A legendary Wait - Patience Mastery!

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Sold Out Again.4129

Sold Out Again.4129

So this post has been discussed a lot.

I personally know a -bunch- of people who sat down and said: “The first thing I wanna do is go for the precursor masteries in Heart of Thorns. I want to be finally able to make a legendary. Ideally one of the new ones.”

But right now that seems impossible.

Linsey Murdock:

For now, I’ll say that we’ve been working on new legendary weapons, the first handful of which will be introduced in Heart of Thorns, with more to come in subsequent updates.

So basically we will get to see a greatsword and 4 others, and then we get to wait half a year for the remaining legendaries? Why was this announced as a feature of the upcoming expansion? Because at this point it’s starting to sound very, very, worryingly much like a direct lie.

Can we have a clear statement, a red post, on whether there will be a -full- set of legendaries? Because it does not -seem- so.

“We will do it later” is not a statement you can throw around when designing an expansion, as opposed to say, the Living Story. And a clear statement would very, very, very much be appreciated. Do we get one legendary for every type? Or do we get five legendaries and have to wait a few more -months- just to be able to make, say, a rifle?

And what, is there other content of the expansion that was announced going to be introduced ‘later’? Because that’s what is called unfinished content.

Posted by: Dante.1763

Dante.1763

We dont know their definition of a handful(Could be as little as 2 or up to 10), and we dont know what weapons will even come with HOT). But i agree a clear statement would be appreciated. They did at least say that they will be doing another deep dive on the new legendaries,maybe we will get our answer then?

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

(edited by Dante.1763)

Posted by: Blaeys.3102

Blaeys.3102

You wont see an official response on this because, most likely, they simply don’t know themselves.

It is logical to assume they are working on all of them (and the associated mastery paths for each) and will include the ones that are ready when the game launches.

Rightfully so, this is not something that should hold up the launch of the expansion.

Sold Out Again.4129

Rightfully so, this is not something that should hold up the launch of the expansion.

I don’t really understand this definition of ‘holding up the expansion’. An expansion is supposed to be a finished product, not half of one, the second half to be patched in later when they feel like it. Or is this something among the lines of…

Attachments:

Posted by: Blaeys.3102

Blaeys.3102

I don’t really understand this definition of ‘holding up the expansion’. An expansion is supposed to be a finished product, not half of one, the second half to be patched in later when they feel like it. Or is this something among the lines of…

If a few weapon skins make up a full half of the expansion, then there are bigger issues at hand (might consider toning down the hyperbole).

What I meant by this is that there are things I expect day one and things I think can wait just a little longer so we can actually get the game faster. Putting the groundwork to get these things into the game in place is what matters.

I expect a full expansion when it launches. However, I also expect periodic additions post launch as well, including new fractals, ongoing living story steps, new maps (ala Dryptop and Silverwastes) additional mastery lines, new pvp maps and, yes, additional legendary weapons. Just as importantly, I expect Anet to use good judgement about what constitutes a full expansion and when that is ready (and which elements might take just a little longer to get to us).

I see the expansion as adding two VERY important things day one – a significant amount of new things to do in the game and (just as important), the foundation needed to more quickly add content via free updates in the short term future. Give us that, and the expansion will be a success.

Sold Out Again.4129

I honestly don’t fear the expansion’s general quality as much. And the reason I’m more grumped than the Grinch around christmas is simply the fact that “New legendaries” was this big announcement that came hand in hand with Heart of Thorns’ first live reveal, paired with this big, cheeky grin from Colin. Imagine he had announced “Some new legendaries, and the rest come later.” With his “c:” like smirk.

Posted by: MashMash.1645

MashMash.1645

Several things:

• “Why was this announced as a feature of the upcoming expansion?”

Because it’s a feature of the upcoming expansion. Not before, and not after – literally as part of HoT. (This seems like a weird comment – what else would it be part of, if not HoT? I’m confused).

• “Because at this point it’s starting to sound very, very, worryingly much like a direct lie.”

How is it a lie? It hasn’t happened yet, and we haven’t had HoT launch, so you are speculating. If HoT launches and the new system is absent, or their are no Legendaries, then yes it’s a lie. (Sidenote: Are you a time traveler?)

• “Can we have a clear statement, a red post, on whether there will be a -full- set of legendaries? Because it does not -seem- so.”

I assume you mean the new ones, because the blog mentions all the old ones are being done over. What are you basing your speculation on?

• ““We will do it later” is not a statement you can throw around when designing an expansion”. Well, apparently it is – that is literally their exact plan. Also, have you played MMO’s before, or basically any game for the past 30 years? That is what 90% of every game dev has said. Ever. (I mean this as a joke, but you hear this all the time – in all games lol).

People are extrapolating way too much based on too little information. And they flat out said another post about the new ones is coming.

Pre-Ordered HoT | Recently started to get what I paid for – may spend $$$

Sold Out Again.4129

Read my first post again. Especially the little bit in the quotation area. I’m not a time traveller, I just read what Anet wrote. The blog clearly states that we won’t even be getting all the new legendaries with the expansion. Which is where the “lie” bit comes in. Taking apart a post sentence by sentence is fine and dandy, but please read it first.

Posted by: Fade.1743

Fade.1743

Read my first post again. Especially the little bit in the quotation area. I’m not a time traveller, I just read what Anet wrote. The blog clearly states that we won’t even be getting all the new legendaries with the expansion. Which is where the “lie” bit comes in. Taking apart a post sentence by sentence is fine and dandy, but please read it first.

You do realize that Legendaries are for the most part just art assets, right? The people who are programming the system to make all the new stuff with the Precursor crafting AND the map bonuses have barely anything to do the actual design of the animation.

That blog was a GAME MECHANICS update. The reason they said a handful is because there are people that would throw hissy fits if the art team was unable to get all the new legendaries out by launch.

Also, remember that EVERY Precursor (or almost every since the Hunter is an exception to current Precursor designs by having a unique model) will have to have THREE new models. As will subsequent precursors + legendaries. That’s a HUGE amount of work for the art team.

Magichemist Zeke – Asura Elementalist [TC]
An Insane(ly Intelligent) Genius!
“Did you just tell me the rules? Never tell me the rules!”

Posted by: Endo Kazuki.2086

Endo Kazuki.2086

Yes read what Anet wrote. They clearly say, a handful legendaries will be released with HoT and others will come with updates.. Updates are part of HoT which you do not have to pay for when you bought HoT, so how is Anet lying and how is this unfinished? Also if Anet decides to bring out the other legendaries out with HoT updates that has some background story, wouldnt that be even better, with people complaining that there is no lore with legendaries.

In your post about Colin and his “new legendaries” announcement, there is no reason for him to explicitly say how the legendaries are gonna be released, he ain’t lying, we are getting new legendaries. Not sure how you do not understand that.

I think you need read things more clearly instead of telling other people to read things again before you complain.

Sold Out Again.4129

In your post about Colin and his “new legendaries” announcement, there is no reason for him to explicitly say how the legendaries are gonna be released, he ain’t lying, we are getting new legendaries.

Except that he said we will get them with the expansion. : >

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Another way to look at it is that they won’t stop making legendaries. I’m rather glad to hear they’ll keep delivering new content after HoT launch. (It seems probable to me that this new content won’t cost us money, so long as we’re logged in when it’s available).

It could also mean there’ll be a solid set of new legendaries and that later on there will be even more of the same weapon types. People grouse that GS gets 3 options (though they’re all basically the same ridiculous surfboard, just with different effects). What if all weapon types eventually get a trio of choices?

“Handful” could be a relative term compared with the planned total. I suppose they’d have avoided some of the feline storm by saying “the first batch” instead.

I agree it would be a bit paltry to launch with just one or two new choices of legendary to build, but I won’t leap to conclusions about how many there will be until ANet actually lists the ones ready for launch. Even if they just say “new one of weapons x, y, and z,” that will give hard numbers to debate.

Posted by: Ranatoa.4869

Ranatoa.4869

I just want to take a moment to point out that Colin said we would be getting new Legendaries with HoT. He never once has he said we will get a complete set, including one of each weapon, the day HoT launches.

Posted by: SkyFallsInThunder.8257

SkyFallsInThunder.8257

We can split the hair all we want and debate semantics, but the cold hard fact is this: when you announce that new legends are coming with HoT paid expansion, any reasonable normal person would assume that all legends (one or more of each type) will go live at the same time with HoT paid expansion. If you come later and say that actually only a few are coming on launch date and the rest are later, then that is a form of bait and switch and is a low move. Legends may not be a lot for some players, but for others they represent a big deal and are eagerly expecting them.

Also, a major lol at the arguments that it’s hard to make the skins because they are “so many”. Please. They have been working on this expansion for a long time and if one really thinks designing/implementing them takes a long enough time to justify postponing their release, then one… has interesting thought processes!

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

How can it be ‘bait and switch’ if you’ve not yet purchased it? If they have given you the information before any money has changed hands, I don’t see how anyone has been ‘wronged’.

Or is it hurt feelings, or dashed expectations that need to be remunerated?

Consider the base game for a cost, and all ‘free’ content after as part of the base cost.
Now, an expansion, at a cost, and all related content ‘free’ from later patches/releases.

Everything you pay for will not be available in the first release/launch, just as it wasn’t in the base game/launch release.

Posted by: KotCR.6024

KotCR.6024

Linsey Murdock:

For now, I’ll say that we’ve been working on new legendary weapons, the first handful of which will be introduced in Heart of Thorns, with more to come in subsequent updates.

Personally, I’m perfectly fine with this (although it would be nice if they’d give us a bit of info on up-and-coming legendaries so people can start gathering the mats they’ll need ready for their release), as legendaries take a while to get anyway (discounting credit cards), under two conditions:

1: We actually get the missing legendaries tracks eventually, and within reasonable time – not three years after the release of HoT.
2: The way the PR is handled. When we actually get the rest of the legendaries that were originally going to be in HoT, Anet need to be like:
Good news everyone! We’ve finally finished work on the other six legendaries we promised you, and the collections required to begin your legendary character defining journey are finally available! If you own Heart of Thorns, click here/see in-game for more info and background knowledge on these epic weapons!”
…rather than..
WOAW! BRAND NEW CONTENT INCOMING! SIX BRAND NEW AWESOME LEGENDARRRIIIEESS HAVE BEEN ADDED TO THE GAME! AREN’T WE FANTASTIC GIVING YOU ALL THIS AMAZING FREE NEVER BEFORE SEEN CONTENT FOR HEARTS OF THORN OWNERS! AREN’T WE JUST THE BEST HERE AT ANET? NOW GET DOWN ON YOUR KNEES!”
‘Bonus’ points if a gemstore item is required to craft the post-HoT release legendaries :’(.

I can’t remember exactly which game it was now, but a game I played several years ago did this in the past – promised something at release, but didn’t have it, saying they would release it later (which is fair enough, but…), then only added it in a patch a while later and tried to pawn it off as ‘brand new free content, aren’t we awesome?’. It really got my back up (I guess these days this could fit alot of games though, right?).

(edited by KotCR.6024)

Posted by: PorceleinEve.2973

PorceleinEve.2973

Also, remember that EVERY Precursor (or almost every since the Hunter is an exception to current Precursor designs by having a unique model) will have to have THREE new models. As will subsequent precursors + legendaries. That’s a HUGE amount of work for the art team.

we got like what? 20 legendaries total? and we’ll get another 20 “eventually”. so 40 total. times 3 for the similarly themed precursors. that’s 160 (adding the precursors and the legendaries themselves) skins, in 40 thematically connected sets of four (not even gonna take out the legendaries that are already in game).

you’re right, OMG how are they gonna pull that massive feat of art i wonder. guys i don’t think we’ll be seeing this expansion before 2018. we’re talking about 160 skins here. the number, it’s just huge. i think wow has like 3 new skins in every expansion.

all fun and giggles aside though, if they can pull skins every now and then to put into the gem store, they can easily craft 160 skins and more. the -only- problem here is that they started working on the expansion late (that’s why it’s so bloody small), they announced way to early cause they probably were bleeding out people who got tired of the silence (loosing money of course), and now they’re being cautious as they strongly suspect that there’s not enough time (folks won’t wait for ever for an expansion, this isn’t wow) to put everything in the actual expansion and they leave stuff they deem not essential “for later”. and that’s about it.

and the op is right in not cutting them any slack, nobody should but i get it, white knighting is a thing in mmos these days. somehow folks don’t see them as products but as something very near and dear to their hearts.

Posted by: Andred.1087

Andred.1087

white knighting is a thing in mmos these days. somehow folks don’t see them as products but as something very near and dear to their hearts.

What, so everybody who doesn’t immediately assume the worst is somehow invalidated as a “white knight” who would never be critical of the game? Real productive rhetoric you got there. I wish people would quit spouting this trash.

“You’ll PAY to know what you really think.” ~ J. R. “Bob” Dobbs

Posted by: Valento.9852

Valento.9852

I seriously hope for SAB.

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

Posted by: Zanshin.5379

Zanshin.5379

I’ll bet greatswords will be part of the first new legendaries we’ll see.

Posted by: Nikkinella.8254

Nikkinella.8254

^I hope not. We have 3 already and just 1 of every other type. Hoping we atleast get new daggers and 1 handed swords first.

Posted by: Fade.1743

Fade.1743

we got like what? 20 legendaries total? and we’ll get another 20 “eventually”. so 40 total. times 3 for the similarly themed precursors. that’s 160 (adding the precursors and the legendaries themselves) skins, in 40 thematically connected sets of four (not even gonna take out the legendaries that are already in game).

you’re right, OMG how are they gonna pull that massive feat of art i wonder. guys i don’t think we’ll be seeing this expansion before 2018. we’re talking about 160 skins here. the number, it’s just huge. i think wow has like 3 new skins in every expansion.

all fun and giggles aside though, if they can pull skins every now and then to put into the gem store, they can easily craft 160 skins and more. the -only- problem here is that they started working on the expansion late (that’s why it’s so bloody small), they announced way to early cause they probably were bleeding out people who got tired of the silence (loosing money of course), and now they’re being cautious as they strongly suspect that there’s not enough time (folks won’t wait for ever for an expansion, this isn’t wow) to put everything in the actual expansion and they leave stuff they deem not essential “for later”. and that’s about it.

and the op is right in not cutting them any slack, nobody should but i get it, white knighting is a thing in mmos these days. somehow folks don’t see them as products but as something very near and dear to their hearts.

I’m not white-knighting. I’m exposing a logical fallacy that you also intend to partake in. My entire point was that the blog post was about game mechanics and systems and NOT art assets (which Legendaries visually fall under for I’d hope are various obvious reasons).

These are two different teams working on the same system; however, mechanics can be objectively judged as to how long they take to complete and figure out when it is a good time to announce while art assets have some subjectivity in them.

The reason for the blog leaving the amount of legendaries vague is exactly what’s been said in this chat. If they say that every weapon type gets a new legendary and something comes up where one’s not ready for release, players will undoubtedly don the behind-hat and spew from it. If they say only a handful will be ready for release and end up actually getting them all done, then it looks better. And if they can’t, oh well…they didn’t promise they could.

I’d rather have the company continue to be realistic and honest with its goal rather than announce a crapton of content and end up pulling back on half of it because it wasn’t feasible.

Magichemist Zeke – Asura Elementalist [TC]
An Insane(ly Intelligent) Genius!
“Did you just tell me the rules? Never tell me the rules!”

PorceleinEve.2973

What, so everybody who doesn’t immediately assume the worst is somehow invalidated as a “white knight” who would never be critical of the game? Real productive rhetoric you got there. I wish people would quit spouting this trash.

perhaps you missed the point of my post, could be that your shiny knight helmet is obstructing your vision. here have it in plainer form… if you think that having to produce skins is the bulk of the work, and that’s the reason why we won’t have a full selection of legendaries to craft from the get go, then my friend, yes, you’re white knighting harder than king arthur. i’m sorry you don’t like it, but it’s ok, nobody said there’s something wrong with your armour, only that some of us, refuse to wear one.

productive rhetoric? actually i do find my rhetoric quite productive. instead of going “it’s alright anet, do less work, i’ll never hold you accountable for that, i’ll swallow every hyped up statement you make and defend you in your forums cause you can never do anything bad” i’m behaving like a consumer, who wants a product, and i make sure that the company knows of my needs and wants for this game. that way they know what they need to do to get my money, and if enough of like minded folks do the same, the game will go towards a direction i find more appealing for me. i am after all a consumer of their products. instead of white knighting i would suggest that you do the same. so the game ends up with characteristics that are more to your liking. but then again, you don’t really matter do you? you’ll feed ‘em money no matter what cause you’re totally in love with the game and probably unable to exercise control over your impulses. (a bit dramatic i know, but hey it’s the forums so why not)

generally speaking, assuming the worst is always the best possible stance to adopt. i can either be proven correct, or be pleasantly surprised. and the criticism that’s being done to the company keeps ‘em accountable. i wish more people would do that. the “wait and see stance” is the worst stance to adopt. cause by the time you’ll see it’ll be too late for them to do something. criticizing now is the right time, when there’s still time for them to adapt to their client’s needs. cause, believe it or not, that’s what we are, their clients. they’re selling us a product. so might as well chime in with what you want from that product. the fellow that made the op, wants his legendaries. stop producing excuses for the company (unless they’re paying you to) and let the folks who work for the company speak for themselves. i’m sure they don’t need you to white knight for them. let the pr folk earn their pay…

in the end you’re happy with the game i’m assuming, so why do you feel it’s so important to silence any and all viewpoints that dare assume that anet isn’t made up of angels sent from heaven to give us the gift of guild wars 2? i mean, you can only benefit if the original poster’s request is taken to heart and when the living story plus feature patch they’re selling to us for an expansion actually launches, you’ll have a wider selection of legendaries to choose from…

PorceleinEve.2973

I’d rather have the company continue to be realistic and honest with its goal rather than announce a crapton of content and end up pulling back on half of it because it wasn’t feasible.

i’d rather the company didn’t announce anything before it is ready for actual testing by actual beta testers, way ahead of any announcement. that way they won’t have to make projections they’re unsure to keep. like now. that way you wouldn’t have to white knight for it. that would be realistic and honest.

they’ve already announced content that is being pulled back. that’s what the post about the legendaries is about. cleverly hidden behind a nice mechanics post of course, but the juice of it is that not all legendaries are created equal. i would love it if the new legendaries to come out would be the undewater weapons. I’m sure that would go down fine with the community and that nobody would feel like they pulled a fast one. maybe then you could see through the sheen of your amour

Posted by: Samhaim.8956

Samhaim.8956

I’m right and everyone that disagrees with me is a white knight mimimimimi is the best troll argument to be used these days. /s
The fact of it is:
Legendaries are not just skins, each and everyone of them has their own set of animations, aura, effects on mobs, etc etc etc… group that with new evolving precursors and the lore behind the scavenge hunt for every single legendary, it is quite a bit of work. Trying to deny that is quite stupid, not as stupid as comparing it to what WoW does or does not add, since WoW has a bigger team and a lot more resources to pull from.
Anyhow, if i had to guess i’d say we’ll be seeing one legendary for each of the specializations, so: Hammer, Staff, Greatsword, Sword, Shield, Longbow(?), Rifle(?) and whatever warriors and revs get.
Tho if they manage to get all of the legendaries done by HoT launch it would be pretty nice.

Samhaiim ~ Thief

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

Don’t bother, they could deliver turds as the new legendary’s and these people would just polish them up and tell everyone how wonderful Anet is for selling 1-4 turds as part of the expansion.

Anet is clearly not capable of producing these legendary weapons, and it is extremely unlikely we will see a full set for at least 2-3 years. Remember this is the same set of legendary’s that Anet said would be in the game by 2013… this expansion will launch in 2016 and it STILL isn’t going to be a full set. 3 years and they can’t develop 15 weapons, don’t hold your breath.

PorceleinEve.2973

I’m right and everyone that disagrees with me is a white knight mimimimimi is the best troll argument to be used these days. /s
The fact of it is:
Legendaries are not just skins, each and everyone of them has their own set of animations, aura, effects on mobs, etc etc etc… group that with new evolving precursors and the lore behind the scavenge hunt for every single legendary, it is quite a bit of work. Trying to deny that is quite stupid, not as stupid as comparing it to what WoW does or does not add, since WoW has a bigger team and a lot more resources to pull from.
Anyhow, if i had to guess i’d say we’ll be seeing one legendary for each of the specializations, so: Hammer, Staff, Greatsword, Sword, Shield, Longbow(?), Rifle(?) and whatever warriors and revs get.
Tho if they manage to get all of the legendaries done by HoT launch it would be pretty nice.

lol… no.

Let’s see. According to YOUR logic here, specializations aren’t just a few new animations and bam, ready to go. They have to have their own skills, have those skills work, be relatively balanced in a way that the game won’t break and of course they need to have their own mini quests and lore associated with ‘em. That’s quite a bit of work. A fair bit more than, oh let’s say, legendary crafting. Trying to deny that is quite stupid yes? So by that same logic, it’s ok if we don’t get all the specializations with the expansion. They can give us some specializations now and the rest can come later. We wouldn’t want them to overextend after all. Colin said we’ll be getting specializations, and just like the legendaries he didn’t say when exactly we’ll be getting them. Ammirite? right? Druid and necro should come first since they seem to be the most complete or something and obviously revenants should come last (go learn that base profession first). And why stop at legendaries and specs. Hey let’s include the mastery system too. They can implement some now, and others later. I mean it is a lot of work to do that stuff. How about maps. We’re not getting many anyways so let’s start with just one. The rest can come for free later when they’re ready. I mean maps sure take a lot of work and testing and time. I’ts a great argument you got there. That way they can charge us now 40 euros, and the expansion can launch “almost” feature complete right before easter. Everybody wins. Right?

And that point about wow. Here let me explain something. I don’t care if wow has more resources than anet. I don’t. It’s not my job to care. I’m a consumer. I rate a product. When you go to buy a car, do you think to yourself “here let me buy this one which isn’t what i want but it’s ok, it’s a small company with low resources and that’s the best they can do.”. When you go out to buy anything in fact do you concern yourself at all with the resources of the company that produced that product? Did anyone forced anet to go the buy to play road? Was that not their own choice? Their choice, their problem. Not mine. My -only- concern as a consumer is the end product. I don’t own stock in ncsoft or anet to care about their resources. It’s their job to worry about their bottom line, not mine. That is not an argument. That is just an excuse to justify to yourself why this expansion feels so very much like an expanded living story and feature patch. As I said it’s for my money that they have to worry about, not yours. You would have handed them your money anyways since they can do no evil in your eyes.

And I would still very much like an answer to the question, what if the first set of the new legendaries to come out were the underwater ones. Would everybody be rushing to defend this poor poor company with the low resources that’s trying to do the best it can in a harsh and evil world? And what about the folks who would like to make a new legendary from the ones that won’t be in. Will they be compensated in any way for clearly being the second class players of the game? If they want folks to take ‘em seriously and not criticize them for their inability to keep their own word, they should come out with a specific timetable stating when each new legendary will be added. I mean how can you make an informed decision if you don’t have the information. That alone should tell you much about the company. Their willingness to keep you in the dark. Pay now, play later, depends on our mood, we’re a company with low resources.

But sure, be my guest, keep lowering the standards they have to be held accountable against. Who the hell wants feature complete expansions these days?

Posted by: Lunar Sunset.8742

Lunar Sunset.8742

I honestly don’t fear the expansion’s general quality as much. And the reason I’m more grumped than the Grinch around christmas is simply the fact that “New legendaries” was this big announcement that came hand in hand with Heart of Thorns’ first live reveal, paired with this big, cheeky grin from Colin. Imagine he had announced “Some new legendaries, and the rest come later.” With his “c:” like smirk.

I’ll just echo this statement. +1 to you sir.

Sunset
50/50 GWAMM x3
I quit how I want

Posted by: latinkuro.7304

latinkuro.7304

I see this as a hmm let’s see how fast people get these new legendaries, proceed to make it more and more difficult as new ones are released !!!

LOVE: Raids & Fractals.
HATE: Jumping puzzles.
DESPISE: TIME GATES, RNG & THE TRINITY !

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

Anet is clearly not capable of producing these legendary weapons, and it is extremely unlikely we will see a full set for at least 2-3 years. Remember this is the same set of legendary’s that Anet said would be in the game by 2013… this expansion will launch in 2016 and it STILL isn’t going to be a full set. 3 years and they can’t develop 15 weapons, don’t hold your breath.

Or maybe the art team is busy with assets for other parts of the game, and legendaries aren’t anywhere near the top of the priority list because players need to get the precursor and mats first?

As for the whole 3 years and they can’t develop 15 weapons thing, they’ve made a number of weapon sets over the past three years.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

PorceleinEve.2973

Or maybe the art team is busy with assets for other parts of the game, and legendaries aren’t anywhere near the top of the priority list because players need to get the precursor and mats first?

As for the whole 3 years and they can’t develop 15 weapons thing, they’ve made a number of weapon sets over the past three years.

so which is it cause i’m confused? is the art team swamped with work and they can’t really produce the art for the legendaries or it’s a piece of cake thing to do since they’ve been producing a number of weapon sets these past 3 years?

TheDaiBish.9735

so which is it cause i’m confused? is the art team swamped with work and they can’t really produce the art for the legendaries or it’s a piece of cake thing to do since they’ve been producing a number of weapon sets these past 3 years?

Where did I say it was a piece of cake?

Thing is, priorities change and team members get shifted around.

Why would they have the art team working on something that can wait until after launch (since, you know, players have to get the precursor and mats first) when they’d be better put to use creating other assets (other weapon and armour sets, mobs, world assets etc) that players are going to – most likely – experience first?

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

PorceleinEve.2973

Why would they have the art team working on something that can wait until after launch (since, you know, players have to get the precursor and mats first) when they’d be better put to use creating other assets (other weapon and armour sets, mobs, world assets etc) that players are going to – most likely – experience first?

that is a non argument, pretty much all of the features of the expansion can be postponed until after launch. masteries? give some now, rest can come later. maps? start with one and add others later. specializations? start with some and the rest later.

fact is they announce the feature, it should be in properly or not at all. fact is, if they’ve done that for any of the other features, like specializations, the forums would be on fire. if they can’t manage properly their resources, not our problem. if they’re having issues with their timetable, not our problem either. if it’s announced, it should be done properly. not holding them accountable to that, just gives them permission to sell even less feature complete “expansions” in the future.

Posted by: Will Lucky.8703

Will Lucky.8703

I’ve got a question about the Pact Campaign Legendaries. I know the future Legendaries will all be account bound.

But the old ones created from crafted precursors, will they be account bound or not? Will those be sellable on the TP after they’ve been crafted or will this still only work for legendaries created from dropped Precursors?

Server: Far Shiverpeaks

PorceleinEve.2973

I’ve got a question about the Pact Campaign Legendaries. I know the future Legendaries will all be account bound.

But the old ones created from crafted precursors, will they be account bound or not? Will those be sellable on the TP after they’ve been crafted or will this still only work for legendaries created from dropped Precursors?

as i understand it, new legend, all account bound. old legend the final precursor would be sellable in the auction house.

Will Lucky.8703

as i understand it, new legend, all account bound. old legend the final precursor would be sellable in the auction house.

Wait Wait Wait, all Precursors crafted will be able to be put on the TP?

PorceleinEve.2973

Wait Wait Wait, all Precursors crafted will be able to be put on the TP?

no, only precursors that belong to the old set of legendaries will, the new ones are completely account bound from start to finish.

Will Lucky.8703

But surely that can’t be right? That would devalue the old precursors entirely.

TheDaiBish.9735

that is a non argument, pretty much all of the features of the expansion can be postponed until after launch. masteries? give some now, rest can come later. maps? start with one and add others later. specializations? start with some and the rest later.

fact is they announce the feature, it should be in properly or not at all. fact is, if they’ve done that for any of the other features, like specializations, the forums would be on fire. if they can’t manage properly their resources, not our problem. if they’re having issues with their timetable, not our problem either. if it’s announced, it should be done properly. not holding them accountable to that, just gives them permission to sell even less feature complete “expansions” in the future.

It depends entirely at what point the player can access the certain types of content, really.

If a player was able to obtain Legendary weapons from day one – like Masteries – then yes, it should be included. If they don’t patch in the Legendaries until a long time after the launch then yes, they should be criticised for it.

However, if getting a precursor alone takes, say, a two weeks (especially given how the newer precursors will be from T3 of the Mastery Track) and gathering the mats for the Legendary takes another week, and the new Legendaries are patched in two weeks after launch, what harm has been done?

No one was able to get the Legendary at that point anyway and them asset creators were free to help create the rest of the expansion – asset creators (as well as that would otherwise be tied up developing a feature that didn’t need to be in the expansion at day one, and extending the development time of the expansion unnecessarily.

Another point that should be made is that they said that other Legendaries would be made available in subsequent patches. We don’t know how long after launch that patch will be added.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

(edited by TheDaiBish.9735)

PorceleinEve.2973

But surely that can’t be right? That would devalue the old precursors entirely.

how is that? they’re already obtainable via gold from the ah. In fact now, you can actually get the final product for gold.

but yes, many folks suspect that prices for old precursors will go down, if the hassle of the mastery quest to obtain it is worth less than the current worth of the precursor. if you have to do a quest with 140 steps though, it might not. you can never tell with these things. plus, let’s be honest, the new hotness will be the new legendaries that will become the new status symbols of the devoted.