Anet, HoT = Free world transfer?

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Brother Dulfite.5793

Brother Dulfite.5793

Q:

I put this up recently as a curiosity, but now I’m heavily considering transferring worlds unless Anet plans to allow us free world transfers or makes wvw go to mega servers like the pve people have.

I don’t want to have to buy 1800 gems (really 2,400 due to limited options) or $30 worth of gems to transfer if they are going to allow us free ones in the future. I’d be ticked if that happened and I lost that money.

Posted by: Random.4691

Random.4691

TBH, free transfers won’t solve anything unless they did 1 of 2 things.

Either open free transfers to the Bottom 2-3 servers only.
or
Forced free transfers off the bottom 3 servers and then shut them down.

Anything else will just be people swapping between servers that aren’t in need of transfers.

Brother Dulfite.5793

TBH, free transfers won’t solve anything unless they did 1 of 2 things.

Either open free transfers to the Bottom 2-3 servers only.
or
Forced free transfers off the bottom 3 servers and then shut them down.

Anything else will just be people swapping between servers that aren’t in need of transfers.

I may have a large guild that may want to trasnfer to a low pop server in order to all be together and be able to have an impact on wvw without worrying about zerg force…

Brother Dulfite.5793

I’d really like it if an Anet employee would comment on this… I don’t want to waste my money…

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

They’ve given no hint of any intention to give free transfers though. Or at least none that I have seen.

Posted by: Joseph.9853

Joseph.9853

They’ve given no hint of any intention to give free transfers though. Or at least none that I have seen.

I will second this; have saw none. Some guildies have wondered if guild halls would be server-based like how guilds were at the beginning. I’d assume they’d be megaservered, but no detail has really been given/hinted.

Lanthun – [WISE] Wizened Wizards (Founder/Leader)

Posted by: Nate.3927

Nate.3927

i think it’s safe to assume that guild halls will be megaserver. I mean there is no point whatsoever in making them server based

Brother Dulfite.5793

i think it’s safe to assume that guild halls will be megaserver. I mean there is no point whatsoever in making them server based

Yes but one of the primary enjoyments of the guild hall would be claiming and organizing for WvW, which would be impossible for a guild that had members scattered that can’t transfer (due to server pop being full or the 1800 gem price being too expensive).

Posted by: UnitedChaos.8364

UnitedChaos.8364

The point of servers is so there are teams. Making wvw a megaserver makes servers pointless. You’re supposed to join a server you want to support and fight for.

There was a bug a couple weeks back where everyone in wvw was made allies and no one could fight. I think that’s what you’re hoping for wvw to become. Spoiler: it’s not.

Add “United Chi” to your friends list or guild!

Brother Dulfite.5793

The point of servers is so there are teams. Making wvw a megaserver makes servers pointless. You’re supposed to join a server you want to support and fight for.

There was a bug a couple weeks back where everyone in wvw was made allies and no one could fight. I think that’s what you’re hoping for wvw to become. Spoiler: it’s not.

False, that is not what I am hoping wvw to become. On the contrary, the greatest thing of this kind were alliances in guild wars 1 because you had your entire guild fighting for that alliance. Currently, in WvW, you have guilds that have 50% or more of their members fighting for 1 specific world, not 100% (except for maybe a few exceptions).

I simply want an opportunity for me and the other members in the guild I’m in that aren’t a part of the server the rest of the guild is on (40% of us are scattered) to be able to play together, fighting for the same server, as the rest of the guild. I want it easy to have 100% of the guild fighting for the same world without having to kick longtime friends simply because they aren’t on that server. And I want it to be able to be done without causing 40% of members (out of 490, that is 196 players, roughly) to have to pay $20 a piece ($3,920), or really $30 a piece ($5,700) considering you have to buy 2,400 gems (you can’t just buy 1,800 gems). That’s garbage. How can a guild raise those kinds of funds to transfer people?

We should have to leave so many members behind due to expensiveness of transfers. As BAD as wvw is on the lower servers, you’d think Anet would be offering free transfers to them at this point.

Brother Dulfite.5793

Still waiting for some anet employee to respond to this…

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

One day they probably will drop the concept of players being tied to servers for WvW. Instead for example, tie it to guilds. At the start of the WvW season, everyone is reset. Upon entering WvW, you’re asked which guild you’d like to represent for the season (defaulted to your own home server). Instead of representing your own home server, you represent your selected guild’s server.

Another method would be team signups at the start of the season. Basically, imagine launch day (all servers are reset – first come first serve), but for teams/factions instead of servers.

As for a free transfer with HoT, there won’t be any. It would have already been announced as a feature if they were going to do that. You’ll have to wait for the next WvW tournament, which will likely take place a few months after HoT when activity dies down.

Brother Dulfite.5793

One day they probably will drop the concept of players being tied to servers for WvW. Instead for example, tie it to guilds. At the start of the WvW season, everyone is reset. Upon entering WvW, you’re asked which guild you’d like to represent for the season (defaulted to your own home server). Instead of representing your own home server, you represent your selected guild’s server.

Another method would be team signups at the start of the season. Basically, imagine launch day (all servers are reset – first come first serve), but for teams/factions instead of servers.

As for a free transfer with HoT, there won’t be any. It would have already been announced as a feature if they were going to do that. You’ll have to wait for the next WvW tournament, which will likely take place a few months after HoT when activity dies down.

I agree with you, but I can’t be 100% and i don’t want to pay for something that, in a month, is announced to be free, know what I mean? I just wish anet would come on here and comment, even if it is to say servers will always be around and will always cost money, then I could at least have peace of mind.

Posted by: thewaterguy.4796

thewaterguy.4796

Nothing has been confirmed or even vaguely mentioned by arena-net, though it would be nice… That said WvW will still be unenjoyable as long as the whole “server vs server” thing is still in place, I’ll play it once in awhile but as far as actually going “hardcore wvw” I just don’t see the point. I can only see this problem becoming worse with the new WvW maps and guild halls coming into the game since, well as you said, most guilds have some or most of their members spread out across multiple different servers, making WvW with your guild not really something that is possible

Posted by: starlinvf.1358

starlinvf.1358

Still waiting for some anet employee to respond to this…

Its going to be a long wait, young snowflake.

Perhaps you will find a better answer with a better question.

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

Yes but one of the primary enjoyments of the guild hall would be claiming and organizing for WvW, which would be impossible for a guild that had members scattered that can’t transfer (due to server pop being full or the 1800 gem price being too expensive).

And of the Guild Halls weren’t megaserver, that would still pose a problem.

Your apparent desire for Guild Halls to use a system that ANet has retired except for the obvious location of WvW would only create issues for more guilds than it would solve. The PvE guilds, the PvP guilds, the general guilds that do a little of everything. All of those would be hurt by the decision to make guild halls server specific.

If a WvW guild has issues with members that can’t transfer spying and telling guilds on another server where your guild is going, then kick the spies. Otherwise there is no issue with megaserver guild halls.

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

And if they had free transfers everyone would just transfer to a tier one server, I really hope ANet doesn’t allow for free world transfers.

Posted by: Zalladi.4652

Zalladi.4652

Transfers are already free.

Yes it is 1,800 gems, but that can be earned by transferring gold to gems, costing you nothing but the electric bill for playing the game. They only cost real world money if you choose to make them cost that, it is entirely optional. Similarly, there is no indication that there will be fully free world transfers in the future, aside from those on higher populated servers to move to lower populated servers preceding a WvW tournament.

So set yourself a new goal and start saving your gold.

Posted by: ikereid.4637

ikereid.4637

What anet needs to do to ‘fix’ WvW is combine Green, Red, and Blue servers based on Tier to fill WvW out more. Just like EoTM, but instead Tier based.

I stopped playing WvW on my BL cause there just isnt enough ppl to compete in Blob wars. Instead Ill run EoTM now, which is almost as rewarding and at the same time less stressful. This is the direction WvW needs to take.

Desktop: 4790k@4.6ghz-1.25v, AMD 295×2, 32GB 1866CL10 RAM, 850Evo 500GB SSD
Laptop: M6600 – 2720QM, AMD HD6970M, 32GB 1600CL9 RAM, Arc100 480GB SSD

Brother Dulfite.5793

And of the Guild Halls weren’t megaserver, that would still pose a problem.

Your apparent desire for Guild Halls to use a system that ANet has retired except for the obvious location of WvW would only create issues for more guilds than it would solve. The PvE guilds, the PvP guilds, the general guilds that do a little of everything. All of those would be hurt by the decision to make guild halls server specific.

If a WvW guild has issues with members that can’t transfer spying and telling guilds on another server where your guild is going, then kick the spies. Otherwise there is no issue with megaserver guild halls.

I don’t want Guild halls to be server specific. Members from any world should be able to go to their guilds guild hall. I just want the option to play with your guild mates in wvw for free to be a thing. There are thousands/hundreds of thousands (out of the millions that own the game, maybe more) of players that are impacted by being in a guild that they aren’t on the same server with and can’t enjoy wvw with. That stinks and should be fixed. This should have no impact on pve players as anyone in the guild should be able to go to the guild hall.

Posted by: PlatinumMember.5274

PlatinumMember.5274

What anet needs to do to ‘fix’ WvW is combine Green, Red, and Blue servers based on Tier to fill WvW out more. Just like EoTM, but instead Tier based.

I stopped playing WvW on my BL cause there just isnt enough ppl to compete in Blob wars. Instead Ill run EoTM now, which is almost as rewarding and at the same time less stressful. This is the direction WvW needs to take.

They are not going to do it, a lot of people here tend to have the memory of a 2 year old child, but when EoTM first came out a lot of people asked for WvW to behave similarly but with a more limited maps. The response from the community was “NO, we do not want that, we want to keep our communities”, communities will be destroyed.

So Arena net in their infinite wisdom decided to not proceed just because a few people cared about their so called “communities”. If arena net had any sense they would make it a red vs blue vs green, but allow people to select which map to spawn in.

Eternal battle ground 1 and 2

Red 1
red2
red3

blue 1
blue 2
blue 2

green 1
green 2
green 3.

Tl;DR

blame the dummies in the WvW forum who preferred keeping their communities vs having a functional game mode.

Brother Dulfite.5793

And if they had free transfers everyone would just transfer to a tier one server, I really hope ANet doesn’t allow for free world transfers.

I disagree. I’m in a guild (480-500 typical base) that would LOVE to be on a Tier 2 or lower server. Here are some of the benefits:

1) Don’t have to wait in queues.
2) Don’t have to worry about zerg fests and getting shouted at to leave the map if you’re not zerging.
3) When you capture stuff, it actually MEANS something (where as on T1 servers it will simply be flipped again in 5 minutes).
4) You’re guild, even if it’s small, would actually contribute and gain notierity amongst your world. You could run the show without worrying about massive guilds like Kill or WvW from JQ (no offense to those guilds, btw, as they are a lot of fun from what I’ve seen!).
5) Some people (if not many) ENJOY the challenge of building up something that starts out weak. I’d love to be apart of being a lower tier guild and building it up to fight with the big dogs some day.

Brother Dulfite.5793

Yes it is 1,800 gems, but that can be earned by transferring gold to gems, costing you nothing but the electric bill for playing the game. They only cost real world money if you choose to make them cost that, it is entirely optional. Similarly, there is no indication that there will be fully free world transfers in the future, aside from those on higher populated servers to move to lower populated servers preceding a WvW tournament.

I’ve talked with other players that have played this game since beta gw2 off and on (myself included) and I’ve never had more than 240g in my bank at one time. I’ve certainly never had more than 500 to 600g collectively over the past few years. I’m not a high school kid that can farm silverwastes 12 runs a day (I have to work and I like to enjoy things in real life, such as spending time with my wife). The only people that could afford the time to farm gold like that are younger people or people that prioritize games (as an adult) more than real life (neither of which am I).

I like to enjoy games, not obsess over them (I did that in high school and never again). I shouldn’t have to stress myself farming gold like a mad man in order to transfer. It is most certainly NOT free for most of us.

Brother Dulfite.5793

I’d prefer LESS blob wars. They are fun from time to time, but capturing things is meaningless when 5 minutes later a blob from another guild comes in and takes it right back, only for the 3rd server to do the same 5 minutes later…

I’d like the population spread out more evenly.

ikereid.4637

I’d prefer LESS blob wars. They are fun from time to time, but capturing things is meaningless when 5 minutes later a blob from another guild comes in and takes it right back, only for the 3rd server to do the same 5 minutes later…

Problem with blob wars, is it works. People generally take the path of least resistance. So there is no combating blob wars unless we put a limit on how many players from X team can get credit for Y capture…ect.

Personally I think WvW is broken and has been since the start of the game. And community? What community? You have 1-3 commanders that think they ‘own’ the BL map(s) and if you dont wanna play along with them your just a troll working against the ‘great blob’. there is no community, never has been.

Zalladi.4652

I’ve talked with other players that have played this game since beta gw2 off and on (myself included) and I’ve never had more than 240g in my bank at one time. I’ve certainly never had more than 500 to 600g collectively over the past few years. I’m not a high school kid that can farm silverwastes 12 runs a day (I have to work and I like to enjoy things in real life, such as spending time with my wife). The only people that could afford the time to farm gold like that are younger people or people that prioritize games (as an adult) more than real life (neither of which am I).

I never said anything about having to farm the gold, just play as you usually do and save. Eventually, you will have the amount you need to transfer into gems.

In your case, I recommend a very easy method through crafting; every day, log in for 5 minutes to make a ‘spool of silk weaving thread’, and turn each one into a ‘bolt of damask’. After you have three of them, make a ‘zojjas berserker insignia’ and sell it for ~55-60 gold.

You will likely have to buy some silk materials to start you off, but once you get started, you will make an income on average of about 30 gold per inscription from this method.

Easy gold, quick gold, no farm.

Edit: Confused insignia with inscription.

(edited by Zalladi.4652)

Brother Dulfite.5793

Problem with blob wars, is it works. People generally take the path of least resistance. So there is no combating blob wars unless we put a limit on how many players from X team can get credit for Y capture…ect.

Personally I think WvW is broken and has been since the start of the game. And community? What community? You have 1-3 commanders that think they ‘own’ the BL map(s) and if you dont wanna play along with them your just a troll working against the ‘great blob’. there is no community, never has been.

I agree with this, particularly your second point. One thing that made alliances great in gw1 was that there were a LOT of them and they were all fighting amongst themselves to own cities and, even inside the alliances, individual guilds would have a lot of say, and inside those officers and guild leaders had to be in constant communication.

I really wish they came out with a new system to get rid of the power mad commanders that run the show now days.

Brother Dulfite.5793

I never said anything about having to farm the gold, just play as you usually do and save. Eventually, you will have the amount you need to transfer into gems.

In your case, I recommend a very easy method through crafting; every day, log in for 5 minutes to make a ‘spool of silk weaving thread’, and turn each one into a ‘bolt of damask’. After you have three of them, make a ‘zojjas berserker inscription’ and sell it for ~55-60 gold.

You will likely have to buy some silk materials to start you off, but once you get started, you will make an income on average of about 30 gold per inscription from this method.

my main professions is armorsmith and I have a tailor close to 400

Zalladi.4652

If you like, you can do a similar crafting method then with ‘zojjas berserker inscription’ which is worth a little less at ~40 gold and is more costly to make, but doesn’t yield nearly as much as the insignia.

Edit: Confused inscription with insignia.

(edited by Zalladi.4652)

Posted by: ekarat.1085

ekarat.1085

In your case, I recommend a very easy method through crafting; every day, log in for 5 minutes to make a ‘spool of silk weaving thread’, and turn each one into a ‘bolt of damask’. After you have three of them, make a ‘zojjas berserker inscription’ and sell it for ~55-60 gold.

• Bolts of Damask make Insignia, not Inscriptions.
  • Inscriptions require Deldrimor Steel Plated Dowels.
  • It is (often — it depends) cheaper to buy those dowels than craft them.
  • Neither Inscriptions nor Insignia have a profit of 30 gold each. It’s more like 3-6, and sometimes not even that much. (Caveat: It varies a bit and depends on factors I’m not going into here.)
  • Each of them takes globs of dark matter, which someone may or may not have an excess of.

TL;DR: I think you are confusing Insignia with Inscriptions. You are taking the sale price of an inscription and subtracting the crafting cost of an insignia. You can’t do that.

(edited by ekarat.1085)

Posted by: Misguided.5139

Misguided.5139

Unless they plan to add new servers or there are changes to guilds coming that they haven’t talked about, I don’t see why there’d be any expectation of free transfers tied to HoT.

Zalladi.4652

TL;DR: I think you are confusing Insignia with Inscriptions. You are taking the sale price of an inscription and subtracting the crafting cost of an insignia. You can’t do that.

Ah yes, that post was supposed to be on crafting the ‘zojja berserker insignia’ rather than inscription. My mistake, editing the former post now.

Brother Dulfite.5793

If you like, you can do a similar crafting method then with ‘zojjas berserker inscription’ which is worth a little less at ~40 gold and is more costly to make, but doesn’t yield nearly as much as the insignia.

Edit: Confused inscription with insignia.

Thanks for the suggestion! I’m looking into it

ikereid.4637

Or..you can craft the cheapest stat based ascended armor, buy the exotic insignia and do the mystic forge combine to reduce the cost that way too :-)

that is what I am doing. and I have saved 120g so far.

Posted by: xarallei.4279

xarallei.4279

No. At least they should never allow free transfers to t1. I think free transfers in general is a terrible idea. We had that when the game launched and it was horrible for WvW. We were begging them to end the free transfers it was so bad.

Posted by: Doam.8305

Doam.8305

Free Transfers are a must I come from a small server and down that low things are not balanced at all. Then come events like this that gives an incentive and it’s like we don’t even exist in WvW.

The smallest servers should be removed and free transfers given to those people affected. As a low pop server works until events like this or a tourney.

Either that or discounts because no one honestly believes that all the servers are currently high population. They should be honest and have different pricing depending to and where a person is heading. A higher going into a lower should be discounted and the lowest pop should be removed completely and those people given free transfers or given a discount as well to enter a world that actually has WvW activity.