"DragonHunter" name feedback [merged]

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Arrk.4102

Arrk.4102

You can’t use the name “Inquisitor” since that would imply every Inquisitor is that class. They’d need to use a name that isn’t in the game or that other characters already have.

I disagree, there are many “Hunters” and “Warriors” in the game, and yet it doesn’t overlap with Warrior or Ranger core classes.
Inquisitor is a much much better name than Dragonhunter so I’d rather have that small overlap than be stuck with that awful name.

Posted by: Genesis.8572

Genesis.8572

You can’t use the name “Inquisitor” since that would imply every Inquisitor is that class. They’d need to use a name that isn’t in the game or that other characters already have.

Not really. Inquisitor is generic enough. Do you honestly think that the White Mantle is the only faith that would have inquisitors?

Will Hawkins (Human Guardian)
Feryl Grimsteel (Charr Engineer)
Tarnished Coast

Arrk.4102

Inquisitor does not even have to be faith or religion related:
“a person making an inquiry, especially one seen to be excessively harsh or searching.”
It is just connected to that in our minds due to real world context.

Posted by: Black Box.9312

Black Box.9312

The title isn’t directly within the context of the game’s story. I dunno about those two enemies, though. Where do you fight them?

The “Dead Parents” human personal story.

Despite its use by the White Mantle, the name ‘Inquisitor’ still strikes me as a generic enough specialization name.

Ah okay. Not sure if I ever did that one. I do kind of prefer Seeker, anyway.

Genesis.8572

There’s also Inquisitor Dabb and High Inquisitor Maut of the Inquest, so it’s not a White Mantle exclusive title.

As I said before, I could easily see all the playable races having inquisitors to root out the rogue elements in their society (e.g. White Mantle, Flame Legion, Mordremoth Sylvari, etc.).

Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Ephemiel.5694

Ephemiel.5694

True i guess. How come we’re realizing these things, yet the guys getting PAYED to think of these names and info chose “big game hunter, let’s name him Dragonhunter, yay”?

“Would you kindly?”

Posted by: minbariguy.7504

minbariguy.7504

Gotta say, “Dragon Hunter” is a pretty boring and uninspired name, especially in a game where practically everyone is hunting dragons. Seems kinda phoned in.

But hey, if they’re that confident that no other name could possibly be better than the one they picked, even considering the high volume of feedback to the contrary, then they must be right. Because, reasons. And metrics. And stuff.

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

1. In what universe have you EVER heard of “Inquisitors” being associated with bows? Questioner/Interrogator archetypes work up close where they can talk. Whisper even. Not “Hey -twang- you -thwip- confess! -pew pew-”…
  2. Look at that picture. IT’S NOT GOING TO CHANGE. Does that look like an inquisitor you?

Attachments:

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Posted by: Dante.1763

Dante.1763

1. In what universe have you EVER heard of “Inquisitors” being associated with bows? Questioner/Interrogator archetypes work up close where they can talk. Whisper even. Not “Hey -twang- you -thwip- confess! -pew pew-”…
  2. Look at that picture. IT’S NOT GOING TO CHANGE. Does that look like an inquisitor you?

Warhammer And Warhammer 40k. Both prime examples. The warhammer inquisitors run around in leather or plate mail, wield bows, crossbows, greatswords, know magic, and hunt witches. The ones in warhammer 40k Run around in flak armor, leather armor, OR Space Marine battle plate. With bolt pistols, power swords, psychic attacks etc. And they lay traps. And yes that looks like an inquisitor to me.

Do my pictures look like inquisitors? because thats exactly what they are.

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

Picture #6 is Robert E. Howard’s Solomon Kane in everything but name. Sword/pistol and staff. Alas! If only thieves were getting the staff instead of rangers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solomon_Kane

The table is a fable.

Dante.1763

Picture #6 is Robert E. Howard’s Solomon Kane in everything but name. Sword/pistol and staff. Alas! If only thieves were getting the staff instead of rangers.

Yea its what most of the models used in the table top game look like for Warhammer too. however in the books and such they do use other weapons, Pistols, Warhammers, Greatswords, Bows, Crossbows. Etc and plate mail of course.

Solomon Kane is bad kitten though!

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

Genesis.8572

1. In what universe have you EVER heard of “Inquisitors” being associated with bows? Questioner/Interrogator archetypes work up close where they can talk. Whisper even. Not “Hey -twang- you -thwip- confess! -pew pew-

Yes, Nike, I have heard such an association. I have even mentioned it before. Check out Pathfinder’s Inquisitor class.

Also worth mentioning, but that doesn’t look like a dragonhunter either. Most dragonhunters in myth and folklore defeated dragons armed with sword and shield.

Attachments:

Tarnished Coast

(edited by Genesis.8572)

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

Warhammer And Warhammer 40k. Both prime examples.

Thank you. I might otherwise have forgotten a prime example of Inquisitors being agents of torture and slaughter. Drawing inspiration in that setting from their real world place as the authors of some of the worst atrocities in the history of the human race. A name synonymous with wanton brutality. Probably why there are already Inquisitors in Tyria and they were bad guys.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Genesis.8572

Thank you. I might otherwise have forgotten a prime example of Inquisitors being agents of torture and slaughter. Drawing inspiration in that setting from their real world place as the authors of some of the worst atrocities in the history of the human race. A name synonymous with wanton brutality. Probably why there are already Inquisitors in Tyria and they were bad guys.

ArenaNet did say they were (somehow) trying to be darker and walking the line with the ‘dragonhunter’ concept.

Tarnished Coast

Posted by: dietzero.3514

dietzero.3514

Sort of like Witch Hunters.

Genesis.8572

Sort of like Witch Hunters.

Which is what ArenaNet was gunning for with ‘dragonhunters.’ Yeah, I think we’re fine with naming the e-spec “inquisitor.”

Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Dondarrion.2748

Dondarrion.2748

Yea, Solomon Kane inspired me to think of a Puritan spec for Guardians before the Dragonhunter was revealed. But then I wanted pistol for ranged option, and possibly even sword for offhand.
But oh well… that didn’t happen.

Lord Sazed / Hasla the Huntress / Seaguard Hala
Seamarshal Belit / Initiate Xun Tsu / Mistwarden Roshone
Seafarer’s Rest | Northerner @ Dragon Season

Posted by: RabbitUp.8294

RabbitUp.8294

Inquisitor is a worse name than Dragon hunter could ever possibly be.

3. Engineers don’t necessarily use Charr technology.

They do, according to the lore.

Posted by: Grimspell.8304

Grimspell.8304

Well, the angle they’re trying to go for with Dragonhunter is meant to be dark and the class concept of Inquisitors/Witch Hunters can’t be all that much worse than darker classes like Thieves and Necromancers. (And even Mesmers, who work in mind trickery.)

Posted by: Sube Dai.8496

Sube Dai.8496

Rename Dragon Huner to Ranger…

Rename Ranger to Beastmaster…

I know, I’m a genius…

John Snowman [GLTY]
Space Marine Z [GLTY]

Genesis.8572

Inquisitor is a worse name than Dragon hunter could ever possibly be.

Who was that guy who made a big production about the worthlessness of opinions masquerading as objective facts? I believe that was some guy named RabbitUp. Yeah, that’s what this is.

Tarnished Coast

RabbitUp.8294

So you are here asking for a change for selfless reasons? You are not picking a name you like, but the one that is best for the community? So noble.

Genesis.8572

So you are here asking for a change for selfless reasons? You are not picking a name you like, but the one that is best for the community? So noble.

Your condescension aside, there are probably names, concepts, etc. that I prefer more for the guardian longbow e-spec. For me though, ‘inquisitor’ has the greatest amount of conceptual overlap between the e-spec mechanics, the players’ voiced opinions, and ArenaNet’s revealed design intent. I see it as the pragmatic choice between ‘dragonhunter’ and the alternative names.

Tarnished Coast

RabbitUp.8294

Your condescension aside, there are probably names, concepts, etc. that I prefer more for the guardian longbow e-spec. For me though, ‘inquisitor’ has the greatest amount of conceptual overlap between the e-spec mechanics, the players’ voiced opinions, and ArenaNet’s revealed design intent. I see it as the pragmatic choice between ‘dragonhunter’ and the alternative names.

The truth remains that you wish to pick a name, whichever that is, according to your subjective criteria. Yes, you might take complaints people raised into consideration, but at the end of the day, the very fact you wish for the name to change is only because you don’t like it and think your dislike alone is a good enough reason for any amount of manhours to be spent on making your wish come true.

That’s the difference between your group and me.

Posted by: Valmir.4590

Valmir.4590

Just saying… the name Dragonhunter is bad two main reasons IMHO :
-It is two words mashed as one to “fit” the idea that class and specialization names must be one-word only (which considerably reduce the possibilities for future names)
-It doesn’t convey what the class is supposed to be (while other names, associated with dragons, such as Dragoneer, or Dragoon, could have done the job)

By changing the name, Arena Net would show that its acknowledge the reaction of a lot of players (that is, most of the vocal players, since the “silent majority” is of no importance on such matters, because if it wanted its opinion to be heard, it wouldn’t be silent in the first place) and would preserve a lot of future name possibilities (just by naming the spec Dragon Hunter and not Dragonhunter, it would break the idea that I talked above that a class name has to be in one word, thus ensuring future names of greater quality for the other specializations).

RabbitUp.8294

-It doesn’t convey what the class is supposed to be (while other names, associated with dragons, such as Dragoneer, or Dragoon, could have done the job)

Dragoneer is not an actual world. Dragoon is not associated with mythical dragons.

Also, Dragonhunters hunt dragons, they are not dragon-like themselves; not more than an anteater is an ant.

Posted by: Fashion Mage.3712

Fashion Mage.3712

mountains of text just about label. the only thing that bothered you is a name tons of reasons and other options.. I wonder do you feel the same about the word “cucumber”/“salad”/“name”/“text”…
if anything I think they demo of the dragonhunter wasn’t successful not because of a label but because it showed ANOTHER support build for guardi which is ok but showed us no real reason to become one unlike chronomancer and reaper that were attractive
how the dragonhunter preform in HOT is a mystery since so far in pve support builds are mostly not needed.

Are you implying that DH makes a guardian more supportive?

Posted by: Valmir.4590

Valmir.4590

Dragoneer is not an actual world. Dragoon is not associated with mythical dragons.

Also, Dragonhunters hunt dragons, they are not dragon-like themselves; not more than an anteater is an ant.

Dragonhunter isn’t an actual word either. Dragon Hunter are two actual words, and it would already be better. And the problem is indeed that a Dragon Hunter hunt dragons, not really Dragon minions or those corrupted by the Dragons.

RabbitUp.8294

Dragonhunter isn’t an actual word either. Dragon Hunter are two actual words, and it would already be better.

Separating it into 2 words would make absolutely no difference. You can’t compare Dragonhunter, composed of 2 recognizable words, to Dragoneer, which doesn’t really mean anything.

And the problem is indeed that a Dragon Hunter hunt dragons, not really Dragon minions or those corrupted by the Dragons.

They hunt dragons and their minions because the lore says so. These arguments get more pointless every day. Reaper gives 0 information about their playstyle, skills and weapon, but you want a shopping list of a name to explain exactly what Guardians are going to hunt in HoT. Dragonhunter provides enough information on that font for anyone to make an educated guess.

(edited by RabbitUp.8294)

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

What I find ironic is that traps are probably one of the least useful mechanics against bosses (and thus one of the worst mechanics for hunting dragons).

Bitter irony in the name there.

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

Posted by: AikunFelcis.7258

AikunFelcis.7258

They hunt dragons and their minions because the lore says so. These arguments get more pointless every day. Reaper gives 0 information about their playstyle, skills and weapon, but you want a shopping list of a name to explain exactly what Guardians are going to hunt in HoT. Dragonhunter provides enough information on that font for anyone to make an educated guess.

cough Reaper shroud turns you into Grim Reaper, the avatar of death with big scythe, you are also able to chill people in fear. Everything fits perfectly with the Reaper. cough

As I posted many times, people want specialization to be consistent and what I mean by this, skills, mechanic, gameplay and the name itself should fit together. Now we have Holy Archer / Divine Hunter shooting light arrows and putting light-imbued traps. Name Dragonhunter totally doesn’t fit. Don’t use lore argument, because HoT is not released and currently in game we don’t have any factions of guardians called “Dragonhunters”. Until expansion is released everything might be changed by the Devs, so in the end such “dragonhuntery” guardians faction in the end may not exist at all if they think that in the end dragonhuntery thing is not as cool as they thought. They may change the name of specialization because of players’ feedback. Colin always says “nothing is off the table”. Arenanet is very open for suggestions and feedback, so everything’s possible.

I hope that devs sooner or later will post whether they will change the name or not. Having answer is better than not having any answer at all, even if the answer might not be satisfying. We’ll see.

Posted by: Irizol.1947

Irizol.1947

Anything new from Anet?

Arrk.4102

Anything new from Anet?

Nah only a closed thread with 600 or so posts about it over at Guardian forums.

Posted by: Puls.5867

Puls.5867

How dare u keep the name dwaaagon hunter and show it off tomorrow under that name who do you think you are rawr rawr rawr :p get it coz dwagons say rawr or is wawr ;3 <3

Tsento – Mesmer | Timcarnate – Revenant | Timigami – Necromancer

RabbitUp.8294

cough Reaper shroud turns you into Grim Reaper, the avatar of death with big scythe, you are also able to chill people in fear. Everything fits perfectly with the Reaper. cough

Sure, let’s conveniently ignore the greatsword and the shouts, you know, the actual substance of the elite spec and solely focus on the profession mechanic.

I mean, the utilities could be turrets and the weapon a rifle, but it all fits perfectly, because big kitten scythe.

AikunFelcis.7258

Sure, let’s conveniently ignore the greatsword and the shouts, you know, the actual substance of the elite spec and solely focus on the profession mechanic.

I mean, the utilities could be turrets and the weapon a rifle, but it all fits perfectly, because big kitten scythe.

Greatsword fits, they made attacks feel heavy and devastating + chilling enemies in fear, you can use Scythe or Greatsword to deliver killing blow. Skills like “Gravedigger” or “Reaper’s Grasp” give nice flavor. It’s very fiting. The Reaper is just named after core mechanic you say? Then what about dragonhunter? Using your logic here like with the Reaper, there is nothing in the skills/mechanic in dragonhunter that justify it’s name! I see you chose conveniently to ignore the rest of my previous post. I have to quote myself to remind you. Any answer to this? Do I wrongly assume that consistency is important?

As I posted many times, people want specialization to be consistent and what I mean by this, skills, mechanic, gameplay and the name itself should fit together. Now we have Holy Archer / Divine Hunter shooting light arrows and putting light-imbued traps. Name Dragonhunter totally doesn’t fit. Don’t use lore argument, because HoT is not released and currently in game we don’t have any factions of guardians called “Dragonhunters”. Until expansion is released everything might be changed by the Devs, so in the end such “dragonhuntery” guardians faction in the end may not exist at all if they think that in the end dragonhuntery thing is not as cool as they thought. They may change the name of specialization because of players’ feedback. Colin always says “nothing is off the table”. Arenanet is very open for suggestions and feedback, so everything’s possible.

I hope that devs sooner or later will post whether they will change the name or not. Having answer is better than not having any answer at all, even if the answer might not be satisfying. We’ll see.

AikunFelcis.7258

Maybe after this week’s reveal (and after the new drama of whether the reveal was big enough to live up to the hype is over), there might be some merit to giving it a try, even though I honestly expect those that are neutral about this to not bother clicking the poll at all, if it’s not an official one from Anet.

Yeah, official poll from Arenanet could be helpful to solve the issue.

Dante.1763

Maybe after this week’s reveal (and after the new drama of whether the reveal was big enough to live up to the hype is over), there might be some merit to giving it a try, even though I honestly expect those that are neutral about this to not bother clicking the poll at all, if it’s not an official one from Anet.

Yeah, official poll from Arenanet could be helpful to solve the issue.

I think it would solve like…all the problems with it, really! Like i said, if the vast majority want it then let it be so. If they dont, then change it to what the vast majority want!

Genesis.8572

If there was an official poll, I would prefer if ArenaNet presented their own list of alternative names to which Jon Peters had alluded in his reply as opposed to the fan-supplied ones.

Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

Frankly, the whole idea that people are just going to throw hundreds of names into a thread and Anet will pick one is pure folly. I would rather too that Anet take the lead on this if it is indeed something they would consider but then again, I don’t think it would change much. We are still going to end up with people unhappy about the name for the most asinine reasons.

Dante.1763

Frankly, the whole idea that people are just going to throw hundreds of names into a thread and Anet will pick one is pure folly. I would rather too that Anet take the lead on this if it is indeed something they would consider but then again, I don’t think it would change much. We are still going to end up with people unhappy about the name for the most asinine reasons.

I doubt it. You dont see people complaining about the name of Reaper and Chronomancer, at least i havent yet.

Yup just looked! The Mesmer page is normal and the necro thread is pretty depressing. So i guess just as normal

(edited by Dante.1763)

Obtena.7952

I doubt it. You dont see people complaining about the name of Reaper and Chronomancer, at least i havent yet.

Not sure what you mean. You think people posting hundreds of names is a good way to get a new name and no one will be unhappy about the name that is chosen? That’s a pretty optimistic position you got there.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

That may be because Chronomancer sounds more on the cool side than not, and Reaper is so bland it slides right past the eyes.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Dante.1763

You doubt it? So you think this an effective approach to getting a new name?

My point was basically: The only name that people have problems with for the new specs is the Dragonhunter. The Reaper, and the Chronomancer where both welcomed, same with the Druid, the Tempest had some negative feedback about it. But only this name has gotten this much negative attention from so many different sources. So yes i do think that if ANET allowed for a poll for the players to vote on a name that it would satisfy alot of the people who have dissenting opinions on the name “Dragonhunter” No matter their reasons for disliking it.

Edit: Im aware that it wont satisfy everyone. But again, it would probably satisfy more of the people who are dissenting against the name “Dragonhunter” than whatever new name could be chosen. But only if Anet chose the names that the most number of people responded with.

Edit 2: Or whatever other names they(being ANET) had thought about. Like i said, if the players voted, and the masses chose Dragonhunter which i would find surprising but never the less if they chose the name then i would regress and stay silent.

(edited by Dante.1763)

Obtena.7952

That’s a nice point but it’s not relevant to what I was saying. If you just want to argue, then feel free to argue with yourself from here on.

Dante.1763

That’s a nice point but it’s not relevant to what I was saying. If you just want to argue, then feel free to argue with yourself from here on.

See my edits~ I realized it was horrible after i posted it, stop being so ninja!

Posted by: Kury.8210

Kury.8210

Frankly, my class could be called Pro-Janitor and other than a slight annoyance I’d be fine. The name is not the important part. What matters is how it plays.

Still, though minor, it is an itch. Sometimes you just gotta scratch.

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

The story how the dragonhunter came to be is a long one with a lot of anger, sadness and a will of justice.

Attachments:

RabbitUp.8294

Greatsword fits, they made attacks feel heavy and devastating + chilling enemies in fear, you can use Scythe or Greatsword to deliver killing blow. Skills like “Gravedigger” or “Reaper’s Grasp” give nice flavor. It’s very fiting. The Reaper is just named after core mechanic you say? Then what about dragonhunter? Using your logic here like with the Reaper, there is nothing in the skills/mechanic in dragonhunter that justify it’s name! I see you chose conveniently to ignore the rest of my previous post. I have to quote myself to remind you. Any answer to this? Do I wrongly assume that consistency is important?

That’s the second time you completely ignore the shouts. Reaper as a name gives no indication what the spec is getting, outside of the class mechanic. No, greatswords and shouting have nothing to do with the Grim Reaper.

If your only justification is that greatswords are big and scary, then any horror fantasy archetype fits the bill just as good, if not better, than Reaper.

Even if you think there’s no much of a link between a Guardian and a Dragonhunter, it’s more than easy to see why a Dragonhunter would use a longbow and traps.

RabbitUp.8294

Yup just looked! The Mesmer page is normal and the necro thread is pretty depressing. So i guess just as normal

There are people that don’t like the names, myself included.

The primary reason the issue with Dragonhunter was more apparent was the disconnection between the theme of Guardian and Dragonhunter. Otherwise, all the arguments used to shoot the name down can apply just as easily to the other names.

(edited by RabbitUp.8294)