Elite Specializations & Hero Point Feedback [Merged]

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Laraley.7695

Laraley.7695

RIP my alts.

15chars

its not as bad everyone is making it out to be, its really okay, really it is

4 maps with 10 HP x 10 = 400 HP’s and if have done map completion or just done all the HP’s in core game you already 1/2 way to unlocking full elite spec. You just need just 60 HP to just to use it.

It really is. I can’t imagine running all of my 16 lvl 80’s through the new maps just to unlock elite specs.

Posted by: Jaquento.5384

Jaquento.5384

well looking at the interactive trailer… it says masteries is their new progression system, it seems they again did the same thing they did with the faq… making it sound like masteries are for progression and the elites are for getting a new playstyle.

also about working for (fully) unlocking the elites… thats not what people have problems with, its the way you HAVE to unlock them, you cant do it by exploring and mastering your class in the old world, you have to do jungle heropoints to get it done. and again, you cant chose in what order you want to progress, cant skipp runes/skins or whatever is mixed in there, what are they mixed in there for anyways?? you have a fixed path to unlocking your skills and masteries, and you cant chose one over the other.

Posted by: Pompeia.5483

Pompeia.5483

Everyone seems to forget there are skins/runes/sigils in that count too… and likely near the end of the unlock. So you do not have to do as much as you think you do to unlock all the traits/skills to use the spec. I would guess anywhere between 250-300 for that and the rest for the cosmetic stuff. Needs less panic

The only issue is, for alt’s that are played casual, you may not see an elite spec in a long while.

Amanda Corsiva – Revenant && Katereyna – Chillomancer
Jenna Gracen – Scrapper && Merit Sullivan – Guardian
Daenerys Ceridwen – Druid && Vexia Gracen – Chronomancer

Posted by: Sizer.3987

Sizer.3987

Depends on how long the hero points in the new zones will take to get. 40 of them sounds like a lot, but if theyre like the ones in the old zones, you can run through a few maps and get 40 on an alt in like an hour (I know, youll have to play for an hour to unlock things, what a horrible grind!). Yea the first time through you will have to explore the zone first and probably unlock gliding to get to some, but for alts i bet you can do almost all of them in 2 hours tops.

Unless they take like an hour each to do, which would be 40 hours (still probably less time it takes to hit the new levelcap in other mmos), and in that case it would be terrible, and id agree fully with the OP.

80 Mesmer – Yaks Bend

Posted by: Laraley.7695

Laraley.7695

RIP my alts.

15chars

4 maps with 10 HP x 10 = 400 HP’s and if have done map completion or just done all the HP’s in core game you already 1/2 way to unlocking full elite spec. You just need just 60 HP to just to use it.

It really is. I can’t imagine running all of my 16 lvl 80’s through the new maps just to unlock elite specs.

I have 22 lvl 80’s and I have no problem going through the new maps to get the HP’s done

Well, maybe you enjoy farming, I don’t.

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

I’m going to join those saying they’re disappointed, but for a different reason.

I expected a reasonable grind to get the elites, and I was actually looking forward to it a bit. So, I got a handful of HPs on each character I intended to get the elite specs on, with the intent that I’d be able to slowly earn my way up to the rest of them.

Needless to say, I have shot FAR under the mark. Being so far under the mark, it’s entirely impractical for me to even consider going after the ones in old Tyria, now. I don’t really like the feel of the new zones that I saw in the betas, and was looking forward to unlocking as I worked across more “casual” zones, but if I want to unlock them I HAVE to go into the jungle sooner or later. And the sooner, the better, due to getting x10 HP per spot.

Grindwall, level all pokemon to level 100

Now I wish my personal Guild was called “Team Blissey Base”.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: Pukc.6328

Pukc.6328

It is a grind. It not very long grind or a very time consuming(some to require you have some masteries) but it is a grind. It is essentially grinding those 10 levels to get max in other games when they release an xpack but the goal is different. That aside its very unlikely that anet will change it. So options are hold hope they will, get over it or play a different game.

p.s. I played eq1, I know what a grind is.

Posted by: MrH.2591

MrH.2591

RIP my alts.

15chars

Only my main has anywhere near map completion, my alts are screwed.

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

Lazy? BS. How many hours a week do you work? I bought this game because it could still be fun with a packed schedule and not leave me in the dust as a consequence for my life taking priority and requiring most of my time and effort.

I work about 38-46 hours a week, will work more with Christmas coming up with peak. I never claimed you as a person are lazy I ment in game, the whole concept of unlocking perks for your class is too hard please give it to me on a silver plate is dumb..plus this is a free mmo..not like you are forced to squeeze in 40 hours of gameplay a week to get your months pay, slow and steady, what’s the rush?

I’d love ~40 hour work weeks again. To put it simply, my free time to play usually hovers about fifteen hours per week, which is often spent doing things like… laundry and cooking. Some weekends I get to indulge more, but unfortunately this isn’t common.

And that’s it; when I have the time to entertain myself and indulge in playing video games, I don’t want to have to work in the game to get to the fun parts. If I wanted to work to get to the “fun parts” of things, I’d just spend all of the rest of the time I have working to retire sooner. And even further, I do like to do other things with my free time than dedicate myself to a single online game.

And then, being an old person at the end of things doesn’t really sound like fun, either.

While yes, there should be a certain amount of “work” for things – accomplishments, titles, skins, and the likes – this game was designed around play-ability being number one and the achievements as mentioned above being nothing but achievements, which were intended to let some people go as far as they want to, and play the game in any way they wish to get to those goals in due time. I’d like to think of unlocking things being more appropriate to aesthetics and minor details rather than preventing access to an entire way of playing said content.

While I’d be okay with 400 HP to unlock the specializations account-wide, it’s just the need to put forth such an immense effort per character feels completely unnecessary and arbitrarily labor/time-intensive, not to mention account-based systems would scale better into the future with yet-released specializations. It’s not like the story progression gives any reason for the specializations to be unlocked, either. The gating is just arbitrary for people to be locked into playing the new content.

Posted by: neptunechild.4831

neptunechild.4831

Lazy? BS. How many hours a week do you work? I bought this game because it could still be fun with a packed schedule and not leave me in the dust as a consequence for my life taking priority and requiring most of my time and effort.

I work about 38-46 hours a week, will work more with Christmas coming up with peak. I never claimed you as a person are lazy I ment in game, the whole concept of unlocking perks for your class is too hard please give it to me on a silver plate is dumb..plus this is a free mmo..not like you are forced to squeeze in 40 hours of gameplay a week to get your months pay, slow and steady, what’s the rush?

I’d love ~40 hour work weeks again. To put it simply, my free time to play usually hovers about fifteen hours per week, which is often spent doing things like… laundry and cooking. Some weekends I get to indulge more, but unfortunately this isn’t common.

And that’s it; when I have the time to entertain myself and indulge in playing video games, I don’t want to have to work in the game to get to the fun parts. If I wanted to work to get to the “fun parts” of things, I’d just spend all of the rest of the time I have working to retire sooner. And even further, I do like to do other things with my free time than dedicate myself to a single online game.

And then, being an old person at the end of things doesn’t really sound like fun, either.

While yes, there should be a certain amount of “work” for things – accomplishments, titles, skins, and the likes – this game was designed around play-ability being number one and the achievements as mentioned above being nothing but achievements, which were intended to let some people go as far as they want to, and play the game in any way they wish to get to those goals in due time. I’d like to think of unlocking things being more appropriate to aesthetics and minor details rather than preventing access to an entire way of playing said content.

While I’d be okay with 400 HP to unlock the specializations account-wide, it’s just the need to put forth such an immense effort per character feels completely unnecessary and arbitrarily labor/time-intensive, not to mention account-based systems would scale better into the future with yet-released specializations. It’s not like the story progression gives any reason for the specializations to be unlocked, either. The gating is just arbitrary for people to be locked into playing the new content.

THIS!
400 HP is simply too much especially when you play all classes. It makes me miss GW1 so much in which unlocking system was so easy to use.

Posted by: Alukah.2063

Alukah.2063

Sometimes I think people would’ve cried less if they said you need 40 “jungle points” instead of hero points.

Take notes for the next expansion.

Posted by: Gankez.2731

Gankez.2731

u actually expect people to grind out upwards of 33 extra levels just to play an “elite spec”.. the same spec that the MAJOR selling point of ur expansion… we buy the stupid thing and you tell us oh.. btw.. go grind out levels.. right.. lol

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

Once you finish masteries on your account, traveling the Jungle will be with ease, and it should be very easy to obtain the elite specialization on anyone.

Plus, you can get the potions from WvW.

What exactly is the issue here? You guys survived without the Elite Spec for 3 years. Now you finally get to work for it.

Posted by: Shoe.5821

Shoe.5821

you don’t need 400 HP to use the elite specs. half of it is complete nonessentials.

Gankez.2731

the issue is we shouldnt have to “work for it” who enjoys grinding? its a pain in the kitten for no reason

Gankez.2731

eh kitten it im just gonna uninstall.. waste of money lol

Posted by: TJgalon.5012

TJgalon.5012

Your right, why earn something, let just go right to the end of the game now, hehe.
400 points is only 40 jungle points, and I am not even sure how many of the 400 needed. On top of that, any hp earn in the core maps, is part of this, like my engi already has 200 hp to start her role as a scrapper.

Posted by: fixit.7189

fixit.7189

I ditched my main that has world completion due to race so re-rolled different ones. I really hope I don’t have to play it since my alts have barely any thing done in that aspect (88/122 skill pts per). Just imagine new players that have even less. I hope it’s not an epic grind, dare devil for thief for instance is pretty lame until the last tier.

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

It’s just 40 jungle points… If you bought the expansion, you’re going to be spending a lot of time in the jungle anyway.

Besides, do I have to remind you again that you will be getting rewards in WVW that auto-boost them?

I know you’re anxious because the patch is taking so long to download, but try out the new system.

Posted by: Haste.8610

Haste.8610

It’s just 40 jungle points… If you bought the expansion, you’re going to be spending a lot of time in the jungle anyway.

Besides, do I have to remind you again that you will be getting rewards in WVW that auto-boost them?

I know you’re anxious because the patch is taking so long to download, but try out the new system.

Can you explain what jungle points are and how to obtain them? Never heard of them before but if it makes the long 400 HP grind shorter I’m all ears.

TJgalon.5012

Can you explain what jungle points are and how to obtain them? Never heard of them before but if it makes the long 400 HP grind shorter I’m all ears.

Jungle points is just short for hero points earn in the jungle. Each one is worth 10 hp. Mostly anet decided it was unfair to ask people to earn all of core hp and the jungle ones. but if you did do the core hero points, that like 200, and so a good boost to earning them anyways.

fixit.7189

I dun play wvw currently so it’s all pve for now. :\

Whatever, just grinds. Won’t be using dare devil anyways .

Posted by: Haste.8610

Haste.8610

Jungle points is just short for hero points earn in the jungle. Each one is worth 10 hp. Mostly anet decided it was unfair to ask people to earn all of core hp and the jungle ones. but if you did do the core hero points, that like 200, and so a good boost to earning them anyways.

Where do you get them? The new zone?

TJgalon.5012

The 4 new jungle maps I would assume, in the HoT.

Posted by: Aomine.5012

Aomine.5012

My worst nightmare come true.
I am someone with all 8 professions all lv80, and most of them have 150+ Hero Challenge Points.

However, even with 210 Hero points, I can only use adap trait after spending all the points, which is literally an unusable trait-line.

We have to play-through the whole Maguuma on all our characters, rush the map as fast as possible, just to unlock kittenable elite spec.

This is very bad. If it’s gonna cost 400, we should be able to CUSTOMIZE the way we unlock, like choosing which to unlock first and such, that we can actually have a USABLE ELITE SPEC while exploring the jungle.

Now you basically tell us to use the old spec and play through the entire HoT new maps before we can test our Elite Spec. Everyone would be rushing over the maps, ignoring everything, just to get the Hero Challenges so they can actually start playing the game regularly later on.

In my opinion, this is the worst design I’ve ever seen in an expansion.

(edited by Aomine.5012)

Posted by: DippyDragon.3180

DippyDragon.3180

I can’t work out if any of you have QQd or not – but if you have, can I has your stuffz?

~~ The Tarnished Coast ~~
[i7 6700 Skylake – 32Gb RAM – 240GB SSD – GTX970 – Corsair Water Cooling]

Posted by: Eponet.4829

Eponet.4829

you don’t need 400 HP to use the elite specs. half of it is complete nonessentials.

Right, except that the entire master and grandmaster trait lines are gated behind picking up every single other adept trait and skill first, regardless of whether or not you want them.

200 points doesn’t even get you the ability to select 3 traits.

Posted by: Amaya.1483

Amaya.1483

i was really suprised when i saw this..

Posted by: ferdi.1452

ferdi.1452

I can understand your frustration, but there are already a dozen threads about this …

Posted by: Silicato.4603

Silicato.4603

We have to play-through the whole Maguuma on all our characters, rush the map as fast as possible, just to unlock kittenable elite spec.

I dont understand your way of thinking.

“As fast as possible”?

Do you know that you can play as a normal toon, right?, you dont need (or even have to want) play an elite.

It is just a trait line XD

I wont rush anything, and less this.

Posted by: Arrow.4619

Arrow.4619

Yes but they managed to structure the unlock in the worst way they possibly could: One single line that includes traits and skills. That means not playing the elite specialization until well into HOT even if you have 200+ points since no one in their right minds will play a kitten trait line on a level 80 character in the “challenging” new area. Why they skritt aren’t the traits in one line and the skills in another?

Nerf Shadow Arts condition cleanse. Gut the
Acrobatics trait line. Then sell it back
to them for $50. Brilliant! – ghost of P.T. Barnum

Posted by: DrMatt.9408

DrMatt.9408

How much to unlock the new weapon? I just want to wield shield on my rev will worry about rest later

Posted by: choovanski.5462

choovanski.5462

time to unlock those trash gyros on three engineers. oh baby y’all hurtin me.

. Engi & Warr . Beta > 2017 Death of PvP
currently a Boyfriend main :P
Waiting To ReRoll Mystic & Forget About Tyria

Posted by: NTDK.4897

NTDK.4897

How much to unlock the new weapon? I just want to wield shield on my rev will worry about rest later

you can unlock right now. you only need a few hero points to unlock weapon from training wheel (Hero menu, 3rd tab)

ign: Larxene Rakushinu
Incoming Quaggans [iQ]

Posted by: gavyne.6847

gavyne.6847

It pains me, I was hoping some people were right in saying “it won’t be as bad as people think”. But looking at it, it’s definitely as bad as people thought. I’m gonna do this for one character, but no way I’m doing it for 11 of my other chars.

Posted by: Rasimir.6239

Rasimir.6239

Wait, how did you get from 190 points missing to having to rush the entire new maps???

And how much total points do you need to unlock all traits and utilities minus the armor piece and rune crafting recipe that, according the the release notes, unlocks at the end of the reward track? Or do they actually unlock on top of the last trait/skill?

Posted by: choovanski.5462

choovanski.5462

Wait, how did you get from 190 points missing to having to rush the entire new maps???

And how much total points do you need to unlock all traits and utilities minus the armor piece and rune crafting recipe that, according the the release notes, unlocks at the end of the reward track? Or do they actually unlock on top of the last trait/skill?

you’d know if you read the front page. 20 maguma skil challenges should get it. I’m gonna combo those with WvW.

. Engi & Warr . Beta > 2017 Death of PvP
currently a Boyfriend main :P
Waiting To ReRoll Mystic & Forget About Tyria

Posted by: Mo Mo.1947

Mo Mo.1947

If you’ve been playing the game for a while your main characters should be good to go to unlock all the new trait lines. Yeah it won’t be too fun farming hero points, but that’s why you should just not farm hero points and play your alts as much as you enjoy them.

If your main character(s) don’t have enough points right away you’re pretty new to the game. The elite specs are for enhancing your fully developed level 80. Spend a little more time fleshing out your characters and you’ll be running that elite spec in no time.

Posted by: Shiki.7148

Shiki.7148

400 points for a full elite spec.
10 points per skill challenge in Maguuma
40 challenges.
4 maps. 10 challenges per map.

Considering most maps have 7 to 9 hero challenges per map in the base game, this really isn’t going out of your way for anything. If ArenaNet just decided to drop 4 new maps in, that added 40 challenges into the game, nobody would think anything of it. Great, new content, right? But as soon as you connect it to a spec system, it spawns a proverbial storm. Its odd.

In all honesty, im glad this playwall is here, so when somebody sees an elite spec, they know it really is elite. When im dancing around with my giant scythe on Reaper, I want people to know that I had to beat up a lot of plant-people for that title.

Bring on the jungle. My blade awaits.

“4 maps. 10 challenges per map” … Of which around half cannot be reached without grinding mastery, of which again 1/4th can only be reached with the very last tier of gliding mastery, which is 16 million EXP or something I believe. This IS, in fact, a grindfest. Sure if you already have 200 because of central Tyria like me, you can propably get most of those , but every other is either grinding world completion or grinding mastery for a few weeks.

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140

Posted by: Aomine.5012

Aomine.5012

If you’ve been playing the game for a while your main characters should be good to go to unlock all the new trait lines. Yeah it won’t be too fun farming hero points, but that’s why you should just not farm hero points and play your alts as much as you enjoy them.

If your main character(s) don’t have enough points right away you’re pretty new to the game. The elite specs are for enhancing your fully developed level 80. Spend a little more time fleshing out your characters and you’ll be running that elite spec in no time.

Did you even log in and try it yourself?

With 210 points (ALL THE POINTS YOU CAN GET FROM TYRIA), you’d only able to unlock to ADAPT TRAIT for your specialization.

It’s totally unusable before you acquire all 400.

Posted by: Unknown.3976

Unknown.3976

But u have to unlock those non-essentials to get to the essential skills/traits.

So disappointed with the way elite spec is managed, it is utterly counter-intuitive, there’s zero incentive to equip a partially unlocked elite trait. As of now, we are stuck with core builds.

Posted by: Aidenwolf.5964

Aidenwolf.5964

Do people even play games to build up their characters anymore? Guess not, lets get everything on a silver platter.

Well we did buy the platter.

Buy To Play Guild Wars 2 2012-2015 – RIP
Unlucky since launch, RNG isn’t random
PugLife SoloQ

Posted by: Rasimir.6239

Rasimir.6239

you’d know if you read the front page. 20 maguma skil challenges should get it. I’m gonna combo those with WvW.

Yeah, but the entire new maps contain 40 skill challenges (= 400 hero points). They only need 19 challenges on the character they said has 210 points already, which is far from having to rush the entire new areas.

And to the 2nd part of my previous post, since I can’t get into the game right now, I’m really curious if you need to spend 400 points to unlock the last traits/skills and get the skin and recipe on top, or if those are the last unlocks and you actually need a few challenges less to unlock the “basic” stuff (which would further reduce the amount of new maps you’d “have” to rush).

Posted by: Azelvan.2153

Azelvan.2153

“We have to play the expansion content to get an expansion content? Blasphemy!!”

Posted by: AdaephonDelat.3890

AdaephonDelat.3890

eh kitten it im just gonna uninstall.. waste of money lol

Since no-one else asked… Before you go can I have your stuff?

[BAD] a casual PvE guild on Aurora Glade.
http://bad-eu.guildlaunch.com
The Family Deuce. Asuran Adventure Specialists.

Posted by: walkerinurface.1609

walkerinurface.1609

Why don’t you just go back to Silverwastes, Frostgorge or Orr then? You won’t need your elite specs there. If you want to play the game you have to go through the content. You don’t install the game to have it automatically completed for you. My god you people.

Posted by: Sorel.4870

Sorel.4870

It’s not a grind if it’s not repetitive content. So, if you like open world PvE, do the different hero challenges in Maguuma. If WvW is your thing, you can earn hero points there as well. And if you play pvp, you have every spec unlocked anyway.

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

Gotta love a comedy rage quit.
Of course, he won’t really quit. He’ll play the expansion, accumulate the points and pretend he’s hating it.

fixit.7189

Epic grind for sure lol. Plus you have to do this with every char you like to play. I would have made a training story line for each with nice cinematics + VO to teach players their new spec then have it rewarded unlocked at the end. But no, that would be to expensive so lets just have a smarty trail grind instead. Awesome.

Posted by: Endlos.4852

Endlos.4852

Welp, I’m about ready to uninstall. I’m running around as a kitten trashheap reaper that doesn’t have a single trait unlocked, ignoring everything remotely exciting or engaging about the new content just to locate the general vicinity of hero challenges…. and 80% of the ones I’ve found so far I can’t actually reach because I don’t have the traversal masteries needed.

This is garbage. It’s as “anti-fun” as it can possibly be.