HoT Price Feedback + Base game included [merged]

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Trouble.3859

Trouble.3859

I’d be okay with 40 honestly, at least if the expansion is big enough.

Fifty bucks on the other hand is the price of a full game, and if they want to charge that, it should be because HoT adds as much content to the game as it launched with, something we all know isn’t going to happen.

I completely agree. 45euros for an expansion that doesn’t seem to contain that much content doesn’t really seem worth it imo.

Posted by: Gravox the Terrible.2157

Gravox the Terrible.2157

I will be buying the expansion as “Soon”™ as it’s on sale, or they do something about the new guy gets a super deal, vet gets to pay extra if you want a char slot scenario.
Bad form Anet, really bad form.

Posted by: Khristophoros.7194

Khristophoros.7194

50 bucks is ridiculous.

Enjoy your 3 new areas and 1 profession.

Posted by: Sober Oni.8290

Sober Oni.8290

Let’s look at WoW for a moment shall we? Keeping things as cheap as possible the core game costs $19.99, and the lowest price for a subscription is $11.50, so if you play for a year that’s $157.99. This is ignoring expansions, the higher priced subscription plans, and so on.

GW2 is a one time purchase of $40, $20, or $10 depending on when you got it. $157.99 for a year versus a flat $40. The $50 price tag is fine.

What an asinine comparison. Just because it’ll cost more to play WoW for a year doesn’t magically make this expansion worth $50.

You miss the point, which is you’ve already saved a tremendous amount of cash by simply playing the game for any amount of time at all. You’re welcome to play an inexpensive game and complain about the cost of it’s expansion, but please keep in mind that in the big MMO picture this price tag is nothing.

Unless of course $50 is just that difficult for someone to come by, and they had to wait for the $10 price drop after receiving the gaming computer donation, in which case I somewhat sympathize.

Posted by: Samnang.1879

Samnang.1879

Yeah, I already got the core game… don’t really need another one.

Please give us an option for the standard expansion at a cheaper price!

Please nerf bag types instead of class skills!

Posted by: Jack.1469

Jack.1469

Well, the character slot for standard edition would be nice, since we get new profession, but who cares.

Vote with Your wallet, if You think 50$ is a ripoff just don’t buy it, get over it and stop moaning.

If You think it is a fair price, buy and enjoy the HoT when released.

End of story for me.

We’re doing them a favor by telling them in advance how we’ll vote.

Well for me it is childish. When i see sth on market that i feel is overpriced, i don’t go to the market manager and shout at him how he ripoffs ppl…i just don’t buy that item…

Except people here are expressing their points of view. Having your voice heard is how companies far and wide are often pressured to back down from a decision.

It sounds to me like you’re the one who’s whining about other people whining. If you don’t like the whining, don’t post here, please!

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

So if an existing player buys the ‘core game’ again then shouldn’t we get 5 character slots for buying it again?

This. The price is insulting. Shouldn’t it come with a whole new account key? It’s really shady to say that it includes the core game, and charge veteran players based on that. I usually try to be more measured, but wow.

I know how xpacs work. I played WoW through Pandaria. Didn’t mind shelling out the cash for those. At least they came with character slots. I’ll stick with vanilla and see how this all pans out. Can’t imagine paying more than $25 based on what we’ve seen thus far. Especially not after the disaster that was 2014. Just, no.

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?

Posted by: Nunna.6413

Nunna.6413

/inb4 this topic magically disappear. LMAO

Posted by: Jaymee.1560

Jaymee.1560

I just hope when HoT IS released, that there IS $50 to $99.99 worth of content making it exit. Cause if this expansion runs like a Living Story…. ohhh boy, I am gonna be… mighty angry. Cause honestly? I don’t feel like ANet is “giving” anything to us, to be honest with you.

I use to be a Ritualist and a Paragon in my former life…

Posted by: SyllyReth.2495

SyllyReth.2495

I think it’s a little weird, and maybe short-sighted, that the basic/standard edition of the game doesn’t include an added character slot. In my opinion (and I’ve already prepurchased the Ultimate) it should at least include a character slot for the new class. Most MMOs offer this, and I think that was a big disappointment to see that the base edition did not include something that was frankly expected as the norm for the genre. Other than that, it seems like just changing the wording in the description would unruffle some feathers.

A character slot should definitely be provided in ALL of the editions, though.

Unbridled Dynasty [UND]

Posted by: Zappix.7928

Zappix.7928

I wonder how they’ll spin this?

Posted by: Regimentz.3471

Regimentz.3471

I was just thinking it was a mistake something they over looked but now you have me thinking.

Posted by: Relshdan.6854

Relshdan.6854

one can argue the value of the content vs. price point, but it is a subject thing, so i’ll ignore it even though its likely the main reason for people raging.

i would imagine the lack of a free character slot w/ the relatively high $50 price tag (upping the price for most vets to $60) is why many are upset. offering new player s a free base game, but vet players nothing doesn’t sit well w/ many vet players.

Chaos Organ (Ele), Pistol Opera (Thief), Modular Man (Eng)
MARA (EU) Gunnar’s Hold

(edited by Relshdan.6854)

Posted by: DarkReign.4503

DarkReign.4503

Man I saw this too while looking for release. Interesting they didn’t think of cache gett’n strange with this whole thing.

Posted by: xBrownZ.7360

xBrownZ.7360

I’d just like to point out that the $50 option gives you the base game and the expansion, WITHOUT the extra stuff you would get from buying the deluxe edition of the base game. The last price of the deluxe edition was $20, so I would assume the expansion is $40 while just the base game is $10, which isn’t too terribly much to buy again. I also see $40 being a very fair price for the expansion, so at most I would see anet dropping $10 off the expansion if you already have it, but I highly doubt it. At any rate, I already bought the $75 package and if HoT is as good as anet is letting on, then I’ll stand by my choice.

Also as a side note, there is no way anet is only releasing 3 new areas. I’d say about 7, each of those with the 3 jungle level system they said, and also each being a fairly good size, definitely bigger than any of the maps in the game at launch (maybe not as amount of space the map takes up, but verticality makes up for that).

Actually, if you see this post the base game was $40 a few hours ago.
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/hot/Isn-t-this-shady/first#post5156962

Posted by: Leo.6817

Leo.6817

It is very simple why it upsets me, I followed this game through development, I pre-ordered it, I supported it from launch to now, spending money whenever I could.

And now I’m being excluded from a freebie if I want to upgrade that same account, please explain to me how it is fair for me to pay the same price as a New Player however in that they get a copy of the ‘core game’ for free and I only get the expansion.

This is not fair, at least existing players should have the option of doing something with that core game, they should be able to give it to a friend, or use it to make a second account after upgrading their original.

You are paying the same as a new player (technically more if you count what you paid at release) but are getting less products in return, even if one of said products is a so called ‘freebie’

Posted by: little ceasar.9254

little ceasar.9254

So if you buy a t-shirt today at Target for $20, then 2 years later, random person A buys the same T-shirt that is on sale for $10, then Target is being unfair? They are not getting more value than you, you’ve been playing this game sans subscription fee for x number of years. In that time you have managed to accumulate more in-game resource than they have. Experienced content that have now been permanently removed that they can’t experience as a new player. Given the chance to obtain skins that are now no longer obtainable. Received the LS2 updates for free, while they would have to pay around $20 to unlock all of that.

Your arguments don’t even make any sense anymore, that T-Shirt at Target would never be ‘free’ 2 years later, it would still cost something, the core game now evidently does not cost anything for new players if they buy the expansion, and yes they do get more value then me, they will ALSO get to play the game subscription free for years to come, seriously your entire argument is “You got to play for longer, that is your reward” which makes NO sense whatsoever, if -you- are happy with that as your reward for being a loyal customer and supporter of the game then fine? Good for you?

One look over the forums suggests that the majority of said customers are not, so we being the majority and you being the minority, please explain how ‘everyone’ is wrong and only you and a few select individuals are ‘correct’.

If you don’t actually enjoy playing the game, then why are you even here?

Wow…really, I mean it really is not that often I find someone either this horrendous at logic or just lacking the ability to read before posting.

Not once did I say I do not enjoy playing the game, not once did I mention anything in relation to my enjoyment of the actual game, only about this whole expansion, free core game and price situation…seriously, I’m starting to think you are just trying troll now.

ok let me give you a better example. If you buy a car for $20k today, then two years later a new version of the same car (the base game) is being sold for $15k, but this new model comes with better seats, improved headlights/braking whatever (the expansion). Were you ripped off? No you were not, you have used that car for two years as a mode of transport. You got to use that car to go to some one-off festival last year that will never happen ever again. You got to use your car to go on a road trip with some friends, if you didn’t have that car you would’ve had to rent a car or go hitchhiking instead etc. In the same way the game has given you x years of enjoyment. It allowed you to enjoy content that is one-off and will never come back. You have got your money’s worth in the form of experience.

It’s more along the lines of you pay 30k for a car 3 years ago. 3 years later a new road is built but you need to upgrade your car to drive on it. Hey it will cost you 20k in upgrades to make your car eligible for this new road. But wait! if your new we will give you a free car (30k value) if you buy just the 20k upgrade. If you have an old car? Sorry the new car goes back to the lot.

Ashr [AGG]RESSION
CD→SoS→BG→ET→DB→JQ→SoS→
Mag→JQ→SoS→JQ→TC→FA→DB→FA→Mag→TC→KN

Posted by: Pockets.3201

Pockets.3201

They are asking us to pay just about the same price as the base game was on release, for a fraction of the content.

Posted by: Deth.4109

Deth.4109

I just hope there’s an expansion price for people who already OWN the game, why they had a popup in-game for players who already have the game is beyond me, that one should have shown the expansion price (without the price for the full game since I already own it). This is just an expansion, like Eye of the North, EoTN didn’t include the base game, Factions did but it also had 2 character slots and 2 new professions. HoT is not that type of expansion, it’s a simple content expansion that simply adds the areas and a lot of features we had in gw1 maguuma area… I would have prepurchased at $30 but at $50 I’d rather get a full game and wait on HoT until it was on sale.

At this price I’ll be getting Fallout4 instead of an expansion.

$49.99 is the Price of just the Expansion. The Core Game is an extra bonus for new players and they get it for free. This was already verified by Anets Twitter.

It’s $50 for the game+expansion, or just the expansion of you paid for the game, no matter how you try to spin it. Basically, you get less for more if you’re a loyal customer. It’s a ripoff based on that alone.

So comparing veterans to newcomers, veterans paid $50 3 years earlier than new comers and thus had access to 3 years of gameplay that the newcomers missed out on. You paid $50 at launch for the base game and had access ever since. You will even have a leg up on them forever for anniversary stuff. What else do you want?

Minimum? A character slot to try the new profession.

and you’re some how entitled to those things?

Compared to how GW1 Expansions worked asking for just a ONE Free Character Slot isn’t asking much at all and one would think would be standard.

on what grounds would that be standard? if you been playing since pre launch like me you have had three years to hit maximum character slots on your account either through grinding gold for gems or just paying the 10 bucks it cost again i ask on what grounds is any current player entitled to extra character slots?

Posted by: Darkened.7015

Darkened.7015

I was really excited with HoT until I saw this.

So you want us to pay the same money for HoT expansion than for a complete GW1 game at its release date??

So you pretend us to rebuy the core game? Why the hell should we pay twice for a single product?

Why should we, veterans players who have helped you on mantaining the game and have supported the game since months or even years ago, pay for a product we already have? Why the good price and the good news goes to players who have given you nothing at all?

I am really discontented with this decision.

I really like GW2, I play since game release and I played GW1 too. I enjoy playing this game but this sales policy makes me feel cheated

Exactly.. nail on the head with my feelings.. It’s not about the $50.. if the content justifies it.. Call me odd but add a character slot and take the Core game OUT of the package, and I’m fine with the $50…. I hate that other peopel will get it for half of what I paid for it..

Especially, this will cause an influx in the cheaters which have previously been banned, because now they get to jump back in and don’t need to buy the core game as a prerequisite

Posted by: Zoul.1087

Zoul.1087

Anyone who bought the game yesterday will have to pay $90 to get the game. Anyone who buys it today will have to pay $50. Sounds fair?

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

There is no spin for this which is why they’ll say nothing.

Posted by: MashMash.1645

MashMash.1645

They are asking us to pay just about the same price as the base game was on release, for a fraction of the content.

This!

Pre-Ordered HoT | Recently started to get what I paid for – may spend $$$

Posted by: MashMash.1645

MashMash.1645

This is just greed, pure and simple.

Pre-Ordered HoT | Recently started to get what I paid for – may spend $$$

Posted by: Kalarchis.8635

Kalarchis.8635

Do you really not understand why people are upset?

New player – $50 = 2 games, 5 character slots.
Old players – $50 = 1 game, no slots.

The issue is not that the xpac is $50 bucks. I’m cool with that. It’s that new people get the base for free, while I get nothing extra, not even a single slot.

Posted by: Zappix.7928

Zappix.7928

Posted by: Keneth.6490

Keneth.6490

New players are getting a free game. Old players are getting…. nothing. What’s so hard to understand?

Setting aside the fact that what has been shown so far is hardly worth the pricing and that most people will have to dish out an extra $10 for another character slot if they’re buying the standard edition, at the very least they should give existing players an extra game key if they’re giving them out for free. Otherwise, what’s the point of “upgrading” your account for the exact same price if all you’re getting is a slap in the face for years of loyalty?

Posted by: Blackworm.2167

Blackworm.2167

Basically it’s like this:

1. Want expansion? Pay $50.

2. Also want extra goodies and a character slot? Pay $75.

3. Also want 4000 gems discounted to 50% of the price? Pay $100.

Don’t even worry about the core game nonsense. Basically, you’re buying the expansion. If you don’t have the core game, then they are just giving you that for free so you can still play with everyone else as the expansion by itself is not a usable product. If you already have the base game, then you’re just buying the expansion.

I too share some concerns that the content may be a little light, but it’s more than just extra PvE story missions they’re putting in there. We haven’t quite seen everything that’s going in yet.

And the problem with that, is that people who already bought the core game are paying double that than would those who did not. Latecomers get something we already payed for, for free.
By that logic, we who already own the core game, should receive the expansion for free; $50 either way.

At its current price, HoT is basically a standalone, and unlike GW1 standalones, I don’t see 2 new professions and a whole new continent the size of Tyria (i.e. Cantha, Elona) in this purchase.

GW1 – Dervish / Warrior –
GW2 – Borlis Pass – Revenant & Warrior –
Steam Profile

(edited by Blackworm.2167)

xBrownZ.7360

Yup, they are trying to laugh it off.

Posted by: Feirlista Xv.1425

Feirlista Xv.1425

Most retailer will price match as much as 30 days I think Anet will make good on this. Open a support ticket if you bought the game in the last 30 days see what type of respouce you get before casting judgment.

Opinions are like ______ everyone has one I could
put the correct term in but not everyone has kittens

Posted by: Lyger.5429

Lyger.5429

Is it normal to open pre-purchases w/o a release date, just curios as I haven’t pre-ordered before.

Posted by: MoonStoneX.9245

MoonStoneX.9245

I just hope there’s an expansion price for people who already OWN the game, why they had a popup in-game for players who already have the game is beyond me, that one should have shown the expansion price (without the price for the full game since I already own it). This is just an expansion, like Eye of the North, EoTN didn’t include the base game, Factions did but it also had 2 character slots and 2 new professions. HoT is not that type of expansion, it’s a simple content expansion that simply adds the areas and a lot of features we had in gw1 maguuma area… I would have prepurchased at $30 but at $50 I’d rather get a full game and wait on HoT until it was on sale.

At this price I’ll be getting Fallout4 instead of an expansion.

$49.99 is the Price of just the Expansion. The Core Game is an extra bonus for new players and they get it for free. This was already verified by Anets Twitter.

It’s $50 for the game+expansion, or just the expansion of you paid for the game, no matter how you try to spin it. Basically, you get less for more if you’re a loyal customer. It’s a ripoff based on that alone.

So comparing veterans to newcomers, veterans paid $50 3 years earlier than new comers and thus had access to 3 years of gameplay that the newcomers missed out on. You paid $50 at launch for the base game and had access ever since. You will even have a leg up on them forever for anniversary stuff. What else do you want?

Minimum? A character slot to try the new profession.

and you’re some how entitled to those things?

Compared to how GW1 Expansions worked asking for just a ONE Free Character Slot isn’t asking much at all and one would think would be standard.

on what grounds would that be standard? if you been playing since pre launch like me you have had three years to hit maximum character slots on your account either through grinding gold for gems or just paying the 10 bucks it cost again i ask on what grounds is any current player entitled to extra character slots?

Because ever Guild Wars 1 Expansion gave you 2 Free Character Slot. 1 for each new class it added. You got every Character Slot? Good for you I don’t.

Posted by: Phat Stackage.5329

Phat Stackage.5329

Thank you for your post… more people need to see this. Anet needs to do right by us…

xBrownZ.7360

Is it normal to open pre-purchases w/o a release date, just curios as I haven’t pre-ordered before.

This is the first I’ve seen it done.

Posted by: Excludee.3850

Excludee.3850

Not to mention, you need to pay an additional $10 on top of the $50 package if you need that extra slot to play revenant.

That or delete one of your other characters.

Posted by: Zoul.1087

Zoul.1087

So if you buy a t-shirt today at Target for $20, then 2 years later, random person A buys the same T-shirt that is on sale for $10, then Target is being unfair? They are not getting more value than you, you’ve been playing this game sans subscription fee for x number of years. In that time you have managed to accumulate more in-game resource than they have. Experienced content that have now been permanently removed that they can’t experience as a new player. Given the chance to obtain skins that are now no longer obtainable. Received the LS2 updates for free, while they would have to pay around $20 to unlock all of that.

Your arguments don’t even make any sense anymore, that T-Shirt at Target would never be ‘free’ 2 years later, it would still cost something, the core game now evidently does not cost anything for new players if they buy the expansion, and yes they do get more value then me, they will ALSO get to play the game subscription free for years to come, seriously your entire argument is “You got to play for longer, that is your reward” which makes NO sense whatsoever, if -you- are happy with that as your reward for being a loyal customer and supporter of the game then fine? Good for you?

One look over the forums suggests that the majority of said customers are not, so we being the majority and you being the minority, please explain how ‘everyone’ is wrong and only you and a few select individuals are ‘correct’.

Wow…really, I mean it really is not that often I find someone either this horrendous at logic or just lacking the ability to read before posting.

Not once did I say I do not enjoy playing the game, not once did I mention anything in relation to my enjoyment of the actual game, only about this whole expansion, free core game and price situation…seriously, I’m starting to think you are just trying troll now.

ok let me give you a better example. If you buy a car for $20k today, then two years later a new version of the same car (the base game) is being sold for $15k, but this new model comes with better seats, improved headlights/braking whatever (the expansion). Were you ripped off? No you were not, you have used that car for two years as a mode of transport. You got to use that car to go to some one-off festival last year that will never happen ever again. You got to use your car to go on a road trip with some friends, if you didn’t have that car you would’ve had to rent a car or go hitchhiking instead etc. In the same way the game has given you x years of enjoyment. It allowed you to enjoy content that is one-off and will never come back. You have got your money’s worth in the form of experience.

What about the people who bought the core game 2-4 hours ago and paid $40? Did they get their money’s worth?

Posted by: Slininstien.7546

Slininstien.7546

50$ for a 3 year game isn’t bad, the fact that some people are complaining when, if you’ve been willing to invest money into this game outside the initial purchase, you’ve most likely spent at least a hundred dollars over the 3 years, this isn’t bad at all.

To me, the in game purchase is just a benefit, for PvPers like myself, It gives us a new account to run on EU and learn new things and play at a high tier that sometimes NA doesn’t have and reverse for EU players.

For PvErs and WvWers I’m not sure what benefit this is, but the fact that most of HoT is for PvE and WvW, if you’re part of that section of the game and dont want to buy this I ask why? Guilds will be running smoother and more together, GvG’s are in a distinct zones that can’t be interrupted and even 5v5’s 15v15s and up to even 50v50’s if you need be this is all gonna be for the people not in PvP.

The only people I see complaining about HoT is PvPers cause they don’t receive nearly as much useful things as any other section of the game. They gain new weapons on their classes and the reventant. That’s about it. Most won’t use their Guild castles cause you can’t queue from outside the HOTM anyway. So to me, complain about this if you’re PvP, but any other section of the game is gaining a second game to me, everything will be much smoother, much more customizable, and much more together for all other guilds that run.

Posted by: Linnael.1069

Linnael.1069

Gonna just plug the earlier post in case people drop into this one wondering what the big deal with the FAQ was about. https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/hot/From-the-Heart-of-Thorns-Q-A-Page/first#post5157022

Yea honestly I’m just screenshotting this stuff because i’m expecting the whole thread to get deleted in a few.

Stormbluff Isle – Syliara
Elementalist – Necromancer – Warrior

Posted by: Kruczek.3865

Kruczek.3865

Also do you remember how they were timing their GW2 sales with HoT announcements? This is just unreal.

Posted by: Errant.1509

Errant.1509

Most retailer will price match as much as 30 days I think Anet will make good on this. Open a support ticket if you bought the game in the last 30 days see what type of respouce you get before casting judgment.

Anet closes accounts for any refund though, so you’d have to lose any progress you’ve made since you bought the game and you’d have to wait for release to start playing again.

Posted by: Crise.9401

Crise.9401

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3a46s4/preorders_for_heart_of_thorns_are_now_live/cs96lfu

They are not leaving the customers that recently purchased the core game at 40$ without a means of recourse. It is just the entitled people who bought and have played the game for a long time that are out of luck.

Is their pricing a great deal for veteran players, hell no… is it something to be all broken up about, also definitely a no. HoT is not a required purchase to keep playing after all.

(edited by Crise.9401)

Posted by: Firebaall.5127

Firebaall.5127

So, a kittenty living story equivalent for $50 – $100?

Oh….hi Summer Steam Sale!

They should have kept the expansion model of the first GW. This is crap.

Posted by: Ehie.9105

Ehie.9105

Let me know when you guys decide to sell the expansion separately at a lower price point. And if you don’t, well I guess I’ll stick with the core game.

Posted by: kawo.6935

kawo.6935

for me, it’s a fine deal if…
50$ with no additional slot for new players with core, or
50$ with an additional slot for old player without an extra copy of the core game.

Be still! Take a long, loving look at me, your High God, above politics, above everything.

Posted by: Witte.3160

Witte.3160

I for one can’t blame the op. And the community of this game clearly isn’t any more comprehensive as the one of wow. It seems whenever you present your fans with an even bigger pile of dirt as the last time, they will even say it tastes better than last time. I bought every collector edition of gw and also laid down 180 bucks for the collectors edition of gw2. For this expansion, I’m willing to give 0. If the content is as stale as the living story content, yes even season 2 was sub-par, then it deserves no money from me at all. With a game where the only new weapons are just skins in the store and the only good thing is fractals 35+ I’m not going to invest in its future any longer. Good luck arenanet.

PS: no trolls, you can’t get my stuff either.

Posted by: Laraley.7695

Laraley.7695

What about the people who bought the core game 2-4 hours ago and paid $40? Did they get their money’s worth?

Especially when they had the information they will need the core game to play HoT.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

on what grounds is any current player entitled to extra character slots?

They are not entitled to an extra character slot.

They are entitled to ask for an extra character slot to be included in the price of the expansion.

They are entitled to allow the lack of an extra character slot to influence their decision on whether or not to buy the expansion.

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

The price isn’t just what people are upset about. The FAQs for HoT indicated that players would need the base game in order to play the expac, so they bought it. Now the base game is being included for free. People were misled.

Posted by: HawkMeister.4758

HawkMeister.4758

So it´s pretty much official, screw the Vets.

Okidoke..

Polish > hype

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

But the difference is, i go to work now and won’t visit this forum till the next expansion like some ppl here. So if You have any stuff to say to me, do it ingame

Um . . . but you still voiced your opinion on the forum. Whether once or a thousand times . . . it doesn’t make a difference. You are now part of that 1% vocal minority.

And honestly? I think you know it too.

Gone to Reddit.