HoT: Waste of Money and Time

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Xoei.1597

Xoei.1597

You basically pay for the right to farm for the content you thought you were paying for.

Pretty much this. And seeing as I don’t have the patience nor time to farm for Hero Points, nothing has changed for me. All my toons are the same builds, and I feel like I am playing GW2 just the same as I did before HoT. Past expansions weren’t perfect, and thus forgivable, because they all came out free. I expected more of a gratification factor for all types of players considering this was supposed to be: 1) The biggest, most hyped expansion to date, that you also had to pay for. 2) ANet has stated multiple times that they are trying to be different and not make the game a grind. 3) From the what I saw from all the game play footage, it seemed as though everyone would be able to keep their toons as normal, but have the added benefit of being able to use 1 more weapon. I really didn’t expect to have to pay and then grind to get that privilege. Maybe it would have been forgivable had they made it a little easier to obtain. 400 HP too unlock everything is asking a little too much in my opinion.

Posted by: Neilos Tyrhanos.5427

Neilos Tyrhanos.5427

Oh, for… you have to play the game to unlock stuff. That’s been the case in every game ever made.

Posted by: Diva.4706

Diva.4706

First time I quit an MMO on expansion launch day. Refund pending….

Posted by: SamTheGuardian.2938

SamTheGuardian.2938

Had I known that after purchasing HoT you wouldn’t even get the full experience due to locks on mastery skills and what have you, I would have never purchased it. I really don’t want to have to horde Hero Points. I was really expecting to be able to use the new content right off the bat, considering I spent a considerable amount of money on the expansion. When I logged on and saw that I still couldn’t use any of the new weapons for any of my classes, then noticed that you have to grind Hero Points to gain access to such feature, I immediately felt that I just wasted money on something for nothing. Especially since I am a casual player. Sorry, but it’s just not the right thing to do in my opinion, and I feel like I have to rant about it. If you’re going to lock the content, at least make it easier to access.

I don’t understand post like these. You REALLY expected to be able to enjoy the game with your Elite Specialization? You should have known they put all that work and advertising into showing you the new class play mechanics you would have able to have AT THE END of Heart of Thorns. If that seems kitten-backwards, then you just don’t understand good game design. You should have known they were going to reward players who grinded map completion on every character and only those players would be able to experience most of HoT with their Elite Specialization.

Poor kitten, you should have known ArenaNet is not a company you can trust to hold to the tenants of the manifesto they sold is back in 2012, after all that was 2012 and this is 2015. They figured out kittening on the casual player and designing a game for the hardcore, love-to-grind crowd is what keeps players going to the cash shop and flushes out the ones who paid the one time fee believing the utopian dream of “free to play”. They are after all a company in business to make as much money as possible not a company trying to deliver the best MMO experience eon the market. They certainly are not doing the causal players any favors at all.

That’s my take on it anyway. Yes the whole thing is kitten

(edited by SamTheGuardian.2938)

Posted by: Zylonite.5913

Zylonite.5913

Haven’t played HoT yet and probably never will, but Destiny had the right idea for an expansion in the taken king when introducing the new specializations. You basically do the new story mission and after the third or forth quest, you unlock the new specialization. Not a big fan of Destiny and not defending the game but at least they managed to do that right. GW2 on the other hand is a much bigger MMO and needs to hide it’s lack of content behind it’s grind.

Betrayed by the gods of ANet

Posted by: Cormac.3871

Cormac.3871

Had I known that after purchasing HoT you wouldn’t even get the full experience due to locks on mastery skills and what have you, I would have never purchased it.

I wonder if anyone ever writes on WoW forums that they wouldn’t have bought the expansion if they had known they wouldn’t be able to play at the new top level right away.

No, what WoW did is called progression. Quests and an actual sense of you know, progressing. The new elite specs in GW2 do not improve your character in any way as they are balanced to be equal to the rest of the class, and are intended to be an expansion on to an existing platform. Its not the same.

You’re right, it isn’t the same. That’s why it was called “Horizontal Progression”.

Posted by: TomGod.6014

TomGod.6014

I agree with the waste of time title but not for the same reasons. I was extremely disappointed with the there (Albiet awesomely structured) maps. I was expecting the entire of maguma forests and wastes to become available for a larger exploring experience, something akin to the guild wars expansions. Factions and Nightfall were huge and with so much end game content I was constantly finding new things to do. Yet I was severely disappointed on the realisation that these expansions were only going to be small and direct story with little end game.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I’m totaly agree with the author!

Classic GW2 – it’s a realy good game. But HoT – just terrible. for the same money I could buy new fallout and a half of witcher! But i spend it for HoT.
AND WHAT I GOT?
I’m even cant get new specializations, beacause i never liked jumping puzzles – so this crazy new maps just… unplayable for me.
I’m still sit in LA with my old build! I got nothin! even more than nothin – I got a headache. I want try new builds in a fractal, but i cant! I dont understand why.
Why annet force me to do stupid jumping puzzles. I just want play NORMAL PvE and PvP.
HoT – real waste of money…

If you’re on a US server, message me. I’ll show you how to unlock the elite specialization. It won’t take nearly as long as you think, particularly if you have some hero points in core Tyria already.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Classic GW2 – it’s a realy good game. But HoT – just terrible. for the same money I could buy new fallout and a half of witcher! But i spend it for HoT.
AND WHAT I GOT?
I’m even cant get new specializations, beacause i never liked jumping puzzles – so this crazy new maps just… unplayable for me.
I’m still sit in LA with my old build! I got nothin! even more than nothin – I got a headache. I want try new builds in a fractal, but i cant! I dont understand why.
Why annet force me to do stupid jumping puzzles. I just want play NORMAL PvE and PvP.

If you’re on a US server, message me. I’ll show you how to unlock the elite specialization. It won’t take nearly as long as you think, particularly if you have some hero points in core Tyria already.

They likely already unlocked it. The person above you necro’d the thread.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

AND WHAT I GOT?

They likely already unlocked it. The person above you necro’d the thread.

Well if they haven’t the offer stands. Thanks for pointing this out though. It’s early morning. I haven’t had my coffee yet.

Posted by: Khyan.7039

Khyan.7039

AND WHAT I GOT?

took me 2 days of casual playing to unlock all the elite spe for my ele… with only a few hero points from core tyria. Simple : Rush dragon stand and do all the hero points here, and then do the easiest soloable one from others maps.
Vayne is right, it’s easy if you already have done them with your main…
But well I guess the thread is 3-4 months ago and elite spe wasn’t nerfed.