Leveling MASTERIES is a CHORE

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: AuroraW.7149

AuroraW.7149

Don’t grind XP, play the game for the same reason you would play normally and you will get the XP that way

Sorry, but this is not true. “Play the game like you normally do” means for me: Map exploration (visiting new areas, climbing viewpoints, intentionally getting lost on the maps, finding Lore Gems, talking to NPC’s and listening to their stories / chatter, as well as playing the Story. Went for my favorite playstyle for two days and it gave me literally no XP progress at all. However, I needed at least some basic masteries to be able to move around the maps for my favorite map exploration leisure (Gliding 2, Jumping 1, Exalted 1 and Nuhoch 2). These masteries are even needed for the story. As adventures arent available anytime, I went for events and got the above masteries within a weekend.

What annoyed me: the way you get your HoT XP is very gated. I dont mind taking part in events, just the opposite – looove open world content! :-) However, I love map exploration as well (if not more) and it doesnt add to my horizontal levelling like in the ‘old’ zones. Thats a bummer.

To obtain the above mentioned mastery levels – Gliding 2, Jumping 1, Exalted 1 and Nuhoch 2 -, I played since HoT release. I am mastery level 8. Sufficient to say, I have an 8 to 5 job and are mostly only able to play on weekends. For me its absolutely sufficient, as I now have the masteries I need to finally be able to enjoy the new zones. But please dont say “just play the way you want and you will get your needed XP” This is not true.

Booga: I took the bullets out of their guns. That was smart, huh?
Tank Girl: Booga, that was very smart.
Gath Gealaich | RĂ©mi Heltzer [GN] – Elona [D]

(edited by AuroraW.7149)

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

People always say “play the way you want” when they really mean “play the way I do.”

Posted by: Dream In A Dream.7213

Dream In A Dream.7213

Agree It is a chore. Make more masteries with smaller xp cost.

Posted by: Colly.4073

Colly.4073

I see people with 160+ mastery rank! How the kitten?

Posted by: Kampilan.3895

Kampilan.3895

I don’t mind the repetitiveness of most of the content. I actually, uh… enjoy the stress I get defending a Rally Point on a daily basis. It’s exciting for me. And the loot, haha

But then, I realized my EXP bar wasn’t going back to zero. I was training Itzel Language and… it’s capped. Because I have zero Mastery Points, and I need TWO.

I only got a Mastery Point after I helped a warrior get to the one in the cave below where the Legendary Wyvern spawns.

So there’s that frustration. I got an achievement for repeatedly helping fight around Itzel, but no Mastery Points. I fought some frog Champs above, in the canopy, and no Mastery Points.

I mean, yeah, I love fighting for dear life. I’m with many other players who say that Gliding has changed their life in-game (I have to stop myself from jumping off ledges off HoTs maps because YOU KNOW YOU CAN’T GLIDE HAHAHA). I’m a bit flabbergasted, but, yeah, I don’t mind looking at my specs to respec to survive Maguuma. I’ve shifted my primary (my Ranger) from Axe/Torch to Axe/Axe (keeping the Longbow).

I just wish Mastery Points were easier to access. I don’t like platformers. I don’t want to have to really, really fight for most of the Mastery Points after I already fought off The Six knows how many killer Salad Creatures to get my EXP bar to cap.

I’m not (exactly) whining. I’m just saying that some people just don’t have time to slog through things and “L2P” like the hardcore among you.

You know why I left WoW after three years and two 80s, and no matter much how I loved the game? Because it and it’s kittening community post-BC were insisting that the game be played a certain way.

It took time for me to join my Guild here. But eventually I grew to love this game because although there’s a certain way to optimize the gameplay, the game – at least pre-HoTs – didn’t demand you play it one way to even enjoy it.

I’m growing to like HoTs. I love that I’m getting good drops and earning good money despite feeling mentally tired after 2-4 hours of playtime. I even ended up being very interested in my least-played character – my Thief – because of the Elite Specs. If for anything, fighting with the Staff wearing the Hexed Outfit (thank you, Mad King’s Labyrinth) is cool to watch.

But I miss just being able to play the game the way I wanted to before the expansion and it didn’t penalize me. Or lock me out of certain content because platformers and hardcore play weren’t things I grew to love as a gamer.

(edited by Kampilan.3895)

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

The only ones you need are gliding and mushrooms, which can be acquired in mere minutes. The rest are just luxuries.

Posted by: Calcifire.1864

Calcifire.1864

The only ones you need are gliding and mushrooms, which can be acquired in mere minutes. The rest are just luxuries.

and Nuhoch Wallows

and Itzel Poison

and Updraft Mastery

and Ley Line Gliding

barring exploiting a glitch, it is impossible to complete Auric Basin without Ley Line Gliding

same with Dragon’s Stand, except you can’t even glitch it

you cannot complete Tangled Depths without Itzel Poison Mastery

the least gated map is Verdant Brink, which only requires Updrafts

“then why not do old world completion if it’s so boring to do HoT masteries?”

BEAUSE TYRIA IS BUGGED! I’d gladly do Tyria completion, except if you get Tyria Completion, you will not recieve completion rewards from HoT zones, Southsun, Dry Top, or Silverwastes.

I’ll make this clear: have no problem with masteries or gating as a concept, my beef is with requiring boatloads of xp to get them.

if I had to gather ley-infused stone and chak goop to treat my glider’s wings so they could catch ley-currents, I’d be fine.

I’m NOT fine with needing to run DS 50 times to grind XP, getting three masteries I don’t care about (seriously, stealth gliding? that is not useful AT ALL, there is nowhere in the open world where I have thought “gee I wish I had stealth gliding” ) , just so I can finish getting map completion and start doing events because I want to do them, rather than because I HAVE to do them.

Fluffball.8307

and Ley Line Gliding

barring exploiting a glitch, it is impossible to complete Auric Basin without Ley Line Gliding

Huh? I’ve done it and I don’t have LL Gliding. Anet always has secondary routes.

And map competition is my definition of a luxury. I’m not sure if it’s bugged or not, but I didn’t even get any rewards when I completed the maps.

All you need to enjoy the expansion is gliding and mushrooms. The rest are luxuries. I guess we can add updraft in there so you can play the final map, but updraft is level 2. So a total of 4 mastery points.

You definitely don’t need the poison mastery for anything useful.

(edited by Fluffball.8307)

Calcifire.1864

and Ley Line Gliding

Huh? I’ve done it and I don’t have LL Gliding. Anet always has secondary routes.

And map competition is my definition of a luxury. I’m not sure if it’s bugged or not, but I didn’t even get any rewards when I completed the maps.

All you need to enjoy the expansion is gliding and mushrooms. The rest are luxuries. I guess we can add updraft in there so you can play the final map, but updraft is level 2. So a total of 4 mastery points.

You definitely don’t need the poison mastery for anything useful.

map completion is not my definition of a luxury, in fact, the map completion, elite specs, and story are my primary reasons for buying the expansion, your “luxury” is my “requirement”. funny isn’kitten how people have different reasons for doing things?

and yes, you ran into the bug, lets hope you have a map left to complete, otherwise you can’t get your elite spec weapon skin, and you are screwed out of a legendary on that character.

now, explain to me how you got the western hero point in lastgear standing, without using the words “experimental rifle”, because that “jump out of bounds and relog” trick is the glitch I was referring to.

and poison mastery is required for the chak stonghold PoI and HP in tangled Depths, needed for certain events in dragon’s stand, and until recently, was required for AB (along with adrenal mushrooms), (and was actually required for the story until a week after launch)

Fluffball.8307

Elite spec weapon skins and map completion are luxuries. It may be that you really really want them, but you can enjoy the expansion without it. Difference between “need” and “want”.

It’s like saying you can’t play GW2 unless you have a legendary weapon.

No point in continuing this conversation, we’ve both said our minds.

Posted by: Dorian.8542

Dorian.8542

Here’s my input in the matter. as it currently stands, the amount of experience required to complete the heart of thorns masteries vs the availability of the required exp is way too rediculous.
If the exp requirements were lowered by even a bit, then i would actually get the feeling that i was accomplishing anything. But right now it feels like such a chore to get even one of the mid level jungle masteries such as lean techniques completed that i have genuinely stopped playing the game.
This is not fun for me, and judging by quite a few of the comments, this is not fun for others as well. That’s what a game is supposed to be. Fun. Not some pointless grind. This is the reason i stopped playing WoW.

Calcifire.1864

Elite spec weapon skins and map completion are luxuries. It may be that you really really want them, but you can enjoy the expansion without it. Difference between “need” and “want”.

It’s like saying you can’t play GW2 unless you have a legendary weapon.

No point in continuing this conversation, we’ve both said our minds.

very well, since we’reboth making final statements on the matter,here’s mine:

for me, map completion is EVERYTHING, it is my primary reason for playing.

screw the PvP, screw the raids, screw the fashion, map and story is the reason I bought the expansion.

I wonder, why did you buy the expansion if not for those reasons?

because the way you say that you “only” need gliding and mushrooms implies that you just want to wander with no goal and do events, because that is all that can be done without additional masteries.

(edited by Calcifire.1864)

Posted by: Lasica.5068

Lasica.5068

It’s only a chore if you must have it done now 2 weeks after the expansion is released. Everyone is going to eventually level them, so just take your foot of the accelerator and go around doing whatever you find fun and eventually they will be done.

Why make sense, when it’s so much more fun to make nonsense?

Posted by: TheGuy.3568

TheGuy.3568

If you are working for most it is a chore. Eats up too much time in a grind. No matter how you disguise it running from event to event killing mobs solely for the sake of leveling is a grind. That being said it is one of the core elements of most mmos. Kill mobs and level. So complaining about not having enough time to get it shouldn’t be, “This is a chore”. It should be, “Let me toss money at this so I do not have to do this!”.

Imho whenever you have this type of time sink you should be able to trade some sort of irl money for it. Basically as others have too much mastery ie time there should be a way to sell to those who simply do not have the time to do the lengthy unlocks in a reasonable amount of time. To some hardcore gamers this is a blasphemy but in the real world where most people do have to work and have to use their free time wisely it is a true help. In general it is good for the economy (we do this already with the exchange as it is). So before you plan more, “Lets make good content equal long grind”, think about the forced to be casual player. They would play more if they could but they have things like responsibilities and time constraints.

Kor The Cold Heart War
Wrekkes-Engineer Kore Rok Thief-Asraithe-Ele

Posted by: Kraggy.4169

Kraggy.4169

It’s pretty aggravating that even the main Story is gated by Masteries .. you finish the intro “Torn From The Sky” and immediately hit your first roadblock and can’t continue until you’ve ground your first Mastery .. and then it seems the same thing happens again and again.

I was looking forward to playing through the HoT story in one go, unlike of course the original which was level gated, but it seems Anet found other ways to force you to do other stuff simply to enjoy the story even without being able to level-gate it.

I was going to do the ‘world’ stuff after completing the Story, but I was so fed up being locked out I’ve gone back and started some new characters to work on Tyria Masteries until I feel in the mod to start the HoT grind.

Posted by: Eulolia.2467

Eulolia.2467

and Ley Line Gliding

Yes you can, you don’t even need experimental rifles. Not sure if you mean spider nest or the hoop at the bottom of south lane, but both can be reached with just gliding.

Subscribe for exciting guild wars 2 videos! https://www.youtube.com/user/eulololia/

Posted by: Winnower.1426

Winnower.1426

I know a guy already finished all the masteries, 100% mapping in all the new zones, and a mass of achievements. He’s already gone off to play something else because he was “bored”.

Some of us are here to play for the experience of playing. Some come to play to obtain a goal(s), whine if they are given it outright, leave once they’ve got it, then whine about lack of content.

We had a map in Verdant Brink last night that cooperated and got Tier 4 in the day and Tier 4 at night, killed all the bosses in the canopy. Dozens of people got bladed coat boxes at the end, along with other fun loot drops. This was not a guild, or even a group of guilds; it was a massive pug who cooperated. Amazingly there were people grinding spiders throughout the entire event. But guess what, it’s what they chose to do and it doesn’t bother anyone else, so let them. I just hate to hear anyone whining about their choices.

I’ve seen a pug guild created that runs Dragon Stand, Noxious pod runs, Tarir meta successfully multiple times a day. No TS or mumble, no officers or complicated hierarchy, no gear requirements. Just listen in chat, pay attention, and cooperate.

Posted by: Notsoperky.2348

Notsoperky.2348

What would be fun is to see Anet nerf CoF exploit and spider exploit and then reset all those that abused it back to level 1 mastery (and remove all their mastery points too).

Fluffball.8307

What would be fun is to see Anet nerf CoF exploit and spider exploit and then reset all those that abused it back to level 1 mastery (and remove all their mastery points too).

In what way would removing people’s effort be fun for anyone?

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

and Ley Line Gliding

Yes you can, you don’t even need experimental rifles. Not sure if you mean spider nest or the hoop at the bottom of south lane, but both can be reached with just gliding.

Pretty sure he means the area to the northeast. Yes, it appears you needs ley-line gliding for that, but there is an extreme way around it if you know the path. Lots of tree climbing and jumping involved. Found the way by accident, but a mastery point in that area still requires poison mastery.

Otherwise, it’s death again.

Gone to Reddit.

Posted by: Pharazon.3095

Pharazon.3095

Play the game in your time under your conditions and don’t care too much about the rest and how they play the game. Personally I don’t see masteries as a chore because I do them on my own leisure, when I have time for it.

Yes it does take a good chunk of XP to get them but why are you in such a hurry anyway? I’m certain that if they were too easy to get it would be trivialized and that way become boring as well.

MMOs are about grinding, which at times can feel like a chore. I’ve grinded my share of MMOs and I don’t mind it. However grinding isn’t for everyone, and I understand that too. The balance is giving people enough to do that isn’t grinding as well as giving things that are. I think I’d be rather bored with MMOs hadn’t they had that grinding part, as well as that goal to reach after doing that mindless grinding for hours on end.

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

and Ley Line Gliding

There is a HC I couldn’t get in Auric Basin without the Experimental Rifle.

Posted by: rchu.8945

rchu.8945

Levelling masteries is a chore if you make it.
I’ve leveled basically all of my jungle masteries by PLAYING, without caring, and it was FUN to unlock new abilities and go back where I previously couldn’t.

Of course sometimes I’ve wanted a mastery fast, and I’ve worked on it to unlock it (some occasional Spider farm or COF farm) but it was my choice to speed it up and thus I shouldn’t complain it was a chore, I wasn’t asked/supposed to.

EDIT the biggest mastery to unlock is a lvl 6 one and asks for 4kk+ exp. Pact6 (autoloot) for example. I wanted that one fast, and I went for a farm in COF, loaded up boosters (old exp booster, new exp booster, food/nour with exp, fireworks, killstreak): 2kexp per kill, pack of 12 every 10 secs max = 24k/10s = 2.4k/s.
Every minute is 144k
Every hours is 8.6kk
It’s not always possible to keep up this rate but AT LEAST you should expect 5kk/h.
So use boosters if you farm, 5h for a single mastery is nuts.

My 2 copperz.

can you share more info on this spider farming location?

I broke down today and tried the fabled spider farm.

OH MY GOD IT IS BEAUTIFUL

I got half of my poison mastery done in an hour.

it’s near one of the jaka itzel pact encampments,you need bounceshrooms to reach it.

I mean, sure, people will say “but metroidvaniaaaaaaa >:(”,but the thing is: I don’t care about metroidvania when it’s behind grind, when I have to find the ice beams or space jump, sure, but “grind 8M exp for ley line gliding” isn’t fun

is there a patch release today? I have a funny feeling this spot will be nerfed…

Sanctum of Rall
Pain Train Choo [Choo]
Mind Smack – Mesmer

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

Indeed – masteries are less of a way to progress and mostly there to disguise the otherwise lack of content.
Without them – a 4 map expansion would be done in a week, two or maybe three if you’re super casual.

Masteries disguise the fact that a lot of the new maps and content (events, mobs,rewards) aren’t fun( the most common thing i’ve heard about HoT maps is that they are confusing and not a lot of people seem to like their labyrinthian approach) – because it requires people do them regardless of their own enjoyment by gating story, Raids, legendary progress ( aka things people do care about).

Masteries are also a way for them to make content in the future repeatable regardless of gold rewards or the actual quality of said event.

Just add mastery requirements to all future content and people will have to play current content regardless of what they think about it simply out of fear of being left out or missing out ( a strong sentiment prevalent in any MMO community).

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

Posted by: Golgathoth.3967

Golgathoth.3967

Someone may have already mentioned this, but masteries are a rare case of being at an advantage by having multiple characters at max level. I’ve got nine level 80s right now, but mastery experience is account bound. So, all experience from map exploration nine times over, HoT story nine times over, and any meta event participation on any of those characters all go towards whatever mastery I’ve got activated. Pretty awesome.

Sylvari: 7 Humans: 3 Charr: 2 Norn: 1 Asura: 0
“Tarnished Coast” since head start!

Posted by: Solid Gold.9310

Solid Gold.9310

I can confirm leveling masteries is a chore, or if you prefer a grind.

As they get higher you need more points, and they take forever to fill the bar.

Definitely a grind.

Jumping puzzles, love them or hate them, I hate them. Thread killer.

Posted by: Oxidia.8103

Oxidia.8103

I bought this expac for me to enjoy it for a long period of time. I don’t farm spiders. I don’t farm cof. I do what i want, yet i have around 21 mastery points unlocked. I don’t chase it. Nor i want to. It is a grind if you make it a grind.

Posted by: Snoopy Shannon.5123

Snoopy Shannon.5123

It’s confusing that people call it a chore, if the content you’re doing to level masteries isn’t enjoyable, that isn’t gonna change after you max your masteries, so just don’t do it. Go back to what you were doing to enjoy the game before the expansion.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I can confirm leveling masteries is a chore, or if you prefer a grind.

As they get higher you need more points, and they take forever to fill the bar.

Definitely a grind.

I can confirm that it’s not a grind. Level 55 so far, and I don’t feel like I’m grinding at all. I’m just having fun doing stuff.

Definitely not a grind.

See how easy that is?

Posted by: Straylight.7529

Straylight.7529

In my experience things only become a chore when trying to stick to a deadline you set yourself. My tip: don’t set deadlines. Just play the game and you’ll progress automatically. Choose the activities that are fun for you over those that give more xp.

Kraggy.4169

In my experience things only become a chore when trying to stick to a deadline you set yourself. My tip: don’t set deadlines. Just play the game and you’ll progress automatically. Choose the activities that are fun for you over those that give more xp.

It’s confusing that people call it a chore, if the content you’re doing to level masteries isn’t enjoyable, that isn’t gonna change after you max your masteries, so just don’t do it. Go back to what you were doing to enjoy the game before the expansion.

And what’s your suggestion for those of us who WANT to play the content we enjoy, the STORY but are locked out due to mastery-gates?

THAT’s when getting masteries is a HUGE CHORE.

Posted by: ugrakarma.9416

ugrakarma.9416

Go to Orr.
Probably the best and most underrated game map. You can spend hours on it without feeling always repeating the same content and there are always some action there.

When the expansion come, I was eager to have the “pact comander” for some reason. With no patience for nonsense Cof farm, I went to Orr.

(edited by ugrakarma.9416)

Posted by: Raziel.4216

Raziel.4216

And what’s your suggestion for those of us who WANT to play the content we enjoy, the STORY but are locked out due to mastery-gates?

How are you locked behind level 2 masteries? They already removed the itzel 4 req.
Anyone’s suggestion would be to play the game, it’d take less than 2 hours (from the moment you first step into the jungle) to get that mastery.

If Legend of Zelda came out tomorrow, the usual
forum dwellers would go nuts about the need to
“grind” to get exp, new swords, new potions etc

Straylight.7529

Just try to pace the story chapters accordingly. When I started playing HoT I didn’t do all the story chapters in Verdant Brink on the first day. I did one story chapter, the next day I did events, the day after another story chapter and so on. The only time I felt “gated” was when I couldn’t enter the golden city because I needed the first exalted lore mastery. But that only took about one hour to level and since Auric Basin was still very fresh to me it didn’t really bother me.

In my experience HoT works best when you open yourself up to many different activities and alternate between them. The maps offer enough other things to do than just the story. Also you need to keep in mind that the way story chapters are designed in HoT isn’t really much different than before. In vanilla GW2 you couldn’t just rush through the story either. You got a big chunk of story every 10 levels and in between you’re supposed to explore and do other things. HoT never promised to be different in that regard.

(edited by Straylight.7529)

Posted by: Snoopy Shannon.5123

Snoopy Shannon.5123

All you need is gliding and bouncing mushrooms for the story. In no way is that a grind, even for an impatient person.

Posted by: Phoebe Ascension.8437

Phoebe Ascension.8437

We are not even a month into HoT and i mastered about half masteries already i think, with verdant brink/silverwaiste event farming.

I barely used booster etc

Once you get all masteries THEN the game will be even more boring (trust me on that). I’m on purpose (even as a multi 1000 hour playing veteran) not bursting tru masteries, to give me the sense of progress now, rather then to even forget about it.

Legendary weapons can be hidden now!
No excuse anymore for not giving ‘hide mounts’-option
No thanks to unidentified weapons.

Kraggy.4169

How are you locked behind level 2 masteries? They already removed the itzel 4 req.
Anyone’s suggestion would be to play the game, it’d take less than 2 hours (from the moment you first step into the jungle) to get that mastery.

After completing Torn From The Sky you need to unlock the first mastery in order to continue to the next quest in it, the Story quest completion for TFTS tells you that.

So, I’m locked out of the Story till I grind enough XP to unlock Gliding!

Posted by: Solomon Darkfury.3729

Solomon Darkfury.3729

After completing Torn From The Sky you need to unlock the first mastery in order to continue to the next quest in it, the Story quest completion for TFTS tells you that.

Omg… that would literally take you like 15 minutes… if that is too much effort for you then you should probably look at uninstalling and going back to console games…

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

All you need is gliding and bouncing mushrooms for the story. In no way is that a grind, even for an impatient person.

You’ve not played the story, have you? I ask, because it flat out REQUIRES you to gain more than that before giving you the next step in a couple of places.

By itself, it wouldn’t be so bad, but it hits you with this pretty much as soon as those mastery lines unlock as you follow the story through the maps. If you let the story lead you, you MUST stop at those points and level a mastery.

I don’t mind the masteries in theory. What I mind is how poorly they executed them in regards to the flow of the story.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Solid Gold.9310

Sorry but I disagree, you have to get some masteries for story progression yes, they are easy, but the further down you get the more you have to grind.

The one below the one you just did is going to take twice the grind, and so on as you go down, until your brain dead.

It’s a grind, period.

Posted by: Notsoperky.2348

Notsoperky.2348

Omg… that would literally take you like 15 minutes… if that is too much effort for you then you should probably look at uninstalling and going back to console games…

15 minutes? Explain how you get that exp in 15 minutes, without using boosters, exploits and not being able to glide anywhere. Assume he’s not running a ‘tag everything’ build and doesn’t know where events are, and the map has no comms and very few people on.

It’s not as easy as people say if you don’t play prime time or missed the initial rush, and find endlessly repeating events boring.

I’m forcing myself through the story now as ran out of obtainable mastery points (TD map is just so awful i can’t stand being in it) and the worst part is the endless talking that you can’t skip- I now literally start the story and go read something on my other comp, click next dialogue, rinse, repeat and after what seems like 10 minutes I can finally do something, followed by another 10 minutes of talking. I find the endless padding of the LS tedious.

Posted by: Raziel.4216

Raziel.4216

I think he’s just being sarcastic to ilustrate how ridiculous the whining is.

If Legend of Zelda came out tomorrow, the usual
forum dwellers would go nuts about the need to
“grind” to get exp, new swords, new potions etc

Solid Gold.9310

We are not “whining”, just stating the facts and our opinions.

If we wanted “grinding” we would go and play a Korean mmo.

(Off to grind for a bit !).

Posted by: Tricky.4916

Tricky.4916

Perhaps a bit off topic for this post but, along the Mastery Lines. Is there a optimal or best order to choose your Masteries? (Meaning having those Masteries add to access to more map and lead to more XP , because you can access certain places)

I just came back to the game and recently bought HoT. Atm, I’ve been rushing my 3 Major toons to get there specalization thur Hero Point. (Which I have) To date, I’m at 14 point. Granted I am still at the Verdant Brink mostly.

Most of that was accomplished thur, Glider Basic and Updraft Use. Both are esstental for the map, if you want Hero Points, Mastery Points and so on.

So how would you list/order Masteries in term of importance to focusing on?

1. Glider Basic
2. Updraft Use
and after that?

Straylight.7529

I don’t mind the masteries in theory. What I mind is how poorly they executed them in regards to the flow of the story.

They are not poorly executed. They are simply not executed in a way that you can rush through the story while ignoring everything else the map(s) have to offer. The very moment you start exploring the map while doing events, HPs etc.. you won’t even notice the gating.

Before the expansion you had to employ the same playstyle that required you to do other stuff before being allowed to continue your story every 10 levels. Yet people act surprised that you can’t beeline the story in HoT when you couldn’t even do it before.

So how would you list/order Masteries in term of importance to focusing on?

1. Glider Basic
2. Updraft Use
and after that?

Definitely the Jumping Mushrooms because quite a few Adventures require you to make use of those Mushrooms if you want a chance to get gold or even silver. The first exalted Mastery is also important. It gives you access to the second story chapter in Auric Basin and at the same time opens up more events on the map by allowing you to use portals to previously unaccessible areas.

(edited by Straylight.7529)

Posted by: DarcShriek.5829

DarcShriek.5829

My co-lead got the core masteries all done ( well, half way to final legendary mastery) just by 99% mapping his rev.

Just to add another spice to the cooking pot.

The funny thing about this is if you already had map completion you got screwed because the last 6 months there wasn’t any kind of XP reward for a level 80. On top of that these same people can’t get map completion rewards because Anet refuses respond to the bug.

its only a chore if you make it one

its a chore.

Not to those who take their sweet time.
It’s not a chore, I enjoy it.

It’s a chore.

You must not be paying attention. Anet has stated that the map completion bug will be fixed Tuesday.

So much for your refusing to respond theory.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Grind has always been pretty common in all RPG’s. Granted, the amount of it does vary among game titles.

Posted by: Zeppelin.6832

Zeppelin.6832

Nearly everything in HoT is a chore

Solomon Darkfury.3729

You consider gliding 1 a grind? You’re trolling right?

Solomon Darkfury.3729

15 minutes? Explain how you get that exp in 15 minutes, without using boosters, exploits and not being able to glide anywhere. Assume he’s not running a ‘tag everything’ build and doesn’t know where events are, and the map has no comms and very few people on.

It’s not as easy as people say if you don’t play prime time or missed the initial rush, and find endlessly repeating events boring.

I’m forcing myself through the story now as ran out of obtainable mastery points (TD map is just so awful i can’t stand being in it) and the worst part is the endless talking that you can’t skip- I now literally start the story and go read something on my other comp, click next dialogue, rinse, repeat and after what seems like 10 minutes I can finally do something, followed by another 10 minutes of talking. I find the endless padding of the LS tedious.

Dooooooood… it’s gliding ONE He’s talking! about I could practically turn on auto attack, leave the room, go to the bathroom, get a coffee, come back and boom it should be mastered…