ANET - Forced adventures!!??

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Tiburon.8634

Tiburon.8634

You can do it without YouTube which many of us who did them that first week didn’t have access to. The videos just cut down on the learning aspect so all that’s left is to duplicate what was done in the videos. Players are still more than welcome to not use them.

Oh I’m well aware. But if the response is “go to youtube” that negates the reason for having adventures in the first place. Something about combining logic puzzles and a race makes these incredibly annoying. With the Mad King’s Clocktower (which many people hate and consequently don’t do) you can at least easily see where you went wrong. This is obtuse.

Edit: It also doesn’t help that the game engine is poorly equipped to handle the adventures. I steadfastly defended jumping puzzles from the people that complained about the camera or Charritis or Chronic Nornism making them difficult because you could take your time. You can’t do that here. Plus while the action camera alleviates some of these concerns, when you’re burning the tendrils it seems like half your flame blasts go into the ground or go over the tendrils.

(edited by Tiburon.8634)

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

You can do it without YouTube which many of us who did them that first week didn’t have access to. The videos just cut down on the learning aspect so all that’s left is to duplicate what was done in the videos. Players are still more than welcome to not use them.

Oh I’m well aware. But if the response is “go to youtube” that negates the reason for having adventures in the first place. Something about combining logic puzzles and a race makes these incredibly annoying. With the Mad King’s Clocktower (which many people hate and consequently don’t do) you can at least easily see where you went wrong. This is obtuse.

It doesn’t negate them. It just gives players a way to complete adventures quicker if they don’t want to take the time to figure out how to do them themselves. They still need to do the work to beat them though.

Posted by: Tiburon.8634

Tiburon.8634

If part of the design goal of the adventures is trial and error then youtubing the solution is a problem

Ayrilana.1396

If part of the design goal of the adventures is trial and error then youtubing the solution is a problem

Haha. Yep. It’s like those collection achievements in DT and SW which people just ended up using Dulfy’s guide for. It wasn’t intended for players to use outside assistance but then there’s no way to control that.

Posted by: HtFde.3856

HtFde.3856

I was a big fan of the original system. It allowed player freedom. Players could do things they ENJOY and still progress. Thought that was the point of games anyway.
Take away the mastery points and allow mastery bars to be filled with experience only to progress. That would give players freedom to play as they want.

+1

Unfortunately, if they disable the Mastery gating system, it becomes readily apparent that Anet only really created about 24 to 32 hours of new content….

Aw, really … what did you do in GW1? Probably farmed UW and FoW or DoA to get the items for the skins. Taken a look at the provisioner skins? That’ll take a while.

Nevermind that we now have a rng free (mor or less) way to obtain legendaries via crafting precursors. Think that can be completed in a few hours?

So core content is less than a GW 1 “expansion” but it’ll keep you going for a while if you really want those skins. And – let’s face it – unless you went for Kurzick/Luxon title and suchlike in GW 1 you were done with the base game rather fast as well (except, maybe, Prophecies).

PMI – Dzagonur Rallybot :)

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

This is not what i signed up for….lol.
Makes me feel as if I’m at an amusement park throwing pennies in a pool. Terrible, I’m not 5. They are not entertaining! The ONLY reason people would WASTE time to do these is for the simple fact you are FORCING them with mastery points. Otherwise NOBODY would do them. GET IT THEY ARE TERRIBLE!
Either take em out fully and put real mmo content, or tear the mastery points out of the clutches of this garbage. Not creating fans by forcing them to play something they dont want. (Obviously we want the mastery points)
-Give another option to attain said points.
-If these are what stops me from getting mastery points, they way you changed this game is becoming obvious. I won’t be buying another expansion or game.
I always had FUN on this game…DECIDING to do as i please.
-Decisions are now being made for you…. with mastery points (forced content) and these terrible adventures.

I don’t particularly like them either. Their balance is completely out of whack with some ranging from too easy to ever fail gold to some being incredibly hard to even get silver.
I only do a few that are very easy and do them because of the XP. I probably will do them for the mastery points and never touch them again.

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

Posted by: SirBlunticus.4258

SirBlunticus.4258

Yep, and the funny part about it is H.O.T costs more than Tyria.
Tyria you get waaaaaaay more to do.

Posted by: Vavume.8065

Vavume.8065

I don’t know why filling the mastery bar with experience isn’t enough to get the mastery. Why even have mastery points? Seems to be a way to force you into certain content.

Because otherwise you would just be levelling up the same way you level up from 1-80, which would be extremely easy and boring.

Harper.4173

I was a big fan of the original system. It allowed player freedom. Players could do things they ENJOY and still progress. Thought that was the point of games anyway.
Take away the mastery points and allow mastery bars to be filled with experience only to progress. That would give players freedom to play as they want.

+1

Unfortunately, if they disable the Mastery gating system, it becomes readily apparent that Anet only really created about 24 to 32 hours of new content….

Exactly this – the gating of things behind mastery points and experience ( double gate) is only there to conceal a lack of content. The core game didn’t need this kind of gimmick because it had content.
Look at how the story was gated too – so it felt “longer” while in fact you could easily do it in about 4-5 hours.

Harper.4173

Haha. Yep. It’s like those collection achievements in DT and SW which people just ended up using Dulfy’s guide for. It wasn’t intended for players to use outside assistance but then there’s no way to control that.

Because as much as it might be a surprise collecting coins from god knows what places in SW is pretty much nobody’s idea of fun except for a very small number of players.

Same with adventures – there’s one where you’re supposed to race some cars ( drones). Let’s think about it for a second – we are playing a MMORPG where people kill things with swords and generally build up characters and collect loot and other related things.
How many of these players do you think will enjoy a timed car race in their game?

Why would I want to do the Firing Range adventure and have very very poor simulation of an FPS experience when I already play AAA FPS games for that same experience.

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

Maybe you don’t want a sub par FPS experience in an MMO but it’s not about what you want. I’ve never played an MMO that was about ‘what I want’. Anet wanted a collection of activities for unlock; if the requirement for those activities were based on ‘what everyone wants’, there would be no collection that would fulfill it.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

Ayrilana.1396

Because as much as it might be a surprise collecting coins from god knows what places in SW is pretty much nobody’s idea of fun except for a very small number of players.

Same with adventures – there’s one where you’re supposed to race some cars ( drones). Let’s think about it for a second – we are playing a MMORPG where people kill things with swords and generally build up characters and collect loot and other related things.
How many of these players do you think will enjoy a timed car race in their game?

Why would I want to do the Firing Range adventure and have very very poor simulation of an FPS experience when I already play AAA FPS games for that same experience.

That’s actually one of the easiest adventures to get gold in.

SirBlunticus.4258

I did a jumping puzzle here or there. When I was bored and wanted to try something new. I tried a few and figured it’s not my thing.
I’m glad they have a different flavor for everyone though.
Sad to see collections and masterys behind all this mini game garbage that has NOTHING to do with the war going on around you in HOT.
Don’t worry Mordy, I’ll be back after this round of shooting gallery….hahaha laughable.
In tyria it was an option, in hot..there is collections and mastery points behind this garbage. TRY AGAIN ANET!

Posted by: Swift.1930

Swift.1930

These mini-games (you won’t catch me calling them actual adventures) would be functional within a separate and comical environment like the Super Adventure Box. Putting them in the main world… doesn’t feel right. They’re festival-style mini-games with rewards. They can give mastery points for all I care, but they simply don’t belong on the main maps. If finding room to scatter adventures around main maps was something that slowed down the release of HoT, I can only cringe at the development choice.

Been there, punned that.

Ehmry Bay Guardian

Harper.4173

Maybe you don’t want a sub par FPS experience in an MMO but it’s not about what you want. I’ve never played an MMO that was about ‘what I want’. Anet wanted a collection of activities for unlock; if the requirement for those activities were based on ‘what everyone wants’, there would be no collection that would fulfill it.

But you can build something based on what the majority of your player demographic wants.
Why would you assume your player base that’s currently playing an MMO with MMO mechanics would want to stop playing that and enjoy your sub-par FPS or Race simulator experience?
Why not make the adventures use the mechanics that are linked to the game type your players are actually playing?

Swift.1930

But you can build something based on what the majority of your player demographic wants.
Why would you assume your player base that’s currently playing an MMO with MMO mechanics would want to stop playing that and enjoy your sub-par FPS or Race simulator experience?
Why not make the adventures use the mechanics that are linked to the game type your players are actually playing?

Also, curiously (although I was not on the forums), I’d say that Guild Wars 1 devs seemed to know where the game was going and what its players wanted. I don’t recall any kind of update that added completely unrelated or unwanted gameplay to core areas (unless I’ve forgotten about it). Perhaps that was partially a mood thing, though, because GW1 also had a stronger sense of atmosphere.

Been there, punned that.

Ehmry Bay Guardian

Obtena.7952

I don’t know and I won’t venture a guess. What I do know is that Anet has made a broad set of activities that appeal to a wide range of players in an attempt to make some parts of unlocking this interesting to most of the players. What I don’t understand is how some activities out of the many are such a barrier that people would refuse the whole unlocking process outright.

Swift.1930

I don’t know and I won’t venture a guess. What I do know is that Anet has made a broad set of activities that appeal to a wide range of players in an attempt to make some parts of unlocking this interesting to most of the players. What I don’t understand is how some activities out of the many are such a barrier that people would refuse the whole unlocking process outright.

Pretty simple:
1) Because until now, mini-games similar to this have been kept to lore-friendly places (like on Charr training grounds or in Krytan towns that aren’t in the middle of warzones).
2) Because they’ve been casual options rather than being attached to the acquisition of core hero points – mastery points. (One exception to this was the skill point in Bloodtide Coast, where you had to accurately shoot a charged-range cannon and hit three targets.)
3) HoT is a jungle-infestation-style battleground. This means that sometimes the mini-game vendors sometimes go into hiding (locked status), but are happy to open their shooting galleries up as soon as dawn arrives again. In the middle of a jungle that practically seethes with hostile plants and creatures.

Curiously, although it certainly wouldn’t encourage players to play them, the mini-games should require that we pay many of the vendors. Poor guys have businesses to maintain on the battlefront. Can’t be easy to pay for all the damages and pay heroes to run your courses as well.

Been there, punned that.

Ehmry Bay Guardian

Posted by: SirDrygan.1823

SirDrygan.1823

Here’s the thing, people play Guild Wars 2 Year 1 edition because it allows them almost limitless restrictions to where you can go, what you can do and how you do it. (About 90%)
Then comes Guild Wars 2 Year 2 edition, and it turns into almost (78%) a WoW clone. But people still love it.
Then comes Guild Wars 2 Year 3 edition and it could change it’s name into Grind Wars 2 and no one will bat an eye about it.
Of course, there are still people who have that old MMO mentality and white knight mentality that ARENANET could do no wrong. It’s like ARENANET is their god and they worship it without questions.

Now, currently Guild Wars 2 : HoT Year 1 edition can also be called Grind Wars 2 : HoT Year 1 edition.
The Mastery are forced into you when you enter HoT.
There was no forced adventures in Core Tyria maps. You can enter Fields of Ruins as a Level 2 via the portal in Divinity ’s Reach and complete some of the Heart Quest in Ebonhawke like the tearing of the posters and such. But if you step out of Ebonhawke and try to run all the way to the Summit, you may die or you may not, depends on how skillful you can avoid the enemies there and their range.
Or, you could enter Frostgorge as a level 60 and still get all the way until Rojan the Penitent (Double Agent for Jormag), and wait for Claw of Jormag and go whack it.

But in HoT, try going to Patriach Wyvern without Glider updraft……oh wait, you can’t….

Swift.1930

Here’s the thing, people play Guild Wars 2 Year 1 edition because it allows them almost limitless restrictions to where you can go, what you can do and how you do it. (About 90%)
Then comes Guild Wars 2 Year 2 edition, and it turns into almost (78%) a WoW clone. But people still love it.
Then comes Guild Wars 2 Year 3 edition and it could change it’s name into Grind Wars 2 and no one will bat an eye about it.
Of course, there are still people who have that old MMO mentality and white knight mentality that ARENANET could do no wrong. It’s like ARENANET is their god and they worship it without questions.

Now, currently Guild Wars 2 : HoT Year 1 edition can also be called Grind Wars 2 : HoT Year 1 edition.
The Mastery are forced into you when you enter HoT.
There was no forced adventures in Core Tyria maps. You can enter Fields of Ruins as a Level 2 via the portal in Divinity ’s Reach and complete some of the Heart Quest in Ebonhawke like the tearing of the posters and such. But if you step out of Ebonhawke and try to run all the way to the Summit, you may die or you may not, depends on how skillful you can avoid the enemies there and their range.
Or, you could enter Frostgorge as a level 60 and still get all the way until Rojan the Penitent (Double Agent for Jormag), and wait for Claw of Jormag and go whack it.

But in HoT, try going to Patriach Wyvern without Glider updraft……oh wait, you can’t….

Funniest thing about white knights… even employees and devs wouldn’t uphold their game as staunchly as the white knights do. They might put on a public stone face (and talk fondly of particular elements they enjoy or are excited about), but in the boardrooms there’s always going to be a lot of discussion/tearing out of hair when it comes to the game as a whole. Sure, they might love working there, but that doesn’t mean they love every design choice for the game.

Been there, punned that.

Ehmry Bay Guardian

Posted by: Ramoth.9064

Ramoth.9064

I’m not sure about all of them, but I know for certain Dark Harvest for the reaper for example. You MUST finish silver in Fallen Masks adventure, So i tried it last night.
Mind you…
-You have to wait for the meta to complete. (so, there is no guarantee you’ll even get in the room. Plus you have 15 mins to “try” it and get kicked out.)
- Why is a piece for collection gated behind this? No choice in the matter!
-ALL THIS JUMPING PUZZLE GARBAGE NEED TO STOP.
-I’m not going to spend my time “learning” this when I could be having fun…deciding what I want to do with my time while logged in.
-GET RID OF ADVENTURES OR MAKE THEM OPTIONAL (NOT for masteries, NOT for collections….for fun IF YOU WANT TO DO IT.

Getting dark harvest is optional too. Seriously, fallen masks is really easy for silver.

Harper.4173

Also, curiously (although I was not on the forums), I’d say that Guild Wars 1 devs seemed to know where the game was going and what its players wanted. I don’t recall any kind of update that added completely unrelated or unwanted gameplay to core areas (unless I’ve forgotten about it). Perhaps that was partially a mood thing, though, because GW1 also had a stronger sense of atmosphere.

I completely agree on both fronts. GW1 never tried to tack on so many things, nor did it try to be something it was not.
Some whacky things existed but they were few and far between and usually associated with festive moments and limited time events.
Also – GW1 had a much stronger sense of atmosphere – a thing that GW2 I feel is strongly missing.

Harper.4173

They’re a barrier because they’re poorly implemented in some places and because they’re trying to force people to do something they don’t want to do.

Players dislike being forced to do things they dislike – but this is worse.

In an MMO with traditional MMO mechanics I can accept being forced to do certain tasks to obtain some reward or unlock something.

It is however greatly annoying when the game forces me to give up on the mechanics I came to the game for and forces me to go through mechanics I dislike or which are poorly implemented. It creates frustration.

I’ll give you a reason why some of the adventures frustrate me.
I’m an avid gamer – I play MMOs, FPS games, RTS games, you name it. Mostly multiplayer in all.
I’m a very good FPS player having played thousands of hours of most shooters. I’m very good at shooters – I average 2 and above KDR in most FPS games I play. I am by no means bad at shooting people in a virtual arena.
I wrote all that to give you an idea of how I perform in FPS games (not to brag) and explain why I’m very frustrated with the Target Practice adventure that I cannot beat silver on not because of my lack of skill in FPS mechanics but because it’s so poorly made.
Most of the times the targeting reticle and where the shots go are not lined up – so I’ll shoot fast and dead on the target only to find that I’ve missed.

This sort of thing is unacceptable to me – you force me out of my MMO experience ( which is what I want now since I’m in my MMO not my FPS) and on top of it you have me play an FPS only to deliver a very sub-par and frustrating experience.

How is this supposed to be fine?

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

I hate being forced to do the story to get MP.
I hated being forced to do JP’s to get MP.
I hate being forced to kill specific champions to get MP.
I hate being forced to do entire event chains to get MP.
I hate being forced to kill things to get MP.
I hate being forced to do PvE to get MP.
I hate being forced to do scavenger hunts to get MP.
I hate being forced to do adventures to get MP.

Etc etc etc etc

Not everything in the game will be something that you enjoy.

It would be nice if there was anything enjoyable about the game.

Posted by: Scandi.5693

Scandi.5693

Adventures and having to do them for mastery is worst thing ever in an mmo. I didnt like mario adventures when I was younger playing on nintendo, I dont like them now in HoT. This timed mushroom jumping nonsense, wth.

Mistress Savant of the Asuran Dominion.

Posted by: TheArtOfMouts.7468

TheArtOfMouts.7468

HoT is a cluster of Gating / Waiting Time / Farming / Timer
Artificial game content.
Game Design this days want to avoid this.

Posted by: Broom.2561

Broom.2561

It’s official, we now pay so we can do things we don’t enjoy doing so HOPEFULLY we’ll be able to do things we DO like doing. The standing around watching LFG for an active map (and then clicking fast enough to actually be able to join) is a particular joy.

/sarcasmoff? I don’t think so.

Posted by: Wander.5780

Wander.5780

anyone else beginning to think the whole Masteries system was put in place to create the illusion of content? making you do the same meta events over and over again to disguise the fact that the only real content here is the short, underwhelming story, and the access to guild halls.

Swift.1930

anyone else beginning to think the whole Masteries system was put in place to create the illusion of content? making you do the same meta events over and over again to disguise the fact that the only real content here is the short, underwhelming story, and the access to guild halls.

It’s been touched on a few times, yes. I think the addition of four huge map-wide meta chains was a far bigger hint at illusion, though – the necessity of so many people to remain at least reasonably co-ordinated for periods of up to two hours on so many maps (Silverwastes, Dry Top, Verdant Brink, Tangled Depths, Auric Basin, Dragon’s Stand) is a pretty big pointer at something chilling: the developers possibly prefer to absorb players into less maps via peer pressure and event requirements than to give us more content with less density. And although gliding is kind of cool, it only exists on the new maps, which is another possible hint at the same thing.

But since I’m sure they still care about their playerbase (cash flow if nothing else), I’m not sure why their business managers wouldn’t have considered us catching on to that. The question is, if they are planning to release more maps, why would they need to keep silent about it? Even just hinting at further maps will give the forums fodder for rumor/discussion beyond complaints.

Been there, punned that.

Ehmry Bay Guardian

Posted by: Notsoperky.2348

Notsoperky.2348

I completely agree on both fronts. GW1 never tried to tack on so many things, nor did it try to be something it was not.
Some whacky things existed but they were few and far between and usually associated with festive moments and limited time events.
Also – GW1 had a much stronger sense of atmosphere – a thing that GW2 I feel is strongly missing.

Make it easy for people.

There was Guild Wars, the game. Great game, good pvp (when it was mainstream title), lots of things to do, could swap builds easily, share templates, form teams and being in a guild meant something.

Then they released GW2, which is about as similar to Guild Wars as it is to SM8. Actually, now I think on it, GW2 has a lot more in common with SM8 than Guild Wars.

These mini games are like something some devs did in their spare time then decided to tack on to the maps as they needed more gates for mastery points as they couldn’t work on any more within the 4 maps.

Guild Wars also had many collection events (like one on now) which are fun and rewarding as well as a good number of festivals (themed to the game) with lots of fun quests to do.

I just don’t feel connected with GW2.

(edited by Notsoperky.2348)

Swift.1930

Make it easy for people.

There was Guild Wars, the game. Great game, good pvp (when it was mainstream title), lots of things to do, could swap builds easily, share templates, form teams and being in a guild meant something.

Then they released GW2, which is about as similar to Guild Wars as it is to SM8. Actually, now I think on it, GW2 has a lot more in common with SM8 than Guild Wars.

These mini games are like something some devs did in their spare time then decided to tack on to the maps as they needed more gates for mastery points as they couldn’t work on any more within the 4 maps.

Guild Wars also had many collection events (like one on now) which are fun and rewarding as well as a good number of festivals (themed to the game) with lots of fun quests to do.

I just don’t feel connected with GW2.

If they want us to feel connected, they could give us some of the GW1 maps to wander around and remember things… running into Gwen Thackeray’s grave was probably the most impactful thing that happened to me over the course of playing GW2.

I recently posted a thread (Exploration Maps) suggesting that kind of content be added to the game. Would be curious if the devs run into it and notice how many of us actually care about their first Guild Wars title. With more responses… who knows?

Been there, punned that.

Ehmry Bay Guardian

Posted by: esme.6391

esme.6391

Sanctum Scramble is the worst. the absolute worst. I can’t even finish it let alone receive the silver to finish off my collection. I’m not sure why one adventure would be so difficult and another (the fighting pits one) would be so unimaginably easy. Its pointless and boring.

Ehmry Bay’s adoranecro ~ [GH] ~ Winning over Tyria one inappropriate remark at a time.

SirBlunticus.4258

Just tried this mushroom runner adventure (mini-game).
How can people stand this?
Just awful! Jump on your head to super jump….buuuuut it doesn’t work properly.
Got half way through and decided ONCE AGAIN….I feel stupid for even playing this GARBAGE.
PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD TAKE THIS CRAP OUT! MAKE IT OPTIONAL!
I would like to continue masteries and collections….but NOT like this!
Luckily I found a mastery point in a chest in there so I felt ok leaving right away.
Why dont you do that for all of them? Put my unlocks in a chest for trying your garbage at least….so If and WHEN I decide “hey this isn’t for me” I don’t feel “kittened on” for paying you for this mini game crap …which should be a holiday or special occasion type of thing OR totally out of the normal game… maybe somewhere else where people can just play these games if they want….I KNOW make a friggin Tyrian County Fair…players pay fees to play these and win a prize. At least those who want to play them still can and it doesn’t impede progress for anyone else who doesn’t want to play them.

Posted by: Takoyakii.2146

Takoyakii.2146

rant

It’s work..but pretty wonky at 300+ ping. People can stand this because it’s easy to reset and it doesn’t last long and…. pretty fun once you get used to it honestly.

I never think thay can make leap skill to work properly in high ping anyway.
Super jump try to aim it. If green AoE is up mean it can get there. Don’t spam the skill or it won’t get you anywhere.

But….eh..that adventure.

Isn’t that adventure totally optional or I’m missing something?

Obtena.7952

They’re a barrier because they’re poorly implemented in some places and because they’re trying to force people to do something they don’t want to do.

In an MMO with traditional MMO mechanics I can accept being forced to do certain tasks to obtain some reward or unlock something.

It is however greatly annoying when the game forces me to give up on the mechanics I came to the game for and forces me to go through mechanics I dislike or which are poorly implemented. It creates frustration.

I’m an avid gamer – I play MMOs, FPS games, RTS games, you name it. Mostly multiplayer in all.
I’m a very good FPS player having played thousands of hours of most shooters. I’m very good at shooters – I average 2 and above KDR in most FPS games I play. I am by no means bad at shooting people in a virtual arena.
I wrote all that to give you an idea of how I perform in FPS games (not to brag) and explain why I’m very frustrated with the Target Practice adventure that I cannot beat silver on not because of my lack of skill in FPS mechanics but because it’s so poorly made.
Most of the times the targeting reticle and where the shots go are not lined up – so I’ll shoot fast and dead on the target only to find that I’ve missed.

This sort of thing is unacceptable to me – you force me out of my MMO experience ( which is what I want now since I’m in my MMO not my FPS) and on top of it you have me play an FPS only to deliver a very sub-par and frustrating experience.

You’re not saying anything that isn’t already prevalent or specific to HoT, GW2 or any MMO for that matter. If you’re only interested in doing things you’re willing to do, you won’t get much enjoyment from any MMO that requires you to do something for something else; MMO’s simply aren’t advanced enough to allow you to ‘play your own adventure’. I’ve played VERY few MMO’s that give you options when doing unlock or obtaining a ‘thing’. Very linear play.

What makes GW2 good with that respect is the things they put for unlocking rarely prevent you from playing whatever content you want, whereas lots of MMO’s use activity or gear gates to slow or prevent player progression.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

What makes GW2 good with that respect is the things they put for unlocking rarely prevent you from playing whatever content you want, whereas lots of MMO’s use activity or gear gates to slow or prevent player progression.

That was indeed true of GW2 before they released HoT.

Posted by: Erukk.1408

Erukk.1408

A lot of people here seem to be under the assumption that Anet isn’t going to add anymore HoT masteries points to the game. It is way to early to assume that when we have no idea what sort of rewards s3 of the LS is going to have.

Until we know for sure whether they’re going to be a part of the LS’s achievements or not, please keep the rant-iness in your complaints to a manageable level.

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

No, silver.

Nobody is making you do adventures, man. There are plenty of sources for XP and you don’t need to finish any specialization collections. IDK what to tell you.

Yet if you want to finish your mastires, you do have to play them. you see you need to get gold on them to unlock the points that are locked behind them.

I don’t know what to tell you, other than maybe read the OP and have all the facts.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: Kraggy.4169

Kraggy.4169

Etc etc etc etc

Don’t try becoming an author on a professional basis … it’d be a desaster.

How old are you? Let’s talk about split time reaction when you’re 45+ and have had a rather stressful work-day. At 20:00 I’m not at my best and even at my best I’d lose hands down against a 16 year old – age does that to people.

Being an author usually requires the ability to spell correctly, though I guess you can out-source that to your editor, so you have a skill that need brushing up if you wanted to become one.

Obtena.7952

Maybe, but GW2 is still good because of that. Having a few things behind locks doesn’t make it bad, that’s for certain.

Posted by: Mina.2409

Mina.2409

I also am having a hard time finding Mastery Points at the stage I am in without having to go into these challenges. I have one Mastery line at 99%, but I switched to another because I didn’t have enough Mastery Points to unlock it. Now my other lines are getting fuller, but I still don’t have enough Mastery Points to unlock either of them.
I am now picking my content by what rewards Mastery points which is getting very limited the higher you get. It really has a ‘forced’ feeling to it, so I have been avoiding HoT maps more and more lately because of this. I would like to be able to go into those maps and do the content I enjoy yet still be able to make some progress towards Mastery, which you can only do until your XP bars fill.

Posted by: Dark Saviour.9410

Dark Saviour.9410

I enjoy minigames and the like as relaxing distractions, but these… most are not so relaxing when the gold threshold is so tight. XP has been the limiting factor for me thusfar anyway, but I know some of these I’m going to just have to forego. :-(

Gone for good after Halloween 2Ø12.
A shame fun things could not simply be fun.

HtFde.3856

Etc etc etc etc

Don’t try becoming an author on a professional basis … it’d be a desaster.

How old are you? Let’s talk about split time reaction when you’re 45+ and have had a rather stressful work-day. At 20:00 I’m not at my best and even at my best I’d lose hands down against a 16 year old – age does that to people.

Being an author usually requires the ability to spell correctly, though I guess you can out-source that to your editor, so you have a skill that need brushing up if you wanted to become one.

Nods, English being my third language I think I can live with that knowledge

HtFde.3856

I enjoy minigames and the like as relaxing distractions, but these… most are not so relaxing when the gold threshold is so tight. XP has been the limiting factor for me thusfar anyway, but I know some of these I’m going to just have to forego. :-(

Well, it’s a mindset thing, I think. When you do them just for relaxing with nothing but maybe a title tied to it you can approach them in a relaxed fashion. When it’s the only source of mastery points still left for you and if you need a specific one for your ascended class-specific weapon … well … I guess one just feels way less relaxed.

Therefore I think that a lot more people might enjoy those if they were a thing to do when one feels like doing them instead of not liking them because they are a “must-get” at the moment.

I know (personal thing, I know) from my own experience that I am not really a big fan of jumping puzzles but I did them all and whenever I felt frustrated (talk about the etherblade one) I just stopped doing it and did something else and returned whenever I felt I could have another go. So it took me like 2 years to go through all jumping puzzles but I did actually enjoy my attempts.

Posted by: elkirin.8534

elkirin.8534

Just before HoT launched I finally completed the last few JP’s around the world, I did it because it was something I had not completed. I gained satisfaction out of it.

IMHO IF JP’s had Mastery Points tied behind their completion, I would not have done them. I am 55 years old and that is NOT the way to get me to do something.

End of story, we are individuals, do the Adventures if you wish. If you refuse to do them as it feels “forced” I can understand that decision as well.

Dubain – Sea of Whoever we are Linked to now

Harper.4173

You’re not saying anything that isn’t already prevalent or specific to HoT, GW2 or any MMO for that matter. If you’re only interested in doing things you’re willing to do, you won’t get much enjoyment from any MMO that requires you to do something for something else; MMO’s simply aren’t advanced enough to allow you to ‘play your own adventure’. I’ve played VERY few MMO’s that give you options when doing unlock or obtaining a ‘thing’. Very linear play.

I do not mind being made to unlock things.
I mind being made to unlock things by being forced to play the developer’s sub-par versions of other games.

If you want me to unlock things in GW2 the MMO make me use GW2’s MMO mechanics – don’t make me play poor clones of other games. Other games i would be playing if I wanted to play using those mechanics.

Did you get my post at all?

I’ll reiterate – unlocking things by doing things? Good.
Asking me to unlock things by playing something that’s poorly designed by trying to make GW2 work as something it isn’t and was never designed to be? bad.

Ayrilana.1396

No, silver.

Nobody is making you do adventures, man. There are plenty of sources for XP and you don’t need to finish any specialization collections. IDK what to tell you.

Yet if you want to finish your mastires, you do have to play them. you see you need to get gold on them to unlock the points that are locked behind them.

I don’t know what to tell you, other than maybe read the OP and have all the facts.

You don’t need to get gold on any adventures to max all of your masteries.

Ayrilana.1396

It’s still true today. Most of the content in the HoT maps is not locked out for you as you can still do 99% of the meta events. What is locked requires low tiered masteries which are fairly quick to obtain.

Swift.1930

No, silver.

(Until they add more masteries to use up the spare points, that is.)

But hopefully they also add more sources on that day.

Been there, punned that.

Ehmry Bay Guardian

Ayrilana.1396

No, silver.

(Until they add more masteries to use up the spare points, that is.)

But hopefully they also add more sources on that day.

They added two more masteries for raids and more than two mastery points.