Are you going to buy HoT?

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: DemiValice.4830

DemiValice.4830

Arena Net’s gonna surprise all you guys with something like WildStar’s Play and pay system…trust me Anet wants all you guys to play this expansion

Posted by: shadowhaven.2361

shadowhaven.2361

Yes, I’m so excited for HOT. Guild Halls, Gliders, Specializations. Why not buy it? It sounds great!

Karra Gearforge – Charr Engineer (Main)
Other characters: Guardian, Mesmer, Ranger, Warrior

Posted by: Tru Reptile.6058

Tru Reptile.6058

From what I’ve seen so far I’d have to say no. They didn’t give enough information, and what information they did give was pretty vague.

Maguuma Jungle- looks like a cool place to explore, especially with the 3 biomes.

New PvP mode- don’t care

New WvW stuff- don’t care

Guild Halls- don’t care

Mastery- Sounds a bit gimmicky to me. Might be cool. Are some of these masteries available outside of the new areas?

Specialization- sounds awesome, but raises more questions and concerns; How many Specializations for each profession? How many weapons are available for each Specialization? Will there be new skills and traits added outside of Specializations?

Revenant- Also sounds cool, but no demonstration of skills or much info.

I had rather low expectations before the Pax event, and can’t help but feel rather ‘Meh’ after it was over. The reactions from the crowd seem a bit weird, like they were either half asleep or didn’t seem too excited as I thought they’d be. It’s kinda surprising that the biggest reaction came when they announced Guild Halls instead of the new profession and specializations…

(edited by Tru Reptile.6058)

Posted by: chris.6583

chris.6583

yes, may be not at the same release day, but yes eventually

Posted by: Alexgoll.6378

Alexgoll.6378

No. Dont see any reason to buy this Expansion.
Such content as Anet offer in it:
1. Not interesting
2. Not really mean “Expansion”

Posted by: voidwater.2064

voidwater.2064

Yes, definitely.

Posted by: Idris.9351

Idris.9351

i’ve been playing gw games since the GW1 beta- so basically yeah i’m going to buy everything they ever put out. even if it’s not flawless, it’s habit now

Posted by: Brtiva.9721

Brtiva.9721

You know the people here posting on the forums are going to buy it regardless of what they say. Its a extension of the game. They’re going to buy it play it, depending on the player either be satisfied and want more, or be unsatisfied complain about it on the forums and just not pick it up until something major comes up again.

I know I’m going to pre-order as soon as I have the funds and when it’s actually available for pre-order.

This is a wild generalization; it may describe some, or many players But not all by far.

The topic asks if you will buy HoT.

Some people are and answered"yes".

Some people are not, and they answered “no”.

I answered “no”, and it means I am not buying it.

I dislike the trait system, wish they would revert it, and do not expect them to. I miss how the game was, and if they revert the trait system, my interest may return. I really did love the game.

So, I will continue as I have since the trait system change and just mess around a bit in the game on my existing lvl 80 characters, if I want a break from my other game. But I have no desire to go farther than that under the current trait system.

As far as I can tell, the xpac does not revert the trait system. The expac does nothing for me as is.

I had hoped, in an act of perhaps foolish optimism, that they would announce a reversion of the trait system perhaps. A small hope, but I did love game. I check back now and then to see what has happened in the game, but without a reversion I will use this game for simple messing about on my level 80s and nothing more. I have no reason to buy the xpac as things are.

Posted by: Unknown.2586

Unknown.2586

I am beyond excited for this:

- Stronghold pvp mode = I have been dying for this
- Guild halls = I have been dying for this
- New Class = awesome

TL;DR
My body is ready

Posted by: Zlav.4806

Zlav.4806

Probably will buy it.

Changing on WvW is very welcome. Stronghold is promising (unless it’s only another match with 5×5). Guild Hall would be nice to be with my friends (I play because of them, if not I would be playing more Dragon Age). I’m curious about the new profession too.

For new region, I don’t care. New progression? I hope it doesn’t force me to play PvE to get things working well on WvW again.

Zlav ~ Sif Lightning ~ Hrist Pentaghast ~ Rick Majin ~ Alicia Thunderstorm
Member of White Raven @Jade Quarry

Posted by: Yitsul.8342

Yitsul.8342

Most Definitely! I’ve been dying for something like this for the last months!

Posted by: Cowrex.9564

Cowrex.9564

I know I will I’m really excited to play all new content It’s nice to see an expansion coming by

Give a man fire, he will be warm, set a man on fire, he will be warm forever! …or dead…

Posted by: Ben K.6238

Ben K.6238

Twice. I’ll probably go for a collector’s edition and a regular one for the other account.

Posted by: Letifer.4360

Letifer.4360

I still don’t know if ill be buying this “expansion”, so far I’m not interested enough to buy it, I was expecting raids and I’m still waiting to know how many new zones will be added with this because they said 3 biomes but didn’t say how many zones.

I couldn’t care less about PVP, GvG and WvW, so aside from that all I get is 1 new class , an undetermined number of zones and some new features… this is a very very small “expansion” if this is all there is to it.

Posted by: The Fadman.7058

The Fadman.7058

Nope, absolutely not.
My reaction when watching the stream was ‘This is it?’
How long have they been working on this and this is what they have to show for it?

Now comparing to another, well known MMO’s first expansion;

Guild Wars 2:

3 New maps/tiers of unknown size
1 New class
‘Mastery’
More crafting
The class upgrade thingy
Cheap precursors
‘’More challenging group content’’
Guild Hall
GvG
WvW map no one cares about.

Burning Crusade:

1 New continent made up of 7 zones
2 New races
Faction class swap (Classes no longer exclusive to faction)
4 New smaller zones, including cities for both new races
5 Raids that I can remember
15 New dungeons
1 New PvP map
1 New crafting profession and updated other professions
New skills, flight etc.
And that’s not including the ‘Living World’ patches that included 1 new raid and 1 dungeon in just 1 patch.

Before you dogpile me with ‘’b-but we’ve had Living Story!‘’ the teams developing LS and that develop the XPac will be different.
The LS itself gives you a whole 2 hours of content including achievements(each patch), half of it is bugged that they either never fix, or stealth-fix a WHOLE MONTH LATER while denying any bug existed (Looking at you Annihilator).
While again, WoW has decimated 2 city HuBs (and fixed/redesigned them) and revamped it’s entire base world in one expansion and they don’t even claim this ‘revolutionary living story’.

And don’t even get me started on the fact that it is ALL TEMPORARY. Sure the maps like Southsun, Drytop and Silverwastes are permanent and the Breach is a mechanic that can always trigger. But it’s still time gated because of the playerbase.
Those that join in another year aren’t going to be able to see that content or get those items because everyone else has moved on.
The only thing that keeps the content padded out is the RNG grind.

This ‘expansion’ is nothing more than Living Story 3 and a Feature Pack rolled into a neat little package that they’re going to ask people to pay for. And a disgusting amount of people are only too happy to do so.
I don’t hold anything against people enjoying the game, but no one seems to care if the content is of good quality and so what incentive do ANet have to make anything good? You’ll pay for it anyway.

As someone else said, this only has the ‘expansion’ sticker slapped on it because it’s what people wanted to hear.
It was however hilarious watching Colin wait for applause and got nothing but the occasional pity-clap.

I like GW2 and I really hope I’m wrong, but I don’t think I will be, so now is the time for me to uninstall and go elsewhere.

Pretty much summarized how I feel about this. I was looking for a reason to come back into the game because I loved GW1 and enjoyed the beginning of GW2 but as you said, this is honestly a feature pack combined with an LS update (with a new class). I hope they havent released all the information regarding this “Expansion” because if they have, people will be starved for content within a week.

Posted by: RainbowMcFuzzy.7960

RainbowMcFuzzy.7960

Depends on the price, honestly…
My boyfriend and I both have separate accounts that we’d have to pay for and even 1 could get outrageous.

Posted by: Lazaar.9123

Lazaar.9123

Arena Net’s gonna surprise all you guys with something like WildStar’s Play and pay system…trust me Anet wants all you guys to play this expansion

Keep in mind that’s for the sub fee, not actual game cost. Gem store alone wouldn’t really be enough to cover all the costs.

(edited by Lazaar.9123)

Posted by: Joy.8791

Joy.8791

Yup. Many of the features are ones I’ve wanted for a long time, and I’m really excited for the new zones. I definitely don’t mind paying for an expansion since the game is B2P anyway. The last time I was forced to pay money to play this game was 2 years ago… I mean, I have paid money for shiny cosmetic things, but I totally could have played this game and its updates for 2 years, for free. Shelling out another 40-50 dollars (at a point where I will likely have been playing for 3 years) for a bunch more stuff seems totally reasonable.

Edit: Also, a reminder that ANet hasn’t revealed many specifics about the expac… we don’t know how many zones there will be, how many specializations there will be, and what the new group content even entails. The stuff they have revealed is enough for me to justify my purchase, but if you’re on the fence then you should stay there, because none of us have the full picture right now. The trailer didn’t show everything because more than likely, they want some things to be a surprise when we all get to finally play. For most of beta, we only ever even saw a few zones.

(edited by Joy.8791)

Posted by: Zephyra.4709

Zephyra.4709

Yes I am most definitely buying HoT immediately, upon release.

Price ranges, if any applicable, do not bother me in the slightest.

Looking forward to everything mentioned in this expansion, especially the Revenant profession. Many juicy questions others have asked and I too am keen on answers.

Glimpsing at the new mordrem monsters in the trailer kind of sets off that AVATAR theme which is pretty awesome so I hope we get some minis at least of those cool creatures.

Hang gliding at first thought is.. Interesting and sounds very fun so I’m also keen to check that out. It makes me wonder though if we will get any lore on it – who made this invention? I assume most likely Asura or possibly Charr with their inventions and such.

Definite buy on my behalf.

Posted by: BigWhiteShogun.2591

BigWhiteShogun.2591

First i was hugely disappointed by lack of new race in expansion, but after one guy on forum helped me to understand why Arenanet couldn’t do that, it is easier for me to forgive them and say without doubt in devs…

Hell freaking yeah I’m gonna buy it, and hope they let me have it in a CE !

Posted by: ckotoc.5421

ckotoc.5421

I heard something about better graphics etc.If the game needs the same specs as gw2 then yes i will surely buy it since i can play with low settings gw2 even eotm with no problems.Otherwise no.I want the game not a new pc.

Posted by: Celestina.2894

Celestina.2894

I heard something about better graphics etc.If the game needs the same specs as gw2 then yes i will surely buy it since i can play with low settings gw2 even eotm with no problems.Otherwise no.I want the game not a new pc.

It’s not entirely uncommon for an expansion to be more demanding then the base game, but it’s never dramatically more demanding except in very specific cases.

For example, the complete rebuild of FF14 into what may as well be an entirely different game. Though that was more of a “Guys, we’re sorry, we kittened up so we’re gonna do this, this, this etc etc for you.”

But basically if you can run GW2 as it is now, you should have nothing to worry about.

(edited by Celestina.2894)

Posted by: Kell.9365

Kell.9365

It would be helpful if they would at least give a price so we could see how much it sets us back. I’ve got a number of games to upgrade but not infinite bucks.

Posted by: Naus the Gobbo.5172

Naus the Gobbo.5172

Of course I’ll buy it.

Attachments:

What we do in life echoes in eternity
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6zkT2uZAGA – GW2 – A world of wonder

Posted by: ekarat.1085

ekarat.1085

Almost definitely, especially if I can buy it with gems. :-)

In all seriousness, I tried several MMOs and two months ago settled on this one as better than the others I tried.

In my opinion, its biggest flaw is that it is too different from Guild Wars 1 — it appeals too much to PvE rather than focusing on the GvG that people liked in the first game. I think the end result is good, but appeals to a different fan base than the original. (In full disclosure, I never played the first one because I’m not a huge fan of PvP, so the style of GW2 is more to my liking, but I understand the perils of alienating your original fan base.)

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

I am certainly excited to finally see it yes and I am curious so I will be watching it closely but whether I buy it depends on several factors, including what items they’ll be addressing in the current progression model, the current economic model, the current state of PVE combat and a few other fixes that are necessary but that were never implemented due to time and cost.

So we’ll see it’s definitely worth following for more information.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

Of course I’ll buy it.

Best reply EVAR! The picture that is …:D

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

(edited by tigirius.9014)

Posted by: Goraz.3754

Goraz.3754

Unless I die beforehand, I can safely say I’ll buy it.
Although I have not played so much lately due to long term guild dying and getting a bit bored of the pve content (I really don’t enjoy pvp in mmo’s), I still feel that there was so much content to explore and enjoy for the money.
I’d much sooner have the one off payment to buy an expansion and play for free rather than double dip like Blizz.

Posted by: Lyanna.9875

Lyanna.9875

Yes i’ll buy it without any doubt…
For the ones that are whining about the fact that they probably will finish the content in a week: come on seriously? Did you have a life? a job, a boyfriend or girlfriend? Or you play 25 hours per day?
No because that is the only explanation for this type of comment.
Guild wars 2 is not only for hardcore gamers, get over it.

Posted by: Ukyo.8501

Ukyo.8501

With more infos, maybe, expecially if it turns out promising enough.
So far I’ve only see the usually hype-generating vagueness. We’ll see what we’ll get to know in the upcoming weeks, it’s far too early to decide.

Posted by: Code.8615

Code.8615

If it’s over 25 bucks and only has one new area, one new char and the other minor stuff they’ve mentioned so far, no.

It’s nice that GUILD Wars is finally getting some actual guild stuff though.
Bloody took long enough.

Posted by: SirDrygan.1823

SirDrygan.1823

If it is about 30USD and only open 3 maps, with 1 new class and some other random stuff that was long overdue, NO.
NO NO NO.
Dragging the Living Story over months and years is just dragging. Even with the expansion, it is going to take ages for the storyline to progress at the rate Anet is revealing the storyline sentence by sentence. Call it marketing strategy or anything, but it is just too slow the storyline progression.

It is goes on discount later in the year, then probably.

Posted by: darkprecure.6129

darkprecure.6129

I’ll definitely buy it.

Posted by: Fashion Mage.3712

Fashion Mage.3712

Most people will comment here are going to say no because the title attracts specifically that group of the player-base.

Tsunderes. “I-it’s not like I want to buy it or anything!”.

Posted by: hennrick.4623

hennrick.4623

Nope, absolutely not.
My reaction when watching the stream was ‘This is it?’
How long have they been working on this and this is what they have to show for it?

Now comparing to another, well known MMO’s first expansion; […]

With all the respect, that is laughable.
I agree, materialistically burning crusade had more content. However, you do not consider that by introducing that they destroyed wathever they did before, like they do with any other expansion.
The new map content in bc was only necessary for leveling content because they raise level cap, making all the old content worthless, while all the stuff of HoT is a net gain.
With BC for example you had to quest throught new maps, fine, but in the end it only became a screensaver for new dungeons. In HoT all the old content will keep his value, and the map itself will hold said pve challenges.
New races are always a worthless addition to an MMo, since later races will always have a lesser value than inizial ones ( and will have a lesser impact too – look at draenei, they became the junk race after bkittenil wod) and are not ejooyable by all players ( only by those who use that race ), plus a wvw map that makes Wintergrasp pale in comparison, a new pvp map that is not a clone from others and specializations added for every professions ( posing at least 2 specializations per profession – just to keep low – widens so much the possibilities that is actually better than a new profession!) and a new profession in top of that ( that does not only mean new gameplay, but also new strategical choice in groups and new challenges to overcome in pvp).

I loved wow, don’ t get me bad, but this expansion is worth like 2 expansions of wow, just with only the things they teased.

Posted by: Sebbl.2806

Sebbl.2806

Yes, since I’m very interested in all of those major features.
It’s also a motivation to get myself a new computer after playing this game since beta with absolute minimum requirements… cough

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

I will pre order as soon as they will let me.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: Gandolfi.1507

Gandolfi.1507

Of course – in fact I’ll be buying six copies of it. My five sons and I all play.

Godrik Gandolfi – human warrior; Lucius Foestabber – charr reaper
The Path Least Travelled, Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Fiontar.4695

Fiontar.4695

I want to be able to say yes, but I still need to know a lot more about it before deciding. LS completely turned me off to the game, so the expansion will have to win me over as a returning player to earn a purchase.

What do I still need to know?

Price.

Number of zones added and the size of those zones.

Number of Dynamic Events added and will any new events appear in existing zones as part of the expansion?

Who headed up the project? Were some of the “missing” high profile talent like Eric Flannum, Ree Soesbee, Jeff Grub, etc… flying under the radar publicly while working on this expansion? Or, were the people who influenced the LS strategy also in charge of expansion development?

Not a deal breaker, but is Revnant the spiritual and mechanical successor of the GW1 Ritualist, or have Ritualist fans had their hopes crushed?

Other details, I’m sure, oh, and an announcement that there will be no new seasons of Living Story and that it’s time to devote live development to making the existing game world relevant again would go a long way towards earning my purchase. In fact, even though some of the answers to questions above may earn a single purchase from me even if another season is in the works, maybe, I will never, ever buy a copy for my second account as well, unless the end of LS is part of the bargain.

Posted by: Iristrismegistus.1293

Iristrismegistus.1293

Yes.

Very much, yes.

After two years of playing, I’m definitely stoked for this expansion.

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

Yes.

I’ve played gw2 for 2.5 yrs now spent 80 euro’s on pre order and played it 5600 hour now
That’s about 0.014 euro / hour? So about 1.5 eurocents an hour…

If I spend another 50 euro and play till 10800 hours i’m good… it will be 0.012 euro’s an hour…

I doubt this expansion will be payable with gems tbh. I doubt ArenaNet is going to give this game away to trading post flipprs for free….

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

(edited by PaxTheGreatOne.9472)

Posted by: Rebound.3409

Rebound.3409

I will obviously buy it no doubt about it. That’s one of the major issues i’ve had with this game and what i’ve been trolling the forums about. Can’t wait for it.

PS. I have a vague feeling it will be released on the 3rd year anniversary day for GW2 this year.

Posted by: scerevisiae.1972

scerevisiae.1972

Of course I will buy it. I don’t understand people who think 30$+ for an expansion is expensive. WoW:WoD is 44.95$ and that game has a freaking sub fee on top.

$30 buys a lot of game these days…

One might (cynically) argue that all/almost all of the included content should have been made available over the course of the last 2 years as part of the core game and the only reason this is an expac is that player numbers are spiralling into the toilet and it’s time to squeeze the remaining players for more $$$ before spamming them with more dubious quality LS content whose sole purpose is to promote the gem store.

I’m still pretty kittened off with the level of apathy shown toward fixing major game bugs like ranger sword #1 loss of character control as well as the close to zero level of effort invested into making all existing skills/traits equally appealing. They seem a lot more interested in shipping units not delivering the level of care and attention to detail a quality game requires.

downed state is bad for PVP

(edited by scerevisiae.1972)

Posted by: Basaltface.2786

Basaltface.2786

Of course – in fact I’ll be buying six copies of it. My five sons and I all play.

5 sons and all in the same game? Boy you are lucky … personal family mini zerg XD

That aside.. yeap im more then ready for the xpac myself.

Posted by: Lutete.5379

Lutete.5379

Yes, I’m buying it. I’ll still buy it even if the expansion gets terrible reviews. I have a job, money, and I love GW.

Posted by: Twaddlefish.6537

Twaddlefish.6537

Sweet Dwayna, yes, I’ll be buying/pre-ordering!

Posted by: Noviere.7309

Noviere.7309

Based on what we’ve seen so far? Yes.

Posted by: Setz.9675

Setz.9675

Ofcourse I will buy the expansion when it’s released.

-Precursor crafting
-Maguuma jungle to explore
-New class
-New legendarys (for the love of tyria make their precursors account bound and obtained through maguuma world exploration because what happened to the first set of precursors was just a sick joke)

Im interrested to know what will happen to dungeons and fractals.
New dungeons with multiple explorable paths?
Fractal level increase from 50 to 80, new fractal maps, fractal armor, fractal weapon box?
When is lv500 jewelcrafting coming and will we be able to make cool amulets with it like those poly-luminescent and preserved queen bee items (which can’t be crafted and dropchances are so low I’d might as well win the lottery)?
Are the existing legendarys going to get a final improvement? It’s just dumb to have a weapon like bolt to have such a cool electric aura and frostfang to have nothing, twilight aura to be nearly non existent and some legendarys to have no footfall nor aura at all.

Things I don’t care about:
Guild halls
WvW
The Story (personal story, LS s1 +s2 were complete garbage imo).
The start of the livestream at pax with just as many breaks as the living story

(edited by Setz.9675)

Posted by: Kassilph.5872

Kassilph.5872

Since I just bought the game 10 months ago (and not on sale) it’ll depend on the price of the expansion. 20-30 euros in a heartbeat, if it’ll cost more…i have enough other content to explore for now

Posted by: Valento.9852

Valento.9852

For the records, WoW is too old to even attract me a LITTLE TINY bit, no matter how much crap they add.

And yes, I will purchase HoT even if it costs $50.00.

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer