Eir [SPOILER]

Eir [SPOILER]

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: MunkeeBreath.9165

MunkeeBreath.9165

Did anyone else notice how Braham was holding a bow in the HOT purchase picture? If you think about it, it would make sense seeing as how dragon hunters are using bows and Eir has a long bow. Besides, I believe that HOT will be a little darker than the rest of GW2 and to introduce this new type of setting, they would perhaps start with the death of a beloved member of Destiny’s Edge…

To find the picture, go to services, my account, and just look at the HOT “buy now” picture.

Eir [SPOILER]

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

Just because Braham is using her bow doesn’t mean Eir is dead. Eir could be using the new Ranger elite spec and is not using her long bow anymore so gave it to Braham.

Or she’s gotten a new bow and has given hers to Braham. Or she made him a duplicate of her bow.

Any number of reasons that do not amount to Eir’s dead.

Eir [SPOILER]

Posted by: Janderson.4670

Janderson.4670

I don’t think Eir is dead….. most likely Braham has found her bow among the wreckage and assumes the worse. Thats my guess and i feel this way cause i dont think they would start killing off all of Destinys Edge….

Eir [SPOILER]

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

We don’t know yet. But, after that heart-to-heart with Braham in the last Living World episode . . . a lot of people predicted Eir’s end. Again, we won’t know for sure until the expansion.

Gone to Reddit.

Eir [SPOILER]

Posted by: Sonickeyblade.8415

Sonickeyblade.8415

I don’t think Eir is dead….. most likely Braham has found her bow among the wreckage and assumes the worse. Thats my guess and i feel this way cause i dont think they would start killing off all of Destinys Edge….

I actually think that quite a FEW of Destiny’s Edge will bite the dust. Just so they can replace them with the characters from Living World Season 2 cast. I got that feeling reading up on the Season 2 LS on the Wiki.

With Destiny’s Edge not being in the limelight anymore and these new characters rising up, I could totally see the old Destiny’s Edge going away and a new one being formed.

Eir [SPOILER]

Posted by: Diovid.9506

Diovid.9506

I actually think that quite a FEW of Destiny’s Edge will bite the dust. Just so they can replace them with the characters from Living World Season 2 cast. I got that feeling reading up on the Season 2 LS on the Wiki.

With Destiny’s Edge not being in the limelight anymore and these new characters rising up, I could totally see the old Destiny’s Edge going away and a new one being formed.

I don’t think they will die so much as being phased out due to responsibilities they have to their respective races. Logan is the de facto leader of the seraph, Rytlock seems to be the de facto leader of the blood legion troops present in the iron legion’s territory and so on. It makes little sense, to me, that they are out there adventuring. Blows like the destruction of the pact fleet, the possible wounding/capture of Eir, Zojja and Logan and the mysterious behavior of Caithe might be enough to disband DE, permanently this time. Giving room for DE 2.0 to take over their role.

Eir [SPOILER]

Posted by: Brother Dulfite.5793

Brother Dulfite.5793

DE 2.0 is not nearly as good as the original. Nothing beats the Rytlock and Logan frenemy thing.

Eir [SPOILER]

Posted by: Bolbo Baggins.8594

Bolbo Baggins.8594

Or, how about Eir will become the first Druid, and doesnt need a bow anymore, she uses a staff!

Eir [SPOILER]

Posted by: DresdenAllblack.1249

DresdenAllblack.1249

Bolbo’s theory works, but they killed Snaff, so why wouldn’t they Kill Eir? It’s either Eir or Trahearne, who would you rather?

Angelina is free game again.
Crystal Desert

Eir [SPOILER]

Posted by: Petrol.9086

Petrol.9086

Bolbo’s theory works, but they killed Snaff, so why wouldn’t they Kill Eir? It’s either Eir or Trahearne, who would you rather?

Uhh.. is that a joke? Trahearne.. duh

Eir [SPOILER]

Posted by: Adngel.9786

Adngel.9786

In the Art book of GW2, they mention that writers had difficulties with Eir character, they didn’t like she were so dramatic (blaming herself for Snaff’s death and abandon her son), as it could make her too much boring to be a Norn player’s mentor.

Maybe their dislikes for the character kept growing and decide give her a final end… >D

Eir [SPOILER]

Posted by: Zalladi.4652

Zalladi.4652

There was an earlier thread discussing this over here.

Eir [SPOILER]

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

Oh one of these threads again, the art department like to take liberty’s with what they do. same as there has been art work of people holding spears on land, but we don’t have them. I would not read too much in to anything that the art department do as a story spoiler.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Eir [SPOILER]

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Or he just bought a copy of Eir’s bow on the trade post, like us players :P

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Eir [SPOILER]

Posted by: flipyap.5789

flipyap.5789

Already confirmed that the npc charcters will take the role of the new elite specs. Braham will be a dragonhunter in HoT, that’s why he has a bow. And Marjory already has a Greatsword.

Eir [SPOILER]

MunkeeBreath.9165

Already confirmed that the npc charcters will take the role of the new elite specs. Braham will be a dragonhunter in HoT, that’s why he has a bow. And Marjory already has a Greatsword.

Source?

Eir [SPOILER]

Posted by: Diovid.9506

Diovid.9506

Source?

Marjory has been confirmed to be a reaper when HoT was announced. Braham is speculated to be a dragonhunter based on artwork showing him with a bow (and a Eir-ish one at that).

Eir [SPOILER]

Posted by: starlinvf.1358

starlinvf.1358

Or, how about Eir will become the first Druid, and doesnt need a bow anymore, she uses a staff!

They do seem to be paving the way with Rytlock being the first Reverant… EVER. With there always being a few missing pieces to the Profession puzzle that is DE, spreading them out amidst the first and second gens is probably how they want to make things interesting.

Eir [SPOILER]

MunkeeBreath.9165

Source?

Marjory has been confirmed to be a reaper when HoT was announced. Braham is speculated to be a dragonhunter based on artwork showing him with a bow (and a Eir-ish one at that).

Although yes that seems to be apparent with the DE 2.0 characters, it is still not a confirmation, just mere speculation…

Eir [SPOILER]

Posted by: Ravenhunt.2735

Ravenhunt.2735

Its realy Eirs bow he is holding? Maybe its only for the new profession for the guardian class.

Ventari says: “Act with wisdom, but act”
Meme says: “Meme?”

(edited by Ravenhunt.2735)

Eir [SPOILER]

Posted by: Mem no Fushia.7604

Mem no Fushia.7604

Taimi will be forge cuz she studied metal spliting in ls2.

Rox, what I noticed from dialogue with that new with lady from ls scarlet recap, she told that Rox healed allies, took care of them etc.. so I don’t think that she will take Staff to not overlap her supportive abilities.

I can see that Garm die and Eir, she lost bow so she takes that wooden stick to help moving. Norn commune with spirits. Remember inviting that vip norn to Pale Tree, that said that they commune with spirits, but never did it with spirit of big tree, so for everetyhing is the first time <—(rather my interpretation than exactly what he said). She will commune with jungle. Imo there is additional plot to her to go that way.
She always wanted to be chosen by bear, cuz of jora legacy etc.. Maybe now bear will look upon she instead of wolf. She will go in the mists, starting new trail that bear spirit and jora will guide her. It can be good topic for what after hot story will happen. It can open few interesting paths how to develope story and that particular character in future.

Eir [SPOILER]

Posted by: Inimicus.7162

Inimicus.7162

Copy/paste from a reddit post:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3fbhut/new_marjory_reaper_banner/ctnvk9i

Between DE1 and DE2 there are enough, in fact I think every profession is represented at least once, and if you include Canach, there are 11 total members.

1 Braham Dragon hunter

2 Logan guard unknown

3 Rox ranger/unknown

4 Eir ranger/unknown, Eir or Rox could be made into Druids

5 Canach is already a mixed bag, mostly warrior in presentation, likely to get the warrior elite spec

6 Rytlock already known to be our first NPC Revenant. Normal or elite spec variant unknown.

7 Taimi is learning metallurgy from that Charr, likely some version of the Engi elite spec

8 Zojja Elementalist likely to fill the role of tempest

9 Marjory Necro and likely first major NPC Reaper.

10 Kasmeer, Mesmer and most likely to pick up Chronomancer

11 Caithe Thief, if she rejoins us, she will be the most likely current candidate to carry the thief elite spec

One of the unknowns, Logan, Rox or Eir could be turned into the Reaper spec that Rytlock doesn’t use. Most likely candidates are Logan or Rox, due to their personal relationships with Rytlock. Even more so potentially Rox because she’s somewhere in Rytlock’s unknown past.

Also Eir or Logan are the most likely candidates for story telling death in HoT, they are the double up professions, and both yield story arcs relating to their deaths. While I assume they’re going to kill Eir for a short term cop out to explain Braham’s Dragon Hunter rage issues, their high concept of a holy man willing to do bad things for his mission.

Logan, who is the only one with romantic ties to a world leader, provides a much larger story, with a whole lot less personal drama, if he is killed instead of Eir. The currently damaged Krytan Royal Locket and the unfinished Foefire cleansing needs Ascalonian Royalty to make their story arcs true.

I would really rather prefer they didn’t kill any of them (except Trahearne, but I wanna be the one to put him down). It looks as if they are gearing up for it though, and my biggest concern is that they haven’t shown that they can make the situation emotional enough. The death of our mentors at Claw Island was… disappointing, but not particularly heart wrenching. Especially now, that we’ve had these characters running with us for years, and not just 8-10 missions of our personal story, if they kill any one of these, I need to feel my heart being torn from my own chest watching.

Man tears.

Trigger warning.

I wanna be so upset by it that I can’t play for a week.

When you kill a super important friend/ally who’s been around a long time, you had better be ready to make somebody feel like they just lost a loved one. You gotta make us watch them die, or even we need to see their final moments from their perspective. It needs to light our blood on fire and keep us up obsessing for 48 hours….

Well this turned into quite the rant

Yes, there are enough between both groups to fill all professions and elite specs by extension.

Eir [SPOILER]

Posted by: snow.8097

snow.8097

i read somewhere that her voice actor is currently recording for HoT, so i guess she is still alive
but doesnt mean she cant die later

Safi/Clio Del Ray |Ranger, Elonas Reach,
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Suggestions-Gemstore-Items/page/31#post4533037
the skrittfinisher was my idea!

Eir [SPOILER]

Posted by: Hylgeriak.8250

Hylgeriak.8250

DE 2.0 is not nearly as good as the original. Nothing beats the Rytlock and Logan frenemy thing.

So much this. Logan, Rytlock, Eir – all very epic and mature heroes of Tyria. But that weird looking Charr abomination (Rox), the not-so-bright Norn, that blond barby doll (Kasmeer)? They all seem very simple and flat compared to the DE characters. Probably that’s owed to their young age…but I wouldn’t have mind seeing our group members maybe 20 years older. They all seem like kids instead of epic heroes. The only interesting character to me is Taimi (and somewhat Marjory).

Kyrgyz Manas – Gandara[EU]

Eir [SPOILER]

Posted by: Bartender.1674

Bartender.1674

John Snow is not dead

Eir [SPOILER]

BrotherBelial.3094

John Snow is not dead

You know.nothing.

I’m interested to see if everyone makes it out alive.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|

Eir [SPOILER]

Posted by: Ignavia.7420

Ignavia.7420

Of course Eir is dead, she just reconciled with Braham.

Eir [SPOILER]

Posted by: Aye.8392

Aye.8392

I think it is very likely that Eir is dead. I’ll be surprised if she isn’t.

www.AlchemyIncorporated.net
Sorrows Furnace

Eir [SPOILER]

Posted by: Petrol.9086

Petrol.9086

Man tears.

Trigger warning.

I wanna be so upset by it that I can’t play for a week.

When you kill a super important friend/ally who’s been around a long time, you had better be ready to make somebody feel like they just lost a loved one. You gotta make us watch them die, or even we need to see their final moments from their perspective. It needs to light our blood on fire and keep us up obsessing for 48 hours….

Easy there Mr.Martin…

Eir [SPOILER]

Posted by: Xecil.2798

Xecil.2798

New Revenant Legend confirmed

Eir [SPOILER]

Posted by: Lunar Sunset.8742

Lunar Sunset.8742

Did you have to rez this thread? This thread was fine as speculation but now that HOT is out this is a spoiler.

Sunset
50/50 GWAMM x3
I quit how I want

Eir [SPOILER]

Posted by: Avascar.9237

Avascar.9237

This title is now a spoiler, lol.

Edit: Thx u fixed it

(edited by Avascar.9237)

Eir [SPOILER]

Posted by: Mike.7263

Mike.7263

Eir’s death was nothing but cheap character development for Braham. ArenaNet killed a character we love just to develop a character we hate.

(edited by Moderator)

Eir [SPOILER]

Posted by: Dashingsteel.3410

Dashingsteel.3410

If they were gonna kill off npc’s why couldn’t it have been from destiny’s edge 2.0? Oh, I guess we had to care about the death.

Eir [SPOILER]

Posted by: Tregarde.6031

Tregarde.6031

I was hoping to at least see her transform into a bear and charge the beast. She transformed a lot in the novel Edge of Destiny.

R.I.P. Eir.

Eir [SPOILER]

Posted by: Dlarnkk.1068

Dlarnkk.1068

Eir’s death was nothing but cheap character development for Braham. ArenaNet killed a character we love just to develop a character we hate.

Uh. . . Brahman isn’t hated. Despite your view. You don’t speak for the entire audience.
While Arenanet may had killed off a beloved character of Destiny’s edge. They decided to this to reveal the brutality of how far writers can go. To destroy your feelings without very little care for their remorse. Six. They’ll even go further to simply make you watch Rytlock get himself impaled by Jormag’s claw. Then being tossed into the ocean to freeze him as he slowly die!

The power goes to the writers. The readers are weak, where the writers are omnipotent. They made you, Pact commander, to allow you to realize that Tyria have issues connecting to real world; Where War will never change. Death is major factor. While it is saddening to see a death of Eir. You cannot skip the fact that writers did this careful step to allow you to realize that Guild wars 2 wanted to force you into reality that you’re at war. Death is common. You’ll alway lose someone you loved dearly. Eir is first to go. Soon other will follow if writers decide to perish them.

Eir [SPOILER]

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

Death is common.

Which is why you can revive dead people with sensual massage?

This was a blatant red shirting and fridging of Eir. Nothing more.

She died only because it was a plot device to establish that things are “super cereal!” and to push Brahm to action and shift classes just as Marjory’s sister’s death did for her.

They couldn’t even give her a heroic death. She dies giving up after being a colossal chump and getting betrayed by a murderous lunatic. The second Faolin tripped I could see what was about to happen from a mile away because “The Gullible Good Guy” is a mainstay of weak writing.

They could have easily had her go into bear mode and do a “I’ll hold it off so you can escape!” death and it would have felt like she at least died for something rather than nothing.

They can’t even be bothered to keep the somber tone of what just happened. You walk into Auric Basin and everyone’s instantly forgotten that a friend just got gutted like a trout in front of them and that another’s wracked with grief.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

Eir [SPOILER]

Posted by: Tinni.4351

Tinni.4351

Death is common.

She died only because it was a plot device to establish that things are “super cereal!” and to push Brahm to action and shift classes just as Marjory’s sister’s death did for her.

They couldn’t even give her a heroic death. She dies giving up after being a colossal chump and getting betrayed by a murderous lunatic. The second Faolin tripped I could see what was about to happen from a mile away because “The Gullible Good Guy” is a mainstay of weak writing.

They could have easily had her go into bear mode and do a “I’ll hold it off so you can escape!” death and it would have felt like she at least died for something rather than nothing.

They can’t even be bothered to keep the somber tone of what just happened. You walk into Auric Basin and everyone’s instantly forgotten that a friend just got gutted like a trout in front of them and that another’s wracked with grief.

To be fair, the only person in Auric Basin with a personal attachment to Eir was Tribune Brimstone and Rytlock being a Charr probably processes grief differently to others. Everybody else would be more worried about Braham but since he had Rox with him, they would just get on with the task at hand.

I thought it was realistic because who has the time to mourn when your other friends are being taken right to the dragon and Caithe was still holding the egg! Plus the death did make the final story mission that much more interesting so I liked how it all built up.

As for how Eir died, it was in keeping with her character because in the story she was always trying to save people. Even people who doomed themselves with their own foolishness. It was also a good way to remind people that while Nightmare court aren’t auto-Mordi allies, they aren’t your friends either. They want freedom yes but so does Canach. But Canach is still willing to fight for others and live by some of the Pale Tree’s ideals. The Nightmare courtiers are all in it for themselves. But that’s another topic.

My brain is shagging under the weight of changes… having six characters was not a good idea!

(edited by Tinni.4351)

Eir [SPOILER]

Posted by: Serophous.9085

Serophous.9085

Ya know, I said before that they wouldn’t kill anyone off anyone in destiny’s edge, guess I was proven wrong.

As for her death and how “she would’ve fought back!” arguement, I don’t think its that easy. Thinking outside of a game, look at her condition. She had to survive a crash from the air, and pretty much had no medical treatment. She was then captured, starved and dehydrated, not to mention kept with Faolin in the same cage. So, as for transforming, she probably didn’t have the power or endurance to do it after going through so much crap. Then throw in getting stabbed. She just had nothing left and accepted her fate.

Now, if I remember correctly, she was basically the one trying to revive destiny’s edge throughout the dungeon stories. So, i guess her dying could be leaving kitten in the group again, like it did with Snaff and the group threatening to split apart, again. Which, it may happen with Destiny’s Edge 2.0 now. Heck, Rytlock even says “this new group is as good as us”. If anything, I think an official passing of the torch is coming.

I still felt bad for her death, but heck, I felt more sadness when Taimi had to sacrifice Scruffy.

Eir [SPOILER]

Posted by: merchantchuck.4875

merchantchuck.4875

I actually really like Braham. So when you say we you are referring to yourself and a select few.

Other than that I was depressed that anet killed off Eir, she was such a good character. If they wanted to kill someone off it should have been Logan. Just sayin.

Eir [SPOILER]

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

I was hoping to at least see her transform into a bear and charge the beast. She transformed a lot in the novel Edge of Destiny.

R.I.P. Eir.

Now that you mention it I completely agree. Why didn’t she become the bear or wolf? Even if the end is the same, she could have died fighting instead of just being fridged for Braham’s character development. If Kasmeer can pump out a bunch of illusions on the Breach Maker because she’s a special little mesmer snowflake, why can’t Eir, one of Tyria’s most legendary norn, die fighting in bear form even in a weakened state? She was well enough that after we free her, she engaged the boss (unlike Logan/Zojja in chapter 15 who need first aid in a much more dire situation). This story has become so centered around the biconics, not only was the Pact destroyed to make way for them, now even Destiny’s Edge are being fridged as character development for them.

As Sero said…starved, dehydrated, probably didn’t have enough energy/endurance to pull it off.

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

Eir [SPOILER]

Posted by: Shinya.2598

Shinya.2598

I rly hope they’ll bring her back somehow. I’m a 22 yr old man and it almost made me cry. It was so sad, but very believable.

Eir [SPOILER]

Posted by: LazyLiam.4982

LazyLiam.4982

Rytlock came back as a revenant, could there be a way that Eir returns as a druid?

I can’t list anything specific, druids deal with healing, maybe she brings herself back, I really don’t know, just wishful thinking

Eir [SPOILER]

Posted by: The one to Rule.2593

The one to Rule.2593

Rytlock didn’t die though.

Eir [SPOILER]

BrotherBelial.3094

Death is common.

Never been in combat have you. If you fall apart the second a friend gets killed, you could end up getting more, or even yourself killed. Once you are somewhere"safe", and by safe I mean as safe as somewhere can be in a war zone, then you fall apart, but quickly pull yourself back together.

This is why PTSD is such a big problem, in war you don’t always get the time to deal with the bad things that happen to you, or your friends. Sometimes it’s not till you get home that it hits you, or that you finally have the time to let it all out, for the unlucky ones, too much time has past and they just don’t know how to feel anymore.

Eir [SPOILER]

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

I was also surprised that Eir didn’t die fighting. It just seemed… insulting to her. Maybe she didn’t have the energy for bear form or whatever, but at the very least she could have run/limped towards the monster, screaming some battle cry. Or she could have just grimaced, instead of looking like her puppy just died. I’m just confused by what message the devs/designers were sending me there. It was a wasted death.

Eir [SPOILER]

Posted by: RedSpectrum.1975

RedSpectrum.1975

Rytlock came back as a revenant, could there be a way that Eir returns as a druid?

I can’t list anything specific, druids deal with healing, maybe she brings herself back, I really don’t know, just wishful thinking

Rytlock didn’t die. Saying someone came back as a revenant is redundant anyway. The definition of a revenant is someone who disappears via death, went missing, abandonment, etc. and then comes back, that’s why the class is called what it is called because Rytlock is literally a revenant, even if he didn’t have new powers he would still be one.

Shawtell, Zen Verani, Rayshia Howen, Iyado, Colace Nzoir, Arteel Fyrien [Teef]

Eir [SPOILER]

Posted by: Tregarde.6031

Tregarde.6031

R.I.P. Eir.

Now that you mention it I completely agree. Why didn’t she become the bear or wolf? Even if the end is the same, she could have died fighting instead of just being fridged for Braham’s character development. If Kasmeer can pump out a bunch of illusions on the Breach Maker because she’s a special little mesmer snowflake, why can’t Eir, one of Tyria’s most legendary norn, die fighting in bear form even in a weakened state? She was well enough that after we free her, she engaged the boss (unlike Logan/Zojja in chapter 15 who need first aid in a much more dire situation)…

As Sero said…starved, dehydrated, probably didn’t have enough energy/endurance to pull it off.

Pfft. She used to carve stone statues with her claws in bear form. Turning into a bear was sort of her thing to do when the chips were down. The least ANet could have done was given her that last moment of defiance so she died like a Legend – never giving up.