[Legendaries] Aquatic weapons shafted

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

…Again…

From today’s news post:

we will be releasing new legendary weapons in small groups at regular intervals until the full set of sixteen has been added to the game.

There are 19 weapon types in the game. Three of them being the aquatic weapons. ArenaNet seems intent on not making new versions of these three weapons, and now we have confirmation that hold no intent to make a second legendary for them.

This is rather disappointing. Rather than having ArenaNet ignore underwater content, I’d rather they put some effort to improving it. And even if that’s a long-term goal, making 3 skins per weapon set they’re doing shouldn’t be that hard (even more so when so many tridents already share skins with staves, and spearguns with rifles).

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

Posted by: ekkue.3754

ekkue.3754

As soon as I saw ‘16’ my heart sank.

After they stopped making BL skins for underwater weapons I suspected they might shun them for the new legendaries, but still held a tiny bit of hope… I guess that puts it to rest though.

It also buries any hope for future or improved underwater content

Posted by: Icdan Sevaen.4628

Icdan Sevaen.4628

Hey don’t worry, as far as I know Howler hasn’t been fixed. It’s not JUST aquatic weapons!

Posted by: Garambola.2461

Garambola.2461

This ruined my mood. I was hoping for them. (Yes. I made Kraitkin simply because I like it.)

Posted by: ekkue.3754

ekkue.3754

well no, I have resigned myself to the fact that my howler will probably never be fixed, but at least it still has a purpose and warhorns aren’t being slowly phased out.

Posted by: SkiTz.4590

SkiTz.4590

No offense, but aquatic stuff is hilariously useless in this game

And no, I would prefer anet not waste time improving “under water”…. its just there for a bit of fun, but the real content is on land….

Ya it would be nice to see an underwater dragon fight like teq but underwater, but I rather not since that means developement for other projects have to be put on hold for something so irrevelent in the grand scheme of things….

Under water legendaries are useless…..whats the point? you wanna dive in and show off to a couple fishes? no is in the water to look at your new shiny besides NPCs……

Posted by: Trafficone.5301

Trafficone.5301

I, for one, enjoy underwater combat tremendously. I’ve made Frenzy and Kamohoali’i Kotaki, and I’m part way done with Kraitkin. Guess what? I don’t care if anybody sees them, because I made them for ME to look at, because I really like the skins and I really like using them. While it might not be enjoyable for some people, some of us really like underwater combat and would love to see it developed further. In the meantime, I’ll be using my underwater legendaries and enjoying them, whether anyone else sees them or not.

Boughmaster – Necromousy – Furfriend – Sapterfuge
The Rescuer – Smoke And Flowers – Nectar Protector – Dhuumwind –
Specter Protector – Pushed Daisies – Imprinted – Die Groundlings

Posted by: HardRider.2980

HardRider.2980

Considering there is no underwater combat as far as we know that’s not surprising..
But it also means they know about it and when they finally work on underwater the hype would be soo real.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Kill.3458

Kill.3458

Considering there is no underwater combat as far as we know that’s not surprising..
But it also means they know about it and when they finally work on underwater the hype would be soo real.

I’m really hoping g your right I find the undewater aspects of this game to be simply stunning outside of the combat that has been neglected for 3 years now

Posted by: Redenaz.8631

Redenaz.8631

I’m okay with them leaving aquatic weapons out of the new legendary pool. Generally, people seem really happy with the legendary aquatic weapons we have now, except for how little they’re used. If you really want an aquatic legendary, chances are good that you’re already satisfied with the existing ones. I’m sure someone out there uses speargun and doesn’t love Frenzy, but, generally speaking…If you’re not happy with how aquatic legendaries right now, nothing but a big focus on underwater combat or the introduction of land-spear/trident/speargun is going to fix that.

Developing new legendary weapons is apparently a very involved process according to today’s blog post, and given how much more use land weapons get, it seems like a bad use of resources to develop aquatic weapons before the other 16 are finished. “We’re making aquatic weapons, but they’ll be coming out last” isn’t an answer that’s going to make anyone happy.

~The Storyteller – Elementalist – Jade Quarry~

Posted by: Anchoku.8142

Anchoku.8142

Definitely need more and better underwater content. They could have added a coral reef Quaggon adventure after Southsun for L80 events with more swimming in 3 axes but there is just the original content and one fractal.

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

The amount of overhaul required to make underwater combat balanced and fun is befitting no less than an expansion.

And I suspect, one day, we shall have that expansion, and until that day underwater content will remain blissfully scarce.

After all, why add new legendary spearguns when you have no intention of adding new content that requires spearguns for quite some time?

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

Posted by: Captain Unusual.9163

Captain Unusual.9163

And no, I would prefer anet not waste time improving “under water”…. its just there for a bit of fun, but the real content is on land….

You don’t consider fun things in a game to be useful?

Posted by: xedoslol.3069

xedoslol.3069

I would hope that anet releases more underwater legendaries when we have to deal with the aquatic elder dragon. I imagine that most of the content would revolve around underwater combat and shoreline defense.

Posted by: Clearys.2561

Clearys.2561

+1 xedoslol

I hope they’ll release more underwater stuff in a new expac about the underwater dragon

Posted by: Kronos.2560

Kronos.2560

+1 xedoslol

I hope they’ll release more underwater stuff in a new expac about the underwater dragon

Yea just need to wait another 3 years…

Posted by: The one to Rule.2593

The one to Rule.2593

People actually play underwater content?

Posted by: Varathiel.9128

Varathiel.9128

One would think they would have to if/when they introduce the deep sea dragon. I for one would love the Pact to set up pockets of air on the sea floor, maybe some of which have begun to degrade, creating areas where there were aerial rivers that you could fall out of. Imagine the jumping puzzles!

Aridai Ironwind – 80 Guardian – Souls of Iron (IRON)
Dragonbrand

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Yeah, that’s the point. It’s hilariously useless, because Anet keeps forgetting it exists.

Under water legendaries are useless…..whats the point? you wanna dive in and show off to a couple fishes? no is in the water to look at your new shiny besides NPCs……

Which is why i’d rather Anet didn’t keep forgetting about that part of the game. because as long as they do, it will keep being a wasteland.

Anet’s just way too eager to abandon large parts of their game just because it might require a bit of effort to fix/polish it. And the stuff they use to replace old content with seems to be aimed ad lower and lower percentage of the population.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Lome.8239

Lome.8239

They confirmed no underwater weapons when they first talked about HoT legendaries.

Posted by: Coulter.2315

Coulter.2315

This probably means they are moving to a game with very limited UW combat for the future – and I can’t say I’m upset.

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

I like the UW legendaries. Real shame to abandon them entirely. I understand it is additional work, but there are people out there who would make them and who thoroughly enjoy the UW aspects of the game.

It is what it is I guess. Doesn’t stop it being a shame though.

Posted by: Runiir.6425

Runiir.6425

This probably means they are moving to a game with very limited UW combat for the future – and I can’t say I’m upset.

One problem with this idea, one of the elder dragons is water themed, expect a LOT of underwater combat for that expansion.

Posted by: Sizer.3987

Sizer.3987

I hope they rethink this and add them after the first 16 are done. Yea underwater content isnt very popular, but it still exists, and people still like it, so why not make some new skins for it, even if it does take time.

80 Mesmer – Yaks Bend

Posted by: Maxite.6102

Maxite.6102

What if the next set is nothing but aquatics? Would that appease your wrath.

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

Hey don’t worry, as far as I know Howler hasn’t been fixed. It’s not JUST aquatic weapons!

I’m not talking about “fixing” the old weapons. I’m talking about adding new ones.

That’s two very different things.

No offense taken, but the fact that its “hilariously useless” is actually why I would like it improved.

It’s only “hilariously useless” because ArenaNet decides to ignore it instead of fixing it. A habit they have with stuff – they don’t fix stuff that people do now, be it world bosses, dungeons, or yes, underwater combat.

Only because they removed underwater combat from PvP and most of WvW, as well as ignored adding more of it in the game. And they stopped adding more of it because it’s “hilariously useless” in the view of the majority of the playerbase.

And… isn’t the entire point of video games to have fun and be entertained?

Ya it would be nice to see an underwater dragon fight like teq but underwater, but I rather not since that means developement for other projects have to be put on hold for something so irrevelent in the grand scheme of things….

It’s not all that irrelevant when we know that there’s an underwater dragon in the future…

In this situation, it’s not just about no aquatic legendaries, but that aquatic weapons are continuously shafted in non-existence. Most BLC weapons have no aquatic weapon, there’s no aquatic Ambrite weapon, hell even the Aetherpath’s Aetherized Nightmare Weapons don’t have aquatic variants despite the Nightmare Weapons very much having such!

Besides to me getting legendary weapons isn’t about showing off to others but getting what you think looks good – it’s personal – and about the added benefit of swappable stats.

Developing new legendary weapons is apparently a very involved process according to today’s blog post, and given how much more use land weapons get, it seems like a bad use of resources to develop aquatic weapons before the other 16 are finished. “We’re making aquatic weapons, but they’ll be coming out last” isn’t an answer that’s going to make anyone happy.

Actually, that response of “they’ll be last” would make me happy. It’s the very fact that they’re not doing them at all which makes me unhappy.

I would hope that anet releases more underwater legendaries when we have to deal with the aquatic elder dragon. I imagine that most of the content would revolve around underwater combat and shoreline defense.

I would expect this too, however, that doesn’t mean we should never gain any new aquatic weapon skins until that point. Because by then we’ll have an abyssmally low amount of skins and options for aquatic weapons that it would seem weird to try to make up for in an expansion that’ll be coming in – if we have a dragon expansion every 3 years – probably 12 years!

What if the next set is nothing but aquatics? Would that appease your wrath.

That’s not really a new set though – that’d be a finishing of this set with the three aquatic weapons being last.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

Posted by: Zach.2618

Zach.2618

They should recode it so that you can reskin the speargun legendary over a rifle or the trident over a staff:D but you’ll still be able to use them underwater, I think that makes it fair to the people owning those weapons

Posted by: BaconofPigs.1683

BaconofPigs.1683

Will you swim in the jungle? HOHOHOHOHO

Posted by: CandyHearts.6025

CandyHearts.6025

The legendaries I was looking forward to the most was new underwater weapons and a new scepter.

I love underwater combat so I’m kinda disappointed.

Posted by: Zev.3407

Zev.3407

jungles have swamps and lakes . . . .

Posted by: Hyper Cutter.9376

Hyper Cutter.9376

I agree, underwater content is indeed irrelevant, it’s not like one of the Elder Dragons is living in the ocean or anything!

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

I agree, underwater content is indeed irrelevant, it’s not like one of the Elder Dragons is living in the ocean or anything!

Spoiler:

The final fight with Bubbles will be from a regular, non-air variety, ship with lots of cannons.
No swimming necessary. It will have been completely patched out sometime after we kill Primordus anyway.

Deep in the year 2028 we will finally defeat the last dragon with a mighty callback to the first dragon fight and GW2’s initial pirate/nautical obsession.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

Posted by: Daralii.8940

Daralii.8940

My hope is that they’ll use the lull of water content in HoT to work on improving it, even if it’s just a balance pass and making more skills usable. Bubbles is obviously in the ocean, and Jormag’s in the middle of an inland sea. They can’t just ignore it unless they abandon the ED plot or end the game after Mordremoth, Kralkatorrik, and Primordus.

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

My hope is that they’ll use the lull of water content in HoT to work on improving it, even if it’s just a balance pass and making more skills usable. Bubbles is obviously in the ocean, and Jormag’s in the middle of an inland sea. They can’t just ignore it unless they abandon the ED plot or end the game after Mordremoth, Kralkatorrik, and Primordus.

At the rate they are going we’ll be lucky to ever get that far in the first place.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

Posted by: Daralii.8940

Daralii.8940

At the rate they are going we’ll be lucky to ever get that far in the first place.

At their current rate, we’ll get to either of the water-centric EDs by 2022/2023. Perfectly reasonable, right?

;_;

Posted by: Lauriewonnacott.9841

Lauriewonnacott.9841

Just be glad that they’re at least giving the current ones the same updates as the rest with a real thematic precursor “journey”. Legendaries aren’t just a skin and some particle effects now – they have large amounts of content associated with them. They’d be adding all that for legendaries that would be acquired far less often and seen even less by those who had them.

Duhsziu – Revenant
Polyscia – Elementalist
Mercedene Underfoot – Thief

Posted by: kuben.9826

kuben.9826

has been added to the game"
So, yeah. No uderwater legendaries and 1 legendary gs. Good one with greatsword, but in this case can’t You just delete UW weapons and adjust land ones to match underwater standards? it’s stupid as f-word

Posted by: BaconofPigs.1683

BaconofPigs.1683

jungles have swamps and lakes . . . .

Ew Quaggan won’t swim in swamp…. Quaggan will swim in pool in quaggan’s guild hulllll…

Posted by: The one to Rule.2593

The one to Rule.2593

I will say I do like Komohali kotaki but when would i ever use it?

Honor of the waves on occasion?

Posted by: reapex.8546

reapex.8546

Underwater Legendaries in Deep Sea Dragon expansion /joke, maybe

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

My guess is there’s no much underwater combat in the new zones. Maybe with the next expansion there’ll redo underwater and then add the legendaries at that time.

Posted by: LadyRhonwyn.2501

LadyRhonwyn.2501

My guess is there’s no much underwater combat in the new zones. Maybe with the next expansion there’ll redo underwater and then add the legendaries at that time.

That’s not the point. You can use those weapons outside the new areas as well. It’s another signal that they want to remove all underwater combat.

Posted by: Zypher.7609

Zypher.7609

That’s not the point. You can use those weapons outside the new areas as well. It’s another signal that they want to remove all underwater combat.

Or since it takes about a month to develop each weapon, it is a sign that their development is better spent other places. Rather than underwater weapons that makes up maybe 3-5% of the game content.

Posted by: Valento.9852

Valento.9852

They will go away with DSD, and put a land fight for it. At the very least, they could use underwater environment as an exploration opportunity because it looks beautiful and so well-designed. The world of Tyria has a lot of water bodies, but I suspect they will change it in a very stupid way much like WvW borderlands, and inject some nonsense lore explanation to it.

Neglecting underwater environment is unforgivable.

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

Posted by: Dadnir.5038

Dadnir.5038

Or since it takes about a month to develop each weapon, it is a sign that their development is better spent other places. Rather than underwater weapons that makes up maybe 3-5% of the game content.

Don’t mind me but I think this argument is a bit flawed. Why?
Look at how many black lion weapon they have created… designing new weapon clearly don’t take a month.
The staff skin with the crow was leaked 2 year ago (at least)…
Underwater combat should definitely have it’s hours of glory. None ever said that there wouldn’t be any more underwater content. (Only PvPer hate it to the point that they achieve a withdrawal of a whole PvP map)

No core profession should be balanced around an optional elite specialization.

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

Look at how many black lion weapon they have created… designing new weapon clearly don’t take a month.
Underwater combat should definitely have it’s hours of glory. None ever said that there wouldn’t be any more underwater content. (Only PvPer hate it to the point that they achieve a withdrawal of a whole PvP map)

Well you can doudt about anything you want, but they said that it take them one month to create one legendary weapons from scratch. This isn’t just the skin, but also the aura, the footprints, skills animations. It also include the three precursors (yes now it’s 3), the collections, the quests, the trophies, etc.

Anyway, it’s not that point. Whatever the amount of time they need to create new legendary, it still cost resources to create new legendary. Underwater combat was always a laughable matter in video game in general, not just for GW2. It make total sense to not put resource into developing new skin for that content.

Would I be happy if underwater combat was good and there was some new underwater content and skin? You bet I would. But I prefer that they put that time on other stuff tbh.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

Posted by: LadyRhonwyn.2501

LadyRhonwyn.2501

Not adding new is not the same as removing. Or you’re suggesting a massive redesign of current maps? All the water is going to vaporize or what? Poor quaggans.

Naturally I don’t believe they’ll redesign every map to remove underwater combat… (not that there isn’t any precedent for that in this game….)

But it does give the signal: we don’t want to do anymore underwater stuff, we’re almost sorry we even started it so we’re removing it where we possibly can and ignore it for the rest…

Posted by: Avador.8934

Avador.8934

It is sure that for making these new legendaries we’ll spend most of our time in Maguuma. And there aren’t many water areas as I know. So I will rather wait for another expansion with more focused uw, where I can actually spend that time for their acquisition in new zones.

I am lazy to write it over and over. So sorry for my English.

Posted by: Dadnir.5038

Dadnir.5038

Well you can doudt about anything you want, but they said that it take them one month to create one legendary weapons from scratch. This isn’t just the skin, but also the aura, the footprints, skills animations. It also include the three precursors (yes now it’s 3), the collections, the quests, the trophies, etc.

Anyway, it’s not that point. Whatever the amount of time they need to create new legendary, it still cost resources to create new legendary. Underwater combat was always a laughable matter in video game in general, not just for GW2. It make total sense to not put resource into developing new skin for that content.

Would I be happy if underwater combat was good and there was some new underwater content and skin? You bet I would. But I prefer that they put that time on other stuff tbh.

Well, It’s my right to doubt
But honestly, just look at the axe. It’s technically a basic axe with twilight animation (Ok it’s a bit more blue than dark but that’s not a huge difference)

No core profession should be balanced around an optional elite specialization.

Posted by: I See No Tomorrow.7302

I See No Tomorrow.7302

The Black Lion Weapons require far fewer resources than developing a Legendary Weapon. Black Lion Weapon:
- Model
- Texture
- Possible animation
- Make new simple Black Lion collection

Legendary Weapons:
- Multiple models for the new precursors
- Multiple Textures for the new precursors
- Model of Legendary itself
- Texture of Legendary iteself
- Animation
- Footsteps + other sparkles and effects
- Multiple precursor collections
- Collection for the specific Gift related to the Legendary
- Consideration of other components going into said Legendary
- Possibly other things I missed, this is just from the top of my head

The point being that it takes a lot of effort to produce the new legendaries. And they had to apply much of that process to the already-existing legendary weapons (collections, new precursor models, etc.), which took time for the old legendaries.

Also, new Black Lion Weapon sets do not include underwater weapons at all. It’s been a trend for a while now. I agree that while it would be nice to have new underwater weapons, there doesn’t seem to be much of a reason to include them since HoT likely has very little underwater content.