Guild Wars 2: The Great Depression

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: ReaverKane.7598

ReaverKane.7598

Yup

Game went F2P and adopted the full F2P model even in it’s paid expansion

This. Its seems this is entirely the case. Which is a really sad thing, especially from the standpoint of people, like me that have poured already hundreds of euros in the game.

Posted by: ReaverKane.7598

ReaverKane.7598

OP, the did state before HoT was launched that the Arena, or any guild hall things, would REQUIRE the Expansion. Don’t blame them for not letting you know, when they did.

As far as a depression? I thought this would be about the state of the economy. I thought this would be about how the game is a gold sink. No, your argument only points to Guild Halls. That’s it. Yes, Ghalls are a gold sink. They are in every game. But that doesn’t make a depression. The economy is crashing super hard. It is very difficult to make money in this game now. But not because of ghalls. Your argument is flawed.

I’m making about 100g a day simply by doing a few material conversions. Then I go and enjoy the rest of the game. Making gold isn’t hard, its just not the way people want to.

Actually, if you don’t care about your guild its easy. Just about anything thats even mildly required for guilds or scribing is sold for obscene ammounts, for those that do care about their guilds, and their guild halls, its not that easy.

Posted by: Devata.6589

Devata.6589

Yup

This. Its seems this is entirely the case. Which is a really sad thing, especially from the standpoint of people, like me that have poured already hundreds of euros in the game.

This is what you poured hundreds of Euro’s in. You made this happen.

(iI it’s true.. don’t get me wrong.. with the current prices it’s hard to say but two things are a fact, multiple content got nerved and gem-items did stay coming. I still hope they make a change towards a more B2P model.)

@Red Mistress Denna.9804
You see, this is exactly what I mean.

This is especially bad for people like him who.. well supported this system :S… No it’s especially bad to all people who did not. He just got what he paid for.

Posted by: Red Mistress Denna.9804

Red Mistress Denna.9804

Eeeeh i’m not really going to go either way. I wanna see how it goes when everything settles before making assumptions. Singling people out as a cause of the business model change is a little silly though. Microtransactions are THE thing nowadays. If you wanna blame someone, blame candy crush.

I’m not sure what you’re referring to with ‘multiple content got nerfed and gem-items did stay coming’.

I think there is a lot of potential in GW2, especially with the new releases. Whether the potential is for good or bad is yet to be seen, in my opinion.

Who knew the Jungle was filled with so much Salt
water?! -tonyajc.2618

Posted by: Devata.6589

Devata.6589

Eeeeh i’m not really going to go either way. I wanna see how it goes when everything settles before making assumptions. Singling people out as a cause of the business model change is a little silly though. Microtransactions are THE thing nowadays. If you wanna blame someone, blame candy crush.

I’m not sure what you’re referring to with ‘multiple content got nerfed and gem-items did stay coming’.

I think there is a lot of potential in GW2, especially with the new releases. Whether the potential is for good or bad is yet to be seen, in my opinion.

It’s not singling people out. If it would be a single one it would not be a problem.

That it’s THE thing these day does not mean it’s good. During GW1 subs where THE thing.

The “multiple content got nerved and gem-items did stay coming” was just about the question if the game moved more towards the cash-shop (as some say) or that it did not.. or maybe even moved away from it with HoT. I don’t know that yet and think even Anet isn’t sure about what they want yet.

Anyway, just wanted to point out that perfect example of what I was talking about before. Thats it.

Posted by: Swift.1930

Swift.1930

Not going to disagree with your observations, but the solution is not to put so much focus on the Gall Halls. Think about it. Guild Halls and the new Legendaries are where this gold sink is. As you pointed out the end result of all the hard work for these upgrades isn’t really of great value. Obtaining the Hall is still not that difficult, the upgrades are clearly a gold sink.

All F2P games funnel players to the cash shop. Do you really believe the only fun/value in the game comes from Guild Hall amenities and new Legendary Crafting? Be rational. I evaulted long ago that Legendarily weapons in general are not worth the effort given their nominal stat increase. Legendary armor is going to be for the top 10% of PvE players who focus on Raids during their time in game. If you must have these things to find any fun in the game and you don’t want to grind then I would agree it’s time to move on from GW2.

I think they provide plenty of content for the asking price of the expansion but for the end-game (Guild Hall upgrades [time gated so I do classify this as end-game], Raids and of course Legendarily) if you want to delve into the end-game content it absolutely has been designed to send you to the gem store with mastercard in hand often or to spend a lotof time in game grinding. This is a sustainable business model.

Absolutely incorrect. The dramatic damage the Guild Hall changes have done to WvW guild abilities is devastating. Guilds that focus on WvW and don’t touch PvE are now completely screwed.

Agreed. People who say guild halls/guild upgrades are not a focus and not something small guilds (deserve?) aren’t playing WvW. If you’re PvE, all’s good. Guilds can get along without upgrades for the most part. WvW guilds had already previously unlocked a huge bunch of boosts/buffs for their servers and regularly used them. Now those upgrades are far out of reach, and those guilds are going to have to put years into upgrading to reach the stage they had reached pre-HoT. It’s simply another thing that is killing WvW (check the WvW discussion board for all the other things).

Been there, punned that.

Ehmry Bay Guardian

Red Mistress Denna.9804

Sorry, i must have misunderstood the ‘you made this happen’ and ‘. . . people like him.’ Either way, doesn’t matter much to me.

I’m not suggesting it’s a GOOD thing, just saying that it is currently the most successful business model, and a lot of companies are subscribing to it. F2p, P2W. GW2, IMO, has been very good about keeping the cash shop out of the competition. (just came from Archeage so. . .)

Either way, I agree that it’s hard, if not impossible, to tell where the game is headed. HoT has a huge amount of potential for the game to become Fashion Wars (P2W edition), Grind Wars, or the best game on the market.

I’m enjoying the new content and challenges in the mean time, and I’m willing to wait to see where it goes. If people don’t like the challenge, it can be THEIR time to take a break.

water?! -tonyajc.2618

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

-I really really really miss the mechanic where questing together (with other guild mates) produced guild currency. I don’t see why this side of Influence needed to be taken out. Why not let us earn some influence that we can use for that little boost? Let us by Guild Upgrade mats with commendations? In general, the upgrade has forced guilds to work together, but has stopped rewarding having FUN together.

This still exists in the form of resonance.

Basically, resonance is a very limited version of the old influence system than can only be used to speed up production at the fabricator.

When doing any content with tagged guild members, resonance crystals go on your drop table. If you get them as loot you can donate them to an NPC in the guild hall to provide the guild 100 resonance. The same NPC also sells 100 resonance for 25s.

The time required to construct consumables/furniture is pretty drastic, and in many cases you have prerequisites that you have to wait to craft (for example, you need both a 5% xp banner and a 5% karma banner to craft a 10% karma/xp banner) so resonance helps you get through your massive fabrication backlog and pump out banners faster.

On average, a dedicated scribe with a guild feeding him weekly crystals from guild missions (and harvesting a few plants to craft dyes to break down for pigments) can pretty easily generate more banners/furniture per week than the fabricator can actually produce without really spending any money on them (normal mats income for everything other than pigments/shards is pretty sufficient from one character, and trivial if multiple members are kicking over a few dust or logs your way) so resonance, as an optional currency fills the gap by helping speed up that production. Guild members can either kick in gold or toss in the crystals to provide resonance so that production can actually meet the speed of scribing.

In my experience resonance seems a little too rare as a drop, however, often I’ve been grouped and playing all day with a full party of guild members and among the whole party only see 2-3 resonance crystals, which is only worth 2-3 hours acceleration on the fabricator. It’d be nice if resonance dropped more frequently as it doesn’t actually change anything from an economic standpoint, just from a production time standpoint.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

(edited by PopeUrban.2578)

Red Mistress Denna.9804

-I really really really miss the mechanic where questing together (with other guild mates) produced guild currency. I don’t see why this side of Influence needed to be taken out. Why not let us earn some influence that we can use for that little boost? Let us by Guild Upgrade mats with commendations? In general, the upgrade has forced guilds to work together, but has stopped rewarding having FUN together.

Basically, resonance is a very limited version of the old influence system than can only be used to speed up production at the fabricator.

When doing any content with tagged guild members, resonance crystals go on your drop table. If you get them as loot you can donate them to an NPC in the guild hall to provide the guild 100 resonance. The same NPC also sells 100 resonance for 25s.

The time required to construct consumables/furniture is pretty drastic, and in many cases you have prerequisites that you have to wait to craft (for example, you need both a 5% xp banner and a 5% karma banner to craft a 10% karma/xp banner) so resonance helps you get through your massive fabrication backlog and pump out banners faster.

On average, a dedicated scribe with a guild feeding him weekly crystals from guild missions (and harvesting a few plants to craft dyes to break down for pigments) can pretty easily generate more banners/furniture per week than the fabricator can actually produce without really spending any money on them (normal mats income for everything other than pigments/shards is pretty sufficient from one character, and trivial if multiple members are kicking over a few dust or logs your way) so resonance, as an optional currency fills the gap by helping speed up that production. Guild members can either kick in gold or toss in the crystals to provide resonance so that production can actually meet the speed of scribing.

In my experience resonance seems a little too rare as a drop, however, often I’ve been grouped and playing all day with a full party of guild members and among the whole party only see 2-3 resonance crystals, which is only worth 2-3 hours acceleration on the fabricator. It’d be nice if resonance dropped more frequently as it doesn’t actually change anything from an economic standpoint, just from a production time standpoint.

That’s pretty cool and I didn’t know it was added to Loot tables (I’ve only received the resonance crystals during Guild Missions (Also, yes i know the crystals and slivers are different)). Personally though, I’ve found resonance to be the least difficult guild currency or material to get and use.

water?! -tonyajc.2618

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

That’s pretty cool and I didn’t know it was added to Loot tables (I’ve only received the resonance crystals during Guild Missions (Also, yes i know the crystals and slivers are different)). Personally though, I’ve found resonance to be the least difficult guild currency or material to get and use.

Yep, got them from random dungeon and fractal drops in fact.

For those that don’t understand the distinction:

Resonating slivers are the scribing material (scribes can turn these in to higher tier versions for higher tier scribing recipies) and are blue in color.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Resonating_Sliver

Resonance crystals (called shards) are the ones that you tun in to the guild to speed up production times at the fabricator and are black with red flecks.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Shard_of_Crystallized_Resonance

You can’t get the crafting material slivers outside of guild missions, but you can get the shards to turn in for resonance. The drop rate just sucks. According to the blog post, however, this seems to be unintentional? That may explain the extremely low drop rate outside of guild missions.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

(edited by PopeUrban.2578)

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

Obviously no one understands that NO guild was meant to unlock everything in the Guild Hall within the first week or even first 3 weeks. The Guild Hall is a LONG TERM investment, which means small guilds NEED to spread the cost out over MONTHS and not look at weeks. That is how it’s set up currently and I highly doubt it will change.

This would be more OK if they didn’t take away our earned guild buffs and make us re-earn every single one of them via a huge grind along with trying to get the other unlocks.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

Yup

This is what you poured hundreds of Euro’s in. You made this happen.

(iI it’s true.. don’t get me wrong.. with the current prices it’s hard to say but two things are a fact, multiple content got nerved and gem-items did stay coming. I still hope they make a change towards a more B2P model.)

Yep the game has moved a lot closer to a coercive f2p model. Prior to HOT it was more subtle but its definitely becoming more obvious now.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

Posted by: Kit.3986

Kit.3986

Guild Halls aren’t meant for small guilds. Sure they made it so a group of 5 can capture it, but the upgrade are costly. This was done so you can only earn them if you’re willing to invest into your guild. It’s not fair for small guilds to get cheaper upgrades over larger guilds.

Here’s what I would recommend. Either you expand your guild and bring in more members who are willing to help upgrade, or join a larger, more established guild.

Why wouldn’t it be? Small guilds have less resources, less income, less people to put the resources together. Large guilds can ask for little from every member and if every member helps (like, pay 1g) and if the guild has 100+ people then that’s 100g for the guild right there. A small guild of maybe 10 – 15people? The grinding for resources becomes an actual chore that has to be done because they don’t have 100 people all running around casually getting pieces (that add up when brought together).

And why bring in people only for upgrades? That’s a waste. Guilds are meant to be an organization for people to be a part of a community, forcing an expansion of that community for this reason will only cause drama and problems when people inevitably don’t mesh with everything. Plus you have RP guilds who have specific goals and stories they want to play out, should they all be cut off from a feature of an expansion they purchased?

Joining a larger guild just to have a Guild Hall is a terrible idea. You don’t join guilds just for that; you join guilds because they hold similar overall goals that you do, have a community of people that works with you.

It’s pretty sad that GW2 is just a grind fest. I can’t think of anything in this game that’s not a massive grind fest unless you have a hundred or more people working towards it, but when it comes to Guild Halls it’s pretty clear Anet didn’t care at all about the smaller guilds.

Even in other games, like FFXIV, you can buy a cheaper guild house that still has all the functionality of the larger ones, it just has less decorating space (which, in XIV’s case, is different since there’s limited houses as those homes aren’t separate instances).

Swift.1930

Obviously no one understands that NO guild was meant to unlock everything in the Guild Hall within the first week or even first 3 weeks. The Guild Hall is a LONG TERM investment, which means small guilds NEED to spread the cost out over MONTHS and not look at weeks. That is how it’s set up currently and I highly doubt it will change.

This would be more OK if they didn’t take away our earned guild buffs and make us re-earn every single one of them via a huge grind along with trying to get the other unlocks.

Exactly. Some guilds spent hundreds of hours farming up banners and boosts and guild pieces before the update. Adding new content is fine; confiscating unlocked content isn’t. That’d be like taking ascended armor from people who previously received it from fractals.

Been there, punned that.

Ehmry Bay Guardian

Posted by: RustyMech.9876

RustyMech.9876

Wait, you guys don’t dump tens of thousands of dollars on this game like some people on these forums claim to???? What is this?

Posted by: Lacuda.8543

Lacuda.8543

I’ve said it in my original post and I’ll say this again; I’m not suggesting punishing larger guilds by increasing the costs of the upgrades.
I’m saying make them TIME GATED. This is what I propose:
NO GUILD HALL UPGRADE ITEMS SHOULD BE TRADEABLE TO OTHER PLAYERS
-Right now, there is a massive chokehold strain on resources for the Guild Hall…yes, it’s been thinning out, only because many guilds have run out of money to throw at this.

All materials for upgrading the Guild Halls should be materials found/farmed/looted within the Guild Hall itself. The mine should have MINING NODES. There should be a garden, herbs in the water areas or fountains, a little farm with a few animals that can be slain for special items strictly for upgrading the Guild Hall. Things of this nature (doesn’t have to be exactly like it).

Upgrades like the mining node synthesizer should be actually cost-effective. Make them able to pay for themselves in the long run. They should spawn a few extra nodes in the mine, nodes the NPC’s can utilize towards the Guild Hall and provide players a few collectible mats for their banks.

TIME GATE THE GUILD HALL. I have the PERFECT idea! It took a mission that took anywhere from 5 to 200 players to get the Guild Hall, right?
Make it so that each week, a “Guild Hall Grand Quest” becomes available for the guild to complete. This quest contains an item that is necessary for an upgrade for specific parts of the Guild Hall. Make it so that it would take 24 Guild Hall Grand Quests (6 months) to complete the hall (OR LONGER, MAYBE A YEAR!).
These quests are complete-able for 5 to 200 members. Each week it’s a new quest, sort of like a story mode feature or lore filler.
Allow guilds to prioritize important quest-line sections (WvW upgrades for example).
THIS WAY IT DOESN’T AFFECT GUILD SIZES IN THE SLIGHTEST AND WON’T PUNISH SMALLER OR LARGER GUILDS.

Finally, these Guild Hall Grand Quests themselves should be time-gated to the world servers, and work retro-actively. This means a guild might miss a week, that means the next week they get to do the previous week’s quest and the new one. Or, a new guild formed 2 months into this program will have 8 Guild Hall Grand Quests available.

This doesn’t have to be hard, it doesn’t have to be something to argue about.
ANET. Players around the world!
-We just want to play a game and have fun! This solution works for everyone.

Posted by: SirDrygan.1823

SirDrygan.1823

Let’s face it:…..snip….

You got it right on the first sentence. #dealwithit. Complaining is not going to make it any better.

Posted by: mcwurth.2081

mcwurth.2081

Let’s face it:…..snip….

You got it right on the first sentence. #dealwithit. Complaining is not going to make it any better.

People are dealing with it, does not mean people can not complain about it. Costumers are allowed to complain about their purchase if it does not meet their expectations, and even if it does that, feels not right in a certain way.

Posted by: Kraggy.4169

Kraggy.4169

Welcome to ftp, it’s almost like someone is trying to copy TRIONS business model, barf.

No idea which Trion game you’re referring to, it’s clearly not Rift because that is entirely FREE to play all content except for optional and easily ignored Souls (classes, sort of).

IMO Rift is the most generous FREE to play game there is, you have no need to use the Store, at all.

Posted by: chronometria.3708

chronometria.3708

My great depression is the horrible price of ascended armour at the moment.

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Without getting into the debate here (since I feel that both sides have fair points and I’m kinda on the fence on this issue), I do have one major concern regarding the large amount of effort and money to get just about anything in HoT. It’s that newer players might come in, get overwhelmed by the massive costs, and decide not to bother with guild halls or the new maps, or even leave altogether. The other day I was playing with a cousin who was new to GW2, and showing him all the different skins I’d collected. He got pretty excited upon seeing some of the Ascended skins, but after he learned just how expensive or time-consuming it was to get them, he got disheartened. I think his exact words were “It would take me YEARS of playing to afford that.” (Which considering what it took me to get my Ascended gear, isn’t that far off the truth.)

For better or worse, it seems that Ascended gear has now become must-haves. It used to be that we could just tell newbies to ignore Ascended gear and stick with Exotics, because Exotics were more than sufficient for everything. But with raids and high-level Fractals and super-nice skins getting tied to Ascended items, along with a broadening mentality among players of “You’re still using Exotics? Noob!”. I fear that the low bar of entry for GW2 is disappearing. And that feeling of “I have to do/spend that much just to catch up??” might prove incredibly damaging to the future of GW2’s playerbase considering that, as the OP put it, GW2 has always been marketed as the “casual player’s MMO”, where you would never have to grind.

Lacuda.8543

OP, the did state before HoT was launched that the Arena, or any guild hall things, would REQUIRE the Expansion. Don’t blame them for not letting you know, when they did.

As far as a depression? I thought this would be about the state of the economy. I thought this would be about how the game is a gold sink. No, your argument only points to Guild Halls. That’s it. Yes, Ghalls are a gold sink. They are in every game. But that doesn’t make a depression. The economy is crashing super hard. It is very difficult to make money in this game now. But not because of ghalls. Your argument is flawed.

I’m making about 100g a day simply by doing a few material conversions. Then I go and enjoy the rest of the game. Making gold isn’t hard, its just not the way people want to.

Actually, if you don’t care about your guild its easy. Just about anything thats even mildly required for guilds or scribing is sold for obscene ammounts, for those that do care about their guilds, and their guild halls, its not that easy.

EXACTLY – Lone players that don’t really belong to guilds/have a lot of loyalty in terms of how much they are willing to contribute wouldn’t understand. A good portion of these upgrades in the Guild Hall are MANDATORY for viability to WvW, and you can’t just shrug that off. That’s an entire aspect of gameplay that’s been cut-off, and for some players, WvW is the reason they play the game. They have no interest in sPvP or PvE. They have never been punished for this before; why start now?

As for how this is about the economy…HAVE YOU SEEN the costs of mandatory upgrades? They devastated the economy, shaking it to the core. I feel like we’ve gone through over 5000 Elder Wood Planks, 5000 Mithril Ingots and we are only level 18.

To increase our WvW upgrades to claim towers, we need to get Mine Exploration tier 2 as well as upgrade the capacity to the next tier. This is YET MORE Elder Wood, Mithril, and of course already about 100 Bloodstone Bricks. The next upgrades we need are going to require 90g solid of just Major Rune of Holding…

It should be time-gated behind guild quests, not gated behind gold. This is absurd.

Tell me the problem with gating the guild halls behind a limiter of time? It makes it fair to everyone, from 5 man guilds to 500 man guilds.

Posted by: Cyrotek.7019

Cyrotek.7019

I actually agree on that Dragon Stand point or those timed events in general. It is pretty bad design that you have to plan up to nearly four hours (miss the invite phase for taxis for DS and you can wait till it starts next time) ahead for open world content which is mandatory for a lot of things.

Was there any design like this in the base game? I remember that it was more like “come when you want, do what you want”. Now the game tells you when you have to play certain things.

(edited by Cyrotek.7019)

Posted by: Goldberg.4831

Goldberg.4831

Welcome to ftp, it’s almost like someone is trying to copy TRIONS business model, barf.

No idea which Trion game you’re referring to, it’s clearly not Rift because that is entirely FREE to play all content except for optional and easily ignored Souls (classes, sort of).

IMO Rift is the most generous FREE to play game there is, you have no need to use the Store, at all.

Rift is the exception, Try Archage, Nothing but a blatant cash grab that completely tarnished their reputation.

Posted by: Wahaha.7938

Wahaha.7938

Was there any design like this in the base game? I remember that it was more like “come when you want, do what you want”. Now the game tells you when you have to play certain things.

World bosses.

Posted by: Serophous.9085

Serophous.9085

EXACTLY – Lone players that don’t really belong to guilds/have a lot of loyalty in terms of how much they are willing to contribute wouldn’t understand. A good portion of these upgrades in the Guild Hall are MANDATORY for viability to WvW, and you can’t just shrug that off. That’s an entire aspect of gameplay that’s been cut-off, and for some players, WvW is the reason they play the game. They have no interest in sPvP or PvE. They have never been punished for this before; why start now?

As for how this is about the economy…HAVE YOU SEEN the costs of mandatory upgrades? They devastated the economy, shaking it to the core. I feel like we’ve gone through over 5000 Elder Wood Planks, 5000 Mithril Ingots and we are only level 18.

To increase our WvW upgrades to claim towers, we need to get Mine Exploration tier 2 as well as upgrade the capacity to the next tier. This is YET MORE Elder Wood, Mithril, and of course already about 100 Bloodstone Bricks. The next upgrades we need are going to require 90g solid of just Major Rune of Holding…

It should be time-gated behind guild quests, not gated behind gold. This is absurd.

Tell me the problem with gating the guild halls behind a limiter of time? It makes it fair to everyone, from 5 man guilds to 500 man guilds.

Whoever said I wasn’t donating to guild too?

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

I haven’t bothered crafting ascended gear because it costs as much or nearly a precursor at this point. Not very fun.

This is probably my biggest issue with the expansion: Lets DOUBLE the cost of ascended. . . and make it necessary for Raids! woohooo!

Currently the best way to get ascended (cheapest / guaranteed) is to farm the raid. Can’t farm the raid without ascended.

The other part because of ascended mats getting expensive is there is more of a demand. Guild halls needs ascended mats, and precursor crafting, plus ascended weapons and armor.

The problem is, the increased demand greatly, but didn’t improve supply at all. This needs to change somehow.

I find it hilarious that people are complaining things are to expensive and they don’t have enough gold and then screaming that they should nerf the biggest source of free gold for poor players in the game. It’s like a kid who wants to run around with scissors and then throws a tantrum when the parents save the kids life.

Just curious. . .what’s the biggest source of free gold?

You can make ~30g in 30 minutes just by running around and harvesting everything you need for each of the ascended time gated mats. They are in huge demand and are selling for 10-15g each. After daily reset just run around and get your iron, plat, soft wood, hardwood and seasoned wood from mid level nodes. Buy or use the mithril and elder wood you already have from normal play and make 1 of each of the time gated mats. Sell them for 30g. Do this every day for a week and you’ll have 200g for a total of about 3 hours of work. Do this for a month and you’ll have 900g just by playing 30 minutes a day.

Posted by: Spurnshadow.3678

Spurnshadow.3678

This is all pointless. They aren’t going to change anything. It’s too late now. If they made the system fair at this point, it would totally screw over the guilds that have already sunk thousands into upgrades.

I’m a WVWer. Larger guilds, like, well, no names, already have some of their auras unlocked, whereas smaller guilds like mine don’t have anything unlocked. Other WvW guilds that are really PvX have lots of stuff unlocked. But both are effective WvW guilds. One regularly fields 20-30 on raid nights, mine fields 15-20 on raid nights. The difference is that the larger one has more people who do pvx. A guild I was recently in was sitting on 7,000 gold, whereas my current guild is sitting on 10.

Again, this isn’t going to change. Just accept it, be depressed, or stop playing.

Blackgate Native. It takes tremendous strength and skill to pull a lever.

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

They had half the content they needed, so they made time gates, artificial difficulty, gold sinc and everything they could to make sure people would not rush through the content. Problem is, many people are just completely discouraged by it (specially when after an entire night in WvW you actually lose gold instead of making some), so I think that strategy won’t work.

IMO the path they are going down makes them no longer a AAA game development company and GW2 is no longer a AAA title. Its just another Asian grinder. It has better graphics than most of the others but that and the combat system are about all they have going for them. They have shown they can not produce AAA content anymore.

I was discussing this with guild members yesterday, we all think the same. HoT wasn’t ready (only1 raid delayed) and was rushed out. Some of the elite profession skills were rushed in a few days (Rebound), only 1 stronghold map and no new conquest maps is shameful considering the game is supposed to be an eSport. WvW is on autopilot and doesn’t seem to have a development team to implement the artist content properly and the PvE content is twice less than we were expecting for the high price tag.

Basically it looks like the only future the game has is with the new players coming because of the f2p model. The time gates, accountbound legendaries and gold sinc are there to slow down the people that have been playing the game for 3 years already.

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

My depression…

No gold
No income, just stupid raid tries and some fractals… no cash from content. I do not care, no cash is no food, no gear changes no reason to play. I bought some gold for the BLTP for gems and it’s the main reason to quit now.
No gold ingame = not being able to travel or play.
I cannot farm If I’m doing raids, I cannot do all things at once. I do not care anymore.

Gear invalidation
I had 18 nice geared characters, 6 DPS, 4 healers all others condi or hybrids.
All 8 of these characters have been invalidated completely. I cannot use them cause all dmg was nerfed by 15-20%…. (Just go and do your raid in all greens and rares as DPS and come back afterwards and then comment).
I updated 3 now and lost all cash I had, all sigils and gear, my stored mats and I canot see the end. most DPS characters I had used stacking sigils on main weapons, they are no longer usable due to content with no kills (read RAIDS). I have tried to respec armor and lost all runes, I retained some of the infusions though. I calculated it’s about 1000-1200 gold for all character who still need gear. and I cannot make gold. see 1st point

And I still need to do 5 more characters… they will cost me 2000 excluding getting ascendeds (else add 14400, not including legendary wishes… 3 full sets should be around 9000-10000 and I like the staff again 2500 gold at present prices for the account. I say no.)

So I looked on.

guild halls
I had a banking guild, I was looking forward to try to get a guild hall, which is impossible. Okay… it happens… Gold could fix it or wait, no gold.

Guild missions
I used to run Guild Missions They are completely destroyed, people who I ran missions with for 2 years have said they’d no longer bother, so Our 175 man guild has 5 PVp-ers and 8 WvW-ers doing guild missions. Our PvE group has stopped doing them as they always played until everybody had their commendations whcih no longer works
I get nothing in return, no comemndations, no gold= no reason to play.

dungeons
I used to run Dungeons. I am not bothering with it anymore, asking me to run ’m and get 59 silver or 76 silver… I still cannot believe it, it must have been a joke. I stopped doing dungeons, as did the 50+ people I often joined, they seem to have left except for 5 or 6 of them who are doing raids. Dungeons are dead. No gold= no reason to play

fractals
I used to run fractals I was level 40… I was 40 before the 1st biog overhaul and was set back to 30 then, now people who never did fractals till now pass me and kick me cause I do not know the cheats. fractals are way more broken compared to dungeons. And they do not give any interesting rewards either… no gold= no reason to play

Meta events…
Orr… Hirathi hinterlands, Fields of Ruin, Southsun, Dry top, Silverwastes, Verdant brink, Auric Basin, Tangled depths , Dragons basin… yeah… Some alive, some dead, some deserted… not only in vanilla I should add. yes some rewards, but only empty instances and timers = no income= no gold = no reason to play

• World bosses…..*
    Not for me… I liked Tequatl, hated the wurms and generally found the other bosses just the biggest joke made in gw2…. just stand around and they’ll get killed, 3 auto attacks for free chests… Right. Oh and no gold.

Raids… <sigh…>.
I have been invited to raids. I ran builds for years which were ok. Now I need to run , circles, not being able to see stuff due to the bad choice of colors, 100% concentrated… I have immense difficulty not to be hampered by epilepsy….
I had hoped for dungeons in the expansion and the raids are very nice and impossible for a normal guild group unless cheating and cheezing and very, very grindy as a result. I spend 30 hours now trying to kill a boss with 10 ppl with above standard gear who are not bad players at all. Maybe I myself am the black sheep, I try to do it and I cannot, I got Liadri once after 175 tries or so… 4 gold? yes We have been at it for 2 weeks. I spend over 800 gold in gear changes a sigils foods, and so on. I need to do ’m succesfully for 4 years to make up for the cost if I were never to spend 1 copper on them from now on. No gold= no reason to play

“Adventures”
I have epilepsy, I cannot play FPS games, racing games and simulators. Now I need to be an aeroplane and do racing games…. I have suffered 2 seizures already doing this crap. I cannot focus enough or I seize up, well… no 161 for me. No progression

I guess no legendary armor as there is no way to procure it without doing Raids. I can keep my concentration up for 10 minutes, I just cannot keep it up for 10 tries in a row. My guild is annoyed as kitten if I get an absence while meleeing the boss. I prefer a condi slot, problem is I do not play engi. I tried it a few times on warrior. DOT Warrior is melee or LB. LB is considerably less DPS… well I suck, unintentionally… I DC myself, independent from the server and my ISP… hmmm….

not all bad
Granted the game has received a lot of improvements as well. But as is, it is in shambles at this time, only a ghost of its glorious past. just no gold

PvP = lolz…. ROFLMAO
I really am fed up with the “mandatory PvP balancing -for nothing- cause this is the most epic E-sport alive brain fart has corrupted the developers-” (PvE destruction for PvP illusions) I have not seen -anything usefull- from PvP

Casual, open for anybody, play how you want?
Our casual game needs to be playable how you want as long as you accept you’ll be wearing greens and be running with F2P’s as the rest is behind contrent gold and gem walls. I’m seemingly lucky having acces to 2 full heavy ,1 medium and 3 full light ascneded armors… in vipers, vipers, zerk, zerk, zealot and zealot… with matching weapons. Yes… I have it, bought it for a lot of gold.

Cause it’s “we want to play” not “play how we want” and more specifically “how you want us to play in the end” as shown by all nerfs in loot, the shifts in focus. Why did you shift focus? Is it so we play the content? the better part of content doesn’t invite us to be played, in the end I noticed I canot be happy with my purchase. I’ll not ask for a refund. I just hope something good or at least better will appear.

gated
It seems now there is need to make sure everything is gated, preferably behind content others want to be done differently, Grinds, or just endless collections…

I would like to suggest: adding asap:

• Tengu chars
  • Dungeons (and a rework of older dungeons, just increase difficulty a bit leave the present dungeons for the children and make a semi hard mode for harcore and fanatic casuals. don’t make HP bags, just increase the dmg by 50% and increase attack rate by 20-25%)
  • Completely detach PvP. Make PvP a fully F2P limited environment, keep the starting screen and make the characters separate
  • Make some nice area’s to run around, make some nice maze maps like the new ones, make some where we can run in the sky villages of the tengu. return the zephyrite map. Some need to rebuild. They can’t all be dead. open crystal desert and the fire isnlands, give me mursaat in PvE, with agony, get me 10 man or 12 man -dungeons-

wrong attitude
I am fed up with the “Yes, we know you do not like it, so we change it, but we really shift everything cause one little details is not okay! we surely need to remove and corrupt it as a whole”

Discussions can be usefull.

And last some things were developed well, got bugged and got corrupted beyond all repair in process never to be touched again. I ‘m still missing FW/UP from TA and I do not mean the 2 paths I mean the path the aetherblade one replaced. I still find Pistrix the shark dead each time I move past…. I’m sure I fought hiime a couple of times and I saw him swimming above the surface as well… I guess most dungeons would fit the same bill..

Oh and no you cannot have my stuff, I might be back:
I have 8 characters with full or mostly ascneded amor and 16 with ascended weapons, and 18 with full ascneded trinkets and 2 legendaries. Most of my gear is account bound or souldbound. and I do not have any cash anymore or materials.

It was fun. I’m gonna focus on my family a while… Guild wars was the best experience I had when I started, and you have managed to remove all the nice things from it, bit by bit, in 3.5yrs. I was a late arrival at gw1, but played it with a huge passion like I did gw2….

If this is the game I need to be playing I’ll move on to something I feel I can progress, Oh wait the only one I liked in the past 10 years were guild wars 1 and 2, Well I might just quit altogether then.

I give up. Good luck developing nice things for the others I’ll swing by in a year or so and enjoy the sights once more. I learned 1 thing this game is very nice when wanting to run around. maybe in a year people will do all meta events, and I can progress.

I have been there done that paid for it bought some skins and now I’m done.

I loved the game, I still love the people.

1st I’ll try to take arest for a week, and maybe I’ll come back….

If not: Thanks to all in the community for playing with me or against me.
I loved you and I will remember you. Get rich, get your legendaries.
Be the best and enjoy the rest.

tl,dr.

• I cannot find myself in HOT,
  • I would like most things reconsidered/reworked.
  • I do no longer have a gold income.
  • I need 2000 gold to rework my condi’s and hybrids.
  • Until changes happen I’m out, It’s a few bridges to far and I cannot find an updraft.

GL and HF!

You have been marvelous. Both A-Net and the players. It’s a shame the game has taken this direction, for what it’s worth: Thanks ALL of you for 7 years of great fun.

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

(edited by PaxTheGreatOne.9472)

Posted by: Hakuryuu.8634

Hakuryuu.8634

HoT has made everyone more toxic and salty. It’s understandable that you can’t please everyone, but as whole, this expansion brought more negatives to the game than positives. I don’t even know why the white knights are defending ANet tbh. WvW is kittened, PvP is kittened, PvE is a massive grind.

Lacuda.8543

This is all pointless. They aren’t going to change anything. It’s too late now. If they made the system fair at this point, it would totally screw over the guilds that have already sunk thousands into upgrades.

I’m a WVWer. Larger guilds, like, well, no names, already have some of their auras unlocked, whereas smaller guilds like mine don’t have anything unlocked. Other WvW guilds that are really PvX have lots of stuff unlocked. But both are effective WvW guilds. One regularly fields 20-30 on raid nights, mine fields 15-20 on raid nights. The difference is that the larger one has more people who do pvx. A guild I was recently in was sitting on 7,000 gold, whereas my current guild is sitting on 10.

Again, this isn’t going to change. Just accept it, be depressed, or stop playing.

It’s perfectly fine to let them fix it and accept that whatever gold has been sunk into it is gone. We are ready to accept that, and we’ve dropped $2000 gold between less than 8 people. Maybe you should be ready for that as well.

Swift.1930

It’s perfectly fine to let them fix it and accept that whatever gold has been sunk into it is gone. We are ready to accept that, and we’ve dropped $2000 gold between less than 8 people. Maybe you should be ready for that as well.

The problem is, a lot of people won’t accept that, and the forums will light up like a bonfire with people who have suddenly lost 500g+ each. I’m pretty sure that’s not the kind of publicity Anet wants, and wouldn’t be a fun community to have around us here…

There’s got to be better ways of balancing things. Like providing smaller halls with less/smaller options, like WvW-only-upgrade halls or something.

Been there, punned that.

Ehmry Bay Guardian

Lacuda.8543

The problem is, a lot of people won’t accept that, and the forums will light up like a bonfire with people who have suddenly lost 500g+ each. I’m pretty sure that’s not the kind of publicity Anet wants, and wouldn’t be a fun community to have around us here…

There’s got to be better ways of balancing things. Like providing smaller halls with less/smaller options, like WvW-only-upgrade halls or something.

Under your way of thinking, that still won’t work. Smaller guilds that have been paying big guild money would still be screwed. If you can’t handle the idea of accepting the loss of gold, then the only other option available to anet is to give away all the guild hall upgrades on next patch.

Swift.1930

Under your way of thinking, that still won’t work. Smaller guilds that have been paying big guild money would still be screwed. If you can’t handle the idea of accepting the loss of gold, then the only other option available to anet is to give away all the guild hall upgrades on next patch.

I’m not saying replace small guilds’ halls with small halls. I’m saying provide small halls as an option when first buying one. A guild can then choose which hall they want based on goals and capability. If they’re able to build up a full big hall, awesome. More power to them, and more/bigger services too.

Anet giving away the upgrades would pretty much (as you put it) screw anyone who paid money at all. A bit like commanders who had bought tags for all their characters (although I believe they were slightly compensated, if I remember correctly).

Been there, punned that.

Ehmry Bay Guardian

Posted by: Zero Day.2594

Zero Day.2594

Onto The Next Issue: Dragon’s Stand:
…seriously?

One of the most vital resources to the Guild Hall lies in Dragon’s Stand, during the event…the event that only comes up once with a 2 hour cooldown…the event that usually fails quickly then you’re stuck waiting yet another 2 hours for.

WAIT.

You can fail DS?
I need to try and do this.

Thief Nerf/Change Wish List. Advice List
Join the TEEFs!

Swift.1930

…seriously?

One of the most vital resources to the Guild Hall lies in Dragon’s Stand, during the event…the event that only comes up once with a 2 hour cooldown…the event that usually fails quickly then you’re stuck waiting yet another 2 hours for.

WAIT.

You can fail DS?

It does happen, especially with the huge number of empty maps that people end up stranded on when taxis disappear 5-10 mins into the event.

Oh yeah, and there was that time when everyone got to the boss and then the game actually refreshed all their instances when the boss hit 50% (voila, same timer, but the boss had magically vanished and there was no reward or chest). That was a fun one. Happened yesterday.

Been there, punned that.

Ehmry Bay Guardian

Posted by: Zero Day.2594

Zero Day.2594

…seriously?

WAIT.

You can fail DS?

It does happen, especially with the huge number of empty maps that people end up stranded on when taxis disappear 5-10 mins into the event.

Oh yeah, and there was that time when everyone got to the boss and then the game actually refreshed all their instances when the boss hit 50% (voila, same timer, but the boss had magically vanished and there was no reward or chest). That was a fun one. Happened yesterday.

I see… Have yet to happen to me.

Thief Nerf/Change Wish List. Advice List
Join the TEEFs!

Swift.1930

…seriously?

WAIT.

You can fail DS?

I see… Have yet to happen to me.

Glad for you, bud; I’ve farmed everything for my mistward collection except the helm insignia (DS) and the Chak Gerent piece. Pretty sure the latter’s a long way away – I’ve yet to even see a map succeed with the TD meta… =/

Edit: in fact, I’ve still yet to hear about a TD meta success.

Been there, punned that.

Ehmry Bay Guardian

(edited by Swift.1930)

Posted by: Head Case.4589

Head Case.4589

And then… spend hundreds to 1000’s of gold on a guild… /gkick. Just wow… thank you for the wasted time. I wont trust another thing from ANET ever again.

Posted by: Dashingsteel.3410

Dashingsteel.3410

Yep, there is no guarantee after you donate your time, gold and mats that you won’t be kicked later on from the guild you contributed to. That is why I called this new guild system a monstrosity.
They should never have done away with the passive influence system. They just ripped off the guilds who had built up influence over 3 years. Who cares if they would be able to afford guild upgrades on day one of the expansion? They had earned it after 3 years in my opinion.
Guild halls are just an incredibly cynical gold sink.

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

Glad people are losing gold on HoT while I’m making bank with it.