Mac and HoT- Will it be supported?

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: ananda.5946

ananda.5946

The Mac wrapper has contained a serious error for over a year now where the game will consistently crash while going any large scale events (world bosses, wvw, etc.) if you have your graphics set to something reasonable. This issue has been acknowledged and they have said they are close to fixing it over nine months ago here https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/support/Client-crashes-during-heavy-graphic-fights/first

So, I am wondering: since this issue has obviously been largely ignored and left unfixed for over a year, will HoT come with any fixes or will the Mac wrapper still be fundamentally flawed and broken? We’d love to buy the expansion (we being me and my husband, not the royal we), but there is just no way we will if something so basic is not fixed.

Has there been a mac beta? If so, is this issue addressed? Would love to know.

And, pre-emptively, if we wanted to run bootcamp, we would have. We were sold a working Mac client and would never have gotten the game if we had to use windows, so bootcamp is not a viable option. And yes, we realise it is a wrapper and that it will never perform as well as it does in windows, but this fundamental flaw was introduced later in the lifecycle of the Mac wrapper and it had been ‘fine’ till that point.

Posted by: Systematic Anarchy.1439

Systematic Anarchy.1439

I would not count on Mac being supported. Gaming in general seems to be moving away from mac support.

Posted by: Kaiden Valor.7163

Kaiden Valor.7163

The pre-purchase page includes requirements for the mac beta BUT that might be because HoT has the base game packaged in.

As far as I know there’s been no official response from Anet about it beyond Gaile saying she would ask the team.

Posted by: Moira Shalaar.5620

Moira Shalaar.5620

I don’t know about gaming in general, but I agree with the OP that this problem has been in place for a VERY long time. While I would love to play GW2 being able to appreciate the full beauty of the game on my Mac, I have very low expectations at this point. Their inability to resolve this issue has been very disappointing. I suspect that it has been put indefinitely on a back burner because they simply don’t have the personnel resources to actively support the Mac client.

And with the OP, bootcamp is not an option. The cost of buying Windows simply to play a game increases the cost of investment to a point that it is really not worth it, completely apart from the disk space and the fact that many of us on Mac appreciate not having to deal with Microsoft.

mid-2011 iMac; OSX 10.9.5; 3.4 GHz Core i7;
16GB RAM; AMD Radeon 6970M 2GB VRAM

Posted by: Elitejelly.7462

Elitejelly.7462

It could be because I’ve always played gw2 on a macbook pro (late 2011) and I have gotten use to playing on the lowest settings but everything seems fine to me. I rarely get crashes (and its usually due to internet and not my macbook), sometimes during heavy fights at world bosses/wvw it will drop fps, but I think a lot of people do.

Why would HoT not be supported? its still gw2 just throwing in new content, like what they have been doing with living world and such, its not a completely different game. As for getting a native client, I would love one, but I don’t see it coming at all. just takes up a lot of resources to recode everything. Just my thoughts/experience on the matter.

IM SO HYPED FOR HOT I CAN FLIP A TABLE.
(/o_o)/ |_|
hype over.

Posted by: ananda.5946

ananda.5946

I wasn’t expecting a native Mac client, but a wrapper that does not crash on large group content non-stop. Without that fix, I wouldn’t consider the mac wrapper to be supported. I do really hope they fix it or I wouldn’t be posting about it. We’d like to do the pre-purchase deal also if we knew that the wrapper would be fixed.

If Gaile said she’d ask the team, maybe she can post the response?