Change Gliders to FULL flight.

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Apolo.5942

Apolo.5942

Traversing Maguma is a pain in the kitten , please make the 5th glider mastery to allow you to get full flight capability, not just gliding.

The term Exploit means nothing in GW2 –
Vials Maize Balm Exploit(Halloween) 2014
Locked out of JP (Wintersday) 2015

Posted by: Zandam.4693

Zandam.4693

Dude, stop complaining. It is not that hard…

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

The design is all about the slow glide down. They don’t want full flight in the game. Wouldn’t it let people access places not designed to be reached? Same way gliding at all in core maps would be a technical nightmare?

I like it as it is; once you have Gliding 4 you won’t fall out of the sky due to endurance failing and you can generally find updrafts to get more height.

Posted by: Mez Koo.9510

Mez Koo.9510

I don’t get your complaint.

But I do agree I was a little disappointed when I got “leaning techniques” I was expecting some sort of flight (like Arkham City). But it’d probably be to complicated in the current engine.

Posted by: CindyKa.6137

CindyKa.6137

And where/what is the source of energy to maintain flight. It’s called a glider for a reason.

Posted by: Apolo.5942

Apolo.5942

And where/what is the source of energy to maintain flight. It’s called a glider for a reason.

Yes because it has no propulsion, not because it cant gain altitude, its a glider not a parachute.

The term Exploit means nothing in GW2 –
Vials Maize Balm Exploit(Halloween) 2014
Locked out of JP (Wintersday) 2015

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

::turns to the nearest asura::

“You know, a charr told me it was impossible to come up with a propulsion system light enough and small enough to use to make gliders work for full flight.”

::does the same thing to the nearest Iron Legion, saying an asura said it::

There. Problem will be solved by morning.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: Mez Koo.9510

Mez Koo.9510

Yes because it has no propulsion, not because it cant gain altitude, its a glider not a parachute.

This

Posted by: Swift.1930

Swift.1930

“You know, a charr told me it was impossible to come up with a propulsion system light enough and small enough to use to make gliders work for full flight.”

Hah! Best answer. Next living world update there’ll be an argument between the Charr and Asura about patenting. Followed by flying in the update afterward!

Been there, punned that.

Ehmry Bay Guardian

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

It’s not an engine limitation. It’s a design choice.

Giving people gliders creates controllable air mobility.

Giving people helicopters and airplanes gives them uncontrollable air mobility.

They specifically went with gliding so that you can’t use it to skip past certain roadblocks and generally just fly around the map, only swooping down to loot a chest or do an event.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

Posted by: Merlinus.1765

Merlinus.1765

Aion – it’s free to play.

Necromancer love: because you can’t spell
“necromancer” without “romance.”
NSP | Os Senior Officer | www.osguild.org

Posted by: Psientist.6437

Psientist.6437

Why can’t I have glider to glider combat?!?!
Why can’t I fish from my glider?!?

Hmmm, meant those as sarcastic but they both sound really cool….

“No! You can’t eat the ones that talk!
They’re special! They got aspirations.”
Finn the human

Posted by: Crinn.7864

Crinn.7864

This

Gaining altitude without a source of propulsion results in a loss of airspeed unless you have some alternative source such as a updraft. Loss of airspeed invariably results in loss of lift which if not corrected results in a stall. (and subsequent fall from the sky.)

Besides HoT gliders are closer to a wingsuit or hang-glider than any type if gliding aircraft. So yes they are closer to parachutes than gliders.

By physics, HoT gliders don’t even make sense because you start your glide from a standstill jump with no airspeed. If we wanted to be realistic, we should have to drop a few hundred feet before gaining enough speed to pull up and being gliding.
Heck that’s not even going into the fact that the basic glider isn’t even a airfoil.

Sanity is for the weak minded.
YouTube

(edited by Crinn.7864)

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

sigh

“give them an inch, they will demand a mile”

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Devildoc.6721

Devildoc.6721

Traversing Maguma is a pain in the kitten , please make the 5th glider mastery to allow you to get full flight capability, not just gliding.

I like the current gliding system once fully mastered just as it is. I don’t want straight up flying mounts that have full control because then exploration has ZERO challenge left to it, but limited flight the way it is with updrafts and leylines to supplement it, is very fun and I enjoy it a lot.

The only thing I’d change is make a setting so that automatic deployment of gliders was disabled so that I could make short jumps for jumping puzzles without my glider coming out and screwing it up. Sometimes it happens even when I just tap space.

Zapp – 80 Asura Afromancer

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

Given the strict “no mounts” stance it would be somewhat ironic if we suddenly had private jets.

Posted by: Loli Ruri.8307

Loli Ruri.8307

sigh

“give them an inch, they will demand a mile”

Pretty much on the money.

Intel Core i7 4790K @4.7 GHz, 32 GB 2133 MHz DDR3.
MSI GTX 1080 Sea Hawk EK X 2xSLI 2025 / 11016 MHz, liquid cooling custom loop.
Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB. HTC Vive.

Posted by: Warobaz.9543

Warobaz.9543

Hah! Best answer. Next living world update there’ll be an argument between the Charr and Asura about patenting. Followed by flying in the update afterward!

Even better, we’ll have to vote which tech we’ll use, with little badges to show support, like the Kiel/Gnashblade election system.

Norn to be Alive [NtbA]

Posted by: ZeftheWicked.3076

ZeftheWicked.3076

Full flight would lack challenge. With glider jumping puzzles are still relevant, updrafts serve as mini air jumping puzzles, leyline gliding has a point etc.

sides take a look at what happened to pact fleet. You don’t wanna stay airborne for too long in heart of the maguuma…

Posted by: Pandabro.8743

Pandabro.8743

No god no. Full flight would suck all the enjoyment out of the system. We’ve seen what full flight does in other MMO’s, it just makes everyone sit around on their “flyer” and skip over tons of content.

Posted by: Sparrowlicious.3890

Sparrowlicious.3890

Well, this isn’t WoW. (Thank the six.)
Actually, I feel it’s more of a challenge when you have to look for updrafts and/or places to land. So yeah, gliding is actually pretty fun.

Posted by: Sirbeaumerdier.3740

Sirbeaumerdier.3740

Wow… and here I am thinking we have way too many way points to make this world feel as big as it actually is.

Posted by: Bruno.3812

Bruno.3812

While flying might be fun, personally I think gliding is a better system. I’ve read way too many complaints on the WoW forums about people who fly everywhere and use that to cherry pick things to do and to trivialize content. They fly in, land, do whatever they landed for at that one spot then fly off and go to the next spot. They never interact with the game except at those specific spots. This effectively removes players from the landscape that non flying players are moving through and makes the map more empty.

Gliding allows you to skip some things, but it also requires you to look for updraft and forces you to eventually land and stay on the ground for a while. While you are there you are interacting with others and moving with them. It doesn’t empty the map of higher level players the way flying does.

Posted by: Zodryn.4216

Zodryn.4216

I would like to see lean techniques granting the ability to dive and gain altitude by pulling up out of a dive instead of just going faster/slower. Might be a bit difficult with the physics engine though.

Posted by: Mega Skeleton.8259

Mega Skeleton.8259

Well, the entire expansion was designed with gliding, not full flight in mind, so no. Also it would likely open the maps up to a lot of areas to break or cause unintended consequences.

Plus, Gliding is what I think all masteries should aspire to be, instead of just arbitrary keys. Gliding is one of the few masteries that gives you enhancements on a way to interact wiht the world overtime, and takes not only the mastery, but skill of using that mastery to succeed. As opposed to other lines where its just “oh you can stand in poison, or talk to this vendor now” that are definitely just XP gates.

[EG] is recruiting!

Posted by: vesica tempestas.1563

vesica tempestas.1563

Full flight – dear god no, just look at the mess it made of WOW later expansions. Gliding is a nice compromise, and makes movement meaningful, i.e every event doesn’t get drowned in a swarm of eager farmers, think about it.

“Trying to please everyone would not only be challenging
but would also result in a product that might not satisfy anyone”- Roman Pichler, Strategize