"DragonHunter" name feedback [merged]

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: MFranco.9514

MFranco.9514

The problem is that the dragonhunter sugest a dps class… when what u have is some sort of support class worst than guardian. Guardian is a heavy support class and the specialization focus on the same, but on ranged -_- ( a dragonhunter that just helps others to take down the dragons and by far).

Posted by: Eggs.3142

Eggs.3142

How about: Drachenjager

Posted by: Ojyh.9842

Ojyh.9842

The major aspect of this spec seems to be light magic (how the hell did they thought it had anything to do with dragons ??!)
They should have gone for a Photomancer or something like that. A mage of light wearing heavy shiny armor and shooting light rays with his bow.
Still feels closer to a Guardian than Dragonhunter…

But it’s too late for that I guess.

Posted by: velmeister.4187

velmeister.4187

TLDR: Name it PARAGON, please!

Just posted the same darn thing a second ago in another thread. Woot another like minded person! #friends. <3

And yes, Guardian specialization should be paragon as it is nothing but, a paragon. I don’t know why ANET is so hell bent on trying to snip this game’s lineage.

I would not have felt this bad if ANET named this specialization Jonmancer (Jon Snow killing Mance Ryder from, well, backline)

“If there is anyone here whom I have not offended, I am sorry.”

(edited by velmeister.4187)

Posted by: Cherokeewill.7504

Cherokeewill.7504

The major aspect of this spec seems to be light magic

Illuminatus

Posted by: MetalBeard.3042

MetalBeard.3042

In Defence of Revenant: it comes from the Latin word reveniens, which means returning. So when you summon up these legends of the past, in a way, they’re returning. I’m really looking forward to playing it more, the beta was fun.

Dragonhunter I don’t mind, but I’m not a huge fan of it either.

Tempest I like as it comes up with the images of storms and the like, but with the Ele twist it can be fire/earth/lightning/water storms, I’m hoping for some stuff like Glyph of Elemental Storms.

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

The more people throw a hissy fit that the game doesn’t exactly follow their expectations the more I like it.

Please, continue.

#Dragonhunter4Life

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Posted by: Marvinus.4780

Marvinus.4780

Anything except dragonhunter.

Posted by: FoRcExVoRtEx.9548

FoRcExVoRtEx.9548

Too many to count. Just change it.

Posted by: Wolfmoon.2976

Wolfmoon.2976

While I do think the new mechanics seem cool, the name is utterly terrible. While I am excited for the new specialization lets hope they realize how ridiculous the name is and change it.

Some better names:

-Justicar
-Sentinel
-Warden
-Herald
-Paladin
-Crusader
-Templar
-Cavalier
-Dragoon

Hell even Demon Hunter would have been better. Please Anet, just change it. The class looks cool but the name… ugh….

Commander Malacc ~ Tarnished Coast

Eggs.3142

While were at it lets get them to change Chronomancer, as it doenst fit my personal style of Mesmer play. its too tech sounding.

Posted by: misterdevious.6482

misterdevious.6482

Banisher
Absolver

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

I love the concept, a sort of rogue guardian, gone from protector to hunter.

But yeah… when I saw that name on the front page, I cringed… hard.

Posted by: FoRcExVoRtEx.9548

FoRcExVoRtEx.9548

While were at it lets get them to change Chronomancer, as it doenst fit my personal style of Mesmer play. its too tech sounding.

Mate, the spec is literally what it’s named: a Chronomancer. Just play mesmer if it ’doesn’t fit your personal style’. Also, please don’t start the arguments we are having over in the mesmer forums in the guardian forums about mesmer being ‘downgraded’ without its spec trait tree (which is completely false).

Sorry for this, a load of things rushed through my head when I read this comment.

Posted by: rhodoc.2381

rhodoc.2381

Terminator

/i ll be back

[VcY] Velocity – Gargamell

Posted by: Godric.3012

Godric.3012

Lightbringer… or any of the names proposed above:)

Eggs.3142

Mate, the spec is literally what it’s named: a Chronomancer. Just play mesmer if it ’doesn’t fit your personal style’. Also, please don’t start the arguments we are having over in the mesmer forums in the guardian forums about mesmer being ‘downgraded’ without its spec trait tree (which is completely false).

Sorry for this, a load of things rushed through my head when I read this comment.

That was the point. People who dislike it need to ask themselves.“Do I dislike the name or is it a bad name for the intended function of the class in the expansion?”

With the long bow the guardian is speced out to hunt dragons. The Chronomancer uses time. if the Guadian was called, I dont know, something angelic like an Archangel, it woulnd fit because there is no heaven, or angels in the game, and were not going to teach the dragons about our lord and savior Raven.

The name fits the function. If I dont like it doenst matter. At the end of the day we are still just Guardians.

Posted by: AikunFelcis.7258

AikunFelcis.7258

I really like “Sentinel”. Anyway, many suggestions listed here are better than Dragonhunter. We as Guardians will be protecting outpost from Mordrem attacks and we will be able to use Bow to take out enemies from the distance and use traps to slow them down or just to make sure they won’t reach outpost and destroy it. In this perspective I don’t see reason to name this spec “Dragonhunter”. Every character’s goal in the end is to kill/defeat Elder Dragons, right? I haven’t seen any other dragons around to hunt down. Please consider changing the name of this spec to the name that has sense taking into consideration class mechanic, lore and it’s role in upcoming expansion.

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

People (including Devs) should hear more on me ….

Seriously.. this garbage name is why I said that for the love of what is all good and sane – give professions PROPER names.

Rename and redesign that Elite Specialization to something that fits to one of these names:

Dragoon
Justiciar
Warden
Patron
Templar
Knight
Preserver
Crusader

All of them would have been a ton times better decisions with the right gameplay mechanics… but traps >.> WTF
If I want to play a silly Ranger Copycat without Pets, then I go play a ranger >,>

Then again that kittening longbow, that makes no sense, they should give them Shortbows, and add to that just simply a Core Specialization, that increases the Range for their Shortbows from 900 to 1200 by using theirm magical light arrows that simply fly further.
Theres no need to give Guardians longbows, when already Warriors habe Longbows.
So by design just a stupid decision, when you can give easily Shortbows also the same distance of a longbow, if you really simply want to do that when its required for balance and the gameplay of the class to have a long range weapon
ANet manges with Revenants hammers, that functionate as FRIGGING long range weapons..so what the friggin hell stops them to give guardians njust Shortbows with a long range mechanic in kind of a core specialization…

I made a little concept post yester day i nthat thread about wished bow skills, where I easily showed, how something like that could be done in a gameplay system basted on stances, which would have been the much better gameplay addition for guardians, than absolutely unfitting TRAPS, what are an improvement, that I would expect under a ranger elite specialization or under a thief elite specialization, but not under the total unfitting guardian >.< /facepalm.

First the total awesome Chronomancer, but it was so totally clear, that Anet screws this up with the next total awful garbage that is the total full of clichees Dragonhunter and ruins the game with something, that absolutely doesn’t fit into this game and comes over like a concept that was beign made, while beign drunk and drawing just wildly some thigns of various classes together and naming it after the first thing, that came into mind – when all our characters are literalyl and in fact “Dragonhunters”, because thats what our heroes live for and whats the goal of our live, to hunt dragons…

thats not somethign worth it to be called a profession, nor an elite specialization, when in fact everyone in Tyria is a dragonhunter >.>

Pure disappointement, I can’t describe it even, how disappointing this is… a total let down. One shoudl realyl believe, that they have at Anet so many creative heads, that 300 creative heads together should be able to get together somethign more creative and fitting, than this junk name

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Posted by: Dastion.3106

Dastion.3106

I personally would have went with Warden. Traps can then be themed as a cousin to Wards (an established Guardian skill type).

Essentially you then have a specialization who has become extremely good at using Light constructs. Converting their Virtues into constructs (Spear, Wings, and Shield), shooting constructs from a bow, and creating more complex wards (traps). And providing traits that affect your staff/hammer/sanctuary/wall of reflection wards.

(edited by Dastion.3106)

Posted by: DuckDuckBOOM.4097

DuckDuckBOOM.4097

Heck, just Demon Hunter would be better because Dragon’s are what everyone’s hunting. Dragon Hunter is in a weird place because everyone is hunting dragons. We have built an army for hunting dragons. It really doesn’t have anything to do with the Guardian.

I’m not a huge fan of the name but I wonder if people are interpreting the name wrong. It’s not a hunter of dragons but a dragon inspired hunter akin to a Dragon Knight. The elite is called Dragon’s Maw. The wings to leap with F2 for more “dragoning.” This doesn’t sound like someone that hunts dragons but is “becoming one.”

If this is a case, it’s more of the former white knights somewhat succumbing to corruption to fight fire with fire.

They sort of set that ball rolling making it kill a dragon in the video.

I’m 99% certain that was a dinosaur like the ones in gw1 jungle. It didn’t even look corrupted by Mordremoth.

“Welcome, friends. I’m Karl McLain, and today we’ll be talking about the guardian’s new elite specialization: the dragonhunter—a ferocious big-game hunter that specializes in ranged combat and back-line support.”

They are hunters in the way that a dragon knight is a knight. That doesn’t mean they specifically hunt dragons although we will be fighting one.

Posted by: Ceridwen.6703

Ceridwen.6703

At least it’s not another instance of abusing “mancer”. Does anyone involved in fantasy even know what the word means..

Knock yourself out! (Chronomancer is on page 5, if you’re wondering.)

“Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Steve R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn.”

Posted by: Ragnarox.9601

Ragnarox.9601

….disappointed….

Posted by: Luk.1496

Luk.1496

i hope they change the name.

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

In regard of Dragoon for example, instead of Traps, give them “Physical Skills” and design them around “Jumps” to perform Dive Attacks when jumping at an enemy
Would be then basically improvements to the light based “teleportations” that the guardian already can perform, just that the light becomes now that wing animation and the dragoon performs that way a jump attack together with magical light spears like the spear of justice …

The reveal video was so absolutely borign and lame, I nearly fell asleep from watching it … when turning the virtues into 3 basically conjure weapons is everythign creative about that elite specialization and the stolen traps ability of the ranger/thief

oh my god, then good night >.>

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Posted by: Dream In A Dream.7213

Dream In A Dream.7213

This spec name and flavor as per info released to date is very unimaginative and cant compare to the last week reveal. As a primary guard player I am very sad that I am more interested in a mesmer spec than in guard one.

Please anet, change this stupid name to something else. Also maybe try to make the theme of this spec more unique rather than guard/ranger. I am still hoping that it will get worked on in beta to make it a bit more interesting.

Posted by: Einlanzer.1627

Einlanzer.1627

Yeah the concept is good, the name is not.

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

How about the name: BetterRanger

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

Posted by: Black Box.9312

Black Box.9312

How about the name: BetterRanger

InB4 it’s not even better than ranger.

Posted by: Leonhardt.8164

Leonhardt.8164

At least it’s not another instance of abusing “mancer”. Does anyone involved in fantasy even know what the word means..

It come from the greek manteía which mean divination. A mancer is a practitioner of a specific type of divination.

Exactly. So what do the Pyromancer, Hydromancer, Aeromancer, Geomancer, Necromancer and Chronomancer in GW2 have anything to do with prediciting the future?

It’s just a cheesy word that sounds cool and keeps being misused in fantasy settings.

Divination – the practice of attempting to foretell future events or discover hidden knowledge by occult or supernatural means.
notice the second part of the definition to DISCOVER HIDDEN KNOWLEGE by occult or SUPERNATURAL means, idiot, it doesnt just mean to predict the future, which btw is very suitable for chronomancy which is specifically about TIME and SPACE, what do magic wielders strive for? to gain as much knowledge about their magic as possible, throgh various ways, it’s perfect for fantasy game, it’s perfect to use to describe different kinds of people that pursuit knowledge for what the wielder would consider ‘’divine power’’
next time look up the word so you wouldnt sound like such an idiot lmfao

Posted by: Yelloweyedemon.2860

Yelloweyedemon.2860

QQ even about that… You people never cease to amuse me!

I would play a class called pastitsio if it worked correctly…

Posted by: Sagat.3285

Sagat.3285

I’m hyped for Dragonhunter. Speak for yourself!

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140
The Dhuumfire thread

Posted by: Jelle.2807

Jelle.2807

I think most will agree with me that the name Dragonhunter kind of sucks. Let’s throw some ideas for a better name at ANet and hope they’ll consider changing it.

Jelle.2807

Here my contribution:

Lighthunter
Seraphim
Herald
Inquisitor

Eggs.3142

I think most will agree with me that the name Dragonhunter kind of sucks. Let’s throw some ideas for a better name at ANet and hope they’ll consider changing it.

I think most of the vocal minority would agree. The majority of people couldn’t care less. I for one love it

Conncept.7638

I assume between the traps and bow they want to keep the ‘Righteous Hunter’ theme, but there is already a real world term which fits that much better than Dragon Hunter.

Witch Hunter

Why does it have to be specific to dragons? Guardians are a mix of martial and magical abilities which existed long before the rise of the dragons, it would only make sense that were a guardian to go from defender to hunter, they would hunt for more than just dragons but all things evil, all the things that bump in the night and scratch at the doors of the innocent.

(edited by Conncept.7638)

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Is it sad that we feel the need to workshop this?
Yes.

Let’s do it.

In the very least, I hope to see something represented in game that defines the Dragonhunter in lore. It’d be easier to accept. Seeing as the Dragonhunter is about ranged support, I could see Logan being pansy enough for it.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Eggs.3142

I assume between the traps and bow they want to keep the ‘Righteous Hunter’ theme, but there is already a real world term which fits that perfectly.

Witch Hunter

Why does it have to be specific to dragons? Make them an all around hunter of evil, demons, all things that bump in the night and scratch at the door.

I dislike the fact that this means Witches = Evil

Also Witch Hunts are notoriously known for being bad, bad things. Like, your hunting for something that inst there with extreme prejudice

Posted by: Zergs.9715

Zergs.9715

Sentinel (personal fave)
Warden
Sentry

Someone mentioned Seeker which is also very cool.

Posted by: Morsus.5106

Morsus.5106

• Crusader
  • Guardian Angel
  • Archangel (seriously, flying wings and no angel references?)
  • Zealot
  • Janissary
  • Sentinel
    Heck, just Demon Hunter would be better because Dragon’s are what everyone’s hunting. Dragon Hunter is in a weird place because everyone is hunting dragons. We have built an army for hunting dragons. It really doesn’t have anything to do with the Guardian.

Crusader and Sentinel sounds way better than “Dragonhunter.” Personally, I would prefer if it were named Crusader only because it conjures up the image of someone using light powers on a personal mission.

The problem with Sentinel is that it’s a stat combo for armor. I think that ANet won’t want to reuse stat armor names, so it rules out stuff like Sentinel, Valkyrie, and Zealot etc. Crusader is a good name that implies the religious/sacred/holy aspect of the Guardian without reusing a stat combo name.

Rauderi.8706

A practitioner of a specific type of divination.
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/-mancer
:P

Many alts; handle it!
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Penguin.5197

Penguin.5197

In the very least, I hope to see something represented in game that defines the Dragonhunter in lore. It’d be easier to accept. Seeing as the Dragonhunter is about ranged support, I could see Logan being pansy enough for it.

He can’t do it, Its dragon hunter, not dragon evader

Jelle.2807

Is it sad that we feel the need to workshop this?
Yes.

Let’s do it.

Hah no, not Logan. Most likely Braham will find Eir’s bow, or at least be inspired by her to take up archery himself. Thus, guardian with bow.

Posted by: Valmir.4590

Valmir.4590

I like the French version, so I want to keep a Dragon themed name.

Draconeer, Dragonbane, Dagonstalker.

Posted by: tramwajarz.2369

tramwajarz.2369

I think most of the vocal minority would agree. The majority of people couldn’t care less. I for one love it

Even if majority is silent you have no instruments to prove your statement. In this case, even if only a minority is vocal it’s like election – lazy people don’t go voting so who cares about their opinions? Here it’s the same, those who choose not to take part in discusscussion won’t be heard, therefore you can’t cater to opinion that is not voiced. It’s their loss.

Ontopic about names: Herald, Valiant, Warden, Warder (with traps changed to wards with unique mechanics), Protector, Watcher, Sentinel, Zealot, Justicar.

My NO to: paladins, (arch)angels, healbows, bards or cupids

Posted by: Fantastic.5298

Fantastic.5298

anything but the name they gave

Conncept.7638

I assume between the traps and bow they want to keep the ‘Righteous Hunter’ theme, but there is already a real world term which fits that perfectly.

Witch Hunter

Why does it have to be specific to dragons? Make them an all around hunter of evil, demons, all things that bump in the night and scratch at the door.

I dislike the fact that this means Witches = Evil

Also Witch Hunts are notoriously known for being bad, bad things. Like, your hunting for something that inst there with extreme prejudice

In the real world yes, but witchhunts and witches are almost completely unused in the Guild Wars universe, only canonically appearing among the Krait, one of the most irredeemably evil races in the game. Its an unexplored enough area that the developers could define it as anything they want.

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

Dragonchaser. Like stormchasers, those guys that chase storms. ’Cept these guys chase dragons.

Dragonskinner. Like muleskinners. Well, maybe not. /e subliminal mount message.

The table is a fable.

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

Guaranger.

That’s what it is anyway…

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

Rauderi.8706

Dragon is a bit of a loaded word in the GW universe. I’d rather they have kept it out of the specialization name.

Unfortunately, similar words are already in use in some fashion:

Warden by the Sylvari.
Seraph and similar angelic terms by Humans.
Zealot by extension of one of Guardian’s existing specs.
Valiant again by Sylvari.

Maybe it’s not too late for Paragon. >_>

Many alts; handle it!