Clarify Revenant mechanic...?

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Tai Kratos.3247

Tai Kratos.3247

Let me see if I interpreted something the same way you guys did…

When they say that the legend you channel changes your utility skills, does that mean it simply changes to a Great Dwarf version of skill A, or a Unyielding version of skill A, not that your skills are tied to your legend like a kit or weapon swap. Right?

I just wasn’t quite clear on the wording, and thought I’d check what other people thought.

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

From what I understood, the utility skills are bound to the legend you pick.
So lets say you swap from Great Dwarf to Unyielding, your skills 6~9 + elite will change, but the weapons will remain the same.
Imagine the Revenant’ legends as the opposite of Ele’s attunements, instead of changing your weapon skills you change your utilities.

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)

Posted by: BrunoBRS.5178

BrunoBRS.5178

no, it works like this (right now, apparently it’s still subject to change):

“dwarf stance” will have dwarf utilities, and “demon stance” will have a whole other set of completely different demon utilities.

they’re not like glyphs, that change property based on what you’re attuned to.

LegendaryMythril/Zihark Darshell

Posted by: Argon.1563

Argon.1563

From what I understood, the utility skills are bound to the legend you pick.
So lets say you swap from Great Dwarf to Unyielding, your skills 6~9 + elite will change, but the weapons will remain the same.
Imagine the Revenant’ legends as the opposite of Ele’s attunements, instead of changing your weapon skills you change your utilities.

no, it works like this (right now, apparently it’s still subject to change):

“dwarf stance” will have dwarf utilities, and “demon stance” will have a whole other set of completely different demon utilities.

they’re not like glyphs, that change property based on what you’re attuned to.

Neither of you are right. We have only been told it changes out 6-0 skills, and nothing more. We haven’t been told they function like glyphs, we haven’t been told they change completely. Roy even said its not something they’ve decided on yet. Stop filling the forums with conjecture, and wait until tonight’s stream, when we get some actual information.

Posted by: Caeledh.5437

Caeledh.5437

Neither of you are right.

No I’m pretty sure Bruno is right.

Posted by: Alberel Leonhart.9640

Alberel Leonhart.9640

If it does work like that though then Revenants would have no real build options at all beyond weapon and legend. Your bar would literally just be weapon on the left and legend on the right. It defeats the entire point of having slotted skills.

Admittedly it would make Revs incredibly easy to balance in comparison to the other professions… maybe that could be why. :/

Posted by: Grimwolf.7163

Grimwolf.7163

If it does work like that though then Revenants would have no real build options at all beyond weapon and legend. Your bar would literally just be weapon on the left and legend on the right. It defeats the entire point of having slotted skills.

Admittedly it would make Revs incredibly easy to balance in comparison to the other professions… maybe that could be why. :/

I think it does work that way, though it’d be inconceivably stupid.

BrunoBRS.5178

i’m not saying i like it, but that’s what we know it is right now. in fact, in the main revenant thread, you’ll see a lot of posts (mine included) discussing alternatives to the (red-post-confirmed) current system of “you don’t get to pick utilities, they’re bound to the legend” that don’t hurt the idea of legends playing a major role on your utilities.

making all revenant utilities glorified glyphs is out of question, for the record.

Posted by: Muchacho.2390

Muchacho.2390

i’m not saying i like it, but that’s what we know it is right now. in fact, in the main revenant thread, you’ll see a lot of posts (mine included) discussing alternatives to the (red-post-confirmed) current system of “you don’t get to pick utilities, they’re bound to the legend” that don’t hurt the idea of legends playing a major role on your utilities.

making all revenant utilities glorified glyphs is out of question, for the record.

The red post also said that this is not necessarily the final version.^^

Posted by: psizone.8437

psizone.8437

The skills on the right half of your bar are tied to the legend which you are currently invoking.

Lets see if I can phrase this unambiguously:

When I am invoking Bob the Mighty, will I have a Bob-themed pool of skills to choose from when filling out my right-hand tray, or does channeling Bob the Mighty give me an absolutely specific set of 5 skills without variation from any other Revenant invoking Bob?

I realize the answer may be different for buttons 6 and 0 than it is for buttons 7, 8, & 9.

That is not set in stone yet and something we are deciding still.

Brotherhood of Blub [blub]

BrunoBRS.5178

yep. which is why i haven’t given up hope and there’s such an extensive discussion on it in that thread. but it IS the current iteration of the profession.

Posted by: VocalThought.9835

VocalThought.9835

It looked to me, initially that each Legend would impact utility skills like Elementalist Attunements effects would be on glyphs. That would allow you to pick what ever skills you want while having two different effects available for each skill based on the Two Legends you have to switch between.

But, it clearly states that each legend will determine what utility skills you have in your skill bar. This will allow you to swap utility skills when you switch between legends. The energy bar is needed to fuel you skills and when you switch legends the energy bar will be start at 50%. Each Utility skills will use the energy bar differently. Some will use different amounts of energy and some will drain energy while being toggled on.

This mechanic will not allow you to pick your skills directly. I’m assuming the different Trait Lines will cater to the different legends that you can pick from. Clearly the Trait Line will focus on the recharge time on switching between legends and they may have traits that grants bonus or effects when you switch from Legend to Legend.

Caeledh.5437

I think maybe you’ve misinterpreted what they and others here have said.

It’s possible each legend’s utility skills are pre-determined and there’s no choice. Though there are little change-skill up arrows above the utility skills on the revenant ui. That suggests there could be a pool of utility skills for each legend and you have some choice. Or it might just mean you only have 3 and can only choose where they go on the hotbar.

It’s not 100% crystal clear but my reading of dev statements inclines me to believe the latter.

Either way I see your point. But think about this. How much freedom is there really for existing professions? The developers have designed traits to match up clearly with certain utility and weapon skills. Sure there’s a lot of theoretical freedom but assuming you want an optimal build (most do) then freedom starts to vanish.

Theoretically the freedom revenants have which other professions don’t is in not having (or at least having fewer) cooldowns. So that means you don’t have to use a particular utility every x seconds to make the most of its cooldown timer. In fact you could ignore it entirely and just use a different utility more. Or even ignore the legend utilities and just use weapon abilities more.

So maybe less freedom in build option but more in how they actually play.

VocalThought.9835

The “Professional Trait Line” will be for recharge time between legends, I assume.

Posted by: Ariete.6509

Ariete.6509

I believe the comparison with atunements has its ground but it lacks a pinch of toolbelt skills. As in legends would enhance slotted utility skills.

What I understood was that there three states: channelling legend A, channelling legend B (whatever both may be) AND a state when you’re not channeling neither and thus using the utilities/elite/heal you had picked.

Still my conjecture nonetheless

VocalThought.9835

yep. which is why i haven’t given up hope and there’s such an extensive discussion on it in that thread. but it IS the current iteration of the profession.

I think this is a great idea, because it fits with concept of communing with legends. The skills are a reflection of what the Legend can do and we just tap into their power. So if each legend have different skills, we have to be mindful of which legends we can commune with.

Now due to the user not having any flexibility in skills, this may be a problem in being unique. For one, the first 5 skills are determine by your weapon choice. The next 5 skills are determined by you legend choice. The only real choice you have in standing out of the crowd is in what traits you pick and how you look.

(edited by VocalThought.9835)

BrunoBRS.5178

The “Professional Trait Line” will be for recharge time between legends, I assume.

yeah, i think that would be the most balanced class mechanic they could tie to the trait line. energy generation (or starting energy on swap) are both too strong to be influenced by trait points, though i expect plenty of traits that affect those (not just “generate an extra 3 energy per second”, but stuff like “upkeep skills consume 2 less energy per second” )

Caeledh.5437

What I understood was that there three states: channelling legend A, channelling legend B (whatever both may be) AND a state when you’re not channeling neither and thus using the utilities/elite/heal you had picked.

No that’s definitely wrong. Have a read of the polygon and mmorpg.com articles.

Caeledh.5437

yeah, i think that would be the most balanced class mechanic they could tie to the trait line. energy generation (or starting energy on swap) are both too strong to be influenced by trait points, though i expect plenty of traits that affect those (not just “generate an extra 3 energy per second”, but stuff like “upkeep skills consume 2 less energy per second” )

They’re not different.

5 base regen per second. 50% bar refill on swap. Assuming the standard 10 second cooldown on swapping legends (as per weapons) then by swapping legends as often as possible after burning through all of your energy, you double your energy regen rate.

A trait line which reduces legend swap cooldown also effectively boosts energy regen rate. Not that I think it was a bad idea. Just saying this is a false distinction.

Posted by: SnubdubLuskon.1795

SnubdubLuskon.1795

It’s possible each legend’s utility skills are pre-determined and there’s no choice. Though there are little change-skill up arrows above the utility skills on the revenant ui. That suggests there could be a pool of utility skills for each legend and you have some choice. Or it might just mean you only have 3 and can only choose where they go on the hotbar.

I’m pretty sure at current the arrows are there so you can move the skills to where you prefer them. Like if you wanted your 7 utility to be at 9 instead. This seems like the smartest conclusion considering they said they were still deciding whether or not Legends will have a pool of skills to choose from.

VocalThought.9835

I believe the comparison with atunements has its ground but it lacks a pinch of toolbelt skills. As in legends would enhance slotted utility skills.

I don’t think so. Looking at the image of the mechanic, it looks like your either communing with one legend or the other. They also clearly show that you toggle between legends using the F1. If you’re thinking that you would cycle through from Legend A, Legend B, then no Legend, why wouldn’t they just have a F1, F2, and F3 respectively.

VocalThought.9835

I’m pretty sure at current the arrows are there so you can move the skills to where you prefer them. Like if you wanted your 7 utility to be at 9 instead. This seems like the smartest conclusion considering they said they were still deciding whether or not Legends will have a pool of skills to choose from.

Maybe it’s possible that each legend will have access to certain utilities, but not all; the utilities do work like glyphs, or you can save the utilities you want to each legend and swap the load out when you switch legends, or all of the above.

Now I’m more curious!

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

Neither of you are right. We have only been told it changes out 6-0 skills, and nothing more. We haven’t been told they function like glyphs, we haven’t been told they change completely. Roy even said its not something they’ve decided on yet. Stop filling the forums with conjecture, and wait until tonight’s stream, when we get some actual information.

How is what I said different from your?

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)

SnubdubLuskon.1795

Maybe it’s possible that each legend will have access to certain utilities, but not all; the utilities do work like glyphs, or you can save the utilities you want to each legend and swap the load out when you switch legends, or all of the above.

Now I’m more curious!

Each Legend is going to have its own unique skills tailored to that Legend. I’m not quite sure why people are so adamant on believing they’ll work like Glyphs…

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

Let me see if I interpreted something the same way you guys did…

When they say that the legend you channel changes your utility skills, does that mean it simply changes to a Great Dwarf version of skill A, or a Unyielding version of skill A, not that your skills are tied to your legend like a kit or weapon swap. Right?

I just wasn’t quite clear on the wording, and thought I’d check what other people thought.

I took it to either mean that Revenant is an Elementalist, only they change 6-0 rather than 1-5, OR each Legend actually have a unique cluster of utility skills associated with it. I sort of hope it will be latter half elementalist.

I am also not talking Glyphs here, I mean fully different skills. Hopefully a selection though, even if it’s a smaller selection than would normally be the case.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

(edited by Kal Spiro.9745)

VocalThought.9835

Now I’m more curious!

Each Legend is going to have its own unique skills tailored to that Legend. I’m not quite sure why people are so adamant on believing they’ll work like Glyphs…

Because no one knows… We all just guessing off of limited information. If you have any information that they don’t, please share.

SnubdubLuskon.1795

Now I’m more curious!

Because no one knows… We all just guessing off of limited information. If you have any information that they don’t, please share.

We do know, people just aren’t giving it enough thought to put 2 and 2 together.

“Each time you swap between these legendary figures, your entire skillsets will change, as will your UI, and the spirits your harnessing themselves will talk to you like you’re actually possessing them.

Each Legend will bring a different playstyle to the Rev: with Jalis being a more tanky sort of build and Mallyx acting as more of a condition damage and condition spreading build. Each Legend will have its own theme this way, but Jon and Roy both noted that this doesn’t mean you’ll have dozens of Legends to choose from. Rather they want them to feel distinctive, so I’d be willing to bet on a handful more than a bushel being added."

-* The swapping of the Legends is where the actual strategy of weapon swapping will come into play. Think of it like playing an Engineer or an Elementalist. With those classes you swap kits or elements.*

(edited by SnubdubLuskon.1795)

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

Now I’m more curious!

We do know, people just aren’t giving it enough thought to put 2 and 2 together.

“Each time you swap between these legendary figures, your entire skillsets will change, as will your UI, and the spirits your harnessing themselves will talk to you like you’re actually possessing them.

Each Legend will bring a different playstyle to the Rev: with Jalis being a more tanky sort of build and Mallyx acting as more of a condition damage and condition spreading build. Each Legend will have its own theme this way, but Jon and Roy both noted that this doesn’t mean you’ll have dozens of Legends to choose from. Rather they want them to feel distinctive, so I’d be willing to bet on a handful more than a bushel being added."

-* The swapping of the Legends is where the actual strategy of weapon swapping will come into play. Think of it like playing an Engineer or an Elementalist. With those classes you swap kits or elements.*

I also don’t understand why people got hung up on Glyphs. This is definitely not describing Glyphs which all do basically the same thing, just with different specific effects. That’s why I’m saying Utility Elementalist. I still feel like Elementalist is a relevant comparison, but not for Glyphs.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

SnubdubLuskon.1795

There, POI showed us. It’s not anything like Glyphs. Mallyx and Jalis has different utility skills. Can we please stop mentioning Glyphs now?

Posted by: knightmawk.5673

knightmawk.5673

I still dont know what to think about the Rev, entirely because of this. Im wondering if there will be a handful of utility and heal skills for each stance, or if maybe when you unlock a single skill it actually unlocks 4 skills (im also thinking there will be 4 legends at launch), or maybe just each legend has a locked skill bar.

The last way sounds the most boring, but it also doesnt make sense to me because it removes unlocking skills and skill-points become meaningless. But I guess you could use skillpoints to unlock legends and there might be more legends then I was thinking. It also pretty much completely removes racial skills.

But then unlocking more utility skill slots as you level and stuff makes less sense. So really I have no idea what to think about the Revanent. My one glimmer of hope is that each of the skills on the bar had an arrow on the top, so either thats a UI relic or there is still hope for multiple skills to chose from per legend.

(edited by knightmawk.5673)

Posted by: Torsailr.8456

Torsailr.8456

From what they said the utility skills are locked to the legend and there will be enough legends to match with your playing style.

Posted by: Daegony.3604

Daegony.3604

I don’t see having a set skillbar per legend as being a problem. I mean, thinking about it makes it a really versatile profession. Any other profession have currently a fixed set per fight, that’s 1 heal. 3 utilities and 1 elite. The Revenant has 2 heals, 6 utilities and 2 elites on a given fight that uses a manageable resource wich gives it a lot of thinking before using a skill or risking to run out too quickly on energy. Having a fixed set of skills per legend is great for devs to make strongly sinergetic skills and to me seems a fair counter to the perk of having more utilities, heals and elites in a combat situation. Also, as they’ve shown on the stream, his trait lines are really tied up to a legend and making said stance even more sinergetic and powerful. I’m not saying that’s a bad thing having a pool per legend to choose from, but it’s not horrible not having one.

Caeledh.5437

From what they said the utility skills are locked to the legend and there will be enough legends to match with your playing style.

There aren’t going to be a lot. I wouldn’t expect many more than four. And because of the energy mechanics the by design optimal play style is jumping back and forth between two as frequently as possible.

Torsailr.8456

I don’t see having a set skillbar per legend as being a problem. I mean, thinking about it makes it a really versatile profession. Any other profession have currently a fixed set per fight, that’s 1 heal. 3 utilities and 1 elite. The Revenant has 2 heals, 6 utilities and 2 elites on a given fight that uses a manageable resource wich gives it a lot of thinking before using a skill or risking to run out too quickly on energy. Having a fixed set of skills per legend is great for devs to make strongly sinergetic skills and to me seems a fair counter to the perk of having more utilities, heals and elites in a combat situation. Also, as they’ve shown on the stream, his trait lines are really tied up to a legend and making said stance even more sinergetic and powerful. I’m not saying that’s a bad thing having a pool per legend to choose from, but it’s not horrible not having one.

In general I prefer the options that come with a trait pool simply because I often have a hard time finding skills that fit how I’d like to play. But you are correct, by having a locked skill set then they can optimize it to create a lot of synergy.

knightmawk.5673

There aren’t going to be a lot. I wouldn’t expect many more than four. And because of the energy mechanics the by design optimal play style is jumping back and forth between two as frequently as possible.

I remember them saying a while ago that you can equip two legends at a time to swap between. So the total number of legends doesnt really matter. What makes me think there will be only 4 is the trait lines they showed off, it seemed like there was one for the profession in general and one for each legend, so 5 trait lines and 4 legends sounds about right.

Torsailr.8456

Having a legend tied to a specific trait line and only that legend tied to it will effectively mean there can ONLY be 5 legends. That is a very limiting design to take and from what they’ve implied today I don’t think that’s the case.

Posted by: Duke Blackrose.4981

Duke Blackrose.4981

There are merits to that too, however. The “all or nothing” nature of Legends makes individual legend choices incredibly important.

Couple that with the traits, which, based on the preview, were some of the most playstyle-defining traits of any profession. They stated “this one is geared towards Mallyx and this one is geared towards Jalis,” but I was primarily seeing core, universally-useful traits that would really give Revenant players a lot of build flexibility.

Posted by: silvermember.8941

silvermember.8941

I remember them saying a while ago that you can equip two legends at a time to swap between. So the total number of legends doesnt really matter. What makes me think there will be only 4 is the trait lines they showed off, it seemed like there was one for the profession in general and one for each legend, so 5 trait lines and 4 legends sounds about right.

Someone doesn’t know who traits work. They are usually 4 traits that reflect the favor of the class and one class mechanic trait. Also why would Revenant only have four trait lines? Or less you think Arenanet will give them less trait points as well?

Revenant is just a new class, it isn’t anymore special.

As u know im pro. ~Tomonobu Itagaki

This is an mmo forum, if someone isn’t whining chances are the game is dead.

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

What did you all learn from the video?

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

The reveal today kind of made it look like there are only going to be four, one for each trait path and then the fifth profession mechanic trait path. Which, is, technically the same amount of utility skills that most of the professions have. But I kind of hoped they would be getting more utility skills because of their utility swapping mechanic similar to how the ele has more weapon skills because of its weapon swapping mechanic.

(edited by Conncept.7638)

Posted by: Morfedel.4165

Morfedel.4165

I suspect this is it, as I just made a topic about this.

Posted by: DanteZero.9736

DanteZero.9736

The reveal today kind of made it look like there are only going to be four, one for each trait path and then the fifth profession mechanic trait path. Which, is, technically the same amount of utility skills that most of the professions have. But I kind of hoped they would be getting more utility skills because of their utility swapping mechanic similar to how the ele has more weapon skills because of its weapon swapping mechanic.

That’s true, however, take note that some traits are worded a bit openly such as stating that you have to be in a “legendary demon stance” for it to take effect. As far as I’m concerned, that means there might be more than one legendary demon stance. If there’s more than one stance of a specific type, there might be more than one of each type of stance.

Posted by: Tseison.4659

Tseison.4659

Just taking a look at the PoI and I’m not as impressed yet. Still waiting to see more info on other weapons. A question I do have is, since they name off 3 traits so far, does that leave 2 left for just 2 more legends? So possibly Shiro and another? (Hopefully Master Togo, even if his trait line is healing. I’d just like a pure ritualist inspired trait line & legend).

Posted by: Simon.3794

Simon.3794

Just taking a look at the PoI and I’m not as impressed yet. Still waiting to see more info on other weapons. A question I do have is, since they name off 3 traits so far, does that leave 2 left for just 2 more legends? So possibly Shiro and another? (Hopefully Master Togo, even if his trait line is healing. I’d just like a pure ritualist inspired trait line & legend).

what i think would be dps, condi, tank, support plus last line for class mech

Posted by: Scoobaniec.9561

Scoobaniec.9561

“Using a legendary demon stance….” suggests that there will be something else outside of Mallyx. Maybe not at release but in future who knows..

Im curious if support will be a legend that focuses on cleaning conditions;

-X+Jalix combo for bunker builds
-Mallyx+X once you have to many conditions on yourself to get rid of them.

Posted by: Simon.3794

Simon.3794

“Using a legendary demon stance….” suggests that there will be something else outside of Mallyx. Maybe not at release but in future who knows..

not sure why would you think that there will be other demon stance, using a legendary demon stance is a mallyx line trait which affects every mallyx skill, just like how elementalist traits work, when swap to air, damage increase, when swap to earth w/e you gain w/e.

or like use shout remove condition..use meditation gain fury.

Posted by: Scoobaniec.9561

Scoobaniec.9561

not sure why would you think that there will be other demon stance, using a legendary demon stance is a mallyx line trait which affects every mallyx skill, just like how elementalist traits work, when swap to air, damage increase, when swap to earth w/e you gain w/e.

or like use shout remove condition..use meditation gain fury.

Cause i dont think they going to create tons of traitlines for every new legendary that we will be able to use in the future. For me it implies that we might see more legendary demon “heroes” unless they just going to give more utility to choose from to current ones

knightmawk.5673

Someone doesn’t know who traits work. They are usually 4 traits that reflect the favor of the class and one class mechanic trait. Also why would Revenant only have four trait lines? Or less you think Arenanet will give them less trait points as well?

Revenant is just a new class, it isn’t anymore special.

I said four traits corresponds to four legends because in the video they specifically said two of the trait lines they revealed were complimentary to the two legends they revealed, so two more trait lines plus the one for the class mechanic, the “flavor” in this case being legends, same way Ele has a trait line for each attunement + Arcane

Posted by: Tai Kratos.3247

Tai Kratos.3247

Two final points before I say goodbye to this post. Just some things that seemed odd to me.

1) If all five utility skills are tied to your legend, then does that mean that the Revenant is the only profession without access to racial skills or the Mistfire Wolf? Which is weird.

2) There was still the option above all of the utility skills to swap them out (indicated by the transparent gray bar with the arrow). Considering how proud they are of their GUI design, I really doubt that it was just an artifact that they accidentally left in.

I’m thinking that the skills will be able to be swapped out. But there will be a set of Mallyx skills and a set of Great Dwarf skills. So you would be able to slot, for your Great Dwarf stance, any four skills out of a selection of Great Dwarf skills or any racial skill.

That’s just a thought.