Dueling?

Dueling?

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Seishiro.7468

Seishiro.7468

I wish they would create a dedicated duelarena, either a special PvP map that is not so vast and not in the rotation, or a zone in the PvE world you could use to duell(like the Arena in the black citadell).

I don’t like the idea of open world duelling but with a dedicated duelarena it would work without a problem, because having to create a PvP map that is used for teamfights for 1v1 duels is a way arround the problem, but no solution). This way, your game in the open world is not “interrupted” by people duelling everywhere, but it would still be a nice option for those that want to do it but don’t like to go through the hassel of doing the whole custom pvp arena nonsense.

“Trust in iron, not false gods” Karnar Ironclaw, Centurio of the Iron Legion

Dueling?

Posted by: Prophet.6257

Prophet.6257

Someone told me that dueling is finally coming to GW2 in HoT, but I haven’t been able to find any official sources confirming that.

Anyone know whether or not we finally get to duel each other?

It’s possible but nothing definitive yet.

I don’t think it would be considered a “major feature” so it still may be coming to Tyria. Let’s hope so. Especially if it’s isolated with a more emphasis on making it a spectator sport.

Dueling?

Posted by: Monoman.2068

Monoman.2068

Dueling is just like GvG. It’s something that could be done using the things the game already offers. But they are both unsupported.

I don’t give a toss about dueling, I’d rather they put effort in to other content.

Some of us do. Besides, anet can just use the resources that they waste on adding and removing things like the new player experience.

Laviere – Hybrid Wellomancer
Makonne – Hybrid Regen Ranger

Dueling?

Posted by: Carlin Sanders.3587

Carlin Sanders.3587

dueling is not what makes people say no.

it’s the crowd that it draws that do so.

Dueling?

Posted by: MrDark.8632

MrDark.8632

No.

“Duelers” would just be the same WvW roamer thieves who will ask for a duel on even the slightest disagreement.

The amount of toxicity it would create on the PvE community is not worth it.

~ Blue Darkpurr

Dueling?

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

• Players get to duel uninterrupted anywhere they want.

Are you sure? Are you absolutely sure they won’t be interrupted by other players or mobs?

They can’t get interrupted by players because players can’t do anything about it. If duelers get interrupted by mobs, then that’s okay.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

Dueling?

runeblade.7514

dueling is not what makes people say no.

it’s the crowd that it draws that do so.

A crowd of duelers? I don’t see whats wrong with it.

Dueling?

runeblade.7514

No.

“Duelers” would just be the same WvW roamer thieves who will ask for a duel on even the slightest disagreement.

Which doesn’t happen. I never seen toxicity in dueling throughout my MMORPG years. It is only in these dueling threads that I hear about dueling being toxic. Recently, I went to WoW, and Rift. I never get duel request. So I put myself in a spot where I get duel request. When I do get duel request and I reject them, they moved on. I didn’t get a single insult. When I do accept them and win, they said good fight and moved on.

Duels being toxic is highly exaggerated.

Dueling?

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

this effort would take too much away from designing a new zone/class/etc u think? it’d be comparable amount of effort?

If by “comparable effort” you mean “comparable to designing a new zone, class etc”, then you might be right. In which case i’d take new zone/class/race any time. If you think however, that all dueling needs is some “flag”, and that coding it would be easy, then no, you are wrong.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

(edited by Astralporing.1957)

Dueling?

Posted by: Terrahero.9358

Terrahero.9358

Are you sure? Are you absolutely sure they won’t be interrupted by other players or mobs?

They can’t get interrupted by players because players can’t do anything about it. If duelers get interrupted by mobs, then that’s okay.

So me throwing skills in the mix is not going to affect anyone? Not even remotely distracting either?

I’m willing to bet within no time at all duelist would complain about others players around. Getting in the way, distracting, pulling mobs.
And of course the GVG crowd will get mighty rowdy that other unsupported play styles get adopted but not theirs.

(edited by Terrahero.9358)

Dueling?

Posted by: Adamantium.3682

Adamantium.3682

I don’t get the fear mongering. I’ve played other games with dueling and I’ve never experienced griefing based on it. Also those games have always had options to auto ignore dueling requests. Griefing may happen, sure, but I don’t think griefing comes from dueling. Griefers will use anything as a vehicle to bug other players, it shouldn’t be a reason to include a feature or not.

The idea that someone is going to chase you around a PVE zone spamming dueling requests humors me. 90% of dueling would happen in Lion’s Arch and other hub cities just like other games with this feature.

[TNO] Gizmo Gigawatt (Engineer)
Jade Quarry

Dueling?

Posted by: Mouse.1024

Mouse.1024

Dueling Exists via the sPvP Custom arenas labeled “1v1 Dueling Arena”

Dueling?

Posted by: Monoman.2068

Monoman.2068

So me throwing skills in the mix is not going to affect anyone? Not even remotely distracting either?

I’m willing to bet within no time at all duelist would complain about others players around. Getting in the way, distracting, pulling mobs.
And of course the GVG crowd will get mighty rowdy that other unsupported play styles get adopted but not theirs.

That’s far better than a zerg running through your dueling posse, or hell, people who simply wait for you to begin dueling to gank your opponent. The GvG crowd should be rowdy that this games name is cake.

Laviere – Hybrid Wellomancer
Makonne – Hybrid Regen Ranger

Dueling?

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

to clarify up front, I don´t really have strong feelings about this topic. Yes, I think the toxicity from a certain kind of duellers is real, but I never bothered with random internet fools myself, I am a set to ignore at first annoyance kinda guy. BUT: As they just removed WvW map completion after countless “I don´t want to do pvp” whining posts over the years, it seems really, really unlikely they´ll turn around and bring a new pvp mode to pve maps. But then, Anet hasn´t exactly been known to have a coherent direction for this game, so who knows.

Dueling?

Astralporing.1957

Without utilizing instances, and thus moving the fight somewhere else (which is already doable through sPvP arenas), it would be extremely hard to do. The current engine simply doesn’t sem to support it, and would have to be completely rewritten.
Now, you are simply put in a group that says who can attack you, and who you can attack. Even if you created a new, special “duel” group, whose members could attack each other, but couldn’t be interrupted by “pc’s and allies” group, all someone would need to interrupt you, is to start a separate duel in the same place.

In order to get the system you want, that system would need to be changed to remember aggro separately against multiple individuals. That seems like a core change, which is a major undertaking (and thus unlikely to happen, especially not for such a trivial reason).

Additionally, all the troll zerg would need to interrupt you, even if interacting wouldn’t be possible, is to stack on top of the fight. I bet the duel would be really cool when both combatants would be unable to see each other.

Actions, not words.

Dueling?

Posted by: Joey.2769

Joey.2769

Dueling in sPvP doesn’t allow for all of the extra stat changes that are available outside of sPvP.

Commander X Swagalicious X
Commander Twerknificient
Joey Bladow

Dueling?

Astralporing.1957

Dueling in sPvP doesn’t allow for all of the extra stat changes that are available outside of sPvP.

Then obviously what you should be asking for, is sPvP instance areas that use pve gear and food buffs.

Actions, not words.

Dueling?

Posted by: Jaxom.7310

Jaxom.7310

Then obviously what you should be asking for, is sPvP instance areas that use pve gear and food buffs.

obviously. this makes more sense than enabling a right click, duel option.

Dueling?

Posted by: bloodletting wolf.2837

bloodletting wolf.2837

I was honestly hoping for the option to duel inside of guild halls.

Kaa Mchorror NSP grenadier [hayt]

Dueling?

runeblade.7514

Without utilizing instances, and thus moving the fight somewhere else (which is already doable through sPvP arenas), it would be extremely hard to do. The current engine simply doesn’t sem to support it, and would have to be completely rewritten.
Now, you are simply put in a group that says who can attack you, and who you can attack. Even if you created a new, special “duel” group, whose members could attack each other, but couldn’t be interrupted by “pc’s and allies” group, all someone would need to interrupt you, is to start a separate duel in the same place.

In order to get the system you want, that system would need to be changed to remember aggro separately against multiple individuals. That seems like a core change, which is a major undertaking (and thus unlikely to happen, especially not for such a trivial reason).

How do you know sPvP doesn’t support it? I’m pretty sure you don’t work for ANet.

Additionally, all the troll zerg would need to interrupt you, even if interacting wouldn’t be possible, is to stack on top of the fight. I bet the duel would be really cool when both combatants would be unable to see each other.

Which requires a zerg. Please tell me how realistic for a zerg seeking out duelist just to troll them.

Dueling?

Astralporing.1957

How do you know sPvP doesn’t support it? I’m pretty sure you don’t work for ANet.

I never said sPvP – it does indeed suppot it, using instances. I said open world PvE. And i don’t need to know the internal working of the engine to see the results.
Mind you, the bandit camp bug in silverwastes was quite revealing on the issue.

Which requires a zerg. Please tell me how realistic for a zerg seeking out duelist just to troll them.

Considering that one of the common points brought by the open wold duelist supporters is that they want to duel waiting for world bosses? Very realistic.

Actions, not words.

Dueling?

Posted by: UnknownRH.4592

UnknownRH.4592

Holy freaking hell some of the posts in this thread. Some of us dont even have a clue what dueling stands for and just saying no PvP in PvE area!!! Have any of those people ever played another MMO. Dueling is not a gank mechanic where you are doing some PvE stuff in Tyria and a thief sneaks up behind you and backstabs you to death.

Both players have to agree to the duel (One invites to a duel and other has to accept) and it starts with a green light that they are good to go. If you do not wish to duel another person you just decline the offer. No one else is able to interrupt the duel as they are not invited. Also it saves time to setup your builds in PvP and also load 2 – 3 times to get into HoTM and then into a PvP empty server to test one another and friends. With this you can simply use your PvE builds and test how much dmg you can do by lets say meteor shower a heavy, medium, light class with a specific build. People here just need a reason to cry. Dueling is a feature and not an annoyance.

Centurion in Balkan legion (SFRJ)
Warrior and Elementalist
Far ShiverPeaks

Dueling?

Jaxom.7310

u were talking about how the game doesn’t support being able to duel each other. i think u, maybe someone else, told me earlier in the thread its not as easy as having ‘flags’ to indicate character state, ie enemy/friendly/objects/etc

i came across this event

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Put_on_a_cow_disguise_and_demonstrate_techniques_to_the_cows

the step where u fight trained wurms/wolfs, when in disguise u can dmg the wurms/wolfs, when out of the disguise, if u attack them it just says “Immune”.

indicates there is a way w/ this “engine” to enable fights between two groups (two players in the case of duels) w/o outsiders participating

Dueling?

runeblade.7514

I never said sPvP – it does indeed suppot it, using instances. I said open world PvE. And i don’t need to know the internal working of the engine to see the results.

Considering that one of the common points brought by the open wold duelist supporters is that they want to duel waiting for world bosses? Very realistic.

If you can rally a zerg to insult random players, then I’ll believe you.

Dueling?

Posted by: dwyzl.7249

dwyzl.7249

Having the option to duel would not affect anyone’s game.
Flag on.
Flag off.
If someone’s griefing you to duel, block them.
We all know which segment of the population doesn’t want dueling.

Go auto-attack the Karka Queen until you get something shiny.

Dueling?

Posted by: TheRandomGuy.7246

TheRandomGuy.7246

Having the option to duel would not affect anyone’s game.
Flag on.
Flag off.
If someone’s griefing you to duel, block them.
We all know which segment of the population doesn’t want dueling.

Go auto-attack the Karka Queen until you get something shiny.

Well you just proved that guild wars 2 does not need a dueling.

Dueling?

Astralporing.1957

If you can rally a zerg to insult random players, then I’ll believe you.

Why insult? Haven’t you ever seen any attempts to fight a costume brawl near a big zerg? It always ends with a ton of people standing in the same spot. Why would you think duelling would be different?

Actions, not words.

Dueling?

Posted by: Jozeiax.8465

Jozeiax.8465

a real dueling feature would be AMAZING and is definately definately needed

all i’ve heard is that anet are looking into it as its something they would possibly like to add

Dueling?

Posted by: nacario.9417

nacario.9417

I would love to know how resource heavy would it be for anet to implement open world dueling, in a controlled way, for instance through options or in an own area lkke crown pavillion or black citadel arena (which gives insentive n reason in visiting old places). A few of my friends have been talking about this and we really dont get why anet cant just tell us if itll be there or not, since they chose to comment on it at release dates nearing 3 yrs ago, i believe it was said somewhere it woild be added but i cant find the quote..

I understand that there r ppl against it but it only is an addition like dungeons for others, which is a core feature for many. We also see newcomers in this game wanting to learn their class more foe wvw through dueling. Having that sweet spot in cities would be something.

Power Ranger PvP
I used to be a power ranger, now not sure anymore

Dueling?

Astralporing.1957

I would love to know how resource heavy would it be for anet to implement open world dueling, in a controlled way

Truly open world, instead of instanced? From what i have seen, rather heavy. Current system just doesn’t seem to support personal aggro. Instead, it works by assigning mobs and people to groups, and manages aggro between groups. You really wouldn’t want your dueling be interrupted because a second group decided to duel in the same spot, and you got aggroed by both of them…

Actions, not words.

Dueling?

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Maybe arena duels, like the arenas at the Crown Pavilion. In this case, several arenas with a cap of 2 people in each one. The dueler speaks to an NPC and selects an arena and is ported there. The person who want to duel him also speaks to that NPC and chooses that arena.

To ward off trolls camping the arenas, each arena has a timer and once the timer ends, the person is kicked out. After that, there is a period of time that a char on that account can’t enter an arena.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Dueling?

Posted by: Test.8734

Test.8734

Meh, I hope ArenaNet will never waste resources with this, and rather use them for more worthwhile features.

Dueling?

Posted by: maha.7902

maha.7902

Meh, I hope ArenaNet will never waste resources with this, and rather use them for more worthwhile features.

like gem store items and kasjory living story content

:)

Serah Mahariel – Death and Taxes

Dueling?

Posted by: Test.8734

Test.8734

Ah, you meant you wanted the artists and the writers to program dueling, instead of the programmers? Well, it would be something fun to see, at least. It would not work, but would look pretty and have a huge lore backstory. Probably something with Scarlet, even.

Dueling?

Posted by: Gern.2978

Gern.2978

I think the best option for this would be to make a small arena type area that is a “free for all zone.” That is, an area where you can attack any player, even if they are from your server and in your party. That way the crowd who says they don’t want to be pestered with dueling invites would be satisfied, and there would be a system for dueling people.

The system would work like this: Two people want to duel, they party up so they will be in the same instance and then go to this arena and then proceed to fight each other. Or, you feel like dueling random people, so you go to this arena and fight the other random people who have gone here for the same purpose. It would basically be like the arena in obsidian sanctum, except connected to the megaserver, and everyone would be targetable.

A-net could make it a specific area in heart of the mists, or even in Lion’s Arch or really anywhere that allows people from different servers to interact with each other (basically anywhere except WvWvW).

I personally would love to see this, because it would provide a much easier means of testing and practicing WvW roaming builds than the current system of wandering around hoping to find someone to fight.

Hi, my name is Gern, and I’m an altoholic….

(edited by Gern.2978)

Dueling?

maha.7902

Ah, you meant you wanted the artists and the writers to program dueling, instead of the programmers? Well, it would be something fun to see, at least. It would not work, but would look pretty and have a huge lore backstory. Probably something with Scarlet, even.

personally I don’t care about dueling, was just making a joke about the content ANet usually bring out which doesn’t really interest me.

Dueling?

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

Then I say ANet should add it because it is worth the ‘sacrifice.’

Let’s see just how far up the chain what you say goes…..

Dueling in Open World just isn’t going to happen, so I suggest not holding your breath.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Dueling?

Posted by: Liberis.9573

Liberis.9573

Open World dueling could happen. I haven’t given up hope lmao. From one of the BWEs: http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/46820-when-are-they-planning-to-put-in-dueling/#entry1678003

Dueling?

Jaxom.7310

Open World dueling could happen. I haven’t given up hope lmao. From one of the BWEs: http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/46820-when-are-they-planning-to-put-in-dueling/#entry1678003

unfortunately that was approx a millennia ago, and people/devs can change their minds. i think they said they didn’t want to do 1st person cams, but now we got a version of it.

i think theres a video linked in 1 of these duel threads where the anet guy said he’d like to some day, but it just hasn’t gone up the priority chain enough.

i’m all 4 it as i’ve said many times, and so have others. others said they don’t. by now anet prob has a good feel for how we, on the forums at least, feel about it in general and they’ll do what they think is best.

either way, we can keep dreamin they add it, others keep hopin it isn’t, and we all keep enjoying gw2 regardless

Dueling?

Posted by: Wetpaw.3487

Wetpaw.3487

JQ Druid

Dueling?

maha.7902

welp, there we go boys

case closed, thread over

Dueling?

Astralporing.1957

Yes, that’s the often brought up Colin quote, that (like a ton of other dev quotes) was never followed by any in-game development. Don’t count on it having any importance for the future.

Actions, not words.

(edited by Astralporing.1957)

Dueling?

Posted by: Wetpaw.3487

Wetpaw.3487

Yes, that’s the often brought up Colin quote, that (like a ton of other dev quotes) was never followed by any in-game development. Don’t count on it having any importance for the future.

Precursor crafting is mentioned right before the dueling response. Like other features/content when it’s ready and to Anet expectations they will release it, and if not they won’t.

JQ Druid

Dueling?

maha.7902

“I don’t like the quote so it’s probably not true”

gotta love people

Dueling?

Posted by: Dante.1763

Dante.1763

“I don’t like the quote so it’s probably not true”

gotta love people

Except he/she does have a point. Just because someone says something doesnt mean they are going to do it. It may happen, it may not. I just hope that if it does happen. They make an opt out option that blocks anybody from whispering you if you have it turned on because i do not want to deal with the trolls that will happen.

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

Dueling?

Posted by: Leonhardt.8164

Leonhardt.8164

dueling is already in the game bro, please be more specific

Dueling?

Posted by: Latinkuro.9615

Latinkuro.9615

Someone told me that dueling is finally coming to GW2 in HoT, but I haven’t been able to find any official sources confirming that.

Anyone know whether or not we finally get to duel each other?

Dear A.net,

Can you please give these [censored] a place far, far out of the way, maybe call it testing grounds, beat them up cafe or something.

So they can finally stop bugging you and “us” already. Please, pretty please.

The last thing gw2 needs is dueling in PVE world !

But I do understand some people feel the need to measure their e-pens, so please, give it to them without disturbing the PVE areas.

Thank you.

Dueling?

nacario.9417

Ive never seen those screens before where Jon Peters says that, thanks! But yeah, well over 2 yrs old :P

Power Ranger PvP

Dueling?

nacario.9417

No.

And what about the PvE elitists kicking people for the slightest thing in dungeons? It goes both ways. People are at risk when doing anything, but that doesnt mean we should limit ourselves with less content options due to “bad manner”. Thats what you got block for, or just ignore the guy.

Power Ranger PvP

Dueling?

Posted by: Aktium.9506

Aktium.9506

Are you all forgetting that the code needed for dueling is already in the game?