HoT has changed gw2 community

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: xarallei.4279

xarallei.4279

If you want to advocate a legendary armor set that is not bound to raids but through some other collection then go for it. But it should have a completely different skin from the set in raids. Oh and it still should not be buyable. It should still be something you earn in game though through non-raiding activities. Anet is not going to go back to the boe legendaries, they’ve already recognized that that was the wrong move.

(edited by xarallei.4279)

Posted by: Torolan.5816

Torolan.5816

I would be more than ok with it being not buyable and would also not care if it is a different skin. If I was able to see a legendary as a skin only anyway, we would not even have this conversation right now.^^

Posted by: Aenesthesia.1697

Aenesthesia.1697

HOT didn’t change anything. It just shone a light on what was already there.

Griefers? ditto.

Elitists? ditto (well, they were actually being elitist before… yes, elitist in a game you can aa everything).

Bad players that refuse to adapt to the content that’s thrown at them? ditto.

BTW, why couldn’t you and the thief just refuge of shadows and commune with the hp? i did it with my thief on the balthazar hp and it worked wonders.

Posted by: VaLee.5102

VaLee.5102

its very true. in really, its a social/political fact, more hostile enviroment == more hostile ppl.

Pretty much this.

People don’t help other people in HoT because now there’s a risk they might get screwed themselves.
Why should I try to res you and risk getting roflstomped by that champ when I could aswell run past you both and mind my own business?
And can you blame me?

Posted by: NewTrain.7549

NewTrain.7549

You can buy an exact copy of the world championship trophy. It has the same value and function(standing around) as the original, it just lacks the prestige of the original.

No, it actually doesn’t have the same value. I’d invite you to look at the few Olympic medals or championship trophies that have been sold and compare those prices to replicas. Not the same in the least.

Posted by: RustyMech.9876

RustyMech.9876

This so much. I help people in TD daily, once most people learn how to navigate the map they love it. There are some folks that would rather put effort into their cries for nerfs and such, then into the game itself.

Posted by: Pretty Pixie.8603

Pretty Pixie.8603

a promise to not invalidate our hard worked for gear at 16.40.
no new gear tiers would be added.
then they add a new tier of armor and lock most players out of it.
Its the lies from anet and the excuses they make to cover them up that is tearing this community apart.

Anet would tell you that they didn’t add a new tier, since Legendary was already in the game. Instead they took away your guild utilities and gated them heavily behind gold and time.

Relentless Inquisition [PAIN] – FA

Posted by: Torolan.5816

Torolan.5816

You can buy an exact copy of the world championship trophy. It has the same value and function(standing around) as the original, it just lacks the prestige of the original.

No, it actually doesn’t have the same value. I’d invite you to look at the few Olympic medals or championship trophies that have been sold and compare those prices to replicas. Not the same in the least.

They have the same value, you pay for the prestige of the original. But you are right in a way, I should have used the word properties instead of value.

Posted by: Tiger Ashante.1792

Tiger Ashante.1792

Griefers? ditto.

Elitists? ditto (well, they were actually being elitist before… yes, elitist in a game you can aa everything).

BTW, why couldn’t you and the thief just refuge of shadows and commune with the hp? i did it with my thief on the balthazar hp and it worked wonders.

If you read my OP you would have seen i said i was already dead by the time any help arrived, i stayed alive as long as i could kiting the mobs, but they finally got me. The thief used shadow refuge to try rez me, he got me about a 1/3 up b4 it ran out and he had to runaway himself.

Posted by: kolompi.1287

kolompi.1287

Take a look at the DS meta “afterparty” when everyone is off running after those (ob)noxious pods and hero points and so on.

It’s like a herd of cows trampling over each other. And you cannot blame people for doing so, the design of the map encourages (enforces) this behaviour. You cannot spend time helping others or ressing or you won’t be able to open as many pods as you could otherwise.

After spending over an hour doing the meta, people want their pods and there is no time to kill mobs, it’s that simple. This doesn’t mean that the community has changed just that the same person who would go out of their way to help you in a regular map, is completely tunnelvisioned to run after pods.

xarallei.4279

Idk…today I ran to spider queen on my alt. There weren’t very many there but I managed to run around and finally get the hp. Then I proceeded to distract all the spiders while other people got their hp. Then we finally had enough and decided we would kill the kitten thing. People do help. It just depends on whether you get a map with helpful people or not. That’s life. You meet lots of people, some are nice and some aren’t.

Posted by: Crossaber.8934

Crossaber.8934

When there are exclusive items gated behind hardcore gameplay. It is no longer the same GW2 anymore. When legendary item can still be obtained through casual playing.There are still light of hope for casual gamer like me to follow. Slowly gather gold for a precursor from TP, thats fine.

Join a raid require 2 or 3 hrs continuious game play it is really not affortable for many players that got a family to run. To finish my rev legging require golem mark 2, already took me days in order to crash his spawn time with my short daily gaming schedule. I don’t understand games wants players to sit in front of a computer for couple hours a day, this is no longer a game seriously.

Posted by: draugris.9872

draugris.9872

Today. However Legendary is promised to be the best tier tomorrow, while ascended isn’t.

This is your personal assumption and pure speculation. There are no official statements whatsoever about making legendary armor / weapons better statswise.

Mondsucht [MS] – Kodash

Posted by: pepsis.5384

pepsis.5384

OP said: " and then i’ll never go back to those places again, "

Great job devs, make content that frustrates 90% of the people who play it and makes them determined to never do it again which in itself ensures any new players who attempt it are also bound to be frustrated. Stupid design. Better hope those organized, elite guilds are frequent gem buyers.

(edited by pepsis.5384)

Posted by: pepsis.5384

pepsis.5384

I don’t understand games wants players to sit in front of a computer for couple hours a day, this is no longer a game seriously.

Amen to that

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

I mentioned it before somewhere.

The original Guild Wars gives a warning when you’ve played for 2 hours straight.

Now, in HoT, 2 hours straight is the bare minimum for full participation in a meta event cycle.

It boggles the mind that these were produced by the same company.

Posted by: Tapioca.9062

Tapioca.9062

The original Guild Wars gives a warning when you’ve played for 2 hours straight.

Now, in HoT, 2 hours straight is the bare minimum for full participation in a meta event cycle.

What I love is that they broke up Fractals on the rationale that the former structure required too much time investment and that wasn’t okay. Then they throw out the two hour long meta-event cycles. Why does it feel like Anet’s development team is never on the same page?

Posted by: Kerin.9125

Kerin.9125

What I love is that they broke up Fractals on the rationale that the former structure required too much time investment and that wasn’t okay. Then they throw out the two hour long meta-event cycles. Why does it feel like Anet’s development team is never on the same page?

Given many of the devs of the original game don’t work for Anet any more, is it really a surprise the replacements have come in and done the content they liked, which clearly was WOW-like iLevel gear raid grinding.

Posted by: Crossaber.8934

Crossaber.8934

HoT is fun, if the meta event is not as long as currently (silverwaste meta event was perfect, roughly 1 hour). Who is to blame? The game require you to sit couple hours a day or the gamers that rush through contents like cutting cookies, wasting 5+/24 hours per day and claimed that a game has no contents.

It is a mistake the company listen to them and make such a turn in crazy game direction.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Not that this makes it less ironic, but it is 1 hour, not 2 —- iirc.

Posted by: Hume.2876

Hume.2876

HoT has changed the community because GW2 has doubled the playing base temporarily (it’s likely sliding back down now). I have noticed a lot of players playing who didn’t really like the game. Way more griping and longing to play different games and such..

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

So you are saying you support p2w basically.

Win what? Fun and enjoyment? Is that so much worse than having those two things limited to only a minority for some arbitrary reasons?

Today. However Legendary is promised to be the best tier tomorrow, while ascended isn’t.

This is your personal assumption and pure speculation. There are no official statements whatsoever about making legendary armor / weapons better statswise.

There are however statements that legendaries will be bumped up a tier when (when, not if) next gear tier will come. And ascended will remain ascended.

And if you think that we really were promised that there will be no new tiers after ascended, i’m sorry to disappoint you – Anet didn’t made any longterm promises. Only thing they did promise was not to add new tiers/increase level cap in HoT.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

(edited by Astralporing.1957)

xarallei.4279

P2w? Yes that is worse. That’s just about the worst thing that can happen to a game. There is a reason why that’s not popular with western gamers.

Posted by: Chrono.6928

Chrono.6928

Remember when GW2 had pages of positive feedback and praises?

Pepperidge farm remembers.

oh you mean the manifesto? Yep fun times.

xarallei.4279

Actually Colin has said that ascended is never going to be replaced. He’s made these comments in several interviews. Here’s one off the top of my head:
https://youtu.be/gIJeblpbcr8

At around the 8:30 mark of the video. And like I said, this isn’t the only time. He’s said it multiple times. In fact, his statements are the whole reason why I bothered to make ascended gear to begin with. I was always paranoid of it being replaced and felt that it wasn’t worth the cost of making it. After he made his statements saying ascended is the final tier I decided I’d suck it up and craft my gear since it won’t be replaced. Hopefully. O_O

edit: Oh and this statement:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Ascended-Gear-Anet-please-fix-this/first#post5173842

Notice he doesn’t say anything about this being the case for HoT only. There is no qualifier. He outright says more tiers of gear is not what GW2 is about.

(edited by xarallei.4279)

Posted by: Chrono.6928

Chrono.6928

Posted by: Turin.6921

Turin.6921

I finished all maps without the layline mastery. Not sure what community you are in but 8/10 times there where always people around to help and even mesmers to give portal for the unaccessible HPs. There where people that would even repeat the same HP 2-3 time straight because someone never got it.

It needs a bit of more patience because the maps are large and can easily distract people but people are still helping each other as much as usual.

Posted by: Aye.8392

Aye.8392

If you haven’t already gotten the HP you are talking about try this: Instead of asking for help getting the Hero Point offer help go get it. “I’m leading a group for the Spider Queen HP, join if you need it!”

People like me who haven’t played the map much, who don’t already have the HP, who aren’t familiar with the map probably won’t answer a call for help — it wouldn’t be because I don’t care, it would be because I don’t feel capable. But, if all you need is warm bodies or people to take aggro then leading a group is perfect to get it done. It lets the vets do chest runs in the 15 mins after the meta and it helps others, just like you, who don’t have the HP yet.

www.AlchemyIncorporated.net
Sorrows Furnace

Posted by: TheLastNobody.8319

TheLastNobody.8319

I swear, putting ascended and raid together in the same sentence was the worst thing they ever did…

A knight in shining armor is a man who never had his metal truly tested.

(edited by TheLastNobody.8319)

Posted by: kuritsutian.2987

kuritsutian.2987

Suddenly in the Forums Everyone is now a Game designer!

Posted by: Harbinger.5129

Harbinger.5129

HoT intermittent message is “You must press on”. If you dare not to obey, it’s likely the map will literally devour you. HoT is not like Kessex Hills, for instance, where you do things on your own pace, like fight some mobs here, do some events there, stand still watching an asura trying to bribe a quaggan to gather info about what happened to the nightmare tower, or a centaur telling (probably lying) that her tribe didn’t steal anything from the Lion Company…

What I recommend the OP and everyone else who’s facing the same issue to do:

1) play the meta and go with the flow. There are frequent pauses, and lots of people take those chances to work on personal things, like HPs, vista, etc, returning afterwards to their previous activities on the map, instead of simply leaving for the next personal stuff. Play the meta many times till you’ve covered all paths/lanes.

2) if the map seems to be empty, try the map chat. If no one answers, try your guild and/or LFG. There are many times in which people are there, but they CANNOT help, simply because they don’t have required masteries, or they are just exploring on their own and don’t have a clue on what you’re talking about – or, believe me, they are too scared with the whole environment to think rationally.

Keep in mind that just because someone is in HoT, it doesn’t mean that they really know how it (HoT or even the core game) works: I keep seeing bearbows knockbacking mobs that are standing on damage fields or already being fought by melee players; People fighting mobs (that are supposedly Armors job) during Tarir, instead of focusing on the octovines, aggroing those mobs to the zerg, making a hard time for everyone; People being AFK in the middle of decisive fights; Instead of dodging on 3 when you see that AoE on the ground while fighting the Exalted Traitor, people don’t move out, die and the worst: they don’t WP back to return and help those who are still standing; People dying near uncontested WPs on DS, not WP-ing back, waiting for someone to rez them, among many other things I would spend a whole day typing here.

Posted by: Tumult.2578

Tumult.2578

That makes a world of sense. Thanks for the help and motivation. I do have trouble getting motivated to commit the extended time needed to get such lackluster rewards. There isn’t even mats of significance proportion to hold interest between fights. Running through mobs is not my favourite activity but zerg , run, or die (likely without a rez). That is a big concern.
Dying in HoT is not like yelling in map chat “I’m a bad player. Don’t rez me!” But it’s starting to feel more that way.
I’m still completing maps and enjoy much of it. There are lots of nice and helpful players. It’s just that the design kind of allows players to feel justified in treating other players as inferior, or enemies, even though Hot is basically PvE.
I look at that mastery number by a players name and see only accomplishment but I suspect more players are looking at it as a gauge of ability, and I’d rather have it removed than become a gauge.

Posted by: Silent The Gray.3091

Silent The Gray.3091

Since launch, GW2 prided itself as having one of the best, if not the best community of any MMO and rightly so. Always friendly, helpful and more than willing to assist those in need

Featuring: "
-Full zerk or GTfO!
-LFG: no necros or rangers!
-Link gear on join!
-Know how to stealth skip 90% of the dungeon!
-5k AP or GTfO!
-Nothing but constant complaining on the forum since the release of the game.
-“Play something other than DD ele / Burn GRD skill-less n00b”!

DD ele actually requires some skill because you need to manage your utilities, all those CD’s, and make snap judgments on when to switch attunements like water. Even the autoattacks have a slight charge to them.

What’s wrong with asking for people to know how to stealth skip? If they don’t know then they can be told when. Yeah the full zerk is a bit silly but if that’s what the leader is looking for it has to be respected. As for no rangers…yeah Pet AI can screw up strategies and mechanics but druid is one of if not the best class because it has so much condition removal, healing, long ranged attacks, and pets on top of that.

Zerker I think was intended to be a PvP or WvW niche assassin that required teamspeak to be viable, but due to poor AI and rotations would up being the dungeon meta. Dungeon bosses traditionally hit very hard which is why tanks traditionally were needed. Some big thing with millions of HP that can two or one shot glass cannons and immune to CC demands a different statset from fighting other players. Since Guild Wars 2 has no hard trinity players were assumed to take some vitality and toughness to account for how hard bosses are supposed to hit, you only have two dodges so you should be guaranteed to eat some damage but save dodges for when it really counts.

Every class has their “cheese” build. People can hate on it all that they want, but every class has one, there is no exception. Also Raids are going to have to be flexible with what can go or people who don’t play Revenant, Mesmer, or Engi will just quit trying to do them altogether. Anet needs to figure out how to maintain the challenge of Raiding, while allowing other classes other than the devout holy trinity to be able to play it as effectively as those 3. And Dungeons in this game have always been about “how fast can we do this?” there needs to be more methods for slowing people down, making them play through everything.