Can the developpers please stop ignoring us?

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: eldrin.6471

eldrin.6471

when the players stop spending money on this game they will listen and not before.

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

If you’re a broad and regular reader of these forums you’ll notice posting has also plummeted. The year of hype has become the 4 maps of reality and some really questionable balancing decisions.

Winner. So true it’s painful. But, those that said something was off all those months ago, were told otherwise.

It seems that reality has now come to roost.

Gone to Reddit.

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

I’m ok with them taking the weekend off, but when they get back I really hope that they will spend time addressing the various issues we’ve been talking about head-on, rather than staying silent on the issues.

At least let us know for a fact that you’ve heard (and not in a general “we read everything,” I mean specifically “we are aware that the guild challenges weren’t working this week and you all lost out on rewards from them, we plan to fix this, and here’s compensation for your wasted time”), that you agree with us that X is a problem, and some idea of what you’d like to do about it.

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”

Posted by: Rasimir.6239

Rasimir.6239

Thing is we still have people on 64-bit client and 8+ GB of RAM reporting crashes, so address limitations isn’t the only cause of this issue.

Read the 64-bit Client Beta FAQ linked in a sticky thread at the top of this forum:

What are the benefits over the 32-bit client?
64-bit applications have a significantly higher limit on how much memory they are able to use compared to 32-bit applications. Due to this, the main benefit is significantly less “out of memory” crashes.

Nowhere did ANet claim that the 64 bit client won’t crash, all they said is that a certain kind of crash will happen significantly less often than they happen on the 32 bit client. For me personally, this has proven to be true. While I had out-of-memory crashes about once an hour in the HoT maps on the 32 bit client, and could almost predict the point of meta events where my client would crash, I haven’t had a single one of those since I switched to the 64 bit client (Win7 with 8GB memory), in fact, I’ve rarely crashed at all since the switch.

Now if they’d come up with a beta login server that wouldn’t be so fickle in keeping connection … a girl can dream, right?

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

Nowhere did ANet claim that the 64 bit client won’t crash, all they said is that a certain kind of crash will happen significantly less often than they happen on the 32 bit client.

This is true. For the first couple weeks of HoT the game would crash almost every time the Tarir meta ended and everyone tried to meet in the middle (presumably from trying to load all those players at once), and occasionally at other points. In the week or so since I got the 64-bit client, the game hasn’t crashed once, although there are more “hitches” where everything freezes up for a second or so, and of course it does use more ram.

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

Thing is we still have people on 64-bit client and 8+ GB of RAM reporting crashes, so address limitations isn’t the only cause of this issue.

Read the 64-bit Client Beta FAQ linked in a sticky thread at the top of this forum:

Please read my earlier post where I said:

I’m not denying that it might help, but nobody should be under the impression that “just” by using the 64 bit client is guaranteed to solve the crashing problems – which is the attitude I see too frequently when people dismiss crash complaints.

The replies are just getting further and further away from context.

Posted by: loseridoit.2756

loseridoit.2756

I’m not denying that it might help, but nobody should be under the impression that “just” by using the 64 bit client is guaranteed to solve the crashing problems – which is the attitude I see too frequently when people dismiss crash complaints.

and you understand what is memory fragmentation is do you?

memory fragmentation is not a problem is anet’s code. It is a problem with anet is hitting the limits of what windows can do.

If adding 64 bit does not work, then I wonder how long before they start rolling their own memory allocation. I know firefox does it.

Posted by: GreyWolf.8670

GreyWolf.8670

They are following the same path that led Blizzard to lose over 50% of their subscribers in less than a year to a tee.

Thankfully I’ve only wasted $50 on this game. Was fun until HoT launch day. It’s a shame that ANet doesn’t seem to want to address anything other than complaints that have to do with raiding. (e.g.: I must have my elites now! Nerf the HP requirements.)

GreyWolf.8670

memory fragmentation is not a problem is anet’s code. It is a problem with anet is hitting the limits of what windows can do.

If adding 64 bit does not work, then I wonder how long before they start rolling their own memory allocation. I know firefox does it.

It’s not a fragmentation problem. It’s an issue with how the new maps are designed. There is almost no occlusion or portaling, thereby requiring the GPU to keep assets in its memory and attempt to draw them even though they’re irrelevant to the scene.

loseridoit.2756

They are following the same path that led Blizzard to lose over 50% of their subscribers in less than a year to a tee.

Thankfully I’ve only wasted $50 on this game. Was fun until HoT launch day. It’s a shame that ANet doesn’t seem to want to address anything other than complaints that have to do with raiding. (e.g.: I must have my elites now! Nerf the HP requirements.)

anet addresses complaints quite regularly. However, they not always address complaints whenever players want them. To be frank, there are more players than devs fixing bugs. I do not think it is possible to address all the complaints when some issues needs weeks and months to fix.

Posted by: Kraggy.4169

Kraggy.4169

It clearly HAS worked and many, many people were crashing regularly at times like the moment a world boss zerg ends, the 64-bit fixed that.

I’ve had two crashes with the 64-bit client, both associated with zoning into a zone, I suspect a simply bug that isn’t ‘-bit’ related.

Yes, there are still some crashes but certainly one thread I suspect you’re complaining about was entirely based on an OP saying he was crashing at this very moment of a world boss.

Fact is, memory fragmentation IS NOT AN ISSUE on 64-bit systems because if when it occurs page swapping means there is no practical situation where a 64-bit app that isn’t simply mis-behaving can go ‘out of memory’!

Yes, a grotesque memory leak will eventually mean even the swapfile gets full but, frankly, that’s such a gross case it would be IMO inconceivable to come across one is real life.

(edited by Kraggy.4169)

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Actually they haven’t followed the same path at all. The games aren’t really comparable. One is a subscription game, one is not and that changes a lot. Because there’s no barrier to entry to return to Guild Wars 2.

However, Guild Wars 2 also went free to play for the core game which WoW did not. These situations aren’t really comparable at all.

The only thing that is comparable is that some customers aren’t satisfied. However, I’m relatively sure for every person who stops playing another is having a great time. It’s either someone coming back or someone converting the free to play account to HoT.

We’ll know for sure in six months if the situation is as dire as some paint it. It won’t be the first time people said the game is killing itself and it won’t be the last.

It hasn’t been true yet however.

loseridoit.2756

It clearly HAS worked and many, many people were crashing regularly at times like the moment a world boss zerg ends, the 64-bit fixed that.

I’ve had two crashes with the 64-bit client, both associated with zoning into a zone, I suspect a simply bug that isn’t ‘-bit’ related.

Yes, there are still some crashes but certainly one thread I suspect you’re complaining about was entirely based on an OP saying he was crashing at this very moment of a world boss.

Fact is, memory fragmentation IS NOT AN ISSUE on 64-bit systems because if when it occurs page swapping means there is no practical situation where a 64-bit app that isn’t simply mis-behaving can go ‘out of memory’!

Yes, a grotesque memory leak will eventually mean even the swapfile gets full but, frankly, that’s such a gross case it would be IMO inconceivable to come across one is real life.

ok ok ok…….

I am talking to people who do not know a dawm thing about operating systems.

In modern os, process(programs) manage memory indirectly through a mmu.

The thing is that os designers want application writers have a easy time writing apps so they created a virtual address space. The mmu separate the address to pages (4k or whatever I do not know the amd64 page size) and maps it to memory.

Addresses on physical memory does not fragment. However, process memory can fragment regardless of size. Why? address are linear. Basically, os tell gw2 that it can use 0 to N memory addresses.

When you allocate two objects (XC) in virtual address space, it will end up something like this

XXCCC—
0 5 N

When you allocate the object X, you get

—CCC—
0 5 N

Well now 4 memory spaces is free

Now, you allocate a 3 space object A

AA(A/C)—

0 5 N

Boom, out of memory.

Memory fragmentation is real…..

Posted by: Vlad Morbius.1759

Vlad Morbius.1759

when the players stop spending money on this game they will listen and not before.

This is reality, everything else is pure speculation, opinions or blind faith. The fact that a lot of people have left should be very concerning to them and everyone still playing for that matter. The fact is when the pool of players gets smaller one of two things can happen, the cost of everything in the gem store goes up to try and recover lost revenue which leads to more people leaving, or;
They start cutting or reassigning their development staff which in turn will lead to the demise of the game that we know as GW2. Sure it could survive for some time after but it will never feel the same way or be as popular as it was in the beginning.

Also lets not forget that there are some very good titles on their way to market as well as a Warcraft movie which may spur a lot of people to leave and return to WoW out of pure sentimental reasons, whether they stay or not is irrelevant because the impact will hurt.
They need to take the time to communicate what they plan to do with some of the major complaints to appease the remaining player base. Will they make everyone happy, not possible but in the end it will show commitment and should the fixes take time more people are likely to stick around until then. What should worry the white knights and Anet is the fact that the overall posting has dropped off both here and on Reddit and that is likely a direct indication that people have just quietly moved on now.

Vini, Vidi, Vici, Viridis…I came, I saw, I conquered…I got a green??

(edited by Vlad Morbius.1759)

Posted by: Raziel.4216

Raziel.4216

The fact that a lot of people have left

Source? with numbers please not bellyfeelings, all we know is that the game has at least 7m accounts and at least 3m paid ones, so please provide your source. “A lot of people” would’ve to be HUGE for what you said to be true, and it’s the basis of your whole argument.
Looking foward to it.

If Legend of Zelda came out tomorrow, the usual
forum dwellers would go nuts about the need to
“grind” to get exp, new swords, new potions etc

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

They are not ignoring us. They are reading every word. But it’s not a democracy, and nor should it be.

Posted by: Misguided.5139

Misguided.5139

I was still crashing, to begin with, but then what (I would assume) would have previously been crashes, turned into really long lag spikes (or whatever you would call a freeze-type situation, like that), but no crash.

I had that happen a few times as well, but not in the last couple of weeks.

Posted by: Kraggy.4169

Kraggy.4169

ok ok ok…….

I am talking to people who do not know a dawm thing about operating systems.

In modern os, process(programs) manage memory indirectly through a mmu.

The thing is that os designers want application writers have a easy time writing apps so they created a virtual address space. The mmu separate the address to pages (4k or whatever I do not know the amd64 page size) and maps it to memory.

Addresses on physical memory does not fragment. However, process memory can fragment regardless of size. Why? address are linear. Basically, os tell gw2 that it can use 0 to N memory addresses.

When you allocate two objects (XC) in virtual address space, it will end up something like this

XXCCC—
0 5 N

When you allocate the object X, you get

—CCC—
0 5 N

Well now 4 memory spaces is free

Now, you allocate a 3 space object A

AA(A/C)—

0 5 N

Boom, out of memory.

Memory fragmentation is real…..

I was likely working on Operating Systems before you were born, Sperry Univac Exec 8 in 1977 and IBM VS2 in 1976.

I’ll simply let you believe you understand how large-scale memory management works: you don’t if your example is how you think the issue works.

Posted by: Doam.8305

Doam.8305

Thought you quit.

You are not the community. You do not speak for it. Speak for yourself and understand that the segment of the community that is most unhappy at any given point is naturally the loudest.

I do agree that more communication would be welcomed.

That’s a flawed assessment those who are most unhappy are only vocal when they lack power. However this is a game and not reality and in this sort of environment those who are the most unhappy are in fact silent. Simply put people who complain either complain because they enjoy it or they complain to improve because they see the tide. People complaining for 3 years for mounts, templates, and hardcore content can be ignored they are not the majority and they will never leave.

Those who remain silent leave they log out or simply play less and thus even though they didn’t say a word in a sense there voices are the loudest. This is a product in a capitalistic society and we are consumers it’s not our place to be patient or adapt the burden is on the producer because we all have the power to simply quit and find a product that suits our needs.

Anet isn’t communicating and the voice of those whom have never spoken a single word can be heard in all aspects of the game currently.

Posted by: Raziel.4216

Raziel.4216

Anet isn’t communicating and the voice of those whom have never spoken a single word can be heard in all aspects of the game currently.

Wait what? This has already been addressed.
Your post makes unverifiable claims, how are we hearing this in all aspects of the game? please provide examples for every aspect of PvE, PvP, Guilds, RPing and WvW. Remember, every aspect.

From page 1.

Anet is talking to us, they’re just not talking to you specifically.

Did Anet address the complaints about elites specialization points needed? Yes.
DId Anet address the complaints about hero point difficult? Yes, they made changes.
Did Anet address the complaint about the poison gating in the HoT story? Yes.
Did they address the complaints about Fractal rewards? Yes.
Did they tell the WvW they’re still working on a solution but it’s coming? Yes.
Did they tell us more balance patches are coming and gave us a road map for the rest of the year? Yes.
Did they give us a 64 bit client for window’s users? Yes.

In fact, they’ve been communicating with us all along. They didn’t answer your particularly concern. Well you know, there are thousands of people with concerns. You’re just one of them. Anet answered a huge amount of stuff.

They’re not ignoring anyone.

If Legend of Zelda came out tomorrow, the usual
forum dwellers would go nuts about the need to
“grind” to get exp, new swords, new potions etc

Misguided.5139

I did say that more communication would be welcomed. You make an interesting point and while I might argue that the people you are referencing are no longer part of the community (which would be a terrible shame), I clearly painted with too broad a brush to try and make a point: that because there have been a bunch of complaint threads doesn’t mean that everyone, or even a majority, are unhappy. Not to dismiss what, at least in many cases, are valid complaints, just trying to keep things in perspective. It annoys me when posters use words like “we” and “us” as if everyone feels the same way they do. That’s all I was trying to get at and overreached to try and make that point.

Posted by: Gibson.4036

Gibson.4036

They have a company culture where they don’t like to communicate until they have landed on a solution. That’s why we get silence on a lot of things for a great deal of time until suddenly it’s, “We’re going to patch in this new fix!”

Misguided.5139

They have a company culture where they don’t like to communicate until they have landed on a solution. That’s why we get silence on a lot of things for a great deal of time until suddenly it’s, “We’re going to patch in this new fix!”

That’s understandable, but they have been known to say, “we are aware X is an issue and are working on possible solutions, but have no timetable for a fix”.

Lack of communication has bitten them on the behind in a number of ways regarding this expansion. They admitted as much with respect to the number of points required to unlock elite specs.

When significant numbers of players start to feel like they are being ignored (even if they truly aren’t), it starts to become a problem. Perception is reality.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

You cannot base the player population on what you see in the game nor what you see on the forums. At any given time, there are numerous servers for the maps which spreads out the playerbase. This still does need to be fixed as new servers are being created too soon.

The devs do not have the time to respond to each and every post despite what a certain player segment seems to feel they deserve.

For those who continuously post anti-Anet posts, why do you continue to play the game and add the vitriol posts creating a negative environment for others?

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

Exactly. Anet only cares about things that affect their bottom line.

Bug that gives players more loot than it’s supposed to? Fixed within hours.

Bug that robs players of loot they are supposed to receive? “We’re working on it…”

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

Posted by: ShelBlackblood.7826

ShelBlackblood.7826

Haha, this reminds me of my first car driving teacher (yes in Germany, we have those). He always said “Now we turn left” exactly(!) when we were at the street crossing. I almost got crazy when he was doing this in a crowded city.
Still feel bad for the car’s brakes though…

Hm… I can’t think of a way to conclude this metaphor, so I will just let it stand like this.

Oh, one more thing about “devs are ignoring” us c:
should I it should I not, aw nobody cares anyway
H…..o……w… ler…. what was this thing again? Huh? You tell me one dev replied almost a month ago about this on reddit? REDDIT??? B-but this is their forum! Why why why is this happening. So, was the weapon at least fixed after that? No? Oh.

loseridoit.2756

I was likely working on Operating Systems before you were born, Sperry Univac Exec 8 in 1977 and IBM VS2 in 1976.

I’ll simply let you believe you understand how large-scale memory management works: you don’t if your example is how you think the issue works.

large scale memory management algorithms take awhile to understand. I probably wont understand after a long time of reading.

Memory fragmentation is a much simpler concept. The fact that longer live objects to reside in memory is breaking up free space and lowering the amount large continuous free ram that is available for use. If the allocate tried to use it, there isnt a large enough block and it throw out of memory.

ahh. i mess up my explanation. When breaking up the virtual memory it creates gaps in physical memory which increases memory use for the same amount of ram. Soon or later oom because there isnt a large enough block

(edited by loseridoit.2756)

loseridoit.2756

Bug that robs players of loot they are supposed to receive? “We’re working on it…”

exploits has always been high priority for Anet to fix. Sometimes I kinda agree. It does feel like they are fixing exploits they made in every patch. while they keep leaving behind unintentional nerfs.

Posted by: Nausicca.6038

Nausicca.6038

exploits has always been high priority for Anet to fix. Sometimes I kinda agree. It does feel like they are fixing exploits they made in every patch. while they keep leaving behind unintentional nerfs.

We all remember the “golem bug” during the “golem week” in wvw and how they adressed it…
Like they always did with wvw. They ignored us.

VoxL, NSPPT

(edited by Nausicca.6038)

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

If you crash at DS just use 64 bit client. Dev respond more often on reddit because people there are not raging mobs who trying to burn down castle Arena net.

Are you saying that Reddit has zero negativity? GW2 Reddit posters never express concerns? Is that it?

And if Reddit is a naturally superior venue for comments and communication, why don’t they simply close down these forums, save the money it costs to moderate it, and use that exclusively?

Reddit does have negativity of course, but there are also positivity. Player help each other, guide, news, shout out, fan art. This place is pages of complaining after complaining, nothing good ever comes out of here.

Oh, come on. There are always threads from people thanking Anet and expressing their pleasure with the game. Plus, players do answer each other’s questions here and help one another. The only thing you mentioned that I don’t see a lot of on here is the fan art.

If you look at his post history, you have to go back 4-5 months to find a post that is not in the GW2 Discussion, Heart of Thorns or Fractals, Dungeons and Raids sub-forums. There was one post in Players Helping Players — but that was Vayne’s “I Want to Help” thread, which started in the HoT board.

If all you read are those three boards, you are going to see lots of complaints.

IndigoSundown.5419

For those who continuously post anti-Anet posts, why do you continue to play the game and add the vitriol posts creating a negative environment for others?

Anyone who posts on the forum — positive or negative — has a vested interest in the game. Perhaps the people you’re referring to believe the game would be great for them if only x were addressed. Even “I quit” posts are often really, “I’d really like you to fix/change the issue I’m posting as my reason for quitting.”

Then there’s trolling. I’m sure it happens frequently, but probably not as much as the above.

If you want a more positive board environment, go read Players Helping Players or Lore. The General Discussion and HoT boards are going to catch the complaint posts.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Anyone who posts on the forum — positive or negative — has a vested interest in the game. Perhaps the people you’re referring to believe the game would be great for them if only x were addressed. Even “I quit” posts are often really, “I’d really like you to fix/change the issue I’m posting as my reason for quitting.”

Then there’s trolling. I’m sure it happens frequently, but probably not as much as the above.

If you want a more positive board environment, go read Players Helping Players or Lore. The General Discussion and HoT boards are going to catch the complaint posts.

It’s only a handful of people really. It wasn’t a “everyone with a complaint shouldn’t complain” thing.

IndigoSundown.5419

It’s only a handful of people really. It wasn’t a “everyone with a complaint shouldn’t complain” thing.

OK, I see. Great hate is usually great love gone sour.

Posted by: JediYoda.1275

JediYoda.1275

Use Reddit if you want to be heard since the Dev’s post allot more over there than here.

“If only ANet had some kind of forum they could use to communicate with us……”
“ANet. They never miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity to not mess up.”
Mod “Posts created to cause unrest with unfounded claims are not allowed” lmao

Posted by: eldrin.6471

eldrin.6471

They gave us free gifts on the tp the last few days just to show us how much they care and appreciate our loyalty over the years.And don’t it just fill your heart with———-when you look at that merchant express and think of anet.

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

cough visual nerfs [merged] cough

They talked to us about visual nerfs. It was in the patch notes. In fact, they nerfed the visuals specifically due to long term complaints about noise in battles and not being able to see what’s going on.

The visual nerf complaints is a tiny minority of posts compared to the noise posts.

The visual nerf thread is now longer than other threads where anet have responded and it’s still growing when just a little communication from anet could soothe the savage beast. Curious, don’t you think?

I think it’s curious that you haven’t bothered to add up the dozens if not hundreds of threads over the years complaining about not being able to see. It’s been a major concern for a long long time.

And how many of the pages in that visual nerf thread are people arguing for it?

You’re missing my point. The subject of the thread is irrelevant. The issue is that a post is fermenting unneccesarily when a little management of customer expectations could guide it to a peaceful conclusion. (And as people have pointed out, the solution to the visual clutter was ham-fisted and arguably didn’t address the issue.)

Posted by: Swift.1930

Swift.1930

cough visual nerfs [merged] cough

They talked to us about visual nerfs. It was in the patch notes. In fact, they nerfed the visuals specifically due to long term complaints about noise in battles and not being able to see what’s going on.

The visual nerf complaints is a tiny minority of posts compared to the noise posts.

The visual nerf thread is now longer than other threads where anet have responded and it’s still growing when just a little communication from anet could soothe the savage beast. Curious, don’t you think?

I think it’s curious that you haven’t bothered to add up the dozens if not hundreds of threads over the years complaining about not being able to see. It’s been a major concern for a long long time.

And how many of the pages in that visual nerf thread are people arguing for it?

You’re missing my point. The subject of the thread is irrelevant. The issue is that a post is fermenting unneccesarily when a little management of customer expectations could guide it to a peaceful conclusion. (And as people have pointed out, the solution to the visual clutter was ham-fisted and arguably didn’t address the issue.)

Totally agree; messages from Anet employees make a huge difference around here. Usually they aren’t met by slander, either (but hey, that could easily be deleted/blocked/banned), and a lot of people sigh in relief when their complaints/concerns are noticed. It can bring big rant threads to calm conclusion.

Been there, punned that.

Ehmry Bay Guardian

(edited by Swift.1930)

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

To be fair, some of them may be on holiday/vacation. Big content releases are often stressful and overwork employees, and we’re hitting the Thanksgiving/Christmas cycle.

On top of that, what are they going to say? Most of the complaints I’ve read since HoT’s release (my own included) are about overarching system design and the general direction of the game as a whole. They could say “here’s what we intended” or “sorry it isn’t going the way you thought it would,” but if they have a vision and what they produced is in line with that vision, I don’t see them having much to say about it.

I don’t like some of the things Anet does, as a company (which is a gigantic understatement) but we need to remember that dev does not = god on a AAA game. A dev could be anyone from a guy who writes code off a task list, to a guy who is leading a team of developers.

And historically, Anet’s devs have been kept in silence for the most part, due to Anet’s tight-lip policy about development. I can’t imagine trying to say anything under that kind of watchful eye, especially if you’re a peon.

What we need is more blunt communication from somebody like Colin, of the “this is how it is” and “we have no plans for X at this time” variety. But I don’t know if Colin has that kind of bluntness in his genes, much less would get it approved by the people above him. For a time, we had Gaile stepping in and saying stuff, but the communication from her seems more sparse of late. Not sure if due to holidays or they clamped down even more on communication again.

Or heck, maybe they’re pulling her into other projects, so she doesn’t have as much time for it. Companies are like that sometimes.

Or words to that effect.

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

My focus was in information systems, not operating systems, so please correct me if I’m wrong.

To my understanding the OS is handling memory allocation, but it’s the program that dictates the lifespan of each asset in the allocation, no? Fragmentation is caused if you have assets of different lifespans in the same heap, but isn’t that the fault of the program for not preloading longer lifespan assets so they’re assigned to the same heaps? Or what about the possibility that assets that should have shorter lifespans are being kept around too long?

Posted by: Swift.1930

Swift.1930

To be fair, some of them may be on holiday/vacation. Big content releases are often stressful and overwork employees, and we’re hitting the Thanksgiving/Christmas cycle.

On top of that, what are they going to say? Most of the complaints I’ve read since HoT’s release (my own included) are about overarching system design and the general direction of the game as a whole. They could say “here’s what we intended” or “sorry it isn’t going the way you thought it would,” but if they have a vision and what they produced is in line with that vision, I don’t see them having much to say about it.

I don’t like some of the things Anet does, as a company (which is a gigantic understatement) but we need to remember that dev does not = god on a AAA game. A dev could be anyone from a guy who writes code off a task list, to a guy who is leading a team of developers.

And historically, Anet’s devs have been kept in silence for the most part, due to Anet’s tight-lip policy about development. I can’t imagine trying to say anything under that kind of watchful eye, especially if you’re a peon.

What we need is more blunt communication from somebody like Colin, of the “this is how it is” and “we have no plans for X at this time” variety. But I don’t know if Colin has that kind of bluntness in his genes, much less would get it approved by the people above him. For a time, we had Gaile stepping in and saying stuff, but the communication from her seems more sparse of late. Not sure if due to holidays or they clamped down even more on communication again.

Or heck, maybe they’re pulling her into other projects, so she doesn’t have as much time for it. Companies are like that sometimes.

Most likely it’s a holiday thing; she is listed as the Forum Communications Team Lead, which pretty much means her main responsibility is responding to/consolidating feedback from (or having a team do that for her) hooligans like us who type stuff all the time. Gotta say that she probably earned the break the minute she stepped into the forums, haha. Okay, maybe not all of us are that bad. =P

Been there, punned that.

Ehmry Bay Guardian

Posted by: Tawniey.3796

Tawniey.3796

If you crash at DS just use 64 bit client.

Sadly the 64 bit client doesn’t help everyone as people are still reporting crashes when they use it. It’s a memory usage problem, all the 64 bit client does is delay crashing by giving the game access to more memory to flounder in, so it’s more a band-aid than an actual solution.

I’ve crashed at least 6 times after switching to the beta client. 3 times at the end of the mouth fight, 2x approaching the towers and once literally on a dead map harvesting flax and pods when I set down a TP (which btw, was a total waste of that tp because it disappeared when I crashed).

This isn’t just me either. All of my guildmates have reported in guild chat that even after the beta 64bit client they don’t go into DS because of crashes. Anet needs to address this, and they just aren’t.

Labjax.2465

Most likely it’s a holiday thing; she is listed as the Forum Communications Team Lead, which pretty much means her main responsibility is responding to/consolidating feedback from (or having a team do that for her) hooligans like us who type stuff all the time. Gotta say that she probably earned the break the minute she stepped into the forums, haha. Okay, maybe not all of us are that bad. =P

Probably. She was support team, I believe, prior to getting the forum communications title though, so it’s hard to say for sure what all responsibilities they put on her. Forum communications may be a sometimes role and her role may be shifting over time as well.

Office politics, changing priorities, and all that.

Yeah, there is a lot of negativity to take in. Can’t say I’d jump at the job. Would certainly be a unique kind of challenge though. Part of me would want to try that sort of job, just to see what kind of mood and presentation I could sow among forummers from that kind of position.

Or words to that effect.

Misguided.5139

Probably. She was support team, I believe, prior to getting the forum communications title though, so it’s hard to say for sure what all responsibilities they put on her. Forum communications may be a sometimes role and her role may be shifting over time as well.

Office politics, changing priorities, and all that.

Yeah, there is a lot of negativity to take in. Can’t say I’d jump at the job. Would certainly be a unique kind of challenge though. Part of me would want to try that sort of job, just to see what kind of mood and presentation I could sow among forummers from that kind of position.

I think the majority of posters just want to feel like they matter as customers and that the things that are important to them are also important to the Dev team, even if the players don’t always get exactly what they want.

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

I think the majority of posters just want to feel like they matter as customers and that the things that are important to them are also important to the Dev team, even if the players don’t always get exactly what they want.

Which is really funny given the MASSIVE differences in developer and player concerns. They are really two almost completely non-intersecting sets.

The game client constantly blowing up being one of those places where they do overlap, of course .

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Labjax.2465

Oh, I agree. And I’m not sure that Anet management (or whoever it is who makes the calls about communication) understands this, or cares if they do understand it.

Or words to that effect.

Posted by: Bubi.7942

Bubi.7942

If you crash at DS just use 64 bit client. Dev respond more often on reddit because people there are not raging mobs who trying to burn down castle Arena net.

The irony is that Arenanet self created that environment with their refusal to communication. And it seems that they understood that they can´t fool the people here any longer.

Point proven, people here are just so much more toxic and complain about every little thing in GW2 since day 1 of launch. I mean if some new player just read forum and don’t play the game they would think GW2 is one of the worst game ever made.

So the awnser to critisism is to ignore it and go to a shiny happy place? That’s some messed up thinking right there.

What if Reddit also gets “toxic”? Just move on to the next platform?

I mean, why not just have a closed circle for Anet, where they can pat eachother on the back.

Posted by: Exotrax.4207

Exotrax.4207

If you crash at DS just use 64 bit client.

Sadly the 64 bit client doesn’t help everyone as people are still reporting crashes when they use it. It’s a memory usage problem, all the 64 bit client does is delay crashing by giving the game access to more memory to flounder in, so it’s more a band-aid than an actual solution.

That’s not true ….I had lots of crashing issue with the 32bit client and since I switch to the 64bit ….NEVER had a crash again.

Funny part is that I was troubleshooting with an Anet GM , he made me send many report trying disabling Avirus and other application , after 4 days I realizing I was going no where , start read forum and found out the solution on my own lol

Posted by: FlashGamer.4017

FlashGamer.4017

Seems to be the environment here, they post every few days on reddit…

Posted by: Monk Tank.5897

Monk Tank.5897

Ya that’s great that you never crash on the 64. But its the unstable FPS and Ping that drove me to wiping my SSD and starting over. I went back to 32, forgot the expansion even happened, and haven’t been happier. I will download the 64 again when its out of beta. I did do TD last night with a friend and a full squad and had zero issues.

GreyWolf.8670

The irony is that Arenanet self created that environment with their refusal to communication. And it seems that they understood that they can´t fool the people here any longer.

Point proven, people here are just so much more toxic and complain about every little thing in GW2 since day 1 of launch. I mean if some new player just read forum and don’t play the game they would think GW2 is one of the worst game ever made.

MMOs have to be in continuous development if they want to attract players and retain them. Complaints are not only not toxic, they’re vital. If you don’t let your customers know what you’re doing they start to leave.

Beyond the initial purchase, which probably barely goes to cover the development costs, their income depends on people spending money either by maintaining a subscription or buying items from a cash shop. If a player isn’t playing because they aren’t enjoying the game then they have no need for new outfits, boosts, gold, or whatever. That’s income directly lost.