Legendary weapons will no longer be legendary

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

Why do you care if everyone has a legendary? That seems like an odd obsession to me.

Posted by: Thagyr.4136

Thagyr.4136

Not so many of them? I see a dozen legendary greatsword/staff/dagger people running in groups daily already and that is with the current system. I’m surprised when I don’t see them out and about for any given point in time. Whatever prestige you think they have was dead and gone after the first year or so since the game arrived.

Legendary acquisition is a long-term project for the game to get a nice weapon skin. They jump through all the hoops to get the Gifts needed for each one the same as many others. The only thing that players could not earn was the precursor, which relied on their luck as well as the luck of others to acquire. It was the odd one out in a tedious and long chain of gathering/exploration and dungeon farming. So they add a few more hoops to jump through to get a precursor and take the luck (and player greed) out of the project a little. I don’t see the problem.

Posted by: cranos.5913

cranos.5913

Ofc legendaries aren’t rare anymore. We litterally had no endgame apart from skin hunting for nearly 3 years. Can’t rly expect them to still be hard to get after all that time. That being said, the new system won’t be more difficult, but it will force you into doing a specific grind. Everything grants you gold, but not everything grants you the specific item you need for the collection. So all in all, less phyw I suppose. And no, there’s no prestige in running around in open world “adventuring and exploring”.

Posted by: rapthorne.7345

rapthorne.7345

There’s absolutely nothing prestigious about getting lucky with RNG or adding on to your credit card bill.

Legendaries, to me, are just another weapon skin

Resident smug Englishman on the NA servers, just because.

Posted by: Coldtart.4785

Coldtart.4785

There’s absolutely nothing prestigious about anything, ever.

Fixed that for you.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Please explain why you believe that in the current system and the new system, those who put in the most effort are those who produce the most precursors.

I did not say “precursors”. Significant number of them on TP (likely the majority) comes from random drops. Legendaries however are a slightly different matter. Nobody just drops a legendary, and i am pretty sure that only a tiny minority of all legendary owners just bought them from TP. There’s simply not enough legendaries on TP for it to be otherwise.
Also, notice i haven’t said “most” effort. I said “some” effort. Because, honestly, that’s all there is to it – all that is required is to be willing to put some work into it. It’s just, as i have also mentioned, that most people are not willing to do that.

Finally, I agree that the new legendaries would be more “prestigious” in the sense that they signify an amount of dedication and commitment because they can not be purchased, and I believe that is a good thing.

Yes, with the caveat that they won’t be any more “prestigious” for a large part of the community for the simple reason that lot of people simply do not think in these categories at all. I mean, some people may think “prestigious”, while others will look, and say “ugly” or “does not fit my color theme” – and those aestethic considerations will be all they care about.
Even if it may be hard to believe for lot of people that live for prestige and recognition.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: SkyFallsInThunder.8257

SkyFallsInThunder.8257

I’m concerned that with precursor crafting, legendary weapons will lose the exclusivity and prestige associated with them. Part of the allure of such weapons for some players is that they are rare, unique, hard to obtain, and that there aren’t that many of them. The old system has many drawbacks, but one advantage is that by controlling the precursor drop rate, the prevalence of legendary weapons can be controlled. If the drop rate of precursors is %0.01, then only the top %99.99 richest (or luckiest) players will have a certain legendary. A similar principle exists in PvP, where only the top x players on the leaderboard are awarded with mini llamas or glorious hero’s armor. Does anyone else share my concern?

Sadly, the prestige of a legend is kinda invalidated by the fact that anyone can buy one with a credit card. The new ones will fix this, so that’s good. As to how much prestige the new ones will hold, it all depends on how hard it will be to obtain them, but considering that most of the game’s pve (if not all) is really not hard at all, I dunno… But the prestige of the current legends will be indeed diminished, even if it’s only because new ones come out. On the other hand, their prestige might actually go up if the new legends are way too easy to aquire… Time will tell, atm we know too little to be sure.

However, your comparison with the PvP exclusive items is incorrect. Legends (the current ones) can be bought with a credit card instantaneously and at any time; a win in high-ranked PvP tournaments or top spot on the leaderboard cannot. I am only talking about the special armor, since llamas are often given away at raffles or on twitch and such, and therefore hold little prestige imo.

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

Well so long as i still see ppl with >1k APwith eternity on a non world completion character……

I do not think some legendaries are legendary anymore.

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

Posted by: Nephziel.6053

Nephziel.6053

Its been nearly 3 years. Its understandable why the legendaries would be common. Doesn’t matter how easy/difficult they are to obtain after long time they are bound to be common. The only way to make a ‘true’ Legendary is to make it so only one player could obtain it and no-one else. Which would cause more crying.

Also for people who have issues with people using real money to obtain something. Your view is wrong: To have money you have to spend time to earn it. So spending time to earn money or spending time to farm for legendary is no different. Time is the real currency

(edited by Nephziel.6053)

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Why Guild Wars 2 Legendaries aren’t Legendary.

The original set were poorly designed for acquisition. The very first one that sold on the trading post made it only an expensive, non prestigious skin to me. I’ve never bothered to try for one.

They are no longer rare. They are certainly not unique with every other person having one and the only hard to obtain part is the Legendary RNG for the precursor.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Posted by: Gibson.4036

Gibson.4036

I’m concerned that with precursor crafting, legendary weapons will lose the exclusivity and prestige associated with them.

Since precursors either involve being extremely lucky with a drop, or amassing a large amount of gold, I’m not sure they’ve ever had much prestige associated with them.

Part of the allure of such weapons for some players is that they are rare, unique, hard to obtain, and that there aren’t that many of them.

Even with the difficulty of getting one, there seem to be an awful lot of them running around these days.

A similar principle exists in PvP, where only the top x players on the leaderboard are awarded with mini llamas or glorious hero’s armor. Does anyone else share my concern?

I’m sure others do, but I definitely don’t. I find the need to be “exclusive” to be silly, really. Uniqueness is great, but that can come from having a huge variety of choices, and letting personal taste win out. Give players enough options, and they won’t look alike because people will just choose different things (with the exception of whatever flavor-of-the-month thing that just got released).

The only thing worth rewarding with exclusive items would be very difficult skill challenges. Legendaries have never been about that.

The game shouldn’t be designed around people’s desire to be envied.

Posted by: Sariel V.7024

Sariel V.7024

Nope. I see Legendaries everywhere. What makes having a credit card prestigious?

Yup, this, basically.

now what if thur was a system for crafting where you could choose the base weapon, for instance Lord Taeres’s Shadow, that has lore behind it. then choose to include which effects, like the steps u want, and turn it into a legendary.

since u got to choose some of the combination used, it’d be unique

I like the idea, but it would probably be too much work.

Posted by: MyriadStars.5679

MyriadStars.5679

I’m concerned that with precursor crafting, legendary weapons will lose the exclusivity and prestige associated with them. Part of the allure of such weapons for some players is that they are rare, unique, hard to obtain, and that there aren’t that many of them. The old system has many drawbacks, but one advantage is that by controlling the precursor drop rate, the prevalence of legendary weapons can be controlled. If the drop rate of precursors is %0.01, then only the top %99.99 richest (or luckiest) players will have a certain legendary. A similar principle exists in PvP, where only the top x players on the leaderboard are awarded with mini llamas or glorious hero’s armor. Does anyone else share my concern?

Sadly, the prestige of a legend is kinda invalidated by the fact that anyone can buy one with a credit card. The new ones will fix this, so that’s good. As to how much prestige the new ones will hold, it all depends on how hard it will be to obtain them, but considering that most of the game’s pve (if not all) is really not hard at all, I dunno… But the prestige of the current legends will be indeed diminished, even if it’s only because new ones come out. On the other hand, their prestige might actually go up if the new legends are way too easy to aquire… Time will tell, atm we know too little to be sure.

However, your comparison with the PvP exclusive items is incorrect. Legends (the current ones) can be bought with a credit card instantaneously and at any time; a win in high-ranked PvP tournaments or top spot on the leaderboard cannot. I am only talking about the special armor, since llamas are often given away at raffles or on twitch and such, and therefore hold little prestige imo.

IMO, the prestige of a legend is invalidated by the fact that there is nothing particularly challenging in the process of making it, whether it’s under the current system or the upcoming system in HOT.

In fact, it’s more challenging to justify using a credit card to pay $400 USD to get a legendary weapon than to simply playing this game to craft one.

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

IMO, the prestige of a legend is invalidated by the fact that there is nothing particularly challenging in the process of making it, whether it’s under the current system or the upcoming system in HOT.

How do you know that none of the parts will be challenging?

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

MyriadStars.5679

Well, I doubt that Anet would make certain steps to be so difficult that less than 1% of the players will have the skills of completing these steps. It would be logical for Anet to use the new system to help them keep players playing the game, instead of using it to make players feel so frustrated that they will quit playing.

Posted by: Fade.1743

Fade.1743

The Legendary process was never supposed to be challenging. Just time consuming. Something to build towards over a long period of time.

Magichemist Zeke – Asura Elementalist [TC]
An Insane(ly Intelligent) Genius!
“Did you just tell me the rules? Never tell me the rules!”

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

Well, I doubt that Anet would make certain steps to be so difficult that less than 1% of the players will have the skills of completing these steps. It would be logical for Anet to use the new system to help them keep players playing the game, instead of using it to make players feel so frustrated that they will quit playing.

Why does something have to only be completable by x% in order to be deemed challenging? And why 1%?

Thing is, challenge is going to vary from player to player. What you might not consider challenging might provide a healthy dose of challenge for another player.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

MyriadStars.5679

Why does something have to only be completable by x% in order to be deemed challenging? And why 1%?

Thing is, challenge is going to vary from player to player. What you might not consider challenging might provide a healthy dose of challenge for another player.

Hmmm…“challenging” could have different meanings when the context is different. I was replying to posts regarding “prestige”. I don’t really think completing tasks that most people who pay attention to builds, etc., could complete would give real prestige or distinction.

Say, running 20km would require a lot of effort for most people, but merely being able to do so is not sufficient to claim oneself a distinguished runner.

Posted by: Zero Day.2594

Zero Day.2594

Right, because they’re legendary now.
I guess it is legendary how I’m flipping towards a precursor right now.

Thief Nerf/Change Wish List. Advice List
Join the TEEFs!

Posted by: Dante.1763

Dante.1763

You know it! Its the most legendary flipping ever! Your flipping is so legendary, it deserves a legendary of its own!

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

Posted by: Wonderly.1324

Wonderly.1324

Why do you care if everyone has a legendary? That seems like an odd obsession to me.

I don’t care if everyone has a legendary. I find satisfaction in collecting rare items of great value that are desired by many but attained by few. I care that if there aren’t such items in the game, then there won’t be a worthwhile goal to pursue.

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

I don’t care if everyone has a legendary. I find satisfaction in collecting rare items of great value that are desired by many but attained by few. I care that if there aren’t such items in the game, then there won’t be a worthwhile goal to pursue.

Ah your bumed you cant sell the new legendary/precursors at all or any of the ones you will be able to craft.

But thats what make the legendary how you yourself reforged said weapon mate, its not like now when you feel the ka-ching when something you made is sold to another.

Dante.1763

Ah your bumed you cant sell the new legendary/precursors at all or any of the ones you will be able to craft.

But thats what make the legendary how you yourself reforged said weapon mate, its not like now when you feel the ka-ching when something you made is sold to another.

How did you get that? from this?

I read that as, “I like collecting and using the rarest items in game that few people have and are desired by the vast majority”

Much like in GW1, i spent a good extra 4 months playing that game just so i could get a voltaic spear, by not buying it. I wanted to be one of those who got it from a drop! But the RNG in that game was much better, but the feeling of getting somethingthat you want and is very rare is still great!

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

Linken.6345

How did you get that? from this?

I read that as, “I like collecting and using the rarest items in game that few people have and are desired by the vast majority”

Much like in GW1, i spent a good extra 4 months playing that game just so i could get a voltaic spear, by not buying it. I wanted to be one of those who got it from a drop! But the RNG in that game was much better, but the feeling of getting somethingthat you want and is very rare is still great!

I find satisfaction in collecting rare items of great value that are desired by many but attained by few.

Guess its the cynic in me, but never stated for or against if it would be used by him/her self.

So collecting rare items that alot of people want but few can attain due to low % rng drop then selling them for great gold value is what I get out of that sentence

Dante.1763

I find satisfaction in collecting rare items of great value that are desired by many but attained by few.

Guess its the cynic in me, but never stated for or against if it would be used by him/her self.

So collecting rare items that alot of people want but few can attain due to low % rng drop then selling them for great gold value is what I get out of that sentence

Awwww okay! Well, if it helps, ive always collected the rarest skins in any game ive ever played, but i keep them for my own use even if they are worth a ton of money. I just like getting the Oooos and Ahhhs from other players!

Zero Day.2594

You know it! Its the most legendary flipping ever! Your flipping is so legendary, it deserves a legendary of its own!

That or, I’m so rich that I popped open my wallet, pulled out my credit card, bought some gems, converted said gems into gold, and bought the legendary/precursor. :| The job that I do must be that legendary journey…

Join the TEEFs!

Wonderly.1324

I’m sure others do, but I definitely don’t. I find the need to be “exclusive” to be silly, really.

The game shouldn’t be designed around people’s desire to be envied.

The game shouldn’t be designed solely around people’s desire to be envied, but it should allow room for players who share that desire. It’s great that you are not motivated to play by the desire to be envied, and I’m glad that the game accommodates your motivations for playing. I believe that the game should provide as many motivations for people to play as possible. I think it’s rather selfish for you to say that other people’s reasons for playing are inferior to yours or matter less just because the game caters to your desires. That’s like a PvP player who finds satisfaction in dominating over their opponents saying that the game shouldn’t be designed around cosmetics, PvE, etc. etc.

Dante.1763

That or, I’m so rich that I popped open my wallet, pulled out my credit card, bought some gems, converted said gems into gold, and bought the legendary/precursor. :| The job that I do must be that legendary journey…

Buy me one please?! :O JK, but i i did the same for my mother for one of her christmas gifts. After 2.5 years of playing this game, and not getting a precursor drop, getting 13k achievement points and doing all the living story 1 and all the other content, i figure shes earned a legendary. More so than most with them… (Actually bought her a precursor and my dad and brother chipped in to help) Her reaction was well worth it xD

(edited by Dante.1763)

Wonderly.1324

Awwww okay! Well, if it helps, ive always collected the rarest skins in any game ive ever played, but i keep them for my own use even if they are worth a ton of money. I just like getting the Oooos and Ahhhs from other players!

Dante and I are similar. Linked is indeed cynical. I collect things to have for myself, not to amass wealth.

Linken.6345

Dante and I are similar. Linked is indeed cynical. I collect things to have for myself, not to amass wealth.

Then shouldent you embrace the new legendary precursor scavenger hunt with open arms.
You can chose what precursor you want to work towards so you get the legendary you want first and the continue and get them all in time.
You will probabely be one of the few to make all the legendarys and not have to worry about a rng drop at all.

Posted by: rhapsody.3615

rhapsody.3615

That’s not entirely true. The only thing you can’t buy with real money for the new legedaries are 1) the precursor and 2) the legendary itself. Anet stated that the components for crafting a legendary will be very similar to what we use now. That means 250 of each T6 mat, 100 gold for icy runestones, and whatever materials are required for the other Gifts. These things get very expensive and can add up to the price of the precursor itself (or more in some cases). Also add in potential materials needed for precursor crafting. So it’s still very possible to spend quite a bit of real money on the new legendaries.

On the topic of old legendaries “losing their prestige,” who cares? The legendaries I made were made because I liked the skins and needed something to work on. Since I make my characters aesthetically pleasing to myself, I don’t care if someone thinks mine are second class because “gosh anyone with a credit card can buy them.” Each character has a theme, and their weapons and armor are chosen for that purpose.

Dante.1763

Then shouldent you embrace the new legendary precursor scavenger hunt with open arms.
You can chose what precursor you want to work towards so you get the legendary you want first and the continue and get them all in time.
You will probabely be one of the few to make all the legendarys and not have to worry about a rng drop at all.

Well, i do..mostly. I hope these masteries have some challenge to them to make them worth getting a legendary. Other than that i love it! and for the new legendaries i love it even more!

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

I’m concerned that with precursor crafting, legendary weapons will lose the exclusivity and prestige associated with them. … Does anyone else share my concern?

I don’t. We can’t assume they were intended to be exclusive or prestigious.

Zero Day.2594

Buy me one please?! :O JK, but i i did the same for my mother for one of her christmas gifts. After 2.5 years of playing this game, and not getting a precursor drop, getting 13k achievement points and doing all the living story 1 and all the other content, i figure shes earned a legendary. More so than most with them… (Actually bought her a precursor and my dad and brother chipped in to help) Her reaction was well worth it xD

Not really judging, but I wouldn’t have spent $300-500 on an in game item, would have rather got her a different gift – if she’s into gaming, a graphics card or something/gaming keyboard+mouse/an awesome chair.

In reality, these legendaries are as legendary as you make them out to be. They’re just fancy skins, and at most their just one weapon with swappable stats.

Not sure how much lore there is behind them currently, definitely getting added in the expansion though. Nothing much (sure projectiles and skill effects change) happens when you use them, nothing epic. They don’t, and really can’t, have effects on builds.

They’re just cool skins and swappable stats.

Join the TEEFs!

(edited by Zero Day.2594)

Dante.1763

Not really judging, but I wouldn’t have spent $300-500 on an in game item, would have rather got her a different gift – if she’s into gaming, a graphics card or something/gaming keyboard+mouse/an awesome chair.

To be fair, it was only 75$(25$ per person, not that much) and shes not into gaming, shes into GW2. she plays other games, but she loves GW2 over any other game(and she plays it the most, when she has the time). She plays on a rather high end laptop, and has a decent mouse and keyboard already! she did get other things too

Posted by: KryTiKaL.3125

KryTiKaL.3125

Wonderly if you do actualy enjoy collecting things such as Legendaries, as quite a number of people do, then this new system should very much appeal to you.

Also Legendaries should have always been something that required effort to be put forth rather than relying purely on luck to efficiently acquire. It is so much less about skill and much more about -money- with the current system. Know how I got my precursor? Gold. Gold bought through a severely large amount of gems. It set me back a stupid amount of money and I am actually angry at myself for having spent that much.

Do I enjoy my legendary? Yes, of course, but I was put into a position where I either had to spend a ridiculous and immeasurable amount of time farming and -hoping- and -praying- to a God I don’t believe in just to get t6 materials and a precursor -or- I had to spend a large amount of real money on an extremely large amount of gems to then buy said precursor, or hell just buy the Legendary itself (which I didn’t).

That is not a system that should remain within this game because it drains people’s wallets dry or it requires them to spend time doing something tedious and monotonous for a result they may never even reach. They put forth effort and time for a percentage chance that they -might- get something and that is -not- conducive to the gameplay. RNG is okay sometimes, but it is absolutely horrifying where it is right now.

Also I can guarantee you that people -will- want to work for these Legendaries, that is a goal people will strive for because they will see people running around with said item. If they want it, they work for it and put forth the effort for it and this upcoming system for precursors -will- accommodate that.

I highly doubt it will be in any way extremely easy to accomplish, as well. Maybe you’re okay with spending obscene amounts of money just trying to get your grabby hands on something shiny but myself and many other people would rather that not be the case.

Astralporing.1957

I think it’s rather selfish for you to say that other people’s reasons for playing are inferior to yours or matter less just because the game caters to your desires.

It’s not that it is inferior. It’s that in the long run it is unworkable in a game like GW2. Why? It’s simple – catering to it makes more people dissapointed than satisfied. By design. And no sane developer would want majority of their players to be disappointed..

You can get away with doing this to minor things (like liadri mini) but anything that is more front and center must be possible to acquire by everyone. Even if most people will find themselves unwilling to put in the required effort. Making something that is supposed to be desired by majority, and yet is limited by skill so that only a minority can possibly get it is asking for a riot.

Actions, not words.

Wonderly.1324

I highly doubt it will be in any way extremely easy to accomplish, as well. Maybe you’re okay with spending obscene amounts of money just trying to get your grabby hands on something shiny but myself and many other people would rather that not be the case.

Was that incredibly judgmental statement baselessly directed towards me, or more a reflection of your bitterness towards having violating your own convictions and buying gems and gold with money for your legendary in the past? Either way your hypocrisy is ironical. I have one legendary and sixteen precursors. I have never converted a single gem to gold and I (obviously) have never purchased gold third party. I’ve purchased tons of gems, and used 100% of them for gem-store only items (mining tools, inventory space, outfits, etc.). I do not plan on selling/flipping any of my precursors. And the Sunrise that I have now, I completed it by farming every single component even if it would have been faster to purchase some items through the trading post.

I worded my original post poorly. I think that making the new legendaries account bound is a good thing, and I think that making the precursors craftable isn’t necessarily a bad thing. I just feel like the process should be time intensive enough to deter impatient people.

Wonderly.1324

I think it’s rather selfish for you to say that other people’s reasons for playing are inferior to yours or matter less just because the game caters to your desires.

It’s not that it is inferior. It’s that in the long run it is unworkable in a game like GW2. Why? It’s simple – catering to it makes more people dissapointed than satisfied. By design. And no sane developer would want majority of their players to be disappointed..

You can get away with doing this to minor things (like liadri mini) but anything that is more front and center must be possible to acquire by everyone. Even if most people will find themselves unwilling to put in the required effort. Making something that is supposed to be desired by majority, and yet is limited by skill so that only a minority can possibly get it is asking for a riot.

Perhaps you’re right. I guess it’s not necessary that the exclusivity comes through the inherent competition of a market. However, I hope they set the bar high enough so that while anyone can get a precursor by crafting, it would deter most people who don’t have the patience. I don’t necessarily believe that there should be items that are desired by the majority with an circumventable limit to the amount of players that can ever attain them, and you gave good logic for why that would be a bad idea. Creating an artificial limit using skill, as with your example with the Liadri mini, might not be a good idea either. However, I think that creating an artificial limit of time investment isn’t unreasonable at all. I think the new process should take at least 4-6 months and several hundred to a thousand hours to complete. This should deter everyone but the most patient and invested of players, and is “fair” in the sense that everyone can work on it at their own pace without losing progress and it is attainable to everyone who is willing to do so.

Limiting an item through competition (only players who are better at PvP THAN other players, only players who acquire gold at a faster RATE than other players bidding for the same object, etc.) is not the best way of doing things.
Limiting an item through luck is obviously so kittened that I don’t even need to delve into it.
Limiting an item through skill (e.g. Liadri) is not the most fair way of doing things, because you will have players who will inevitably be unable to meet that standard.
Limiting such prestigious items through willingness to invest time into the game when there are no time limits, I feel like is the most fair and ideal solution. (Though mark my words, there will be people who will complain that it takes too long or is too grindy or they can’t play how they want because they’re forced to do a certain activity)

So, revisiting my original question, where I stand now is that I believe that account-bound precursor/legendary crafting would be an improved system if the requirements were extremely time intensive. I actually like the idea of that a lot, because as others have pointed out, I’ll be able to collect every single one of them, even if it takes me 7 years, and every time I see someone with the same legendary as me I will know that they obtained their legendary by going through the same process that I did.

(edited by Wonderly.1324)

Posted by: cranos.5913

cranos.5913

I think the new process should take at least 4-6 months and several hundred to a thousand hours to complete. This should deter everyone but the most patient and invested of players, and is “fair” in the sense that everyone can work on it at their own pace without losing progress and it is attainable to everyone who is willing to do so.

That’s never going to happen. While I’m pretty sure it’s going to be harder for ppl who make gold easily, overall it’s not going to be more difficult for the average player. Unless they actively time gate it (which would be horrible) I’m sure we’ll see the first new leggy’s pop up within the first month of release.

Posted by: KryTiKaL.3125

KryTiKaL.3125

And that is exactly what people had attempted to explain and what my relatively abrasive post was trying to get across. And yes that statement was directed towards you because of the way you were coming across throughout this thread, which multiple people pointed out.

You made it seem like you would have preferred that Precursors and Legendaries cost in-game money so that time was invested into farming for it or farming money for a variety of other reasons and that there was skill behind doing that, to a degree, all out of concern that the new system would not take long enough of a time for it to actually be challenging or time intensive.

We still don’t know the full details yet and also based on observations of what we’ll have to do, of the little peak we got at some, I don’t think it will take a small amount of time. I should have stated this in my previous post but I think you just let your concern get the better of your rational judgment or interpretation of the currently available information.

Posted by: Cloud.7613

Cloud.7613

Ofc legendaries aren’t rare anymore. We litterally had no endgame apart from skin hunting for nearly 3 years.

This sums up my opinion on the matter, with the expansion not much will change either, the new legendaries will suffer the same fate.

Posted by: BentoDetective.6491

BentoDetective.6491

The changes to the new set of legendaries is a right call, in my opinion. Legendaries should be something players worked towards. Farming gold to buy is one way. But, directly working towards one is more satifying in a hands-on sort of way.

In some games, certain bosses drop certain loot, like the exclusive-awesome-raiding kind of loot. My point being that, when you saw a player wielding some awesome looking weapon or equipped with some bad-kitten armor, you’d know that they worked/killed a certain hard boss/monster.

With GW2’s current legendaries, the prestige is not as overwhelming as it should be. Not just that they’re everywhere nowadays, but you would be wondering how that person came about acquiring that legendary. Was it through a costly purchase with their credit card? Was it a gift from someone? Did RNG dropped them the precursor? Bought with gold through endless farming?

Of course, we should include the most original way: crafting the whole thing yourself.

All in all, I look forward to the xpac’s new way of acquiring legendaries.

Posted by: Zephyron.7081

Zephyron.7081

Time intensive is what we already have. If GW2 is breaking the mold of all the WoW clones and MMORPGS out there, then the aquisition of a legendary MUST be SKILL based! Extremely hard instances and world events with extremely difficult achievements should be earned for mats used to craft the precursor. And those quests should be enjoyable side stories that explain the soul Tha makes each weapon legendary. In other words, the questing for a precursor should be meaningful, extremely difficult, involve achievements from all aspects of gameplay (PvE, jumping puzzles, sPvP, and WvW) and have both solo and group play challenges that need to be achieved.

In short, when people see you with a legendaty, then they know you earned it by skill, not just time invested.

Astralporing.1957

In short, when people see you with a legendaty, then they know you earned it by skill, not just time invested.

And then most other players complain (because they can’t get it, and many of them do not care about the prestuge, but just want it for looks), requirements get revised downwards, and we’re back at the point we’re now.
Or, we can skip the whole hoopla, and go straight to time investment without irritating many players on the way.

Actions, not words.

Posted by: Frosty and Frosty Law Firm.4981

Frosty and Frosty Law Firm.4981

Oh, yes, because being lucky with pure RNG is “legendary”.

Grind Wars 2: Heart of Tears

Posted by: DrRock.1637

DrRock.1637

It’s easy to despise what you cannot have.

Posted by: yolo swaggins.2570

yolo swaggins.2570

It’s easy to despise what you cannot have.

It is also easy to despise what isn’t much of a big deal to you but everything shoves it in your face anyway.

Liaison for [Teef]
“Please stop complaining about stuff you don’t even know about.” ~Nocta

Posted by: A OK.8276

A OK.8276

One thing is for certain: there is no stopping them; the legendary weapons will soon be here. And I for one welcome our new legendary overlords. I’d like to remind them that as a trusted beta participant, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves

Posted by: Doctor Faustus.6372

Doctor Faustus.6372

why should a legendary take 100-1000 hours of playing? you are concerned the new legendaries will not be prestige?

just for information: i made 20 (all) legendaries in 5,300h – I didn’t use credit card. Right now you can do all the work for a Legendary by just farming gold all day long. Very boring and very easy.

[vC] Doctor Faustus.6372