[End Spoilers] It's confirmed.

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Enokitake.1742

Enokitake.1742

Arena Net writers are fans of inception.

I actually kind of liked this ending. I got more Tybalt. And the kill traeherne people have finally been sated. The only thing I didn’t like was getting patched out of the game while the Egg cutscene finished and forcibly reloaded, so I hope nothing happened after that.

(Did something happen after that?) :(((

Posted by: eNeRgOo.5463

eNeRgOo.5463

Egg got corrupted. I think it got a part of mordy mind inside.

Posted by: Sparrowlicious.3890

Sparrowlicious.3890

It was nice to see Forgal again. For a little while.
But what they did to Trahearne makes me never finish the story on any character ever again. I don’t even care for the rewards.
That part of the ending just stinks.
As for the egg:
My best guess is that Mordremoth’s death was like a chain reaction. Who knows? The jungle might be dying without Mordremoth, unless the mindless dragon’s body can survive on it’s own or act as a fertilizer.
Just think about it, Tarir was built as Glint’s legacy and the egg is part of that. Of course something would happen in that chamber. My hope for the egg is that it hatches. That’s all.

Posted by: Juunro.7082

Juunro.7082

But what they did to Trahearne makes me never finish the story on any character ever again. I don’t even care for the rewards.
As for the egg:
My best guess is that Mordremoth’s death was like a chain reaction. Who knows? The jungle might be dying without Mordremoth, unless the mindless dragon’s body can survive on it’s own or act as a fertilizer.
Just think about it, Tarir was built as Glint’s legacy and the egg is part of that. Of course something would happen in that chamber. My hope for the egg is that it hatches. That’s all.

Wait, wait. WAIT. You liked Trahearne? Really?

My first character ever was a Sylvari Guardian- I went through my personal story and he came in as an advisor, a sage that knew about the undead. We went to get a powerful, magical sword that would help against Zhaitan’s minions. I did a cage-match to get it, I fought and fought for it, and finally, we got it. It looked neat, I was all excited. Then the Pale Tree gave it to him because he was the one chosen to beat Zhaitan, and I was some punk destined to be his errand boy.

kitten him.

Axe Murdering, Longbowing tiny Asura Mohawk’d Warrior

Posted by: BIGHARSHNESS.3510

BIGHARSHNESS.3510

As for the egg:

I’m pretty sure most people don’t like Trahearne… including myself. But they did a good job of making me feel bad for him in the end.

Posted by: darkprecure.6129

darkprecure.6129

Trahearne dies? This is bad… So it didn’t end well… HE KNEW ALL ALONG!

Posted by: benjinx.1957

benjinx.1957

Trahearne started out all nice but he turned into a complete tool bag sorry but he deserved his death. And in regards to the sword… It went back to it’s rightful owner.

Posted by: SkyFallsInThunder.8257

SkyFallsInThunder.8257

I dunno, I didn’t like how it ended, it seems really silly to me. Mordremoth kills the Pact fleet and most of the world armies, and then you go and kill it with 4 friends. I mean, seriously?! And you, a human being, can outwill an ancient being of incomensurable power in its own domain… Gifted as you might be, this is plain ridiculous.

Giving a voice to Mordremoth was a mistake IMO. Zhaitan never spoke to you and that was awesome IMO because it underlined its otherness from regular beings, it seemed beyond our mortal views, as an eternal like him should be.

The final battle was anticlimactic but mostly it was very very tedious. I dunno who at ANet decided to give the mobs so much hp and toughness, but it was a horrible ideea. The fights are stupid easy, you can’t die unless you potato bad, but they just take soooo looooong.

Eir was long and stupid, I thought downing Garm would put her in some vulnerable state where she takes more damage while resing him, but it does not, she is just stationary and you can melee a very very very small chunk of her huge hp pool… I ended up longbowing her to death while ignoring Garm.

And Mordremoth… he is a bit more dangerous if you get caught in his attacks, but those are very easy to avoid. And his hp… I think it took me 10-15 mins to kill it at least, I didn’t time it but it felt that way. I got the impression that condi dmg would be better for those fights than power dmg, but I’m not sure (I was running gs/lb on my warr with almost full zerk, ptv rings and amulet and knight gs and one accesory). The fight was still easy because it is very hard to die from dmg (I managed to die twice though, once being hit by a rock while gliding and then falling off the platform, and the second time I got pushed off the platform by Canach), but other than falling from the platform you are guaranteed a kill… eventually.

The duration of this fight needs to be reduced to about 1/3 of how it is now. So does the duration of the Eir fight. The Pale Tree seemed alright I guess.

Also, about Trahearne’s death – even his final action was to make you do something: he can’t even kill himself properly and you have to do it for him… Still, that at least was somewhat satisfying.

(edited by SkyFallsInThunder.8257)

Posted by: Lethalvriend.1723

Lethalvriend.1723

@SkyFallsInThunder, if you would break Eir’s breakbar while she is reviving Garm (only one stun/daze/knockback or so would have been enough) then she becomes vulnerable for about 5-10 seconds where you can do enormous damage to her, even my auto attack did over 13,000 dmg.

Posted by: Calcifire.1864

Calcifire.1864

if you don’t complete your personal story and therefore lack a mentor, trahearne gets summoned as the final illusion.

what does he say as he spawns in?

“This won’t end well… FOR YOU!”

Posted by: Stormbolt.7293

Stormbolt.7293

Giving a voice to Mordremoth was a mistake IMO. Zhaitan never spoke to you and that was awesome IMO because it underlined its otherness from regular beings, it seemed beyond our mortal views, as an eternal like him should be.

The final battle was anticlimactic but mostly it was very very tedious. I dunno who at ANet decided to give the mobs so much hp and toughness, but it was a horrible ideea. The fights are stupid easy, you can’t die unless you potato bad, but they just take soooo looooong.

We never heard Zhaitan talk because he didn’t have the ability to influence minds directly, and because we didn’t exactly have translators like we did with the Sylvari and Mordremoth. For all we know he had deep philosophical discussions with Tequatl during mid-afternoons.

In regards to the fight, Anet must have had a bit of a conflict between designing a huge-scale epic fight that people wanted but would have felt wrong in the story vs a more intimate conflict that would disappoint. They were quite clever in how they resolved the conflict. You get to fight his body in the open world and his mind in the personal story.

Posted by: Hynoris.3684

Hynoris.3684

This so much.

I’m hate to use this overused comparison but the Souls games do this perfectly, let the actions and animations do the talk,when the creature is a imortal being or a force of nature less mean more.

The twirling mustache villain banter is so cringeworthy.

(edited by Hynoris.3684)

SkyFallsInThunder.8257

@SkyFallsInThunder, if you would break Eir’s breakbar while she is reviving Garm (only one stun/daze/knockback or so would have been enough) then she becomes vulnerable for about 5-10 seconds where you can do enormous damage to her, even my auto attack did over 13,000 dmg.

I didn’t have anything to break her bar with since I was running gs/lb, I wanted the gs for the extra dodge, damage and good movement skills and the lb because, well, while not knowing what you are facing, it’s best to have a ranged weapon as well.

Thanks for the tip, though, I’ll be sure to pass it on to my friends who are close to that fight as well! It should reduce the time of this fight tremendously.

Posted by: Absconditus.6804

Absconditus.6804

I just want to pipe in and say I absolutely loved that final fight and mission. People kept saying it was so bugged when I was about to enter, but I only found it to be a bit wonky in the final fight, when you were tasked with either going to Braham (uncertain how it works if you don't bring him, I guess you get him regardless) or bounce up and glide around to avoid the AoE damage (it wouldn't glide a lot of times, and often I wouldn't bounce up either, a problem the bouncing mushrooms have in general). I saw no bugs, just various mechanics that I assume people didn’t understand, and then just chalked up as bugs. This was a really fun fight to solo.

Vella Absconditus | Human Mesmer
Seafarer’s Rest

Calcifire.1864

in mordremoth’s case I think it made sense.

as a non-sylvari you only ever hear him speak in the dream, when you are actually fighting him mind-to-mind

don’t forget that the final battle is just an abstraction of what is going on so the players can interact better, the actual battle would have probably ended up like the last episode of neon genesis evangelion.

we understand him there because for a few brief moments, all players are like the sylvari: part of mordremoth’s mind rebelling against the greater part. hell, he even says “you and I are the same, twisting others to serve your will, why not become one with me?” implying that if you’d failed, you’d have become one of mordremoth’s “seeds” like trahearne nearly did (ie, you would retain an individual independent mind, but that mind would be another individual mordremoth instead of you).

we only understood mordremoth’s mind’s voice because whilst in the dream we were PART of mordremoth’s mind. it’s a shame Kasmeer wasn’t there, they could have added a line where she says she tried to see how you were doing but found your mind as incomprehensible as mordremoth’s whilst you were fighting.

SkyFallsInThunder.8257

I just want to pipe in and say I absolutely loved that final fight and mission. People kept saying it was so bugged when I was about to enter, but I only found it to be a bit wonky in the final fight, when you were tasked with either going to Braham (uncertain how it works if you don't bring him, I guess you get him regardless) or bounce up and glide around to avoid the AoE damage (it wouldn't glide a lot of times, and often I wouldn't bounce up either, a problem the bouncing mushrooms have in general). I saw no bugs, just various mechanics that I assume people didn’t understand, and then just chalked up as bugs. This was a really fun fight to solo.

Heh, I tried standing near Braham but I still took damage so I immediately went to the skies, but indeed the takeoff was often problematic; there was no time for experimenting since the damage dealt was pretty big and done every second, so for me it was either sky or die. The fight was interesting, but the fact that it takes sooo much time to complete (and without any checkpoints) is very annoying. Reducing the hp/toughness of the boss should solve this IMO.

Posted by: Absconditus.6804

Absconditus.6804

I’d rather see that they added checkpoints to the final fight stages, rather than to reduce the Toughness/Health of the final boss. I liked that it took some time. It’s a fight against the visage of an Elder Dragon, it should be conceived as difficult to do. At least in my opinion. I appreciated that it was a bit of effort involved.

Vella Absconditus | Human Mesmer
Seafarer’s Rest

SkyFallsInThunder.8257

I’d rather see that they added checkpoints to the final fight stages, rather than to reduce the Toughness/Health of the final boss. I liked that it took some time. It’s a fight against the visage of an Elder Dragon, it should be conceived as difficult to do. At least in my opinion. I appreciated that it was a bit of effort involved.

A fight taking a long time to complete does not make it hard. It just makes it tedious. The only effort involved was to not die of ennui and to stay away from the ledges to not get knocked off the arena. The mobs you fight are no real threat.

Posted by: SkyShroud.2865

SkyShroud.2865

still waiting for the story to unfold…

what is the elder dragon role in this world? just to destroy or they are there to balance the flow of magic?

why do glint want to replace the elder dragon?

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International Guild
Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

Calcifire.1864

still waiting for the story to unfold…

what is the elder dragon role in this world? just to destroy or they are there to balance the flow of magic?

why do glint want to replace the elder dragon?

we know from the Priory’s transaltions of old tomes that killing off all the EDs is a Very Bad Idea, since losing them would cause tyria to fall off reality.

at the same time, letting the ED’s live is also a bad idea because they are jerks who would drink tyria dry of magic.

most likely, glint’s egg is there to absorb magic like the EDs, but also to be raised by the exalted in such a way that it winds up wanting to protect life on tyria rather than ignore it as the current EDs do, it would still consume and regulate magic, but it wouldn’t do it to the point that it would subject tyria to “the dessication of its magic”

Posted by: Mickey Frogeater.1470

Mickey Frogeater.1470

Arena Net writers are fans of inception.

I actually kind of liked this ending. I got more Tybalt. And the kill traeherne people have finally been sated. The only thing I didn’t like was getting patched out of the game while the Egg cutscene finished and forcibly reloaded, so I hope nothing happened after that.

(Did something happen after that?) :(((

Trahearne’s death went well and could have been done worse: They could have had the player rant about Trahearne grievances towards him(including but not limited to: being given a sword that should have been the player’s, becoming leader of the Pact instead of the player and reducing the player to errand boy) before killing him.

By giving him a said ending they appeased the Trahearne haters and didn’t offend his lovers worse then was necessary. Kormir doesn’t have as many lovers so having one of the characters rant over her stealing his or her thunder before offing her would most likely. Bonus points if the usurper of Kormir’s position of Godhood is Mad King Thorn himself since he was the first ingame character in GW1 to rant about Kormir’s unfair ascendancy.

Posted by: Jephery.8915

Jephery.8915

Treesus died for our sins.

Posted by: Witchking.4380

Witchking.4380

I dunno, I didn’t like how it ended, it seems really silly to me. Mordremoth kills the Pact fleet and most of the world armies, and then you go and kill it with 4 friends. I mean, seriously?! And you, a human being, can outwill an ancient being of incomensurable power in its own domain… Gifted as you might be, this is plain ridiculous.

Eir was long and stupid, I thought downing Garm would put her in some vulnerable state where she takes more damage while resing him, but it does not, she is just stationary and you can melee a very very very small chunk of her huge hp pool… I ended up longbowing her to death while ignoring Garm.

And Mordremoth… he is a bit more dangerous if you get caught in his attacks, but those are very easy to avoid. And his hp… I think it took me 10-15 mins to kill it at least, I didn’t time it but it felt that way. I got the impression that condi dmg would be better for those fights than power dmg, but I’m not sure (I was running gs/lb on my warr with almost full zerk, ptv rings and amulet and knight gs and one accesory). The fight was still easy because it is very hard to die from dmg (I managed to die twice though, once being hit by a rock while gliding and then falling off the platform, and the second time I got pushed off the platform by Canach), but other than falling from the platform you are guaranteed a kill… eventually.

The duration of this fight needs to be reduced to about 1/3 of how it is now. So does the duration of the Eir fight. The Pale Tree seemed alright I guess.

Also, about Trahearne’s death – even his final action was to make you do something: he can’t even kill himself properly and you have to do it for him… Still, that at least was somewhat satisfying.

This is where ppl are wrong. You didn’t take 4 ppl to kill him. we took everyone that was alive. While you’re saving Trahearne and fighting mord in his mind. The entire map is fighting his body above which is the ENTIRE purpose of dragon’s stand map. We killed all 9 ley line collector pods that he was feeding on, took out all of his legendary champs and killed him in physical form while the story ppl are fighting his spiritual form in Trahearne’s mind.

Take a look at Dragon’s Stand meta event.

Posted by: Shadowstep.6049

Shadowstep.6049

I felt bad for Trahearne since personal story. He was scholar, got to take resposibility for 3 spoiled wives (aka orders), got to do lot of paper work and got blamed for everything. I honestly don’t understand why people hate him so much. Would you rather sit all day in some camp and order NPCs? Would you really enjoy such game? Let’s get real, you wouldn’t. Trahearne got the most annoying and unsatisfying job, while player NPC got to do all the fun jobs.

I actually liked that character, was sad to see him die. Worst part, he probably got killed because a lot of players hated on him and Anet decided to twist story to please masses :/

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

People kept saying it was so bugged… I saw no bugs, just various mechanics that I assume people didn’t understand, and then just chalked up as bugs.

No, it is very, very buggy. The actual fight is extremely easy (you don’t even need to dodge, there is almost never any danger in dying), the bugs had me redo it I think 17 times. You got extremely lucky if you didn’t encounter a single bug and finished it your first try.

Posted by: Dengar.1785

Dengar.1785

I never really got the trahearne hate. He was the one who did all the leading and administrative duties while you were the one who got kitten done. It’s a nice dynamic, and you get acknowledged for that too. He’s not even present during the final battle. And he never acts like did anything either. In fact he’s the one who is like “This is the guy who did everything.” points at player

Fluffball.8307

I never really got the trahearne hate. He was the one who did all the leading and administrative duties while you were the one who got kitten done. It’s a nice dynamic, and you get acknowledged for that too. He’s not even present during the final battle. And he never acts like did anything either. In fact he’s the one who is like “This is the guy who did everything.” points at player

I honestly think it’s just that people are influencing each other. It’s a popular opinion that GW players hate Trahearne, therefore, you must hate Trahearne. It’s why they look for people who have never heard of a high-profile crime to serve on a jury.

Posted by: Zalani.9827

Zalani.9827

Fun fact: Trahearne never actually stole peoples credit, he actually congratulates you multiple times in the story. And whats wrong with him keeping the sword? He needed it to cleanse Orr and it was a gift.
Just one instance:
“The world owes you a great debt, Commander. As long as I am Marshal of the Pact, I will see that debt honored.”
“My only regret is that I was not there to see Zhaitan fall. But I shall look forward to the skaalds celebrating your triumph.”
“Congratulations, Commander. We’ve earned the right to set down our burdens for a time and celebrate.”
And of course the entire time to him there are multiple npcs cheering,saluting and congratulating you on your victory.
I seriously don’t get the hate.

Jadis Narnia-Sylvari Ranger of [EDGE]
Dragonbrand

(edited by Zalani.9827)

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

I thought it was an excellent fight, but extremely poor for an Elder Dragon. Built up for 3 years, with an extremely short expac story chain (wow that was short) and you don’t even get to see the full Dragon itself. I really hope when we go up against Jormag, we get to fight Jormag in a big epic scale fight. This one could have utilised so much more of the masteries – it would have made a lot more sense for the final battle to mastery gated, since you need to be strong to take him down.

As a normal boss fight though, it was great. Just wrong for an all powerful, eldritch monster.

Despite the extremely short story for the expansion, it was at least very enjoyable at all points. Was there anything after the final cutscene by the way? New buil hit and I got booted

Zalani.9827

But about the final fight, I liked the idea of it. But it was extremely annoying to complete between the bugs and the gliding lagging up on you. I finally had to do it with a group to get it done.

Dragonbrand

Fluffball.8307

you don’t even get to see the full Dragon itself.

I don’t think there was a dragon (body). He was the entire jungle, and the only way to fight him was his mind.

Dengar.1785

People seem to misunderstand how this dragon works compared to the other ones. His physical body is the whole jungle. You’d always just be fighting his body parts at best.

Randulf.7614

you don’t even get to see the full Dragon itself.

I don’t think there was a dragon (body). He was the entire jungle, and the only way to fight him was his mind.

That didn’t make a huge amount of sense to me to be honest when they said that. How is it defined as a dragon if its just the jungle come alive? How did it have a mouth in the end cutscene of LW?

I think it could have had one, deep rooted with us attacking its body first, using the leyline power, using our gliders to get past its out defences before entering its mind.

The game does an outstanding job of building up a perception of huge physical presence of its eldritch protaganists, but as of yet has only produced small scale fights or at least very confined fights. Nothing that has conveyed the awe and threat of the being we are up against.

Dengar.1785

What are you talking about? Mordremoth so totally has a mouth. You even fight against it.

Also, I wouldn’t call the skies above Arah “confined”. (lots of stuff wrong with that fight, but scale was not one of those things)

Fluffball.8307

How is it defined as a dragon if its just the jungle come alive?

It’s not different from how the other dragons work. They are more “entities” than dragons. Zhaitan would corrupt a random farmer and then know all about how to grow corn. Everything they corrupt becomes the dragon. Who knows, maybe Mordy had an actual dragon shaped root-body underground somewhere, but it doesn’t matter since we can’t kill him that way.

Randulf.7614

What are you talking about? Mordremoth so totally has a mouth. You even fight against it.

Also, I wouldn’t call the skies above Arah “confined”. (lots of stuff wrong with that fight, but scale was not one of those things)

I’ll rephrase since you;re right. The direct interaction is confined since you are involved only on the final cannon phase.

I have seen no mouth or body at all in the story. Is that part of the map meta I hear about? I’ve seen no one doing it yet so I haven’t been a part of that.

Zalani.9827

I’ll rephrase since you;re right. The direct interaction is confined since you are involved only on the final cannon phase.

I have seen no mouth or body at all in the story. Is that part of the map meta I hear about? I’ve seen no one doing it yet so I haven’t been a part of that.

You actually see its face multiple times in the final fight/cutscenes.
It’s like a shadowy version of it.

Dragonbrand

Randulf.7614

I think the confusion is from the Mouth fight I’m hearing about for the map meta. As someone pointed out in the lore forums, the story is “pressing you” past the fight itself straight down south, missing the whole pact vs Mordy fight and straight into the instance.

As Konig pointed out, we got to see the fight unfold as we approached Zhaitan, but here we’re thrust straight to the end once you enter the zone and start the story.

It sounds like what I am looking for is in that section of open world the story seems to skip right through. That will be something I’ll look into tomorrow

Posted by: Mickey Frogeater.1470

Mickey Frogeater.1470

Yes it’s part of the meta event in Dragon’s Stand. Mordremoth’s body is the Jungle because Elder Dragon’s are supposed to be a force of nature. Being literally the whole Maguuma Jungle is infact being a force of nature.

Kralkatorrik literally became a sandstorm in the Edge of Destiny book so Mordremoth literally being a Jungle with a Dragon head attached rather than an ordinary Dragon isn’t surprising.

Posted by: Tora.7214

Tora.7214

Yes it’s part of the meta event in Dragon’s Stand. Mordremoth’s body is the Jungle because Elder Dragon’s are supposed to be a force of nature. Being literally the whole Maguuma Jungle is infact being a force of nature.

Kralkatorrik literally became a sandstorm in the Edge of Destiny book so Mordremoth literally being a Jungle with a Dragon head attached rather than an ordinary Dragon isn’t surprising.

can someone explain, in a spoiler tag if you want, whats the meta on Dragon Stand about?