Leftover Mastery Points Shop?

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Mirage.6754

Mirage.6754

Q:

TL,DR: Leftover Mastery points used as a currency?

With Heart of Thorns ending, Maguuma masteries seem to be at an end;

However, mastery points have been spread out over the jungle to make sure people wouldn’t be funneled into doing EVERY specific thing to get the mastery points.
Now that we can not invest any more in that category (unless proven otherwise), those who’ve reached the max Mastery Points might have leftovers (I have 15 personally, and haven’t done raids other than Wing1 so missing quite a few).

Could a shop selling account-bound features be added to use those mastery points? (rare acc-bound minis, home instance features, etc.)
It would give an incentive to completionists to do Mastery-related content, or reward those who did already a bit.

Edit: The shop would only be accessible once you reach the max in all masteries of that type

(edited by Mirage.6754)

Posted by: killermanjaro.5670

killermanjaro.5670

A:

If a vendor offered non-essential loot then I can’t see the problem in being able to trade excess HoT mastery points for something. As long as the items offered were non-essential, and there were no items that gave an advantage or were exclusive to that vendor then it wouldn’t make a difference to anyone. (items like a rare, or bag of crafting materials, bag of HoT map currency etc). Wouldn’t put any pressure on people to go for all masteries, would just be a minor extra for if you have an excess of them.

The only thing I would have against the idea, is that I can’t see it being worth the time/effort to add into the game, even if it’s something that might not take long to implement. Afterall once you’ve spent your excess points, which would probably be done in one go, then that vendor would be redundant and pointless to have in the game. So it doesn’t seem worth it just to give the option for some people to gain a bit of extra loot, the equivalent of which could probably be gained by half hour of gameplay anyway.

Also as mentioned you already get some extra AP for getting extra masteries as a reward.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

That would be counter productive. The extra points available is to allow for flexibility in how/where people get the point. IF they wanted everyone to get all the points then there would only be exactly enough to max out everything.

Mirage.6754

That would be counter productive. The extra points available is to allow for flexibility in how/where people get the point. IF they wanted everyone to get all the points then there would only be exactly enough to max out everything.

That is my point exactly! They don’t want to do that, so they added extra. So can we get something out of those extras if they have no other use?

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

That is my point exactly! They don’t want to do that, so they added extra. So can we get something out of those extras if they have no other use?

Um, that’s what “extra” means — that they are surplus to requirements (although you do get an AP each, so they aren’t worthless). Adding a sink for them would mean putting more pressure on players to get every last one. That’s counter to ANet’s intent — they just added 9 points to core Tyria specifically to reduce pressure.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

If it helps, think of it like a bank account. You have extra money in there in case you need it for future needs (i.e. masteries). Just cause it’s there don’t mean you have to spend it.

Posted by: Serpentes.3894

Serpentes.3894

I like this suggestion. As said it will give players a reason to actually do the extras. As mentioned its not obligatory but since yo uwalk the extra mile, might as well get smth for them.

It doesn’t have to be anything super special, just something Maybe even another achievement if you have them all to get a title or smth. “Master of Thorns” or w/e

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

I like this suggestion. As said it will give players a reason to actually do the extras. As mentioned its not obligatory but since yo uwalk the extra mile, might as well get smth for them.

It doesn’t have to be anything super special, just something Maybe even another achievement if you have them all to get a title or smth. “Master of Thorns” or w/e

This suggestion comes with the caveat of: what are you going to do when you’ve used up all your spare mastery points, and you don’t have enough in the next expac/episode to get whatever masteries you’d like to get?

You know somebody’s going to fall into that situation, and kitten about it on the forums. So, if you’re for this idea, what do you propose for the above problem?

Mirage.6754

This is why I’ve used specifically Maguuma Masteries as my example! As far as I know, it is the last time we will get new masteries for those regions.

Now before you tell me "what if they want to add a map outside those regions?‘, let us be frank: Bitterfrost Frontier isn’t in Maguuma, yet its mastery line is in “Maguuma Jungle” because it’s been released during HoT. If they want to add future maps with new masteries, they have the new expansions’ mastery points for that.

It would be a nice feature to “close up” an expansion to move forward towards another; a little extra reward for those who’ve gone the extra mile. (wink at the Expansion Announcement here)

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

That edit makes it worse. Now there is added pressure to max all masteries besides whatever benefits the masteries are supposed to provide. This is also true with regards to spirit shards and there seems to be plenty of negative feedback from just that already. Adding another reason for more negative feedback does not seem like a great move.

Illconceived Was Na.9781

If there’s something we could do with mastery points besides the current uses, they wouldn’t be “extra”.

Posted by: marelooke.9708

marelooke.9708

It would give an incentive to completionists to do Mastery-related content, or reward those who did already a bit.

If completionists require an incentive then they, by definition, are not.

And I pretty much agree with all the points previously brought up of why this would be a bad idea.

Posted by: warmonkey.3709

warmonkey.3709

How many extra mastery points are there? I am currently looking into pushing towards 193 but still need to know how many total extra points there are so I can pick and choose what to do.

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

I made this suggesting before, but many people seem convinced we should keep the surplus for potential future heart of thorns masteries. I honestly don’t believe that.
Out you finished all the HoT masteries the points are basically dead. Why not reward the players who went the extra few miles and create a vendor with non-essential loot? But make sure access is restricted to people who completed the masteries to avoid accidental over spending

Posted by: Uzunari.1964

Uzunari.1964

I don’t think that shop is good idea for all the reasons mentioned above. On the other hand I see no reason why couldn’t any additional masteries, once you max all trees, turn into AP (for example). Instead of stacking worthless masteries you could get 10 AP for each mastery you cannot use anymore…

Posted by: marelooke.9708

marelooke.9708

How many extra mastery points are there? I am currently looking into pushing towards 193 but still need to know how many total extra points there are so I can pick and choose what to do.

Did you check the Wiki? The information is on there.

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

Um, that’s what “extra” means — that they are surplus to requirements (although you do get an AP each, so they aren’t worthless). Adding a sink for them would mean putting more pressure on players to get every last one. That’s counter to ANet’s intent — they just added 9 points to core Tyria specifically to reduce pressure.

Precisely true and I’m very grateful they added those 9 points. The lack of or difficulty in getting Mastery Points was a very common complaint about the Mastery system. The key thing to remember here is that they are not a currency in the same way that Hero Points are not a currency.

The danger of turning them into a currency is that once they give people the ability to spend them then ArenaNet will never be able to add another Mastery that requires those Points, it effectively ends that entire Mastery system. Now, they probably never will add another HoT or Core Tyria Mastery (at least not without adding a bunch of new Points) but at least they keep the option.

Amaimon.7823

Precisely true and I’m very grateful they added those 9 points. The lack of or difficulty in getting Mastery Points was a very common complaint about the Mastery system. The key thing to remember here is that they are not a currency in the same way that Hero Points are not a currency.

The danger of turning them into a currency is that once they give people the ability to spend them then ArenaNet will never be able to add another Mastery that requires those Points, it effectively ends that entire Mastery system. Now, they probably never will add another HoT or Core Tyria Mastery (at least not without adding a bunch of new Points) but at least they keep the option.

That is assuming anet will ever add more HoT masteries which I profoundly doubt.
I have zero reason to believe that there will ever be more HoT masteries, HoT and LS3 are done, we go to the CD with elonian mastery points now.

Pifil.5193

That is assuming anet will ever add more HoT masteries which I profoundly doubt.
I have zero reason to believe that there will ever be more HoT masteries, HoT and LS3 are done, we go to the CD with elonian mastery points now.

You must have missed the part where I said “they probably never will add another HoT or Core Tyria Mastery”.

Amaimon.7823

You must have missed the part where I said “they probably never will add another HoT or Core Tyria Mastery”.

I’m co-confirming that.
So the whole argument of being careful with leftover HoT MP’s is kinda quaggan to me.

Mirage.6754

If a vendor offered non-essential loot then I can’t see the problem in being able to trade excess HoT mastery points for something. As long as the items offered were non-essential, and there were no items that gave an advantage or were exclusive to that vendor then it wouldn’t make a difference to anyone. (items like a rare, or bag of crafting materials, bag of HoT map currency etc). Wouldn’t put any pressure on people to go for all masteries, would just be a minor extra for if you have an excess of them.

The only thing I would have against the idea, is that I can’t see it being worth the time/effort to add into the game, even if it’s something that might not take long to implement.

I completely agree with you on that! I don’t know the time necessary to set-up and NPC (especially with those restrictions), nor the time to turn mobs/NPCs into Minis.

On another topic someone brought up, there are 216 mastery points you can get for HoT; out of which 113 are useable. So someone who goes that (almost insane imo!) extra mile to get those 103 extra points does it only for Completionist’s sake right now.

A variant of a shop could be a collection that unlocks after reaching max masteries in that region (devs have complete control over what the max is, so that point is moot), with achievements every few additional points you stack up. That removes the need for an NPC, and can give access to titles which are only given through achievements ususally, and any reward they deem cool for such achievements.

Edit: About the “another useless NPC once you buy all of the stuff” though… how many Heart-Quest NPCs are there in the game? Or just walking around not even talking. I don’t feel like a single NPC is really a big deal, but I’m the one who made the post, so what do I know!

(edited by Mirage.6754)

Illconceived Was Na.9781

• There are 216 mastery points for HoT zones; it takes 144 to max.
  • There are 78 points for core and it takes 49 to max.

But each of those points also comes with AP and sometimes other rewards, so it’s not as if someone goes the extra mile/km without anything to show for it. Even a completionist does it to, you know, complete things.

The main point is that the excess is specifically intended to give us options about what we do to unlock. As long as ANet believes that having options is better than making people feel forced to unlock them all, they aren’t going to offer non-mastery sinks for the points.

Posted by: Klipso.8653

Klipso.8653

I’ve talked about something like this myself.

Yes you’d need to only make it avaliable after cap is reached because people will waste them then cry on the forums about not having enough.

It would be nice to have the extras be worth something, but I think it’s a more exciting idea that they could always add in new lines If they wanted to.

Amaimon.7823

Were not arguing that the excess points are made for the purpose of mobility freedom, to choose your own content. Were arguing whether not the purpose of the excess points should have a second purpose for people who went the extra mile.
As an adventurer, im just annoyed at looking at currency with nothing to spend it on. I have a lot of spare points and theyre just making dust-angels and dust-men, theyre having dustball fights and sing dustmas charols

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Were not arguing that the excess points are made for the purpose of mobility freedom, to choose your own content. Were arguing whether not the purpose of the excess points should have a second purpose for people who went the extra mile.

And we’re trying to explain that if there is such a (second) purpose to surplus points, they are not surplus anymore. The only way they can be surplus is if they don’t give you anything you might want. If they are truly an “extra”.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Illconceived Was Na.9781

As an adventurer, im just annoyed at looking at currency with nothing to spend it on.

Stop looking?

The points exist specifically as a way to offer so-called horizontal progression. Extra points exist so that no one feels pressured to do every unlock, that people have the freedom to choose to do certain points or not.

If you can explain how ANet can indulge your preference to have a zero balance of mastery points and maintain the goals above, I’m sure they’d love to hear about it. So far, I haven’t seen anything in this thread that does.

Amaimon.7823

As an adventurer, im just annoyed at looking at currency with nothing to spend it on.

Stop looking?

The points exist specifically as a way to offer so-called horizontal progression. Extra points exist so that no one feels pressured to do every unlock, that people have the freedom to choose to do certain points or not.

If you can explain how ANet can indulge your preference to have a zero balance of mastery points and maintain the goals above, I’m sure they’d love to hear about it. So far, I haven’t seen anything in this thread that does.

People keep repeating the same argumeny:
“Excess points exist so people are not pressurec into doing a fixed set of things but have options/freedom"
Again, we’re not arguing this, and the last thing I want is for a lack of freedom.
The entire discussion is about, what to do with the extra points after everything’s been unlocked.
I, individually, am just a bit annoyed at seeing all these points in my wallet without anything to use them on, hence, a secondary purpose that is in no way a considerable obligation isnt asking for much.
Im thinking of.. a bag of rare gear, or a VI crafting bag, something like that.
Casuals will have their excess points, and therefore, their freedom, while adventurers have a little extra reward.
As for your point, “don’t look at them”, well, I’d have no objection to anet zero’ing the counter and removing the visibility of mastery points on achievements once everything’s been maxed. Its kind of like.. what if Mordrem Blooms still dropped but there was no vendor, you see them pile up in your wallet never able to do anything with them.. wouldnt that raise your eyebrows?

Amaimon.7823

And we’re trying to explain that if there is such a (second) purpose to surplus points, they are not surplus anymore. The only way they can be surplus is if they don’t give you anything you might want. If they are truly an “extra”.

Why do you want them to be a surplus after all the masteries have been unlocked? What would you get out of that? I dont see the point of advocating inactivity? If you like dead mastery points you are by all means free to not use them, but how would it hurt you if others chose to use their excess points? Remember, the whole discussion is about what to do with extra points after a player has unlocked everything, not prior to it

Illconceived Was Na.9781

“Excess points exist so people are not pressurec into doing a fixed set of things but have options/freedom"
Again, we’re not arguing this, and the last thing I want is for a lack of freedom.
The entire discussion is about, what to do with the extra points after everything’s been unlocked.

People keep repeating that because you keep repeating the same contradiction: it’s not a “surplus” if there are uses for it. The point is to have “extra”; you can’t have that if there’s something to spend them on.

So again, find a way to keep pressure off those who don’t want to get gold in adventures (for example). I’m sure ANet would be interested.

Amaimon.7823

People keep repeating that because you keep repeating the same contradiction: it’s not a “surplus” if there are uses for it. The point is to have “extra”; you can’t have that if there’s something to spend them on.

So again, find a way to keep pressure off those who don’t want to get gold in adventures (for example). I’m sure ANet would be interested.

like I said, bags of rare gear, VI crafting bags, that kind of stuff, it’s a nice commodity, in no way marketing breaking, remember you can only spend the point once, so it’s not like the market will suddenly flood with materials. it’s like a one time gift, and then the points are gone.

I didn’t have to repeat the ‘contradiction’ if people didn’t repeat the need for it, how am I supposed to raise new points if people repeat the same first point? I agree, it ceases to be “surplus” if it has a use, but right now, it’s surplus for the original goal (which is masteries), and then becomes quite useless for any second goal, instead. If it has a second goal, then it ceases to be surplus, but it remains to be surplus until you finish all your other masteries

What other options could it have… HoT map currency? (the six know we could use another source for leyline crystals)

Astralporing.1957

Why do you want them to be a surplus after all the masteries have been unlocked? What would you get out of that? I dont see the point of advocating inactivity? If you like dead mastery points you are by all means free to not use them, but how would it hurt you if others chose to use their excess points? Remember, the whole discussion is about what to do with extra points after a player has unlocked everything, not prior to it

If they can get anything using those points after they have unlocked “everything”, then they haven’t really unlocked “everything” at all.

You seem to mistakenly think, that the surplus is only important for mastery points’ primary purpose, but somehow isn’t for any other purpose that might get added to them. That is not true. That secondary purpose would still be subject to the same reasoning as masteries. Basically, if even a single person might think they’d be pressured into getting those “surplus” points, then we have a problem that existence of that surplus was supposed to avoid.

The only way to avoid that would require the stuff you’d get for those surplus points to be completely useless to you.

Actions, not words.

(edited by Astralporing.1957)

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I think it’s a bit like having to do some part of Raiding, in order to obtain the ‘reward’ of Spirit Shards when leveling up.

Players feel ‘pressured’ into doing that for a reward that’s not worth much, at all. If there is a reward for having obtained all possible Mastery Points, or even 1 more than is needed, then some players may feel ‘pressured’ into obtaining those Mastery Points. Even if it were Spirit Shards, heaven forbid.

And, you know how well feeling ‘pressured’ to Raid went over.

Illconceived Was Na.9781

like I said, bags of rare gear, VI crafting bags, that kind of stuff, it’s a nice commodity, in no way marketing breaking, remember you can only spend the point once, so it’s not like the market will suddenly flood with materials. it’s like a one time gift, and then the points are gone.

I didn’t have to repeat the ‘contradiction’ if people didn’t repeat the need for it, how am I supposed to raise new points if people repeat the same first point? I agree, it ceases to be “surplus” if it has a use, but right now, it’s surplus for the original goal (which is masteries), and then becomes quite useless for any second goal, instead. If it has a second goal, then it ceases to be surplus, but it remains to be surplus until you finish all your other masteries

What other options could it have… HoT map currency? (the six know we could use another source for leyline crystals)

Let’s say you can buy one heavy or medium crafting bag with “surplus” mastery points. That’s a current market value of 1g. That means everyone who can do gold adventures would be 16g wealthier than those who feel they cannot (in addition to the rewards they already get: AP plus drops).

Given how people complain about not being able to get a spirit shard from XP (due to not being willing/able to participate in a successful Escort raid), don’t you think that people would be livid about this? (Spirit shards have a potential value of 1g, but on a practical basis, if everyone used their “surplus” shards, that value would drop to nothing.)

As long as ANet wants people to have the freedom to avoid doing certain mastery unlocks, they aren’t going to offer additional incentives to complete them all. Especially since we already get rewards with AP plus.

Pifil.5193

Stop looking?

I, individually, am just a bit annoyed at seeing all these points in my wallet without anything to use them on, hence, a secondary purpose that is in no way a considerable obligation isnt asking for much.
Casuals will have their excess points, and therefore, their freedom, while adventurers have a little extra reward.
As for your point, “don’t look at them”, well, I’d have no objection to anet zero’ing the counter and removing the visibility of mastery points on achievements once everything’s been maxed. Its kind of like.. what if Mordrem Blooms still dropped but there was no vendor, you see them pile up in your wallet never able to do anything with them.. wouldnt that raise your eyebrows?

They’re not actually in your wallet though, are they? They’re not a currency so they aren’t shown in your wallet. They’re only shown on the Mastery tab. The same way that Hero Points aren’t in your wallet either. They’re shown on the Training tab.

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

uhmm, if you want something to spend your points, wait for PoF and you have plenty to spend.

Posted by: Tanner Blackfeather.6509

Tanner Blackfeather.6509

uhmm, if you want something to spend your points, wait for PoF and you have plenty to spend.

Not Mastery Points. PoF will have its own set, just like HoT and Core are separate sets.

Posted by: Kameko.8314

Kameko.8314

If it helps, think of it like a bank account. You have extra money in there in case you need it for future needs (i.e. masteries). Just cause it’s there don’t mean you have to spend it.

Yeah, but that extra in the bank you can NEVER touch again… Imagine that money in the bank extra for emergency, and boom. Can’t touch it when it comes. They just rotting away having no purpose. I agree they should have a little use and think good idea. Just nothing like you say too essential.

Posted by: Kameko.8314

Kameko.8314

Stop looking?

They’re not actually in your wallet though, are they? They’re not a currency so they aren’t shown in your wallet. They’re only shown on the Mastery tab. The same way that Hero Points aren’t in your wallet either. They’re shown on the Training tab.

But hero points ARE / HAVE been used for future content. aka, hot comes out use your HPs. I’m assuming that won’t change for PoF. But mastery points? A big slap in the face. Grats for doing them, but you don’t need them/can’t use them . They won’t have any purpose.

Or PERHAPS, extend the masteries to sub masteries … Little faster gliding, little longer stealth. LOL. But that’s a bit too ‘essential’ in some minds probably. And I think would be bad, but to do something with them would be nice.

Astralporing.1957

They won’t have any purpose.

But they do have a purpose. Their purpose is to provide you with a safety net so you don’t need to do every single mastery point.
Doing what OP proposes would destroy that purpose.

Actions, not words.

Posted by: Nyx.6532

Nyx.6532

they aren’t going to offer additional incentives to complete them all. Especially since we already get rewards with AP plus.

didnt know this…
kitten .. now i need to do all the masteries :/ majorly sucks, i almost just got the enjoyment of not having to grind for max stats…
sigh kitten Anet why?

Illconceived Was Na.9781

they aren’t going to offer additional incentives to complete them all. Especially since we already get rewards with AP plus.

didnt know this…
kitten .. now i need to do all the masteries :/ majorly sucks, i almost just got the enjoyment of not having to grind for max stats…
sigh kitten Anet why?

Um, you don’t have to do them all. That’s the point. Some, like gold adventures, do offer AP and/or other rewards.

Amaimon.7823

But they do have a purpose. Their purpose is to provide you with a safety net so you don’t need to do every single mastery point.

How would a vendor destroy that purpose?
Its just like any other vendor, you don’t have to get every currency and spend it all if you don’t like it, or if there are alternative means to get what they sell. As long as the vendor doesn’t sell anything unique the safety net purpose remains.
I never finished the Chak collection, even though I have a bunch of eggs lying in my bank. My point is, just because you can spend the excess points for other things doesn’t mean you have to. The purpose of the safety net remains.

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Its just like any other vendor, you don’t have to get every currency and spend it all if you don’t like it, or if there are alternative means to get what they sell. As long as the vendor doesn’t sell anything unique the safety net purpose remains.
I never finished the Chak collection, even though I have a bunch of eggs lying in my bank. My point is, just because you can spend the excess points for other things doesn’t mean you have to. The purpose of the safety net remains.

It’s not a “safety net” — it’s a surplus, intended to reduce pressure on people. Giving it a value increases pressure.

Posted by: Valiant.5078

Valiant.5078

I think this is a great idea. Like what OP said, have this merchant unlock only after an account has completed all masteries in a location. Make the reward something not so rare, or can be earned through normal means. Maybe like Obsidian Shards, map currency, bags of t6 mats, that sort of thing.

Amaimon.7823

It’s not a “safety net” — it’s a surplus, intended to reduce pressure on people. Giving it a value increases pressure.

More pressure than any of the other thousand neglected vendors in the game?
Do you feel pressured to collect orrian pearls?

Posted by: TheQuickFox.3826

TheQuickFox.3826

It would be nice to be able to exchange mastery points to other type for an exchange fee. For example: Exchange excess HoT mastery points for Central Tyrian or Path of Fire mastery points when you are in need of those.

Ascalon will prevail!

GW Wiki user page  |  GW2 Wiki user page

Illconceived Was Na.9781

More pressure than any of the other thousand neglected vendors in the game?
Do you feel pressured to collect orrian pearls?

Why would you claim that these are neglected vendors? Why do you think that people don’t feel pressure to collect Orrian Pearls?

Go back and read the dev quotes: they specifically added 9 more core Tyria points to reduce pressure.

Posted by: Nyx.6532

Nyx.6532

didnt know this…
sigh kitten Anet why?

Um, you don’t have to do them all. That’s the point. Some, like gold adventures, do offer AP and/or other rewards.

my mistake i was thinking “att-power” not “archievement points” hehe, silly me :P

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Why do some people feel ‘pressured’ to complete all the Mastery Tracks just to receive a reward like Spirit Shards that are commonly acquired from all kinds of sources? I don’t see a big difference between that and having access to a vendor that offers more commonly-acquired rewards.

For some players, it doesn’t matter – having max Mastery Points, having maxed Mastery Tracks, or access to a vendor to spend Mastery Points over max.

For some players, it matters greatly. I have no idea why, but there sure are a lot of posts about feeling pressured to attain those maxed Mastery Tracks.

(edited by Inculpatus cedo.9234)

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

i understand both sides, but i will say this, mastery points are designed to be an incentive to complete content. At the point at which they become surplus, with no purpose, they no longer achieve their goal.

On the other side, some people dont want to have any purpose in the extra ones, because they will feel compelled to get them.

I think some people are treating this as a black and white issue, and it is grey. They can give something, without it being as compelling as leveling a mastery. They could offer to convert them to new zones mastery points at lower rate. They could give exp that could be used in otherzones to level mastery. They could recreate the hall of monuments, and offer titles/trophies for getting them.

or they could have them be worthless, but i would think that it would be better for something meant to be incentive to do things still have some incentive, even if it becomes a lower incentive.

diminishing returns on investment isnt a crazy idea.