Adventures

Adventures

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Assic.2746

Assic.2746

Basing on the today’s “PoI” don’t you think guys that adventures can be anything… for example races.

Maybe those characters who run away from rolling towards them monster are taking part in an adventure or race (similar to grawl fractal xP).

http://youtu.be/IOUk2y0K2m8?t=1m14s

Adventures

Posted by: saventis.1485

saventis.1485

yeaaaaa they are pretty much just heart events with a different name

Adventures

Posted by: Eirian Direstorm.9748

Eirian Direstorm.9748

It seems like they are, except it sounds like as you get masteries, the way you can do the adventure may change, and it seems there is supposed to be something that makes them worth doing over—I guess kind of like meta achievements.

Adventures

Posted by: AnthonyOrdon

AnthonyOrdon

Game Designer

Given that the expansion isn’t released yet you guys have the chance here to give your feedback on what you’d like to see in Adventures.

Bear in mind that the we what we’ve seen so far is content tuned for the show floor being played by someone who’s already had a few tries.

Adventures

Posted by: alexjolly.1463

alexjolly.1463

Hardly, they’re competitive minigames almost. Calling them hearts with a different name doesn’t do them justice.

Bnok – [EXG] Desolation
“A leader leads by example, not by force.” – Sun Tzu

Adventures

Assic.2746

It’s quite smart. If we had completed a heart event, we couldn’t repeat it unless we created another character. In expansion we can repeat it how many times we want.

Plus “hearts” are a hudge part of GW2, they just cannot disappear, so i think we will learn about lore from NPC near outposts and then we can also have some fun ty to the adventure system.

:D

(edited by Assic.2746)

Adventures

Posted by: Marcus Greythorne.6843

Marcus Greythorne.6843

it’s like 1-player guild missions with leaderboards – I love this.

small things I didn’t like that much:

• the UI-symbol on the map was almost too bright, couldn’t see it that easily
  • the UI didn’t indicate the (sub)goals you should achieve in order to get a “good score”, just an arbitary number

I also wonder… what happens if another player wants to do the same adventure at the same time? Wouldn’t you have a problem finding the enemies when the other player has it’s own spawns?

http://gw2style.com/index.php – show your look and rate others – great filters!!

Adventures

Assic.2746

I think that it will work like gathering resources for example. The vine is in the same place for every player but each one have his own vines, which only he can burn.

(edited by Assic.2746)

Adventures

Marcus Greythorne.6843

I’d like to see really challenging 1-player vs. Mob battles that aren’t about hitting the enemy for 20minutes but rather about good avoids (like the battles in Queens Gauntlet).

It should be an instanced gladiator arena in the open world (so that others can easily spectate) with invisible walls.

To take this a step further, you could fight against a variety of enemies, e.g. an enemy (rare spawn) you find in the open world.

• adventure starts: you have 20 minutes to find a worthy enemy in the zone
  • when you’ve found it and want to challenge it in a 1vs1 you mark the enemy with an environmental weapon
  • a npc-warband captures that enemy and prepares it to battle you in the arena
  • scoring:

the stronger the enemy – the more points you can achieve
the faster you kill him – the more points you get

http://gw2style.com/index.php – show your look and rate others – great filters!!

Adventures

Marcus Greythorne.6843

Those arenas could also be used as dueling arenas where players can challenge other players.

Adventures

Posted by: Blaeys.3102

Blaeys.3102

First, the obvious ones:

• Polymock
  • Bar Brawl
  • Archery Contest
  • Musical Bells (with the dynamic addition of new songs to play and master)

(I would also add Kegbrawl, Crab Toss, Southsun Survival and, if possible, Sanctum Sprint – bringing them into the actual game world would allow guilds and friends to do them together ).

Those could all be in the orginal GW2 world. As far as the Jungle, I would like to see things like:

• Glider obstacle course (maneuvering through objectives/ruins while being chased by multiple Wyvern)
  • Dinosaur races (riding on the back of dinosaurs – but only in the event)
  • Single combat related adventures (spawning powerful bosses for 1v1 combat – VERY similar to Queen’s Gauntlet)
  • Finally, I would love to see them add 5 to 10-player adventures as well (organized keg brawl anyone?)

I really like the idea of adventures. Something I’ve always wanted is a way to participate in minigames without having to disappear from the rest of my guild. I can definitely see an “Olympics” style event for my guild in the future if these things work the way I think they will.

(edited by Blaeys.3102)

Adventures

Posted by: Siphaed.9235

Siphaed.9235

First, the obvious ones:

• Polymock
  • Bar Brawl
  • Archery Contest
  • Musical Bells (with the dynamic addition of new songs to play and master)

Archery Contest, sure.
Polymock, most definitely.

Musical Bells….I can say “meh” to this because the latest Wintersday provided nearly everyone with an unlimited Bell Toy as well as a near infinite amount of the limited use ones are on the AH.

But the Drunken Brawling? No. Please just no. We have our Drinking Bluff game and that’s as much as drinking games this game needs. The whole concept of Drunken Brawling, while sounding cool, belongs in a game much becoming that of Age of Conan instead of Guild Wars 2. It’s just not a good idea.

But yes, Polymock, so much yes that it hurts. Nobody cares that WoW introduced it’s Pokemon feature in Mists of Pandaria. It’s not the first. GW1 did it first with Polymock first. It wins. GW2 must have Polymock. Heart of Thorns is adding in so many more creatures and models that can be used in the Polymock arena. Besides I’m pretty sure that Asuran has been working on that gate for far too long, ……2.5 years to be exact! We already know that the Polymock arena is done because guilds and players jumped the cube (found a way to get outside of Rata Sum) in 2012 and found the completed arena [and filmed it too]. It’s a matter of making the mechanics work for the pet fights, which I’m sure shouldn’t be too big of a problem.

Adventures

Posted by: Invictus.1503

Invictus.1503

One word…Polymock!

It’s better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Adventures

Posted by: Dante.1763

Dante.1763

Im gonna agree, polymock please!

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

Adventures

Posted by: Manifibel.8420

Manifibel.8420

I would like to see Adventures where you go with some Whispers people from the remaning pact force to gather some information about your enemy useing stealth.
Use the mechanics from the LWs2 e7 where you play as Caith in stealth to get past the asura.
Track it by how fast you did it without getting noticed, and or a combo of time and how few enemys you had to slay because you where discovered.

This feature if we can call it that by itself have the oppotunity to bring to the game, almost traditionel quests in terms of what you do, and give ideas to new event types.

Another idea. A adventure that is based on Norn way of thinking. A norn want to challenge you to a contest of who can kill the most of an area swarming with Mordrem or something.

Dungeons being about how fast you clear then compared to being able to clear them makes me sad.

Adventures

Posted by: Apolus.3157

Apolus.3157

1 – Monster hunting witcher style!

You must first learn about the monster: What are its habits? Where does it live? What are its strenghts? What are its weaknesses?

Then you must prepare: What tools do I bring? What time should I strike? From where should I attack?

Then go there and score your kill, go back and sell the trophy.

2 – More puzzles, not the jumping ones, actual puzzles that we have to figure out how the ideas fit together to form the solution. After all we are in the deep jungle now, give us some Indiana Jones style adventures.

Adventures

Posted by: Diovid.9506

Diovid.9506

Some obvious ones are:

1. Defeat as many enemies as possible within the time limit.
2. See how many waves of enemies you can survive (which increase in difficulty each time).
3. Defeat all enemies in as little time as possible.

Adventures

Posted by: Tiborb.1453

Tiborb.1453

That’s should be called Trials, not Adventures. :/

[LOCK] The Closed Society – Seafarer’s Rest

Adventures

Posted by: TPMN.1483

TPMN.1483

Well I saw the preview on twitch – if challenging content is spamming 1 on a flamethrower this is not challenging (even if mobs are around – we just dodge). It’s no challenge learning when/where mobs spawn at what time periods.
I know they mentioned for a dense challenge – brain dead is what came to mind.
Dense can sometimes be interpreted as ‘thick’ or stupid – spamming 1 is. I’m sure it wasn’t meant to come across like that from the content designer.

We could have great fun adventures like:
Drive a dredge clown cart – score how far you get before dying to the underground roots of the tree
Fly a pact helicopter through lots of air/aoe from mordemoth with some defenses/offensive stuff – flying around getting buffs, repair kits etc.
(Bit like sanctum sprint but in choppers with enemies and stuff).

But hey all that is similar to mario cart or other classics such as air wolf (1980s anyone ?)

Alternatively look at GW1 – House Zu Heltzer was challenging content for a good team – kill stuff, get buffs , kill stuff …Those faction areas had 2 good team challenges if I remember rightly.

Hey you could even add some mastery points for challenges for dungeon runners – eg SE P1 in < 8 mins, COE P1<15 mins, CM P1<10 mins etc etc. From what I’ve seen of pug runs they need a boost to improve there game. But not sure this is the kind of adventure you’re looking for.

[MYTH] The Mythical Dragons -PvX http://mythdragons.enjin.com

Adventures

Marcus Greythorne.6843

it’s probably like Guild Missions, some are more challenging, some not so much. All of them become a challenge when you try to beat your friend’s highscores.

Having to do jumping puzzles in a certain time certainly sounds challenging enough to me. When I think of an adventure at skipping stones, I’m gonna have a hard time.

(edited by Marcus Greythorne.6843)

Adventures

Posted by: ZeftheWicked.3076

ZeftheWicked.3076

When you say adventures i imagine….an adventure.

What is should be like in my opinion is a mix of real adventure and challenge.
Firstly you do the challenge to see if you’re ready for the adventure ahead. For example jumping puzzle on a timer, holding off waves of mobs for a while, or healing and protecting npcs at a given path.

Once you’ve proven yourself worthy the adventure part begins. For example the jumping puzzle adventure would end up in a hard to reach spot high in the canopy. But not hard enough for that furious mordrem champion that just noticed you barging in on his turf as result of the “challenge” part.

Now he’s chasing you down and it’s your job to run from him past an even harder jumping section filled with environmental traps, and vined death breathing down your neck.

If you succeed at the very end you jump for your life to safety, while the “ground” under champ gives in and he falls to his demise. As you pick yourself up after the hair raising experience, you also pick up an achievement, your time recorded (and if good on leader boards) and perhabs a title, based on your performance (top runners get additional titles).

Also you could even put up some unique skins as rewards for doing adventures. If you pass certain hard, but not impossible task (clear the jumping terror adventure in under 5 mins) you get access to piece of equipment themed after the boss, or themed with wings (praise for the jumping), something like that.

You could have also adventures be semi-tied with outpost system. For example puzzle jumpers could do an adventure that ends up in a sweet spot for defending nearby outpost.

The flamethrower adventure could result in npc deeming us worthy to take one out of his precious stock of few flamethrowers, to deal some massive damage to those vines attacing outpost on the inside.

Of course given instanced nature of adventures, vs open world nature of outposts some limits would have to be put on (so suddenly 300 ppl don’t get 1hko flamethrowers vs mordrem, because each did their adventure right). This part is ofc my suggestion ankitten ot saying is the best there is, but just sharing.

Adventures

Posted by: Rabe.2456

Rabe.2456

I want to see glider adventures that work like the missions in Pilot Wings! =D

Adventures

Posted by: Lurker.3609

Lurker.3609

I really hope that the map will keep track of whether you completed them at least once or not, just like renown hearts, after which the icon would change saying “you’ve played and completed this adventure”. It’s not like I would only like to do them once, but I really miss the old sense of map completion from the core GW2 maps, something you didn’t get in Southsun Cove, Dry Top or Silverwastes. I mean sure, there still are vistas and pois, but I want this mechanic back where when you hover mouse over the map name, it shows you how much of the map you’ve “completed”. In case of adventures it could also display your top score for each adventure when you hover your mouse over one on the map.

Adventures

Posted by: Kayji.4390

Kayji.4390

I’d really like it if adventures were story driven to be used as a tool to get us more familiar with both the major and minor lore of the GW2 universe. SO I would expect dialogue, and for the adventure to be a chain which takes you on an adventure around an area. Perhaps link them to dynamic events so they unlock when you succeed in an DE.
Example: Join Armas in hunting the jotun chieftain
The chest contains a clue to who the jotun were which leads us on an adventure around the area. The reward would be something jotun related.
So essentially, I would like to see adventures like mini personal stories where we record what we learnt about the world of tyria in our journal. There is so much lore and the GW2 universe is so deep but the personal story doesn’t even scratch it. I ended up reading up most of the lore on wiki and hearing it from woodenpotatoes. SO please make adventures a way for us to explore the lore of GW2 and not JUST make them challenges to be complete.

Adventures

Posted by: Lunarhound.7324

Lunarhound.7324

Based on the way they described adventures, I’m not especially excited about them. Having seen the footage of the flamethrower thing, I’m even less so. It just looks like the same kind of tedious thing you’d do for a heart event, but repeatable, and with a leaderboard. I hope doing these aren’t necessary in order to max out mastery points.

I do understand what they’re trying to accomplish here, but I agree with the people who’ve said that “adventure” is really the wrong term for it. If you want a repeatable minigame that’s worthy of the term, how about (as some have suggested) something with a glider? Maybe even divorce it from the normal glider mechanics, and make it a bit on the cinematic side, partially on rails, where we have to glide through a canyon, dodging obstacles, grabbing some sort of tokens for points, and choosing from a few branching paths? Something that’s actually a fun distraction WHILE you’re playing it. I don’t feel motivated to top my best scores or beat my friends’ scores in an activity where the actual mechanics of the minigame aren’t fun to begin with.

Here are a few more suggestions:

Something like a “Temple Run” clone, where you auto-flee from something while having to jump, slide under, and dodge around obstacles. There could be lots of variations on this (the glider example above is one). Slide down a mountainside, hang from a copter, hell, maybe even drive a charr car.

Puzzles. There are plenty of puzzle games with mechanics that allow boards and such to be randomized, like that old PopCap game, Alchemy.

A Scorched Earth-style trajectory game (for those who don’t remember Scorched Earth, think Worms).

Don’t get me wrong, I know that it’s unlikely ANYTHING like these will happen. Altering the mechanics, camera behavior, etc. to create real minigames like this would take considerably more work than just swapping in a temporary weapon or maybe altering the UI a little. But, likely or not, I’m just telling you what would get ME to find the idea of attempting to climb leaderboards in minigames fun. I can’t speak for other players, but I have a feeling that if they saw something like I’m describing, you’d have more people excited than with a time trial vine burning contest using existing mechanics. It wasn’t fun in hearts, and I doubt trying to make it competitive will do much to change that.

(edited by Lunarhound.7324)

Adventures

Posted by: DiogoSilva.7089

DiogoSilva.7089

I agree with this post!

When I think of the word “adventure”, I think of some sort of very elaborated quest. For example, structured content that tells a secondary story, makes you explore key locations, talk to NPCs, fight some bad guys, and ultimately get a nice reward at the end for all your effort. That feels like a real adventure, especially if gameplay is narratively structured, with an introduction, rising action, climax, etc.

So far, the examples given for adventures feel more like they should be called trials instead. They’re pretty much achievements, aren’t they? “Do this content you’ve been doing, but faster”. That’s a trial, not an adventure.

In my opinion, Anet should rename this system to trials, which is a shorter and catchier word to memorize, and then have a subset of more elaborated trials to be actually named “adventures”.

Example of a trial: Finish this jumping puzzle in 10 minutes.

Example of an adventure: Go to a town, investigate an issue with NPCs that will ultimately lead you to a mountain, get ambushed by bad guys, cross the mountain, do a small jumping puzzle, unveal the story’s mystery, fight a boss, get back to the town, receive a nice reward.

Of course, adventures can be shorter and less elaborated than that, as long as the experience feels, well, adventurous. Usually, it should involve exploration, because I can’t imagine how something can even be called an adventure with no exploration at all. Certainly, mini games and other stuff could be part of adventures, but are they, by themselves, adventures, or merely trials/ achievements/ (or as they are already called) mini-games?

EDIT: I do think the system itself is more interesting and elaborated than renown hearts (with the addition of leaderboards, repeatable content, anet’s goals to make it challenging), but I’m afraid the content design won’t stray too far from what hearts already offer, which might not be a bad thing if they’re merely “trials”, but might lead to some disapointment if they really are meant to be “adventures”. Hearts didn’t feel like adventures, nor will this one do if it plays similarly, regardless of the addition of replay value.

EDIT 2/ TL;DR The system is fine if it gets to be renamed to trials, because it creates the right set of expectations. However, it’ll need to offer more elaborate content if it is meant to live to the expectations set up by the word “adventure”.

(edited by DiogoSilva.7089)

Adventures

Posted by: Apolus.3157

Apolus.3157

+1 to that.

Adventures

Posted by: MasterOfMistakes.2089

MasterOfMistakes.2089

EDIT 2/ TL;DR The system is fine if it gets to be renamed to trials, because it creates the right set of expectations. However, it’ll need to offer more elaborate content if it is meant to live to the expectations set up by the word “adventure”.

My exact feelings with the system, “adventure” is to strong a word, “trial” makes much more sense.

Adventures

Posted by: unknowable.8470

unknowable.8470

+1 in agreement here. Trials/challenges/endeavors would be ideal titles.

Adventures just doesn’t sound right, even outside the pedantic range. I would rather Arenanet kept the adventure name open for future uses (guild adventures for instance, or daily quests/events that could be given at random from your faction)

Adventures

Posted by: Ayleid.9416

Ayleid.9416

Example of an adventure: Go to a town, investigate an issue with NPCs that will ultimately lead you to a mountain, get ambushed by bad guys, cross the mountain, do a small jumping puzzle, unveal the story’s mystery, fight a boss, get back to the town, receive a nice reward.

Totally agree, it would be great if adventures will be structured like quest chain

Adventures

Posted by: Diovid.9506

Diovid.9506

Thinking about it some more, I would kind of want adventures of different game genres. Mario kart-like adventures have already been mentioned (and already exist in the form of Sanctum Sprint), but what about things like Tower Defense, First Person Shooter, checkers/chess, Acromage (the card game found within the video game Might & Magic VII), Bejeweled, platformer (ala super mario) and so on? Just thinking out loud here.

Adventures

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

I’d like to see really challenging 1-player vs. Mob battles that aren’t about hitting the enemy for 20minutes but rather about good avoids (like the battles in Queens Gauntlet).

It should be an instanced gladiator arena in the open world (so that others can easily spectate) with invisible walls.

To take this a step further, you could fight against a variety of enemies, e.g. an enemy (rare spawn) you find in the open world.

• adventure starts: you have 20 minutes to find a worthy enemy in the zone
  • when you’ve found it and want to challenge it in a 1vs1 you mark the enemy with an environmental weapon
  • a npc-warband captures that enemy and prepares it to battle you in the arena
  • scoring:

the stronger the enemy – the more points you can achieve
the faster you kill him – the more points you get

That would only further exacerbate an already terrible meta of Zerker we don’t need more Zerker thanks…had plenty now.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Adventures

Posted by: saventis.1485

saventis.1485

hey dont get me wrong i never said i didnt like them thats just what the seem like to me,
re-playable hearts.
im really actually looking forward to seeing all the new things they add in

Adventures

Marcus Greythorne.6843

considering what we’ve seen so far I agree that “Trials” would be the more suitable name, especially when I think of the competitive nature – beating high-scores of your friends.

Adventures

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

I’d say if you want an “Adventure”, let’s milk that name for all we can.

First, it opens at a set point where it can begin from. For the sake of argument, let’s say it’s happening on a Pact survivor camp and needing to help them out. Everyone starts from this point, but maybe some Masteries can open different options once you have them. (Like, you have Combat Masteries present so you can opt to dig in and survive the night rather than make a run for shelter. Or you have some other Masteries which let you offer a different route to safety.)

Secondly, diverging paths. Not just like Dungeons do, but a series of branching choices which govern what happens. In this case, say you’re going to dig in and have X minutes to set up the defenses. You can go scavenge for turrets, or get scrap to set up barricades secure against the Mordrem. Or you can find other potential survivors to get more help and expand the options you have. Say you opt to make a run for it. Do you try to follow down into the root tunnels, or try to climb towards some canopy level walkways? Different dangers each direction, and different potential actions you can take. Maybe you actually can get lost because the area is actually a maze of paths and you need to make it to a defensible position when nightfall comes, rather than an exit?

Thirdly, give it some reason to be played more than one way (the easy way, or the loot-heavy way…). Set it up so completing a particular branch type (getting lost/successful rescue/defending dusk til dawn) will earn you a trophy which goes to a Collection, can be sold for some cash or whatever exchange you need in the area, and builds to something people would actually want.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Adventures

Posted by: Eirian Direstorm.9748

Eirian Direstorm.9748

If we can make suggestions, then I’d like to see an aspect of adventures such that somehow you could do them as a guild in order to earn things for the guild hall or earn influence generally. But it would be something that could work for small as well as large guilds.

Also, if there are different ways of doing adventures, I’d rather see the different ways unlock and be able to choose among them, rather than just being bumped up from one to the next.

Adventures

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

If I had to guess, ‘adventures’ are akin to those quests in certain zones that are chained events. To complete an ‘adventure’, you must complete a certain chain. But, as always, that’s pure speculation on my part.

Edit: I see a few others thought the same.

Gone to Reddit.

Adventures

Posted by: PariahX.6970

PariahX.6970

When I hear the word adventure all I can think of is Bilbo running out of Hobbiton yelling “I’m going on an adventure!” and nothing so far is sounding very hobbit adventure caliber yet so yeah trials might be a better term if it wasn’t for that awful stigma of DAoC Trials of Atlantis. icky Maybe what about peril or feat?

~Xylla~ [oG] on Ehmry Bay [PiXi]
Xyleia Luxuria / Sweet Little Agony / Morning Glory Wine / Precious Illusionz /
Near Fanstastica /Ocean at the End / Blue Eyed Hexe / Andro Queen / Indie Cindee . . .

Adventures

Tobias Trueflight.8350

When I hear the word adventure all I can think of is Bilbo running out of Hobbiton yelling “I’m going on an adventure!” and nothing so far is sounding very hobbit adventure caliber yet so yeah trials might be a better term if it wasn’t for that awful stigma of DAoC Trials of Atlantis. icky Maybe what about peril or feat?

Bear in mind, “adventure” is what he said but “trial and feat of willpower” is what he got.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Adventures

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

I’d like to see an adventure that is a huge slide, have us go down a long waterslide-style tube. Maybe Anet could just let the physics (gravity) do the work?

I’d love to see multiple tubes next to one another so we can all race. There should be an optimal path in the tube so that we go faster while on that path, but maybe the physics will do that by itself?

That’s my idea I hope you like it please +1, like and subscribe.

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

Adventures

Posted by: Dirame.8521

Dirame.8521

I think “Adventure” is a misleading name for the one they showed. “Activities” or “Challenges” would be a more apt name.

When I think of an adventure, I think of the personal story or the living story or just running around the world or doing a mini-dungeon or a jumping puzzle, now that’s an “Adventure” but doing “Activities” to beat scores? That’s not an adventure, that’s a Challenge or an Activity.

Misleading name in my opinion. Was expecting something more “journey-full”.

I make guides to builds you may not have heard of;
http://www.youtube.com/user/ceimash
http://www.twitch.tv/ceimash

Adventures

Posted by: Merus.9475

Merus.9475

Adventures using specific bundle weapons seems like an obvious start, or even a couple of bundle weapons that we have to juggle. An obstacle course using bundles we have to carry through might be interesting – a jumping puzzle built with the Experimental Rifle in mind. Having a pretty traditional event – clear through an enemy village – might be interesting as an adventure.

It seems like the criteria for an adventure should be that it should interesting to do the first time through – i.e. not a straight kill quest – but it also needs to be interesting to optimise, and something that players aren’t likely to be able to do perfectly. What players are trying to optimise might not be time – what about skill usages? Damage taken? Time spent visible to an enemy? Highest from start? (Oh man, an adventure where you start at a particular point and have to climb as high as possible as quickly as possible without going too far from the start point.)

But I kind of wanted to go on a different tack – there are some hearts in the core map that’d be better as adventures, like the Ash Legion stealth training in Blazeridge Steppes, and some where there are a few events but if the event isn’t running, the heart is very tedious to perform. I’d hope, with this expansion, you take a look at existing hearts.

Adventures

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

Give us a bundle gun and we have to shoot things over a wall by bouncing on mushrooms?

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

Adventures

Posted by: Tiny Doom.4380

Tiny Doom.4380

Please have plenty of adventures that don’t use a timer. The odd race against the clock now and again is fine but it’s a mechanic that gets very old very fast. Please don’t overuse it.

Also I agree with everyone above – “Adventures” is the wrong name for this content. Trials sounds like a good suggestion; or Tests.

Adventures

Posted by: TPenny.5071

TPenny.5071

Group puzzle adventures:

Work together to achieve a goal that would otherwise be imposable alone. e.g: P1 lets P2 through Door1, P2 once on the other side Lets P1 through Door2.

Zelda Example: (Couples mask questline)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Dbg0hIBYxg#t=262

Complex order and arrangement adventures:

Figure out what order to do each task in, e.g: Mixing Hylek potions with the correct ingredients, the intricate constructing of golems, or controlling an entire windmill to grind hops for special magic Norn ale!

Runescape Example: (elemental workshop series)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7R3sYiEDJQ#t=411

Adventures

Tobias Trueflight.8350

. . . heck if you really want a “challenging content” adventure? Model it after storming Castle Ravenloft.

Adventures

Posted by: Seth Moonshadow.2710

Seth Moonshadow.2710

When I think of the word “adventure”, I think of some sort of very elaborated quest. For example, structured content that tells a secondary story, makes you explore key locations, talk to NPCs, fight some bad guys, and ultimately get a nice reward at the end for all your effort. That feels like a real adventure, especially if gameplay is narratively structured, with an introduction, rising action, climax, etc.

So far, the examples given for adventures feel more like they should be called trials instead. They’re pretty much achievements, aren’t they? “Do this content you’ve been doing, but faster”. That’s a trial, not an adventure.

Of course, adventures can be shorter and less elaborated than that, as long as the experience feels, well, adventurous. Usually, it should involve exploration, because I can’t imagine how something can even be called an adventure with no exploration at all. Certainly, mini games and other stuff could be part of adventures, but are they, by themselves, adventures, or merely trials/ achievements/ (or as they are already called) mini-games?

I can’t agree more! Very well put.
My two cents would also include that the original renown/hearts had it right. Why break a good thing? I was excited about the adventures feature and hoped they would be repeatable renown that was a little longer in duration, slightly harder or more complex. As we strive to keep this a community that works well it would be nice if they could also be done with groups.

Adventures should include at least three or more of the following:

• Rescue an npc
  • Battle small groups of foes and an elite (with a special tactic making the battle a little harder but not quite a champion, solo events right?)
  • Deffend/attack enemy camp
  • track down missing / lost item
  • Jumping Puzzle (not timed!)
  • Text decoding language use
  • Puzzle, something that one player can do. To unlock a door place stones in a particular order

Anything timed is not PvE based and is more of a mini-game than an adventure. I understand ArenaNet “wants us to try new challenges” or “step up” our game. PvE is not about that. PvE is help the locals, kill the bad guy, get loot, repeat. The bad guy should be challenging and able to be completed solo (according to the Adventures System) or as a group.

There are traditionalist (yes, like me) who have enjoyed Guild Wars 2 as THE BEST mmorpg to date. That is because it does PvE better than any other game (in my opinion). ArenaNet knows how to do Adventures! Slapping a timer on it is a cheap way to make it more challenging and call it adventurous.

| Dungeon Adventures | Blackgate | PvE | Lost Precipice | Gilded Hallow | Windswept Haven (soon)
http://www.dungeon-adventures.com

Adventures

Marcus Greythorne.6843

what you’re describing sounds like a typical traditional quest to me (something I kind of miss in GW2).

When I hear the term adventures I expect a small story with interesting characters.

Adventures

Posted by: Monika Mu Phi.4378

Monika Mu Phi.4378

What do I want to see in Adventures? I’ll risk being a bit selfish. I’m away from home 9+ hours a day for work, come home to reacquaint with my toddler, make/eat dinner, enjoy a little down time, get little one ready for bed, and then put myself to bed. I want an Adventure with attainable objectives that I can do in that time frame, sometimes one-handed while little one sits on my lap enjoying the Adventure with me, and easy to come back to with the many interruptions that come with being a parent. How many ArenaNet customers are parents? How many have already bought multiple accounts to include their kids whey they are old enough to play? (I’m guilty of that…)

I don’t want to compete with elitist players who try to push ArenaNet’s hand by making conveniently easy statements like “this game sucks” when they don’t always get their way, as well as statements like “if you can’t do it like I do, then leave”. I make great use of the block list whenever I see silly anti-game chat like that. My time is too precious to waste on their negativity.

Reasonable time frames. Don’t forget about us folks who aren’t into PvP and WvW, and don’t have hours to figure out all the invisible tricks to the jumping puzzles, multiple-step achievements, or watching the same long cut-scene over and over to finally accomplish one goal. If there are timed events, please make them tiered. That is, they can be accomplished in any amount of time, but faster times reap better rewards.

Please keep non-Uber folks in mind when you make the finishing touches on this expansion. I believe people enjoy an affordable game with beautiful music, amazing artwork, varied scenery, fun adventures, cool costumes, and desirable rewards; we enjoy chatting with new friends from around the globe, and watching the “I want it all and I want it right now” folks blissfully (and politely) passing us by, leaving us in their dust.

When I hear the word Adventure, I think of Dungeons & Dragons and Choose Your Own Adventure books, both of which I enjoyed as a youth. It’s teamwork and fantasy, not competition.

I trust ArenaNet to make this a fun expansion – they’ve done a great job so far.

Adventures

Marcus Greythorne.6843

@Monika: I really respect your opinion, but I can’t really disagree more. Gameplay which can be mastered one-handed while doing other things is not something I’m looking for in this game. It’s kind of insulting to players who want to play something that challenges them AND tells a great story.

Actually what I really disliked most in the POI-presentation was the total absence of danger. I hope it was just because of the show-floor advertising, but regenerating each hit in an instant while being attacked from a new enemy-type is just a joke. Why having a health-bar at all when stuff like this is reality.

With all respect, I think roundbased games would fit more to your playstyle Monica. Games which can be paused at any moment.