in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: webtoehobbit.4201

webtoehobbit.4201

Tree frogs this week…. Fantastic ANet….. golf clap

Information, and the lack thereof

Posted by: Ralanost.8913

Ralanost.8913

Monumentally disappointed. A halfass blurb that is referring to a blog post they already made and Hylek. Really?!

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

So it isn’t even information people are complaining about. It is information they are personally interested in.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

So it isn’t even information people are complaining about. It is information they are personally interested in.

Not for all of us.

I like a bit of lore, but I’m worried that they’ll give away too much of it. I want there to be lore to uncover in the game without going “Yes, yes. I know this already.” What they gave us about the Kermits is good, but any more may ruin the fun of meeting them.

The mechanics of the game systems, however, are something we need more information on. In this case, not knowing doesn’t make the game fun, it makes it frustrating. Playing around with traits and skills is fun, but only if you understand how traits and skills work. The same will likely be true of the Mastery system and the class Specializations.

They gave us this today as well: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/hidden-arcana-mastering-the-maguuma-2/ Sadly, it doesn’t say anything we didn’t already know. Again. The way they keep repeating and restating everything they say is starting to remind me of someone.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: Aniltiger.9186

Aniltiger.9186

The expansion will come out whenever it does and additional information will be published once in a while prior to that.

Just enjoy the game and try to prepare for the expansion.

Posted by: bigbobpataki.4796

bigbobpataki.4796

Another week with little to no info…new blog posts designed to buy time. It’s been over a month…since we got some actual interesting, usefull…wanted information…

We got a reminder that there will be masteries…could’ve been something way more interesting and detailed about them…but ofc we didn’t get that…

and the wildlife of maguma jungle…recycled species we already have…not even new ones…or at least something that is not frog based…

I wouldn’t consider the new Hylek to be recycled really, they look different enough from our current hylek and behave differently. I’m not that big on lore but I can appreciate the role that the hylek are going to serve, namely to not have the jungle just be “mordremoth is bad” lore wise. From the trailer it seems like theres going to be tons of new wildlife, and a few people that reached the jungle floor in the closed beta took pictures of new wildlife enemies, so they’re in there. We also don’t know anything about the exalted.

I agree that the mastery post sounded pretty rehashed, but at least we got an indication that Tyria masteries will go beyond precursor crafting. They can’t reveal everything at once or else they will have no buildup during the summer or worse take flak for removing announced features that didn’t work/couldnt be ready in time.

Posted by: Akagami.9861

Akagami.9861

I would rather learn about the lore…from actually playing the game and interacting with each npc…it’s more fun..and Role Play-like..Reading about the lore in a blog post like this does little to impress me…i didn’t even read it…just the highlights…i want to be surprised.

I want to go into the maguma jungle and loose myself into the story, the conversations…the lore…that’s the role play part of the game…the part where my in game Avatar…my virtual self interacts with these creatures.

So yeah this info is useless and spoiler like…more interested in the gameplay mechanics…to see if the expansion is really worth its money.

bigbobpataki.4796

So let me get this straight, you want them to release more information, but just about certain aspects of the game? But not only that, but that anet should avoid certain topics? Pretty hard to please. And I doubt the small previews they have given are “spoilers”.

Posted by: Eirdyne.9843

Eirdyne.9843

It’s just the same thing we always see:
“November 4th” and then a picture of a portal.
http://dulfy.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/gw2-season-2-returns-nov-4.jpg

I think they are trying to use the same sort of marketing Game of Thrones uses. They have tons of really great pictures somewhere, but they’re afraid to reveal it because it’s still not a terrific quantity when put down into images.

Example:
Game of Thrones has only just begun to show images from Season 3’s production and that was 2013. Unfortunately, as G.R.R. Martin has commented your consumer base will abandon you if you push this too far. When Game of Thrones released in the US the Australian tv stations decided to air it six months late. The result? The tv stations were dropped and their consumers moved on to find the product on-time with the rest of the world via the internet.
In the case of video games players don’t seek out your product elsewhere, they drop you and move on. Warlords of Draenor nearly sunk before it got launched because Blizzard stopped releasing advertising about after two sub-par expansions: Mists of Pandaria and Cataclysm. Subscriptions were plummeting fast. Then it released news of an expansion that went back to the roots of the series: Outland Orcs vs. Azeroth. The player base didn’t exactly stabilize, but it slowed down the hemorrhaging. It’s biggest stabilization started up when suddenly a lot of little concept pictures, art, and story started filtering out continuously.

Now, I’m of the opinion these forums are not read. These things exist to exhaust players of their grievances with the false-belief ‘they have been heard’. The only reason the forums are moderated is to give the impression of Anet participation with the player base and non-game-politics.

Posted by: Mar.4839

Mar.4839

So let me get this straight, you want them to release more information, but just about certain aspects of the game? But not only that, but that anet should avoid certain topics? Pretty hard to please. And I doubt the small previews they have given are “spoilers”.

I think they just mean they’d like to be able to uncover all the lore within the game. I don’t believe that’s too much to ask for and actually I think most people prefer lore to be available in-game most of the time anyway.

Think of it like how Elder Scrolls games tell their lore. They do it through in-game books. Why other games, especially MMOs, have not capitalized on this idea perplexes me, it’s such a good way to keep your players playing the game. Of course I’m not sure how they would do certain parts of the lore like Scarlet’s background, unless she kept a diary or something. But something I think Arena Net should look into for sure.

I’m still disappointed there’s nothing on Specializations yet but my disappointment is a little bit curbed from these blog posts. The way they’re delving into all these facets of the HoT content actually feels like before GW2 originally released. I’m starting to believe HoT will be worthy of being called an “expansion.”

Also the bit about looking forward to hearing our constructive feedback when we get to try the Mastery system…….. sneaky way of letting us know another Beta is looming soon..? (By soon I mean a minimum of 4 weeks away)

<< C’mon Arena Net >>

Palador.2170

Think of it like how Elder Scrolls games tell their lore. They do it through in-game books. Why other games, especially MMOs, have not capitalized on this idea perplexes me, it’s such a good way to keep your players playing the game. Of course I’m not sure how they would do certain parts of the lore like Scarlet’s background, unless she kept a diary or something. But something I think Arena Net should look into for sure.

Actually, she did and they used that idea for a bit. It was great, save for the fact that so many hated Scarlet already. If it had been for another important character, I think it would have been much better received.

Also the bit about looking forward to hearing our constructive feedback when we get to try the Mastery system…….. sneaky way of letting us know another Beta is looming soon..? (By soon I mean a minimum of 4 weeks away)

<< C’mon Arena Net >>

They also said they were listening to our feedback on the NPE and the Trait system changes. Look where that got us. What they say and what they do are two different things.

One final thought: Let’s all remember that any lore that appears OUTSIDE of the game is not considered canon. This was stated by ANet themselves, as I recall. So, anything we read in a blog is entirely open to change before or after the expansion launches. Keep that in mind.

(edited by Palador.2170)

Posted by: piano man.1672

piano man.1672

For those stating they’re not far along in the expansion development process…

I’m pretty sure I heard that they’ve been working on this expansion for a long time in a recent Points of Interest video. Like, shortly after the release of GW2. Correct me if I’m wrong (but with facts and evidence! otherwise your claim is as good as mine! lol)

Anyways, if they were to start releasing a lot of information about Specializations and Group Content now, what do they have to talk about in the months closing in on the release? I do agree, I’d like to see a bit more about the expansion other than lore on a creature/creatures, but I’d rather know useful chunks of information than getting everything all at once, then really having nothing to look forward for months until the release.

Kharros 80 Warr | Dead on Revival 80 Necro | Yoxx 80 Guard | Khoton 80 Thief | Thera Majere 80 Ele

Mar.4839

Actually, she did and they used that idea for a bit. It was great, save for the fact that so many hated Scarlet already. If it had been for another important character, I think it would have been much better received.

<< C’mon Arena Net >>

They also said they were listening to our feedback on the NPE and the Trait system changes. Look where that got us. What they say and what they do are two different things.

One final thought: Let’s all remember that any lore that appears OUTSIDE of the game is not considered canon. This was stated by ANet themselves, as I recall. So, anything we read in a blog is entirely open to change before or after the expansion launches. Keep that in mind.

But they have plans for changing the NPE and Trait system, it’s just not here yet and they never said it was coming anytime soon. Imo I think we’ll get them either really close to HoT release or with HoT’s release.

Just like the Personal Story revamp, they have already talked about what they are going to change and what they fixed and etc but Bobby said the earliest it would come, if it does, is in 2 months from when he made that post. So even though they’ve done a lot of work on it already it seems like they take their time on their “polishing phase” of whatever game system they’re working on unless it’s pretty critical (like the pet passive bug that plagued us for a while).

Honestly for a lot of core changes to the game, like the condition cap and revisiting existing class skills/traits/etc. seem to be coming but wayyyyyyyyyy down the line. I wish I could still enjoy the game in the meantime but I can’t. So i’ll just log for log-in rewards and go do something else in the meantime until some major news pops up again.

But as for people saying that if they show everything now then we’ll have nothing for months on end, I highly doubt it. Just look at how many new (but relatively small) things they’re making blog posts about. They easily have enough information to tide us over for 4 straight months of new, relatively big, reveals. Especially if what was said at the fan meet is true and they want to dedicate 1 week per specialization. That’s 9 weeks right there, and 18 if they decide to spread them out by an extra week, and that’s just specializations.

It doesn’t even touch on:
Guild Halls <- can be separated into several (2-4) weeks discussing certain aspects, just like Revenant being split up
Challenging Group content <- can be seperated into several (2-4) weeks too if they’re going to look at dungeons, fractals, and possibly “raids” -gasp-

These three major features can easily quell those of us wanting news that is relatively big (compared to lore about NPC races), stuff that affects a wide variety of gameplay systems within the GW2 world from 4-8 months.

Especially if they decide to do as much recapping as they are clearly doing right now with Stronghold, Masteries, and HoT Story.

This isn’t even touching on Closed Betas and Beta Weekends which were held 1-2 months apart. It’s also not touching on weeks about the other NPC races and creatures that they said they will talk more about.

Honestly I feel they have a year’s worth of information to give if we were to get relatively big news every other week. There’s clearly a lot of topics they still haven’t gotten to yet.

That is why many people here on the forums, including me, are just wondering why so much fluff lately. I believe they’ve worked a lot on HoT content, but with the way they’re spacing out the information they’re giving us so far, they can easily extend an extra year of working on the expansion before running out of information to blog post about.

Posted by: Zaklex.6308

Zaklex.6308

Not for all of us.

I like a bit of lore, but I’m worried that they’ll give away too much of it. I want there to be lore to uncover in the game without going “Yes, yes. I know this already.” What they gave us about the Kermits is good, but any more may ruin the fun of meeting them.

The mechanics of the game systems, however, are something we need more information on. In this case, not knowing doesn’t make the game fun, it makes it frustrating. Playing around with traits and skills is fun, but only if you understand how traits and skills work. The same will likely be true of the Mastery system and the class Specializations.

They gave us this today as well: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/hidden-arcana-mastering-the-maguuma-2/ Sadly, it doesn’t say anything we didn’t already know. Again. The way they keep repeating and restating everything they say is starting to remind me of someone.

See the part I put in bold, you see, there are also people that like/love to figure out how things work on their own, so getting this information beforehand is irrelevant to them. Everyone has their personal like and dislikes as to what information is being given out, for me personally, I could care less about the mechanics, I can figure those out myself once the game goes live, makes it more interesting that way, but that’s just my personal preference. Everyone has personal preferences and there in lies the problem, no matter what information is given out, some segment of the population isn’t going to be happy with it, when everyone should really be happy that any information is given out at all.

Posted by: Chrispy.5641

Chrispy.5641

Uhm…yeah. What did you expect? For me, I’ve said plenty of times that the only thing that will get me excited are things that expands the way I can play the game (so…specializations, new classes, crafting, playable races, etc.)

We’ve gotten some info on the Revenant, and Masteries. But that’s it. And since Hylek aren’t playable or anything….nothing to be excited for, and as a result, I’m going to complain, and so are other people.

The expansion will come out whenever it does and additional information will be published once in a while prior to that.

I can’t prepare for the expansion if I don’t know what to prepare for

Aniltiger.9186

I can’t prepare for the expansion if I don’t know what to prepare for[/quote]

Prepare in general. For example, save up gold. Collect materials. Upgrade armor or/and get new armor which can change stats when you know what stats will be favourable with the new specialization system and just progressively prepare as more information gets out.

Posted by: PorceleinEve.2973

PorceleinEve.2973

Prepare in general.

do some yoga, start eating healthier, call your parents on the phone, tell your friends you love ‘em even though they’re noobs, find the meaning of life (it might be 43, don’t trust authority). plenty of stuff to do till the expansion comes, just not in the game :P

sorry anil couldn’t resist :P

ps – YOU ARE NOT PREPARED

bigbobpataki.4796

I think the key here is that its better to slow down information while the expansion is still being finalized rather than jump the gun. I’d imagine you’d be more upset with anet if they indicated that you should prepare for a certain thing with a premature announcement, only for that certain thing to be axed later on in the development cycle. Slowing down the information being released 4 months out of the xpac date largely prevents anet from releasing some information about ideas for the expansion that everyone runs with but may have to be cut due to time constraints/limitations.

Palador.2170

Not for all of us.

See the part I put in bold, you see, there are also people that like/love to figure out how things work on their own, so getting this information beforehand is irrelevant to them. Everyone has their personal like and dislikes as to what information is being given out, for me personally, I could care less about the mechanics, I can figure those out myself once the game goes live, makes it more interesting that way, but that’s just my personal preference. Everyone has personal preferences and there in lies the problem, no matter what information is given out, some segment of the population isn’t going to be happy with it, when everyone should really be happy that any information is given out at all.

Well… yeah. Okay, I guess you have a point there. I don’t agree with it, but I can’t deny it either.

Posted by: BilboBaggins.5620

BilboBaggins.5620

As great as the expansion sounds, the fact is we aren’t getting information fast enough. I was having trouble putting my finger on why I’m slowly caring less and less about the expansion and GW2 in general, but this is it.

We’ve gotten little to no information since they announced the expansion about any of the functionality of the new specializations or mastery system, just small peeks at areas that are insignificant or insubstantial (like WvW maps). All the players have to rely on are bits and pieces datamined from beta patches.

TL; DR: I can’t be excited if I have nothing to be excited about.

They’ve told you about everything they’ve got working already, after all they’ve only had three years.

Aniltiger.9186

Prepare in general.

do some yoga, start eating healthier, call your parents on the phone, tell your friends you love ‘em even though they’re noobs, find the meaning of life (it might be 43, don’t trust authority). plenty of stuff to do till the expansion comes, just not in the game :P

Haha some humor is always nice. You know what, that’s not a bad idea as the expansion is far from release :P

Chrispy.5641

Prepare in general. For example, save up gold. Collect materials. Upgrade armor or/and get new armor which can change stats when you know what stats will be favourable with the new specialization system and just progressively prepare as more information gets out.

Alright…

First, There’s a little button on the bottom right of every post. Its a little black arrow, click it to quote. DON’T CHANGE ANYTHING, the forums will do it for you. It quotes properly every time, no need to edit any part of it.

Second, maxed on all the materials I’ll ever need for exotics, since there is no reason to ever go ascended, except for weapons, of which I already have several for each of my armor sets.

3rd, I have the following armor sets ::: (Beserker’s, Assassin’s, Cleric, Magix2, Rabid, and Rampager), all exotic, with the associated weapons I need for each build. I literally have an armor set for every and any situation.

No point in upgrading any to Ascended, maybe with the exception for Trinkets, and I already have several sets of ascended trinkets. (unless Anet wants to stop being lazy and release some ascended Magi trinkets…not likely)

So, there you have it. Can’t progressively prepare because I’m already prepared.

Prepare in general.

I already do Yoga, and I run 5k every two days. Talked to my parents on wed. on my birthday, My friends aren’t noobs, I’m actually worse than them, but I still love em. The meaning of life is Ramen Noodles, not the number 42,….if only it weren’t so unhealthy.

Welp. I got nothing to do until the expansion hits, and I still can’t prepare for something I don’t know what to prepare for, still proving my original point. Anything else?

(edited by Chrispy.5641)

Posted by: McNinja.5417

McNinja.5417

Saying an expansion is small based on what is NOT in it is folly. Focusing on negative space may be a useful tool for artists, but it is not going to help you determine the size of an expansion. There are a lot of things that are not in it, but that doesn’t mean the expansion is small.

People have been conditioned to think that map size (X & Y) and the number of new professions/classes and new levels, it what determines the size of an expansion. But that is how old MMO’s used to do it for years. Anet are trying something new. While they are still going with the traditional business model of an expansion, they are trying to take a different approach to the content.

Yes, we may only get 3 zones, but each zone is (judging by the datamined map) approximately 1.5 times the size of a large core zone. And each zone will be filled with lots of events and adventures and mastery exploration. The size of the map is not important, it is how much activity there is to do in those 3 zones that is the only thing we need to worry about. And that is something we simply do not have enough information on yet to give us an accurate judgement on the expansion’s size.

If the content in HoT keeps you entertained for a year or 2, or at least until the next big batch of content is released, would you still say the expansion is small? Just because the map dimensions are smaller? Or because we only have 1 new profession?

But to go over your negative points:

A new race only adds flavour.
The number of maps is irrelevant if the content within them is enough to keep us entertained for a good while.
Every new profession mechanic cannot be judged on only one example, some professions may be substantially different. Plus we do not yet know if the druids pets have anything different about them, they may still have pets but the pet’s skills may be drastically different. Or the druid may have access to certain pets the base ranger does not.
How do you know there is no underwater combat? Have you seen all the zones? Do you have a link from Anet stating there is no underwater combat? And even if there is no underwater content, this does not reduce the size of the maps or the amount of content.
New starter zones are merely tutorial areas, and therefore not that important if they are missing.
There may only be one new PvP map to start with but I am sure they will add more. The main thing is that we have a new mode to try out. It may not be much, but it is a start. I do agree more maps would be better, but this does not mean the entire expansion is small.
Have you a list of all the ledgendaries we will get? And when you say incomplete, compared to what?
No new dungeons, but we may get open world alternatives. And for all we know the personal story instances may double as mini dungeons when doing them with a full party. This might be a fantasy, but there is nothing to say otherwise. I can use negative space too.
No new weapons, but each profession gets to use an existing one they couldn’t before. All a new weapon is is new skills, and we will be getting that.
Not sure what you mean by having empty space for flying over and how this makes the expansion small. Or how the caves not being a full zone makes the zones small. These points do not make any sense.

You might think it is small because it doesn’t have the specific things you want to see. But you cannot say it is small when you haven’t seen everything it has to offer. All you can say is it doesn’t have some of the things you want it to have.

Compare this expansion to the latest WoW patch. The difference in the amount of content is staggering, and that’s for a patch. Not an expansion. Patch.

ANet is either waiting until the last minute to tell us all of the wonderful stuff they have created, or they are still developing the expansion and this beta test (that uses 99% of assets already available in-game) is basically a sham.

Chrispy.5641

To be fair for a second here, beta tests are usually shams, because any existing bugs and balance issues wouldn’t be fixed until after the release anyways except for the really big ones. (now, if this were the early 2000’s, when game companies still cared about releasing bug free games….)

That said, I think that Anet is just holding onto info for later, I just hope they don’t hold onto it until the month/week before release, because if they wait that long, then I’m not likely to care enough to get the expansion..

that also said….

People have been conditioned to think that map size (X & Y) and the number of new professions/classes and new levels, it what determines the size of an expansion. But that is how old MMO’s used to do it for years. Anet are trying something new. While they are still going with the traditional business model of an expansion, they are trying to take a different approach to the content.

the same way we were conditioned in 2010 after watching this amazing MMO manifesto that Anet brought forth about how different they and GW2 are from other MMOs, despite it being pretty much the same except for their signature lack of subscription fees and repeating public events that are endlessly repetitive…that replaced endlessly repetitive quests? Anet isn’t doing something that new with this expansion, and yes, I mean in respect to content.

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

Compare this expansion to the latest WoW patch. The difference in the amount of content is staggering, and that’s for a patch. Not an expansion. Patch.

ANet is either waiting until the last minute to tell us all of the wonderful stuff they have created, or they are still developing the expansion and this beta test (that uses 99% of assets already available in-game) is basically a sham.

Sadly, I must agree. I know people don’t like hearing it, but some of us know Living Story content on steroids when we see it. Please let’s not kid ourselves. The hype train went off the rails some months ago.

Gone to Reddit.

PorceleinEve.2973

Welp. I got nothing to do until the expansion hits, and I still can’t prepare for something I don’t know what to prepare for, still proving my original point. Anything else?

not true, you still got to catch up to your friends.. you noob

see? i knew it you were not prepared.

but jokes aside, i’ve said it many times, i’ll say it again, the information flow is troubling, it doesn’t give me the stuff i need to make an informed decision about my gaming, and to top it all off, i have this feeling that this is going to be one very small, very brief excuse of an expansion. it already feels like living story 3 + feature pack. they better make this thing cheap…

Aniltiger.9186

Alright…

First, There’s a little button on the bottom right of every post. Its a little black arrow, click it to quote. DON’T CHANGE ANYTHING, the forums will do it for you. It quotes properly every time, no need to edit any part of it.

Second, maxed on all the materials I’ll ever need for exotics, since there is no reason to ever go ascended, except for weapons, of which I already have several for each of my armor sets.

3rd, I have the following armor sets ::: (Beserker’s, Assassin’s, Cleric, Magix2, Rabid, and Rampager), all exotic, with the associated weapons I need for each build. I literally have an armor set for every and any situation.

No point in upgrading any to Ascended, maybe with the exception for Trinkets, and I already have several sets of ascended trinkets. (unless Anet wants to stop being lazy and release some ascended Magi trinkets…not likely)

So, there you have it. Can’t progressively prepare because I’m already prepared.

Prepare in general.

I already do Yoga, and I run 5k every two days. Talked to my parents on wed. on my birthday, My friends aren’t noobs, I’m actually worse than them, but I still love em. The meaning of life is Ramen Noodles, not the number 42,….if only it weren’t so unhealthy.

Seriously, what do you want? A special edition of HoT just for you because you already have everything you want and need in the game just so you can enjoy the game?

All I did was to give some friendly advice.

The expansion will be released when it’s ready. And ranting about it won’t make more information get published or a sooner release date.

Posted by: Bloodyx.5946

Bloodyx.5946

Who cares? You’re still going to buy the expansion. Correct me if I’m wrong.

no we aren’t going to buy a kittenty expansion for a 3 year old game. they need to prove its worth the money. they arent doing that. OP is spot on skrublet

Posted by: Lunar Sunset.8742

Lunar Sunset.8742

Who cares? You’re still going to buy the expansion. Correct me if I’m wrong.

no we aren’t going to buy a kittenty expansion for a 3 year old game. they need to prove its worth the money. they arent doing that. OP is spot on skrublet

I’m getting to that point where majority of my free gaming time is spent on ArcheAge…sure an expansion is a nice thought but I am seriously thinking GW2:HoT is lacking in content which is why they don’t really want to release a lot of info.

Sunset
50/50 GWAMM x3
I quit how I want

Posted by: webtoehobbit.4201

webtoehobbit.4201

Let’s face it, ANet doesn’t seem to get things just right on their first time around anything. Take Season 1 of the Living World for example, what a train wreck that was…

Now look at Season 2 of the Living World, perfection compared to the failure of Season 1, but ANet likes to test their content on us through live releases. I am convinced that Heart of Thorns will be a massive disappointment to the majority of the community cause this is their first GW2 expansion and well, like I said, they can’t seem to do things right the first time.

Don’t expect much from this expansion, if you are getting your hopes up, I feel sorry for you. Now the next expansion after this one disappoints on a massive scale and the community backlashes against ANet? Yeah, that one will be grand

Mar.4839

Most of us here aren’t clamoring for tons of content. We just mainly want to know about specializations and other features of the expansion that are going to be game-changers.

Arena Net doesn’t have to reveal anything that isn’t concrete yet but just like their blog post last week that looked into their idea design about masteries, something similar for specializations would be very welcomed.

Especially since we have no measurement of how different specializations will actually be since Arena Net has said one thing (that the specializations will change how you play a profession) but has revealed another (Rangers still utilize pets). People just want to get a general idea of just how much change in gameplay does a specialization bring to the table.

Of course you’re right on almost all accounts webtoehobbit. Their first iterations of things do tend to suck, and maybe that’s why they’re not happy enough with it to show to us yet.

Although I feel like player feedback could be very helpful in terms of identifying and pushing certain specializations to the vision Arena Net wants.

Posted by: anduriell.6280

anduriell.6280

Alright…

Prepare in general.

Or even better : Don’t .
you will be able to get the same or even better stuff once the expansion comes out , anyway we all know that after that we will go back to grinding to max materials, improve armour and stuff.

Also don’t get confused with i got everything this game can provide me with this game has everithing i can hope for .
Truly this game need some work, and an expansion is nice. Let’s just hope is a real expansion and not cashing up living story ep3 + skins because they didn’t sell that much in the gem store.

I TOLD YOU SO
Inverse to Apple: SBeast is the worst yet.. jurl jurl
I’m all in for Team Irenio!

(edited by anduriell.6280)

Posted by: layshu.7512

layshu.7512

I was excited to hear about the expansion but it’s been a while now. Also, I have a feeling that by the time it gets released I will know absolutely everything there is to it. This is even more so true because every bit of information gets repeated at least twice That said, I always have an option to stop following the news and wait for the release in perfect ignorance Thing is, this is of course not what I want to do.

My ideal expansion release time is short enough so that I’m still excited about it after the initial announcement, and even though after passionately digging for information I know a lot to plan ahead, some of the expansion’s components are still a mystery to me. So far, it seems it will take at the absolute least a couple more months, and by the release time the only unknown would be full landscape layout because you’ll need jumping / gliding / etc mastery to get into some areas.

PorceleinEve.2973

Truly this game need some work, and an expansion is nice. Let’s just hope is a real expansion and not cashing up living story ep3 + skins because they didn’t sell that much in the gem store.

Don’t get your hopes up, this isn’t a “real expansion”. at best this is a filler expansion/emergency back up plan cause the ls experiment failed, the china launch didn’t go as great as it should and they do need to make money. the real bet here will be if their -next expansion- (hopefully 1.5 years after hot) will be worth while… this one here, is just feature pack + living story 3, with some added fluff that they’re making up right now, hence the limited info. they can’t present us with stuff they haven’t done yet, and they need the time to do ‘em. so, stalling with posts about hylec races, blog posts about the people who do the blogposts, recaps, recaps of the recaps, recaps of the blogposts talking about the people who write the blogposts.. etc etc. they’re buying time here and everyone can tell, that’s why the white knighting is so strong. they need to convince themselves that all is well…

Posted by: bloodletting wolf.2837

bloodletting wolf.2837

Looking at the post history of negative forum posters is very informative. Most of them rarely have anything nice to say.

Kaa Mchorror NSP grenadier [hayt]

PorceleinEve.2973

Looking at the post history of negative forum posters is very informative. Most of them rarely have anything nice to say.

that doesn’t mean that what they say isn’t true…

forums are here to express concern and criticism. not to tell them what a great job they did. they’re not children, they don’t need encouragement other than the success of their product. criticism helps them make it successful.

if they do need encouragement and kind words, they should seek it out from their friends and the people who love them or their coworkers. do you go to the forums of your favourite mobile phone company and type a few kind and positive words for the people who designed or put together your phone? no? so why do you expect others to do that here? the customers are not here to perform positive energy rituals for the benefit of anet’s employees. the reward that we can and in fact do give them, is us buying their stuff. keeping that paycheck rolling every month is reward enough from any consumer. brand loyalty also. the rest, they will have to find elsewhere.

alternatively, please feel free to type your kind words here. nobody’s stopping you. really.

Posted by: Andred.1087

Andred.1087

that doesn’t mean that what they say isn’t true…

forums are here to express concern and criticism.

No, the forums are here for discussion. Concern and criticism are a part of that discussion, although they usually serve little purpose in this medium, as anybody with the cognitive skills to produce a barely-coherent sentence can come give their half-baked “criticism” and demand it be addressed, as if they’re experts on the subject matter or are otherwise entitled to any kind of official recognition. Frankly I think it’s a mistake that ANet has ever used the forums as a two-way communication medium with the players, as now they get kitteny whenever the staff doesn’t respond, even if it’s an issue that is clearly at the bottom of the company’s priorities.

Most of the negative people around here have nothing valuable to say. Non-constructive criticism is useless to ANet, and serves only to foster poisonous dialogue in the community. If you have a legitimate concern about the game, you can voice it in a constructive way. If you can’t do that, then the problem is not the game.

“You’ll PAY to know what you really think.” ~ J. R. “Bob” Dobbs

Posted by: Csele.1647

Csele.1647

They are running out of time.. and the expansion looks really poor.. i bet they are still trying to figure out what to do about "challenging content "
to sum it up :

gvg is a joke (just another pvp map)
1 new class (no dps class useless?)
“challenging content” = zerg bosses (maybe 3 or 5 open world bosses?)
mastery looks boring – except for gliding
wvw = new map (no comments since i lag in wvw)

The jungle and music look great as usual tho , if i buy the expansion it would be just to get the new items and explore new maps(with my legendarys).. because everything else looks boring .

no fractals
no pvp maps
no “real challenging stuff”
no dungeons
no fun

(edited by Csele.1647)

PorceleinEve.2973

No, the forums are here for discussion. Concern and criticism are a part of that discussion, although they usually serve little purpose in this medium, as anybody with the cognitive skills to produce a barely-coherent sentence can come give their half-baked “criticism” and demand it be addressed, as if they’re experts on the subject matter or are otherwise entitled to any kind of official recognition. Frankly I think it’s a mistake that ANet has ever used the forums as a two-way communication medium with the players, as now they get kitteny whenever the staff doesn’t respond, even if it’s an issue that is clearly at the bottom of the company’s priorities.

Most of the negative people around here have nothing valuable to say. Non-constructive criticism is useless to ANet, and serves only to foster poisonous dialogue in the community. If you have a legitimate concern about the game, you can voice it in a constructive way. If you can’t do that, then the problem is not the game.

You’re wrong, they serve the greatest purpose of all. To communicate the fact that folks are dissatisfied. That’s -all- they need to know. Constructive critisism is unecessary. I don’t get payed by arena net to propose solutions or make analyses of the parts of the game that don’t work. I’m the consumer. It’s not my job to be constructive. I -only- have to say that this is a problem for me. The rest is their job. All we have to do is express our concerns. And obviously we’d like our problems to be addressed. It’s the job of the consumer. As for the official recognition. That’s arena net’s choice. But eventually disatisfied customers go away. How they want to handle them is up to them obviously.

Most of the negative people around here already say the most important thing, they don’t like something. Non constructive critisism is the only critisism that can take place, since it’s not our job to solve the game’s problems for free. If that’s poisoning the dialogue in the community then they need to solve the problems faster, address them in the forums and produce positive results. All of the concerns are legitimate. If someone doesn’t like something, then he doesn’t like it, and it’s a very legitimate concern. Anet, or you, can’t tell people what they have the right to complain about or not. What matters in the end is the volume that each complaint is getting. That’s why we need folks to keep complaining about stuff. So they can gauge what are the most pressing issues with their customers.

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

You’re wrong, they serve the greatest purpose of all. To communicate the fact that folks are dissatisfied. That’s -all- they need to know. Constructive critisism is unecessary. I don’t get payed by arena net to propose solutions or make analyses of the parts of the game that don’t work. I’m the consumer. It’s not my job to be constructive. I -only- have to say that this is a problem for me. The rest is their job. All we have to do is express our concerns. And obviously we’d like our problems to be addressed. It’s the job of the consumer. As for the official recognition. That’s arena net’s choice. But eventually disatisfied customers go away. How they want to handle them is up to them obviously.

Most of the negative people around here already say the most important thing, they don’t like something. Non constructive critisism is the only critisism that can take place, since it’s not our job to solve the game’s problems for free. If that’s poisoning the dialogue in the community then they need to solve the problems faster, address them in the forums and produce positive results. All of the concerns are legitimate. If someone doesn’t like something, then he doesn’t like it, and it’s a very legitimate concern. Anet, or you, can’t tell people what they have the right to complain about or not. What matters in the end is the volume that each complaint is getting. That’s why we need folks to keep complaining about stuff. So they can gauge what are the most pressing issues with their customers.

In reference to the bolded, how is Anet supposed to know what you feel is wrong with something if you don’t let them know?

Anet: So you’ve said this is what’s wrong with it and this is how we’ll change it.

Consumer: Nope. I’m still not happy with it.

Anet: Like this?

Anet: What about this?

Consumer: Nope. I’m still not happy with it. Screw it, I’m going to another game.

Can you see the issue?

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Posted by: Zero Day.2594

Zero Day.2594

In reference to the bolded, how is Anet supposed to know what you feel is wrong with something if you don’t let them know?

Anet: So you’ve said this is what’s wrong with it and this is how we’ll change it.

Consumer: Nope. I’m still not happy with it. Screw it, I’m going to another game.

Can you see the issue?

Such a “consumer” can’t be bothered with, because whichever game they go to they will most likely complain that the dev’s aren’t listening in that game.

Thief Nerf/Change Wish List. Advice List
Join the TEEFs!

PorceleinEve.2973

Can you see the issue?

Nopes, that’s a gross mirepresentation….

let’s try it…

me – this expansion is small
anet – what’s wrong with it
me – no underwater combat, no new race, limited landmass, specs seem flaky, masteries feel like a grind, no new dungeons

that’s a critisism, don’t ask me to go about and solve these problems on my own for anet, i don’t get payed for that… and folks have been saying that, and that’s constructive enough. the problems have been outlined, don’t ask of the consumers to produce the solution too…

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

Can you see the issue?

Nopes, that’s a gross mirepresentation….

let’s try it…

me – this expansion is small
anet – what’s wrong with it
me – no underwater combat, no new race, limited landmass, specs seem flaky, masteries feel like a grind, no new dungeons

that’s a critisism, don’t ask me to go about and solve these problems on my own for anet, i don’t get payed for that… and folks have been saying that, and that’s constructive enough. the problems have been outlined, don’t ask of the consumers to produce the solution too…

Ahhh. I was interpreting the whole ‘just let them know you’re dissatisfied, constuctive criticism isn’t needed’.

What you just gave was an example of constructive criticism. It doesn’t need to propose solutions as long as it outlines the issues you see with it.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Posted by: Prototypemind.4026

Prototypemind.4026

It seems that whatever HoT brings, it will largely be simply a boxed season three. We won’t see all of the content at once, but those who buy it will get access to everything as it’s released. There will be more Legendary quests over time, perhaps additional masteries. Looking at it on its surface, I honestly think anyone who’s expecting a full-blown expansion will be heavily, heavily disappointed. Perhaps I’ll be wrong, but regardless, at the moment I’m spending more time on these forums every week than in the game by far.

Posted by: anduriell.6280

anduriell.6280

Don’t get your hopes up, this isn’t a “real expansion”. at best this is a filler expansion/emergency back up plan cause the ls experiment failed, the china launch didn’t go as great as it should and they do need to make money. the real bet here will be if their -next expansion- (hopefully 1.5 years after hot) will be worth while… this one here, is just feature pack + living story 3, with some added fluff that they’re making up right now, hence the limited info. they can’t present us with stuff they haven’t done yet, and they need the time to do ‘em. so, stalling with posts about hylec races, blog posts about the people who do the blogposts, recaps, recaps of the recaps, recaps of the blogposts talking about the people who write the blogposts.. etc etc. they’re buying time here and everyone can tell, that’s why the white knighting is so strong. they need to convince themselves that all is well…

Yes, i agree with your statement completely. As long as passes i’m more and more convinced this is just an smoke screen.
Also the GTA V online must have hurt the active player base.

I TOLD YOU SO
Inverse to Apple: SBeast is the worst yet.. jurl jurl
I’m all in for Team Irenio!

Posted by: Scoobaniec.9561

Scoobaniec.9561

Just checked “news”.. LS3 confirmed. Another recap..I dont even..

Cant w8 to that awesome next blog soon about “mushroom lore” or another recap.

Posted by: Relshdan.6854

Relshdan.6854

i would tend to agree w/ this presumption.
it is quite clear this will not have the quantity of content we’d expect from a proper expansion…..and that they are holding back info about the meatier pve aspects of HoT (specializations, guild halls, “challenging group content”, etc), as they are still being developed. id’ also wager they will continue to hold back this info until very near release/open betas as these are the items players will debate/ find fault in.

anyway….i’m fine with their version of a pseudo-expansion, as long as it’s priced appropriately….but one will likely be disappointed if they are expecting a typical expansion and will be driving themselves crazy waiting for info on the meatier features of the expansion. best to just play the game (or another) and ignore the expansion for the time being.

Chaos Organ (Ele), Pistol Opera (Thief), Modular Man (Eng)
MARA (EU) Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Akagami.9861

Akagami.9861

I get that the expansion will be smaller…and we won’t get much, and i’m okay with it…i still love the game…but i kind of hate how they sold it as this “huge expansion…full of change and inovation” … and they promised information…but all we get is recap after recap after recap..

Yes i know some of you will say that you wanted info about the hylek race…or about that arena net member…that writes stuff…and maybe you even wanted the recap of recaps of recaps of things said when they first announced the expac.

If they have nothing to tell us…i’d rather they just not say anything…instead of this…treating us as kids…giving us the same info over and over again like we wouldn’t notice…

Posted by: TheRandomGuy.7246

TheRandomGuy.7246

Just checked “news”.. LS3 confirmed. Another recap..I dont even..

Cant w8 to that awesome next blog soon about “mushroom lore” or another recap.

Recap of all recaps we had so far, a bit more lore about how gliders were invented and maybe a sentence about awesome rewards and/or challanges.

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

I have to admit, I’m surprised their public relations hasn’t put a lot more out there to hook players on the expansion. In fact, it’s one of the few times I’ve ever seen a company be so ambivalent about their press, promotion and product.

It’s just . . . strange.

But if PorceleinEve is right, and I believe he or she is, then it would explain a lot. A whole hell of a lot . . . sadly.

Be prepared for future threads that basically says, “Is that it?”

Gone to Reddit.

(edited by Ardenwolfe.8590)