Flying endurance is not fun.

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Zaklex.6308

Zaklex.6308

~Snip~

and ANet has never, ever mentioned fighting in combat. in fact, while gliding, the player was locked out of her skills. there are flying creatures, and there are ways to take advantage of gliding while fighting them, in that if they overwhelm a platform, you can leap to the next, not fight it in mid air. at most, expect them to be a hazard that just knocks you out of your glider if you come too close.

you people have to stop seeing things that aren’t there, this is worse than the land spears thread.

No one is seeing things that aren’t there, A.net has said that you will have to do some fighting of those flying dragons in the air, which means some form of aerial combat while gliding. Whether it’s with your own skills or skills you unlock via the Gliding Mastery has yet to be seen, but there is supposed to be some advantage you get when fighting those flying dragons by gliding. I can’t imagine it would be just a tool to escape from them or get to a better vantage point to attack from. I’m expecting a limited form of aerial combat mechanic while gliding at a very high level of gliding mastery. It’s possible I’m wrong, but that’s they way I take what has been said so far.

Posted by: Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Where did they say you would fight anything in the air? Please, link it. I have gone over everything they’ve announced regarding HoT (save yesterday’s Ready Up) and not once have I heard we will fight anything in the air.

Dragonbrand |Drarnor Kunoram: Charr Necro
http://www.twitch.tv/reverse830
I’m a Geeleiver

Posted by: BrunoBRS.5178

BrunoBRS.5178

Where did they say you would fight anything in the air? Please, link it. I have gone over everything they’ve announced regarding HoT (save yesterday’s Ready Up) and not once have I heard we will fight anything in the air.

what he said. please provide a source. ‘cause i think you’re misreading the statement i’m quoting (taking advantage of gliders during special boss encounters) as “there will be air combat”.

LegendaryMythril/Zihark Darshell

Posted by: BilboBaggins.5620

BilboBaggins.5620

what he said. please provide a source. ‘cause i think you’re misreading the statement i’m quoting (taking advantage of gliders during special boss encounters) as “there will be air combat”.

“use the air to your advantage in combat against certain foes”

You can find this quote under the heading “What Can I Get From Masteries?” in this article: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/reimagining-progression-the-mastery-system/
Before you go there, yes this is somewhat cryptic and might not mean much more than gliding around and taking their attention off of ground units, but we don’t know because we haven’t been given details yet. You can’t say there is no deep aerial combat involved with the new gliding system in the exact same way I can’t say there is, but something is there or that comment would not have been made.

Posted by: Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

That doesn’t sound like we will fight our opponent in the air, but rather something like dropping bombs or getting a better location to fight them from. After all it says “use the air to your advantage” not “use the air to engage.”

Does not sound like hang gliding will be a method of fighting, but rather something to do while fighting.

Combined with the fact that we know, at least early on, that all skills are locked while gliding, and ariel combat seems downright implausable.

Dragonbrand |Drarnor Kunoram: Charr Necro
http://www.twitch.tv/reverse830
I’m a Geeleiver

Posted by: Shiro Tegachii.5619

Shiro Tegachii.5619

Flying endurance is fun + + , that way you’ll learn you use the maximum out of your glider and if u could fly none stop that would be OP

Posted by: BrunoBRS.5178

BrunoBRS.5178

“use the air to your advantage in combat against certain foes”

You can find this quote under the heading “What Can I Get From Masteries?” in this article: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/reimagining-progression-the-mastery-system/
Before you go there, yes this is somewhat cryptic and might not mean much more than gliding around and taking their attention off of ground units, but we don’t know because we haven’t been given details yet. You can’t say there is no deep aerial combat involved with the new gliding system in the exact same way I can’t say there is, but something is there or that comment would not have been made.

“use the air to your advantage in combat” doesn’t mean “fight in the air”. i provided a very obvious example (one that ANet themselves gave) of leaping from one platform to the next during a boss fight.

and there’s far more evidence against air combat than in support of it. “you can’t prove it isn’t there” is really the only argument in favor of air combat.

the fact that the glider footage we have seen doesn’t change the skill bar points that you won’t get special airborn skills, not even further down the mastery line (compare it to going underwater without any weapons equipped, where your skill bar changes to an empty bar). and you can’t use your regular skills either (just jump off a high place and try triggering any skill and see if it works).

LegendaryMythril/Zihark Darshell