Information, and the lack thereof

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Wallace MacBix.2089

Wallace MacBix.2089

They are doing the same things as they have done in the past putting out info that you must look for and not told out right. So the info is there we just need to find it.

Read this a few times…it doesn’t mean anything no matter how i look at it…idk what you wanted to say…you didn’t in any case.

Also i’m being pesimistic…maybe next time we’ll get a recap of the recap of what we know until now xD or maybe another dev bio…ohh geee how i love those…but this time about the person that wrote the other dev bio…

Its called “read the forms.” There a lot more info out there then the dev post.

You mean people speculating about every little thing? Or misquoting? Or explaining things completely incorrectly? A dev says, “yeah that’d be cool” or “oh I like that idea” and it becomes gospel. And people get angry when it doesn’t come to pass.

Don’t get me wrong, there is plenty of nice stuff we’ve “learned” from those great people that analyze every frame of a vid (guard bow, thief riffle) and the amazing data miners (really too much to list), and my above comments aren’t aimed at these guys/gals. But it still isn’t official until Anet says so. I’m just saying that most posts, especially since HoT was announced have just been rampant speculation (and sometimes worse with miscommunication).

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

And today, we got this: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/points-of-interest-episode-18-summary/

A recap summary of something that talks about stuff we’ve pretty much already heard about. Twice.

Woo. The hype train’s really rolling now. Better hold on with both hands, or you might almost be able to pretend you can feel it moving.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: Vix.6730

Vix.6730

Or maybe they’re not evil manipulators, and they do have things reasonably far along, but they’ve been burned by announcing things as subject to change that then do change and everyone says “But you saaaaaaid.”

I said in another post of mine I’ll sit back and wait for Specializations to hit. But the information players are seeking is top-level type information, and that shouldn’t be an issue to release. After all, this information was drafted, polished, discussed, refined and discussed some more before moving into production.

Posted by: Akagami.9861

Akagami.9861

And today, we got this: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/points-of-interest-episode-18-summary/

A recap summary of something that talks about stuff we’ve pretty much already heard about. Twice.

Woo. The hype train’s really rolling now. Better hold on with both hands, or you might almost be able to pretend you can feel it moving.

OMG I WAS SO HAPPY WITH THIS BLOG POST…it’s like the 3rd or 4th time i read/hear about the same very things over and over and over again….

if this is not stalling time….i don’t know what it is.

I’d be way happier if they would just say something like “Yeah we can’t really reveal anything new for like…3-5 months…but we won’t treat you like stupid kids either and just make fun of you with the same info said in different ways over and over and over again…”

This is getting close to an insult, how many times can they actually say the same things in different ways?

Expansion announced WAYYYYYYY to soon…bad move…bad bad bad move….

By how it goes…i’m really hoping we’ll get to play it this year…but somehow i doubt it more and more…too much stalling time…

Posted by: PorceleinEve.2973

PorceleinEve.2973

Expansion announced WAYYYYYYY to soon…bad move…bad bad bad move….

By how it goes…i’m really hoping we’ll get to play it this year…but somehow i doubt it more and more…too much stalling time…

It’s quite clear they were bleeding out customers and income, hence the announcement of living story 3 + feature patch “expansion”. I guess they felt they needed to do something and fast. And it looks like it worked. Folks did come back to the game.

But yeah, I, too am starting to feel that this will be a close to Christmas “expansion” and that they are stalling heavily. I cannot believe that this expansion has been 2 years in the works and be -this- small. I just can’t.

I ’m very curious about the pricing now… very very curious.

Posted by: Rin.1046

Rin.1046

I cannot believe that this expansion has been 2 years in the works and be -this- small. I just can’t.

As you seem to have more information available to you than the rest of us, perhaps you can answer the following:

1) How many skills, traits and other options do the specializations give each profession?
2) How do we progress through the specializations and how long will it take to fully unlock them?
3) How much will the new profession and specializations change the PvP and WvW meta?
4) How big are the guild halls and what activities (if any) will we get in them?
5) Can we customize the guild halls and if so to what extent?
6) Will we get any more/new guild missions in HoT?
7) How many zones will we get in total and will each zone have 3 levels or will there be more on some?
8) How many events and other activities will we get in each zone and how big or small are they?
9) How many masteries will we get in HoT and core zones?
10) How long will it take to progress through all the new zones and fully explore them using the masteries?
11) Will we get any world bosses and if so how many and how big are the events?
12) How many new weapon and armour skins will we be able to collect?
13) What and how many mini games will we get?

I’m sure there are more things I would love to know, but this will do for now. If you can let us know any of the above, and provide official links where possible, that would be appreciated. I would love to find out how you know how much content the expansion will give us. Or are you basing your opinion on the single datamined map view of one third of a zone?

Simplicity is complex.

Good feedback is key to getting the developers to listen to you.

Akagami.9861

I cannot believe that this expansion has been 2 years in the works and be -this- small. I just can’t.

As you seem to have more information available to you than the rest of us, perhaps you can answer the following:

1) How many skills, traits and other options do the specializations give each profession?
2) How do we progress through the specializations and how long will it take to fully unlock them?
3) How much will the new profession and specializations change the PvP and WvW meta?
4) How big are the guild halls and what activities (if any) will we get in them?
7) How many zones will we get in total and will each zone have 3 levels or will there be more on some?
8) How many events and other activities will we get in each zone and how big or small are they?
10) How long will it take to progress through all the new zones and fully explore them using the masteries?

I’m sure there are more things I would love to know, but this will do for now. If you can let us know any of the above, and provide official links where possible, that would be appreciated. I would love to find out how you know how much content the expansion will give us. Or are you basing your opinion on the single datamined map view of one third of a zone?

No need to get cranky…but if you believe the expansion has been in the works for 2+ years…you are gonna have a bad time.

If you can’t see the truth behind the hype…you don’t belive us, it’s okay, just wait until it is released and see for yourself how big this “expansion” will be.

Don’t get me wrong, i’m gonna buy it anyway…but now it depends…they either push the expansion to the very end of the year so they will have more time on their hands. Or they release it sooner with lack of content..

We already know that there will be content missing, this coming from a dev post “A handfull of legendaries” They can’t even manage to release all the Legendaries at once with this expansion…and the whole Legendaries topic was discussed before…and is dating back 2 years.

If you believe they got so much stuff done for the expansion, why the only blog posts we get are recaps of recaps of recaps of info we got during the 1 hour announcement? Why those time buying articles?

Think about it, before you get mad…

PorceleinEve.2973

…snip, snap…

First off, let me say that finally, someone recognizes my knowledge on the game and accepts me as the go-to authority for all matters hot. about time too… so, without further delays, the answers to your questions…

skills – 4 utilities at most, 1 elite, 1 healing skill per specialization. For traits we’re not sure, originally we thought it would be one new trait line with one new and original mechanic per profession but we changed our mind cause a – that would be too much work and b – the white knights will buy pretty much anything we put out and be happy about it. So why waste dev time for that, dev time costs money. So the “new” trait system will include a couple of augmented current traits to include the specialization and we’re done. Other options are non existent, you’re already happy you’re getting those. I mean we didn’t put out any new traits for 3 years now and it’s been fine. why change a successful recipe now?

You don’t progress through them. That’s the mastery system. You’ll get a quest for them, fairly early, do a couple go there, do that chores and hey presto you got your spec. Grats and enjoy. Anything harder than that will go against our policy for ease of access and honestly, who locks new content behind grind walls.. hm.. oh wait. we do. masteries! the pr researchers though thought that if we had you do the same for specializations we might get death threats, and nobody wants that. you guys are after all the NICEST community evah! ammirite?

Not much, if at all. Revs will be op for a time so folks get to enjoy them and melt some faces and after that when most people return to their “regular” class choices we’ll nerf the kitten out of them -cause balance you know- and the loyal fans of the revenants will call the rest of you quitters when the going got tough. they stayed. cause they’re special. obviously.

about 90 square meters give or take, and you can sit in them (not on chairs though, we all know you guys are animals, chairs are for civilized folks), move in them, probably jump in them too, depends, we’re still deciding if that is gonna be immersion breaking or not. 100% certain you’ll be able to chat with your guild in them. the rest is up on the air still, cause we’ve only been working on this amazing feature for 2 years, and everyone knows (except you probably and that other guy you responded to) that guild halls are a 5 year dev cycle affair.

of course you can, that’s the point. to what extend, well you ‘ll get to choose from a limited (but extremely high quality) selection of appearances. and that’s it.

you will get some, but not many, cause the marketing department told us that otherwise folks would complain on the forums about getting empty guild halls. otherwise we’d have given guilds the dungeon treatment.

You ‘ll get 3 zones with 3 lvls each. of course we’re marketing like that’s equal to 9 zones (that’s cause you guys are suckers and you’re buying such pr nonsense) but the truth is that the top zone needs empty spaces for you to “fly” through (and make your glider feel useful). the ground zone will be paths through a dense jungle (great idea that one, one of our best excuses for making confined spaces) and the cave system.. well they’re caves.. so corridors all over connecting chambers. so each zone will be around 1.5 regular tyria zone but it’s ok cause we made sure the zones are a tad smaller so the server won’t collapse from the load.

to be continued…

PorceleinEve.2973

the rest…

The number of events is to be determined yet. Probably as many as we can cram in there until release since folks will get bored of doing the same thing again and again to progress their masteries. Especially if we decide to take out tomes of knowledge out of the mastery system. Other activities will include the ability to zone chat, and gather whatever gatherables the art department comes up with (that’s a lot of work, mind you, they still have to design the new legendaries and stuff).

Not that many. Cause if we did that folks would complain about the grind. So, we’re still waiting for the pr department to come up with the proper number. But under 10 for hot and under 5 for the rest of tyria. But don’t worry we’ll promise you to expand the system in the future. Of course it won’t happen until the next expansion comes out but we’ve found out that the hope that things will get better is often enough to sustain both the white knights and the regulars for a long time. So, it’s ok.

For a dedicated hardcore no life player about a week, maybe a week and a half. The rest will need a couple of months at best.

Maybe one, but not immediately. It will be the first part of the mordremoth fight. We’ll delay it as much as we can of course cause “we’ll want to get it right”. Of course the fight is ready already, but you guys seem to love it when we do that, and we want to keep you content. That’s important.

Many via the cash shop, out in the world 3. Max. We haven’t done the skins for the legendaries yet, you think we’ll bother with free skins?

None, that’s loads of dev time for a novelty that will wear off in a months time. We didn’t bother with dungeons or a new race and you think we’d bother with that? lol@you sir. But i’m certain we’ll tell you that we’re working on that and it’s gonna be super fun and great, but we’ll delay it for our third expansion when we need some more filler content and fast. Actual content takes loads of time.

This here, is totally inside info, but you didn’t hear it from me. I’d hate to lose my job over this. So keep this quiet ok?

Rin.1046

@Akagami – I’m not getting cranky. I also have no opinion on, nor do I care, how long the expansion has been in development. That in my opinion is irrelevant. What I was pointing out is that we do not know enough about the expansion yet to judge its size and claim it is too small.

@PorceleinEve – Thanks. You have answered my main question perfectly.

Simplicity is complex.

Posted by: Crey.5263

Crey.5263

Sooo much plus for Eve, very well crafted and funny to read…

PorceleinEve.2973

@Akagami – I’m not getting cranky. I also have no opinion on, nor do I care, how long the expansion has been in development. That in my opinion is irrelevant. What I was pointing out is that we do not know enough about the expansion yet to judge its size and claim it is too small.

@PorceleinEve – Thanks. You have answered my main question perfectly.

you’re welcome, and we do know enough…

no new race, we know that… not many maps, we know that too… questionable fractal development… the “new” class mechanic won’t be that new after all (druids still got pets)… no new underwater combat… no new starting zones… only one new map for the new pvp mode… an incomplete legendary selection on launch… no new dungeons… no new weapons (2h axe for example)… do we not know all these things? and then it’s all the implied stuff we can infer… do you not see how the top layer needs empty space for us to fly over? or how the caves won’t be the size of a full zone? it is small. and no matter how many times you say we don’t know for sure, we all pretty much know.. we just refuse to accept it. well. some of you at least.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

To be fair, I think they do try to recap the PoIs for those who missed them regardless of what other news they are/are not planning to provide.

Rin.1046

Saying an expansion is small based on what is NOT in it is folly. Focusing on negative space may be a useful tool for artists, but it is not going to help you determine the size of an expansion. There are a lot of things that are not in it, but that doesn’t mean the expansion is small.

People have been conditioned to think that map size (X & Y) and the number of new professions/classes and new levels, it what determines the size of an expansion. But that is how old MMO’s used to do it for years. Anet are trying something new. While they are still going with the traditional business model of an expansion, they are trying to take a different approach to the content.

Yes, we may only get 3 zones, but each zone is (judging by the datamined map) approximately 1.5 times the size of a large core zone. And each zone will be filled with lots of events and adventures and mastery exploration. The size of the map is not important, it is how much activity there is to do in those 3 zones that is the only thing we need to worry about. And that is something we simply do not have enough information on yet to give us an accurate judgement on the expansion’s size.

If the content in HoT keeps you entertained for a year or 2, or at least until the next big batch of content is released, would you still say the expansion is small? Just because the map dimensions are smaller? Or because we only have 1 new profession?

But to go over your negative points:

A new race only adds flavour.
The number of maps is irrelevant if the content within them is enough to keep us entertained for a good while.
Every new profession mechanic cannot be judged on only one example, some professions may be substantially different. Plus we do not yet know if the druids pets have anything different about them, they may still have pets but the pet’s skills may be drastically different. Or the druid may have access to certain pets the base ranger does not.
How do you know there is no underwater combat? Have you seen all the zones? Do you have a link from Anet stating there is no underwater combat? And even if there is no underwater content, this does not reduce the size of the maps or the amount of content.
New starter zones are merely tutorial areas, and therefore not that important if they are missing.
There may only be one new PvP map to start with but I am sure they will add more. The main thing is that we have a new mode to try out. It may not be much, but it is a start. I do agree more maps would be better, but this does not mean the entire expansion is small.
Have you a list of all the ledgendaries we will get? And when you say incomplete, compared to what?
No new dungeons, but we may get open world alternatives. And for all we know the personal story instances may double as mini dungeons when doing them with a full party. This might be a fantasy, but there is nothing to say otherwise. I can use negative space too.
No new weapons, but each profession gets to use an existing one they couldn’t before. All a new weapon is is new skills, and we will be getting that.
Not sure what you mean by having empty space for flying over and how this makes the expansion small. Or how the caves not being a full zone makes the zones small. These points do not make any sense.

You might think it is small because it doesn’t have the specific things you want to see. But you cannot say it is small when you haven’t seen everything it has to offer. All you can say is it doesn’t have some of the things you want it to have.

Simplicity is complex.

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

Saying an expansion is small based on what is NOT in it is folly. Focusing on negative space may be a useful tool for artists, but it is not going to help you determine the size of an expansion. There are a lot of things that are not in it, but that doesn’t mean the expansion is small.

People have been conditioned to think that map size (X & Y) and the number of new professions/classes and new levels, it what determines the size of an expansion. But that is how old MMO’s used to do it for years. Anet are trying something new. While they are still going with the traditional business model of an expansion, they are trying to take a different approach to the content.

Yes, we may only get 3 zones, but each zone is (judging by the datamined map) approximately 1.5 times the size of a large core zone. And each zone will be filled with lots of events and adventures and mastery exploration. The size of the map is not important, it is how much activity there is to do in those 3 zones that is the only thing we need to worry about. And that is something we simply do not have enough information on yet to give us an accurate judgement on the expansion’s size.

If the content in HoT keeps you entertained for a year or 2, or at least until the next big batch of content is released, would you still say the expansion is small? Just because the map dimensions are smaller? Or because we only have 1 new profession?

But to go over your negative points:

A new race only adds flavour.
The number of maps is irrelevant if the content within them is enough to keep us entertained for a good while.
Every new profession mechanic cannot be judged on only one example, some professions may be substantially different. Plus we do not yet know if the druids pets have anything different about them, they may still have pets but the pet’s skills may be drastically different. Or the druid may have access to certain pets the base ranger does not.
How do you know there is no underwater combat? Have you seen all the zones? Do you have a link from Anet stating there is no underwater combat? And even if there is no underwater content, this does not reduce the size of the maps or the amount of content.
New starter zones are merely tutorial areas, and therefore not that important if they are missing.
There may only be one new PvP map to start with but I am sure they will add more. The main thing is that we have a new mode to try out. It may not be much, but it is a start. I do agree more maps would be better, but this does not mean the entire expansion is small.
Have you a list of all the ledgendaries we will get? And when you say incomplete, compared to what?
No new dungeons, but we may get open world alternatives. And for all we know the personal story instances may double as mini dungeons when doing them with a full party. This might be a fantasy, but there is nothing to say otherwise. I can use negative space too.
No new weapons, but each profession gets to use an existing one they couldn’t before. All a new weapon is is new skills, and we will be getting that.
Not sure what you mean by having empty space for flying over and how this makes the expansion small. Or how the caves not being a full zone makes the zones small. These points do not make any sense.

You might think it is small because it doesn’t have the specific things you want to see. But you cannot say it is small when you haven’t seen everything it has to offer. All you can say is it doesn’t have some of the things you want it to have.

What the person was saying was not that it is impossible it could be large, but rather that based on the info released, it is fairly likely it is not large.

also, a lot of your argument isnt about size, but about quality. Much of the things you suggest would not make the expansion big, just that it could be good. A 100 page book i read 100 times is a small book, even if i enjoy it.

So basically, based on what they have said, people should expect a small expansion. You are basically looking at ORR sized content. with some added features. Now you could argue that this small content will be so great its worthwhile, but thats a different premise than that its a large expansion.

Rin.1046

What the person was saying was not that it is impossible it could be large, but rather that based on the info released, it is fairly likely it is not large.

also, a lot of your argument isnt about size, but about quality. Much of the things you suggest would not make the expansion big, just that it could be good. A 100 page book i read 100 times is a small book, even if i enjoy it.

So basically, based on what they have said, people should expect a small expansion. You are basically looking at ORR sized content. with some added features. Now you could argue that this small content will be so great its worthwhile, but thats a different premise than that its a large expansion.

The initial comment was basically saying the expansion is too small to be worked on for 2 years. I was trying to point out that map dimensions and numerical increases are not the only measure of size. The volume of activity can also be considered a measurement of size, and this is something a lot of people are ignoring when they complain the expansion is small. They are not seeing what I, and others, are seeing.

There is nothing in the released information that suggests to me that the expansion will be small. I judge an expansion by how much of my time is filled with enjoyment, not how long it takes me to walk across a region. The former, in my opinion, is far more important and the latter is irrelevent. As the devs themselves have stated (in an interview I think) you can have a massive continent, but then you will struggle to fill it with things to do, resulting in massive areas devoid of activity. Large areas get wasted, and boil down to simple eye candy, because the content isn’t enough to cover the entire area. What Anet are trying to do it reduce the size of the playing area, but fill it with more content. A much wiser course of action in my opinion.

When players look at the size of the map, or comment on there being no new race, they are only looking at cosmetics. They are focusing on things that offer no additional gameplay. They are merely the visual effects you place/cover the activities in/with. To comment on your 100 page book analogy. I would more accurately describe it like thus: Anet are trying to create a 100 page book that you enjoy reading 100 times, and you enjoyed reading every page. What most MMO developers do is create a 10,000 page book that you will only read once, and only enjoy half or less of the pages.

Size is not just about map dimensions, its about content volume as well. And we do not know enough yet about how much content we will get or how much time we will get out of it. Would you rather it take10 hours to explore a map to only be entertained for 1 hour, or 1 hour to explore a map and be entertained for 10 hours? Anet are trying to take a different approach to expansion creation, but it will take a different mindset to see what they are trying to achieve.

At the end of the day only time will tell whether people think it is big enough or not. It won’t be until they release HoT, and we have had time to consume it, that we know whether the expansion is big or small. Has it taken them 2 years to develope it so far? I don’t know, but I have no difficulty in seeing it as possible. Two years of developement doesn’t mean they were coding content 2 years ago. The initial stages were most likely planning things out and discussing what they think will work. Development takes time, and a lot of it.

Simplicity is complex.

PorceleinEve.2973

“I judge an expansion by how much of my time is filled with enjoyment, not how long it takes me to walk across a region.”

That right here, is a strawman. Who exactly said in here that they’re judging by how long it takes them to walk across a region? Nobody. And why is it that you believe that your way of judging an expansion is the one we should all follow? You judge it to be fine, so great for you, others judge it not fine, you have to reform them or something?

“As the devs themselves have stated (in an interview I think) you can have a massive continent, but then you will struggle to fill it with things to do, resulting in massive areas devoid of activity. Large areas get wasted, and boil down to simple eye candy, because the content isn’t enough to cover the entire area. What Anet are trying to do it reduce the size of the playing area, but fill it with more content. A much wiser course of action in my opinion.”

And a false dichotomy. Who exactly said that our only options are, small maps, with lots of “content” (which translates as events) or large maps with lower content coefficients? for something that’s been on the works for 2 years (according to some) why not large maps, lots of maps full of content? Is this an admition by the devs that they’re incapable of producing content and thus making everything smaller so as to look bigger? What arena net is trying to do, is reduce their work and sell this off as a proper expansion when it’s not. And you’re here making excuses for them, potentially enabling them to keep that horrible practice in the future. In short, you’re making the game smaller for all of us.

“When players look at the size of the map, or comment on there being no new race, they are only looking at cosmetics.”

Wrong. New races and maps aren’t just rooms for you to run events in. They’re places in a world. A world mind you, which the devs themselves promised to make more “living”. New maps and races don’t bring a -welcome- change of scenery only. They also bring new stories to be told, old stories to be retold, new lore to be read and understood. They’re not there as something pretty for you to look at. They’re making the world bigger, richer, more alive. They enhance the illusion that this here could be something that exists instead of a boxed room with props were we control small dolls and grind events like mentally challenged individuals robbed clean of their imaginations. And if you don’t get it (as i’m fairly sure you wont) there’s no other way to explain it to you.

“They are focusing on things that offer no additional gameplay.”

They offer so much more than that. They offer the prospect of a world. This is how mmos came to be. That is/was their core premise. To create a virtual world. Not a virtual game space. The devs themelves agknowledged that, hence the living story experiment. The lack of traditional questing etc. Don’t encourage them to abandon their original dream just cause it’s easier to give up and make everything more gamey.

to be continued…

PorceleinEve.2973

the rest…

“To comment on your 100 page book analogy. I would more accurately describe it like thus: Anet are trying to create a 100 page book that you enjoy reading 100 times, and you enjoyed reading every page. What most MMO developers do is create a 10,000 page book that you will only read once, and only enjoy half or less of the pages.”

or they could make a 100,000 page book you’ll enjoy even if you never see the last page. Cause sometimes it’s not the destination that matters, but the process of getting there.

“Size is not just about map dimensions, its about content volume as well. And we do not know enough yet about how much content we will get or how much time we will get out of it. Would you rather it take10 hours to explore a map to only be entertained for 1 hour, or 1 hour to explore a map and be entertained for 10 hours? Anet are trying to take a different approach to expansion creation, but it will take a different mindset to see what they are trying to achieve.”

You too should try a different argument. I mean, i get it, you love false dichotomies. but seriously. 3 times in a row? give it a rest already. Are you saying that anet is incapable of producing a map that takes 10 hours to explore and enjoy for 10 hours? They can -only- produce small enjoyable content or large boring one? Since when exactly theese 2 are our only options.

Not all players enjoy grinding events like you do. I get it, you’re excited that there’s gonna be lots of events to grind mindlessly while listening to the tv or the radio and get some rewards and what not. That’s not everyone’s cup of tea. They need to know that before hand. Not everyone is happy with the lack of content in this expansion. They’re not mind readers, if we don’t let them know about it here in the official forums were exactly are we gonna let them know.

And with that I’m out of this thread, there’s only so much white knighting I can take. all that metal shining in my eyes is bad for my cataract.

Posted by: Hybarf Tics.2048

Hybarf Tics.2048

I wanna hear 2 and only 2 words from you Anet closed beta, those 2 same words you keep avoiding since MArch 6.

Posted by: StickerHappy.8052

StickerHappy.8052

the rest…

“To comment on your 100 page book analogy. I would more accurately describe it like thus: Anet are trying to create a 100 page book that you enjoy reading 100 times, and you enjoyed reading every page. What most MMO developers do is create a 10,000 page book that you will only read once, and only enjoy half or less of the pages.”

or they could make a 100,000 page book you’ll enjoy even if you never see the last page. Cause sometimes it’s not the destination that matters, but the process of getting there.

“Size is not just about map dimensions, its about content volume as well. And we do not know enough yet about how much content we will get or how much time we will get out of it. Would you rather it take10 hours to explore a map to only be entertained for 1 hour, or 1 hour to explore a map and be entertained for 10 hours? Anet are trying to take a different approach to expansion creation, but it will take a different mindset to see what they are trying to achieve.”

You too should try a different argument. I mean, i get it, you love false dichotomies. but seriously. 3 times in a row? give it a rest already. Are you saying that anet is incapable of producing a map that takes 10 hours to explore and enjoy for 10 hours? They can -only- produce small enjoyable content or large boring one? Since when exactly theese 2 are our only options.

Not all players enjoy grinding events like you do. I get it, you’re excited that there’s gonna be lots of events to grind mindlessly while listening to the tv or the radio and get some rewards and what not. That’s not everyone’s cup of tea. They need to know that before hand. Not everyone is happy with the lack of content in this expansion. They’re not mind readers, if we don’t let them know about it here in the official forums were exactly are we gonna let them know.

And with that I’m out of this thread, there’s only so much white knighting I can take. all that metal shining in my eyes is bad for my cataract.

Very good explanation.which also bring up a new point. What is the current state of the game after 2 years? Build diversity? Balance? Dev feedback?

Champion Illusionist Champion Hunter Champion Phantom Champion Magus

Posted by: Brimstar.9036

Brimstar.9036

This company has shown little information about the upcoming game, its starting to worry me like none other. They said things were suppose to be moving quickly but they’ve released little to none information about the game thus far, just things we’ve already known and no real detail on anything outside of the DEMO from PAX. All I been seeing it rehashing of information we’ve known for the past 2+ years. First time I’ve ever been able to say I’m bored with this game and only reason I don’t want to leave is to keep my guild from dying (which is sad).

Posted by: Bathos.6341

Bathos.6341

Anet NEVER give information ahead of release. I didn’t mind when waiting for GW2’s release because their credit was still pretty high with me coming out of GW1. But after 3 years of botched updates, poorly thought out living story episodes, lazy recycled events (or just plain missing events like 2nd anniversary) I don’t have high hopes for HoT really. I certainly will not be pre-ordering this time, I’m going to wait until I can see in depth reviews before I decide if I want to invest any more money in this game.

Posted by: Gibson.4036

Gibson.4036

Anet NEVER give information ahead of release.

They did before GW2.

Remember the original Sylvari design that got taken back to the drawing board and greatly improved? I’m glad that they responded to the community and we have plant people instead of green Elves.

Remember that there was originally an energy mechanic on all professions, and you were expected to stock up on energy potions to be prepared for action?

Remember dye seeds, and how you had to plant them in your personal instance garden before you could harvest a dye to be used?

There was a time when ArenaNet was remarkably communicative about things that were in development, and willing to change them in response to player feedback and internal iteration. Their policy has changed very intentionally over time since launch.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I suppose I’m expecting a lot of that communicative flavor to return once we’re in feedback beta. Much of what you mention was fixed quickly between beta weekends (not the sylvari, that was before the first BWE, though as I recall we couldn’t make and play sylvari until a later beta event).

They did say that one reason they can’t give us a release date is because it will depend on beta feedback and the scope of changes they need to make after they get that feedback.

So while I’m sad we’ve not gotten much in the way of truly new information for a couple of weeks, I still have hope the information floodgates will open reasonably soon.

Posted by: Mar.4839

Mar.4839

I would just feel much better if they spaced out their reveals better. I understand we’re getting a 24 hour Stronghold beta this coming Tuesday but that reveals nothing new at all.

If anything it just seems to be stalling for more time in order to not reveal new information. Just seems strange to have such a long lull, it’s been almost a month without any substantially new information. All we’ve had are tidbits for PvP (which we still seem to continue having) and recaps/spotlights and gem store releases.

Precursor Crafting, which was just one blog post a couple weeks ago, is probably the biggest info we have for PvE.

I feel this coming week will be all about the Stronghold Open Beta and then next week a recap, so effectively it gives them another two weeks of not having to give any new information. So sad, I don’t even do dailies anymore, just log-in for the reward and that’s it. I gotta know what I’ll be working towards in order to start working on it.

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

I feel this coming week will be all about the Stronghold Open Beta and then next week a recap, so effectively it gives them another two weeks of not having to give any new information. So sad, I don’t even do dailies anymore, just log-in for the reward and that’s it. I gotta know what I’ll be working towards in order to start working on it.

It is possible that we can gain a bit of information from the Stronghold OB beyond Stronghold itself. We just have to keep a close eye out for it and watch for odd changes from the expected. Check everything you can if you try the OB, and hope a few things slip through.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

I am curious if Anet is waiting for the April 20th Elder Scrolls Online console addition before revealing more info on HoT to let the hype die down for Elder Scrolls Online..

Posted by: Cazamar.7148

Cazamar.7148

I am curious if Anet is waiting for the April 20th Elder Scrolls Online console addition before revealing more info on HoT to let the hype die down for Elder Scrolls Online..

Game companies do not plan things around other game companies releases. They don’t care.

Posted by: Kodiak.3281

Kodiak.3281

This is really why I don’t think HOT is coming out anytime soon and/or earliest would be August. Four months away seems pretty soon even then with as little information as we’re getting on it. So far they’ve only officially confirmed 3 weapons but only 1 specialization. Given the scope of what they claim (new traits, new utilities, new weapon, etc) really just don’t see it anytime soon.

Sometimes saying nothing is just as much a message as saying a lot of things.

Kodiak X – Blackgate

Posted by: VergilDeZaniah.3295

VergilDeZaniah.3295

They are actually back to their “we don’t say anything” policy… I’d prefer weeks without blog posts than weeks of recycled blog posts (and repetitive live shows).

“You’ve only been able to play LS2 for a year? Let’s make a show to tell you everything you know!”
“You’ve seen many videos on Stronghold? Here, take another one!”

I feel like they’re just baiting us with cold news to distract us from the real problem: they announced their expansion way too early in development, especially since they won’t do anything in the vanilla game anymore.

I don’t mind having to wait for things to be done (though I’m a bit impatient), yet now we’re just eating the same things over and over again, without any hint of anything new…

It’s a bit saddening to see we got hyped just for the sake of keeping players/seeing players coming back.

However, I do hope they are just trolling us, revealing very little information before surprising us with an early release of a complete expansion. But I don’t expect to see anything new before at least August. The hype has died for me.

Guild leader of The Nephilim of Elysium.

Son of Elonia.

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

Look around. The hype has died for everyone. But I’m always surprised anyone is surprised by this. But this is what the expansion crowd wanted.

Are we having fun yet?

Gone to Reddit.

Posted by: VergilDeZaniah.3295

VergilDeZaniah.3295

Look around. The hype has died for everyone. But I’m always surprised anyone is surprised by this. But this is what the expansion crowd wanted.

Are we having fun yet?

I’m personnally getting less and less fun, that’s why I’m switching to other games: I don’t want to be fed up with the game (because, let’s face it, I love it ^^).

Luckily they fixed most of the WvW lags (that’s what took most my fun away), but problems still persist in other parts of the game. Also, the lack of waiting-content drives most people crazy… For example, I’m not a fan of SAB, but I would try it while waiting for HoT, but they won’t release it because of silly reasons (“immersion-breaking” as they say, which don’t include Halloween or Wintersday, not does the X-months wait to play content that’s supposed to ahppen minutes after last bit of lore… Talk about broken immersion).

I have the impression that now they have us hooked waiting for the rest, they grant themselves the right to treat us bad (exaggeration, of course).

If they really want us to wait but still play, they’d better give us a bone to chew on, because repeating the same things over and over again ends up growing on anyone’s nerves.

I know I might complain about a silly aspect, but that doesn’t mean I won’t buy the game and won’t be excited once we get substantial news, I’m just giving my opinion on some silly points in the marketing “rules” they set.

Guild leader of The Nephilim of Elysium.

Son of Elonia.

PorceleinEve.2973

August? you guys really think we’ll be getting this in august? If that happens i’ll be very happy. I’m not expecting the expansion before november this year. The flow of information is off, and it feels like they announced early and many of the mechanics of the game are incomplete or/and untested (internally). They even dropped the “new legendaries for all” in the expansion cause they’re running out of time. Makes me wonder what else will be dropped for a future patch. Pay now, play later seems to be the norm these days.

Posted by: Megane.2103

Megane.2103

I just figured the lack of information was to imply that the expansion is not coming out this year. Why would they frontload everything they can for the expansion when you’re just going to sit on your hands for the next 12-24 months?

Knighthonor.4061

Game companies do not plan things around other game companies releases. They don’t care.

Yes they do.

Rift took direct shots at WoW when it first came out.

Blizzard made strategic expansion reveal when Warhammer was about to come out.

Sony revealed the PS4 to throw the Xbox off.

They do this all the time. you are just blind to this.

Knighthonor.4061

I just figured the lack of information was to imply that the expansion is not coming out this year. Why would they frontload everything they can for the expansion when you’re just going to sit on your hands for the next 12-24 months?

they revealed info so consumers know something it in the works, and to build hype.

but they still want to save their info hype for when certain competition in the MMO market makes their next big move. namely Elder Scrolls Online’s console launch would draw lots of consumers away from GW2.

Timing the Hype after the TESO console release would allow GW2 to pick up and kill the hype of TESO-Console and bring back more gamers.

Posted by: DeadSurvivor.6157

DeadSurvivor.6157

My only concern is the hype … I hope it will exceed expectations and not disappoint like many expansions have a habit of doing these days.

Guild Wars 2 News & Links
Guilds: [AoL]
( Swindle Rogue )

Posted by: webtoehobbit.4201

webtoehobbit.4201

My hype has turned to dread at this point. I now worry about them rushing to get things done and really messing things up. Funny thing is, I think it was Angry Joe, with his interview with Colin. Colin was asked how long this has been in development or something like that and Colin just dodged around the real answer. I think this is gonna be a Kingdom Hearts 3 thing, cept I wish the devs would just come out and admit that they announced too early if there are complications. It’s only fair to us, otherwise we stew and get angry grabs pitchfork

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

TL; DR: I can’t be excited if I have nothing to be excited about.

Who cares? You’re still going to buy the expansion. Correct me if I’m wrong.

I am guessing most current players will buy the XP. I do get what the OP is saying though.

Soon after the announcement we start to get dribbles of information …. which then pretty much stopped. While anet obviously wants to hold on to some details as a surprise for now they are not doing a great job in continuing the hype. For example, we know pretty much nothing about guild halls and it is looking more and more like that will be the case until release.

It was like there was this burst of activity for several weeks then …. nothing. We will buy it no matter what but if you are going to say “you will get this REALLY awesome thing in an indeterminate amount of time” then you need to tell people a bit more. If I know it is coming out in, oh, 2 months, fine … I do not need to know too many details. If you say indeterminate I have no idea when that is (next month? next year? next decade?) so need something to tide me over until I get my hands on it. I do not need a hard and fast date, just some rough idea when it will hopefully be ready for prime time.

Indeterminate means nothing. The mac client has been beta for how long exactly? What we have is not even a mac client but the pc client running on a windows emulation library (‘porting’ that way is a major part of why games have a really bad rep on macs). I would be shocked if we ever get a real mac client or it gets out of ‘beta’.

Posted by: AfterXII.2761

AfterXII.2761

It’s been fairly quiet for a couple months now and we’re starting to lose our players again. ANet, I understand you probably have a bit of work on your plate and you probably didn’t start updating guild content for HoT until that Fall Guild CDI took place but why did you stop giving us information about the expansion?

I understand some parts might not be finished but it feels like we hit a wall. The 2 week updates are seemingly on autopilot with 2-3 gem store releases and hot fixes. Where did the update plan go? Was the announcement of the expansion the time buyer you needed to cease regular updates to the game?

I’m not asking for a whole new story, just something… different.

http://gw2shinies.com/ – A Guild Wars 2 Trading Post Service
http://gw2tno.com/ – The Nameless Ones [TNO]

Posted by: Andred.1087

Andred.1087

It’s been fairly quiet for a couple months now and we’re starting to lose our players again.

As if they won’t all come running back when the expansion drops.

Seriously you people need to chill. I don’t know what you’ve got in your heads that makes you think you deserve more information ASAP. Your knowledge of the expansion has no bearing on when it will be released or what content will be in it. It is purely selfish to desire that information, as the only purpose served in knowing it is self-satisfaction. And even then, you’ll get annoyed in 2 weeks if they don’t give more info that you specifically want to see.

ANet has a plan for releasing the info. They’ve probably worked out the entire thing by now, up to the last blog post. But there is no sense in talking about it. You’ll just have to exercise some patience. Is that too much to ask?

“You’ll PAY to know what you really think.” ~ J. R. “Bob” Dobbs

PorceleinEve.2973

Seriously you people need to chill. I don’t know what you’ve got in your heads that makes you think you deserve more information ASAP. Your knowledge of the expansion has no bearing on when it will be released or what content will be in it. It is purely selfish to desire that information, as the only purpose served in knowing it is self-satisfaction. And even then, you’ll get annoyed in 2 weeks if they don’t give more info that you specifically want to see.

ANet has a plan for releasing the info. They’ve probably worked out the entire thing by now, up to the last blog post. But there is no sense in talking about it. You’ll just have to exercise some patience. Is that too much to ask?

No, no we won’t. It all depends on the relation of cost of the expansion, content of the expansion and what else i have to play at that time. I get it, you think we ‘re all lemmings here, but we’re not. Not all of us.

In my head there’s the notion that I am a consumer. And as a consumer, I need to know what is going to be in this expansion to make the informed decision I need to make. Do I continue playing gw2 now, so I can dive into the expansion when it lands, or, do i drop gw2 now, go play pillars of eternity, and come back much later, since i won’t buy the expansion till it is on sale. See? I can’t make that decision based on the info I’ve got, cause I haven’t got much. Others want to know if it’s smart to start lvling up this or that class, lvl up that or the other crafting profession, work on their ascended, or fractals, or gather the mats for a legendary. They can’t make those decisions cause they haven’t got the info.

Our knowledge of the content of the expansion is very important. We need it, so we can provide feedback. After all the expansion is aimed at pleasing us, the consumers, who will spend money and consume it. And it is in their best interests, and ours, to let them know that feature X is a really stupid idea or feature Y is a really great one. If they have no clue what we like, how on earth they gonna produce something that most folks will enjoy? The game is 3 years old already. They only got this one chance. If this expansion tanks, or is too small, or too boring, or too grindy and fails, the game will probably get in trouble. And since everyone in here loves the game enough to come post about it, it’s us that will get hurt if the game tanks. The casuals and the mmo tourists will move to another mmo.

So, plenty of reasons to give us more info. Best one of all, is to ease everyone’s mind that they really know what they’re doing. Cause the biggest fear imo in here is that they don’t.

Posted by: Mar.4839

Mar.4839

No, no we won’t. It all depends on the relation of cost of the expansion, content of the expansion and what else i have to play at that time. I get it, you think we ‘re all lemmings here, but we’re not. Not all of us.

In my head there’s the notion that I am a consumer. And as a consumer, I need to know what is going to be in this expansion to make the informed decision I need to make. Do I continue playing gw2 now, so I can dive into the expansion when it lands, or, do i drop gw2 now, go play pillars of eternity, and come back much later, since i won’t buy the expansion till it is on sale. See? I can’t make that decision based on the info I’ve got, cause I haven’t got much. Others want to know if it’s smart to start lvling up this or that class, lvl up that or the other crafting profession, work on their ascended, or fractals, or gather the mats for a legendary. They can’t make those decisions cause they haven’t got the info.

Our knowledge of the content of the expansion is very important. We need it, so we can provide feedback. After all the expansion is aimed at pleasing us, the consumers, who will spend money and consume it. And it is in their best interests, and ours, to let them know that feature X is a really stupid idea or feature Y is a really great one. If they have no clue what we like, how on earth they gonna produce something that most folks will enjoy? The game is 3 years old already. They only got this one chance. If this expansion tanks, or is too small, or too boring, or too grindy and fails, the game will probably get in trouble. And since everyone in here loves the game enough to come post about it, it’s us that will get hurt if the game tanks. The casuals and the mmo tourists will move to another mmo.

So, plenty of reasons to give us more info. Best one of all, is to ease everyone’s mind that they really know what they’re doing. Cause the biggest fear imo in here is that they don’t.

Couldn’t have said it better myself, really. I’m glad for the delve into these new hylek creatures we received today and the blog post and gameplay tomorrow but as of continuing to log into GW2 I’m just gonna finish my week of log-in dailies and that’s it.

There’s no desire within to play the game anymore, I may be just one player but what is outlined above is exactly how I feel. I want to know if there’s things in the expansion I’d like to be working towards.

I have such a hard time sticking to a class right now, maybe the specializations will be enough to sway me one way and finally be able to decide, but as of right now with that information unavailable it makes playing the game very dull. I need to have one main class to identify with in order to enjoy my time with the game.

Of course we will be back come the expansion but that’s not the point. The point is they’re not doing a whole lot to keep players retained to the game currently and steady new information about the expansion would’ve been one swell way to do it.

From introducing these lore bits and the fact that they will have more to talk about the other creatures that will be introduced in HoT it really seems this expansion is much further away from being released than how they made it originally sound.

I cannot imagine Arena Net bombarding us with substantially information every week as the expansion gets closer based off of how they’re currently disseminating their information right now. To me this shows that the expansion probably not going to release until next year. I suppose I will just have to do something else to keep myself occupied and come back months later to check on their progress.

Posted by: Nuzt.7894

Nuzt.7894

I would like to know more about specializations. The rest is fine I don’t mind waiting, but the specializations are exciting imo.

Posted by: bigbobpataki.4796

bigbobpataki.4796

I think people are getting too caught up in a “lack of information=bad/no content” line of thought. The fact that people are taking statements like “handful of legendaries” and equating that to “5-6 legendaries at release” is pretty insane. How do you justify that other than you’re being overly pessimistic because you want a reason to complain on the forums? If you have information that confirms that then please, by all means share.

Do I think the amount of information released thus far has been low? Yeah, they could tell us stuff like how specializations will be unlocked and whatnot, but they’ve given us a basic rundown of most features in the expansion. Revenant? Multiple weapons and half the traits. New WvW Borderlands? A 20 minute tour. New sPvP mode? We just had 24 hours to play it ourselves. Masteries? They showed us a good amount of the lines. Maps? The top portion of the 1st map is leaked, and they moved Rata Sum more south, (hopefully) signifying that new maps will stretch down that far at the least. Prescursor crafting? A decent breakdown. All that’s missing really is guild stuff/specializations, and they need to reserve that info for some sort of blitz of info during the runup to the betas/release.

Why should Arenanet release information about features that are not ready/incomplete just to satisfy a vocal minority on the forums? If they release too much info early and then have to change whats been announced, people who liked that will be upset and the same people who wanted early info will be here complaining about the changes. Its a real kitten ed if you do, kitten ed if you don’t. Don’t assume that no info=no new content. If this keeps up till June than be concerned but until then relax.

(edited by bigbobpataki.4796)

Posted by: Joey.2769

Joey.2769

Do we even have a release date yet? If not then the expansion isn’t finalized.

Commander X Swagalicious X
Commander Twerknificient
Joey Bladow

Posted by: Zaklex.6308

Zaklex.6308

For the millionth time, they started design on this expansion as soon as or very soon after(if not maybe slightly before) GW2 was released in August 2 and half years ago, so the expansion itself has been in development for 2+ years.

Source?

Because I doubt very, very much that’s true.

Considering how what we will get doesn’t appear to be more than Living World Season 3 with a few extras, and how ArenaNet claimed they won’t manage to even release more than a “handful” of legendaries, if that’s the best they can do after 30 months, I would be extremely disappointed.

My source is Colin Johansen, in, without looking, one of the many interviews he gave after the announcement at PAXSouth, and for those that doubt it’s been in development that long…reread my earlier post: not once did I say it was a main focus, all that time, all I said was that’s in been in the planning stages since just after GW2 was released. Marketing 101, if you’re working on something and you don’t want anyone to know, tell the customers that you have no plans on ever doing the one thing you know they want the most…I know that and I never took Marketing 101.

I’m just gonna go ahead and say: You are really really really really wrong.

And i’m a nice guy so i’m gonna tell you why too: ArenaNet wanted to try something different, a different aproach for mmo’s, and while i appreciate them for that, and it is one of the reasons why i love GW2 so much…it failed, first they tried the Season 1 of LS, every 2 weeks new content, but it meant that the old content was taken out. THIS WAS A LIVING WORLD, things change, they never remain for late comers…

But that was also the problem, imagine everyone that had an GW2 account when they started with the episodes, started doing them, every 2 weeks…every single player(imagine they were all 80 with at least 1 character) and it could’ve worked quite well(again ignoring personal problems, holidays, school, work…people just found time to play the episodes before being taken out)

The problem consisted in people that were coming in, just like myself at say…idk episode 3?episode 5? 7? They already missed the few episodes, and by the time they learn what’s up with the game and reach 80 they loose 1-2 more episodes.

In a MMO this aproach doesn’t work.

So we got Season 2, ofc it was kinda better, but the world wasn’t so…living anymore, and people complained about the 200 gems, in case they didn’t log in for a whole 2 weeks.

And in this end this plan failed too…but allowed them to test some things, SilverWaste/Dry Top maps…and Luminecent collection…also maybe a new curency? geodes/crests.

The main reason they switched to an expansion like content is this: There is no subscription to the game, besides the few million copies sold, and some players buying some gems…there was no income for ANET….and a MMO of this complexity doesn’t just…make it somehow…it either makes money or fails.

ANET noticed that players feel entitled to everything for free…(OMG HOW DARE THEY ASK ME FOR 200 GEMS TO PAY FOR ONE EPISODES….THIS IS STEALING…OMG) this meant they couldn’t introduce new features for a price…cause they would have a mob with fire and forks and pointy stuff ready to take ANET down…

But you know what people are used to pay for? EXPANSIONS….ignoring the few people that live in a far far fantasy world and they think that Expansion should be free…ingoring them…. most of us are used to paying for expansion…

So it’s like this: 200gems for one episodes? GREEDY CORPORATE kittenS
60$ for an expansion? cool…when can i preorder?

ANET did try to do something different, it didn’t work…i appreciate the effort put into the game…

But one thing is clear, THEY HAD NO INTENTION of making an expansion, they avoided it at all costs, and in lack of any other way they had to go back to the old ways.

This is why i said MAYBE they decided to go with an expansion after the China Release, or during Mid Seasons 2 LS….

You can ignore the facts as long as you can, and close the eyes as hard as you can…but this is the truth…and i’m not saying it’s something bad…but those are the facts…

cheers

We’ll see who has the last laugh when Living Story Season 3 starts within a year of HoT being released.

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

For the millionth time, they started design on this expansion as soon as or very soon after(if not maybe slightly before) GW2 was released in August 2 and half years ago, so the expansion itself has been in development for 2+ years.

Source?

Because I doubt very, very much that’s true.

Considering how what we will get doesn’t appear to be more than Living World Season 3 with a few extras, and how ArenaNet claimed they won’t manage to even release more than a “handful” of legendaries, if that’s the best they can do after 30 months, I would be extremely disappointed.

My source is Colin Johansen, in, without looking, one of the many interviews he gave after the announcement at PAXSouth, and for those that doubt it’s been in development that long…reread my earlier post: not once did I say it was a main focus, all that time, all I said was that’s in been in the planning stages since just after GW2 was released. Marketing 101, if you’re working on something and you don’t want anyone to know, tell the customers that you have no plans on ever doing the one thing you know they want the most…I know that and I never took Marketing 101.

I’m just gonna go ahead and say: You are really really really really wrong.

And i’m a nice guy so i’m gonna tell you why too: ArenaNet wanted to try something different, a different aproach for mmo’s, and while i appreciate them for that, and it is one of the reasons why i love GW2 so much…it failed, first they tried the Season 1 of LS, every 2 weeks new content, but it meant that the old content was taken out. THIS WAS A LIVING WORLD, things change, they never remain for late comers…

But that was also the problem, imagine everyone that had an GW2 account when they started with the episodes, started doing them, every 2 weeks…every single player(imagine they were all 80 with at least 1 character) and it could’ve worked quite well(again ignoring personal problems, holidays, school, work…people just found time to play the episodes before being taken out)

The problem consisted in people that were coming in, just like myself at say…idk episode 3?episode 5? 7? They already missed the few episodes, and by the time they learn what’s up with the game and reach 80 they loose 1-2 more episodes.

In a MMO this aproach doesn’t work.

So we got Season 2, ofc it was kinda better, but the world wasn’t so…living anymore, and people complained about the 200 gems, in case they didn’t log in for a whole 2 weeks.

And in this end this plan failed too…but allowed them to test some things, SilverWaste/Dry Top maps…and Luminecent collection…also maybe a new curency? geodes/crests.

The main reason they switched to an expansion like content is this: There is no subscription to the game, besides the few million copies sold, and some players buying some gems…there was no income for ANET….and a MMO of this complexity doesn’t just…make it somehow…it either makes money or fails.

ANET noticed that players feel entitled to everything for free…(OMG HOW DARE THEY ASK ME FOR 200 GEMS TO PAY FOR ONE EPISODES….THIS IS STEALING…OMG) this meant they couldn’t introduce new features for a price…cause they would have a mob with fire and forks and pointy stuff ready to take ANET down…

But you know what people are used to pay for? EXPANSIONS….ignoring the few people that live in a far far fantasy world and they think that Expansion should be free…ingoring them…. most of us are used to paying for expansion…

So it’s like this: 200gems for one episodes? GREEDY CORPORATE kittenS
60$ for an expansion? cool…when can i preorder?

ANET did try to do something different, it didn’t work…i appreciate the effort put into the game…

But one thing is clear, THEY HAD NO INTENTION of making an expansion, they avoided it at all costs, and in lack of any other way they had to go back to the old ways.

This is why i said MAYBE they decided to go with an expansion after the China Release, or during Mid Seasons 2 LS….

You can ignore the facts as long as you can, and close the eyes as hard as you can…but this is the truth…and i’m not saying it’s something bad…but those are the facts…

cheers

We’ll see who has the last laugh when Living Story Season 3 starts within a year of HoT being released.

it will be faster than that, HoT is only the first part of the season, they intend on releasing many HoT related things post launch from what they said.

doesnt really change what the guy you are replying to is saying though

Akagami.9861

Another week with little to no info…new blog posts designed to buy time. It’s been over a month…since we got some actual interesting, usefull…wanted information…

We got a reminder that there will be masteries…could’ve been something way more interesting and detailed about them…but ofc we didn’t get that…

and the wildlife of maguma jungle…recycled species we already have…not even new ones…or at least something that is not frog based…

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

^ Just because YOU don’t like certain information doesn’t mean it is not new or interesting information.

There are plenty of people that are much more interested in Lore bits than about Guild Halls or Specializations. And all in all we have gotten more information about features than about lore since the announcement.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square