Guild Housing: Remembering Fallen Members

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Foghladha.2506

Foghladha.2506

Greetings ArenaNet & Community,

I have a suggestion if it’s not already in the works. I would recommend that there be a way to place statues within a guild hall. Choose from each of the races and perhaps even classes.

As many of you know Gaiscioch suffered the loss of Roger “Oldroar” Rall before the game was even released. ArenaNet was kind enough to name Sanctum of Rall in his honor and place an NPC in game that shares his legend.

What many of you probably are unaware of is that we also have suffered the loss of two more very influential people in our community. Jexia.2406 passed away two weeks ago after fighting throat cancer for the past 2 years and last night we lost Frugster.3265. It would be wonderful if we can place statues within our halls to remember each of these members.

It would go the extra mile if we were able to have a plaque that we could customize to go with each statue. Allow people to enter it in a text field so that they could place messages on certain clickable placeable items.

Gaiscioch plans to build a memorial for these three members once HoT goes live. It would be wonderful if we were able to place statues for each of these members.

Benjamin “Foghladha.2506” Foley
Founder, Gaiscioch Community [GSCH] | Gaiscioch Magazine | Twitch | YouTube | Twitter
Proud Resident of Mercenary Server Sanctum of Rall | 6 Year Extra-Life Charity Event Participant

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

There was another request from a guild in a similar situation. The thread is here for ref

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Exceptional-request-from-a-devastated-guild/first

Personally Guild Hall monuments/plaques/statues is something I’d approve for any circumstance of and it could be customised to a Guild’s preference. In this case in memory of your friends

Posted by: Aedelric.1287

Aedelric.1287

Arena Net have immortalised a small handful of players in game who passed away, but many more were overlooked.

My brother was an avid Guild Wars player but passed away before the release of GW2. A chance to add a plaque/statue in a Guild Hall would mean a lot to the many players who have lost someone close.

“I am Evon Gnashblade and this message is acceptable to me.”

Foghladha.2506

The personal attachment it would create for people would keep them playing regardless of where the game goes. From a business standpoint I would think this would be a golden opportunity to create that personal attachment all games seek to create. I know for Gaiscioch we have made it known that we will not leave GW2 until Sanctum of Rall is taken offline. No matter what happens to the game we will be keeping a chapter here because of that personal attachment to the name. This would create that feeling on a much larger scale.

Founder, Gaiscioch Community [GSCH] | Gaiscioch Magazine | Twitch | YouTube | Twitter
Proud Resident of Mercenary Server Sanctum of Rall | 6 Year Extra-Life Charity Event Participant

Posted by: Thorfinnr Sleggja.1209

Thorfinnr Sleggja.1209

I would suggest also posting in the thread Randulf shared in his comment, so that he Devs see the amount of support for this idea.

I do because I can
I can because I want to
I want to because you said I couldn’t

Foghladha.2506

Thanks Thorfinnr, I reposted it there with a link back here as well. I also sent it to a few of my contacts at arenanet. I think it would be so huge if they allowed everyone to have this kind of personal attachment and way to remember their fallen friends and family.

Posted by: Valdare.6409

Valdare.6409

What a wonderful idea! I don’t know what I can do to help, but I’ll support this in anyway I can.

Posted by: Nate.3927

Nate.3927

I think it’s a good idea to be able to set up monuments in your guild hall where you can add your own text to it. The only risk I see is people putting in inappropriate text, but if it’s only displayed in your guild hall, then only people who know about it will see it anyway, so it should be fine.

Posted by: Eirian Direstorm.9748

Eirian Direstorm.9748

I think this a great idea for honoring fallen members, but I think the idea of being able to put up plaques and maybe statues is good for two other reasons:

• it fits in really well with the new scribe crafting line,
  • and it would be great for RP guilds. They don’t get all that much support, and this seems like an easy way to give RP’ers something fun.

Even outside RP, I can think of all kinds of fun a guild could have with plaques and so on.

Posted by: DresdenAllblack.1249

DresdenAllblack.1249

There is nothing that Anet can say to oppose any of these ideas.

Angelina is free game again.
Crystal Desert

Posted by: Moira Shalaar.5620

Moira Shalaar.5620

Overall I too think this is a cool idea, for many of the reasons already presented. I think that any such monument or plaque would also need the option to edit or remove. In the nature of MMOs and gaming, guilds change, folks move on and sooner or later a guild will end up with people who have no relationship with the individual memorialized and no idea who they were. Eventually there would be someone who wants to take down a monument and the issue will arise with someone demanding the ability to do so.
I do see some genuine potential in this for making guild halls unique and very personal. I guess we will have to wait and see if ANET decides that there is enough merit in this to allocate the development time for it. I could easily see this making it into a feature pack update once HoT slows down a bit.

mid-2011 iMac; OSX 10.9.5; 3.4 GHz Core i7;
16GB RAM; AMD Radeon 6970M 2GB VRAM

Posted by: Naleth.6214

Naleth.6214

As a Gascioch member and avid fan since the original Guild Wars. I fully support this idea. The things I always remember more than anything else from both games are the people I’ve played them with. The Gascioch have been a second family to me since the start of Guild Wars 2, it was the story of Old Roar Rall that caused me to choose The Sanctum of Rall as my home server and seek the guild out. Now, having been with them for over two years, I can truly say it is the joy of playing with them that has kept me consistently involved in the game. As such, it would mean a great deal if Arenanet could ensure we have the ability to honor our fallen members. I have no doubt we will find some way to do so in any case, we are a family, but having the support of Arenanet behind us would make me look even more favorably on a company which I already greatly respect and admire.

Posted by: Skylark.1274

Skylark.1274

I am requesting an expansion of an idea that has already been requested for the HoT Guild Halls.

In the threads at the end of this post, members of our GW2 community have already reached out requesting a way to memorialize a fallen guildie -

…place a monument or grave marker of some sort in our upcoming guild hall

But to expand on tao’s idea, I advocate something along the line of an

Interactive commemorative plaque

An interactive plaque that could be added to any guild hall decoration or building has additional functionality.

For example, if our guild were to lose a dear guildie, we would want to celebrate the times we had with them by maybe dedicating the Tavern in their name. Or maybe to dedicate a beautiful fountain to their memory.

I strongly agree with Crimson,

This way, many guilds could use the feature- for paying respect to lost loved ones or celebrating guild members on their successes.

Celebrating!!!

Celebrating not only the memory of a fallen guildie, but celebrating the successes of current members.

An interactive plaque would provide a guild with added functionality only limited by their imaginations.

- recoginizing a guildie who gets to dragon rank in sPvP
- applauding the guildie who is always there to help new players learn the game
- recoginizing the guildie who we embrace because of their eccentric personality
- commemorating an epic duel in the arena
- celebrating a guildie, who after hours and hours, days and days, accomplishes their personal goal of completing Troll’s Revenge by themselves on a Charr necro with NO help!

The Guild Hall will be many things; a place to socialize, a place to relax, a place for epic battles, a place to remember dear friends, and a place to CELEBRATE.

ANET – Help us Celebrate our guildies!

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Exceptional-request-from-a-devastated-guild/first
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/hot/Guild-Housing-Remembering-Fallen-Members
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/In-memory-of-a-lost-friend

Posted by: ProfessorMaximustheGrapist.9087

ProfessorMaximustheGrapist.9087

Bump. I think this is a fantastic idea and will def make guild halls more personable.

Posted by: Linfang.1087

Linfang.1087

Being a Gascioch member also I would like to see some kind neat floating tome in a pillar of brilliant light listing our fallen members. Or a statute with candles and the Guild leader can edit the inscription when people click on it. Very easy coding that already exists in the game.

In the end, after all the loot, levels and monsters killed. Long after you logged off , and even uninstalled the game, the thing you carry with you is the community, and the people you connected with on your journey.

Posted by: Skylark.1274

Skylark.1274

Bump. I think this is a fantastic idea and will def make guild halls more personable.

Thank you Professor.

Ironically, I originally posted my “idea elaboration” in it’s OWN thread entitled “ANET – Help us Celebrate our Guildies.” A forum moderator merge it into this older thread saying “Merging threads with a common theme.” Honestly, I found that pretty dismissive of my idea – seeing as how it was an attempt to broaden the functionality of the “memorial” or “dedication” idea.

I am so glad you bumped it Professor. Maybe some others will have the chance to see it.

I probably should have posted it on Reddit instead. Live and learn.

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

As I said in the other thread. This is a good idea. As you wouldn’t have to do them for friends you have lost. But to honor members of your guild for what ever you want. Like services to the guild or wining a guild event. I think it would be good if we could use it for the happy times in life, as well as the sad.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Thorfinnr Sleggja.1209

I don’t want this to fall to the side, or too far down the list. I have posted a thread in our Server forum to encourage people to come to this and the other threads to post their support for the idea.

Gaile, could you merge this topic and the others listed so there is one big topic the Devs can keep an eye on to see the support that this idea has behind it?

Skylark has them all in her post, but I am copying here again for convenience.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/hot/Guild-Housing-Remembering-Fallen-Members
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/In-memory-of-a-lost-friend

Thanks…

(I hope we get to see the Frog in the Witch Hat at the Frog Pond at some events in the future. )

I do because I can
I can because I want to

(edited by Thorfinnr Sleggja.1209)

Posted by: Fenom.9457

Fenom.9457

I think this is a great idea! at the very least they should do a customizable plaque.

Want to read about a nice mini expansion to make Mordremoth and Zhaitan better?
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Mini-Expansion-Vengeance/first#post6473305

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

BTW, we do get guild hall decorations with anything above basic and the idea was we could combine them to form a larger decoration …

Posted by: Taiyoroku.1028

Taiyoroku.1028

I get the idea and is interesting, as for someone like me that have lose precious people on my life, i dont support the idea, what will happen if someone (a new leader) wanna change that? guild get broken sometimes for stup things and this one can be a really good way for guild to far apart

Thorfinnr Sleggja.1209

Obligatory bump to make sure we, as a community don’t lose sight of this. It’s too important/meaningful to let it go into the long dark spiral of the deeper forum pages.

Another idea: A Wall of Memories/Glory: Make a wall where small placards could be placed that have the Character Name on them. When you click them they are like the gravestones in the game and list some details that can be added/updated by members. Make it a part of Guild Permissions to be able to edit these…maybe included with the permission to edit message of the day. (Just to try to help prevent intra-guild griefing.)

Taiyoroku, I do understand your point, but I would hope a leader would be a kind enough person to want to honor the wishes of the entire Guild and keep any remembrances that the Guild had added prior to this new member/leader’s arrival. That would show the character of being a true leader, by giving consideration to things like this.

I do because I can
I can because I want to

Posted by: Corpus.6543

Corpus.6543

I think this sounds like a fantastic idea. While we are blessed to still have everyone with us since we joined our group in the original Guild Wars, I think having this would definitely support and enrich the player community.

Posted by: sdcmgs.7348

sdcmgs.7348

I support this 100%. My best friend actually introduced me to GW1. I joined the year after launch. He lost his battle to cancer just before GW2 was released. Our guild tag is his name. I’d love to show further support of his love for this game.

His arm was amputated from the elbow down but he played like any other person. He was an amazing human and a huge GW1 fan. I hope ANet can somehow allow us to have memorials for friends like him.

Level 80, Sylvari Necromancer
Not So Epic [HAL]

Thorfinnr Sleggja.1209

Come on folks, post your support here. Lets get a Dev to comment on this…even if its just to say…“We’re considering it.” or “We have something for this already.”(as unlikely as that statement would be)

This would mean a lot to many Guild Wars players, and could be very versatile in usage.

Help out this idea by posting your support and helping keep it on the front page so it doesn’t get forgotten.

I do because I can
I can because I want to

Posted by: ParagonPaladin.7516

ParagonPaladin.7516

This would actually be amazing, and I hope Anet sees it as worth developing. Honestly, considering what they’ve already done in the past to honor those who’ve passed, customization friendly plaques and statues for guild halls seems like a logical step!

/Bumping for support!

Mursaat wing backslot items, make it happen Anet!
!http://guild-guardian.tumblr.com/!

Posted by: velmeister.4187

velmeister.4187

This suggestion resonates with me as I also lost a few people in my gaming life. Also, a successful guild and a gaming community thrives because of relentless effort of some people. Being able to honor and remember them in game inside a community/guild hall will be plain awesome. This will also be inspirational to other people who may want to step up to take charge and create something beautiful and worthwhile.

Kudos to OP for his/her suggestion.

“If there is anyone here whom I have not offended, I am sorry.”

Posted by: Playerum.8407

Playerum.8407

This would be awesome and i support the idea 100%, if this does pass down on the expansion they could certainly implement later on too.

Posted by: snarfrificus.4230

snarfrificus.4230

I also support this, even if its still just a game.
We meet people here and make new friends and it still hurts a hell lot if we lose them.
A way to remember them and honor them should be implemented into the game.
Guys we can indeed go on fighting and raging on the forums, but this is something that above anything else should go FIRST in the expansion and the guild halls.

Thorfinnr Sleggja.1209

Been out of town for the last few days…time to get this back up top.

Please share with friends and guilds to come post and show support for an idea that has a heart…not a power boost or anything.

I do because I can
I can because I want to

Thorfinnr Sleggja.1209

Bumping once again. Sorry if its annoying, but this is something very special and deserves to at least get some acknowledgement that it will be considered.

Help those of us who have posted previously and add your support to this thread.

I do because I can
I can because I want to

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I think Gaile commented in the previous long thread about plaques etc for guild halls and that they are considering it. Be careful about posting just to bump a thread — always try to add something new in your post or you could get infracted even for a worthy request like this (also just asking for support is perilously close to a forbidden petition).

I don’t think they miss that much in the threads, actually. Your idea has almost certainly been heard, and we’ll see in either beta or in HoT what came of it.

Thorfinnr Sleggja.1209

You know, you’re right…I am skirting a fine line, just wanting others to share what it would mean to them. Not trying to get myself infracted.

I didn’t see Gaile’s post, I’ll have to go back and look through the threads and take a look.

Thanks for the advice.

Edit: You were right, I only read the initial post and then made a reply that was a couple pages away from where Gaile had replied. Thanks for pointing that out. I’ll try to be more thorough in the future.

I do because I can
I can because I want to

(edited by Thorfinnr Sleggja.1209)

Posted by: Lethalvriend.1723

Lethalvriend.1723

I think this is a pretty good idea for guild hall customization, it can go a long way. A guild can make their own hall of heroes with members on display, or tributes to whatever their roleplaying desires. Even if they don’t have the time to implement it on launch it sounds like something that could eventually make their way in with a smaller update.

Posted by: Agrotera.1254

Agrotera.1254

Thank you for explaining it. Still wondering how I managed to miss the browse button. Just going to chalk it up to my kitten moment of the day lol

I think something like this would work for Guild Halls. Members could put up pictures of members they have lost, officers, members they want to recognize for some reason, or maybe just pictures of their favorite place.

Excuse the WP in the middle, there was no way to get the wall without it. This is in Hoelbrak in the Great Lodge.

Attachments:

you can’t fix stupid

(edited by Agrotera.1254)

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

But that is how. Go to “more posting,” click the Browse button, select the image file you want to use, click Preview to make sure the image is how you want it, click Reply. Maybe you have an odd format? I always have JPEG’s for loading in these forums.

Posted by: QSDragonLord.7421

QSDragonLord.7421

This is an amazing idea, and I also fully support it. I think this could help give guilds a sense of life and longevity, with the ability to remember past players and amazing moments.

Posted by: Zhaneel.9208

Zhaneel.9208

That would be an original touch that would really do a lot to bring the community together.

Posted by: jheryn.8390

jheryn.8390

This is an awesome idea. It most certainly would be a boon the the whole GW2 community.

Posted by: Gale.4815

Gale.4815

To remember our fallen in such a way would make for a closer community.

Thorfinnr Sleggja.1209

I think something like this would work for Guild Halls. Members could put up pictures of members they have lost, officers, members they want to recognize for some reason, or maybe just pictures of their favorite place.

I think this is cool, but may be a bit much to ask for to start. I think trying to keep things a bit simpler and more attainable, would be easier to get time allotted for it. A simple Wall in the Guild Hall, with Placards (similar to what we click to read on the tombstones, maybe the name would show when you hover over it in game) that can be populated with a name and then a small amount of text( to use to remember someone or to praise a goal attained), would be a great way to start. Then it could be expanded as use or requests warranted.

Please, just so everyone knows…this was not my idea…I just got behind it in a big way since I have lost meaningful friends and family and was very empathetic to the posts that are linked in this thread. Perhaps I have shown a little too much zeal, as I do not want it to get discounted or removed due to an inadvertent violation on my part. I value the stories people tell. This is why I support this so adamantly.

I do because I can
I can because I want to