane to the East Coast. It’s supposed to hit where I live Tuesday into Wednesday, which would mean that many people in the East Coast would have had no power for the event, thus missing it.

No matter how you do it, you’ll be having issues.

Now I’ll probably get hate for this, but if you remember when you picked the servers there were only “North American Servers” and “European Servers”. I don’t remember “Oceanic Servers” as selections. Considering this, having it at a time on Sunday which can fit for both NA and EU Servers seems decent. Yes, I get that there are Oceanic players, but there’s also Korean players. What about them? The only reason you don’t see them complaining here is because this is an English forum. If they are so set on this “One time event” deal, no matter how you look at it, regardless of when they put it, people will be annoyed.

Yes, I agree that there should have been multiple times, but since they don’t want to do that, there’s absolutely nothing that anyone can do with that limitation to make every single person happy.

The greater majority would of been happy with repeated events. No doubt more people will be upset with a one off event due to commitments/time zone. As to your statement about no Oceanic servers then why sell it to Oceanic players? If you sell a product internationally but only have American/European servers you need to be aware that there will be other time zones partaking in those communities. Those people paid the same amount and should have access to special events and items just as any other player should.

If this was swapped around the American players would be screaming.

Act 3 Event Timing

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Vigil.3408

Vigil.3408

As an Aussie I can completely understand Arena Net’s decision on this. I’ll be up at 6am Monday the 29th of October to see it – it’s what we do. We’ve done it ever since… ever. No one has ever catered to Oceanic players; some times we get servers labeled as “Oceanic”, but that’s all it is. It’s just a label. Nothing changes.

I love playing with my Ameribros, anyway. Any Aussie that’s complaining about this needs to take a leaf from Chopper and harden up.

Act 3 Event Timing

in Halloween Event

Posted by: CptUndies.9815

CptUndies.9815

Now I’ll probably get hate for this, but if you remember when you picked the servers there were only “North American Servers” and “European Servers”. I don’t remember “Oceanic Servers” as selections. Considering this, having it at a time on Sunday which can fit for both NA and EU Servers seems decent.

The game was distributed and sold (officially, not as gray imports) in Australia and it defaults to North American servers. No warning on the box that some events may not be conducive to your timezone. Your argument is invalid.

Act 3 Event Timing

in Halloween Event

Burkderp.3904

As an Aussie I can completely understand Arena Net’s decision on this. I’ll be up at 6am Monday the 29th of October to see it – it’s what we do. We’ve done it ever since… ever. No one has ever catered to Oceanic players; some times we get servers labeled as “Oceanic”, but that’s all it is. It’s just a label. Nothing changes.

I love playing with my Ameribros, anyway. Any Aussie that’s complaining about this needs to take a leaf from Chopper and harden up.

Some of us have to go to work by 6am. The event happening once doesn’t only affect us. Look at all the SEA guys its 3am+ for them. The event needs to repeat.

Think subjectively please.

Act 3 Event Timing

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Vigil.3408

Vigil.3408

Think subjectively please.

But I am. I start work at 7am. I’m just saying that we all should be used to this sort of thing. It’s never, ever been any different. Server-wide events have always been a struggle for us. Ahn’qiraj anyone?

Act 3 Event Timing

in Halloween Event

Posted by: gogoapoxy.1425

gogoapoxy.1425

Didn’t read the full thread, but am I missing something? The “one time” thing is the BEGINNING of the Act 3, not the full act not even the Finale. One can only surmise it’s something arriving /changing and it’s a one time thing (because “it” doesn’t change/show up constantly). I’d be inclined to assume it has to do with the degrading lion statue to be converted into something.

So unless this beginning of act 3 is the full act, I find the whole complaint mostly irrelevant.

Act 3 Event Timing

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Haishao.6851

Haishao.6851

In order to make sure a few people don’t have the temptation to go, themselves, watch it on Youtube, they make it so the majority of people will have no choice but to watch it on Youtube?

Act 3 Event Timing

in Halloween Event

Burkderp.3904

Didn’t read the full thread, but am I missing something? The “one time” thing is the BEGINNING of the Act 3, not the full act not even the Finale. One can only surmise it’s something arriving /changing and it’s a one time thing (because “it” doesn’t change/show up constantly). I’d be inclined to assume it has to do with the degrading lion statue to be converted into something.

So unless this beginning of act 3 is the full act, I find the whole complaint mostly irrelevant.

How can it be irrelevant when we don’t know what it entails or what rewards are given?

Act 3 Event Timing

in Halloween Event

Posted by: psy.5437

psy.5437

Hate to say it, but as any Aussie GW1 player knows ANet just don’t care about this corner of the world.

Act 3 Event Timing

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Blinded.6279

Blinded.6279

Anyone who really wants to attend this event can.. 3 am? get up, see it, go back to sleep… They sold it world wide to make money, but its based in the US and thus might cater to them. Get over it or uninstall.. =D

BlindedFury
Maguuma

Act 3 Event Timing

in Halloween Event

Jest.9276

<3 Chopper

Act 3 Event Timing

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Panderp.9753

Panderp.9753

They’re not favoring a specific country of players, they are simply choosing the time where they have peak amount of players. How is it their fault that it just happens that at 12PM PST that they have the most players on? I bet if the Oceanic players had more player on at any time they would had picked that time instead.

Act 3 Event Timing

in Halloween Event

Burkderp.3904

They’re not favoring a specific country of players, they are simply choosing the time where they have peak amount of players. How is it their fault that it just happens that at 12PM PST that they have the most players on? I bet if the Oceanic players had more player on at any time they would had picked that time instead.

Sure… lol

They could at least repeat the event for those that have commitments or live in different time zones. If the issue was swapped the QQ would be enormous.

Act 3 Event Timing

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Berelious.3290

Berelious.3290

Ok, I feel I need to put in my two cents worth. People who are comparing this to GW1 events fail to take into account that GW1 had two campaigns over which they could spread this, where as GW2 has a single event in a single campaign. Even that being the case, if they were able to spread it across time zones, there’s no way EVERYBODY is still going to make it. I can remember several years in GW1 where it was impossible for me to participate in holiday events simply because I work nights on the east coast, USA. If you can’t make it, you can’t make it, but quit complaining that ANet isn’t trying to take everybody into account, because that’s not the case.

Corwin Grimjaw: Guardian (80)
Yak’s Bend Server
Crimethink [ct]

Act 3 Event Timing

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Panderp.9753

Panderp.9753

It’s all about catering to the majority these days, and you know full well that Oceanic are usually not the majority simply because of the major time difference between EU and Asia which splits you into two different groups in the already small group.

Act 3 Event Timing

in Halloween Event

Burkderp.3904

Ok, I feel I need to put in my two cents worth. People who are comparing this to GW1 events fail to take into account that GW1 had two campaigns over which they could spread this, where as GW2 has a single event in a single campaign. Even that being the case, if they were able to spread it across time zones, there’s no way EVERYBODY is still going to make it. I can remember several years in GW1 where it was impossible for me to participate in holiday events simply because I work nights on the east coast, USA. If you can’t make it, you can’t make it, but quit complaining that ANet isn’t trying to take everybody into account, because that’s not the case.

We don’t want everybody to be able to participate because that is impossible. What would be nice however is more options. Make the event repeat 2 more times or at least once. Anet did try to get as many people in as possible thats true but it’s not enough. They are essentially cutting out a whole region SEA its 3am+ on a Monday morning. I feel for those guys who may not even get the chance to wake up and go to sleep for it. Giving people options is never a bad thing.

Act 3 Event Timing

in Halloween Event

Posted by: cainejw.7142

cainejw.7142

Unfortunately, I am in graduate school. I will be in classes. This “informed, calculated” decision means I cannot attend the event. This “informed, calculated” decision also prevents me from participating in any repeats. These repeats will not take place because the developers would rather not have people being spoiled through youtube videos and forum posts.

So, I will be forced to rely on youtube videos and forum posts for spoilers to the event I won’t be able to attend during the one run through instead of being able to participate when I can play.

I’m so glad that an “informed, calculated” decision like this could exclude me from participating and enjoying the event.

I got into Guild Wars 1 because the developers made so many decisions that made the game accessible no matter the time zone, level, or ability. There were challenges, but there was also tons of fun.

Guild Wars 2, however, seems to be aiming for another model.

(edited by cainejw.7142)

Act 3 Event Timing

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Widowmaker Z.4802

Widowmaker Z.4802

Single vs multiple campaigns has nothing to do with it. When it was just
Prophecies in 2005, they ran the events at multiple times also.

Act 3 Event Timing

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Polantaris.9513

Polantaris.9513

Now I’ll probably get hate for this, but if you remember when you picked the servers there were only “North American Servers” and “European Servers”. I don’t remember “Oceanic Servers” as selections. Considering this, having it at a time on Sunday which can fit for both NA and EU Servers seems decent.

The game was distributed and sold (officially, not as gray imports) in Australia and it defaults to North American servers. No warning on the box that some events may not be conducive to your timezone. Your argument is invalid.

No, it’s not. They officially sold it anywhere they knew it would sell because it would…I don’t know, sell? Money is money. If they know it will sell somewhere, why not?

The concept of there being no servers for your region automatically implies that events may not be suitable for your region. That’s like if I complained that the events for a JP MMO wasn’t suitable for me in America, it’s illogical. The game was set up with American and European servers. If you’re outside of those regions, to expect the events to be catered to you is stupid.

Now I agree that they should be doing events multiple times and their reasoning for not doing it is stupid. However, since they’ve made that decision, expecting the event to cater to Oceanic players instead of the players the servers were meant for (NA, EU), regardless of where the game was sold, is stupid.

Act 3 Event Timing

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Selluna.5168

Selluna.5168

@ Polantaris. No one said we wanted you to cater to us INSTEAD of you. We just want it to cater to both us and you.

Act 3 Event Timing

in Halloween Event

Burkderp.3904

No, it’s not. They officially sold it anywhere they knew it would sell because it would…I don’t know, sell? Money is money. If they know it will sell somewhere, why not?

The concept of there being no servers for your region automatically implies that events may not be suitable for your region. That’s like if I complained that the events for a JP MMO wasn’t suitable for me in America, it’s illogical. The game was set up with American and European servers. If you’re outside of those regions, to expect the events to be catered to you is stupid.

Now I agree that they should be doing events multiple times and their reasoning for not doing it is stupid. However, since they’ve made that decision, expecting the event to cater to Oceanic players instead of the players the servers were meant for (NA, EU), regardless of where the game was sold, is stupid.

No it’s not.

Act 3 Event Timing

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Reevac.1748

Reevac.1748

Everyone is so up in arms. Anet said their peak time is when they are releasing it. From what it sounds like it’s one time because:

1) There is no reward
2) It sounds like it’s a permanent change

Act 3 Event Timing

in Halloween Event

Posted by: gogoapoxy.1425

gogoapoxy.1425

How can it be irrelevant when we don’t know what it entails or what rewards are given?

So what are the complaints? That it only happens once? So? If there’s some reward then there’d be an argument, but for a simple show, that’s much less of an argument because…it can be viewed on youtube afterwards.

Yes we don’t know, so the complaints seem to be from those that believe a) it’s the finale, or b) they get something out of it. but seeing as how it’s the “beginning” of Act 3, it makes little sense to provide something from it.

Act 3 Event Timing

in Halloween Event

Burkderp.3904

So what are the complaints? That it only happens once? So? If there’s some reward then there’d be an argument, but for a simple show, that’s much less of an argument because…it can be viewed on youtube afterwards.

Yes we don’t know, so the complaints seem to be from those that believe a) it’s the finale, or b) they get something out of it. but seeing as how it’s the “beginning” of Act 3, it makes little sense to provide something from it.

But you have no idea if they will or not. So thus not irrelevant.

Act 3 Event Timing

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Highvoltage.7946

Highvoltage.7946

TUFF! Now hush and dont ruin it for those that can make it! majority wins

Act 3 Event Timing

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Yeroc.7516

Yeroc.7516

As an American gamer, I will be boycotting the event and I invite you all to do the same. The way they are handling this is ridiculous. There is no reason why they can’t instance the event which you are brought to the first time you log on after noon PST. This would function exactly how the tutorial instances work. This is a bad decision on Anet’s part. Let’s send a message by having the lowest concurrency count since launch. Who’s with me?

Act 3 Event Timing

in Halloween Event

Posted by: kingslayer.1342

kingslayer.1342

As an American gamer, I will be boycotting the event and I invite you all to do the same. The way they are handling this is ridiculous. There is no reason why they can’t instance the event which you are brought to the first time you log on after noon PST. This would function exactly how the tutorial instances work. This is a bad decision on Anet’s part. Let’s send a message by having the lowest concurrency count since launch. Who’s with me?

Amen!

Act 3 Event Timing

in Halloween Event

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

Anyone who really wants to attend this event can.. 3 am? get up, see it, go back to sleep…

Yes, because wives, girlfriends, husbands, boyfriends, and other SOs are going to LOVE being woken up by an alarm in the small hours of the morning so their bed partner can go to an event in a game. Bosses and educators are really going to be sympathetic to people whose sleeping characteristics are such so that they can’t just go back to sleep at the drop of a hat when they show up half-asleep because they woke up in the small hours of the morning to attend an event in a computer game. Parents of teens (the game is rated to allow for teens, is it not?) are really going to make exceptions to the normal times their children are supposed to be in bed for an event in a computer game.

Not everyone has a lifestyle that makes getting up in the morning as simple a decision to make as it would be for you. Is it fair for them to miss out on all of the special events?

Now, if ArenaNet calculated what proportion of their player base was in the eastern hemisphere and scheduled that proportion of one-off events to happen at times convenient to them, that’d be fair… but the riot when the first such event was scheduled would likely be awesome to behold.

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

Act 3 Event Timing

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Firebird Gomer.9563

Firebird Gomer.9563

I’m sorry but you really are mistaken with that statement……. There are plenty of other ideas that Anet could have done.

Created a instance where the event happens….. Created a cutscene when you first go to Lions Arch after the update…..

So sorry please stop typing now…… Have a nice day…..

Act 3 Event Timing

in Halloween Event

Firebird Gomer.9563

Mif.3471

Saturday 2pm PST / Saturday 9pm GMT / Sunday 7am AEST would of allowed everyone to enjoy the event.

Sorry No that only makes it suit your time zone……. There are people on the Western Side of Australia as well…… and people in Singapore are moving backwards from there…. So no that DOESN’T fix the problem.

Look at my post above….. 2 simple ideas that fix the problem…… choose one and it doesnt matter cause then EVERYONE gets to be a part of it…… And as for the Spoilers statement that truely is just a cop-out as Anet knows they stuffed up…..

MAN UP ANET and fix it………

Act 3 Event Timing

in Halloween Event

Jest.9276

I’m sorry but you really are mistaken with that statement……. There are plenty of other ideas that Anet could have done.

Created a instance where the event happens….. Created a cutscene when you first go to Lions Arch after the update…..

So sorry please stop typing now…… Have a nice day…..

Creating an Instance doesn’t allow for the feel of a Community Event. It would have the same feel as the Story Quests.

Creating a Cutscene assumes that the event is static and isn’t actually able to be interacted with.

No need to be rude either.

Act 3 Event Timing

in Halloween Event

Firebird Gomer.9563

Yes but by setting a specific time only you are cutting off at large part of the “communtity” which then defeats the purpose of a “Communtity Event” because part of your player base are either at work, asleep or unavailable to take part in the “Communtity Event” which then defeats the purpose of the Event……. Doesnt it…..

As for the cutscene if its a one time action its likely not interactive other than you standing there and watching it happen so therefore a cutscene everyone can see is a better idea…..

As for being rude your right I shouldn’t be rude so I apologise……

Again I state there are plenty of idea’s that could be done instead

Act 3 Event Timing

in Halloween Event

Jest.9276

Yes but by setting a specific time only you are cutting off at large part of the “communtity” which then defeats the purpose of a “Communtity Event” because part of your player base are either at work, asleep or unavailable to take part in the “Communtity Event” which then defeats the purpose of the Event……. Doesnt it…..

I think you’re either underestimating the total population of players worldwide or you’re overestimating the players who can’t make it. Anet has the population metrics and seeing as how the time and day they chose has the most concurrent players, that means more are playing than not at that time and day. And the Community feel of thousands of players can easily be achieved despite cutting out a portion of the populace.

As for the cutscene if its a one time action its likely not interactive other than you standing there and watching it happen so therefore a cutscene everyone can see is a better idea…..

Actually the Hunger Games event from Beta Weekends and the Infection Event from Beta Weekends are examples of huge, one time only events that are interactive. If you didn’t take part in those, it’s hard to explain but I’m sure videos can be looked up online. Basically it can be entire Server involving without it simply being NPC interaction. Another example would be the opening of AQ.

Again I state there are plenty of idea’s that could be done instead

I’m not denying that there are not other options.. but any other choices would logically dilute the effect of the event at best.

Act 3 Event Timing

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Account.9832

Account.9832

You can’t please everyone. ANET is a US company not Asian or European. Get over it.

Funded by Korean money, with the majority of their servers in Europe, and employing developers from all over the world.

The 21st century is a wonderful place, as you’ll see when you finally get there.

- Al Zheimer