New Profession: Revenant

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Menzies The Heretic.3415

Menzies The Heretic.3415

The Revenant controls powers from the mists:

Channel legendary powers to slaughter foes and unleash chaos on the battlefield with our brand new profession: the revenant. Enter the field of battle heavily armored and equipped with the otherworldly powers of the Mists.

Link

Rytlock Brimstone jumped into the hole and never returned.
It appears that Rytlock returns as a Revenant in the new expansion.

Attachments:

* Twitch – Mênzîes – Mesmer pvp
* YouTube – Fun, guides and gameplay

(edited by Menzies The Heretic.3415)

Posted by: Janderson.4670

Janderson.4670

So what do u guys think the legends of old we will be able to us…. King Jalis Ironhammer and Malyx were both mentioned…..

Posted by: zityz.6089

zityz.6089

Seams like Glint can be another one, which looks like what the end of the trailer showed.

Basically a Ritualist and a Dervish combined into one and I’m okay with that.

Posted by: Lord Trejgon.2809

Lord Trejgon.2809

trailer suggest somekind of a dragon as there is part when rytlock uses somekind of chanel-like skill and a dragin shows up above him….

but the only dragons from the legends of GW I can think about are Glint and that one from cantha that I don’t remember the name of…

and that one looked like neither

shiro tagachi maybe?
also the lichguy from prop comes in mind – if they confirmed one bad guy why not more of them….

“-Shield is meant to be broken!”
“-and on this occasion I keep mine plate armors”
discussion about offensive/deffensive playstyles

Posted by: Teleoceras.1298

Teleoceras.1298

Well, I know what my 17th character will be! Better store up more Tomes of Knowledge.

29 characters!
League of Omnipotents [Omni], Fort Aspenwood

Posted by: Morfedel.4165

Morfedel.4165

I was gonna say, if I want I’ll be able to pop up any new character to level 80 within a minute or so of getting through tutorial.

But it might be fun to just play through him the regular way. Tough call. Maybe I’ll just make two LOL

Posted by: Mental Paradox.3845

Mental Paradox.3845

It’ll be my 16th character. One of my six tier-2 mains, probably.

Posted by: roachsrealm.9284

roachsrealm.9284

so RITlock is a RITualist now?

planned from the start! HL3 confirmed!

Smitten Mittens (The Gothic Embrace [Goth], Fort Aspenwood)

Posted by: Smitty.9432

Smitty.9432

I’m still not understanding the similarities people see with the dervish class. I can see the relationship to the ritualist as it’s wearing a blindfold and the description of “Channel legendary and otherwordly powers.” Plus it looks as though it’s holding some sort of scepter, although it may be a sword.

roachsrealm.9284

the dervish used avatars and powers of the (at the time) 5 human gods, channeling their abilities through their skill use. The new profession does the same kind of thing, but its not limited to the 6 human gods, instead its based on heroes of the past through the mists (glint, abbadon, mallyx, etc.)

hopefully there is a skill that channels prince rurik. that would be better than anything else in this expansion.

Posted by: digiowl.9620

digiowl.9620

Dunno why, but i think we will be looking at something like a elementalist or engineer in mechanical terms.

Posted by: Gnat.9405

Gnat.9405

Rurik
Shiro
Lich
Bonfaazz Burntfur <3
Abaddon elite

Posted by: Uhaen.9876

Uhaen.9876

Mhenlo. Definitely Mhenlo.

Lord Trejgon.2809

It’ll be my 16th character. One of my six tier-2 mains, probably.

will be 6th (7th if we count deleted characters) of mine and probably one of my “main” mains

I’m gonna bring one of mine GW characters back to GW2 :P
[as I keep fanlore for all my chars, I have one closely related to the mists which “just never came back from one of journeys” so as it way yourney into the void….

hey who said it cannot find her way to tyria 250 years later? :P]

PS. yeah yeah she was ritualist PvP character

Posted by: Gnat.9405

Gnat.9405

Have a lv20 scroll and 60 times of knowledge ready

Lord Trejgon.2809

I’m still not understanding the similarities people see with the dervish class. I can see the relationship to the ritualist as it’s wearing a blindfold and the description of “Channel legendary and otherwordly powers.” Plus it looks as though it’s holding some sort of scepter, although it may be a sword.

rytlock was using mostly on trailer his madgaer (human crafted ancient very powerfull sword)

Posted by: Tanith.5264

Tanith.5264

Maybe we’ll be able to channel Alesia the Amazing Tanking Monk from GW1 and run headlong into the enemy!

Tanith Fencewalker, Tanni Mindbender, Thyra Wrathbringer, Lovecraft Thrall
Guardians of the Vault [GotV] and Guíld of Dívíne Soldíers [GoDS]
Gate of Madness server

Smitty.9432

Why do I feel like the playstyle is going to be similar to something like a power necro build? Relatively tanky/high health with mad DPS but minimal escapes.

roachsrealm.9284

It looks like it will be just the opposite I think… tanky, low health, and high mobility. he was teleporting between enemies during one attack chain. lots of aoe spike it looks like so far.

Posted by: Feothyr.6072

Feothyr.6072

Mhenlo. Definitely Mhenlo.

Oh God – please not Mhenlo! He was always so kittening slow … before he even realized you needed healing, you’d die, get resurrected and then killed again … >_<’’

It’d be so awesome if we were able to channel the spirit of Gwen! <3

Goroth – Necro | Valea – Mesmer
Naneth – Guardian | Brannoc Oakbark – Ranger
Is all that we see or seem just a dream within a dream?

Posted by: Gulesave.5073

Gulesave.5073

Channel Prince Rurick? Why would I want a skill that makes me bumrush mobs alone and die every five seconds?

I should be writing.

Posted by: Kentaine.4692

Kentaine.4692

Channel Prince Rurick? Why would I want a skill that makes me bumrush mobs alone and die every five seconds?

Because Ritlock is a Charr… they wanted it for the irony not because it would necessarily be cool. Although, since Ritlock has Rurik’s sword it would make sense he learned how to channel the heroes of the mist through that connection.

roachsrealm.9284

Rurik Skill: Shout “I was once a boy in these lands!”
-AoE Cripple, Vuln
-Vuln self
-deal double damage / take double damage until another ally enters melee range.
-cry

Smitty.9432

always had to yolo

Posted by: Janderson.4670

Janderson.4670

Perhaps we could get Dhuum or Menzies… that would be awesome!

Posted by: Phaerim.9362

Phaerim.9362

Channel the power of pre-god Kormir.

We will be obnoxious and insanely illogical in our gameplay, and take credit for everything everyone else does!

Far Shiverpeaks – EU – Ragnarok of Primordus
Norn Guardian

Posted by: jdlawhorn.8061

jdlawhorn.8061

Sounds more like Trahearne to me…

[VG] – Jade Quarry
Damien Shadowweave (Human Mesmer [main]), Damien Woodstrider (Human Ranger),
Izaak Bezaleel (Human Elementalist), Bruadhar (Sylvari Mesmer), Vyndaen (Sylvari Elementalist)

Posted by: Kentaine.4692

Kentaine.4692

Channel the power of pre-god Kormir.

We will be obnoxious and insanely illogical in our gameplay, and take credit for everything everyone else does!

Wouldn’t that mean we’re finally sticking up for ourselves and taking credit for what we do though? Isn’t this a good thing?

Posted by: Ascimator.6735

Ascimator.6735

From the description it looks like an elementalist with a different scheme.

Posted by: MadDemon.7548

MadDemon.7548

Almost makes me want to reroll my Guardian Charr as a revenant.

Posted by: Jokubas.4265

Jokubas.4265

Because the Dervish also channeled legendary and otherworldly powers, that of the gods, and was more of a fighter. This really does feel, based on this early impression, like a blending of the Ritualist’s connection to spirits, with the Dervish’s channeling and fighting ability.

In fact, I wouldn’t even be surprised if Revenant gets a Dervish Specialization that trades channeling heroes with channeling gods, and in Cantha gets a Ritualist Specialization that gives them more casting capabilities.

Posted by: Pants Are Dangerous.2079

Pants Are Dangerous.2079

Am I the only one who feels that the revenant is almost like a heavy armor multi race ritualist ?

Also (I know I am going to get a lot of flak for this) but I don’t really like the name revenant, it doesn’t indicate very clearly what the class is.

(edited by Pants Are Dangerous.2079)

Posted by: Skeletonwitch.3280

Skeletonwitch.3280

Also (I know I am going to get a lot of flak for this) but I don’t really like the name revenant, it doesn’t indicate very clearly what the class is.

I can agree with you on that. I mean…

rev·e·nant
noun: revenant; plural noun: revenants

a person who has returned, especially supposedly from the dead.

So a newborn Sylvari has returned from what exactly?

:Team Skritt:

Megaserver kittening kittens! :-(

Posted by: Invictus.1503

Invictus.1503

I respectfully disagree. A Revenant is typically used to reference somebody who has come back from the dead. This seems somewhat fitting for somebody who went into the mists (Anet version of an afterlife) and came back. He also summons the spirits of dead and legendary heroes. Seems rather fitting to me.

It’s better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Posted by: Testudo.4620

Testudo.4620

Am I the only one who feels that the revenant is almost like a heavy armor multi race ritualist ?

yes

Zhaife
Graduated top of class esports academy
#1 on fractal leaderboards

Posted by: Noviere.7309

Noviere.7309

I get that they wanted 3 light/3 medium/3 heavy, but as someone who loved the original ritualist, I can’t help but feel a bit disappointed that the likelihood of us ever getting them is now pretty much non-existent.

Still, it sounds like a fun profession.

(edited by Noviere.7309)

Posted by: Thevaultdwellinggamer.4267

Thevaultdwellinggamer.4267

Arggg! oh anet… Now I have to delete my main for the new profession… I hope your happy now X(

Posted by: Oreithyia.3064

Oreithyia.3064

I think either they made a funny pun or they actually made a mistake when they translated “Revenant” into German. Revenant coming from lt. “revenire”- to come home/back means something totally different than Widergänger (“wider” means “against”/“counter” and"gänger" means “Walker”), but perhaps they just wanted to make to sound it less zombie-like, since that’s what the “Wiedergänger” ("wieder"means “again”)with an “e” basically is…the second one would be a closer translation to the “Revenant” though.

I’m a bit excited…seems like I have to bury one of my characters to try out that class. <3~
I really liked playing the Ritualist and the Derwish…their design was pretty cool. And I’d like to see what kind of heroes the Revenant can channel.

(edited by Oreithyia.3064)

Posted by: LordBanon.6803

LordBanon.6803

The comparison to Dervish sounds about right. It’s probably not going to be much like a Ritualist except for the aesthetics, I’d guess. The description does say “channel legendary powers” but I don’t think that should be taken as literally summoning legends from the Mist. (A heavy armor class running around with a bunch of high HP minions sounds like nerfbait right there)

The core mechanics of the Ritualist also got pretty effectively farmed out to Engie and Necro already, whereas we don’t really have something quite like the flash enchant (initial effect on cast + fixed duration boon) and sacrifice (attack + bonus effect for flash enchant removal) mechanic.

Revenant sounds like a good lore consistent way to introduce similar ideas without relying on the concept of human gods, which was always one of the sticking points when discussing Dervish for GW2. Imagine F1-F4 as “channel a legend” skills, with an on-cast effect and a lesser ongoing benefit, and then each mainhand weapon having at least one skill that puts the active channel on cooldown for additional benefit.

Avatar (aka transformation) skills might also make a comeback as a feature of a class (instead of Necro/Ele/Warrior getting one each as an elite) and it might be cool to have that be coupled to the class’ core mechanic, for example, you choose the transform based on your active F-skill (a la Ele glyphs)

So looking forward to what they are going to do with this new class.

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

Seems very similar in concept to my Reaper class idea in concept
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/New-Soldier-Class-Reaper/page/2#post4725022
Pretty cool.

Seem like taking on the soul of a legendary hero will be the transformations. I noticed that some of these transformations includes monsters as well. This is awesome.

Invictus.1503

I’m predicting this will be a heavy buff/debuff class. Engi received the ritualist style of turrets for offensive turrets (such as Spirit of Pain), but they didn’t get much of the buff/debuff type spirits (Union and Disenchanter spirits).

Though I don’t think they will summon much in the respect of turret piece, but probably more of an aura on/around the Revenant. I’m very much looking forward to this profession if this is the case.

It’s better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Knighthonor.4061

I’m predicting this will be a heavy buff/debuff class. Engi received the ritualist style of turrets for offensive turrets (such as Spirit of Pain), but they didn’t get much of the buff/debuff type spirits (Union and Disenchanter spirits).

Though I don’t think they will summon much in the respect of turret piece, but probably more of an aura on/around the Revenant. I’m very much looking forward to this profession if this is the case.

As somebody pointed out to me in my Reaper thread, that idea of stationary spirits is basically the Ranger’s spirits without traits.
But nothing wrong with that since many classes share Skill Types (Ranger and Thiefs share Traps, Warriors and Guardians and others share Shouts, etc)

Posted by: TYHE.6435

TYHE.6435

I wonder if this profession had been already designed when GW2 launched or they have been working on it later. Apart from simple curiosity, this might indicate how well would it fit to the current strength balance. If it was forced only to fill the gap in heavy profession row, then something might go wrong with it. But personally i like it and I probably will try it. Though I would like to do this on my new race (largos) character. But no largos I suppose… ;(

Knighthonor.4061

Because the Dervish also channeled legendary and otherworldly powers, that of the gods, and was more of a fighter. This really does feel, based on this early impression, like a blending of the Ritualist’s connection to spirits, with the Dervish’s channeling and fighting ability.

In fact, I wouldn’t even be surprised if Revenant gets a Dervish Specialization that trades channeling heroes with channeling gods, and in Cantha gets a Ritualist Specialization that gives them more casting capabilities.

Man I was spot on with my Reaper class idea.
It’s just like what the Revenant became.
A more dark heavy armored Dervish/Rit combo.
Dervish were holy warriors, while Rev are darker warriors.
Similar in concept they transform into avatars of the souls of the dead and corrupted.
Dervish transformed into avatars of Fallen Gods.
They both Melee oriented but with magical attacks as well.

Be prepared to do a lot of 1-5 skills switching similar to Engineer kits.

What would be even cooler would be for the transformations to switch out your 3 utility skills instead of weapon skills like Engineer kits work, but in the Utilities instead. That could be pretty cool, but would need to be powerful to make up for the losing your utilities while in transformation.

I look forward to this. I want to see what Anet came up with for resource management of the mechanic. I had the Bloodstone idea, but many people on the forum didn’t like that. So I want to see what Anet comes up with.

Also want to see what their secondary classes are.
Can’t wait!!!

Knighthonor.4061

I wonder if this profession had been already designed when GW2 launched or they have been working on it later. Apart from simple curiosity, this might indicate how well would it fit to the current strength balance. If it was forced only to fill the gap in heavy profession row, then something might go wrong with it. But personally i like it and I probably will try it. Though I would like to do this on my new race (largos) character. But no largos I suppose… ;(

Seem like it was planned, since the soldier archetype unlike the others only had 2 classes at launch and early concept art lead to speculation that a dark soldier was in the making pre launch but scrapped for future update.

Also I doubt they worried about balance too much, because balance is really an illusion. No game with multiple classes are ever truly balanced….

Posted by: Sube Dai.8496

Sube Dai.8496

Weapons so far appear to be:

1. sword
2. staff or hammer (1:37 in trailer)
3. Bow (revenant section of the HoT homepage)

John Snowman [GLTY]
Space Marine Z [GLTY]

Posted by: Pants Are Dangerous.2079

Pants Are Dangerous.2079

@Invictus

Thank you for the explanation, the name revenant does make more sense. This however raises other concerns.

With all the other professions are named according to the archetype they represent, will new players understand that the new revenant profession will be based on the death knight archetype when the name originates from an in game event ?

Invictus.1503

@Invictus

Thank you for the explanation, the name revenant does make more sense. This however raises other concerns.

With all the other professions are named according to the archetype they represent, will new players understand that the new revenant profession will be based on the death knight archetype when the name originates from an in game event ?

Well to answer your question, that depends on the person’s vocabulary skills (or ability to type a word into google). If they know the meaning of the word, I would assume that most could infer that the mechanic is based on either visiting the realm of the dead and returning, or probably more accurate to play style, bringing the dead to the realm of the living.

please don’t take my answer as sarcastic or demeaning as it wasn’t intended that way, though in rereading it I can see it may look that way

Posted by: Lewis Burnell.2493

Lewis Burnell.2493

Why do I feel like the playstyle is going to be similar to something like a power necro build? Relatively tanky/high health with mad DPS but minimal escapes.

That’s my only concern. Colin did say Mallyx would be conditions, however.

Posted by: tuck.2719

tuck.2719

Of course this is all rampant speculation, but my impression of the class (particularly based on the video) is that the channeling of legends would involve channeling specific classes which would give different types of skills. The video showed Rytlock at one point acting like a thief, at another acting like a caster, and the presenter mentioned one legend providing the ability to apply conditions.

So possibly similar to elementalist attunements (or as someone else mentioned, engineer kits), you channel a particular legend to gain a specific skill set at a time, making this potentially a very flexible class.

(edited by tuck.2719)