Not a fan of Revenant...

Not a fan of Revenant...

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Jarvis.9540

Jarvis.9540

Perhaps I will like it when they add the rest of the weapons. The hammer damage is very low, and the axe/mace combo is torment-based which doesn’t lend itself to static pve fights. The traits are interesting, but each tree feels pretty isolated. I feel like other classes I’ve played have more synergistic trees. Also, the energy system feels way out of place in the GW2 universe. I was hoping the class would be more of a shadowknight/death knight/dark knight style class, but that doesn’t seem to be the case. This is only my opinion, of course. Others may like it.

Not a fan of Revenant...

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I agree that the two current Legends available don’t synergize terribly well. I found Jalis much handier and stayed in it for most of the stress test. But there should be two or three more Legends coming that will hopefully better work together.

Not a fan of Revenant...

Posted by: Dastion.3106

Dastion.3106

As it stands now – I’m not a huge fan of the Revenant and ANet hasn’t stepped in to clarify some of the most obvious flaws in their design.

My primary issue is their lack of flexibility. When it comes to your skills you currently have 3-4 decision points. Two Legends then either a a single 2h weapon or a MH & OH. That makes them extremely restricted. Most professions get more flexibility in just their weapons – never mind being able to customize their utilities fully.

Having each Legend linked to a set 5 skills is a flaw I hope they address. All they have to do is give each legend about 5 utilities so that there is a greater degree of customization in that regard and they’ll probably be fine.

Not a fan of Revenant...

Posted by: Quiznos.4296

Quiznos.4296

Hard to pass judgement on it skill wise as we’re only seeing like a fifth of what it’ll have on release.

Not a fan of Revenant...

Jarvis.9540

Hard to pass judgement on it skill wise as we’re only seeing like a fifth of what it’ll have on release.

That is true, but I figured that people who weren’t fortunate enough to get into the BETA would want to hear our first impressions of the new features.

Not a fan of Revenant...

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

I didnt enjoy it much during the stress test, however one of the issues is not having time to “grow” into the profession and learn it from scratch. I need that grace time personally.

I much preferred the mace and axe combo to hammer tho.

Not a fan of Revenant...

Quiznos.4296

Haha, I’m actually not in it.
I appreciate your posts! I was hoping they’d have shown you guys more.

Not a fan of Revenant...

Posted by: Jinroh.4251

Jinroh.4251

I don’t mind the Revenant but they really could have used Weapon Swap. I mean the traits have stuff that compensate for being melee or ranged but eh. I like being able to switch depending on the situation.

Not a fan of Revenant...

Posted by: Sneakier.9460

Sneakier.9460

They are using Celestial Gear, not zerker.

Gunnars Hold= Tuga Land

Not a fan of Revenant...

Posted by: IrishPotato.6327

IrishPotato.6327

I don’t mind the Revenant but they really could have used Weapon Swap. I mean the traits have stuff that compensate for being melee or ranged but eh. I like being able to switch depending on the situation.

Would you like to have a word with eles and engineers?

Not a fan of Revenant...

Jarvis.9540

They are using Celestial Gear, not zerker.

So are the other professions. I made a Guardian (my most familiar) to see the difference in dps, and it is immediately noticeable.

Not a fan of Revenant...

Posted by: katbirdseat.8513

katbirdseat.8513

I really wish I’d made a character I was comfortable with for the beta instead of trying the Revenant. It wasn’t bad, but wasn’t great either. I think I just would have enjoyed the Beta more using skills I’m familiar with rather than trying to learn a whole new character in one hour. I’d still probably try the Revenant again once HoT comes out.

Not a fan of Revenant...

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

I’m finding Rev absolutely rocks. I’m starting to feel a little bit of hype…

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Not a fan of Revenant...

Quiznos.4296

I really wish I’d made a character I was comfortable with for the beta instead of trying the Revenant. It wasn’t bad, but wasn’t great either. I think I just would have enjoyed the Beta more using skills I’m familiar with rather than trying to learn a whole new character in one hour. I’d still probably try the Revenant again once HoT comes out.

You weren’t allowed to re-roll?

Not a fan of Revenant...

Jarvis.9540

You weren’t allowed to re-roll?

You can. I started Revenant, then deleted it to make a Guardian.

Not a fan of Revenant...

Posted by: heartless.6803

heartless.6803

I agree, I felt they were weak slow and clunky.

I just don’t like the legend system, I find that either of the legends have 1 or 2 utilities I just don’t care for. They seem entirely too self condition based, which doesn’t actually increase their own damage. I don’t know if they’ll get better with better gear but in celestial gear they kinda blow really.

I really hope they add the rest of the traits and weapons and give gear other then celestial to actually test around with them.

Disclaimer: Under no circumstance should you take this seriously.

Not a fan of Revenant...

Posted by: Tristan.5678

Tristan.5678

Came to beat the dead horse as well … not fan of revenatn instead of some cool bad kitten class some kind of " 2 Handed Hammer Throwing Dark Knight " reaction Mehh :/

Only I think Hammer auto attack is lame …like who god kitten it wield a hammer like that O_o?
Not cool not cool at all

Not a fan of Revenant...

Posted by: PlatinumMember.5274

PlatinumMember.5274

Just because the revenant is a new class doesn’t mean you have to like it. There is nothing special about it from the other 8 other than it came out 3 years later than the others.

Not every class is going to appeal to everybody, which is what you OP and the others are beginning to figure it out. A lot of people get hyped over the new and shiny, it is childlike but normal.

Remember not everybody is going to like everything and that is perfectly OK.

Not a fan of Revenant...

Posted by: mulzi.8273

mulzi.8273

I am looking forward to a more polished skill set in the next beta. It felt extremely clunky/slow, with no damage to speak of. Could be the gear though, as the runes were just toughness/vit on celestrial so i’ll reserve judgement.

Definately preferred mace/axe. I spent alot of time in SW soloing everything, and with this stress test, i was kinda bored fighting a scorpion or healer. Dmg was just not there to put pressure on. cooldowns were too high to get into a flow…

All in all, it felt like a less polished dervish from GW1, without the damage. Hopefully they continue to tweak with the numbers on cooldowns and damage…

Not a fan of Revenant...

heartless.6803

Just because the revenant is a new class doesn’t mean you have to like it. There is nothing special about it from the other 8 other than it came out 3 years later than the others.

Not every class is going to appeal to everybody, which is what you OP and the others are beginning to figure it out. A lot of people get hyped over the new and shiny, it is childlike but normal.

Remember not everybody is going to like everything and that is perfectly OK.

I really think you’re missing the entire point here. The disappointment has nothing to do with the class mechanics or how they play. They just severally under perform compared to other professions and leave next to no choice for customization of character.

This isn’t a I don’t think revanants are as cool as guardians or warriors thread.

Chill out man.

Not a fan of Revenant...

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

I have to say, some people are very fast to judge.

The class is not even done design wise. Also the way I see it, revenant will not be top spot dps, that would be nuts.

Tell me again, how many classes can use they utilities almost at wish with no cd?

Only one coming close is thief with weapon skills.

To believe that revenant would be top dps with that amount of skill constantly available is very far out.

Maybe alternative support, medium damage or something along those lines.

Not a fan of Revenant...

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

Well no one said have to like all the classes

Not a fan of Revenant...

Posted by: Atramp.7089

Atramp.7089

just remember that the Mallyx the Unyielding skills work by taking up conditions and then making you more powerful by having those conditions, with so many revenants around the damage of the class was going to be a bit lower

Not a fan of Revenant...

Posted by: skowcia.8257

skowcia.8257

I like revenant a lot. Had a blast with 3 hammers circling around me. Thats said hammer 5 and mace 2 could use some cast reduce. Mace 2 defintiely need it casttime reduced as i feel im losing too much dps compared to fast paced autoattack.

obey me

Not a fan of Revenant...

Posted by: Nilix.2170

Nilix.2170

I like the Revenant feel, but I don’t like the skills I’m running with. Having only those skills and not being able to change them outside of swapping Legends didn’t really give you much to go on. A lot of how Mallyx functions feels like it’d be better when playing WvW or something. Torments aren’t doing much of anything on tendrils and vines. I didn’t feel the usefulness of taunt neither in large groups, small groups, nor solo. And I didn’t really take in much conditions other than poisons to transfer them to my opponent that I wasn’t self-inflicting.

The skills themselves are nice and I can see them being good utility. I just felt like it was a pretty uninteresting build for PvE.

Mortar Shot is STILL nerfed by 28%
Purity of Purpose

Not a fan of Revenant...

Posted by: nikdik.1934

nikdik.1934

Well it’s not like you have 8 other Professions to pick from or anything…

Not a fan of Revenant...

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

just remember that the Mallyx the Unyielding skills work by taking up conditions and then making you more powerful by having those conditions, with so many revenants around the damage of the class was going to be a bit lower

Yeah, I felt my guy was quite a lot more effective when he was on his own. Unfortunately. With Anet’s planned condi revamp we should see a change there. Unless the revamp was part of the beta.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Not a fan of Revenant...

Posted by: Shick.1684

Shick.1684

Not a fan of Revenant...

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

Keep in mind, the damage is due to Celestial gear.

The traits are weird though, since there’s only 3 trait lines, and Power isn’t one of them.

I’m not sure what Revenant is supposed to be. The skills are very interesting and quite fun though.

Not a fan of Revenant...

Posted by: Eros.6801

Eros.6801

May be i will like Rev when they release all content about this class now…meh and celestial gear make it even worse.

Not a fan of Revenant...

Posted by: Hoser.8361

Hoser.8361

I started Reve, felt too confused (it seems to have pieces of every profession, it’s the Ichigo Kurosaki of GW2 professions) and went to Mes, but then realized I didn’t want to play without my gear and the likelihood of me unlocking the stuff I want to see and there was no shield.
So I went back to Rev, played pretty far in. I got used to it, it wasn’t bad. It could be fun, it needs some tweaking, and I never got into the traits or anything meta.
Also it was better when I stuck with Jalis.

Not a fan of Revenant...

Posted by: Rose Solane.1027

Rose Solane.1027

I had fun running around as a Revenant with a hammer in the beta. I wasn’t bothered by the lack of damage. I have my doubt if the class will give enough variety in skills you can use. Your Legend defines which 5 utility skills you have. Yes, you can swap your Legend but that will give you only 5 other utility skills. And making an interesting build will be more difficult if you cannot combine utility skills freely.

Piken Square, The descendants of Gwen

Not a fan of Revenant...

heartless.6803

I started Reve, felt too confused (it seems to have pieces of every profession, it’s the Ichigo Kurosaki of GW2 professions) and went to Mes, but then realized I didn’t want to play without my gear and the likelihood of me unlocking the stuff I want to see and there was no shield.
So I went back to Rev, played pretty far in. I got used to it, it wasn’t bad. It could be fun, it needs some tweaking, and I never got into the traits or anything meta.
Also it was better when I stuck with Jalis.

the entire map stuck with jalis and mace/axe. Mallyx is only really useful if you’re going up against somebody that is a heavy condi dealer. Tormet is just plain terrible in pve, the damage is so stupidly low.

Not a fan of Revenant...

Posted by: eaxe.8570

eaxe.8570

It was ok, need to play it more and see.

Edit round 2- loved it

(edited by eaxe.8570)

Not a fan of Revenant...

Posted by: McFailsauce.8250

McFailsauce.8250

I found it interesting and fun to play, while realizing that it is still in beta and will need some minor refinements to make it an excellent new addition to my stable. I’m assuming that it will have 5 trait lines like all the others once published (there were only 3 available for the first beta).

Hammer has some great choices for attacks and I really warmed to it over the two hours. Mace/Axe combo not so much. Mace seemed to require too much wind up for a couple of attacks and overall had lower damage than hammer.

It is nice to see those two weapons getting a little use as I’ve tried and discarded them with my Warriors and Guardians…

Overall, I’m looking forward to creating and playing one when HoT is released.

Not a fan of Revenant...

Posted by: Nocturnal Lunacy.8563

Nocturnal Lunacy.8563

First of all people the Revenant is not meant to be a major damage dealer. It’s a tank and therefore does low damage like a tank does. That’s why they are full celestial. Get your heads out of the stupid meta crap and think.

Forever Against Stacked Servers
Virual [VRUS] Alien Lunatics [StFu] Nocturnal Sxaddx [Nuts] Ft. Aspenwood
That which is dead may eternally lie, but with great aeons even death may die.

Not a fan of Revenant...

heartless.6803

First of all people the Revenant is not meant to be a major damage dealer. It’s a tank and therefore does low damage like a tank does. That’s why they are full celestial. Get your heads out of the stupid meta crap and think.

There is no “tank” based professions. They have a defense legendary equipped and a Condi Legendary stance thats their only options.

Celestial gear sucks on nearly everyone. It has some decent uses for certain build of certain classes but in general it’s terrible gear. It doesn’t allow you to specialize in something but instead forces you to be a jack of all trades, something the revanant is not able to even remotely do. Celestial gear is probably the very worst on revanant then any other profession, due to the very limited profession options you have.

It’s not a “meta” thing, it’s just how that profession is designed.

Not a fan of Revenant...

Nilix.2170

Everyone was full celestial in the beta. Everyone.

Purity of Purpose

Not a fan of Revenant...

Nocturnal Lunacy.8563

There is no “tank” based professions. They have a defense legendary equipped and a Condi Legendary stance thats their only options.

Celestial gear sucks on nearly everyone. It has some decent uses for certain build of certain classes but in general it’s terrible gear. It doesn’t allow you to specialize in something but instead forces you to be a jack of all trades, something the revanant is not able to even remotely do. Celestial gear is probably the very worst on revanant then any other profession, due to the very limited profession options you have.

It’s not a “meta” thing, it’s just how that profession is designed.

Have you even bothered changing around the traits? They had 2 axes, 2 maces and a hammer available to use each with different sigils. It was very easy for me to figure out how to do optimal damage while using the gear I was provided. But then again I know how to make my own builds and not go to a site to hunt down builds.

Not a fan of Revenant...

Posted by: bain of man.6857

bain of man.6857

if i wanted to “tank”, i’d be in soldier’s, not celestial.

Not a fan of Revenant...

Posted by: Navazarian.9246

Navazarian.9246

You seem to be taking this very personally, everyone has a right to their opinion. Nobody is trashing it to warrant the attitude some folks are throwing back at them.

(edited by Navazarian.9246)

Not a fan of Revenant...

Nocturnal Lunacy.8563

This is a thread about the Revenant not other classes.

Not a fan of Revenant...

Posted by: Merithamos.9076

Merithamos.9076

Hammer is slow, Mace/Axe + Mallyx is condition. Jalis is tanky.
So let’s wait for Sword + Shiro with berserker gear

Not a fan of Revenant...

Posted by: DarkusRogue.3027

DarkusRogue.3027

I normally despise melee classes, but I enjoyed what I played of the Rev in the beta. Didn’t play it for long, but I had fun. Might’ve convinced me to play one on release.

Not a fan of Revenant...

heartless.6803

What literally everyone was saying is, in full celestial every other class was doing more damage then revenant. All of them were doing more. Why were they doing more? Because we got like 1/3 of a class with this testing. It’s like giving elementalists a staff and only 2 elements and saying here go test things.

They didn’t give us the damage stance yet, it’s a defense stance and a very niche role condi stance.

There isn’t a role of “damage dealer” and “tank” and “support” Those are builds not class roles. The main issue people are saying is the lack of getting to pick your utilities means you can’ specialize in any of those or well in anything at all. The legendary stances, albeit decent for solo work, offers little options for specializing and makes them not very good in groups because of it.

Not a fan of Revenant...

Posted by: Wintyr.1780

Wintyr.1780

the class is sooo incomlete i cant make and informed choice on this untill i see all traits and skills but the mace/axe is not to bad

Not a fan of Revenant...

Posted by: DragonflyDusk.6582

DragonflyDusk.6582

You just said that Revenants were in celestial gear because they were tanks. Nilix pointed out that everyone was in celestial gear, implying that being a tank had nothing to do with it.

[ I survived the 2015 April Fools Forum Meltdown ]

Not a fan of Revenant...

Posted by: octagon.6504

octagon.6504

After getting use to it, it started to work for me. To soon to pass judgement until I experience Rev’s full skills and play around with them.

Not a fan of Revenant...

Nilix.2170

Yeah, but you’re saying they’re Full Celestial because they’re tank. But that’s justnonsense because EVERYONE was full celestial. The issues here have less to do with meta-anything and more to do with the skill options you had on hand. You’ve got a Legend whose skills deal in transferring conditions and applying Resistance in a map where you aren’t really taking any much conditions on. Deals Torment and Confustion but a good amount of your enemies don’t even move and attack slowly. Almost everyone stayed in Jalis Stance since it was more useful. Lightning Field, Area Swiftness, Stability, Weakness, SPINNING HAMMERS etc.

There’s a trait that said gain 50% Crit Chance while in Fury. I wanted to try out, but there was no way to actually gain Fury with the skills I had.

Purity of Purpose

Not a fan of Revenant...

Posted by: Eulolia.2467

Eulolia.2467

Can’t judge it fully until all traits/slots are in but the current template beta Revenant is pretty kitten awful to do open world with. None of the weapon or slot skills feel particularly useful in PvE except the demon elite which functions like a pound-shop death shroud.

The less said about the autoattacks, the better. It’s a choice between a mesmer staff and naked warrior mace.

If these are just the abilities intended for PvP it’s strange we get them as the only option in this beta. They seem too slow and clunky for PvP at the moment too, making them useless all round.

Subscribe for exciting guild wars 2 videos! https://www.youtube.com/user/eulololia/

(edited by Eulolia.2467)