"And if you fail to fill these roles?"

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Valento.9852

Valento.9852

You’re going to have a bad time. But don’t worry, as we’re leaving you a repair anvil at the entrance. You know—to collect your tears on.

Source

Hahah love it. Do not tone down raids, please. Folks need to learn not all content is faceroll, and that GW2 engine can provide content that requires actual coordination and gameplay. I love how this latest blog post tells us we might consider grabbing our toughness equipment. Itemization is a core feature for many RPG players! Tweaking numbers, and compositions, etc. is like an exciting stuff truly RPG players love.

Kuddos to the raids team. After 3 years doing the same easy-pie content available to all the players, I’m so looking forward to try the new challenging content you built for those who seek something more!

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

Posted by: Avster.1935

Avster.1935

Haha yes! It might actually force players to play better.

But man oh man, I can see the tears coming xD

Evelyn Whitehawk | Exalted Legend | Demons’s Demise | I Transmuted My Legendary Medium Coat

Posted by: Syviren.7086

Syviren.7086

I laughed so hard at that! I can’t wait to try this!

Posted by: Random.4691

Random.4691

Wow, good on Anet for having a sense of humor.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

The whole “you’re gonna have a bad time” reminded me of this from South Park. I can’t wait for the challenges that raids will bring.

Posted by: Zalavaaris.5329

Zalavaaris.5329

Buh bye zerker raiding meta… you wont be missed xD

Posted by: TheLastNobody.8319

TheLastNobody.8319

Maybe now my dire rabid Condi necro will be more useful and actually wanted! . Ah who am I kidding….Us necros are never wanted .

A knight in shining armor is a man who never had his metal truly tested.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

You missed the enrage timer confirmation in the same blog post.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Kaiyanwan.8521

Kaiyanwan.8521

Yeah, can’t wait to see different professions getting pigeonholed into what people think is the best they can do. I love the smell of elitism in the morning.

And running around with countless different gear sets in my inventory, sounds like fun.

(edited by Kaiyanwan.8521)

Posted by: TheFantasticGman.9451

TheFantasticGman.9451

Yup…

RAID META INC

or you can say

Old & Busted: Dungeon Meta

New Hotness: Raid Meta

Some people just don’t understand no matter what there will always be a optimum setup (thus meta) to run for content.

Speaking from a PVE-only point of view…

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

Sounds like another great reason to avoid PUGs

Every class has a fully functional tank, DPS, and control build if you gear for it, but as of now we’re not incentivized to gear for anything other than DPS with a splash of the above.

Especially with the new elite specs, I look forward to smashing raids in with so-called “sub optimal” setups. It’s what I loved about GW1 elite instances and I suppose it’ll be just as fun to problem solve around weird group comps in GW2.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

Valento.9852

Yup…

RAID META INC

or you can say

Some people just don’t understand no matter what there will always be a optimum setup (thus meta) to run for content.

Oh, c’mon dude… at least they get to design monsters which takes half damage from critical and 100%+ damage from conditions. Or both? Or under certain criteria? Who knows!

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

Posted by: Nilkemia.8507

Nilkemia.8507

As long as they don’t force raids into the story itself like Arah was for the longest time.

At least I know to avoid these.

Valento.9852

As long as they don’t force raids into the story itself like Arah was for the longest time.

Hopefully this story isn’t part of the central one, like a side-story which is totally optional. I too don’t want people to be forced doing raids to know the story, just like the legendary armor, everything should be optional.

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

Zalavaaris.5329

Oh I didn’t miss that part. I like the fact zerker has its place and role to fill. But all the roles aren’t the same using the same gear. So the meta 100% zerker all the time mentality can die in a fire where raids are concerned.

Valento.9852

Oh I didn’t miss that part. I like the fact zerker has its place and role to fill. But all the roles aren’t the same using the same gear. So the meta 100% zerker all the time mentality can die in a fire where raids are concerned.

In a game like Guild Wars 2, the sky is the limit. They can reverse what enrages the bosses, instead of relying only on time. They can spice up requirements for sub-battles taking into account several factors related to stats and effective combat mechanics (healing, boon generation, amount of evades, distance, etc).

A raid does not HAVE to rely on most damage to be successfully interesting and compelling for diehard hardcore gamers. ANet knows better than this I’m sure.

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

(edited by Valento.9852)

Zalavaaris.5329

In a game like Guild Wars 2, the sky is the limit. They can reverse what enrages the bosses, instead of relying only on time. They can spice up requirements for sub-battles taking into account several factors related to stats and effective combat mechanics (healing, boon generation, amount of evades, distance, etc).

A raid does not HAVE to rely on most damage to be successfully interesting and compelling for diehard hardcore gamers. ANet knows better than this I’m sure.

For all of which I am extremely greatful

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

My problem with this is that whenever ANet makes ‘difficult content’ whatever mechanics are part of the fight are on top of an HP pool that takes three hours to burn through, attacks that one-shot bersker and nomads alike and mob spawns that you can only deal with by ignoring them. Okay I’m exaggerating, but honestly not by as much as I’d like to be.

Please ANet, for the love of all that is good please make the content predominately about the mechanics and NOT the stat system.

Posted by: DevilLordLaser.8619

DevilLordLaser.8619

Hell, for all we know a boss could enrage if you do too much DPS. Start hammering at it with ten Zerk Elementalists, and it flies into an actual rage and rex everybody. Have to try and keep your damage against it beneath an acceptable level, while also dealing with the adds/traps/whatevers protecting the unusually touchy boss.

Wouldn’t that be a kick in the pants for the Zerker Kings out there convinced that nothing but RAWRGHDEEPS is the way to play GW2?

Posted by: Apophis.2498

Apophis.2498

Hopefully this story isn’t part of the central one, like a side-story which is totally optional. I too don’t want people to be forced doing raids to know the story, just like the legendary armor, everything should be optional.

I need to find the article to post as a source, but I recall reading that the raids take place after the story.

PopeUrban.2578

Yeah, I remember it being said that the raids were an epic, but side story, kind of like the dungeons in vanilla (up to zhaitan anyway)

Like, their events are important and referenced by the main story, but not so crucial that missing those events leaves gaps that make it unintelligable.

Basically, think about doing the PS without doing any dungeons. You know DE had a falling out, then you lost touch with them, and then they were back together to fight zhaitan. It isn’t important to the overall story of you and the pact vs. zhaitan why they’re back together, but it is referenced by the main story.

Think of the main story an LS releases as the original series, and the raids as a spin off. Fills in some interesting plot information, but isn’t crucial to understanding or enjoying the main plot.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory

Posted by: heartless.6803

heartless.6803

It’s a fancy way of saying “Don’t expect 8 elementalists, a mesmer and a banner warrior to be a meta raid comp”

Though I’m pretty kitten sure speed clears will involve at least 5 elementalists.

Disclaimer: Under no circumstance should you take this seriously.

Zalavaaris.5329

I really hope the raids are a lot like wow raids in that the speed at which you clear it is not inportant but the important part is actually clearing it.

Valento.9852

I really hope the raids are a lot like wow raids in that the speed at which you clear it is not inportant but the important part is actually clearing it.

Why not both? I remembered Crash Bandicoot 3 for some reason. There were speed trials, and the better you did the higher your score would be, awarding a platinum relic. Oh the feelings…

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

PopeUrban.2578

Why not both? I remembered Crash Bandicoot 3 for some reason. There were speed trials, and the better you did the higher your score would be, awarding a platinum relic. Oh the feelings…

Sure, toss a leaderboard in there or something for speed runners. Heck, maybe even a LA plaque to commemorate world first clears.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Hell, for all we know a boss could enrage if you do too much DPS. Start hammering at it with ten Zerk Elementalists, and it flies into an actual rage and rex everybody. Have to try and keep your damage against it beneath an acceptable level, while also dealing with the adds/traps/whatevers protecting the unusually touchy boss.

Wouldn’t that be a kick in the pants for the Zerker Kings out there convinced that nothing but RAWRGHDEEPS is the way to play GW2?

Not quite related, but I did a fight design for a tabletop that pretty much did this. They AoE bombed the encounter, killed all the adds without ever finding out what they did, then realized they were debuffed severely and had to back out of the battle with their tails tucked.

A few of them may have been ticked.
/whistle o/’

More related, I suspect that the more defensive players may be assigned to holding points or securing objectives, while offensive players will handle murdering adds and doing boss damage.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

PopeUrban.2578

Not quite related, but I did a fight design for a tabletop that pretty much did this. They AoE bombed the encounter, killed all the adds without ever finding out what they did, then realized they were debuffed severely and had to back out of the battle with their tails tucked.

A few of them may have been ticked.
/whistle o/’

More related, I suspect that the more defensive players may be assigned to holding points or securing objectives, while offensive players will handle murdering adds and doing boss damage.

“inversion” phases would be a thing I wouldn’t be suprised to see either. Boss starts immune to white and adds invulnverable to conditions, then during the fight they swtich invulns, requiring the white and condi DPS to swap roles, with perhaps some mender-style mobs control has to keep off the boss to prevent him from healing or something.

TheFantasticGman.9451

Yup…

RAID META INC

or you can say

Oh, c’mon dude… at least they get to design monsters which takes half damage from critical and 100%+ damage from conditions. Or both? Or under certain criteria? Who knows!

Regardless whatever clears the content fastest and most efficiently will become meta. Whether it is Sinister or Zerker or Soldiers is irrelevant. Not to mention, all content will eventually be trivialized because we, most humans anyway, have the ability to learn and adapt. We will, as a player base, eventually come up with strategies to finish the content the fastest. It is futile to think it will happen any other way. Even with constant changes to the content we will still adapt our strategies and remaximize efficiency to complete content quickly. Some will do it for fun, some will do it for loot, but a good many of us will participate in the meta or a variation of it.

The good thing is there WILL NOT be a LFG tool for Raids. Personally, I’m building up my friends list with good fractal 50 players because those are the people that I expect to be able to learn and adapt quickly to raids.

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

The good thing is there WILL NOT be a LFG tool for Raids. Personally, I’m building up my friends list with good fractal 50 players because those are the people that I expect to be able to learn and adapt quickly to raids.

They said there isn’t an auto queue tool for raids. They have stated that you can LFG together a pug if you want but advise against it.

Essentially, no different from what we have now.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

Valento.9852

Yup…

RAID META INC

or you can say

Regardless whatever clears the content fastest and most efficiently will become meta. Whether it is Sinister or Zerker or Soldiers is irrelevant. Not to mention, all content will eventually be trivialized because we, most humans anyway, have the ability to learn and adapt. We will, as a player base, eventually come up with strategies to finish the content the fastest. It is futile to think it will happen any other way. Even with constant changes to the content we will still adapt our strategies and remaximize efficiency to complete content quickly. Some will do it for fun, some will do it for loot, but a good many of us will participate in the meta or a variation of it.

That’s perfectly normal, it would be weird if it wasn’t, but that doesn’t take the beauty of learning and enjoying the content without being too tightly “locked” into too simplistic setup composition. If anything, it should at least provide better showcase videos than people stacking in a corner, or onto the boss.

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

Posted by: myself.2143

myself.2143

“You’re going to have a bad time. But don’t worry, as we’re leaving you a repair anvil at the entrance. You know—to collect your tears on.”

You know who else talked like that about their PvE content? Carbine.

TheFantasticGman.9451

Yup…

RAID META INC

or you can say

That’s perfectly normal, it would be weird if it wasn’t, but that doesn’t take the beauty of learning and enjoying the content without being too tightly “locked” into too simplistic setup composition. If anything, it should at least provide better showcase videos than people stacking in a corner, or onto the boss.

No one is ever “locked” into a composition. People choose that. That’s rubbish to think that. I don’t find beauty in learning the content. I find the beauty in the loots. Different strokes for different folks. If I want my loot the fastest I’m going to optimize my parties. If I want to take my time and just lolly-gag around, I’m not going to care what the party composition is… then again, I’m not going to be doing raiding content either… But that’s the kicker. They’re spinning raids as play as you want… but it’s only play as you want to play the way those roles were designed to be played. It’ll be interesting to see how it plays out. Personally, I think it’s going to be like Fractal 50s are now and will eventually done with everyone in the highest dps builds possible with the absolutely least possible control/support. Why? Enrage and there’s healthpools.

Posted by: Eponet.4829

Eponet.4829

Incoming Celestial raiding meta, at least among people who don’t have enough gold to make multiple sets.

It’s a fancy way of saying “Don’t expect 8 elementalists, a mesmer and a banner warrior to be a meta raid comp”

Though I’m pretty kitten sure speed clears will involve at least 5 elementalists.

But that group has near 100% reflect uptime from the mesmer, a ton of condition removal from 8 elementalists, as well as potentially the warrior if they’re not forced to run shield and stances and can go warhorn/shouts with the trooper rune, solid blind spam from the mesmer via shatters if they don’t need to use the phantasmal warden often as well as the elementalists potentially taking glyph of storms and using it in earth attunement, a ton of AoE damage from elementalists, significant healing with 8 elementalists a potential shout warrior and potentially a chronomancer (Try going inspirations/dueling/chronomancy and aiming for clone generation+shattering next beta weekend, I tried it last time, and it heals amazingly well), a ton of CC in elementalist air and earth attunements mesmer skills in general and potentially a hammer warrior, and have you tried spiking down a bunker warrior with three invulnerability stances a low cooldown block through the shield, the highest base health pool, and the heaviest armor class!

What more do they need?

(edited by Eponet.4829)

Zalavaaris.5329

Sure, toss a leaderboard in there or something for speed runners. Heck, maybe even a LA plaque to commemorate world first clears.

Oh yea I’m all for a race for the kill sort of race. What I don’t want is hey we did the raid in 15 minutes kind of thing. I want a “we got the world’s top 50th kill on a specific boss” kind of race.

Posted by: Lyger.5429

Lyger.5429

I’ll never understand people’s hatred of zerker in this game when you can literally play & complete current content in any gear. I hear things like “playing brainless zerker all the time”. However zerker requires more awareness than face tanking in nomads gear…

Posted by: tobascodagama.2961

tobascodagama.2961

“You’re going to have a bad time. But don’t worry, as we’re leaving you a repair anvil at the entrance. You know—to collect your tears on.”

^^^^^

I wonder how Carbine’s devs feel looking over at GW2 now with all this h4rdc0r3 nonsense over at the ANet offices. Always hard to see somebody else repeat your own mistakes.

Amberley Avalen – Charr Mesmer
Tanya Larina – Human Thief
Finchy Whyte – Sylvari Ranger

PopeUrban.2578

^^^^^

I wonder how Carbine’s devs feel looking over at GW2 now with all this h4rdc0r3 nonsense over at the ANet offices. Always hard to see somebody else repeat your own mistakes.

The difference is that GW2 isn’t relying on raiding to be the primary content of the game. It’s optional, supplemental content in a game that has many more hours of open world content per pound, per release.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

While that might be entertaining, “… enrage if you take too long to kill …” is pretty unequivocal. So, more might stacking, with the possible change of taking the minimum in non-glass gear setups to clear whatever other reqs the raid has (if any). Not hopeful so far for this content; hope others enjoy it.

Posted by: Serephen.3420

Serephen.3420

You missed the “some encounters may even require a member of your group to dust off that toughness gear to bulk up and tank some heavy hits to protect the condition-build players in the back” in the same blog post.

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

welcoming bunker condi meta ?

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

The only MMO I’ve seen butcher itself with a single word during a promo reel:

“Hardcore.”

Game population IMPLODED when players realized if you weren’t a raider you weren’t even a 3rd class citizen. You were barely an afterthought as they realized they’d run 90%+ of their initially playerbase out of the game.

Hell, I AM a raider and I still found the other 6 days of the week tedious and unproductive outside of raid night. Because it was.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Posted by: kolompi.1287

kolompi.1287

Well, good to see that Arenanet stopped pretending to be innovative about MMOs and openly admits to make just another run-of-the-mill game.

I’ll do raids of course, but too bad that they gave up on their vaunted pushing the limits attitude.

Substance E.4852

Well, good to see that Arenanet stopped pretending to be innovative about MMOs and openly admits to make just another run-of-the-mill game.

I’ll do raids of course, but too bad that they gave up on their vaunted pushing the limits attitude.

“Push the limits” or “play how you want”

Pick one because you don’t get both in a cooperative game.

Substance E.4852

The only MMO I’ve seen butcher itself with a single word during a promo reel:

“Hardcore.”

Game population IMPLODED when players realized if you weren’t a raider you weren’t even a 3rd class citizen. You were barely an afterthought as they realized they’d run 90%+ of their initially playerbase out of the game.

Hell, I AM a raider and I still found the other 6 days of the week tedious and unproductive outside of raid night. Because it was.

See that isn’t actually a ticket to a bad game on it’s own. EvE Online is entirely focused on hardcore open world pvp content with emphasis on both combat and economic pvp. People who just want to lazily run missions or mine asteroids in high sec space are absolutely a second thought. Virtually everything is focused on hardcore players. A whole multitude activities is essentially locked off to you if you shun hard content.

The game has been going for 10 years now.

A bad design is what makes a bad game.

Putting some emphasis on very hard instance content isn’t what’s going to kill GW2.
What is going to kill it is continuing to shovel out easy mode after easy mode designed to appease the lowest common denominator until so many have left out of boredom or a realization that the game’s going nowhere that they gem store simply can’t keep the game profitable.

(edited by Substance E.4852)

Posted by: Azure.8670

Azure.8670

Maybe now my dire rabid Condi necro will be more useful and actually wanted! . Ah who am I kidding….Us necros are never wanted .

Sure they are, but necros can barely condi

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

“Push the limits” or “play how you want”

Pick one because you don’t get both in a cooperative game.

Nah, you totally can. Remember, it was the devs that were to push the limits of the game, so that players would be able to play how they want. Both those statements were to be true, just applying to different groups of people.
Now they seem to give up on both.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Killyox.3950

Killyox.3950

I bet that 90% of people who wanted hard content will QQ if difficulty exceeds their skill and they blame it on million different things but not themselves.

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

I am going to enjoy watching the whining scene shift from “evil ppl demand zerker of me, it´s play how I want!” to “evil ppl demand xx of me”.

Posted by: DavidGX.7240

DavidGX.7240

I certainly hope they don’t dumb down the challenge when the whining starts.

And it WILL start.

“Those who go mad are merely thoughtful souls who failed to reach any conclusions.”

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

Wildstar had 40 person raids, no leveling content, AMD cards literally couldn’t play the game, crafting didn’t work at all, dungeons disbanded your team after a single person died, and a sub fee.

In the end it went F2P and is now doing well… guess what other MMO is now F2P… GW2

Also the devs have stated they are clearing the raids internally, so they won’t be that hard. The devs are not exactly top notch players.