Eir's Story [Spoilers]

Eir's Story [Spoilers]

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Daralii.8940

Daralii.8940

Rytlock seemed much more personable in the Personal Story. He seems unnecessarily condescending and rude now.

Not sure why they decided to change his personality.

It starts to change once you’re out of the charr story, actually. He starts off pretty awesome, but once the rest of DE enters the picture, he becomes a jerk. He just gets worse over time, by and large.

They all do, but Zojja’s probably the worst. Her personality does an instant 180 between the asura personal story and DE’s reunion.

Eir's Story [Spoilers]

Posted by: Xstein.2187

Xstein.2187

Just got done finishing the whole story for HoT.

1. Why are you guys trying to justify that Eir was starving, injured from the pact crash, etc. ? It doesn’t matter. They could have written the whole story anyway they wanted to. None of the other members were that badly injured. Therefore, you don’t have to make this assumption with Eir. They also didn’t have to starve her or anything like that. Its like you guys are trying to justify the cutscene based on the previous HoT cutscenes. This makes no sense. Anet didn’t have to justify the death based on the previous scenes because they created the previous scenes and could have changed those previous scenes however they liked.

2. Yes, many believe that her death could have been much, much better. There is also a another topic about this in the “Lore” section of the forums as well as many complaints in the comment sections of youtube videos that discuss this at all. Her death did not have meaning. The creature was not killed, it did not save any lives, and it did not help them escape. She also did not go down fighting like a legend. It also doesn’t matter if she comes back as a druid. This was her chance to die as a legend (even if she comes back, she is only going to die once). There are several ways the scene could have gone that would have drawn less complaints. For example, they could have shown a scene where Eir dodges one strike in great pain. Next, the creature knocks Brahm down. The creature raises its tail and begins to strike to finish Brahm off when Eir dodges in front of the tail just in time, giving her life to save her Brahm. This then would have led to my point 3.

3. The creature was way to easy to kill. After Eir gave her life to save Brahm, there should have ben an epic, difficult fight with more than just basic attacks. It would have at least made the moment a little more special. Brahm could have then helped, both of you taking out your rage on the creature. The best thing that comes to mind here is star wars episode one when Obi-kittenenobi takes out his rage after Qui-Gon Jinn is killed.

4. After the defeat of the creature, there should have been a cutscene where Eir and Brahm have one last moment before Eir dies in Brahm’s arms.

5. Immediately after I finished the whole story, the first place I went to was Eir’s house to see if there was a statue created by Brahm or anything special to commemorate her. I was very disappointed to see that Eir was still alive and well at her house like nothing happened. Please, please, please, fix this. I obviously don’t know everything behind Anet’s decisions. Maybe its impossible to fix this without also changing it for people who didn’t play HoT yet. Having a norn as my main pve character and being together with Eir since the first moment of gw2, it is very disheartening going into her hut and seeing her there after you know she was killed.

Lägertha Lothbrök: PvE Mesmer
Schrödingers Clone: PvP Mesmer

(edited by Xstein.2187)

Eir's Story [Spoilers]

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

2. Yes, many believe that her death could have been much, much better.Her death did not have meaning. The creature was not killed, it did not save any lives, and it did not help them escape. She also did not go down fighting like a legend. It also doesn’t matter if she comes back as a druid. This was her chance to die as a legend (even if she comes back, she is only going to die once).

There are several ways the scene could have gone that would have drawn less complaints. For example, they could have shown a scene where Eir dodges one strike in great pain. Next, the creature knocks Brahm down. The creature raises its tail and begins to strike to finish Brahm off when Eir dodges in front of the tail just in time, giving her life to save her Brahm.

Anything, ANYTHING at all where she at least made an attempt to fight rather than stare at the creature and appear to have given up would have been better. She should have gone down fighting, injured or not. She was a legend. A Norn. This is how it would have been.

Eir's Story [Spoilers]

Posted by: Serophous.9085

Serophous.9085

Ok, so after replaying the story mode on another character, I paid more attention to this scene.

First, the fact still remains that she most likely got wounded after the crash. You can argue about our reality vs the games, but the game has its own reality as well. And since we can die from fall damage, so can she be hurt or killed by it too.

More on her injuries, we can assume there is some internal damage from before, but its kinda hard to show that from the outside other than bruising. But we do see she has a black eye and blood on her face. Also, with the game’s rating, there is only so much they can show.

Next up, being starved and dehydrated for DAYS. We don’t know the exact number since the crash and finding her, so we know it has to be 2+. Attribute to that they were forced to march as well, with injuries, and hungry.

Finally, count the newest injury from Faolin stabbing her. We’ve seen her take a hit before, and pretty much shrug it off or recover pretty fast. Here, she seems to just struggle to pull out the thorn. Heck, I think the most unbelievable part was her perfect aim at this point hitting Faolin.

Now, the creature approaches behind her, and she nods to Brahm, knowing. Now, what does she know? She is going to die? Or understanding the creature is behind her? Well, Brahm shouts it, the creatures falls behind, the screen shakes, so it wasn’t quiet, so it leads me to she was starting to accept her fate that she may not come out of this alive (note, NOT giving up).

Now, she turns and faces the beast, and its the look of determination. In other words, YES she is ready to fight despite her condition, or at least go down fighting.

And then she gets stabbed with the tail. Maybe if she was at her peak condition, it may have grazed her and been a moderate wound. But anet was clearly showing she wasn’t anywhere near peak condition, and in pretty bad condition. She was most likely expecting a front attack with the head or claws, not the tail.

Now, as for everyone pointing out “but she’s an action hero! She did this and this in the book!”, let me ask you this: What makes you think she DIDN’T do that already to stop being captured, or to help Pact members flee as they were surrounded? I am gonna assume she gave it her all to take down the Mordrem that captured her, because chances are at the time, she probably thought they just wanted to kill her. So she already went all out before hand and was STILL taken down eventually.

To sum up:
Fighting turn sylvarie on the ship, surviving a crash, fighting for her life against the mordrem, starved and dehydrated for days while being forced to march, puncture wound from Faolin. I’m sorry, her being able to fight that beast and survive would’ve been really cheap and basically saying “yes, none of the main NPCs will die.”

If something like this doesn’t kill one, then what would? A drago- oh….

You’re adding real logic to an MMO. By that logic, if an Elementalist hits me with any fire spell, i’m screwed.

Does fall damage exist in the game? Yes? Then it applies to her too.

Can bones be broken? Yes. Remember, Brahm got his leg broken by Scarlet with some explosion confined into a room.

So then, going by the game’s logic, she is NOT going to survive a fall from the canopy height unscathed, and then never have any of those wounds treated. As for being starved and dehydrated, if that wasn’t a big deal, then why would it be mentioned at all?

you also have to remember that there is a difference between game play mechanics and story mechanics at points. Because if that difference didn’t exist, then we would’ve just stood over her body and rubbed her till she felt better.

Eir's Story [Spoilers]

Serophous.9085

2. Yes, many believe that her death could have been much, much better.Her death did not have meaning. The creature was not killed, it did not save any lives, and it did not help them escape. She also did not go down fighting like a legend. It also doesn’t matter if she comes back as a druid. This was her chance to die as a legend (even if she comes back, she is only going to die once).

There are several ways the scene could have gone that would have drawn less complaints. For example, they could have shown a scene where Eir dodges one strike in great pain. Next, the creature knocks Brahm down. The creature raises its tail and begins to strike to finish Brahm off when Eir dodges in front of the tail just in time, giving her life to save her Brahm.

Anything, ANYTHING at all where she at least made an attempt to fight rather than stare at the creature and appear to have given up would have been better. She should have gone down fighting, injured or not. She was a legend. A Norn. This is how it would have been.

https://youtu.be/kU5euLJ8pqY?t=76

this doesn’t look like someone who was giving up. And she gets into a fighting stance when the beast roars. At 1:20 we can see this stance better, like she is ready to try and dodge the attack, but fails.

Eir's Story [Spoilers]

Xstein.2187

this doesn’t look like someone who was giving up. And she gets into a fighting stance when the beast roars. At 1:20 we can see this stance better, like she is ready to try and dodge the attack, but fails.

As I said, its not a matter about her being able to dodge, about her being dehydrated, or about her possibly breaking bones in the crash. Read my initial point 1. Its a matter of that they should have made it look like she fought for awhile and gave it her all to save Brahm instead of making it look like she had nothing left and was weak from the start so she just accepted her death. Eir was too important of a character and too strong for Anet to imply the latter.

(edited by Xstein.2187)

Eir's Story [Spoilers]

Serophous.9085

As I said, its not a matter about her being able to dodge, about her being dehydrated, or about her possibly breaking bones in the crash. Read point 1. Its a matter of that they should have made it look like she fought for awhile and gave it her all to save Brahm instead of making it look like she had nothing left and was weak from the start so she just accepted her death. Eir was too important of a character and too strong for Anet to imply the latter.

Your point 1 makes absolutely no sense, as the same logic could be said of Eir herself then if you want to through out what happened previously. We could ignore anything and everything she did up to this point and just say she was a god of tyria suddenly, because we don’t have to justify anything of her past to explain whats going on now. That’s why listening to information beforehand leading up to the scene is important, whether you want to listen or not. So yes, previous cutscenes matter.

As for other members not badly injured, we don’t know that. But we know they WERE captured and placed into those pods and (depending on who you chose) the unconscious one was considered to be in “really bad shape”.

Also, you’re right, they didn’t have to starve her or anything. They could’ve written the story anyway they wanted. So they wrote it like this. And you aren’t happy with it.

So which is it? Can they write it however they want? Or write it however you want?

Eir's Story [Spoilers]

Posted by: Okhu.7948

Okhu.7948

She wasn’t that important. She was whiny and depressing through most of the story and she died a sad depressing death helping a person she should have known not to help but did anyways. Her significance is furthering Bro-hams story now.

Eir's Story [Spoilers]

Xstein.2187

Your point 1 makes absolutely no sense, as the same logic could be said of Eir herself then if you want to through out what happened previously. We could ignore anything and everything she did up to this point and just say she was a god of tyria suddenly, because we don’t have to justify anything of her past to explain whats going on now. That’s why listening to information beforehand leading up to the scene is important, whether you want to listen or not. So yes, previous cutscenes matter.

As for other members not badly injured, we don’t know that. But we know they WERE captured and placed into those pods and (depending on who you chose) the unconscious one was considered to be in “really bad shape”.

Also, you’re right, they didn’t have to starve her or anything. They could’ve written the story anyway they wanted. So they wrote it like this. And you aren’t happy with it.

So which is it? Can they write it however they want? Or write it however you want?

OP:
“To see Eir being impaled in to a nearby tree without one last fight, however futile, is what bring disgrace to her Legacy and in my eyes, even if Eir knew the fight was already lost she would have relished that one last chance to go out fighting with tooth and claw.
Eir could have Become the Wolf and entered a Blood Frenzy to recoup some of her strength, Eir could have and indeed should have gone out fighting, with her honour as a Norn intact.
Eir deserves a Heroes death as she also deserves a Heroes Remembrance.”

First, I was writing to tell OP that I agree with them

Second

You:
“Also, you’re right, they didn’t have to starve her or anything. They could’ve written the story anyway they wanted. So they wrote it like this. And you aren’t happy with it.

So which is it? Can they write it however they want? Or write it however you want?"

They can write it how they want of course. However, writing a story how you want doesn’t’ necessarily mean it will be good story (not saying the rest of the gw2 story isn’t good). It also doesn’t necessarily mean the story telling will be consistent. Many books are written each year. However, good books are generally enjoyed by a large amount of people. In the case of Eir’s death, I have counted 21 people in two threads on the gw2 forums right now who did not agree with how Eir died. This does not include people who blatantly said Eir shouldn’t have died or other variations. It only includes people who didn’t agree with how she died. I also saw many more similar comments under youtube videos I have watched, which is why I have posted here to say I agree with them. I do not enjoy Eir’s death because it appears inconsistent with who she is as a character. She was a main character, a mentor for many of us, and was the leader of Destiny’s Edge. She was also a norn who wanted to build her legend, just like every other norn.

Here are some quotes from gw2wiki about norn

1. “They will never give up on their battle, quarry or friends”
2. “The norn do not fear death as they believe the bold and strong can achieve immortality, but they do fear they will be weak and end up forgotten.”

If Eir simply excepted death without trying as hard as she could to protect Brahm and the rest of the group, this would be inconsistent with 1.
As I mentioned, the creature that killed Eir was not difficult to beat at all compared to other parts of the story. In my opinion, getting killed by a mediocre creature, nearly alone, in a far of place, without appearing to put up even an ounce of a fight is by many standards not very heroic. This is Eir who has went up against elder dragons like Kralkatorrik. To get killed by a measly creature like this without a good fight, even if she is injured and starving, is a joke. To me, and probably many others, this seams inconsistent with number 2. However, the main point is that many people who love Eir and norn have a good understanding of norn culture and Eir. They know that Eir was not there during Brahms childhood and felt bad about that. They also new Eir really wanted to die in battle and be remembered for it. Therefore, putting up a good fight against a tuff creature and dying to save Brahm would have solved many of these issues and would have been a very good death for Eir. It would have brought her peace during her finale moments before death, and this is perhaps what many people in the gw2 community wanted, which is why they may have said they disagreed with the way she died.

You:
“Your point 1 makes absolutely no sense, as the same logic could be said of Eir herself then if you want to through out what happened previously. We could ignore anything and everything she did up to this point and just say she was a god of tyria suddenly, because we don’t have to justify anything of her past to explain whats going on now. That’s why listening to information beforehand leading up to the scene is important, whether you want to listen or not. So yes, previous cutscenes matter.

As for other members not badly injured, we don’t know that. But we know they WERE captured and placed into those pods and (depending on who you chose) the unconscious one was considered to be in “really bad shape”."

Of course I believe point 1 makes sense. The people at Anet cannot just throw out the concepts of norn culture and Eir’s history before heart of thorns because they most certainly did not have any plans for Eir’s death when they made the original gw2. However, they could have changed any events they wanted to in the heart of thorns story line leading up to Eir’s death because they most likely had the whole story line planed out before they made the game. When you go though verdant brink, you can see many people of the pact who can walk and fight after the crash. They could have also made it so the people were very weak when they came out of the pods, but were still capable of doing something, like dodging in front of Brahm to save his life. In fact, if you watch the scene again, you will see that they are quite capable of doing these things. After Eir and Faolain were released from the pods, they started running. If she was strong enough to run, she would have been strong enough to dodge in front of Brahm to save his life. Additionally, Fraolain was clearly strong enough to stab Eir without any problems while Eir was strong enough to throw the knife to kill Fraoline. Therefore, it easily would have been believable for her to put up a little bit of a fight with the creature before giving her life to save Brahm (or something similar). Look at the movie Gladiator (spoiler). He was stabbed and still managed to kill his opponent before falling himself. This was a heroic death. Many believe Eir’s death was not and Anet could have made her look better with a better ending besides a death, that may have been rushed just to add some drama to the story. It is for this reason that many feel like it was just a big kitten slap to Eir, who many have grown attached to as a character.

(edited by Xstein.2187)

Eir's Story [Spoilers]

Posted by: reapex.8546

reapex.8546

making it look like she had nothing left and was weak from the start so she just accepted her death.

That was the point, she had nothing left. She gave her all to survive and in the end, she had no extra energy reserves left. She survived the crashed, she fought off hordes of mordem to give Pact soldiers a time to escape, was captured, starved, dehydrated, and stabbed. Then somehow she manages to hit Faolin, it was incredible she could do that. Everything I listed was all physical, that doesn’t take into the account the emotional and mental suffering she endured. I’m surprised she could even run, she’s a truly epic norn. Her legend and death will be one to remember, imo.

Eir's Story [Spoilers]

Xstein.2187

making it look like she had nothing left and was weak from the start so she just accepted her death.

That was the point, she had nothing left. She gave her all to survive and in the end, she had no extra energy reserves left. She survived the crashed, she fought off hordes of mordem to give Pact soldiers a time to escape, was captured, starved, dehydrated, and stabbed. Then somehow she manages to hit Faolin, it was incredible she could do that. Everything I listed was all physical, that doesn’t take into the account the emotional and mental suffering she endured. I’m surprised she could even run, she’s a truly epic norn. Her legend and death will be one to remember, imo.

Ya, suppose its probably just in the eye of the beholder. Still would have liked to see her do more than just stand there when it attacked and would have liked her death to have more meaning. However, can’t change what already happened. We can only discuss it. However, it would be awesome if they put a statue of Eir up by her hut instead of just having her alive there still greeting you with “I wasn’t expecting you”.

(edited by Xstein.2187)

Eir's Story [Spoilers]

Daralii.8940

Ya, suppose its probably just in the eye of the beholder. Still would have liked to see her do more than just stand there when it attacked and would have liked her death to have more meaning. However, can’t change what already happened. We can only discuss it. However, it would be awesome if they put a statue of Eir up by her hut instead of just having her alive there still greeting you with “I wasn’t expecting you”.

You can say the same for the Pale Tree, who’s still just standing there and talking about Scarlet’s death. They really couldn’t have updated either instance for characters that finished Dragon’s Reach/Hearts and Minds?

Eir's Story [Spoilers]

Posted by: reapex.8546

reapex.8546

I agree

Eir's Story [Spoilers]

Serophous.9085

Well then, if people we like aren’t suppose to die, and if apparently a forum force of people demanding change can work, I think it’s time I have a heart to heart with J.R.R. Martin…

Eir's Story [Spoilers]

Daralii.8940

Well then, if people we like aren’t suppose to die, and if apparently a forum force of people demanding change can work, I think it’s time I have a heart to heart with J.R.R. Martin…

I have no problem with characters dying so long as it’s done well and matters. Eir died pitifully and the only character that mentioned it after the fact was Braham. Her death was done purely for cheap shock value.

Eir's Story [Spoilers]

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

Or…… she Obi-Wan’d it! That’s what I’m going with for now. That maybe Wolf didn’t abandon her after all.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

Eir's Story [Spoilers]

Posted by: Ephemiel.5694

Ephemiel.5694

Eir, as a NORN, died horribly. The Skalds will not sing about she seemed to accept death without a fight.

Btw, i LOVE how you say that game mechanics should apply to her yet contradict yourself by saying that, if they did, we could’ve simply revived her. Good job when you have no real argument.

Also, no offense, but that is not a fighting stance. She was preparing herself for the blow she knew was coming.

“Would you kindly?”

(edited by Ephemiel.5694)

Eir's Story [Spoilers]

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

Or…… she Obi-Wan’d it! That’s what I’m going with for now. That maybe Wolf didn’t abandon her after all.

Obi-Wan’s ghost was in the rest of the trilogy so it wasn’t like the character was killed off, just killed.

Eir's Story [Spoilers]

Serophous.9085

Eir, as a NORN, died horribly. The Skalds will not sing about she seemed to accept death without a fight.

Btw, i LOVE how you say that game mechanics should apply to her yet contradict yourself by saying that, if they did, we could’ve simply revived her. Good job when you have no real argument.

Also, no offense, but that is not a fighting stance. She was preparing herself for the blow she knew was coming.

You are absolutely right.
No Norn will ever tell her tale of how she fought off dozens of turned sylvarie on a pact ship while it was attacked by mordremoth in the air.
No Norn will tell how despite being battleworn, she was still able to survive an airship crash.
No Norn will tell how even after being battleworn, surviving a crash, she still had the strength to fight the mordrem that came for her and any other survivors, doing whatever she could to not get captured and protect others until she was finally rendered unconscious.
And no Norn will absolutely not tell the tale how despite being starved and dehydrated and finally rescued, she still put others ahead of herself and even stopped to save Faolin, a villian, who in turned stabbed her for her kindness and self-sacrifice.

You’re right, there is NOTHING redeeming about her in this whole escapade. NOTHING.

And again, do people even listen to the cutscenes and story? Does fall damage exist in the story part of the game? YES. If it didn’t, why does the group wait for kas to teleport them down to the bottom of steep cliffs? Why not just jump themselves? They won’t get hurt!

Brahm didn’t break his leg against Scarlet! He found a shiney copper and was distracted by it!

Farin’s teacher didn’t lose an eye! Eye patches are just cool!

Why did Logan bother capturing Rytlock who was about to fall into lava? He would’ve just swam out and been fine.

Bodies strewn on the jungle floor inside poisonous areas didn’t die from poison. Assassinations don’t happen, I can go on from story parts of the game and piece together how the story world works.

How bout instead of looking at her final moments, look at the rest of her life and decide if it is worthy to a Norn. She fought an elder dragon and almost killed it, and lived. She’s been on more hunts more dangerous than any normal Norn has ever faced, and so on.

As for her stance, yeah, that is STILL a fighting stance, waiting to see what your opponent is going to do and react. Its a defensive stance. We don’t know what she was thinking exactly, but my guess would be a frontal charge, not a tail stabbing. If she thought that, then she figured she’d be able to survive and either counter, or stay defensive until help arrived.

In the end, look at what it took to take her down. They had to wear her down, constantly keep assaulting her till she finally couldn’t fight anymore, with all these deadly events and situations one after another. I mean, they took her to her limit and that was the only way to kill her. That just makes her more kitten in my mind.

Eir's Story [Spoilers]

Posted by: Paulash.5814

Paulash.5814

The reason Anet killed off Eir was pretty simple. Out of all the member’s of DE, she had the least potential to become an interesting character. I don’t think it is arguable that her personality had little-to-no depth and that she was generally pretty kitten cliché. Her purpose in the end was only to help characterize her son and add some depth to his personality in the way he dealt with her death. She was a lost cause and Anet clearly recognized that. RIP Eir.

Eir's Story [Spoilers]

Daralii.8940

The reason Anet killed off Eir was pretty simple. Out of all the member’s of DE, she had the least potential to become an interesting character. I don’t think it is arguable that her personality had little-to-no depth and that she was generally pretty kitten cliché. Her purpose in the end was only to help characterize her son and add some depth to his personality in the way he dealt with her death. She was a lost cause and Anet clearly recognized that. RIP Eir.

Then why not kill off Zojja, since they’re never able to include her because Felicia Day seemingly doesn’t have time to record?

Also, the devs previously said that there were stories behind how she met Garm and why he’s the only black wolf in Tyria. Garm’s missing on top of everything, so I guess those plot threads are as dead as Eir.

(edited by Daralii.8940)

Eir's Story [Spoilers]

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

Then why not kill off Zojja, since they’re never able to include her because Felicia Day seemingly doesn’t have time to record?

Also, the devs previously said that there were stories behind how she met Garm and why he’s the only black wolf in Tyria. Garm’s missing on top of everything, so I guess those plot threads are as dead as Eir.

Because Zojja’s too cute and brilliant to die.

Eir's Story [Spoilers]

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

I can’t really agree with that, because of all the DE members, Eir seemed to be the most willing to step aside and support you rather than trying to remain a hero. (You really get a lot of that from playing through the norn starting story.)

They could have gotten some good development out of her doing just that, stepping aside and becoming someone that supports you, but doesn’t run into battle with you. She could have been the one off gathering information for you while you were in the field, or sweeping in with reinforcements when you needed them. She could have played “den mother” to DE 2.0 when needed. (And indeed, who better to be a “den mother” than a follower of wolf, the original den mother.) She could have been the Alfred to our Batman, or Jarvis to our Avengers.

But… again…. once the rest of DE entered the picture, her personality changed and never really went back. So, she’s dead now.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Eir's Story [Spoilers]

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

Also, I wish my Norn characters would have reacted more emotionally than my Charr characters to Eir’s death, considering her position in my Norns’ lives.