HoT Price Feedback + Base game included [merged]

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Will Lucky.8703

Will Lucky.8703

Looking at the price of PC games in the past two years, yes this is in line with expectations actually.

Server: Far Shiverpeaks

Posted by: Gene Archer.8560

Gene Archer.8560

Wasn’t gonna get the expansion anyway, but was still feeling a little bummed about what I’d be missing despite that decision.

Now? Nope, don’t feel bad about it at all. Not surprised at all that ANet is failing to deliver.

Posted by: SigmaOfApeiron.8397

SigmaOfApeiron.8397

ANet… Look at this whole thread… This is a complete disgrace.
3 years, heck, over 10 now for many of us..
A core game that is currently valued at 0USD/EUR and an overpriced expansion that makes new players feel welcomed, and veteran players betrayed. Not to mention the lack of character slots.
I thought the NPE was the end to this madness… Seems it was just the start. I’m out, along with my friends. This just won’t do.

Posted by: Daddar.5971

Daddar.5971

just found this on the tube enjoy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BC9LC6JLS_I

LOL! That video nails it!

All A-net needs to do to reverse all this negativity is to make a statement similar to:

“We really value our loyal veteran players. As an extra bonus, all current GW2 players who pre-purchase any of the Heart of Thorns packages before [insert date here] will get an additional character slot for free.”

The whining would die down, and the wallets would come out (and I definitely include myself in that!).

‘Elite’ in all 9 professions. I take mediocrity seriously!

Posted by: papry.8096

papry.8096

Let’s break it down, assuming typical numbers…

WoW, EQ2, etc:
$15 per month for a year = $180
$40 for an expansion
TOTAL – $220 a year (assuming 1 expansion per year)

GW2:
$60 for game at release
No monthly subscription
$50 for 1st expansion in 3 years
TOTAL = $110 over 3 years, or average $36.67 per year

So, over 3 years, the typical player would have spent $660 in WoW, EQ2 or any typical subscription game. But only $110 in GW2. Does not seem like a bad deal to me. The only criticism I have is that, with a new Profession coming out, I feel all editions should include the free character slot.

Cashshop…..cough cough…

Cash shop is completely optional. No one has to use it. There is nothing game-changing in the Gem Shop. Any money you, I, or anyone else used to buy gems was by choice, not a requirement.

Cashshop isn’t a requirement but it’s a source of revenue for Anet & some player spend a lot on Cashshop in real money.
You are just taking the lower end of the bracket when it’s come to player spending on GW2.

By the way the gems that you can buy in the gold/gems exchange system is gems purchased by others players with money.
So money in Anet pocket.

(edited by papry.8096)

Posted by: olTThreelo.6710

olTThreelo.6710

Stuff like guild halls and gvg should have been included at launch.

How can you say guild vs. guild should of been included at launch? The game is called “Guild Wars 2” after all… er I mean… good point.

$50 is too much and including the base game to justify the exorbitant price, whether they say it’s included for free or not, doesn’t float with me, or my clan mates who have all said they aren’t paying $50 and will move on to other games.

Posted by: Auralae.7482

Auralae.7482

I bought my first two copies of GW2 as a pre-order for early launch so my husband and I could play together. Since then, I have added three additional accounts (one for each of my kids and an additional one for me). I have bought character slots and other things with gem purchases. I have also taken breaks from the game for well over a year. I am a sporadic player. When I do play, it’s often with members of my family. My life is at a point where I am hopelessly casual, and I’m fine with that. I don’t care about PvP or running with a big guild (been there, done that in WoW), so there’s content in HoT that doesn’t entice me.

It doesn’t matter to me if someone else perceives $50 as a bargain for the hours of entertainment. I care about what I perceive as worthwhile. An expansion for each member of my family and a character slot to try the new class would be about $250 (all of us have maxed slots) or a couple hundred and deleting some characters. Yes, the game provides hours of entertainment, but so do other things that we enjoy. My oldest kid and I have gotten a lot of hours from an $80 box of Battlecon, and we didn’t even think twice about Kickstarting $175 in pledges for their new offering because we love the series. My fervor for GW2 currently isn’t that strong though, and I can still do a lot of content with my family without the expansion. So, at the $50 price point with no character slots, it doesn’t seem worthwhile to me. At a lower price or with things I perceive as having more value, it does. At $50, I might buy one copy. At $30, I’d buy at least 2, but probably 4.

For me, it’s not about entitlement or what other MMOs cost, but about where I currently spend most of my limited free time and how I want to spend my money. Right now, GW2 hasn’t been enticing me to do much beyond log in or maybe run an occasional Tequatl. My kids aren’t logging in at all. From what I’ve seen of HoT, my interest is peaked, but not enough to spend $60 or $50 and a character deletion to check it out. It’s not about trying to get something for nothing, but simply what is worth my time and money. Maybe more info on HoT will pull me away from other things or make it seem worth $50 for a game that I’m occasionally playing. Until I know more, I’m passing.

Posted by: AWACS.6537

AWACS.6537

Let’s break it down, assuming typical numbers…

WoW, EQ2, etc:
$15 per month for a year = $180
$40 for an expansion
TOTAL – $220 a year (assuming 1 expansion per year)

GW2:
$60 for game at release
No monthly subscription
$50 for 1st expansion in 3 years
TOTAL = $110 over 3 years, or average $36.67 per year

So, over 3 years, the typical player would have spent $660 in WoW, EQ2 or any typical subscription game. But only $110 in GW2. Does not seem like a bad deal to me. The only criticism I have is that, with a new Profession coming out, I feel all editions should include the free character slot.

Cashshop…..cough cough…

Cash shop is completely optional. No one has to use it. There is nothing game-changing in the Gem Shop. Any money you, I, or anyone else used to buy gems was by choice, not a requirement.

Cashshop isn’t a requirement but it’s a source of revenue for Anet & some player spend a lot on Cashshop in real money.
You are just taking the lower end of the bracket when it’s come to player spending on GW2.

The cash shop WILL become a requirement if you want to play the new class and don’t want to delete an existing character.

No.

Posted by: Master Bojangles.5183

Master Bojangles.5183

$49.99 is the standard price for a full expansion. For comparison, GW2’s original price was $59.99 and the deluxe was $79.99. Whether HoT is actually worth the price of a full expansion is another question.

I’m pretty sure GW: Eye of the North was a lot cheaper than $50. HoT being this price if you already own the base game is just silly.

Plus it had the same amount of content, you got one entire new world on every expansion and a couple of char slots pluss the new classes. Here we get what a couple of maps at most?.

Correct, Nightfall, EotN, and factions where whole worlds, 2 new classes each, new heroes, skills, weapons, EotN had over 10 new dungeons alone with heroic modes. New races and lore with each. If they opened up Canta, or the entire Northern Shiverpeaks and added more weapons and classes I would be fine dishing 50$ out. But this is a single dragon and a few maps by the sound of it. Keep in mind this is only the second elder dragon, and there are areas on the current map for the other dragons. So it’s going to be 50$ an elder dragon in the future and a couple maps each? I’m not going to dish out hundreds of dollars for minimal content to complete just the core story line. Save expansion prices for full expansions like Nightfall, Factions or EotN.

Posted by: rowanne.5012

rowanne.5012

I don’t really have more to say then whats been said.

It’s too expensive. It doesn’t sound like a full expansion. I feel like I’m paying for guild halls and your skills overhauls (fixes). You may have intended the price to be the same either way but, instead of feeling nice to new players, the additional core game feels unfair to people who have accounts.
Either give us a discount ($20?) or add something to compensate.

Veterans at least FEEL (have been?) abandoned. They are your core players…

Posted by: RabbitUp.8294

RabbitUp.8294

Actually if you just bought the game four days ago, from what I have seen you should contact support. If you paid full price through this website there is a good chance they will work with you to upgrade you to HOT.

From what other players posted, they are willing to refund your existing account (and the GW2 purchase) and let you make a new GW2+HoT account with the code.

It goes without mention that you lose your characters/gold/gems.

Looking at the price of PC games in the past two years, yes this is in line with expectations actually.

HoT is looking nowhere near close to being a full game. All things aside, they still refuse to give us a less vague description of the new content, or even a release date, yet still ask for a pre-purchase at full price.

AWACS.6537

No.

Posted by: Kasteros.9847

Kasteros.9847

Actually ppl are raging cos HoT isn’t worth 50$. What does HoT( the 1 to buy) gives u:
- 3-5 pve maps
- 1 new class
- GH
- lore
- HoT masteries( i.e glidders)
- 1 new crafting discipline supposed ot be working with guild only
And now let’s get back in time to GW2 and what it offered:
- 20+ maps
- 8 class
- a lot of lore
- 8 crafting disciplines
- 5 character slots
- 7 dungs
- FoTM
- and much more
Now u see the driffrence in content. Still worth it to pay 50$ for about 1/20 of basic game that was set up at price of 50$ too? I don’t think so. The whole thing is about content of expanion not worth a kittening 50$( for such price u can buy 2 new games OR buy all exps[ including newest] for SWTOR and have 6x more content to have fun with. And that is the point! Even if they are including gvg still not gonan buy it for such price, expecially if they aren’t going ot reveal how huge the arena is and how many players form enemy guild will be able to join.

ps. Did u really believe that they gave basic game for free to xpac purchase?

[One][SiOn][dF]
16.03.15 We remember! R.I.P. MT
Shocking interview with Anet WvW Dev

(edited by Kasteros.9847)

Posted by: Raven.3957

Raven.3957

You know, after thinking in depth about the price. I am going to say this right here outright.

I am alright with paying $50.00 USD for this expansion. Gw2 was great, had lots of content and even if its not gonna be as much content in the new expansion as the base game, I paid about the same for each WoW expansion I ever played up until I quit that kitten like a bad habit.

Now with that said, let me tell you what im NOT okay with:
For new players, players who are not loyal and might not even make a fully lv 80 character before getting bored with the game.. Those players are getting a GREAT deal for the 50$.. For all of us who had played the game from before it even released, bought it at full price, or even paid for deluxe packages in the past.. We are paying just as much as those new players, only we are paying MORE.. Why more? Well, because your gonna have to buy a new character slot.. otherwise no revenant for you?

So new players get the expansion, and the base game, for $50.00
Old loyal players only get the expansion for $60.00 (Because a character slot is 10$ in gems.)

If arenanet announced they were gonna do it this way all along, I would be less offended. The fact they made sales to sell the base game, considering they were gonna give it away anyway seems like they are trying to funnel money out of us. The fact that they arent giving people characterslots that cost them nothing, makes me feel like there trying to funnel an extra 10$ out of me after I buy the expansion that I NEED to buy to play all this wonderful new content.

From what I’ve seen reading through the 50 or so PAGES of people complaining, anet is going to attract new people who might not even give a crap about their game, and push away the loyal faithful players who have stuck with them all this time because they seem to be a bit too obvious with their selling tactics that all we are to them right now are $$.

I know the damage is done, and they cant take away the free core game.
I know that they wont make the price cheaper because anyone whos already bought it will complain just as much as all of you are now.

But they can still attempt to make this better somehow.. I would even be content with just having a single free character slot to an existing account being upgraded, vs the new account/hot upgrade.

This way the old players get a character slot and the expansion for 50$, and the new players get the core game (that comes with 5 empty slots) and the expansion for 50$.

Without that, its obvious that arenanet is forcing old players to get their value in buying the 100$ package. Because for vets, the standard package will cost them $60.00.

the 100$ package gives you a free slot (10$ there) the 50$ in gems (thats 60$ already) Plus all the fluff like titles and finishers, and leaves you buying the expansion for only $40.00

So, am I to understand as a loyal veteran player, to get my moneys worth I need to spend 100$? While a newb who probably wont make a single lv 80 gets their moneys worth out of 50$?

Thats what upsets me in the end. Thats my two cents about this crap.

(edited by Raven.3957)

Posted by: Will Lucky.8703

Will Lucky.8703

HoT is looking nowhere near close to being a full game. All things aside, they still refuse to give us a less vague description of the new content, or even a release date, yet still ask for a pre-purchase at full price.

Oh, I expected £35/$50 from day one simply because of Blizzards moves in the business over the past two years. When I saw Reaper of Souls being sold for £35 on day one I knew that was the new baseline, I expected a major expansion pack to GW2 to be sold for that price.

Server: Far Shiverpeaks

AWACS.6537

No.

Posted by: upsdn.5426

upsdn.5426

That’s not what people are upset about.

Posted by: Castien.1872

Castien.1872

I have one question for you ArenaNet:

HAVE YOU LOST YOUR VULCAN MIND?!?!?!?

You’re charging 50 bucks for HoT and including the original game in that price? No option for us vets to just grab HoT at like 20-30 bucks? No offense, but screw new players. They haven’t gone through what we’ve gone through to get to where we are in that freaking game! If they want both, them make them pay the 30-40 bucks it costs to buy the original game and charge everyone a flat 20-30 bucks for the expansion.

This ain’t a GW Factions or Nightfall level expansion like in the original game. They both added tons of story, tons of content, 2 new classes each (4 total), etc. This adds nowhere near that level of content, so charging 50 bucks for it is outrageous!

If you came out and charged the vets 30 bucks, I’d probably whine a little bit, but I’d be cool with it overall, especially because I think this xpac is worth only about 20 bucks. Or better yet, give us a character slot and the ability to give that free base game to a friend and I bet everyone would be cool with that price tag.

Posted by: Otokomae.9356

Otokomae.9356

I just want to take a moment to point out that we’re about to hit 60 pages in less than 24-hours since the price of Heart of Thorns became available…

WE DID EVERYONE!!!

Man, I would NOT want to be the person hosting POI Live on Twitch this Friday…

Bakuon/Bakuon Thief [MAS]/ ex-[ATac]

Posted by: Chasing Gore.2839

Chasing Gore.2839

not going to lie, im pretty kittened about how the expansion cost $50. I thought it was going to cost somewhere around 30$ max. Not to mention they pretty much gave new players the game for free if they buy the expansion. But what about the old and loyal players? With no compensation at all, this is so not worth it.

Posted by: RedStorm.1804

RedStorm.1804

When I first heard that Heart of Thorns was available for prepurchase I was ecstatic. But when I saw the expansion was $50 my jaw dropped. I don’t get why we are paying for a game we already have just to get the expansion. We don’t even get any additional bonuses like character slots or anything.

We are paying $50 just for a few new areas and one new profession. The only way to get any real value is to buy the ultimate edition for $100, which is out of my price range just for an expansion.

I was really looking forward to this expansion, but I am sorry to say I probably won’t get it until there is a price drop or additional bonus tied to Heart of Thorns.

Posted by: hapvis.7059

hapvis.7059

Before this gets merged you all need to realize the expansion the actual expansion is $50. Yes if your a brand new player you get base game to. Even if anet removed the free base game for new players it would still be $50. Please understand the ONLY thing anet did was be generous to new players which will also get new players in the game for us. This is good for everyone in every way. If you just bought the game 4 days ago or whatever so what, you have months to play before it comes out, go have fun with this game instead of complaining.

From a player who finally makes sense.

I believe we will have tons of new players if GW2 core become Free to play.

Posted by: DarksunG.9537

DarksunG.9537

Before this gets merged you all need to realize the expansion the actual expansion is $50.

That amount of money for such a small expansion is too high. Even if it had 10 zones. That’s why people are focusing on the core inclusion. it’s unthinkable to many to pay that much for this so ppl assume they are paying for the “bonus”. it’s not remotely the amount of content from the core game.
To a player that rationalizes…

Here is a solution to all argument.Want it, have money for it, Buy it. Want it, no money for it, save up money. Don’t want it, don’t buy it. It is that simple. All the arguments and rioting are getting ridiculous.

Yours included.

(edited by DarksunG.9537)

Posted by: Cactus Brawler.7415

Cactus Brawler.7415

Are the codes separate when you pre-purchase?

Do you get a code for GW2 and another one for HoT?

Or is it only one code that combines both?

Because a third account would be useful.

Posted by: olTThreelo.6710

olTThreelo.6710

When I first heard that Heart of Thorns was available for prepurchase I was ecstatic.

Let me just say that anyone who gets “ecstatic” about being about to pre-order a game in this day and age just isn’t keeping up with the gaming community. STOP pre-ordering games people!

Otokomae.9356

You do not get 2 codes, the free account vanishes forever the moment you apply your expac purchase to an existing account.

Posted by: crunchyraisin.6054

crunchyraisin.6054

$50 is a more than reasonable price for an expansion for a free game with no subscription fee. Most of us with brain stems were expecting something in the ball park of $40 anyway.

Nobody would complain if they weren’t giving an incentive to new players. As a vet, frankly I’ happy about this incentive. It should improve the game.

You’re getting guild halls, a new pvp mode, elite specializations, a new class, a new borderlands, new maps and god knows what else.

Anet’s only mistake with this was underestimating how many fairness queens are in its playerbase.

Posted by: Nevyn.3812

Nevyn.3812

I will weigh in here just for the sake of letting ArenaNet know my point.

- Adding the base game to the HoT expansion, fine it will be good for the player base in general. I have no issue wit this.
- Cost of $50 US – fine, even though we still don’t have the full details of the expansion and it’s playable size. There are a group of companies in the business to make money.
- Not including a character slot in the $50.00 expansion pack – Not acceptable.
- Advising people that the base game is needed for the expansion (remembering the recent sales of the base game) and then changing that on the website in an underhanded way to suit their current HoT release strategy is also not acceptable.

The player base are more intelligent these days and this is just plain rude, especially to the current and regular players. Anyone who plays this game consistently will have used all of their character slots and most likely purchased more. The expansion should include at least one character slot for the new class.
I don’t want the digital extras that come with the other higher priced expansion packs, they hold no value to me, if they do to you that’s cool more power to you but they do nothing for me.

I can understand the strategy the marketing team are pulling here, but players aren’t that stupid to be pushed into the next bracket of expansion pack anymore. Quite frankly they should have known from previous game releases, expansion packs and DLC releases how the community would react.
I will say that there is a lot of over-reaction in the community but there is still a valid reason for the size of this issue.
I played a lot of time in recent months preparing for the expansion including spending money on gems etc, however this incident has soured my enthusiasm to even log in now, it even scares me that the expansion will be a flop due to lack of relevant information presented to date.
I hope things change very soon for both me and ArenaNet, for now I will support the “Do not pre purchase HoT” movement until ArenaNet show some sort of reasonable information.

Posted by: multiplicity.4385

multiplicity.4385

The value is not worth it, and HoT is definitely not a full game. Using the model of what current PC games go for at release is not accurate.

Example: Buying Mass Effect 3 at $20, and then having to buy Citadel DLC and Omega DLC would add up to $30 ($15 each) for a total of $50. Those two are DLC. Their combined story and extra goodies for the game totals out to the same we are expecting from HoT.

Now, HoT for old players is $50. That is the price of a fully-fleshed out core game, not a “DLC” (in this case, the term is expansion) which is what HoT is.

Posted by: Lampshade.7569

Lampshade.7569

“Don’t Pre-Purchase Heart of Thorns” has hit 2500 on reddit and this thread alone is 60 pages in under 24 hours. And yet, (unsurprisingly) total silence. This is how I imagine Anet HQ right now.

Attachments:

Posted by: Scoundrel.2139

Scoundrel.2139

$50 is a more than reasonable price for an expansion for a free game with no subscription fee. Most of us with brain stems were expecting something in the ball park of $40 anyway.

Nobody would complain if they weren’t giving an incentive to new players. As a vet, frankly I’ happy about this incentive. It should improve the game.

You’re getting guild halls, a new pvp mode, elite specializations, a new class, a new borderlands, new maps and god knows what else.

Anet’s only mistake with this was underestimating how many fairness queens are in its playerbase.

I love that what’s fair for you should be fair to all. This thread is to let players have a voice. If they feel cheated/left out, you really have no right to say they’re wrong. Just that you feel different.

I mean really? “Fairness queens”? :/

Veni, Vidi, Victa.
Quidquid Latine Dictum Sit, Altum Videtur

Posted by: GoldenSnake.5916

GoldenSnake.5916

Well, I was playing in GW1/GW2 for about 8-9 years, spent like 1000 $ or more on both.
But this time I’m not going to support you, ANet. You should rethink, and cut your prices, don’t be so greedy, ffs!

Posted by: Eagle.7208

Eagle.7208

Hi,

So.. Here we are at page 60, reply number 2943 (how did this even get this far). Not even a single serious response from Arena Net, the only thing one of the representatives had to say was “You Rang?” before he left the thread. Let me quickly sum up a few facts aswell as my opinion on this all.

To begin with the FAQ Ninja edit:

June 15th 2015 22:26:00 GMT

Original FAQ Cachec by google – Click me

Q: Do I have to own Guild Wars 2 to play the expansion?
A: Yes. Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns is an expansion to Guild Wars 2 and not a stand-alone campaign, and therefore it requires the base game to play.

On the editted version of the offical FAQ it now states:

Q: Do I have to own Guild Wars 2 to play the expansion?
A: Yes, but Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns includes the Guild Wars 2 core game.

As you can see, last minute decission they toss in the game free of charge, now I am “Ok” with the price, I suppose there are other game expansions with similair prices but what I do find offensive is that we do not get an additional character slot. The issue I have with that is as following:

I am buying the expansion for one single reason: To play Revenant, wether it will suck or not is a second. I do not have any available character slots, now you could say: “Hey go delete one of your nubs!” My answer to that is simpel: No. I did not level up that character, spent gold for it and most important spent gems to unlock bagspace on them simply to delete them to make a new account and spent more gems.

As many people before mentioned adjust your concept, you have shown us with the FAQ edit that last minute changes are nothing new for your company. We simply want to play the content we purchase.

Now I have a two suggestions, that I know off will make your playerbase happy again.

Suggestion A.
- Compensate everyone who pre-orders any pack with 1 additional character slot. Basic would get 1 character slot token, the deluxe and ultimate versions 2.

Suggestion B.
- Compensate everyone with 800 gems, gems are completely virtual, it will cost you NOTHING. (Yes people, I know gems are money but they are not making any costs, they are just earning less) 800 gems is sufficient for all players to decide wether they need a new account slot, or if they want to buy a new fancy outfit from the gemstore.

One other thing though and this might sound off topic, I am aware of conversion rates and taxes. But even doing the maths still it all won’t make sense. I’m not going mention that US customers get a bargain compared to EU customers (even though its true) but I do like to point out that you are currently letting your UK playerbase down. The UK is part of the same European Union and have the same tax regulations. For me as Dutch player, 21% tax applys. For a UK player the tax (A.k.a VAT is 20%)

That leaves the question:
Why do UK based players pay 111,52€ whilest the rest of the EU pays 100 flat rate?

If anyone has any answers to this, please enlighten me.

- Archi

(edited by Eagle.7208)

Posted by: Hiwi Kiwi.7386

Hiwi Kiwi.7386

“Don’t Pre-Purchase Heart of Thorns” has hit 2500 on reddit and this thread alone is 60 pages in under 24 hours. And yet, (unsurprisingly) total silence. This is how I imagine Anet HQ right now.

This.

" ’Cause in the end, all you really have are memories. "
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Cactus Brawler.7415

You do not get 2 codes, the free account vanishes forever the moment you apply your expac purchase to an existing account.

Thank you for the info. Now that I know that, I won’t be pre-ordering then, and will wait until there is a sale so I do not feel like they are ripping me off in exchange for me supporting them by buying their game.

Posted by: Castien.1872

Castien.1872

Since I no longer plan to get HoT at this point in time, I see no reason for me to continue to play GW2 at the moment. I stuck by you guys for a ton of years, while all of my friends bounced and went to other games. None understood why I kept playing GW1 at that time. I kept the faith even after my original account was hacked and I had to buy the trilogy again while everyone was telling me to join them in the various games they were playing at that time. I stuck by you guys through a ton of gripes that I won’t list here (I’m trying to keep this short).

I’m not saying I’m gone for good, but it’ll be a cold day down under before I pay 50 bucks for that expansion as is. And until I buy HoT, I see no reason to continue playing this game. I’ll holla when HoT no longer looks like a horrible purchase to me. I’m not paying 100 bucks just to feel like I’m actually getting my money’s worth and the base pre-order package ain’t worth 50 bucks in its current iteration. So… peace out for now.

Otokomae.9356

Imagine what it will be like on Friday, when they have to host a Live Twitch Stream, talking about how great the expansion is going to be…
http://www.twitch.tv/guildwars2/
12pm EST or 3pm PST

Posted by: Alicornus.7095

Alicornus.7095

I don’t really mind the pre-buy bonus as I’m no longer willing to pre-buy or pre-order anything by now, but what I do mind is the price tag of 50$. If this price would include a full fledged out campaign with a lot of well designed maps I would not mind paying that much, but so far I haven’t seen anything to convince me that we get more than season 3 of the living story taking place on very few maps and an exclusive part of a feature pack from the category ‘nice to have’.
I’m sorry, but that’s not enough for such a high price tag, especially without a free character slot.

Posted by: Zappix.7928

Zappix.7928

Why do UK based players pay 111,52€ whilest the rest of the EU pays 100 flat rate?

I have no idea, it could be our currency conversion currently to Euros.

It says that it costs £79.99 which translates to 111.5 Euros. If they charged us flat out 100 Euros they’d have to lower the £ cost which would make customers in Europe buy it in £’s rather than Euros.

We always get scammed in the UK, Australians also get scammed. Don’t worry too much about it.

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

The timing of this pre-purchase is pretty questionable. No release date and no final accounting of the expansion’s contents, that’s not what I consider a solid base from where to ask me to cough up money, regardless of the exact amount.

The announced packages don’t strike me as particularly attractive. No character slot on the standard edition, a deluxe edition that doesn’t seem to add much in the way of value and an ultimate edition that adds some cheap gems. The latter seems a good deal if you want gems (I don’t).

Presently, my interest in the game is at an all-time low. I’m 10-15 minutes a day (and not even every day) away from not playing at all anymore. This pre-purchase announcement does nothing to pique my interest. The only thing that can do that at the moment is an announcement stating exactly what’s in the expansion.

Posted by: Buran.3796

Buran.3796

i mean Guild wars 2 by far is the cheapest investment of MMOs… and In comparison to other forms of entertainment on the majority MMOs as a whole are cheaper, so i feel like u cant really accuse GW2 for ripping people off, they are charging u alot less.. for the exact same amount of stuff any other MMO generally delievers in expansions in todays prices.

Doesn’t really matters how GW2 fares against other games or entertainment products.

What truly matters is how the expansion fares against the current game. And for some people (including myself) HoT doesn’t provides too much value for the price. So I can stand without buying HoT for a long time, and later could pay for it at lower cost and also buy a slot for the star signature of the expansion (the new class).

Cactus Brawler.7415

It says that it costs £79.99 which translates to 111.5 Euros. If they charged us flat out 100 Euros they’d have to lower the £ cost which would make customers in Europe buy it in £’s rather than Euros.

We always get scammed in the UK, Australians also get scammed. Don’t worry too much about it.

We pay Tax up front in the UK, other countries get it added on afterwards.

Australians though just get scammed.

Posted by: MarySueLlama.8136

MarySueLlama.8136

My husband and I are absolutely not going to buy “HOT + the core game” if we have already been faithful GW2 players for 2 years, that is absolutely kitten ridiculous. Loyal fans are getting punished while noobs are getting their butts wiped for them? Talk about a huge turn-off. We certainly won’t buy anything else from this company.

Posted by: Eagle.7208

Eagle.7208

We pay Tax up front in the UK, other countries get it added on afterwards.

Australians though just get scammed.

Ehh, Sub-Total Incl. VAT €99,99 for me the VAT is included in the 100 Euro, and I pay 21% where the UK peeps pay 20%..

Posted by: Silent The Gray.3091

Silent The Gray.3091

I’ve followed Arenanet since GW1, and this is the most disappointing thing I’ve seen since the lack of promised content since release. You know, there are a lot of other gaming companies making MMO’s anymore and honestly with the way Arenanet is treating their veteran players I plan to move to other games and to urge everyone I know to do so as well, . The decisions that are being made from a business perspective are just plain stupid, I really wished this game could have become something cool as we were promised, but I just see an extremely negative downward spiral of false promises and under-delivering. You guys really blew it, good job.

Posted by: Felix.9170

Felix.9170

I was expecting to pay $50 for the expansion.
That the expansion includes the core game is annoying but an understandable marketing decision.
However, if I am going to spend $50 on an expansion it had better include character slots.
I have continued to pay regularly after repeated disappointments and the near total depopulation of my guild, due to migration to other games.
Perhaps it is time to get out now.

Posted by: Zappix.7928

Zappix.7928

I doubt they’re going to reverse this decision. They did make a flashy video announcing all this.

lel…

Posted by: HeliaXDemoN.1208

HeliaXDemoN.1208

Calm down people, in 2 years they will be solving this, like everything.

Posted by: Jornophelanthas.1475

Jornophelanthas.1475

I think this person nailed it:

Just give a choice: extra slot or base game
Seems like a simple solution. I’d happily pay $50 for expansion +1 slot as a vet. A new player gets great value by getting the base + HoT and has 5 empty slots to work with. But let me choose!

Personally, I will get the ultimate because I’ve gotten far more than $50 of value out of the game over the years and I have no problem giving ANet my $. But I think they’d quickly quell the concerns of the masses with the above solution.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/hot/Just-give-a-choice-extra-slot-or-base-game/first#post5164506

Posted by: TrcyMcgrdy.2317

TrcyMcgrdy.2317

see i dont see that as a issue myself, because we havnt actually seen all of the new expansion, just highlights of the different things coming into the game overall, we havnt been shown anything which would actually say exactly how much content ur buying into.

Once those who have insta-purchased go into Betas i think u’ll see a Proper sight of what your really getting, so i feel that content level isnt shown enough to know what your getting into, and yes paying into something that u dont know is a risk.

but WoW among many others do the exact same thing with even less information on what you pay for, as far as i understand those in the inital game were in the exact same placement

but when it comes to really battleing weather the expansion is overpriced for the Length and entertainment of what is. in GW2 as it has no sub model u have no additional charges, which ofcourse will make the expansions more expensive, its their one ensured profit… they have nothing else which would force players to pay into the game… so u have to see that side of it.

over Three years.

WoW – £9.99 a month + £40 a Year… 120+120 = £240x3 for 3 years.

Wildstar £40 (no Expansions were released) + £9 = 108 + 40 = £148x3.

Now to run into F2P games

EQ2 – Paying for classes = £20 each, (2 classes atm) Races = £10 fdor vampire and £20-£40 for Drakken so £40 minimum so far.. Mercs require Payment of £10, Reforging = £10 now £60

Sub isnt required but u lose out on a few things not having it… so to Benefit 100% of what they can offer due to locks on exp weekends etc etc u’d have to pay. + £34 per expansion..

Thats coming to like £100 to access everything + £9

i mean Guild wars 2 by far is the cheapest investment of MMOs… and In comparison to other forms of entertainment on the majority MMOs as a whole are cheaper, so i feel like u cant really accuse GW2 for ripping people off, they are charging u alot less.. for the exact same amount of stuff any other MMO generally delievers in expansions in todays prices.

The issue here is not the three year vets alone. People who bought this game a few months ago befor eknowing anything about HOT, or people who bought it sooner, and expected, as most MMO’s do, to buy the original copy, and then then having to buy the expansion can be upset.

The issue on knowing whether or not there is a lot of content on HOT is also a big issue. I don’t agree with the massive complaining going on here, but what do you think these forums are? I would rather just have people not buy the game, and let the numbers show ANET what is up when they see a massive underwhelming prepurchases.

I will say I find it smarter to hold onto your 50 bucks until you know what is actually included in HOT, rather than throwing 50 bucks blindly, but to each their own. What irks me the most is the people who bought HOT already, maybe even the ultimate version, then come on here to explain how it is worth it while, at the exact same time, telling people that the value of the expansion is different for everyone. Hypocritical as fark. If you TRULY loved this and were more than happy about buying HOT, you wouldn’t be coming here trying to justify the price.

WOW, and most other MMORPG’s let you know what new dungeons, raids, and content is being thrown your way. Just because we don’t pay a monthly fee does not mean we don’t deserve to get more complete detail on what we are purchasing.