ANET - Forced adventures!!??

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: SirBlunticus.4258

SirBlunticus.4258

This is not what i signed up for….lol.
Makes me feel as if I’m at an amusement park throwing pennies in a pool. Terrible, I’m not 5. They are not entertaining! The ONLY reason people would WASTE time to do these is for the simple fact you are FORCING them with mastery points. Otherwise NOBODY would do them. GET IT THEY ARE TERRIBLE!
Either take em out fully and put real mmo content, or tear the mastery points out of the clutches of this garbage. Not creating fans by forcing them to play something they dont want. (Obviously we want the mastery points)
-Give another option to attain said points.
-If these are what stops me from getting mastery points, they way you changed this game is becoming obvious. I won’t be buying another expansion or game.
I always had FUN on this game…DECIDING to do as i please.
-Decisions are now being made for you…. with mastery points (forced content) and these terrible adventures.

SirBlunticus.4258

Not to mention collections being hidden behind them.
Seriously!?
Anet says “can’t have your weapon unless you play pin the tail on the donkey. Can’t have your mastery point unless you make a ring around the bottle.”

Posted by: Dashingsteel.3410

Dashingsteel.3410

I don’t know why filling the mastery bar with experience isn’t enough to get the mastery. Why even have mastery points? Seems to be a way to force you into certain content.

Posted by: zombyturtle.5980

zombyturtle.5980

I like adventures alot and dont think they are terrible. Id love the chance to play them even more by making them more accessible. I would do them even without mastery points attached.

I mentioned this in another thread though, if there is no way to unlock all masteries without doing the adventures its a mistake that should be changed. But if there are enough spread out over other content that adventures can be ignored then this is a fuss over nothing.

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

Seriously!?
Anet says “can’t have your weapon unless you play pin the tail on the donkey. Can’t have your mastery point unless you make a ring around the bottle.”

Do you need to get gold for these weapon collections?

Posted by: Mega Skeleton.8259

Mega Skeleton.8259

No, silver.

Nobody is making you do adventures, man. There are plenty of sources for XP and you don’t need to finish any specialization collections. IDK what to tell you.

[EG] is recruiting!

SirBlunticus.4258

I’m not sure about all of them, but I know for certain Dark Harvest for the reaper for example. You MUST finish silver in Fallen Masks adventure, So i tried it last night.
Mind you…
-You have to wait for the meta to complete. (so, there is no guarantee you’ll even get in the room. Plus you have 15 mins to “try” it and get kicked out.)
- Why is a piece for collection gated behind this? No choice in the matter!
-ALL THIS JUMPING PUZZLE GARBAGE NEED TO STOP.
-I’m not going to spend my time “learning” this when I could be having fun…deciding what I want to do with my time while logged in.
-GET RID OF ADVENTURES OR MAKE THEM OPTIONAL (NOT for masteries, NOT for collections….for fun IF YOU WANT TO DO IT.

Posted by: JediYoda.1275

JediYoda.1275

Seriously!?

No, have to get silver to unlock collection items

I agree with OP

So much on “We don’t want to force players too play content they don’t want to play”

Here we are I’m being forced to play adventures to get the last 23 MP’s I need to max out the Nuhoch Lore and Itzel Lore since I have too have with items are locked from me unless I have all masteries maxed out. Plus for collection items are gated behind this silliness for forcing players to play thing they don’t’t to be forced into playing. I don’t really cared much for mini games nor do I ever play them at Carnivals or else where in real life.

“If only ANet had some kind of forum they could use to communicate with us……”
“ANet. They never miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity to not mess up.”
Mod “Posts created to cause unrest with unfounded claims are not allowed” lmao

Celtic Lady.3729

Seriously!?

Silver, wow. Okay. Too bad it isn’t bronze.

Posted by: HtFde.3856

HtFde.3856

No, silver.

Nobody is making you do adventures, man. There are plenty of sources for XP and you don’t need to finish any specialization collections. IDK what to tell you.

Pray, tell me how you will complete your masteries without the points from the adventures … last time I counted I fell awfully short on mastery points and have since started to do those. My rough assumption is that getting silver on all should see me through.

PMI – Dzagonur Rallybot :)

HtFde.3856

I mentioned this in another thread though, if there is no way to unlock all masteries without doing the adventures its a mistake that should be changed. But if there are enough spread out over other content that adventures can be ignored then this is a fuss over nothing.

Unless I missed something there is no other way … and bronze won’t do … I calculated I’d have to get silver on most if not all to get the normal (non raid) masteries done.

Posted by: Bee.7081

Bee.7081

Yea, I also believe that if you want to max out the masteries, you need all the mastery points from adventures aswel. I have all strongbox and regular mastery points, and it is nowhere near to being enough for maxing out the HoT mastery lines.
I’m kind of alright getting silver, but gold from all… some really looks impossible atm.

Celtic Lady.3729

Someone had noted in a different thread, I believe, that there are 19 extra mastery points, so it would be possible to skip some of the adventures if you wanted to.

Posted by: MashMash.1645

MashMash.1645

Seriously!?

I agree with OP

So much on “We don’t want to force players too play content they don’t want to play”

Here we are I’m being forced to play adventures to get the last 23 MP’s I need to max out the Nuhoch Lore and Itzel Lore since I have too have with items are locked from me unless I have all masteries maxed out. Plus for collection items are gated behind this silliness for forcing players to play thing they don’t’t to be forced into playing. I don’t really cared much for mini games nor do I ever play them at Carnivals or else where in real life.

Is it that bad? I need 10 more mastery points to complete everything. I got all the easy gold and silver mastery point adventures – some are ridiculously easy. I still haven’t done the hard ones, and I was looking through my hero panel at what I can still get, and I can get every point i need from TD, DS and the story. It seems you can pretty much avoid all the hard adventures. From what I can see anyway.

Pre-Ordered HoT | Recently started to get what I paid for – may spend $$$

Posted by: Boysenberry.1869

Boysenberry.1869

I’m not sure about all of them, but I know for certain Dark Harvest for the reaper for example. You MUST finish silver in Fallen Masks adventure, So i tried it last night.
Mind you…
-You have to wait for the meta to complete. (so, there is no guarantee you’ll even get in the room. Plus you have 15 mins to “try” it and get kicked out.)
-I’m not going to spend my time “learning” this when I could be having fun…deciding what I want to do with my time while logged in.
-GET RID OF ADVENTURES OR MAKE THEM OPTIONAL (NOT for masteries, NOT for collections….for fun IF YOU WANT TO DO IT.

Fallen Masks is only closed during the Octovine event (and the prep event). It is open far more than closed and does not require meta completion at all. It isn’t really any kind of puzzle either as you just hop on the mushroom closest to the destination you want to reach. The big problem with Fallen Masks is that it is random. You can be lucky and have a bunch of masks appear right next to you and get a high score or the game can decide to hate you and set all of the masks so far apart that it is virtually impossible to get a decent score.

I’m pretty terrible at these things and I managed Silver after about 4-5 attempts. Even if it isn’t fun, you have to approach these kinds of things with the right attitude. If you want Dark Harvest for example, you need to just do it. Focus on the task, get it done, and then you’ll never have to worry about it again.

Posted by: glenndevis.8327

glenndevis.8327

I’m actually liking the adventures.
I didn’t really do them until i needed one for a certain collection, just to realize that they’re actually quite fun.

That being said, if you’re forced to get gold on all of them to max your masteries that’ a bit too much.

I think silver for all sounds about right.

HtFde.3856

Seriously!?

I agree with OP

Is it that bad? I need 10 more mastery points to complete everything. I got all the easy gold and silver mastery point adventures – some are ridiculously easy. I still haven’t done the hard ones, and I was looking through my hero panel at what I can still get, and I can get every point i need from TD, DS and the story. It seems you can pretty much avoid all the hard adventures. From what I can see anyway.

coughs —- now imagine someone who can play like 2h a day and has a more or less set schedule when he can log on. Imagine further that this puts you into night mode in VB – no advendures …

After night you have all the joy in the world of running the metas to the point where you can finally do the adventure you do not even like. And you usually have like 10 – 15 minutes before night falls again because I usually end up on empty maps and have to run the metas myself or with maybe one or two random join-ins. Imagine the fun with the two champions just to get the glider thing unlocked …

Posted by: Swift.1930

Swift.1930

Funniest thing is that mini-games are now called adventures. Used to be a time when we simply called them annoyances…

Been there, punned that.

Ehmry Bay Guardian

Posted by: misterman.1530

misterman.1530

Seriously!?

The roleplayers must be having fits with these things.

Here they are, in the midst of a grand adventure to explore a new region of the world and save some of their compatriots from Mordremoth. They delve deeper into the jungle, threats behind every vine and then…wait….is that a shooting gallery? Someone set up a shooting gallery in the middle of a war zone? How does that make any sense…I just don’t…wow

Posted by: Bandit.8279

Bandit.8279

Adventures are a lot of fun! Not to mention a great source of xp and enjoyment among friends. Love competing with my guildies and talking smack. Plus, these are a good source of solo content for those that like to do things on their own or just want a mini game away from the hectic battles in HoT. Now some are more fun than others but that is a matter of personal taste.

Luckily there are many other means to gain mastery points and once things like gliding are maxed out a couple of these adventures become much easier to get gold on.

Fools N Gold [FNG] of Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Takoyakii.2146

Takoyakii.2146

In anet sense. You don’t need to complete spec weapon collection to play anything. Is there a place that if you don’t have Bo . You instantly killed? No right? So you pretty much force yourself to play it!

totally optinal ~~.

Well ,in exception of golem punch and shooting gallery adventure. You can get silver from mastery fairly easy when you have enough mastery skill and you learn how
it ’s play.

If you want it, just learn it…it take less than hour//or 30 min // to get it honestly.

HtFde.3856

Seriously!?

Here they are, in the midst of a grand adventure to explore a new region of the world and save some of their compatriots from Mordremoth. They delve deeper into the jungle, threats behind every vine and then…wait….is that a shooting gallery? Someone set up a shooting gallery in the middle of a war zone? How does that make any sense…I just don’t…wow

The shooting gallery isn’t actualyl breaking the lore too much – people must learn to shoot somewhere, don’t they?

But transforming into a mushroom and doing a race by bouncing on your cap?

Posted by: Baamoink.4281

Baamoink.4281

I haven’t done all of the adventures yet, but I’ve enjoyed the ones I’ve completed in Verdent Brink so far. Don’t even care about the mastery points, as long as you have level 1-2 in most of the masteries, you can finish the game.

Guild: Mantle Assasins [MA] – Guild Leader
Server: Far Shiverpeaks EU

Posted by: SirDrygan.1823

SirDrygan.1823

Mind you…

ARENANET threw those on the list out 2 years ago, where have you been? Just #dealwithit.

HtFde.3856

Mind you…

ARENANET threw those on the list out 2 years ago, where have you been? Just #dealwithit.

Do you happen to have a link where ANet said (whenever, actually) that you HAVE TO DO Adventures to complete your masteries and personal collections? I can remember that they mentioned adventures but from my memory it did sound more like an optional thing and the way they were referenced did in no ways hint that they were actually platform style mini-games …

Posted by: Mystle.4538

Mystle.4538

I do them for the fun.

Posted by: Doam.8305

Doam.8305

Seriously!?

The shooting gallery isn’t actualyl breaking the lore too much – people must learn to shoot somewhere, don’t they?

But transforming into a mushroom and doing a race by bouncing on your cap?

Lets use these spare parts to set up a race/obstacle track and race mini tanks to get the best time guys Mordremoth can wait this is important!!

Posted by: Raziel.4216

Raziel.4216

We have a 20 mastery point surplus (or more?), you don’t need gold on any adventure to max your masteries, heck you barely need silver in some.
Doesn’t meet the criteria to be “forced” upon you.

If Legend of Zelda came out tomorrow, the usual
forum dwellers would go nuts about the need to
“grind” to get exp, new swords, new potions etc

Posted by: Osu.6307

Osu.6307

For anyone struggling with an adventure, check youtube. There are multiple clips of people getting gold for every adventure. Imo, none of the adventures are that difficult, but you do need to do them a couple times to understand the mechanics. Also, since you have to do the adventures to complete a collection, why not get good at them and do them daily for the gold reward. Gold is a guaranteed rare item. Since those reclaimed metal plates are also necessary for the collection, adventures are a great place to farm them and get a nice chunk of XP.

Osu

Posted by: xarallei.4279

xarallei.4279

I agree with this. Now some people like adventures and that’s cool. You want to go for gold, great. But mastery points should NOT be locked behind adventures. There needs to be more ways of obtaining mastery points. I hate adventures with a passion. They bore me to tears. The only reason I forced myself to do some of them is for collections. But I’ve had enough of them at this point. However, now I don’t know if I’ll be able to obtain enough mastery points to max things out without resorting to adventures. Please Anet stop forcing adventures down our throats.

Posted by: Notsoperky.2348

Notsoperky.2348

We have a 20 mastery point surplus (or more?), you don’t need gold on any adventure to max your masteries, heck you barely need silver in some.
Doesn’t meet the criteria to be “forced” upon you.

Someone worked out if you can’t get gold in any, you need 13 silver to complete masteries.

That might not seem liked ‘forced’ to you, but 13 of those piles of gouda (remember, a lot are gated behind meta completion events) certainly seems like ‘forcing’ to me.

If there were other ways of getting the mastery points (hey, how about ‘fill in the exp bar, get the mastery?) then it wouldn’t be forced. As it stands, there is no other option, hence they are forced.

‘Barely’ silver is still silver, and for many that’s too much. Huge timed JP is one of them, and after struggling for over an hour to finally just scrape bronze I realised that I’m never getting silver on that one. It’s not a ‘mastery’ test, it’s a ping/reaction/graphics card test involving hand/eye co ordination. When I was 20 my reactions and hand/eye co ordination were literally second to none. I didn’t like platform games then. I’m considerably older now and like them even less, and they just remind me of what i have lost over the years.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

I hate being forced to do the story to get MP.
I hated being forced to do JP’s to get MP.
I hate being forced to kill specific champions to get MP.
I hate being forced to do entire event chains to get MP.
I hate being forced to kill things to get MP.
I hate being forced to do PvE to get MP.
I hate being forced to do scavenger hunts to get MP.
I hate being forced to do adventures to get MP.

Etc etc etc etc

Not everything in the game will be something that you enjoy.

Dashingsteel.3410

I just hate mastery points. Why isn’t filling the mastery bar with experience not enough to get your mastery?

HtFde.3856

For anyone struggling with an adventure, check youtube. There are multiple clips of people getting gold for every adventure. Imo, none of the adventures are that difficult, but you do need to do them a couple times to understand the mechanics. Also, since you have to do the adventures to complete a collection, why not get good at them and do them daily for the gold reward. Gold is a guaranteed rare item. Since those reclaimed metal plates are also necessary for the collection, adventures are a great place to farm them and get a nice chunk of XP.

You don’t get it

Many people HATE them.

Many people are bad at these things, no matter what some people manage to pull off on youtube.

Many people feel completely stressed out when they try to do them!

And that is not even going into timers and what a somewhat high latency does to you when you play those like boosters not firing, glider not deploying, boosters firing after 2 second delay when you’re already below the course …

I am sure there is something you absolutely loath to eat. How about eating more of that … maybe you will like it sooner or later? And it’s the same with these … kitten … adventures.

Posted by: xarallei.4279

xarallei.4279

I just hate mastery points. Why isn’t filling the mastery bar with experience not enough to get your mastery?

Exactly. The whole idea behind mastery points is ridiculous. We are already stuck grinding for xp for mastery, why do we need these points as well? Just seems like another way to add more grind. I actually don’t mind the regular mastery xp grind. It’s the mastery points that I hate because it forces me to do something I really despise.

HtFde.3856

Etc etc etc etc

Don’t try becoming an author on a professional basis … it’d be a desaster.

How old are you? Let’s talk about split time reaction when you’re 45+ and have had a rather stressful work-day. At 20:00 I’m not at my best and even at my best I’d lose hands down against a 16 year old – age does that to people.

Ayrilana.1396

Etc etc etc etc

How old are you? Let’s talk about split time reaction when you’re 45+ and have had a rather stressful work-day. At 20:00 I’m not at my best and even at my best I’d lose hands down against a 16 year old – age does that to people.

Don’t become an editor either.

None of the adventures really require that precise reaction time to get silver.

HtFde.3856

Because it would allow you do play the game however you liked because you would be hard pressed to do anything (except for waiting for the idle kick) that would not give you XP and would thus create mastery points.

While this was good enough for GW1 and early GW2 the ANet crew has changed some. Seems they hired a bunch of WoW developers and platform game developers – and those new guys come with an attitude: Hey, no more ignoring all that wonderful content we are ramming down your throat handing you – we’ll just make them so that you HAVE to do them and goodbye to the normal, boring, old-school way of advancing via experience … silly concept, really.

Posted by: Kuzzi.2198

Kuzzi.2198

Is this thread serious? Please stop crying and play the game.

There are MANY more Mastery Points available than what is needed to max out all Masteries.

HtFde.3856

Etc etc etc etc

Don’t become an editor either.

None of the adventures really require that precise reaction time to get silver.

Some do … took me like 30 attemps at Masks of the Fallen (or whatever it is called) and I’m still way off on the bouncing mushroom thing in AB. I guess the main problem is whether you play shooters or not. When you’re a shooter person you might be used to move via W key. I’m not … I move via mouse buttons. So I have to stop moving to aim where I want to jump and that takes A LOT of time compared to moving AND aiming.

(edited by HtFde.3856)

HtFde.3856

There are MANY more Mastery Points available than what is needed to max out all Masteries.

Count them – count what you need – subtract the numbers, post again.

Posted by: Bekkr.6192

Bekkr.6192

While the tone of this thread isn’t how I’d put it forward, I heartily agree with the sentiment.

These things are not fun.

The problem with the youth of today is that one is no longer part of it.
-Salvador Dali

Posted by: Raziel.4216

Raziel.4216

Count them – count what you need – subtract the numbers, post again.

Need silver in what, 8 adventures if you get the rest of the MPs?
No wai!

If Legend of Zelda came out tomorrow, the usual
forum dwellers would go nuts about the need to
“grind” to get exp, new swords, new potions etc

Posted by: Tiburon.8634

Tiburon.8634

For anyone struggling with an adventure, check youtube.

This is ridiculous. I mean, yes, Arenanet has basically admitted that adventures are a scam to get views on youbtube when they said they’re designed so that people can say “look at this new strategy/path to do this adventure” but it is terrible game design.

If you’re going to have an adventure, you should be able to see where you went wrong in the game and see where you need to go in the game not in some external youtube video. If, for example, you could walk around the wreckage of the ship and see where the bombs and tendrils are before you start this piece of garbage adventure and plan ahead before you start, it wouldn’t be so bad. But you can’t. You get two minutes to run around and locate them, which is stupid.

HtFde.3856

If you’re going to have an adventure, you should be able to see where you went wrong in the game and see where you need to go in the game not in some external youtube video. If, for example, you could walk around the wreckage of the ship and see where the bombs and tendrils are before you start this piece of garbage adventure and plan ahead before you start, it wouldn’t be so bad. But you can’t. You get two minutes to run around and locate them, which is stupid.

Tendril Torchers? It’s not the one I loathe the most …

By the way – you can start as often as you want and map them out and think out a strategy. Then go for it in a serious way … Lag is my biggest problem on that one. Oh – and make sure you explode the mines from range so you don’t get knocked around … never managed gold but silver isn’t too difficult on that one. I just wish the tendrils would show up by pressing ALT or CTRL …

Posted by: elkirin.8534

elkirin.8534

Firstly, there are a number of the adventures I enjoy. It is personal choice.

IMHO, the adventures should be played by those who enjoy them and NOTHING should be locked behind them.

I strongly support the idea “mastery bar fills, mastery is completed”.

I would award chests with a RNG chance of good items to the MP locations/tasks instead.

Dubain – Sea of Whoever we are Linked to now

Posted by: Mega Skeleton.8259

Mega Skeleton.8259

If Anet is going to continue to add mastery tracks as they seem to be doing, I’m sure they will add new mastery points (Along with new zones) to obtain. I think in a perfect world for them, it would be very difficult for players to max all masteries, and not something they “expect” players to have. Throughout the expansion there are very few that are actually required to complete content (unless it’s like, the mastery points locked behind more masteries).

Jumping mushrooms and updraft, maybe poison lore. But notice a lot of the high level ones are just like bonus events and vendors to give you some extra daily tasks. Not required by any extent. I don’t like this thread’s argument because there are other things that people like and dislike, and saying that adventures for some reason are undeserving of having mastery points/collections locked behind them seems like an arbitrary barometer of what is and is not acceptable to gate a mastery point behind. Yes, it takes good execution especially for gold on a lot of them, but I don’t know what your expectation is to unlock everything in this game if you don’t possess the knowledge, skill or time to complete everything.

[EG] is recruiting!

Dashingsteel.3410

When gw2 first launched, it had a system with skill points and book trainers. Your character gained experience by killing creatures, doing hearts, events, crafting, gathering, exploring, and doing your story. Didn’t matter which one of those things you did you got experience and it counted towards progressing your character. Those were the days of play as you want.
Then the new player experience raised its ugly head. This is where the game started to try to direct your character into certain content. The hero point system furthered this effort to prod your character into certain content. Mastery points just add another way for anet to dictate the content you play.
I was a big fan of the original system. It allowed player freedom. Players could do things they ENJOY and still progress. Thought that was the point of games anyway.
Take away the mastery points and allow mastery bars to be filled with experience only to progress. That would give players freedom to play as they want.

Ayrilana.1396

For anyone struggling with an adventure, check youtube.

This is ridiculous. I mean, yes, Arenanet has basically admitted that adventures are a scam to get views on youbtube when they said they’re designed so that people can say “look at this new strategy/path to do this adventure” but it is terrible game design.

You can do it without YouTube which many of us who did them that first week didn’t have access to. The videos just cut down on the learning aspect so all that’s left is to duplicate what was done in the videos. Players are still more than welcome to not use them.

Posted by: Soon.5240

Soon.5240

I was a big fan of the original system. It allowed player freedom. Players could do things they ENJOY and still progress. Thought that was the point of games anyway.
Take away the mastery points and allow mastery bars to be filled with experience only to progress. That would give players freedom to play as they want.

+1

Unfortunately, if they disable the Mastery gating system, it becomes readily apparent that Anet only really created about 24 to 32 hours of new content….