"DragonHunter" name feedback [merged]

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Arrk.4102

Arrk.4102

I’m quite happy with Inquisitor actually.
And the White Mantle thing is not that bad, we now have Reaper and Reaper (title and spec) so the overlap isn’t unheard off.

Arrk.4102

Actually while I was printing my course paper I was thinking about the name and here are the couple of points I thought off;

The Good:

• Inquisitor matches the semi religious connotations that the Guardian has going with the Zealot and Faith things.
  • Inquisitor matches the naming pattern of one word set by other Specializations.
  • Inquisitor matches the Heavy Armor weight class perfectly.
  • Inquisitor would use traps to catch as many “heretics” or targets as possible.
  • Inquisitor would even have the perfect longbow auto-attack that would cripple targets when there are two or more, thus preventing their escape.
  • Inquisitor would appease a lot of people that managed to make over 2,1k posts in a little less than a week.

The Neutral:

• Inquisitor overlaps with the White Mantle title, BUT we have a few overlaps in the game already so that’s not that big of a deal.

The Bad:

• Nothing.

Personally I love the idea of this name, and would gladly take it over any other suggested, but especially DH.

Posted by: Mordeus.1234

Mordeus.1234

Funnily enough the Inquisitor has a relation to the Witch Hunter explanation that Jon gave. Witch Hunters had the aim of bringing witches to trial, specifically “Witch Trials” or “Inquisitions”. So another name for a Witch Hunter is an Inquisitor. But it can also be translated as a ruthless individual striving for justice or one that seeks the truth. It pretty much encompasses the Dragonhunter name and concept but means so much more.

However, I’m personally favourable to the Paragon since the Spear, Shield and Wings styled Virtues of the spec are one big rip off the Paragon. Not to mention that Paragons are known to be long distance battle commanders from GW1, with Keiran Thackery a former Ranger and a prominent commander of Lion’s Arch being Tyria’s first Paragon. The Paragon as a word also means the following;

- The embodiment of an ideal (Zeal, Radiance, Valor, Honor, Virtue?)
- Someone who is a model of perfection.
- To go beyond, to surpass, to excel, to triumph, to conquer (What is the biggest obstacle in Tyria? That would be the Dragons.)

It might be as abstract as the Dragonhunter if you erase the GW1 foundation but it would be a shame to do so. The only “new” thing that the Dragonhunter does that the Paragon couldn’t is lay traps. But that could be explained as an evolution of the Paragon thanks to Kieran Thackery’s past Ranger knowledge influencing the once Elona exclusive profession. The Tyrian Paragon could be influenced by Tyria and those who learnt the art from Kieran. As for the Longbow, Kieran’s weapon of choice was the Longbow, he was a Paragon that shunned the Spear.

Posted by: Caerbanog.3410

Caerbanog.3410

However, I’m personally favourable to the Paragon since the Spear, Shield and Wings styled Virtues of the spec are one big rip off the Paragon. Not to mention that Paragons are known to be long distance battle commanders from GW1, with Keiran Thackery a former Ranger and a prominent commander of Lion’s Arch being Tyria’s first Paragon. The Paragon as a word also means the following;

- To go beyond, to surpass, to excel, to triumph, to conquer (What is the biggest obstacle in Tyria? That would be the Dragons.)

It might be as abstract as the Dragonhunter if you erase the GW1 foundation but it would be a shame to do so. The only “new” thing that the Dragonhunter does that the Paragon couldn’t is lay traps. But that could be explained as an evolution of the Paragon thanks to Kieran Thackery’s past Ranger knowledge influencing the once Elona exclusive profession. The Tyrian Paragon could be influenced by Tyria and those who learnt the art from Kieran. As for the Longbow, Kieran’s weapon of choice was the Longbow, he was a Paragon that shunned the Spear.

Best idea ever.

Posted by: Dondarrion.2748

Dondarrion.2748

Best idea ever.

+1

Lord Sazed / Hasla the Huntress / Seaguard Hala
Seamarshal Belit / Initiate Xun Tsu / Mistwarden Roshone
Seafarer’s Rest | Northerner @ Dragon Season

Arrk.4102

Best idea ever.

+1

+1

Posted by: Valmir.4590

Valmir.4590

I really dislike the name Paragon. For once, because it is a throwback to an outdated class, which have been superseded by the Guardian in lore, so it would basically be a Guardian reverting to an obsolete way of fighting. And already, there is deconstruction to what the Paragon was (apparently, since I haven’t played one or with one) in the exact same way I’ve done to explain why the theme behind the specialization (i.e a Guardian with longbows and traps) already exist within the current trait system; see the case of Kieran Thackerey.

Furthermore, a Paragon send images of either :
- some nun/monk being the living embodiment of her/his monastery Order and mostly a benevolent figure shying from battles.
or
- a devoted warrior fighting with his troops behind him to inspire them to greater act of bravery. The contrary of what this specialization is at its core.

And to that, we should act the fact that, just like the Dragonhunter, the name “Paragon” doesn’t explain what the specialization does. When someone tell you that he is a Paragon, you don’t expect him to use a long bow, traps and fire-magic traps.

That’s why this name is just as bad as Dragonhunter. Sentinel and Inquisitor, on the other hand, both reflect what the class is a lot better.

Posted by: AikunFelcis.7258

AikunFelcis.7258

I really dislike the name Paragon. For once, because it is a throwback to an outdated class, which have been superseded by the Guardian in lore, so it would basically be a Guardian reverting to an obsolete way of fighting. And already, there is deconstruction to what the Paragon was (apparently, since I haven’t played one or with one) in the exact same way I’ve done to explain why the theme behind the specialization (i.e a Guardian with longbows and traps) already exist within the current trait system; see the case of Kieran Thackerey.

Furthermore, a Paragon send images of either :
- some nun/monk being the living embodiment of her/his monastery Order and mostly a benevolent figure shying from battles.
or
- a devoted warrior fighting with his troops behind him to inspire them to greater act of bravery. The contrary of what this specialization is at its core.

And to that, we should act the fact that, just like the Dragonhunter, the name “Paragon” doesn’t explain what the specialization does. When someone tell you that he is a Paragon, you don’t expect him to use a long bow, traps and fire-magic traps.

That’s why this name is just as bad as Dragonhunter. Sentinel and Inquisitor, on the other hand, both reflect what the class is a lot better.

I agree that Paragon wouldn’t be good option, because this spec is not good representation of Paragon profession from GW1. Maybe in a future if Anet adds land spears/javelins/polearm weapon then adding some mechanic/skills from Paragon like Chants would be ok and then such spec could be named Paragon IMO.

I really like name Sentinel. Inquisitor is ok and Seeker is also fine for me.

Arrk.4102

Yeah I actually changed my mind about Arbiter.
Sentinel, Inquisitor and Seeker, maaaybe Warden as well.

Posted by: Myrden.2456

Myrden.2456

I am not a fan of the name either, but 1600+ posts about it??? Does anyone think it will actually change?

Dondarrion.2748

I am not a fan of the name either, but 1600+ posts about it??? Does anyone think it will actually change?

Maybe if we get another 1600+ posts about it

Seeker or Warden would also be much better; in fact I will play it regardless but I’ll like my main guardian less just because of the Dragonhunter name… feel exactly the same way about this as the “Dragonknight” in ESO… compared to the other class names, just too restrictive and constrained in scope. High concept but just not acknowledging that there’s more to it than hunting dragons and/or its minions.

Posted by: Dante.1763

Dante.1763

To yall who said inquisitor im with ya on that name!

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

Posted by: Ojyh.9842

Ojyh.9842

Well, we know the devs are reading the thread, and nobody said a change was out of the question so it’s still possible.

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

Not a single person as been able to provide a logical explanation for the terrible Dragon Hunter theme.

… other than Anet. That’s what matters.

If you’d stop whiteknighting for a moment, you’d realize that ANet can be wrong and they can make bad decisions. I know that may be hard to believe, but yes, it’s true. They can still make any decision they’d like, but the decisions they make are not necessarily flawless.

I don’t get how they can be wrong about something they conceptualize.

Then don’t think about it as if ANet was wrong. Think about it as if ANet didn’t make a good decision.

Posted by: Bingo.2174

Bingo.2174

See Anet, this isn’t jut blowing over. It’s a bad name and time to “adjust” isn’t making us any less angsty over it.

Posted by: Mor The Thief.9135

Mor The Thief.9135

After reading most of the names i made a list of the most acceptable names by the people here(from most acceptable to least):

1. Inquisitor.
2. Sentinel.
3. Paragon.
4. Warden.
5. Arbiter.
6. Purifier.
7. Exorcist(my name of choice with examples, either if good or not from many animes and the Supernatural TV show).
8. ?
*. Dragonhunter(lol).

Take note that I probably missed some of the name given here but the ones i wrote are the ones that appeared most in the thread(aside from the exorcist name :P)

(edited by Mor The Thief.9135)

Posted by: gamerdude.4289

gamerdude.4289

Having played 1733 out of my 1800 total gameplay hours as a Guardian, I will be very sad if the name Dragonhunter isn’t changed to something else. As many others have stated here, I don’t believe the name is appropriate for many reasons. I won’t repeat the same reasons that have already been posted, but put my vote in for Inquisitor, Seeker, Sentinel, Purifier or Warden…anything but Dragonhunter please…

Posted by: VILLALBA.7189

VILLALBA.7189

Lighthunter… (?

Posted by: shiney.4629

shiney.4629

This is my first ever post on the forums, I’m the vocal minority normally. I’ve played my guardian almost exclusively tbh, and decided to actually post over this issue, because i feel it might get resolved if people give enough feedback.

I personally think the whole “theme” just doesn’t sit well with how Anet has always painted the guardian. We’re the defenders, the protector. We uphold virtue and strive for Justice. Every other specialization has a thematic route from base class to its specialization. You feel they need to master one, to move to the next.

BUT:
Big game hunters just didn’t hunt to protect people. They hunted to mount heads on the wall. They didn’t hunt for virtue, or higher ideals, They hunted for the thrill, and trophies.

Big game hunters went on safari’s, not crusades

I just don’t understand how these marry up.

Im not saying i dont like the idea of a guardian WITH a bow, im saying the core concept linking it to big game hunting seems thematically wrong.

Below is a concept i could get behind though….

Funnily enough the Inquisitor has a relation to the Witch Hunter explanation that Jon gave. Witch Hunters had the aim of bringing witches to trial, specifically “Witch Trials” or “Inquisitions”. So another name for a Witch Hunter is an Inquisitor. But it can also be translated as a ruthless individual striving for justice or one that seeks the truth. It pretty much encompasses the Dragonhunter name and concept but means so much more.

Posted by: shogei.8015

shogei.8015

The DH is not the last specialization we will see for guardian; it is just the first of many. It is possible that some of the other suggested names will fit better for future specs and have been set aside.

Yes Dragonhunter is a laughable name, but the actual skills look cool so I think we can get past it.

Guild warrior for life!

Posted by: Sithis.3564

Sithis.3564

We can always try to convince them to change it. There is no harm in that. They will listen or not.

Lightbringer

Posted by: gamerdude.4289

gamerdude.4289

We can always try to convince them to change it. There is no harm in that. They will listen or not.

Lightbringer

Being an avid GW player, I like this a lot.

Posted by: Daddar.5971

Daddar.5971

Lightbringer or Shadowbane both sound good to me.

‘Elite’ in all 9 professions. I take mediocrity seriously!

Posted by: Arnath.2319

Arnath.2319

I place my vote for Inquisitor.

Make it happen ArenaNet!

Posted by: Genesis.8572

Genesis.8572

I at least feel that we are making progress with more fruitful discussion.

Will Hawkins (Human Guardian)
Feryl Grimsteel (Charr Engineer)
Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Kury.8210

Kury.8210

I’m not so sure about the name “Inquisitor.” To me, it implies light armor and certainly doesn’t include a bow as a main weapon. Even if ArenaNet were to change the name, it’s rather unreasonable to expect all the work put into the skills/traits/whatnot to go as well, so the name has to match the skills. Traps aren’t going to cut it as a reason for the name, especially when traps an inquisitor would use consist more of wordplay than anything.

Personally, I think Seeker or Sentinel would be better names. Both have a heavy armor feel to them, as well as a more holy/righteous/just aspect to it (the aspect of security). A seeker is an aggressive pursuer (not really backline support, but fits a big guy with a bow perfectly). A sentinel sort of a more refined word for guard. Of course, neither has the lore base that dragonhunter has. But, “dragonhunter” as a class kind of makes no sense being in lore because all classes should be considered as such.

Genesis.8572

I’m not so sure about the name “Inquisitor.” To me, it implies light armor and certainly doesn’t include a bow as a main weapon.

I don’t share this perception, perhaps given my familiarity with Pathfinder’s Inquisitor class, which does feature armored, bow-wielding inquisitors: http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/advanced/baseClasses/inquisitor.html.

Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Dante.1763

Dante.1763

I’m not so sure about the name “Inquisitor.” To me, it implies light armor and certainly doesn’t include a bow as a main weapon.

I don’t share this perception, perhaps given my familiarity with Pathfinder’s Inquisitor class, which does feature armored, bow-wielding inquisitors: http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/advanced/baseClasses/inquisitor.html.

Warhammer 40k, and regular Warhammer, As well, they have inquisitors who run around in the armor that Space marines do(In W40k) And plate mail(In Warhammer). While also laying traps, physical and mental, and using a variety of weapons from bows(in warhammer) to of course the futuristic weapons in w40k.

They serve as the Deamon and witch hunters in both universes!

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

Posted by: Mo Mo.1947

Mo Mo.1947

Just saw a lv1 Human Warrior in LA with pink mutton chops and a really flashy gold/red armor named Dragonbrawler The Annihilator. He kept saying that he is the future.

Hax? You shouldn’t be able to make a character with a name that long. O.o Do Europeans get a higher character limit? It’s 19 for the NA client.

Posted by: Sube Dai.8496

Sube Dai.8496

I was in the I don’t care camp, but after playing my guard some more I realise that it does not fit at all…

2 of your 3 trait lines will have absolutely zero to do with dragon hunting. Hell, even the dragonhunter line doesn’t have much to do with it…

John Snowman [GLTY]
Space Marine Z [GLTY]

Posted by: Sube Dai.8496

Sube Dai.8496

I was in the I don’t care camp, but after playing my guard some more I realise that it does not fit at all…

2 of your 3 trait lines will have absolutely zero to do with dragon hunting. Hell, even the dragonhunter line doesn’t have much to do with it…

John Snowman [GLTY]
Space Marine Z [GLTY]

Arrk.4102

Just saw a lv1 Human Warrior in LA with pink mutton chops and a really flashy gold/red armor named Dragonbrawler The Annihilator. He kept saying that he is the future.

Hax? You shouldn’t be able to make a character with a name that long. O.o Do Europeans get a higher character limit? It’s 19 for the NA client.

As far as I remember the “The Annihilator” was the title he used.

Posted by: Puls.5867

Puls.5867

Yea my mesmer is now redundant and is looking for a new line of work as the pact said "dragon hunters only" so I am looking for a job as a therapist to manipulate inspire and dominate people’s minds with the chaos of my illusions :p

Tsento – Mesmer | Timcarnate – Revenant | Timigami – Necromancer

Dondarrion.2748

Lightbringers are inherently Order of Whispers and shouldn’t be the name of the new Guardian elite spec. Then you’ll meet a bunch of Lightbringer NPCs and other players who call themselves the same.

Lighthunter or Lightseeker, even Lightcaster, Lightarrow, Lightwarden.

Shame we’re already Guardians, otherwise we could’ve adopted a bunch of titles like Honorguard, Lightguard, Blackguard, Shadowguard.

About the current topic; I feel that there’s 2 camps of names; one being too heavily tied up into a legal, justice system that I don’t like them as alternatives for the guardian elite (e.g. Arbiter, Inquisitor, etc.) and the other which is more generically named (and in my mind more fitting) such as Sentinel, Seeker, Warden, etc.

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

At this point, even Bow Knight works for me.

Caerbanog.3410

Bow Knight is too much a low concept. “Bow Knight with Traps” is better i think.

Posted by: Black Box.9312

Black Box.9312

I’d say either Inquisitor or Seeker gets my vote. As nice as Warden sounds on paper, it also is already being used in GW2 context as the Sylvari military faction.

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

I saw the word ‘visionary’ in a post that had nothing to do with guardians and my first thought was, “Hey, not bad! Much better than ‘dragonhunter’.” I even recommended that the poster post that title over here, but if he or she did I’ve not seen it. So, anyway…

Visionary.

High concept: Whether striking from afar or drawing the forces of evil into deadly snares, these intrepid guardians share a VISION of a world free from the fear and tyranny of dragonkind.

Whee. More:

Revelator
Luminary
Purifier
Big kitten Hero
Appetizer

The table is a fable.

Arrk.4102

I’d say either Inquisitor or Seeker gets my vote. As nice as Warden sounds on paper, it also is already being used in GW2 context as the Sylvari military faction.

We also have Inquisitor as a White Mantle title, and The Reaper as a player title, so they are not looking at the context.

Arrk.4102

I saw the word ‘visionary’ in a post that had nothing to do with guardians and my first thought was, “Hey, not bad! Much better than ‘dragonhunter’.” I even recommended that the poster post that title over here, but if he or she did I’ve not seen it. So, anyway…

Visionary.

High concept: Whether striking from afar or drawing the forces of evil into deadly snares, these intrepid guardians share a VISION of a world free from the fear and tyranny of dragonkind.

Whee. More:

Revelator
Luminary
Purifier
Big kitten Hero
Appetizer

There is even a precedent for that! When creating a Guardian, one of the choices you make can grant you the Visionary’s Helm. " (“a visionary’s helm”) — Tyria is bigger than we know and filled with mystery. This helm is open, allowing me to see with clarity. With it, I will seek out the world’s greater truths that others fear to explore." It fits perfectly, oh my god.

Posted by: Marcus Aurelius.1374

Marcus Aurelius.1374

mountains of text just about label. the only thing that bothered you is a name tons of reasons and other options.. I wonder do you feel the same about the word “cucumber”/“salad”/“name”/“text”…
if anything I think they demo of the dragonhunter wasn’t successful not because of a label but because it showed ANOTHER support build for guardi which is ok but showed us no real reason to become one unlike chronomancer and reaper that were attractive
how the dragonhunter preform in HOT is a mystery since so far in pve support builds are mostly not needed.

Puls.5867

mountains of text just about label. the only thing that bothered you is a name tons of reasons and other options.. I wonder do you feel the same about the word "cucumber"/"salad"/"name"/"text"...
if anything I think they demo of the dragonhunter wasn’t successful not because of a label but because it showed ANOTHER support build for guardi which is ok but showed us no real reason to become one unlike chronomancer and reaper that were attractive
how the dragonhunter preform in HOT is a mystery since so far in pve support builds are mostly not needed.

Salad came from salt which made sense because salt was a main dressing back in the day so it made sense :p
Guardian becoming a dragon hunter doesn’t fit with the trait line names from what I understand but hey ho it’s fun to see people’s ideas behind the name

Black Box.9312

We also have Inquisitor as a White Mantle title, and The Reaper as a player title, so they are not looking at the context.

Those two are not directly tied to GW2 in-game (yet, at least).

Caerbanog.3410

The Dragon Hunter is in fact an already existing grawl spec.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Dragon_Tribe_Grawl_Hunter

Puls.5867

The Dragon Hunter is in fact an already existing grawl spec.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Dragon_Tribe_Grawl_Hunter

playable Grawl race confirmed for HoT woooooo xD

Arrk.4102

How so? You fight Inquisitor Torbon and Veteran Inquisitor Mirella in game.
Reaper is the title a PvP players can get for obtaining 873,500 rank points in sPvP.

Black Box.9312

How so? You fight Inquisitor Torbon and Veteran Inquisitor Mirella in game.
Reaper is the title a PvP players can get for obtaining 873,500 rank points in sPvP.

The title isn’t directly within the context of the game’s story. I dunno about those two enemies, though. Where do you fight them?

Genesis.8572

The title isn’t directly within the context of the game’s story. I dunno about those two enemies, though. Where do you fight them?

The “Dead Parents” human personal story.

Despite its use by the White Mantle, the name ‘Inquisitor’ still strikes me as a generic enough specialization name.

Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Ephemiel.5694

Ephemiel.5694

You can’t use the name “Inquisitor” since that would imply every Inquisitor is that class. They’d need to use a name that isn’t in the game or that other characters already have.

“Would you kindly?”

Posted by: Ojyh.9842

Ojyh.9842

You can’t use the name “Inquisitor” since that would imply every Inquisitor is that class. They’d need to use a name that isn’t in the game or that other characters already have.

I agree.
But since spec names are probably more important than some rare NPCs, titles, or anything that 99% of players don’t even remember, my opinion is they should change those names to free some space for spec names.
That’s what they did for the Revenant.

They HAVE to consider this option, they will inevitably run out of possibilities when we will have 3 or more specs for each profession.
It may lead us to a situation where we will have more and more Dragonhunter-like names… Ugly and with a far-fetched and twisted unfitting theme. Especially when you think about the fact that those names can overlap others that should fit something else. Dragonhunter overlaps the basic Hunter theme which could have been great for a Ranger. Or a better made draconic spec also (I already had some ideas about this one).

Not only they will run out of classical names but also strange names can close some doors and force them to go for even more bizarre names and themes. Vicious circle…