Gliders in Tyria

Gliders in Tyria

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Swellmeister.1324

Swellmeister.1324

So I have been playing the beta this weekend, and I have fallen in love with the glider system. And I wish to know why we cant have them everywhere in Tyria. we discussed this at length on the mapchat, and we came up with two reasons why it shouldnt be included. they are as follows:
1. Map completion. The gliders could possibly make map completion easier. If this were true, perhaps you could make it one of the rewards to a map completion, being able to glide within that map.
2.Jump Puzzles. This one is the one we had problems resolving, as I can think of several that the glider would make easier. Honestly, it would requiring a lot of coding to prevent PCs from gliding. . . .

But none of that compares to the advantages.
1. Bliss. we all love the glider system. And we have all thought about the mountains in the Shiverpeaks. I, for one, wonder what it would be like to sail off of Anvil Rock for Guild Wars.
2.Advertisement. Arenanet, you guys are out to sell HoT to all the F2P characters. You have to. that is how you guys make money. and for a F2P character, nothing would make them want to play HoT more, than having someone glide over their head. I actually sold my friends on the game, simply with the gliders alone.

I understand that this will likely never happen, but if we cant have the glider in Tyria, how about one weekend? the weekend before HoT release, let F2P and Prepurchasers alike try out the glider in Tyria. perhaps that might push a few F2P to buy the game as well.

Whatever you do, keep up the good Work!

Sincerely

Swelly

Gliders in Tyria

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

There is one main reason for why it won’t be available in the core maps: They were not built with gliding in mind and thus all of them would need to be worked on and rebuilt in order for it to work. Something that will take massive amount of time and resources.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Gliders in Tyria

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Maybe they will someday, but as Lordkrall said the maps weren’t built with flying in mind and would need to be reworked first.

If you play WoW or read their forums, flying is in that game but they didn’t completely set up the newest expansion for flying. It took weeks of work for them to put flying in just the new expansion maps. I don’t know how big the Warlords of Draenor maps are compared to vanilla Tyria but I bet they are a lot smaller. Since this game wasn’t made with flying in mind, the amount of work is going to be that much more, just from the map size if nothing else.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Gliders in Tyria

Posted by: ShadowCatz.8437

ShadowCatz.8437

So far I haven’t seen much of under water fights in Verdan Brink as everything is going on in the higher region of land and among trees, so I would think that the older maps have been designed with under water fights in mind (which later have been reduced), something that might interfere with air fights as both will make use of Z-coordinate in an 3 dimensional space (X, Y).

Gliders in Tyria

Posted by: Swellmeister.1324

Swellmeister.1324

So far I haven’t seen much of under water fights in Verdan Brink as everything is going on in the higher region of land and among trees, so I would think that the older maps have been designed with under water fights in mind (which later have been reduced), something that might interfere with air fights as both will make use of Z-coordinate in an 3 dimensional space (X, Y).

I dont understand how there would be an (X,Y,Z) coordinate problem. As far as I know, all characters’ locations are always coded in X,Y,Z coordinates. Otherwise, jumping during battle would not matter. besides from what I could tell from the Beta, you could not attack while in midair. So no aerial combat.

Gliders in Tyria

Posted by: Meridian.4983

Meridian.4983

I think (and pray to the six) that this will happen in the rest of the open world. It will just take time. In reality it will take some re-coding of some areas so we couldn’t glide to an inaccessible area. Though in an open world, I dislike ‘inaccessible.’
Gliding throughout Tyria should happen just for the simple fact that the spread of technology is hard to stop. Something new is invented, used, works well, is used by more and more people and in new places. It just takes time.
Even if no one makes it out of the jungle alive, it would just take one NPC crafter to make a giant sun kite with handles on it, and his idea would spread. If he was programmed to make the kite :p
That’s my argument for gliding in all of Tyria

[NA] | BP
Zombie | God | For the Pass!

Gliders in Tyria

Posted by: Random.4691

Random.4691

It would be fine for map completion if the maps were built for it but jumping puzzles are suppose to be difficult, I think it would be a terrible idea to make them easier. It pretty much takes away the whole point of jumping puzzles.

Gliders in Tyria

Posted by: DTATL.9641

DTATL.9641

It requires more then just recoding to implement this. There would be a need for a more and better hitboxes and most likely some changes to art assets as they were never made to be viewed from specific angles. There is also possible that gliding would allow us to see over the borders of a map into the void which also would have to be fixed. So I’m quite certain we’ll never see gliding in core tyria unless we get an overhaul of it (which it kind of does already in some aspects).

There are also not that many maps with enough height difference to make this really worth it to implement if they don’t change that as well. The only way I could see us getting gliding in core tyria is with living world updates were they overhaul old maps instead of giving us new ones.