Legendary Weapons - an appeal to ArenaNet

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Wahaha.7938

Wahaha.7938

I would like to see more serious and good looking legendaries. No, serious doesn’t mean “dark and edgy and sometimes on fire”, it just means serious like the Juggernaut. I don’t mind the flashy/joke legendaries that much (I have the Moot) but we probably have enough of them. I was fine with the Dreamer until the hideous footsteps, now the amount of flashiness is excessive.

Posted by: MidnightSun.7964

MidnightSun.7964

/signed

Back in the day I was also hoping that Legendary weapons would be more than just a new skin. I felt that each legendary should have some sort of power that no other weapon of its type had. I get why that can’t happen, but it would have been a cool idea imo.

<insert something witty>

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

Disagree with OP.

I love my party pistol. You can have the other 99% of serious weapon skins while i enjoy my gimmick/non-traditional weapons.

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

Dear ArenaNet
I haven’t always played your game constantly, but I did play it for a long time after release, and the HoT announcement brought me crawling back. That’s because though I got bored at times I believe that the mechanics of your game are still fun and can create entertaining content, plus I can’t resist a game whose content focuses on game lore.
One of the best things I heard from HoTs announcement is new <Legendary Weapons, with questlines to get Precursors (the one reason I never obtained a Legendary in the game currently), so to make sure this feature is perfect, I appeal to you…….

PLEASE DON’T MAKE THE WEAPON MODELS GIMMICKy AGAIN

Compared to games like TERA, WOW and Wildstar, I believe that GW2s art style is definitely more “earthy”, focusing on detail and somewhat realism against stylization (hence why half of your equipment models look like plain old armor), because of this disco balls, unicorns and confetti pistols simply don’t fit.
I’m not saying there’s no humour in the game, or that you can’t have humour, I just believe the tone you yourselves have set for GW2 is better suited for action and drama first and humour second.

And I also believe this sort of style takes away from the sense of empowerment players should feel by having them, I believe that they want to show off to others how dedicated and skilled they are for taking the time to make the weapon by looking distinct and kitten, not goofy.

Please ArenaNet, leave the gimmicky styles in the Gem Store for the eccentrics who will buy them, and focus on making Legendary weapons look not only distinct, but kitten, and fitting with the tone GW2 is trying to set. I’m pretty sure that you’ll make a lot of people happy

Agreed 100% with you OP.

Pistol, Staff, Mace and Shortbow of the current legendary selection are clear evidence of terrible immersion breaking items.

Some people do like them.
The majority probably don’t. And there’s a reason for that.

When you go in an MMO you usually try to be the most awesome and kitten character you can be – not the local clown or disco person.

So yes – new more “serious” legendary weapons would be ideal.

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

Posted by: Selene.9415

Selene.9415

How does bifrost not fit? Sure, it’s a rainbow, but I don’t think it’s of the same class as the minstrel, quip, dreamer or moot (the “joke” legendaries).

As to OP, yes pleeeeease! I was so excited at the start when I found out that the legendary focus was a harp, at least until I realized it was a chicken harp T-T

Posted by: Zero Day.2594

Zero Day.2594

It’s going to be funny when all the legendaries look serious and badas_ while there’s the Dreamer and Quip being goofy… They’re almost going to iconic in a way.

Thief Nerf/Change Wish List. Advice List
Join the TEEFs!

Posted by: A Massive Headache.1879

A Massive Headache.1879

if they do another firey legendary, that one had better be a joke one, i’m sick of all the freaking fire crap.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

How does bifrost not fit?

Have you seen all those necromancers with Bifrost? Yeah, that’s why.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

How does bifrost not fit?

Have you seen all those necromancers with Bifrost? Yeah, that’s why.

That’s the problem really – it isn’t neutral enough so some classes get the short end of the stick.

It’s too theme oriented towards one thing.

Look at bolt – bolt is more generic – any class that can wield it can fit it into their class’ theme somehow.
The same can be said for The Juggernaut. Or TFP.

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

Posted by: metaldude.4132

metaldude.4132

Dear ArenaNet
I haven’t always played your game constantly, but I did play it for a long time after release, and the HoT announcement brought me crawling back. That’s because though I got bored at times I believe that the mechanics of your game are still fun and can create entertaining content, plus I can’t resist a game whose content focuses on game lore.
One of the best things I heard from HoTs announcement is new <Legendary Weapons, with questlines to get Precursors (the one reason I never obtained a Legendary in the game currently), so to make sure this feature is perfect, I appeal to you…….

PLEASE DON’T MAKE THE WEAPON MODELS GIMMICKy AGAIN

Compared to games like TERA, WOW and Wildstar, I believe that GW2s art style is definitely more “earthy”, focusing on detail and somewhat realism against stylization (hence why half of your equipment models look like plain old armor), because of this disco balls, unicorns and confetti pistols simply don’t fit.
I’m not saying there’s no humour in the game, or that you can’t have humour, I just believe the tone you yourselves have set for GW2 is better suited for action and drama first and humour second.

And I also believe this sort of style takes away from the sense of empowerment players should feel by having them, I believe that they want to show off to others how dedicated and skilled they are for taking the time to make the weapon by looking distinct and kitten, not goofy.

Please ArenaNet, leave the gimmicky styles in the Gem Store for the eccentrics who will buy them, and focus on making Legendary weapons look not only distinct, but kitten, and fitting with the tone GW2 is trying to set. I’m pretty sure that you’ll make a lot of people happy

Shortbow shooting unicorns with a Rainbow trail..or Longbow with flowers and birds..
“quick! Kill it!” XD

Sharpen your justice. Dust off resolve. Brace your courage. The Guardian dragonhunter approaches.

Posted by: Dean Calaway.9718

Dean Calaway.9718

(…)

That’s why I also don’t bother with any legendary.
As for skill, I love the 2,5~3k Twilight Warriors I randomly get in 1v1 at times.
My Warrior looks quite unimpressive, Ebon Blade, Honor of Humanity, Bandit Warhorn. So they must feel pretty confident when they jump me then they can’t run away far enough, literary because I can catch them.

So not only I want the new legendary weapons to be more sober and believable, I want the track for it to involve actual skill.
If I had my way we’ll have something like Liadri.

Picture this:

You get a boss like Liadri, defeat it to get a token.
Four weeks later another one comes up.
It doesn’t replace the old one, its just a new one somewhere else in the world. This new one has been built with metrics collected from the old one, basically make it even harder.
Four weeks later another one even harder, then another.
Twelve different ones sounds like a good number, and with those tokens you can get a precursor for the new legendary.

As for the number of tries, I wouldn’t like a ticket system, I’d much rather have a five or ten try per day cool down, just so it’s not only time gated, but also the map it might be on doesn’t get crazy queues for each fight.

As for the rest of the stuff, T6 mats for example don’t appeal too much either because they’re all about grinding gold (with a group of other people normally) and a legendary should be a personal thing, something you should do on your own with NO chance of getting any help.

Only then you’ll have some sense of personal achievement and when you see someone with one you can nod and think to yourself “there goes a kitten” because right now when I see a legendary I only think “how many hours did this guy champ farm before getting this thing from the trading post?”.

Victoria Cross [VC] – Desolation [EU]