(Be honest!) Have you ever...

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Mitzarin.2963

Mitzarin.2963

Have you ever been in HoT so long, you leave and go into a Tyrian map, and suicide off a cliff because gliders don’t work there?

I have…
I crack up every time.

*(Can we get gliding everywhere!!!? I don’t care if it’s a mastery either!!!!)

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

There have been plenty of situations where I thought to myself “I wish I had my glider right now” but no, I haven’t forgotten and killed myself. I’m pretty good about remembering where I am and what skills I have access to at any given time.

Posted by: Takoyakii.2146

Takoyakii.2146

KITTEN FRICKING SEVER LAG I CAN’T OPEN MY GLIDER PROPERLY AND DIED!

Oh….I’m in central Tyria…. //**blush

Posted by: Swift.1930

Swift.1930

But maybe the whole idea is for Anet staff to grab popcorn and observe while people try gliding outside HoT!

Yeah, I’ve done it a few times. Well, more than a few. I’m waiting for a blob commander in WvW to suddenly be like “oh… uh… whoops. No gliders here, huh?”

Been there, punned that.

Ehmry Bay Guardian

(edited by Swift.1930)

Posted by: Boysenberry.1869

Boysenberry.1869

I haven’t leaped to my doom but I have jumped off many small cliffs in Central Tyria and instinctively held down my spacebar.

Posted by: Rayden.3695

Rayden.3695

Fallen to death… no… Faceplanted a million times with ~100 health left… yes

Posted by: Basaltface.2786

Basaltface.2786

yes… 2 days ago in eotm THREE TIMES in a row

Posted by: rhodoc.2381

rhodoc.2381

Would it be broken if we had gilders in Tyria?

[VcY] Velocity – Gargamell

Posted by: Teaniel.9052

Teaniel.9052

Trying to take a shortcut to the lowest level in the Grove. Like, four times now, same spot.

We’re going to devote our energies to sports, gardening, all the cultural pursuits;
in fact, we’re going to put the goons to sleep.
Meanwhile – we dig.

Posted by: Kraggy.4169

Kraggy.4169

Would it be broken if we had gilders in Tyria?

Yes unless gliding could be unlocked by Tyria masteries.

Posted by: tym.3791

tym.3791

No, But in DH, I have stood on the side of the tree where people go to get the final dragon reward chest, and giggled as people would get so close, then fall. Its kinda like watching people slip on ice. While its wrong, you still find your self laughing at it.

Posted by: Rattex.3467

Rattex.3467

Have you ever been in HoT so long, you leave and go into a Tyrian map, and suicide off a cliff because gliders don’t work there?

Every. Single.Time

Posted by: Cyrotek.7019

Cyrotek.7019

Trying to take a shortcut to the lowest level in the Grove. Like, four times now, same spot.

This. I hate the Grove now.

Posted by: Nath Forge Tempete.1645

Nath Forge Tempete.1645

I made it twice in a row in the new WvW borderland. And one time in HotM

Posted by: Maris.3164

Maris.3164

I’ve done this numerous times… Usually after spending a few hours in a HoT map.

Posted by: fireflyry.7023

fireflyry.7023

To be honest I’ve had more issues forgetting about the glider and taking the long road in HoT.

#facepalm#

If your having adventurer problems I feel bad for you son, I dodged 99 arrows till my knee took one.

Posted by: adormtil.1605

adormtil.1605

Yeah I really wish it would be put in the entire game.

Posted by: JVJD.4912

JVJD.4912

Yes i did it in the fractal , lmao

Posted by: mbhalo.1547

mbhalo.1547

Constantly doing it in the old maps.

We should petition anet to enable gliders everywhere.
Archeage and Aion have gliding everywhere why can’t GW2?

Posted by: Rabe.2456

Rabe.2456

Every day I have…

Posted by: Leohart.4610

Leohart.4610

Because it would render the 50% less falling damage traits useless (not like that’’s a bad thing though).

Old maps aren’t designed for gliding.

People breaking out of maps, glitching, etc.

Posted by: Nath Forge Tempete.1645

Nath Forge Tempete.1645

and maybe cause of some jumping puzzles shoud be too Easy =D uhuhuh nope but still annoying for those who likes JPs.

Maybe cause u could probably skip some part (in dungeons /fractals or what) just think about the icy fractal or taumanova, etc.

(they would have to add some invisible walls everywhere… it’s too much work)

Posted by: Exotrax.4207

Exotrax.4207

I have no problem to fly in the old Tyria ……I just use my new elite spec : farting boosters ^^

….they work very well and are easy to craft !!!

Posted by: Redfeather.6401

Redfeather.6401

I used to jump off cliffs and mash the spacebar all the time.
Never knew until now why I did it. It’s because I’m actually a time traveller sent to the past, with only instincts born from the future.
Watch my new tv show on the WB this fall!

Posted by: feydriva.8047

feydriva.8047

I probably have 100% chance trying to open glider when I jump off wall in WvW.

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

Yeah this happened to me the first time I went back to a core map. Weeeeeee splat!

Not done it again.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: adormtil.1605

adormtil.1605

Well there is you go outside of map you make useless some reduce falling skills and jumping puzzles are easier but its not all that worth it for gliding outside the HOT map?

Posted by: kuritsutian.2987

kuritsutian.2987

Yup on WvW small cliffs and walls tho…… Dragon Stand comment was evil xD

Suddenly in the Forums Everyone is now a Game designer!

Posted by: Ngeluz.4860

Ngeluz.4860

It has happen to me too hahaahaha… I think this could be a solution to the Mega-thread post of buying the original game twice to get HoT complain…

Does who buy it get access to glide in all of Tyria? It would justify it and it could potentially open to add new content in our old dull none, gliding Tyria?

Think about it Anet…or better yet DO IT! Pretty please…?

Swift.1930

Because it would render the 50% less falling damage traits useless (not like that’’s a bad thing though).

Uh… 50% traits are useless in HoT maps if you think that way. I’d actually say they are more useful with gliders, because you can target their utility more effectively (necro fear).

Of course all maps are designed for it! Can’t break out of maps anyways (try swimming out in water maps if you don’t believe me).

Glitching? Gliding is a sub-process attached to jumping that changes the speed/direction of falling slightly. What could go wrong? A surface we aren’t supposed to stand on? We’ll just fall through it and waypoint. It happens. =P

Been there, punned that.

Ehmry Bay Guardian

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Uh… 50% traits are useless in HoT maps if you think that way. I’d actually say they are more useful with gliders, because you can target their utility more effectively (necro fear).

Of course all maps are designed for it! Can’t break out of maps anyways (try swimming out in water maps if you don’t believe me).

Glitching? Gliding is a sub-process attached to jumping that changes the speed/direction of falling slightly. What could go wrong? A surface we aren’t supposed to stand on? We’ll just fall through it and waypoint. It happens. =P

The ways to keep people from breaking out of old maps assume they are on the ground or in the water and can do no better than jump or use a teleport gun. The barriers are unlikely to reach much higher than that. Why should they? This means the barriers that lead up to the map borders or in the water or the invisible walls around hills that keep people from going higher will all need to be re-made. In addition, the tops of those hills might not have a collision set for them. If not, they will need to be re-made also.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Swift.1930

The ways to keep people from breaking out of old maps assume they are on the ground or in the water and can do no better than jump or use a teleport gun. The barriers are unlikely to reach much higher than that. Why should they? This means the barriers that lead up to the map borders or in the water or the invisible walls around hills that keep people from going higher will all need to be re-made. In addition, the tops of those hills might not have a collision set for them. If not, they will need to be re-made also.

Well, it’s just a barrier formed by the engine when a player nears the edge of the rendered/mapped area. The highest peak we can reach to glide from is likely also the top of that barrier, so anything below that has already been adjusted to compensate for any fluke/player luck/etc.

Been there, punned that.

Ehmry Bay Guardian

Just a flesh wound.3589

Well, it’s just a barrier formed by the engine when a player nears the edge of the rendered/mapped area. The highest peak we can reach to glide from is likely also the top of that barrier, so anything below that has already been adjusted to compensate for any fluke/player luck/etc.

I wonder then, if it’s so easy, why it took WoW a couple of months to add flying to their expansion? They said the reason it was taking so long was because of a lot of barriers and places that needed fixing before flying could be added. And that’s in a game where they originally said flying would be in the expansion at some point.

ANet may give it to you.

Swift.1930

I wonder then, if it’s so easy, why it took WoW a couple of months to add flying to their expansion? They said the reason it was taking so long was because of a lot of barriers and places that needed fixing before flying could be added. And that’s in a game where they originally said flying would be in the expansion at some point.

Flying or gliding? I’ve no clue what system WoW uses. Flying would be different, I guess. Also, does WoW use waypointing for respawning/relocating?

If we’re talking about little places that need blocking up due to players flying up to exploit something, that’s one thing (still, keep in mind that we can only glide). Even if barriers need to be set up, it would take ~2 mins per side of map, since GW2 maps are rectangular (just place a huge flat pane across the edge that repels players upon contact – or even takes them to the adjacent map, if they’ve got access to it). Are WoW maps rectangular?

Been there, punned that.

Ehmry Bay Guardian

Posted by: Major Domo.9250

Major Domo.9250

Perhaps gliding ‘safe spots’ could be chosen, similar to the existing diving locations.

Just a flesh wound.3589

Flying or gliding? I’ve no clue what system WoW uses. Flying would be different, I guess. Also, does WoW use waypointing for respawning/relocating?

If we’re talking about little places that need blocking up due to players flying up to exploit something, that’s one thing (still, keep in mind that we can only glide). Even if barriers need to be set up, it would take ~2 mins per side of map, since GW2 maps are rectangular (just place a huge flat pane across the edge that repels players upon contact – or even takes them to the adjacent map, if they’ve got access to it). Are WoW maps rectangular?

Does it matter if it’s flying or gliding? It’s still movement above the ground level. (And what does waypointing have to do with the discussion of remodeling maps to make them flying/gliding capable?) What I remember them saying is that there were barriers that needed to be removed, not barriers that needed to be added. (As an aside, our game has a lot of invisible walls inside of maps not related to the exterior borders)

If a game that’s set up for moving through the air and an expansion that they said would have flying, takes them a couple of months of fixing to allow flying in the expansion area, then that means a game made without this mechanism will require much more remodeling of the old maps.

ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Posted by: ZachAttack.3957

ZachAttack.3957

I would like gliding in WvW. Paratrooper reinforcements inbound!

Swift.1930

Does it matter if it’s flying or gliding? It’s still movement above the ground level. (And what does waypointing have to do with the discussion of remodeling maps to make them flying/gliding capable?) What I remember them saying is that there were barriers that needed to be removed, not barriers that needed to be added. (As an aside, our game has a lot of invisible walls inside of maps not related to the exterior borders)

If a game that’s set up for moving through the air and an expansion that they said would have flying, takes them a couple of months of fixing to allow flying in the expansion area, then that means a game made without this mechanism will require much more remodeling of the old maps.

Hmm, but flying and gliding are different – flying can take you anywhere from the ground up, but gliding is just a more elegant form of falling. It’s much, much easier to create a playground for gliders than it is to ensure correct restrictions for flying players.

Ah, they removed barriers, okay.

I’m still waiting to glide across a lake in Harathi Hinterlands. Or across a valley in Timberline Falls.

Been there, punned that.

Ehmry Bay Guardian

Just a flesh wound.3589

Hmm, but flying and gliding are different – flying can take you anywhere from the ground up, but gliding is just a more elegant form of falling. It’s much, much easier to create a playground for gliders than it is to ensure correct restrictions for flying players.

I’m still waiting to glide across a lake in Harathi Hinterlands. Or across a valley in Timberline Falls.

At a guess they were talking about invisible walls inside of the maps, such as the ones inside of the Tyrian maps around some of the hills and blocking the ends of some tree branches. These might need to be removed and collision added to the features behind the walls to make it possible to glide inside a map without ending up like a bird hitting a window pane.

ANet may give it to you.

Swift.1930

At a guess they were talking about invisible walls inside of the maps, such as the ones inside of the Tyrian maps around some of the hills and blocking the ends of some tree branches. These might need to be removed and collision added to the features behind the walls to make it possible to glide inside a map without ending up like a bird hitting a window pane.

Although… I can see that being very funny. Just need to implement a four-second stun and a trigger that stops the gliding motion! xD

Been there, punned that.

Ehmry Bay Guardian

Posted by: kuritsutian.2987

kuritsutian.2987

Stealth Gliding would be OP on WvW!!! bring it!

Suddenly in the Forums Everyone is now a Game designer!

Posted by: Runewolf.8456

Runewolf.8456

at least once in WvW after i try some grinding to get the rev armor collections done.

Posted by: Vlad Morbius.1759

Vlad Morbius.1759

Almost daily……really wish they would add it to all of Tyria.

Vini, Vidi, Vici, Viridis…I came, I saw, I conquered…I got a green??