NPC mounts? Are you kidding?

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

Not sure how feasible it would be but in a future expansion it would be cool if we had to use mounts to get to different places just like how we use Gliding in Heart of Thorns. It’s safe to say that waypoints render mounts useless but surely there could be a region of the world where leylines are scarce and therefore waypoints are extremely rare.

I could see a Kralkatorrik expansion where we have to ride a mount to get over uninhabitable regions of Dragonbrand corruption, maybe a breed of minor dragon immune to its’ effects. Or maybe a Seadragon expansion where you can traverse the surface of the ocean Windwaker style in a vessel, as a quick way of getting to the region you want to dive into.

But I can’t see mounts being introduce elsewhere in Tyria without some sort of restrictions like the ones placed on Gliders.

And will your mount res you when you’re dead or is you character gone afterwards? IF your mount dies as well what wouldhappen to you?

Some mounts used by enemies:

Siege devourers by Charr
Combat wolves by Stone summit dwarves
Dead horses by necrid horsemen
Beetles by Costic frogs

Some transformations used in gameplay:
Junundu wurms
Siege devourers
scorps in EotM

A mount used by allies
scruffy by taimi.

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

Posted by: MisterOiZo.4359

MisterOiZo.4359

I don’t care for mounts

Posted by: narwhalsbend.7059

narwhalsbend.7059

Hates humans ?
Wants mounts ?

WoW is that way, OP —>

Posted by: Mordeus.1234

Mordeus.1234

And will your mount res you when you’re dead or is you character gone afterwards? IF your mount dies as well what wouldhappen to you?

Well we have gemstore mounts which are inanimate objects and are summoned out of nowhere. So if an actual useful mount like I mentioned was created then it would probably work the same way or like the Junundu worms from Nightfall.

But if the mount of a non-living object like a ocean faring vessel or golem, then death is no problem. I could even imagine some Asura coming up with a summoning system like the Asuran Beacons that summoned Golems to your location.

So you come to a large stretch of ocean that is boring to swim through or some sort of quick sand river. Simply set off a beacon and some Asuran mount comes for you ride across with. It’s a bit niche but I could see it being handy if a underwater expansion comes out where traveling on the surface might be needed.

Posted by: shejesa.3712

shejesa.3712

There are SOOOOOOO many people who will never even try this game because there are no mounts. On top of that, showing mounted NPC’s is just salt in the wound for players who want mounts (and I mean functional mounts, not that magic carpet trash.)

Magic Carpet is lacking only one thing to be mount. This game don’t need much more that carpet-like stuffs, it’d be great to have perma swiftness on them. It’ll be mount of this game, since it doesnt need more, with +20 wp on each map.

Posted by: bmountjoy.1423

bmountjoy.1423

So many fallacy’s my god OP, learn how to construct an argument..

Learn to elucidate you objection more clearly. A fallacy is a contradiction or inconsistency. In what way did I contradict myself? Waypoints represent something real and symbolic at the SAME TIME. How can something be both real and fake? That is a fallacy. Repairing ANY number of broken items for the same price? That is a fallacy. Repairing cloth and leather gear at an anvil? That is is fallacy.

Also the way you spelled fallacy’s is possessive. Should have been fallacies. LOL.

Posted by: bmountjoy.1423

bmountjoy.1423

I hate to break it to you, but “immersive travel” has never been a staple of the guild wars franchise. ns that I don’t quite understand.

Originally the game developers said that they wanted to create enthusiasm for the joy of movement. That was their main argument against flying. They argued that flying over an area made it seem less immense. While this may not have been a staple of the original GW the developers made it seem like immersive travel was going to a focus of THIS game. I doubt you can still find those original youtube videos from 2011-2012, but I remember them clearly.

This is a more pertinent issue now because mounted NPCs t prevent players who care from ignoring the issue. I would be satisfied if they eliminated mounted NPCs without adding mounts. However, forcing me to recognize upon every venture into the Heart of Maguuma that bully players don’t want me to play how I want to… Its enough to make me want to quit this game.

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

Mounts would flesh out your character. It’s a strange world where we can tame beasts and slay dragons but where it apparently hasn’t occurred to us that we might be able to saddle up a horse and save ourselves some shoe leather.

Posted by: leftyboy.9358

leftyboy.9358

Well, you can always press “F” to steal their mount, just beware of the cops.

you get 2 stars for stealing an npc’s mount. If you run over innocent players on your rampage you get bumped to 5 stars and the remnants of the pact fleet hunt you down for war crimes, in their choppers.

Posted by: Ithilwen.1529

Ithilwen.1529

I’d point out that gliders are mounts of sorts.

Mesmerising Girl

Posted by: Majic.4801

Majic.4801

Mounts are inevitable.

Because ponies.

“Not the same, real and true. True you feel inside.
Always follow what is true.” — Sentry-skritt Bordekka

Posted by: Safer Saviour.9685

Safer Saviour.9685

I wouldn’t mind more mounts like the gliders; area-specific vehicles kept within spaces that are designed to support their use. Thematically and mechanically, mounts that altered speed or altitude would not fit within the areas of Core Tyria. Those older maps are simply not designed to support such things. However, newer areas can be designed in whatever way the developers choose and after seeing how well the gliding system has been implimented, I would not be averse to a similar option elsewhere.

People have mentioned the desert wurms from GW1, for within the toxic and stormy areas occupied by Joko and Kralkattorik. That would be awesome.

Posted by: Canakun.8031

Canakun.8031

what stats do you have to suggest that a large number of players will join the game if mounts become available?

Mamorou Itou Defense Club.
Protect him at all costs.

Posted by: Narrrz.7532

Narrrz.7532

I wouldn’t mind more mounts like the gliders; area-specific vehicles kept within spaces that are designed to support their use. Thematically and mechanically, mounts that altered speed or altitude would not fit within the areas of Core Tyria. Those older maps are simply not designed to support such things. However, newer areas can be designed in whatever way the developers choose and after seeing how well the gliding system has been implimented, I would not be averse to a similar option elsewhere.

People have mentioned the desert wurms from GW1, for within the toxic and stormy areas occupied by Joko and Kralkattorik. That would be awesome.

This.

Like the desolation down in elona presumably will require some kind of transport to cross, if we ever make it that far (kralkatorrik xpac???)

Posted by: Paralux.6714

Paralux.6714

Err, don’t mind GW2 not having mounts at all. It would just be irritating and more messy since there are so many players.
One thing I found annoying with some NPCs though is that they have op skills, like Kashmeers ability to put portals ANYWHERE or how Countess Anise can make like 1000 clones. :P

m e s m e r <3

Posted by: leftyboy.9358

leftyboy.9358

what stats do you have to suggest that a large number of players will join the game if mounts become available?

Who needs facts when you can have belief. And belief doesn’t tell you you’re wrong.