3 new Biomes = just 3 new maps?

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Kite.2510

Kite.2510

Q:

I was sleeping during the reveal, but I’ve heard VisualWood mentioning that 3 new biomes were announced, without going into any specific.

Tell me it is not just 3 maps!

…and don’t be toxic!

Posted by: I See No Tomorrow.7302

I See No Tomorrow.7302

A:

The new biomes are the underground, surface, and canopy of the Maguuma Jungle
It hasn’t been confirmed how many new maps there will be

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

Maybe the biomes are just the jungle and there will be another region revealed in a later post? Maybe there is more than 1 map per biome. I really don’t know what to think, three biomes/maps? sounds a little small for an expansion.

Posted by: Captain Unusual.9163

Captain Unusual.9163

Why assume each biome is just one map? Orr is a single biome, and has 3 maps. Shiverpeaks and Ascalon are each one biome, with multiple maps.

Posted by: TurtleofPower.5641

TurtleofPower.5641

It’s impossible to say how many maps there will be yet. I would guess minimum 10-15… anything less than that for such a hyped expansion would be a little strange, unless it’s not going to cost much.

Posted by: SkylightMoon.1980

SkylightMoon.1980

biomes are not maps. they are levels of maps. and no i seriously doubt it will be 10 new maps. id guess around 5-6.

Posted by: darkprecure.6129

darkprecure.6129

Mursaat city, villages of other cultures, jungle zones… I bet there will be more then just one Map with 3 biomes.

Posted by: ChoChoBo.6503

ChoChoBo.6503

It could be that every new zone will have 3 biomes to them. So every map will be built vertically. Chris said in the last POI video that ArenaNet has been experimenting and really excited about maps that are vertical, rather than the traditional horizontal maps.

Take Silverwastes, there’s the above ground and then the below ground levels that doubles the playable area in a, relatively, small zone.

So giving us 5-10 maps in HoT with 3 floors to explore is like giving us 15-30x the explorable areas

Posted by: Aedelric.1287

Aedelric.1287

Yea the biome thing is three parts of one map as it was mentioned that you can jump down and use your Hang Glider or climb to the top. If you look at the different regions in the video, it seems we are going to get a substantial amount of maps.

“I am Evon Gnashblade and this message is acceptable to me.”

SkylightMoon.1980

I just looked up region on the gw2 wiki. Each region in guild wars 2 has around 6 maps. So im guessing about 6 new maps which im fine with.

Posted by: Kentaine.4692

Kentaine.4692

Three biomes (example: ascalon, kryta, shiverpeaks…) stacked on top of each other. Just 5 new ‘maps’ as shown on the world view would be 15 new maps this way. I think it’s kinda clever. Cram up to 15 maps into the space of 5. I just hope you can jump from the canopy all the way down to the roots in some places… and no, I won’t use a glider.

Posted by: Pinkamena Diane Pie.8054

Pinkamena Diane Pie.8054

Biomes = map layers

eg The Grove has the best use of these where you have different levels within the tree.

I think what we need to know is how many new zones will there be? But remember even if the number is low, each zone with have 3 layers.

The WvW Forum Poster Formerly Known As Omaris Mortuus Est

Posted by: Erukk.1408

Erukk.1408

With the sheer height and level of detail they are giving us with each map, I wouldn’t be all that surprised if they only give us 3-4 maps. It would still be nice to get 6+ though.

Posted by: IIvIIozzie.9250

IIvIIozzie.9250

Three biomes (example: ascalon, kryta, shiverpeaks…) stacked on top of each other. Just 5 new ‘maps’ as shown on the world view would be 15 new maps this way. I think it’s kinda clever. Cram up to 15 maps into the space of 5. I just hope you can jump from the canopy all the way down to the roots in some places… and no, I won’t use a glider.

I wouldn’t get too excited. Yes, three levels per zone and 6 zones for HoT sounds right, but each level is likely not going to be a full map size. You will rather need to move to different levels in order to traverse the full map, just as we’ve experienced with Dry top and silverwastes. I also expect that the current location tool in the map window (the thing that breaks down layers) will be important to utilize for understanding location.

(edited by IIvIIozzie.9250)

Posted by: Kraljevo.2801

Kraljevo.2801

So giving us 5-10 maps in HoT with 3 floors to explore is like giving us 15-30x the explorable areas

This.

Posted by: HailTheKing.8176

HailTheKing.8176

I just looked up region on the gw2 wiki. Each region in guild wars 2 has around 6 maps. So im guessing about 6 new maps which im fine with.

Yes i did look it up too and if it is 5-6 maps i think it’s just a fine amount of new maps actually we never know tho ^^ more details will be announced has we go closer to release date SO EXCITED been waiting for everything they announced and the hang gliders are just a + in my opinion will be alot of fun to try that out

Posted by: evilunderling.9265

evilunderling.9265

To best show off the new gliders, I think I’d expect to see a handful of massive zones that individually push the game’s seamless world tech to its limit.

Posted by: Sube Dai.8496

Sube Dai.8496

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biome

Biome = region = multiple maps.

Maguuma Wastes and Maguuma Jungle are probably a given.

My bet for number 3 is either IoJ, Crystal Desert, or Ring of Fire.

John Snowman [GLTY]
Space Marine Z [GLTY]

Posted by: darkprecure.6129

darkprecure.6129

The 3 biomes are roots of the trees, Mid-Level of trees and canopy. That’s what they told us.

SkylightMoon.1980

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biome

Biome = region = multiple maps.

Maguuma Wastes and Maguuma Jungle are probably a given.

My bet for number 3 is either IoJ, Crystal Desert, or Ring of Fire.

You misunderstand. He means the maps have multiple layers. If you watched the presentation he said the jungle has the core layer, the roots(below), and the canopy. This is how the maps are layered. As for the number of maps, its probably 6. Thats my guess, I hope for more. Colin also said 1 new region, the heart of maguuma(something like that). A region consists of typically 5-7 zones which is why I said 6.

Posted by: Wanderer.3248

Wanderer.3248

< 3 maps and I will be a sad Quaggan.

More than 6 and I’ll be running around like a Quaggan who’s Wintersdays have all come at once.

Posted by: Maxwell.7843

Maxwell.7843

While I too hope there will be a lot of maps (don’t we all?), at the moment it’s impossible to know.

“Three biomes” might mean “One big map (Heart of Maguma) with 3 vertical levels”.
Or maybe the current map will be expanded east, and there will be space for more than a couple new zones.

My bet is 2-3 new maps, each with 3 vertical levels, so that the actual final number feels more like 2-3 x3.

(edited by Maxwell.7843)

Posted by: Nihilus.3015

Nihilus.3015

I was sleeping during the reveal, but I’ve heard VisualWood mentioning that 3 new biomes were announced, without going into any specific.

Its 1 map

AmateurNet

Posted by: Nihilus.3015

Nihilus.3015

Its 1 map

AmateurNet

SkylightMoon.1980

Why are people overthinking this? Biomes is simply talking about how the map is layered. Literally from top to bottom. There is the ground layer. The roots layer(below), and the canopy in the sky of the tree tops. Its nothing to do with how many maps there are.

If you want a good guess about number of maps, its probably 5-7 from what we already know about regions. One new region is added and every other region in the game has 5-7 maps. Some regions are much bigger than others, lik ethe shiverpeaks.