Is HoT going to be all vertical?

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: bellabia.5091

bellabia.5091

If so I plan to skip it. Honestly if Guild Wars and it’s expansions had the ability to jump I’d just keep playing that.

Posted by: Siphaed.9235

Siphaed.9235

The answer is without a doubt YES!, They said this in the revial when mentioning that the expanion will have 3 different bioms: tree tops, mid jungle, and the root system underground. It will be much traversing areas up, down, and all around. They’re taking much design concepts from Silverwastes and Dry Top (similar to how each of those are far more improved upon ideals of what Orr should have been).

Posted by: bellabia.5091

bellabia.5091

Oh, that is so depressing. I did not play GW1 for years and years since it’s release, in order to fly. I did not play GW2 since it’s release, in order to fly. The Silver Wastes, is just that, a waste

Posted by: TaCktiX.6729

TaCktiX.6729

Well, Heart of Thorns will be substantially prettier than Dry Top and the Silverwastes, so at least it’s not a pile of sand.

The verticality of it seems like it’s semi-optional if you don’t want to go to every nook and cranny. Sure, a glider will be a requisite early on, but endless jumping puzzles everywhere wouldn’t be a good thing for map design or keeping player interest.

So I’d hold off on seeing what it is in practice, before saying “well, vertical = jumping everywhere = major turnoff.”

I just used wait and see. Oh gosh, what is wrong with me.

— TaCktiX
The Tough Love Critic (http://toughlovecritic.wordpress.com)
Tack Scylla, Tack, Morina Duathi

Posted by: Gaaroth.2567

Gaaroth.2567

There will be much verticality, and that’s what makes a map interesting, since in the same volume you can build so much more content.

Will you need to glide and mushroom hop? surely, but not 24/7

Can’t quite get why people is so scared of verticality, it adds so much dept (and not only literally )

Tempest & Druid
Wat r u, casul?

Posted by: Dondarrion.2748

Dondarrion.2748

Don’t despair yet; the map seems huge even with its verticality. It doesn’t look like it will be like Labyrinthine Cliffs in that you have to maneuver through narrow platforms all the time. The new zone seems to be made up of 3 layers and whereas there will be platforms, it also looks like you’ll have plenty of room to move about on these without risk of falling down.

Lord Sazed / Hasla the Huntress / Seaguard Hala
Seamarshal Belit / Initiate Xun Tsu / Mistwarden Roshone
Seafarer’s Rest | Northerner @ Dragon Season

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

Oh, that is so depressing. I did not play GW1 for years and years since it’s release, in order to fly. I did not play GW2 since it’s release, in order to fly. The Silver Wastes, is just that, a waste

Silverwastes? Don’t you mean Dry Top? Dry Top had the Zypherite jumping abilities. The only jumping really in Silverwastes was the JP.

Can’t quite get why people is so scared of verticality, it adds so much dept (and not only literally )

Well some people did have real issues with Dry Top, such as physical disability that made jumping difficult.

Posted by: Gaaroth.2567

Gaaroth.2567

Silverwastes? Don’t you mean Dry Top? Dry Top had the Zypherite jumping abilities. The only jumping really in Silverwastes was the JP.

Well some people did have real issues with Dry Top, such as physical disability that made jumping difficult.

Don’t want to troll or anything, i’m genuinely curious and naive: how and which disability prevents one from doing jumping puzzles? i mean, can’t really be a coordination issue since for combat and many other stuffs they seems to handle just fine, and JP really are nothing hardcore (sure some of them are crazy, but ain’t mandatory content) and at worst in Dry Top you had to use some jumping booster to navigate around …
ò_ò

Tempest & Druid
Wat r u, casul?

Posted by: teh persun.6517

teh persun.6517

Well it can’t be literally all vertical, as that isn’t how gravity works. There will obviously be flat, level areas, but it seems like it will be more vertical than other maps in the past.

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

I don’t get your point, Bellabia. So for you, jumping and flying are ok, but verticality is not? What’s the point of jumping and “flying” (Gliding, in this case) if there isn’t a 3dr dimension in the map?

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks