ANet might've overreacted?

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: fireflyry.7023

fireflyry.7023

Wildstar says hello.

LOTRO says hello.

SWTOR says hello.

Need any more?

A game that released non-sub would be nice.

Yeah it sucks, yeah Anet stuffed up and rushed the release but it’s done.

Those wanting harder content have it, would be surprised if it’s not nerfed once raids hit. Those wanting “fun” and easymode have some pretty cool festival content and the rest of the game.

If your to impatient to wait more than a few weeks to let them at least attempt to sort it out, we are talking MMO expansion release here, that’s your issue.

If your pre-purchase raging I have no sympathy at all.

If your having adventurer problems I feel bad for you son, I dodged 99 arrows till my knee took one.

(edited by fireflyry.7023)

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Those wanting “fun” and easymode have some pretty cool festival content and the rest of the game.

Why should they finance the content for others, then, if they are being told to stay in the core? And if they didn’t finance it, then the expac would have flopped – with possible heavy negative repercussions for the future of the game.

In this game (in most games, actually, but in GW2 especially) casuals outnumber the hardcores by a significant margin. The game could survive hardcores leaving, but will not survive displeasure of casuals.

Think of it next time you will tell someone to leave or stay out of expac.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: MikaHR.1978

MikaHR.1978

Wildstar says hello.

LOTRO says hello.

SWTOR says hello.

Need any more?

A game that released non-sub would be nice.

Yeah it sucks, yeah Anet stuffed up and rushed the release but it’s done.

Those wanting harder content have it, would be surprised if it’s not nerfed once raids hit. Those wanting “fun” and easymode have some pretty cool festival content and the rest of the game.

If your to impatient to wait more than a few weeks to let them at least attempt to sort it out, we are talking MMO expansion release here, that’s your issue.

If your pre-purchase raging I have no sympathy at all.

Non subbed? This is PAID content. I dont really know whats wrong with you, or if you dont understand that you HAVE TO pay for it.

And its so cute youre trying to turn this into “awww it was just one big missunderstanding” because it wasnt. ANet did what they did deliberatrely.

It was just an accident, amiright?

Colin Johanson: “Everyone, including casual gamers, by level 80 should have the
best statistical loot in the game. We want everyone on an equal power base.”

fireflyry.7023

I didn’t say that. Don’t put words in my mouth to reinforce your opinion.

What I DID say in my first post in this thread is that it seems pretty obvious the expac was rushed, seemingly this was an easy impression to form months before release.

As such Anet were stuck between a rock and a hard place. Raids, main content for the “hardcore” weren’t ready so they had to make a decision. Release what was ready, the new open-world PvE, as the only content option for such players.

Cross fingers and hope the “casuals” will be ok with a festival, core and a new class till they work like madmen to get raids out. Yeah it backfired but imo opinion it was better than releasing the whole thing in easymode. And yeah…I’m a fully casual.

I would be highly surprised if this content isn’t nerfed after raids come out.

As expressed in my first post this is all assumption, but it’s not hard to come to.

If you pre-purchased I again have zero sympathy. You gave yourself no opportunity to make an informed decision. You just jumped the gun based on beta preview, previous content and the promise of shinies or extras.

Maybe chalk it up as a lesson?

I have little fear for the future of the game, as least as far as getting my monies worth casuals rioting or not. I’d imagine most are in-game as we type.

Non subbed?

Yeah…as in pay once and that’s it. The examples you gave were subbed at release.

Pre-purchased eh.

Amirite?

If your having adventurer problems I feel bad for you son, I dodged 99 arrows till my knee took one.

(edited by fireflyry.7023)

Posted by: Killyox.3950

Killyox.3950

I rejoiced at the fact tha tHOT maps are harder. I still find them a bit too easy for my taste but there has to be a middle ground for those who find it hard already. SO I think current level of difficulty is ok for the most part.

MikaHR.1978

I didn’t say that. Don’t put words in my mouth to reinforce your opinion.

What I DID say in my first post in this thread is that it seems pretty obvious the expac was rushed, seemingly this was an easy impression to form months before release.

As such Anet were stuck between a rock and a hard place. Raids, main content for the “hardcore” weren’t ready so they had to make a decision. Release what was ready, the new open-world PvE, as the only content option for such players.

Cross fingers and hope the “casuals” will be ok with a festival, core and a new class till they work like madmen to get raids out. Yeah it backfired but imo opinion it was better than releasing the whole thing in easymode. And yeah…I’m a fully casual.

I would be highly surprised if this content isn’t nerfed after raids come out.

As expressed in my first post this is all assumption, but it’s not hard to come to.

If you pre-purchased I again have zero sympathy. You gave yourself no opportunity to make an informed decision. You just jumped the gun based on beta preview, previous content and the promise of shinies or extras.

Maybe chalk it up as a lesson?

I have little fear for the future of the game, as least as far as getting my monies worth casuals rioting or not. I’d imagine most are in-game as we type.

Non subbed?

Yeah…as in pay once and that’s it. The examples you gave were subbed at release.

Pre-purchased eh.

Amirite?

You are aware that people are asking for refund and ANet is granting it, right?

Because, as you like to put it: they can play core game…..WITHOUT spending 50$.

(edited by MikaHR.1978)

Posted by: Magira.6390

Magira.6390

On of the thing one sees well that Guild Wars 2 has only the name in common with Guild Wars. No one in Guild Wars would have thought of something to introduce. PVP Toon with all skills were instant buildable. And the PVE levels at level 20 (more there was not) went to 3 hours.
Now it is only one of many mainstream MMOs focusing on PVE, raids and Grinding.
Sad development for all the from the very beginning (2005) were in Guild Wars. And looking for an alternative ….

(edited by Magira.6390)

Posted by: Coyote.7031

Coyote.7031

Anet has a lot of tools in their tool shed to create challenging content without forcing everyone to partake in challenges they might not be ready for or skilled enough to complete.

They have megaservers and instanced map technology, they could split the maps by difficulty offering the more difficult maps with higher rewards. That way you can play the difficulty you are most comfortable with. And if people do end up always picking the easy maps, well then we know people didn’t really want a challenge now did they?

Masteries could’ve been a system to tailor your character to certain difficulties for bonus rewards by either making content easier or more difficult, such as negative poison resist.

They have fractals which could be expanded to provide lots of different challenges. They could’ve added new fights and bosses. They could add a solo mode where you challenge yourself against certain champions similar to the Queen’s Gauntlet champions to test your class and knowledge skills.

The unlocks for specializations could have been a personal story adventure giving key lore on the profession and specialization and challenged you with knowledge about your character, such as reaper quest lines could require you to use boon stripping, conditions, or fears on certain encounters.

There are so many options they could’ve gone with to provide challenging and unique experiences in the expansion. And before you say “Well if you don’t like it get out.” You don’t want people to stop playing. If they stop playing, they stop supporting the game, and the population may dwindle. So instead of telling people to eff off or get good, maybe you should start saying “What can we do to make this a better experience for everyone?”

fireflyry.7023

You are aware that people are asking for refunds and ANet is granting it, right?

Of course, that’s an inevitable consequence of players falling for pre-purchase hype and marketing.

Or…DEATH OF THE GAME!!!

MikaHR.1978

You are aware that people are asking for refunds and ANet is granting it, right?

Of course, that’s an inevitable consequence of players falling for pre-purchase hype and marketing.

Or…DEATH OF THE GAME!!!

Wildstar….all over again.

And you cherry picking what to quote aint fooling anyone.

Posted by: Odokuro.5049

Odokuro.5049

The more I come to the HoT Forum the more I regret it, and the more it makes my head hurt…

I knew that after they lowered the Hero Point cost for unlocking Elite Specs, that there would be another flood of these, “Salty tear filled posts” about how people feel they where lied to, and how the content is too hard and takes too much time and effort, and they should be given everything upfront because they fill entitled to it because they bought the expansion…

Yes, you bought the expansion, you get to play the game, but, that doesn’t mean you won’t have hardships and aggravating moments during gameplay, it doesn’t mean you won’t have to work for things, and put hours/days/weeks ect. towards achieving something in-game.

I swear it’s this new generation of gamer, or people new to MMOs in general, that they all just feel overly entitled to everything, and believe that if it isn’t obtainable by minimal efforts, that it’s too hard and it’s a grind, and should be made easier.

A lot of people say, “Well if they keep it this challenging, people aren’t going to stick around”. Well guess what, if they water down everything, people are going to blaze through it and leave too, because it’s boring?

ANet needs to keep the challenging content, yet maybe implement shinier carrots?

The Self-Proclaimed Pervy Sage of Yaks Bend.
https://www.twitch.tv/amazinphelix

Posted by: gricks.1897

gricks.1897

HoT is challenging. This is a good thing. It NOT overly Challenging. If your bad at the game, it will make you better. It will teach you to time those dodges, time those blinds, time those blocks.

The maps do get progressively more difficult as you progress through them. The maps will also become easier as the meta events are figured out. This is nothing more than a large scale Silverwastes experience when SW dropped and people were figuring it out.

The maps and mobs will be figured out and it will lessen in difficulty with the knowledge. It is FAR too early to bring in the nerf hammer. I personally miss original Orr where the exploration of that dead land was deadly and a constant fight. This is perfect for a feeling of being in the dragons domain.

The Wrecking Krewe[NYE] – [Maguuma] Arum Bloodclaw

fireflyry.7023

Time will tell on that one but I seriously doubt it and I’m happy to eat humble pie. It’s just a game and I’ll get my coins worth. Similar things have been said with every content release. Franchise is still trucking on.

You pre-purchasers are so humorously over dramatic, not even a week after release.

I get you got hustled and your angry you didn’t get what you want and I want it now!

Again…maybe learn from it. I have corn cobs to farm. Cya.

Coyote.7031

Or…DEATH OF THE GAME!!!

I keep seeing Wildstar mentioned, and it’s funny, that’s what I’m playing instead of HoT right now. There are still a heap of issues, like very unbalanced PvP matches, but I’m shocked at how fair or even generous the game has become. The Halloween costume? I unlocked it in a single morning of runs through their fancy little Halloween dungeon which can be solo’d. And all I can think is “Wait I don’t need 3k currency for this? I can just … have it?” They have weapon skins, an entire set for 5 bucks in the store! Dyes that you just buy and get them, no need to gamble (but dyeing gear costs in game currency.) Even as f2p I earned enough store currency to buy that weapon set or dye packs or whatever. I used it to unlock AH slots so I could list more items on the AH and make more moneys. Now I may never end up in the fancy raids, but man if they keep updating the store and giving my lots of little events to putter in for fun little rewards like costumes and decor items for my housing plot, I can see myself being happy in this game. But yeah… pvp is hit or miss, makes me miss sPVP in GW2 a little.

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

To begin with, this is not a discussion about masteries or hero points, but the expansion as a whole.

We all know there was a large group of people who were asking for challenging content in GW2, and I was one of them. But I think the way they implemented in HoT was something like “They want hard content? We will give them hard content! YOLO!”.

You don’t make a whole expansion cattered just for the a certain group of people, there needs to be a balance. There were other MMOs that went full hardcore and we all know how they ended.
Now you got the situation where the more casual of the players (which are quite a lot) are uttermost frustrated and are not enjoying the content.

They could’ve left the meta events in the maps and raids as challeging content, while leaving the general maps accessible for those who are just interested in exploring, gathering, doing little events, etc. That way you would please both groups of players.
Adventures are a good example of content done right, you have the Bronze tier pretty much accessible to anyone, while the Gold tiers will probably be done by those who want a challenge.

I don’t think any of the hardcore players really enjoy random packs of elite mobs placed everywhere for no reason either.
The new maps feel like Orr on release, with more leaves. And we all know how Orr ended up, even now after the nerf, the only people who go there are the ones doing the Cursed Shore train and the ones going for map completion.

And please think about this in general, do not mindlessy reply, do you think releasing an expansion designed to a single target audience is good for the game in the long run?
Do you think the casual players will quit the expansion maps after the hype is gone? And if yes, how will that affect the game in those areas?

Keep in mind that a lot of the casual players cannot afford to improve, they have limited gameplay time, real life responsabilities, etc and they just want to relax a couple of hours a week for example.

They are starting to balance things out already, as you can see by the recent changes. Considering most of the content required groups, these recent changes are good.

If you think just be able to explore, gather and find that rare event before was ok then you are wrong.

Your challenging content is coming. Raids are coming, the dragon event, certain event chains are all group required so those are enough… Not everybody plays 20 hours a day or wants to be in groups all the time so these recent changes are the devs acknowledging that. Balance doesn’t mean 95% of hot content needs to be “tuned up”.

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

(edited by Swagger.1459)

MikaHR.1978

Or…DEATH OF THE GAME!!!

I keep seeing Wildstar mentioned, and it’s funny, that’s what I’m playing instead of HoT right now. There are still a heap of issues, like very unbalanced PvP matches, but I’m shocked at how fair or even generous the game has become. The Halloween costume? I unlocked it in a single morning of runs through their fancy little Halloween dungeon which can be solo’d. And all I can think is “Wait I don’t need 3k currency for this? I can just … have it?” They have weapon skins, an entire set for 5 bucks in the store! Dyes that you just buy and get them, no need to gamble (but dyeing gear costs in game currency.) Even as f2p I earned enough store currency to buy that weapon set or dye packs or whatever. I used it to unlock AH slots so I could list more items on the AH and make more moneys. Now I may never end up in the fancy raids, but man if they keep updating the store and giving my lots of little events to putter in for fun little rewards like costumes and decor items for my housing plot, I can see myself being happy in this game. But yeah… pvp is hit or miss, makes me miss sPVP in GW2 a little.

Yup, they “dumbified” Wildstar a lot, and funny, now that hardcores are gone, and the game is “super dumbified” its doing just fine lol

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

Is casual suddenly a codeword for "bad: or “braindead”?

People often seem to use it that way, but that’s just because they don’t understand what casual actually means. It says more about them than it does about the casual player.

there is unfortunately not a set definition of “casual”. Some cite time, I would bring up investment in a game´s mechanics and the willingness to actually apply your mind to in game problems.

Anyway, in my experience the “casual=bad” formula is furthered more by bad players who draw the casual card to change games to their level of competence more than anything else. Either knowingly or because they really don´t realize they are in the lowest bracket of competence.

MikaHR.1978

Time will tell on that one but I seriously doubt it and I’m happy to eat humble pie. It’s just a game and I’ll get my coins worth. Similar things have been said with every content release. Franchise is still trucking on.

You pre-purchasers are so humorously over dramatic, not even a week after release.

I get you got hustled and your angry you didn’t get what you want and I want it now!

Again…maybe learn from it. I have corn cobs to farm. Cya.

Ummm, dude, you are aware that you are putting more mud on ANet than any of the “whiners”. Its ironic really. And funny as hell.

Posted by: Sekhmet.6153

Sekhmet.6153

The more I come to the HoT Forum the more I regret it, and the more it makes my head hurt…

I knew that after they lowered the Hero Point cost for unlocking Elite Specs, that there would be another flood of these, “Salty tear filled posts” about how people feel they where lied to, and how the content is too hard and takes too much time and effort, and they should be given everything upfront because they fill entitled to it because they bought the expansion…

Yes, you bought the expansion, you get to play the game, but, that doesn’t mean you won’t have hardships and aggravating moments during gameplay, it doesn’t mean you won’t have to work for things, and put hours/days/weeks ect. towards achieving something in-game.

I swear it’s this new generation of gamer, or people new to MMOs in general, that they all just feel overly entitled to everything, and believe that if it isn’t obtainable by minimal efforts, that it’s too hard and it’s a grind, and should be made easier.

A lot of people say, “Well if they keep it this challenging, people aren’t going to stick around”. Well guess what, if they water down everything, people are going to blaze through it and leave too, because it’s boring?

ANet needs to keep the challenging content, yet maybe implement shinier carrots?

If I ever hear the term “entitled” referring to gamers who paid full price for a game they didn’t realize would be too challenging for them or too difficult, I’m going to bury my head in my hand. This is a video game. You shouldn’t HAVE to work to have fun.

I repeat. You shouldn’t HAVE to work to have fun. If thats how you DO have fun? Good for you. Thats your personal tastes as a gamer, thats what you look for in content. Not everyone does. Right now you are able to work for your fun and you’re happy, so kindly and politely stop commenting about how others see the game.

Not everyone is going to hate or love the new content and there will be disagreements on what was done well and what was a mistake, but theres no need to start acting like people complaining are “entitled” or whatever word you want to throw around to imply they’re wrong for feeling the way they feel. Grow up.

So far there are a lot of people having issues with the new content. Players paid full price for a paid for expansion, and not all of them were under the assumption that “challenging new content” was meant to describe a majority of the expansion. In fact, just going by ANets history of GW2 in general, it should have been safe to assume that most content would be relatively casual that would ramp up when you go into challenges, Bosses, end game events and eventually Raids. I doubt most people just assumed that typical world events you needed to cross to get to just random parts on the map would be fairly difficult.

Anet most likely should have communicated that better to the playerbase as a whole.

Coyote.7031

Yup, they “dumbified” Wildstar a lot, and funny, now that hardcores are gone, and the game is “super dumbified” its doing just fine lol

I don’t even find it that dumb, they have a very vast rune system to add stats to your gear, pretty much required once you get a decent “end game” set, like my pvp armor. And it requires some math, addons, or knowledge to work out your runes and class set runes. There’s plenty of build diversity and abilities you can swap in for situations. I’m sure raiding had their meta like always, but small group and pvp has options. You can use ability points and your amps (traits) to create some interesting combos and even add in fusion runes that give a fun effect. There’s depth there, just not sure how deep right now. Ask me again in a month or two I guess.

Posted by: Mike.7263

Mike.7263

Protip: humblebragging about how “hardcore” you are by defending poor design decisions is as transparent as Evon Gnashblade’s greed.

Algreg.3629

Or…DEATH OF THE GAME!!!

The “hardcore” part was not the major issue of Wildstar at launch (open world and many instances weren´t that difficult anyway), but tedious mechanics (eg. raids having a ridiculous attunement process completely unrelated to the actual raid or the story) and a game that was not really ready for launch yet, many things were not really thought through.

Not to mention taking the risk of going subscription based, I hardly see that working anymore in today´s industry. Whether they will do fine remains to be seen anyway.

I mean, I understand your yearning for casual schadenfreude, it is never fun failing at things other people can do, but I can assure you it is completely unfounded.

Sekhmet.6153

People often seem to use it that way, but that’s just because they don’t understand what casual actually means. It says more about them than it does about the casual player.

there is unfortunately not a set definition of “casual”. Some cite time, I would bring up investment in a game´s mechanics and the willingness to actually apply your mind to in game problems.

Anyway, in my experience the “casual=bad” formula is furthered more by bad players who draw the casual card to change games to their level of competence more than anything else. Either knowingly or because they really don´t realize they are in the lowest bracket of competence.

Its not always just about a “willingness to actually apply your mind to in game problems”. When you say that, you’re just attacking some players you label “casual” because you’re saying they’re just whining and aren’t trying, which i would thoroughly disagree with considering a majority of people I personally know I would describe as casual gamers and do not at all fit that description.

Not everyone who wants to and is currently playing Guild Wars 2, has much experience, if at all, with other games. My sister likes to play Guild Wars 2, just like she did with Guild Wars 1, and she hasn’t played an actual video game since the PS1 era (outside of playing Castlevania for the ps2). My wife loves games but often only play smaybe a few times out of the year. Shes learned the mechanics of GW2 enough to play in dungeons, but she gets intimidated easily because she doesn’t have quick reflexes when it comes to games.

People can’t just assume that gamers saying " this is frustrating to me" or “this is too hard”, are just lazy people who want all the shinies without any work. Some just struggle to do what others do relatively easily.

Also, again, not everyone wants to work to have fun. There are going to be gamers that really don’t want to die when they play a game. They’re no different than the really hardcore crowd that want to have challenge everywhere they play. We can’t belittle gamers for their tastes, considering not everyone has the same sense of fun.

Posted by: eUnD.3156

eUnD.3156

My Gf is pretty much the most Casual Player to think of. About 130 hours played time in the account, not even 1k Anetpoints, she never played a game before where you have to use the keybord + mouse before i guess, … well maybe Minecraft with me, but even there she had difficulties to navigate.
And she adores the Addon. Besides all the stuff she likes, she even enjoys the difficulty! Yesterday she told me how she was trieng to get this HP and died 3 times, before she (quoting) “met this cool group of cute little asuras” who helped her. I told her that it’s not her fault, many people were complaining about the bad designed difficulty, but she replied, that she found it fun to be in danger and needing friends to play with. She comes along just “ok” i guess for a casual. She hasn’t seen the second Map alot yet, but she won’t mind, because “I paid so much money for this game, why should I rush myself though it?”

And that’s it. It is okay to be Casual. It is okay to die, or be worse in gaming. Making such a big thing out of it, that you as a Player suck at a game, makes the game itself bad, is just false reflecting. When my ultra-noobish Gf is capable of playing this Addon, then everyone in this Forum is, because I don’t think that my Gf is suddenly such a Progamer, when she can’t even solve the Mad Kings Clock Towers first 10 Jumps.

Be bad so much you want. It’s not the game, it’s you. HoT-Maps are not even “middle hardcore” or “soft hardcore”. They have a slightly rised difficulty, learn to play it and everything is fine.

Ahhh … i remember the first weeks in the Core game. AC was such a hardcore dungeon, and Lupicus was told to be the hardest boss one could imagine …

Posted by: Lydon.1890

Lydon.1890

I was slightly alarmed to see the recent ANet HP announcement say that they are very happy with the difficulty level of HoT. I can’t help but think they have lost touch with their core audience. I’ve recently left another game where the devs listened to the vocal minority who said they wanted it harder.

I’m sorry, but this is extremely ironic. The vast majority of people are out there enjoying the game. The vocal minority are the few people here on the forum complaining about the difficulty level.

The difficulty has been a breathe of fresh air, in my opinion.

MikaHR.1978

Or…DEATH OF THE GAME!!!

The “hardcore” part was not the major issue of Wildstar at launch (open world and many instances weren´t that difficult anyway), but tedious mechanics (eg. raids having a ridiculous attunement process completely unrelated to the actual raid or the story) and a game that was not really ready for launch yet, many things were not really thought through.

Not to mention taking the risk of going subscription based, I hardly see that working anymore in today´s industry. Whether they will do fine remains to be seen anyway.

I mean, I understand your yearning for casual schadenfreude, it is never fun failing at things other people can do, but I can assure you it is completely unfounded.

Oh, you should have seen the outbreak from “hardcores” when Carbine started changing things and, as far as they are concerend “Carbine totally ruined the game by listening casual whiners”. Instead they could have looked at empty servers.

Algreg.3629

Its not always just about a “willingness to actually apply your mind to in game problems”. When you say that, you’re just attacking some players you label “casual” because you’re saying they’re just whining and aren’t trying, which i would thoroughly disagree with considering a majority of people I personally know I would describe as casual gamers and do not at all fit that description.

hence I pointed out there are various definitions.

If you want to see it as an attack, well, do. I am just bringing up the fact that people who want to improve do so by pondering their in game choices and inform themselves. Others choose to do not. Personally, I cannot define that as “work”. For me, casual play is work, no thrill, no extremes of emotion, just like sitting at the office in front of my PC.

Algreg.3629

Or…DEATH OF THE GAME!!!

Oh, you should have seen the outbreak from “hardcores” when Carbine started changing things and, as far as they are concerend “Carbine totally ruined the game by listening casual whiners”. Instead they could have looked at empty servers.

I have seen it and played it. The hardcore crowd was as annoying as the casuals in their forums, both fighting a shadow war ignoring the actual issues of the game most of the time.

Posted by: Banchou.5628

Banchou.5628

Navigating will also get a lot easier once you progress.

That is just the problem, if you don’t have the right masteries unlocked you’re forced to do the “Hardcore Course” of the map. If you don’t play a profession that can cheese the content (Thief, Mesmer and now Ranger since the pets don’t get oneshot by the npcs anymore on PvE), you will get a really hard time to travel from point A to B to do a event to train a mastery, for example – and need to be lucky to the event still be up when you finally get to it lol

If the maps had more waypoints or even less “trash” (on some places the amount of elites and vets packed together is ridiculous), would be more easy to deal the “metroidvania” playstyle if you fail at something. But the way the things are at now people get so fed up that even if they get enough masteries to do the “Really Easy Course”, they are already with the infamous burnout from that content and don’t even want to hear the new maps names.

Said that, the new maps order seens to be “wrong” too since Auric Basin is way more friendly than Verdant Brink…

TL;DR the problem isn’t the “Hardcore content, hardcore content everywhere!” feeling, the real problem is the casual content being gated by the hardcore content…

Posted by: Odokuro.5049

Odokuro.5049

If I ever hear the term “entitled” referring to gamers who paid full price for a game they didn’t realize would be too challenging for them or too difficult, I’m going to bury my head in my hand. This is a video game. You shouldn’t HAVE to work to have fun.

I repeat. You shouldn’t HAVE to work to have fun. If thats how you DO have fun? Good for you. Thats your personal tastes as a gamer, thats what you look for in content. Not everyone does. Right now you are able to work for your fun and you’re happy, so kindly and politely stop commenting about how others see the game.

Not everyone is going to hate or love the new content and there will be disagreements on what was done well and what was a mistake, but theres no need to start acting like people complaining are “entitled” or whatever word you want to throw around to imply they’re wrong for feeling the way they feel. Grow up.

So far there are a lot of people having issues with the new content. Players paid full price for a paid for expansion, and not all of them were under the assumption that “challenging new content” was meant to describe a majority of the expansion. In fact, just going by ANets history of GW2 in general, it should have been safe to assume that most content would be relatively casual that would ramp up when you go into challenges, Bosses, end game events and eventually Raids. I doubt most people just assumed that typical world events you needed to cross to get to just random parts on the map would be fairly difficult.

Anet most likely should have communicated that better to the playerbase as a whole.

Alright fair enough, but shouldn’t there be some level of work involved to complete challenges? I see a lot of these types of posts made, rants, complaints, rages, bordering on crying, but with very little to no suggestions on how to improve it without turning the stick around and giving the short end to those players who like myself, enjoy the game (HoT Expansion) as is.

When you buy a car, do you drive it for free? Or are there other things like, licenses/registering it/insuring it/putting gas in it/maintaining it ect? I know this is a pretty far fetched comparison, but the point is, buying an expansion should not safeguard you from things outside your comfort zone, many peoples complaints I see are all about how things “Take too long” or “Can’t be solo’d” or “Too hard to…” which most things they are complaining about, are common place in most MMOs, which makes me think their either new to MMOs in general or they’re used to playing games that present content in a easily reachable/obtainable format and the idea of having the invest time/effort and having to wait for things, just totally unravels their world.

Like I get it, I paid $50.00 USD for this game, but I already knew from reading articles, watching streams/youtube videos, and listening to my friends who played during the beta weekends that they “The Devs” mentioned it would be more challenging and group mechanics would change or be needed, meaning not everything would be a solo-cake walk to the finish line.

I understand that people want to enjoy the game, that people want to complete objectives how they want, either alone or in a group of players, but we don’t always get what we want, and it is virtually impossible to please every type of player, somethings will never change, accept it and adapt.

The Self-Proclaimed Pervy Sage of Yaks Bend.
https://www.twitch.tv/amazinphelix

(edited by Odokuro.5049)

MikaHR.1978

Or…DEATH OF THE GAME!!!

I have seen it and played it. The hardcore crowd was as annoying as the casuals in their forums, both fighting a shadow war ignoring the actual issues of the game most of the time.

There was NO casual crowd left, youre just making things up. Actual issue of the game was that it had NO casual/solo content in endgame. EVERYTHING was tuned to group/hardcore. You are part of that hardcore crowd who just ignored real issues with the game. Just like you do here.

Evidence: all “dumbification” that had happened since then. And dead servers in meantime.

(edited by MikaHR.1978)

Algreg.3629

Or…DEATH OF THE GAME!!!

There was NO casual crowd left, youre just making things up. Actual issue of the game was that it had NO casual/solo content in endgame. EVERYTHING was tuned to group/hardcore.

sure, sure… imagine there were so called casual players in beta and later. And the endgame content was not “hardcore”, it was ridiculous. Repeating the same quests every day to progress? Sure, hardcore. I´d say you confuse “hardcore” with things that are not good or you do not like personally.

MikaHR.1978

Or…DEATH OF THE GAME!!!

There was NO casual crowd left, youre just making things up. Actual issue of the game was that it had NO casual/solo content in endgame. EVERYTHING was tuned to group/hardcore.

sure, sure… imagine there were so called casual players in beta and later. And the endgame content was not “hardcore”, it was ridiculous. Repeating the same quests every day to progress? Sure, hardcore. I´d say you confuse “hardcore” with things that are not good or you do not like personally.

Taking EXTREME amount of time is hardcore. Couple it with all golds needed, gear and all else AND only group or not need apply.

AND that was all that Wildstar had for endgame. Harcores were so happy game caters only to them and it was same as here, talking down to EVERYONE who tried to tell them that WS will fail. And it did, and Carbine “dumbified” the game, and they left and WS is now doing FINE.

And yes, it was sub game but ti had ONLY content that keeps hardcores subbed. That worked VERY well…not

As i said, “Widlstar was ruined” (signed: hardcore)

(edited by MikaHR.1978)

Algreg.3629

Or…DEATH OF THE GAME!!!

Taking EXTREME amount of time is hardcore. Couple it with all golds needed, gear and all else AND only group or not need apply.

AND that was all that Wildstar had for endgame. Harcores were so happy game caters only to them and it was same as here, talking down to EVERYONE who tried to tell them that WS will fail. And it did, and Carbine “dumbified” the game, and they left and WS is now doing FINE.

Taking EXTREME amount of time is hardcore – the most ridiculous definition I ever heard. I´d go with requirements of skill and a real possibility of failure. And noone was being happy. But I guess you missed that in your little crusade.

MikaHR.1978

Or…DEATH OF THE GAME!!!

Taking EXTREME amount of time is hardcore – the most ridiculous definition I ever heard. I´d go with requirements of skill and a real possibility of failure. And noone was being happy. But I guess you missed that in your little crusade.

Hardcores WERE happy. I gues you missed that. What they WERENT happy about was when Carbine started “dumbifying the game” because it was on trajectory to hit the ground because “it was tuned so every filthy casual can do it in a day”

Taking extreme amounts of time IS hardcore (amog other things)

Just look at things here with HP adjustements, how many jumped that “they are dumbifiying GW2 expansion already”

And i have no doubts it will be “dumbified” a lot more.

(edited by MikaHR.1978)

Posted by: Gimli.9461

Gimli.9461

I’m +1 on the original post, I’m coming to not enjoy this. I’m in fact not spending another penny on this game. The only way they see my money again is if I get that full set of legendary gear precursors without bashing my head at raids for hours. Because I don’t have that leet group of no-lifers to go raiding with. I have 1 person I found who I play with constantly now, that’s about it.

PS: to clarify, certainly I know i’ll have to do raids for hours to get legendary armor. What I mean to say is trying wing 1 say for days and days and months and not succeeding. If it’s reasonably challenging where it can be done with your average ppl group, okay. I have zerker ascended heavy, and sinister ascended medium. I’m not crafting another set just for that stupid stats combo.

Posted by: bromi.7809

bromi.7809

Could i just drop somewhere a vote for Please Leave This Content As It Is?
Last 3-4 days i’ve actually enjoyed playing gw2, and it wasn’t like this for a long time. I’ve enjoyed learning which frogs are actually dangerous and which not, their pattern of attacks, whom i should kill first. I’m still running mostly zerk equip, but changed a bit of accessories to adapt. It is fun. There are actually no packs of elites spawning unless near runs a train of adventurers, who would take care of elites anyway.
And yes, Veterans now look like they really ARE veterans, not like they were eating better in childhood.

I’ve just finished Verdant to 100% and it was really amazing — you don’t need other than updraft and bounce to finish it. You spend the time in canopies watching and making photos, and you drop on the events like batman, what could you wish more for?

Please, Leave it be. It is finally fun.

Posted by: TheDarkShiek.7854

TheDarkShiek.7854

I’m sorry VaLee but I think you’re missing the point.

- We’re walking into the big nasty evil guys home turf.
- Of course all his neighbors are against us.
- The entire story is built on the idea of gathering allies together because it’s the only way to survive.

Now, the kicker:

Part of the story is a test of leadership, which revolves around gathering and coordinating NPC allies to survive something that cannot possibly be survived by yourself.

Now if that story mission isn’t enough of a “Clue by Four” then I’m sorry but there’s really nothing else to say.

No, you can’t wander around ALONE in the worst neighborhood in the whole world.

What on earth ever gave people the idea that they’re supposed to be able to???

Team up. If there are no guildies available or you’re guildless then use map chat. We all have it there because these are not FTP zones. Stand at the entry WP and use say chat…

But stop thinking you can walk to your car by yourself. The neighborhood is way, way too dangerous for that.

And it’s supposed to be!!

I totally agree. If you want easy explorable content, go to core game areas. The content is extreme for a reason. If you are dying so often and can’t survive, adapt to the situation. Go buy gear that gives you toughness/vitality or start getting the new gear that has new stats that also grants boon durations and what not. Use weapons and tech that can interrupt the monsters that do brutal damage and give stability for those that knock you down.

This is going to be hard for some of you to swallow… THE ZERKER META IS OVER.

Posted by: StephyA.5380

StephyA.5380

Tbh, I like the challenge.

This expac finally got me to come back after getting bored of the constant and semi plain base game and got me more interested in playing more than my normal 1-3 hours.

While I do agree that some mobs needs nerfs (especially with how bad of damage the pocket raptors cause, almost doing as much damage as a champion at times), I do feel that some challenge needs to be saved in order to keep these new areas from being bland, boring, and predictable.

With raids and stuff coming, I see them slowly balancing the challenging with the easy. However, I feel the expac has much more to grow before the nail can be put into HoT’s coffin.

Angel of Tyria

Posted by: kurfu.5623

kurfu.5623

Also, please stop trying to ruin my expansion with bad feedback.

“Your” expansion. LOL.

And no, you cannot stop people from expressing opinions that are contrary to yours.

bromi.7809

Tbh, I like the challenge.

While I do agree that some mobs needs nerfs (especially with how bad of damage the pocket raptors cause, almost doing as much damage as a champion at times), I do feel

The raptors are just other attack pattern. You agro them, you see they coming and evade when all pack is just on you, turn back and give them some lame AOE — they are all dead.

Sekhmet.6153

I would also like to say that for any person complaining about “bad” players (i.e. people who are not good at this game or at video games), kindly keep your comments to yourself and stop being a tool.

I am hearing a bunch of whining from posters that are belittling other gamers and mad that people are voicing their opinions about something they like. I really don’t care if you’re good or terrible at this game, you shouldn’t have to be criticized for your opinions.

There is nothing wrong with not being good at a game. If you’re having fun, thats all that matters. People being bad at this game do not effect anything that happens (if you honestly think theres nothing you can do to just avoid bad players, you’re lazier than the “bad players” are for not “l2p”). Honestly, your skill level of a game does not qualify or disqualify your opinion.

If some players are struggling with the content and feel they can’t enjoy it, then some skill levels are not going to have enjoyment out of the game.

bromi.7809

If some players are struggling with the content and feel they can’t enjoy it, then some skill levels are not going to have enjoyment out of the game.

What was that even supposed to mean?

Posted by: displacedTitan.6897

displacedTitan.6897

ITT: People who should probably be playing single player games like Skyrim where they can set it to cuddle-mode and never be threatened with dying. Seriously if you find the general HoT content “hardcore” or “elitist” I think you need to re-evaluate what games you purchase in the future. Mobile games like Bejeweled are a thing, you cant lose those!

Posted by: piano man.1672

piano man.1672

You’re right – let’s make the Mordremoth infested jungle a bubble-wrapped-restricted play area like the rest of the game and have it be a breeze.

Um. No? It’s Modremoth?

On top of it, the expansion is challenging – but it’s not impossible or overly frustrating to progress through. Unless you’re wearing Berserker gear and/or playing as a glass build, you’ll do just fine.

EDIT:
Would also like to mention: I consider myself a fairly casual player. In no way do I think the content is hardcore or for elitist players – it’s just simply more challenging than the core game. To be honest, GW2 has held too many hands in the core game, and a lot of players have taken that for granted. The second they provide us with something a bit more challenging, the “casuals” (I would be hesitant to even call them casual but more like button-mash-1-er’s) complain about how difficult it is, how ANet is excluding the “casual” community. That statement is false, and since I’m a casual player I can vouch for that. People wanted endgame challenging content, and with the expansion ANet has finally provided that.

Kharros 80 Warr | Dead on Revival 80 Necro | Yoxx 80 Guard | Khoton 80 Thief | Thera Majere 80 Ele

(edited by piano man.1672)

Posted by: Meerkatjie.7402

Meerkatjie.7402

Maybe stupid question, but why not just run past mob packs you dont want to fight?

I’ve tried that – there are a lot of mobs that seem to have cripple or other attacks that slow you down – and most times I have died. Sometimes I get away by throwing myself off the nearest cliff and hoping there is something below I can glide too. Or I finally get to where I want to be to find I have a train of mobs following me to join in with whatever I’m there for.

The content seems to be catering to groups of people rather than individuals. I’m guessing that the idea is that once you have your guild hall the guild will then run the new content for mats or event rewards or whatever else because farmable.

Posted by: Meerkatjie.7402

Meerkatjie.7402

My GF is self admittedly as casual as they come and she’s been a very hard sell on the expansion. Enemy difficulty is one of the few things she hasn’t complained about.

Me and my GF are both casual players (no ascended or legendary items, barely any dungeons or wvw or pvp) and we are finding the content very challenging. I have run away and died so many times it’s become our new battlecry. I have yet to be in a map that has completed any of the major events. We play in HoT for a couple hours and then we either leave for SW or crafting because it’s not fun to play.
We ran into a person yesterday who was trying to get to the next part of the story and couldn’t. They tagged along with us and with the 3 of us we managed to get to the next part.

bromi.7809

there are a lot of mobs that seem to have cripple or other attacks that slow you down – and most times I have died.

Errrm, condition cleanse? Blocks? Teleports? Gosh i can argue that mobs kill you in this game, but to run from them — any class can do it easy, man. Really.

Posted by: Valentine.4286

Valentine.4286

I would also like to say that for any person complaining about “bad” players (i.e. people who are not good at this game or at video games), kindly keep your comments to yourself and stop being a tool.

I am hearing a bunch of whining from posters that are belittling other gamers and mad that people are voicing their opinions about something they like. I really don’t care if you’re good or terrible at this game, you shouldn’t have to be criticized for your opinions.

There is nothing wrong with not being good at a game. If you’re having fun, thats all that matters. People being bad at this game do not effect anything that happens (if you honestly think theres nothing you can do to just avoid bad players, you’re lazier than the “bad players” are for not “l2p”). Honestly, your skill level of a game does not qualify or disqualify your opinion.

Jesus “dad”. What a keyboard warrior. Protector of the weak. Calling everyone tools, does it make you feel good? Keep your opinions for yourself if you only want people to agree with your points of view. Stop acting like a, your words, tool. And those last two sentences makes no sence.. How cant skills help if you are struggling?

Algreg.3629

- and who are you to ban such opinions? People will voice just that, regardless whether you like it or not. In this light, your line “you shouldn’t have to be criticized for your opinions” is actually rather amusing. And BS in general, of cause you can criticize opinions, they are not sacrosanct.

- no people being bad players does not have an effect on people. And noone complains about bad players being bad. The complaint is against adjusting a game that possibly has become a little bit more exciting to the skill level of bad players once again and hence making it more unappealing. And that will have an effect on everyone. So yes, it makes sense to raise their voice against that.