Is lion's arch getting fixed in the xpac?

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Blix.8021

Blix.8021

Just logged on for first time in a while, sad to see LA still ugly and ruined.

Posted by: Gulesave.5073

Gulesave.5073

In the announcement, they went out of their way more than once to point out that LA is still in ruins, describing this as the “current” state of affairs. The hint couldn’t have been more obvious if he was winking and nudging at us with his elbow, methinks.

I should be writing.

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

I’ll see if we can give more than a wink and a nudge about this sometime soon.

I was thinking last night when I did one of the vistas — yes, I can’t get enough of vistas! — that I’m so looking forward to LA returning to its former beauty. On the other hand, I know how much the devs have on their respective plates, so I’m trying to be real patient.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Posted by: Endo Kazuki.2086

Endo Kazuki.2086

Please rebuild LA. I also hate to see it still being ugly and ruined. Want the hub feeling back!

Posted by: Nyres.6254

Nyres.6254

I’m sorry Gaile but its been a year now for your supposed living world its pretty pathetic that Lions Arch hasn’t been rebuilt yet. And if after 2 years of development on the Expansion you still can’t say if it will be fixed then my assumtion is no it won’t be.

Posted by: Smallclaw.1650

Smallclaw.1650

I’m sorry Gaile but its been a year now for your supposed living world its pretty pathetic that Lions Arch hasn’t been rebuilt yet. And if after 2 years of development on the Expansion you still can’t say if it will be fixed then my assumtion is no it won’t be.

ANet’s focus has obviously been on other things. Considering you’re on the outside, looking in, let’s stop assuming you know what it’s like to be in their position. They are working on many things at once, and frankly, while we would love for Lion’s Arch to be rebuilt, it’s not necessarily a top priority.

:-)

(edited by Smallclaw.1650)

Posted by: Dasenthal.6520

Dasenthal.6520

Not really… If lion’s arch was rebuilt we would just move on from S1 and that would be kind of sad to move on and forget all the important things that happened in Tyria the first year of the game.

However it would be nice for the gradual improvements discussed many times before. Personally, my favorite idea was doing a series of events in LA where players help rebuild LA.

“A conquered people will always resist you,
Edair. But allies-allies will fight by your side”~Cobiah Mariner

Posted by: Abdulaziz.1496

Abdulaziz.1496

I don’t want the old LA, if they’re going to rebuild it then I want a new LA.
I personally like this LA, though it is ugly I like how close the crafting stations from the TP and the Mystic toilet.

I’m more conserned about what we’ll get while waiting for the x-pac since I’m pretty sure we’ll be waiting for at least 8 months

Posted by: Jade Arkadian.9280

Jade Arkadian.9280

Rebuild it to destroy it again! Muahahahah!
Huh…sorry, I’m not evil anymore… But I like city destruction though…

Posted by: Genesis.8572

Genesis.8572

I was thinking last night when I did one of the vistas — yes, I can’t get enough of vistas! — that I’m so looking forward to LA returning to its former beauty. On the other hand, I know how much the devs have on their respective plates, so I’m trying to be real patient.

I hope it is not restored to how it was, but actually reflects its prior destruction.

Will Hawkins (Human Guardian)
Feryl Grimsteel (Charr Engineer)
Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

I have to disagree. Within the first year it would have seemed implausible for a city to be rebuilt. As for Gaile being unable to answer, well im partly under the impression that as a non developer, she does not have that info (especially looking at some of her posts since announcement). Even if I am wrong and she does, they have been pretty clear info will be forthcoming over the next few weeks in their deep dives.

As Anet simply do not announce significant pve developments on their forum, id hold off and wait until their official responses on the main site before making judgements, no matter how frustrating or not that may be.

Posted by: Will Dissolver.5941

Will Dissolver.5941

Rebuild it to destroy it again! Muahahahah!
Huh…sorry, I’m not evil anymore… But I like city destruction though…

Right?

Waaaaaaaay back when, one of the moments in gaming that really blew my mind was from Asheron’s Call, back in 1999. Patch day comes… and these giant floating towers have erupted from the ground, and blown up one of the central cities.

ANet handled city destruction better; logging in after that patch in AC, if your toon was in town when you logged out, meant a ~1000 foot fall to the bottom of the crater where the city used to be, followed by begging for a rez.

But it was an amazing moment.

Watching Scarlet’s airship fleet come down around the city was an awesome moment.

Honestly, I’m looking forward to “rebuilt Lion’s Arch” way, way less than I am the day in the distant future when they release all that lovely LWS1 content as story journal episodes. I know it’s a monumental task, since they’ll have to significantly rewrite most of that content to work the way the newer LW episodes have, but if it ever happens I will be absolutely delighted.

Posted by: Lumiere.4609

Lumiere.4609

So, some of us were asked at the party Saturday Evening by Colin what we wanted to see from a rework of Lions Arch (my answer was “Anything as long as it isn’t Kaineng”, and it got a good laugh)

Yagami Yukari- 80 Sylvari Guardian | Yagami Vita – 80 Human Ele
Strike Force – Jade Quarry

Posted by: datawais.7209

datawais.7209

Yeah, I was thinking about Arwic too when LA got destroyed.

Posted by: Straylight.7529

Straylight.7529

I think a good time for the restoration of LA would be right after the defeat of Mordremoth since he was indirectly responsible for it. I doubt Mordremoth will be accessible right when HoT launches but rather some time later. Therefore I think we will see rebuilt LA within HoT but towards the end rather than the beginning.

Posted by: KittyCat.2059

KittyCat.2059

I would like to see a new version of LA being beautiful with elements of old LA’s so we dont forget the past. I would enjoy something like a city of all races, different elements of each. I think the gateways could stand out more especially for newer players adding elements around them. i.e. snow around norn gateway , tree branches around sylvarri, etc.

having different events throughout would be fun.

Posted by: Gulesave.5073

Gulesave.5073

Not sure if many of you have noticed, but the denizens of LA have indeed been making gradual progress. Not so much on the clearing of rubble, strangely, but they have been at work putting up some new structures here and there. There are new bridges and ramps popping up, a new hidden bar, and other little tidbits. You just have to go out of your way to explore occasionally to spot what they’re doing.

I should be writing.

Posted by: mugen.4763

mugen.4763

snip yes, snip LA returning to its former beauty snip

confirmed!

Mugen Tsukuyomi [ABC]
Sorrow’s Furnace

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

So, some of us were asked at the party Saturday Evening by Colin what we wanted to see from a rework of Lions Arch (my answer was “Anything as long as it isn’t Kaineng”, and it got a good laugh)

There have been forum threads on it before. I’ll reiterate my desire: Something that feels like a bustling trade hub, not a small sleepy seaside resort. DR is the only real city in the game, to my mind, because you can see places that can hold a large population and the streets are bustling. All the other game cities only have representative areas that require a strong imagination to see as an urban environment holding vast numbers of occupants.

Posted by: Samarak.7519

Samarak.7519

Agree with most of the sentiments here. LA needs to have reminders of the past, but not be the same as it once was. Anet should also take this chance to move the bank and TP closer to each other… OR!

Better yet a patch that would allow us to keep our banks open as long as we were in the map, like GW1 had. It’s probably a server load issue though so that may not be plausible.

I really hope Living story season 1 is a priority. IT is kind of important leading into the expansion. New players keep saying they are lost. The lack of its availability is a barrier to returning for many. Even if some of the harder things to recreate were just cut-scenes.

Also, I wonder if leading up to expansion release we will get the back-story of Rytlock and his journey, or if that will be just told in the expansion.

Loving the game, thanks Anet.

Posted by: Rognik.2579

Rognik.2579

Even if all of Lion’s Arch doesn’t get fixed, can we at least get the lion statue in the center of town working again? Aside from 2 months at the beginning of the game, and maybe another one or two before Scarlet destroyed the town, it’s been in this half-broken state. I bet a lot of players have never seen it working.

Posted by: Levetty.1279

Levetty.1279

Hopefully Kryta moves in and kicks out those murderous pirates and then rebuild it themselves.

Posted by: Arashi Skysunder.9251

Arashi Skysunder.9251

Hey, I remember that! It was nice to be asked about what LA should look like in the future, and I think everyone in the circle agreed that it should reflect the past but not repeat it (that it would bear marks of what it’s been through, in whatever form that may take).

Can’t wait. I miss LA.

SBI. Sylvari ranger Vine, of Sunder and Lightning (SaL).

[GW1 summer 2005 until GW2 beta in 2012.]

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Needs to be rebuilt to be more than a shantytown as it was pre-Scarlet.

Seriously.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: Kenarino.9231

Kenarino.9231

Please fix Fort Marriner Waypoint, its all I ever wanted.

Posted by: Jaken.6801

Jaken.6801

hope it is not just a pop and all is ready.
To be honest. Work on the city should have started half a year ago, though i get that there is limited staff for that.

Maybe you could start on that in preparation to HoT?
I am at least relieved that some bridges are fixed.

Posted by: Abdulaziz.1496

Abdulaziz.1496

Please fix Fort Marriner Waypoint, its all I ever wanted.

Mordermoth broke it. We need to kill it first.

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

If/when LA is rebuilt, I hope it takes a GW1 look more. I wasn’t a fan of all the boats everywhere. But giving that there are bits of the breach maker everywhere, it will probably more metal than anything.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: Dondarrion.2748

Dondarrion.2748

I’m guessing LA will not be repaired until after Mordremoth is defeated (or unlikely event that we fail… :P).
Justification for that is that all focus is on Maguuma Jungle and the imminent threat of the very dragon whose “champion” (Scarlet) destroyed LA in the first place. While the threat is not gone, who would prioritise to rebuild a city from rubble then?
Add to that, the Pact Fleet just got annihilated during their assault on Maguuma Jungle.
The allies have suffered two major blows and Mordremoth doesn’t really seem weakened apart from being short of one champion (Shadow of the Dragon). Hence, all resources are going into war budgets and when our future is guaranteed to continue and Mordremoth no longer looms, then LA should begin to see reconstruction.

AND I hope it’ll be that windy, lofty city we saw in an early video in 2009 (check out WP’s videos) with airships moored to the different pillars in LA. You’d think the city realises its vulnerability from sea attacks by taking to habitats in the air and we could see this really great city reminiscent of Labyrinthine Cliffs.

My two pence anway.

Lord Sazed / Hasla the Huntress / Seaguard Hala
Seamarshal Belit / Initiate Xun Tsu / Mistwarden Roshone
Seafarer’s Rest | Northerner @ Dragon Season

Posted by: nehkz.2304

nehkz.2304

I really hope not.

Considering that there was a city looking place in the start of the trailer, I think we’ll go there instead.

Lenses – Engineer

Random Dodgers [rD] – http://rdguild.com

Posted by: Getefix.9150

Getefix.9150

kiel isnt doing her job, shes taking donations and using them to go on exotic holidays with magnus, if i were in charge, tents and accomodation would be the first things i rebuilt, followed closely by bridges and roads, its been nearly a year and im still falling through bridge holes….

after fixing infrastructure, i would commence on dismantling the huge metal eyesores that are everywhere (they’re held together with bolts apparently so how hard could it be?)

i think evon gnashblade would have had this city fixed by now

“Nothing is true, Everything is permitted”

Kiel Replacement Movement

Posted by: UnrealUK.9506

UnrealUK.9506

cough Build a dam, drain Lion’s Arch port as it exists and have us restore the original, ancient Lion’s Arch from GW, a symbol of reclaiming your heritage from the Dragons cough

Tarian Thalberg ~ Warrior ~ Lux Arcana [LUX]
Gandara

Posted by: DeathRogue.5492

DeathRogue.5492

IDK what anyones even crying about. a city this big could and would take years to be fully rebuilt. I admit I was a little surprised seeing the place in Ruins but hell I had been away for so long I had to actually ask. if it get’s fixed it gets fixed. if not Then oh well. this is how a living world works I believe.

Posted by: Bolbo Baggins.8594

Bolbo Baggins.8594

Who knows we will get a beautiful new city with the expansion. Time will tell. Personally never was a big fan of LA (2.0 was it? or 3.0 maybe).

(edited by Bolbo Baggins.8594)

Posted by: synfullydevine.3642

synfullydevine.3642

I know anet has heard time and time again. With HoT coming i will put my 2 cents in. Thinking it took a shorter time to rebuild the effects of Katrina. Cmon already. We get it. Now its just annoying. Along with not saving build templates

Posted by: Derigar.7810

Derigar.7810

Would be a very fun Living Patch if we could have world events that would fix parts of Lion’s Arch. Efforts would count server-wide and after X-resources are gathered or X-events are completed, we would have restored a part of Lion’s Arch.

Such a world event could last for months if they choose so, and thus the community would choose the rate at which LA would get restored back to its former glory!

Posted by: Venatorn.7619

Venatorn.7619

^ this guy knows what’s up … completely agree

All proffesions 80

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Would be a very fun Living Patch if we could have world events that would fix parts of Lion’s Arch. Efforts would count server-wide and after X-resources are gathered or X-events are completed, we would have restored a part of Lion’s Arch.

Such a world event could last for months if they choose so, and thus the community would choose the rate at which LA would get restored back to its former glory!

Heck, schedule it for a downtime when nothing else is going on. Start with repairing Fort Marriner (yes, the waypoint too).

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: Selagee.1689

Selagee.1689

Better than fixing LA, why not just a whole new main hub in the expansion! That is a definite possibility considering we aren’t them and have no idea!

Posted by: Vexander.9850

Vexander.9850

Former, “Glory,” is a bit of a misnomer. Everytime I went to LA I cringed over the splinters and tetnis shots my character would need after they finished being there. I don’t suppose it’d simply be possible to get a new and improved LA? Now seems like the time to do it.

Posted by: Nemizar.6152

Nemizar.6152

Why LA? Why dont we build another great city?I mean this LA wasnt the old LA.We should maybe build another great city hub in Maguuma jungle

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

Why LA? Why dont we build another great city?I mean this LA wasnt the old LA.We should maybe build another great city hub in Maguuma jungle

You got that right.

Attachments:

synfullydevine.3642

I mainly dont care if its la again. But a personel bit is history jas proven this city keeps getting battered. Heres a lore. Divinity reach gets anhilated in the midst while jenna telepayhically calls logan for help. He reaches the gates of divinities reach. Rushing in as he always does to save his beloved queen a pillar topples on top of him and logan again dies mindlessly rushing in as logan always does. This time permanantly. Now we all rebuild divinity to be

synfullydevine.3642

cont..The new hub. Droid glitch

Posted by: Alga.6498

Alga.6498

I want a new LA... like the BETA LA in the early videos.. it looked so much awesomer!

|GW1 2008~|GW2 BETA player|Separatist|Nightmare Court|Ebonhawke|Ascalon|White Mantle|71 characters|

Posted by: Shanna.4762

Shanna.4762

I want a “new” Lions Arch, too. I don’t want it to be what it was before, it needs to look significantly different…Otherwise, what was the point? Perhaps under the new leadership, new ideas for LA could be incorporated. New architecture, new uses for the pirate ship theme, more opulant palatial buildings to show off the perseverance of Lion’s Arch and the wealth of Black Lion Trade and most importantly, the hustle & bustle should be doubled or tripled with NPC’s wandering around living their lives…Because it’s a port city, and I’ve always felt like it seemed as though nobody actually -lived- there.

That being said, I actually would prefer new cities to be built, as said above in Maguuma, as well as the rebuilding of Orr in the future. (I really, really wanna see a restored and healed Orr. Badly. One day.)

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

ANet’s focus has obviously been on other things. Considering you’re on the outside, looking in, let’s stop assuming you know what it’s like to be in their position. They are working on many things at once, and frankly, while we would love for Lion’s Arch to be rebuilt, it’s not necessarily a top priority.

:-)

They have. If you track how much new material they’ve been putting out with Living Story (which is a surprising amount when you add it up for S1, it just doesn’t feel like it because they took a lot of it away again) you can make a pretty good estimate on when level design likely began in earnest for HoT.

There have been forum threads on it before. I’ll reiterate my desire: Something that feels like a bustling trade hub, not a small sleepy seaside resort. DR is the only real city in the game, to my mind, because you can see places that can hold a large population and the streets are bustling. All the other game cities only have representative areas that require a strong imagination to see as an urban environment holding vast numbers of occupants.

I think the racial capitals fit fairly well, actually. Rata Sum has a lot of the city-cube unexplorable – most of the accommodations are probably lower down. Sylvari don’t strike me as being especially populous, and for a plant-person, sleeping anywhere on a lower level where you’re not likely to be tripped over by somebody is probably enough shelter. Ebonhawke, while not a capital, has lots of housing, while the Black Citadel doesn’t feel as bustling or as populated as Divinity’s Reach – but if you look at their farming methods and likely calorie requirements, I wouldn’t expect the Black Citadel to sustain even close to the population Divinity’s Reach can carry.

Of course, you need to account for video game scaling – all of the ‘capitals’ are really smaller than they should be, including Divinity’s Reach (DR is better at giving the impression of a metropolis, but if you actually ran around and calculated how many people could live there? Even accounting for the unexplorable sections?). The only one that might actually be to scale is Hoelbrak – it never claims to be more than a set of big lodges, and that’s exactly what we see.

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

Posted by: KrisHQ.4719

KrisHQ.4719

I dont get it, someone enlighten me: Why do people want LA to be rebuilt?

Lysis Kawahara – D/D Elementalist
Zaphiel Faires – DPS Guardian

Posted by: Straylight.7529

Straylight.7529

I dont get it, someone enlighten me: Why do people want LA to be rebuilt?

“Theory of mind – the ability to attribute mental states to oneself and others to understand that other people have beliefs, desires and intentions that are different from one’s own.”

I hope you are enlightened now

(edited by Straylight.7529)

Posted by: Mental Paradox.3845

Mental Paradox.3845

That hellhole of pirates and traitors deserves its fate.