In Denial Over Trahearne...*spoilers*

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Mordeus.1234

Mordeus.1234

I was somewhat weirded-out by the whole Eir deal during LWS3.

Like… Trahearne was 100x more important than Eir during both the main story and HoT, yet we hear like one line of dialogue about Trahearne, yet have a whole mission dedicated to remembering Eir.

I’ll admit she was a large part of the Norn personal story, but for every other race it just doesn’t make any sense.

Trahearne’s importance is based around the existence of the Pact and the uniting of Tyria against the Elder Dragons. However without Eir none of that would have been possible. For she was the one who formed Destiny’s Edge and was their leader. People believe that Rytlock or Logan are more important than Eir, but she was their ‘boss’ and the one who saved them from a life of fighting in arena fights.

Without Eir showing Tyria that the five races could work together to defeat the Elder Dragons, Trahearne would not have been able to do the same via the Pact.

Trahearne was pretty much a general, but Eir was a legendary warrior and unifier. Not to mention that on a personal level she means more to the game’s main characters than Trahearne, who really only forged a close bond with the player.

The game didn’t do a great job of showing the importance of Eir but GW2 is founded on her actions.

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

I’m glad someone is enjoying the lore.

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

Posted by: anninke.7469

anninke.7469

Trahearne’s importance is based around the existence of the Pact and the uniting of Tyria against the Elder Dragons. However without Eir none of that would have been possible. For she was the one who formed Destiny’s Edge and was their leader. People believe that Rytlock or Logan are more important than Eir, but she was their ‘boss’ and the one who saved them from a life of fighting in arena fights.

Without Eir showing Tyria that the five races could work together to defeat the Elder Dragons, Trahearne would not have been able to do the same via the Pact.

Trahearne was pretty much a general, but Eir was a legendary warrior and unifier. Not to mention that on a personal level she means more to the game’s main characters than Trahearne, who really only forged a close bond with the player.

The game didn’t do a great job of showing the importance of Eir but GW2 is founded on her actions.

But her legendary deeds alone can’t make her the PC’s close friend, which she’s apparently supposed to be and which has been stated to be (important one of) the reason(s) why we go to her funeral.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

I’d really like to know how many people actually really dislike him

I actively disliked (hate is such a strong word) Trahearne before it was cool to do so.

Posted by: AriaFiresong.7023

AriaFiresong.7023

I liked Trahearne. And being forced to attend a funeral for Eir and pretend to be all soppy about her and him getting barely a passing mention? Quite a bit insulting. The Court probably did more to mourn their Grand Duchess than we could give the First of the Firstborn, Marshal of the Pact and Cleanser of Orr.

Tbh, I wish we could choose to either attend a memorial for Eir or one for Trahearne.

(I’d totally go to a memorial for Faolain if I could, though, tbh.)

anninke.7469

I’d really like to know how many people actually really dislike him

I actively disliked (hate is such a strong word) Trahearne before it was cool to do so.

OK, thanks. Way to start my statistic

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

Like… Trahearne was 100x more important than Eir during both the main story and HoT, yet we hear like one line of dialogue about Trahearne, yet have a whole mission dedicated to remembering Eir.

I’ll admit she was a large part of the Norn personal story, but for every other race it just doesn’t make any sense.

Destiny’s Edge was largely useless, though. Rytlock may have had a bit of importance after becoming a Revenant, but prior to that, DE was a waste of space in the story. They failed to kill one dragon, sat through another getting killed, and were too sick to fight the third so far. And now they’re done.

Posted by: Mitch.4781

Mitch.4781

Lets face it..nearly every single one of these characters in either destinys edge or the new crew – what ever the hell they are called – are hardly classic characters. Even by video Game standards. Particularly risible are Kasmeer and Marjory and their forced and totally unconvincing “relationship”. Probably the only two characters with any depth of note are coincidentaly Asurans. Both Zoja and Taimi have more personality and seem much more believable. Even though I dislike the personality and her precocious nature, Taimi knocks spots off the others for her characterisation.

Rytlock could also have been interesting but the teen mag style writing he is lumbered with relegates him to the forgettable pile too. I will never forget the ludicrous cop out in HOT when asked how he got to be a REV and the simple answer was, no time to discuss that now. It was absurd and proved to me that the writers didn’t really have an idea of how to explain it.

The rest are totally forgettable. Iv’e said it before and I’ll say it again; ANet could do worse than look at how Bioware creates characters that we do have a connection with, because the hollow husk they are currently pushing as our band of friends, don’t cut it.

(edited by Mitch.4781)

Posted by: Glenstorm.4059

Glenstorm.4059

This.

People love to hate on Trahearne, but IMO he was a good character. He did kind of appear out of nowhere for me as a Human character, but I loved his progression from reluctant solitary scholar to respected leader of the Pact, and the culmination of his Wyld Hunt (the cleansing of Orr) was more emotionally compelling to me than Zhaitan’s death was. The fact that Trahearne’s corruption and death was barely mentioned doesn’t sit well with me either. At least Eir went quickly…

Fear the might of SHATTERSTONE.

Posted by: Glenstorm.4059

Glenstorm.4059

Lets face it..nearly every single one of these characters in either destinys edge or the new crew – what ever the hell they are called – are hardly classic characters. Even by video Game standards. Particularly risible are Kasmeer and Marjory and their forced and totally unconvincing “relationship”. Probably the only two characters with any depth of note are coincidentaly Asurans. Both Zoja and Taimi have more personality and seem much more believable. Even though I dislike the personality and her precocious nature, Taimi knocks spots off the others for her characterisation.

Rytlock could also have been interesting but the teen mag style writing he is lumbered with relegates him to the forgettable pile too. I will never forget the ludicrous cop out in HOT when asked how he got to be a REV and the simple answer was, no time to discuss that now. It was absurd and proved to me that the writers didn’t really have an idea of how to explain it.

The rest are totally forgettable. Iv’e said it before and I’ll say it again; ANet could do worse than look at how Bioware creates characters that we do have a connection with, because the hollow husk they are currently pushing as our band of friends, don’t cut it.

The Secret World IMO has some of the best writing in MMOs. Totally different setting, but the dialog in both cutscenes and in the open world is just phenomenal.

Fear the might of SHATTERSTONE.

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

[quote=6293292;Tars.6804:]

Posted by: trub.1657

trub.1657

I liked Trahearne, his speaking manner was impeccable..remember ‘Clawr island’?
He was that Sylvari we loved to dislike- the photo bomb king, the fame snatcher, disillusioned, can’t fight worth crud… Pact leader.
I MISS HIM!!

I have Splinter Barrage- I am a Ritualist.
I have a pet- I am a Ranger.
I have Avatar of Balthazar- I am a Dervish.

Posted by: Tars.6804

Tars.6804

I loved his voice. It was deep, calm, and soothing amidst the chaos, calamity, and death in the struggle. He was somewhat of a salve, yet a beacon of hope for Tyria – and for me.

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

Coming soon to a Living Story near you…

The following preview has been approved for ALL audiences.

Living Story 4: The Search for Trahearne

Marjory: Say, Rytlock, have you noticed how <character name>, my rock, as it were, has been mumbling about climbing the limbs of the Pale Tree?

Rytlock: Yeah. And when I saved the Pact leaders from that centaur army the other day all by myself, they gave <character name> a medal for it. (growl) I don’t have time for this.

Kimberly (passing by): Ain’t nobody got time for that!

<Character name>: Oh, hey Rytlock. Is that a splinter in your pore?

Rytlock: Hah?

<Character name>: I thought I sore a splinter in your pore. I was going to offer to extract it using an ages old technique perfected in Orr, like, ages ago, or whatever, when So and So Whatshisname was King and the realm was suffering from a surfeit of feral pomegranates blah blah blah…

Marjory and Rytlock: This won’t end well.

Later…

Pale Tree: While you were in the Dream battling Mordremoth, Trahearne planted his síolanam — the seed of his soul, more or less — in this one’s mind. All that he was is contained within. Bring me Trahearne’s heartwood, and he can be restored.

Braham: What about <character name>? Marjory’s rock?

Pale Tree: Who? Oh, the síolanam vessel. There may be some slight crossover contamination, but don’t worry, it will wear off soon and Trahearne will be just fine.

<Character name>: You take point.
The table is a fable.

Tars.6804

Marjory: Say, Rytlock, have you noticed how <character name>, my rock, as it were, has been mumbling about climbing the limbs of the Pale Tree?

Rytlock: Yeah. And when I saved the Pact leaders from that centaur army the other day all by myself, they gave <character name> a medal for it. (growl) I don’t have time for this.

Kimberly (passing by): Ain’t nobody got time for that!

<Character name>: Oh, hey Rytlock. Is that a splinter in your pore?

Rytlock: Hah?

<Character name>: I thought I sore a splinter in your pore. I was going to offer to extract it using an ages old technique perfected in Orr, like, ages ago, or whatever, when So and So Whatshisname was King and the realm was suffering from a surfeit of feral pomegranates blah blah blah…

Marjory and Rytlock: This won’t end well.

Later…

Pale Tree: While you were in the Dream battling Mordremoth, Trahearne planted his síolanam — the seed of his soul, more or less — in this one’s mind. All that he was is contained within. Bring me Trahearne’s heartwood, and he can be restored.

Braham: What about <character name>? Marjory’s rock?

Pale Tree: Who? Oh, the síolanam vessel. There may be some slight crossover contamination, but don’t worry, it will wear off soon and Trahearne will be just fine.

<Character name>: You take point.

Love it. You should write it. Like, in a book.

Posted by: FrostSpectre.4198

FrostSpectre.4198

I think Trahearne’s body disintegrated into magical energy when he was mercy killed in the end.

Tho that doesn’t mean that there wouldn’t be military funeral procedures, which can be done with even small bits if full body couldn’t be recovered…

I’m a casual PvE adventurer, I enjoy combat, adventure and helping, but not farming.
I rarely do PvP or Hard PvE, unless it’s organized.

Posted by: trub.1657

trub.1657

LOL
Live long and prosper.

I have Splinter Barrage- I am a Ritualist.
I have a pet- I am a Ranger.
I have Avatar of Balthazar- I am a Dervish.

Posted by: Balraw.3196

Balraw.3196

Honestly I was more upset about Scruffy sacrificing himself to open a door than either Trehearne or Eir dying. I mean when he paused then Taimi told him she would be ok and briefly touched him, man right in the feels.

I didn’t hate Trehearne or Eir but I never felt connected to them either even when I was playing my Norn or Sylvari heroes. Taimi and Scruffy though are just a special team no matter who you are

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Honestly I was more upset about Scruffy sacrificing himself to open a door than either Trehearne or Eir dying. I mean when he paused then Taimi told him she would be ok and briefly touched him, man right in the feels.

I didn’t hate Trehearne or Eir but I never felt connected to them either even when I was playing my Norn or Sylvari heroes. Taimi and Scruffy though are just a special team no matter who you are

Trehearne annoyed a lot of us into not caring. Pretty sure there were cheers from some when he died.
Eir’s death was just too sudden and lame. It shamed way Norn are perceived in lore. She got fridged so Braham would have something to do beyond being the dumb, male lump on the party.

Scruffy was a significant sacrifice for Taimi to make. He was her own work that she built to overcome her physical weakness, and losing that doubly hurt, especially when she was still stuck in hostile territory. Also, we’ve seen Taimi vulnerable before (an extra fist-shake to Phlunt, grr), and I think many of us were very reluctant to see her in that position again.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Tars.6804

Trehearne annoyed a lot of us into not caring. Pretty sure there were cheers from some when he died.
Eir’s death was just too sudden and lame. It shamed way Norn are perceived in lore. She got fridged so Braham would have something to do beyond being the dumb, male lump on the party.

Scruffy was a significant sacrifice for Taimi to make. He was her own work that she built to overcome her physical weakness, and losing that doubly hurt, especially when she was still stuck in hostile territory. Also, we’ve seen Taimi vulnerable before (an extra fist-shake to Phlunt, grr), and I think many of us were very reluctant to see her in that position again.

I totally get how you could feel more of a loss for one character than another; I mean, that happened to me. Of course, everyone bonded with someone different, because everyone is different. Again, to each his own.

Posted by: FLEUR.7458

FLEUR.7458

I didnt know anyone liked Trahearne, I was more than happy to put him (and I) out of our misery at the end of HoT

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Honestly I was more upset about Scruffy sacrificing himself to open a door…

I was disgusted by that scene.That scene implied, more than any other, that Scruffy was a sentient being. When he paused, he demonstrated that he wasn’t just a robot she controlled. He exhibited independent thought, he exhibited caring. And he was killed to open a door. That was the most callous scene I’ve seen in the game. I felt more humanity from Scruffy than Treh or Eir. [/rant]

EDIT: I’m assuming he exhibited caring, because that’s what the scene wants us to think. For all I know, he could have been thinking, “What the kitten?!? I don’t want to die! Curse you Taimi.” Still a sentient being either way.

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

I was disgusted by that scene.That scene implied, more than any other, that Scruffy was a sentient being. When he paused, he demonstrated that he wasn’t just a robot she controlled. He exhibited independent thought, he exhibited caring. And he was killed to open a door. That was the most callous scene I’ve seen in the game. I felt more humanity from Scruffy than Treh or Eir. [/rant]

EDIT: I’m assuming he exhibited caring, because that’s what the scene wants us to think. For all I know, he could have been thinking, “What the kitten?!? I don’t want to die! Curse you Taimi.” Still a sentient being either way.

One possibility: back in the 60s, DC comics introduced the Metal Men, sentient robot heroes that would get destroyed in pretty much every issue, but their creator, Doc Magnus, would salvage their ‘responsometers’ and rebuild them, and they’d carry on like it was nothing, good as new each time, without any loss of memory or function.

Maybe Scruffy is not dissimilar to them, in that he has some virtually indestructible component which houses his mind/soul/heart/what have you, so Taimi can keep rebuilding his physical body again and again, perhaps each time making him stronger, faster, better than he was before…

The table is a fable.

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

One possibility: back in the 60s, DC comics introduced the Metal Men, sentient robot heroes that would get destroyed in pretty much every issue, but their creator, Doc Magnus, would salvage their ‘responsometers’ and rebuild them, and they’d carry on like it was nothing, good as new each time, without any loss of memory or function.

Maybe Scruffy is not dissimilar to them, in that he has some virtually indestructible component which houses his mind/soul/heart/what have you, so Taimi can keep rebuilding his physical body again and again, perhaps each time making him stronger, faster, better than he was before…

I hope so. He’s a likeable character, even though (or maybe because) he says nothing.

Tars.6804

I hope so. He’s a likeable character, even though (or maybe because) he says nothing.

Yeah, that really was a sad scene. I liked Scruffy as well and hope he can come back – for Taimi’s sake too.

Posted by: AriaFiresong.7023

AriaFiresong.7023

If we’re gonna be sad about the golems, let’s not forget Mr. Sparkles. Nobody mentions him much.

Posted by: Kossage.9072

Kossage.9072

Although I was sad to see Trahearne go, he did go out like a champ: he not only resisted Mordremoth as long as he did (while being linked to the dragon more intimately than any other prisoner, which shows tremendous willpower on his part to not succumb to the dragon sooner at the very heart of its domain) and thus surpassed even the sylvari Pact Commander who was close to succumbing in the final mission, but he also used that access point to let us enter the Dream to confront the dragon and, ultimately, have a clear enough mind to ask us to end him so Mordremoth could be defeated once and for all.

I do hope we get a proper memorial for him at some point in future storyline(s) as he deserves a proper sendoff in the minds of Tyrians for the roles he played in campaigns against two Elder Dragons as well as being the first sylvari Firstborn, which puts him on a pedestal as far as sylvari as a whole are concerned.

I don’t expect Trahearne to return in any way because sylvari don’t even leave souls behind after they die from what we’ve witnessed; the closest we might get are either flashbacks or possibly a representation of Trahearne in the Dream similar to how we saw Ventari in the sylvari tutorial. While Glint’s egg showed us a vision of Mordremoth planning to use Trahearne as one of the prime templates for the cloned mordrem army to unleash on Tyria, we never saw any of the Trahearne mordrems unlike some other heroes’, so it seems the dragon hadn’t had enough time to start producing them by the time we confronted it.

I was disgusted by that scene.That scene implied, more than any other, that Scruffy was a sentient being. When he paused, he demonstrated that he wasn’t just a robot she controlled. He exhibited independent thought, he exhibited caring. And he was killed to open a door. That was the most callous scene I’ve seen in the game. I felt more humanity from Scruffy than Treh or Eir.

According to Matthew Medina on Reddit, Scruffy isn’t sentient, and things playing out the way they did in the cinematic happened for different reasons:

Matthew Medina

Scruffy’s death is dramatic not to give Scruffy the spotlight, but to give Taimi a satisfying emotional arc which started in the previous Living World season. To be clear, he is not in fact displaying sentience when he stops in the cinematic – the pause was meant to represent him processing conflicting orders; does he follow the orders Taimi’s just given, or does he follow his standing orders to safeguard her life? But just because he’s not sentient doesn’t mean Taimi hasn’t formed an emotional bond with him; many of us become attached to inanimate objects that are useful to us (cars, boats, favorite chairs, etc.) and because of Taimi’s disability and Scruffy’s ability to not only protect her but to give her mobility, she cares about him enough to have an emotional moment of “letting go”. I don’t know if the fact that I was in a car accident last year which totaled my Saturn (I’d had it for 10+ years to that point) played a role in my feedback in meetings where we were discussing this moment, but it probably influenced the process a bit. (Source)

Basically Scruffy perished for the same reasons Eir perished: to develop another character (Taimi and Braham, respectively).

If we’re gonna be sad about the golems, let’s not forget Mr. Sparkles. Nobody mentions him much.

Yeah, I was somewhat surprised by the rather low-key reveal of Mr. Sparkles’s remains in Verdant Brink; I would’ve thought that maybe Rytlock could’ve said a word or two about him if nothing else. Mr. Sparkles’s demise further showed the higher stakes of this campaign where anyone and anything, even long established heroes, could be brought down by mordrem.

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

According to Matthew Medina on Reddit, Scruffy isn’t sentient, and things playing out the way they did in the cinematic happened for different reasons:

Fair enough. Processing conflicting orders makes sense, I guess. Thanks for taking the time to explain this.

Posted by: dalendria.3762

dalendria.3762

I was disgusted by that scene.

I found the Scruffy door scene beautiful and moving. It may be too soon for this but sacrificing one’s self for a door or at a door, can be powerful. May we always remember Hold the door, Hold the door, Hodor. sniff

Can you feel it? HOT HOT HOT

Tars.6804

Although I was sad to see Trahearne go, he did go out like a champ: he not only resisted Mordremoth as long as he did (while being linked to the dragon more intimately than any other prisoner, which shows tremendous willpower on his part to not succumb to the dragon sooner at the very heart of its domain) and thus surpassed even the sylvari Pact Commander who was close to succumbing in the final mission, but he also used that access point to let us enter the Dream to confront the dragon and, ultimately, have a clear enough mind to ask us to end him so Mordremoth could be defeated once and for all.

I do hope we get a proper memorial for him at some point in future storyline(s) as he deserves a proper sendoff in the minds of Tyrians for the roles he played in campaigns against two Elder Dragons as well as being the first sylvari Firstborn, which puts him on a pedestal as far as sylvari as a whole are concerned.

Well said; I could not have put it any better way.

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

I found the Scruffy door scene beautiful and moving. It may be too soon for this but sacrificing one’s self for a door or at a door, can be powerful. May we always remember Hold the door, Hold the door, Hodor. sniff

I’m guessing Hodor is someone from gw1, which I haven’t played. Maybe the door-holding scenes in that game were more poignant, but in gw2 it seems like (to me) that anet waste good characters on bad doors. cough claw island cough
Anyway, that’s getting off topic. Let’s get back to discussing Trehearne’s many faults.

anninke.7469

Let’s get back to discussing Trehearne’s many faults.

What do you mean by “many”? He had only two.
First – he was a bit too talkative.
Second – he, by his own long-time work, got to be considered (more) respectable (than the PC) by many of Tyrian leading figures.

Oh, there might be another after all – he considered the Pact Commander his friend and thus dared to share his doubts with them and also had the nerve to ask for help.
Wow, what a lowly good-for-nothing…

Posted by: Cascabel.5806

Cascabel.5806

W-wow… I had no idea so many people hated him.

He was my buddy, my turnip bro, da salad man, why did this have to happen…

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

I found the Scruffy door scene beautiful and moving. It may be too soon for this but sacrificing one’s self for a door or at a door, can be powerful.

Palom and Porom: “Break!”

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Palom and Porom: “Break!”

You magnificent kitten. ;__;
But it’s also a solid point. Nearly 25 years later, and I’m still affected by that scene. What I’ll remember from Eir is disappointment. What I’ll remember from Trahearne is a fist-pumping Yes. I can’t even feel good about spiking Scarlet, it was more an “about time, geez” moment than a victory. And don’t get me started on Fridglinda, the two-episode wonder.

But those twins, I’m still sad about it.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632