Only 4 new armor sets (per armor type)

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Aguri.2896

Aguri.2896

So I’ve counted 4 armor sets, assuming that’s per armor type, coming with HoT. It’s technically 12 sets, but since a single character can’t equip all of them it’s more like 4.
We have:
-2 armor sets from exploring maguuma
-1 set from guild hall rewards
-1 set of legendary armor with raids

If I left anything out let me know and I’ll edit my post, but so far what I am seeing is just not enough. I feel like we should be getting more than this with an expansion. I was looking forward to having new options finally with HoT, but chances are the 3 armors I will likely be able to use (because I probably won’t be able to get legendary) won’t fit my tastes.

Anyone else feel a little let down by this? Also question for the devs: will we be getting more armor sets with later updates, like how we are getting more legendary weapons?

I’m only here because sometimes I just like to watch things burn.

Posted by: Stitch.1794

Stitch.1794

There’s 2 sets of guild armour, one for each hall.

Aguri.2896

There’s 2 sets of guild armour, one for each hall.

That’s only for the weapons unfortunately.

Posted by: ronpierce.2760

ronpierce.2760

We’re talking about at launch. That’s not so bad. I just hope more comes with LS continuations.

High Warlord Sikari (80 Reaper) / Lord Siekron (80 DH)
Warlord Sikari (80 Scrapper)

Posted by: Pistol Joe.3741

Pistol Joe.3741

Dont forget gw2 is not like other games .. we always keep getting new stuff !

Beer Belly Joe – SoS NA

Posted by: CandyHearts.6025

CandyHearts.6025

So many pieces. The artist must of worked their bum off. I can’t wait to see them!

Posted by: Zypher.7609

Zypher.7609

After seeing some of the data mined armor.. the artists really out did themselves with the new sets.

Counting down the days!

CandyHearts.6025

After seeing some of the data mined armor.. the artists really out did themselves with the new sets.

Counting down the days!

I didn’t know it had been mined. Gosh I would love to see it! ;_;

Posted by: PlasticHippo.8934

PlasticHippo.8934

you forgot about the pre armor for the legendary armor. also, legendary / pre legendary armor is not launch stuff, takes a couple weeks before they make the first raid wing available, and longer after that for the next couple wings.

Posted by: Substatic.6958

Substatic.6958

And at least on of those Light legs better be pants and not a skirt on males.

Posted by: Zypher.7609

Zypher.7609

Counting down the days!

https://www.reddit.com/user/that_shaman/

CandyHearts.6025

Counting down the days!

https://www.reddit.com/user/that_shaman/

I must be blind. All I see is random posts that have nothing to do with HoT gear. v_v

Posted by: Gaebriel.3754

Gaebriel.3754

Even though I’d always want more armours, I think the amount we get is kinda on par with the ‘leveling armours’ I’m used to from other games’ expansion releases. So it’s what I expected! But I think they’ll probably add stuff afterwards with the living story as well, seeing how well received (as far as I’ve heard) the Carapace sets were.

Though I must admit that with the amount of mixing and dyeing you can do in this game, even a single added set adds lots of options, at least that’s how it’s been for me with the Carapace armours.

Some weeks back I’ve seen a few datamined sets as well, those looked really pretty and very true to the GW style, so no weird flashy lava armour stuff. I remember that one of the medium (no trenchcoat!) sets reminded me of a toned down version of GW1’s assassin armours. Toned down as in, one scythe-like blade at the lower arms instead of 20 on top of each other. :P

Posted by: Gaebriel.3754

Gaebriel.3754

Ah, this is the one I saw! Looks like two variants but shown with several random colours.

Posted by: DaedalusDragon.3754

DaedalusDragon.3754

I’m a bit disappointed as well. They may release more stuff over time, but it will probably be LS and I am not interested in staying around just to play LS nor am I interested in buying the expansion AND THEN buying the LS in the future just to get the content that the expansion that I bought was missing.

Posted by: Test.8734

Test.8734

Sure, sure. In 3 years, we got in game:

• Illustrious armor (the ascended one)
  • Glorious armor (the PvP one) and its reskin, Glorious Hero
  • Carapace and its reskin, Luminescent
  • Hellfire armor
  • Radiant armor

Meanwhile, the Gem Store got:

• Aetherblade armor
  • Primeval armor
  • Braham’s armor
  • Phalanx armor
  • Flamewrath armor
  • Zodiac armor
  • Rampart armor
  • And 24 (!!!) outfits

So yeah, we definitely keep getting stuff… In the Gem Store. We got even less armors in-game than in the Gem Store, and that’s considering how ArenaNet said they would focus the Gem Store in outfits, not in armors.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

• Hellfire armor
  • Radiant armor

• Aetherblade armor
  • Primeval armor
  • Braham’s armor
  • Phalanx armor
  • Flamewrath armor
  • Zodiac armor
  • Rampart armor
  • And 24 (!!!) outfits

So yeah, we definitely keep getting stuff… In the Gem Store. We got even less armors in-game than in the Gem Store, and that’s considering how ArenaNet said they would focus the Gem Store in outfits, not in armors.

They made that statement after they started doing outfits. You can’t make their statement retroactive and then accuse them of lying.

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

Posted by: TheFantasticGman.9451

TheFantasticGman.9451

Yeah… As Test points out, I’m not holding my breath for new in-game armors. If anything, 99% outfits to be purchased with gems and the most minimal they can get away with armors in game… then later they’ll let them be purchasable with gems.

Speaking from a PVE-only point of view…

Aguri.2896

you forgot about the pre armor for the legendary armor. also, legendary / pre legendary armor is not launch stuff, takes a couple weeks before they make the first raid wing available, and longer after that for the next couple wings.

Most likely the pre armor will just be a less-glowy (assuming the legendary armor is glowy, because most things are) more rusty looking version of the legendary armor so I didn’t count it. I also did not know it wasn’t launch stuff, that’s a bummer…

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

I’ll gladly pay for armors in the gem store, as long asthey are mix’n match…

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

Posted by: Sicarius.4639

Sicarius.4639

Once we hit legendary stats, we’re not going anywhere. Skins is where it’s at with end game progression, so putting stuff in the gem store makes perfect sense from a business stand point.

CandyHearts.6025

Ah, this is the one I saw! Looks like two variants but shown with several random colours.

I went through all the videos! Thank you for the link! I found all I wanted to view.

I am in awe with the detail of the pieces. Way to go Artist! You did great.

Don’t get me wrong though but unfortunately I am disappointed. Still having buttflaps on heavy, and long skirts on cloth. While beautiful they don’t suit me and I already have very little options that appeal to my taste as it is. But regardless! It’s all still great stuff that was greatly made!

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

It’s not even that we’re not getting in-game armor but we’re not really getting armor at all – it’s mostly outfits – which is terrible as far as I’m concerned.

I want more armor even if it’s in the gem store. This is a skin and cosmetic driven game – can’t believe we’re not getting more stuff.

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

• Hellfire armor
  • Radiant armor

• Aetherblade armor
  • Primeval armor
  • Braham’s armor
  • Phalanx armor
  • Flamewrath armor
  • Zodiac armor
  • Rampart armor
  • And 24 (!!!) outfits

They made that statement after they started doing outfits. You can’t make their statement retroactive and then accuse them of lying.

in GW1 we had in one year more new armors in-game then we have gem store armor skins in GW2, in my eyes they have become extremely lazy.

Ayrilana.1396

• Hellfire armor
  • Radiant armor

• Aetherblade armor
  • Primeval armor
  • Braham’s armor
  • Phalanx armor
  • Flamewrath armor
  • Zodiac armor
  • Rampart armor
  • And 24 (!!!) outfits

in GW1 we had in one year more new armors in-game then we have gem store armor skins in GW2, in my eyes they have become extremely lazy.

In GW1, you had only humans to play as which is much different than what we have in GW2. More work is required to create GW2 armor than GW1 armor.

ronpierce.2760

• Hellfire armor
  • Radiant armor

• Aetherblade armor
  • Primeval armor
  • Braham’s armor
  • Phalanx armor
  • Flamewrath armor
  • Zodiac armor
  • Rampart armor
  • And 24 (!!!) outfits

In GW1, you had only humans to play as which is much different than what we have in GW2. More work is required to create GW2 armor than GW1 armor.

Well not to mention less graphical variety and toaster graphics. I’m sure it’s harder these days to provide products that are acceptable.

Posted by: MattyP.6954

MattyP.6954

Guild Wars 2 has provided so many free content patches that I’m perfectly fine with fewer skins being available at the launch of HoT. I’m confident that more will be released for free with LS3-4

Server — Fort Aspenwood
Mains — Mathias of the Wood [Ranger]; Collaborator Bluatt [Engineer]
Alts — Necromancer, Warrior, Elementalist

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

• Hellfire armor
  • Radiant armor

• Aetherblade armor
  • Primeval armor
  • Braham’s armor
  • Phalanx armor
  • Flamewrath armor
  • Zodiac armor
  • Rampart armor
  • And 24 (!!!) outfits

And this is why I firmly believe GW2 should have been human-only too. So much more that they could have done if that was the case.
Not only could we have had more armor – the story and lore could have been more cohesive. Alas – it was not to be.

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

Aguri.2896

• Hellfire armor
  • Radiant armor

• Aetherblade armor
  • Primeval armor
  • Braham’s armor
  • Phalanx armor
  • Flamewrath armor
  • Zodiac armor
  • Rampart armor
  • And 24 (!!!) outfits

And this is why I firmly believe GW2 should have been human-only too. So much more that they could have done if that was the case.
Not only could we have had more armor – the story and lore could have been more cohesive. Alas – it was not to be.

I wouldn’t have even bothered to buy the game if it was human only. The humans look like barbie dolls that have achieved sentience. No thank you. If this is the cost for more races, than so be it but it would be nice to know if we were going to get more throughout the year.

Posted by: Carbon Footprint.3421

Carbon Footprint.3421

As a dress-up kitten, show me the armor (not outfits) and I might show you my money, Anet.

Test.8734

• Hellfire armor
  • Radiant armor

• Aetherblade armor
  • Primeval armor
  • Braham’s armor
  • Phalanx armor
  • Flamewrath armor
  • Zodiac armor
  • Rampart armor
  • And 24 (!!!) outfits

Uhuh.

So the excuse “GW2 is more complex” is the reason why, 3 years after release of the original Guild Wars, we had:

• More than 160 new maps (in GW2, 3 years later we have 3 new maps)
  • More than 150 new armors completely available in game (in GW2, 3 years later we have 15 new armors in-game)
  • 4 new professions (in GW2, 3 years after release we have zero new professions)
  • More than 70 new skills for each of the core professions, not counting the generic PvE only skills (in GW2, 3 years after release we have a single new profession specific skill for each profession)

And so on, and so on. Despite how, at the time, ArenaNet had half of the staff they have today.

Considering how by then we had ten times more armors – again, ten times -, maybe the lesson here is that, if GW2 is that complex, ArenaNet tried to bite more than they can chew.

Ayrilana.1396

• Hellfire armor
  • Radiant armor

• Aetherblade armor
  • Primeval armor
  • Braham’s armor
  • Phalanx armor
  • Flamewrath armor
  • Zodiac armor
  • Rampart armor
  • And 24 (!!!) outfits

Uhuh.

So the excuse “GW2 is more complex” is the reason why, 3 years after release of the original Guild Wars, we had:

• More than 150 new armors completely available in game (in GW2, 3 years later we have 15 new armors in-game)
  • 4 new professions (in GW2, 3 years after release we have zero new professions)
  • More than 70 new skills for each of the core professions, not counting the generic PvE only skills (in GW2, 3 years after release we have a single new profession specific skill for each profession)

And so on, and so on. Despite how, at the time, ArenaNet had half of the staff they have today.

Considering how by then we had ten times more armors – again, ten times -, maybe the lesson here is that, if GW2 is that complex, ArenaNet tried to bite more than they can chew.

I suggest playing Guild Wars 1. That game is almost completely different than GW2.

Test.8734

• Hellfire armor
  • Radiant armor

• Aetherblade armor
  • Primeval armor
  • Braham’s armor
  • Phalanx armor
  • Flamewrath armor
  • Zodiac armor
  • Rampart armor
  • And 24 (!!!) outfits

Uhuh.

I suggest playing Guild Wars 1. That game is almost completely different than GW2.

Indeed.

Gameplay wise they are incredibly similar. But you are right in saying that they are very different: one was a big success, able to fund both constant updates and even a sequel, while the other has been such a failure that it has been forced to go free to play after enduring multiple content droughts and having next to no content added to it.

And one had, in two years, 150+ new armors available in game. The other has had, in three years, 15 armors available in-game. With the massive amount of… 4? Armors incoming.

ronpierce.2760

• Hellfire armor
  • Radiant armor

• Aetherblade armor
  • Primeval armor
  • Braham’s armor
  • Phalanx armor
  • Flamewrath armor
  • Zodiac armor
  • Rampart armor
  • And 24 (!!!) outfits

Uhuh.

Indeed.

Gameplay wise they are incredibly similar. But you are right in saying that they are very different: one was a big success, able to fund both constant updates and even a sequel, while the other has been such a failure that it has been forced to go free to play after enduring multiple content droughts and having next to no content added to it.

And one had, in two years, 150+ new armors available in game. The other has had, in three years, 15 armors available in-game. With the massive amount of… 4? Armors incoming.

That’s a lot of buzz in one post. 4 (per armor type), fits 5 races, isn’t made to fit 10 polygons. Drought due to an expansion to give the game (most of) the things it direly needed to keep people happy, a combat system (while buggy at times) that’s better than just about any other standard MMO out there, and so on, but eh, whatever. Buzz words are fun.

Enjoy GW1, bud.

Posted by: Enrif.7359

Enrif.7359

This Armor may be the medium pre/legendary armor, one looks like an upgrade form the other

and this maybe the light pre/legendary?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIolE19TZeo

(edited by Enrif.7359)

Posted by: CodeHavoc.7926

CodeHavoc.7926

I can only see myself with two armor sets (the next ascended set and legendary armor) I just hope the majority of the other sets aren’t locked behind a gem store paywall.

Necro Jesus is a thing apparently
The Zerker Bunker meta is the biggest bug in the game

Posted by: prominence.6251

prominence.6251

This Armor may be the medium pre/legendary armor, one looks like an upgrade form the other

and this maybe the light pre/legendary?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIolE19TZeo

Ugh. More butt pyramids. Why is it that the robe-style armors look way less convincing now than they did on the Dervish in GW1? If you like it, cool. Everyone’s got their own style. I just hope that we get some more options.

Test.8734

• Hellfire armor
  • Radiant armor

• Aetherblade armor
  • Primeval armor
  • Braham’s armor
  • Phalanx armor
  • Flamewrath armor
  • Zodiac armor
  • Rampart armor
  • And 24 (!!!) outfits

Uhuh.

Indeed.

That’s a lot of buzz in one post. 4 (per armor type), fits 5 races

“Fits”? LOL! ArenaNet itself said that they’re aware of all the armor issues with the Charr – you know, the ridiculous tail clipping, the way textures are clearly stretched, and so on and on and on -, but that they were not going to fix it since very few people play as Charr and therefore it’s not worth the effort.

Asura armors also have issues. The only ones that are spared are the Sylvari and the Norn, because their armors look soooooo different from the human ones /NOT

Enjoy GW1, bud.

I take it you have never played GW1. I suggest playing it, it’s a great game – but I do have to warn you: like most of the non-failed games, GW1 is not free to play, so you have to buy it to play it. Funny that a 10+ years old game is still buy to play, right? I guess that’s what success does to a game.

Posted by: ThatDamnRat.1236

ThatDamnRat.1236

• Hellfire armor
  • Radiant armor

• Aetherblade armor
  • Primeval armor
  • Braham’s armor
  • Phalanx armor
  • Flamewrath armor
  • Zodiac armor
  • Rampart armor
  • And 24 (!!!) outfits

That might be a valid argument if Anet put any effort into redesigning the armours for the different races, but the don’t, hell, they can’t even be kitten d to tick whatever box it is that turns of the rendering of Asuran feet so that their toes don’t clip weirdly through their boots. There’s a handful of boots that do it so clearly the capacity is there, they just seem to lack the care or attention to detail to do this. Charr players will go on at length if you let them about tail accommodation.

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

Do GW1 have jumping puzzles?

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

That sounds reasonable, when compared to other MMO expansions. It just depends if they continue to release more armor sets post-launch of HoT.

nexxe.7081

• Hellfire armor
  • Radiant armor

• Aetherblade armor
  • Primeval armor
  • Braham’s armor
  • Phalanx armor
  • Flamewrath armor
  • Zodiac armor
  • Rampart armor
  • And 24 (!!!) outfits

Uhuh.

Indeed.

That’s a lot of buzz in one post. 4 (per armor type), fits 5 races, isn’t made to fit 10 polygons. Drought due to an expansion to give the game (most of) the things it direly needed to keep people happy, a combat system (while buggy at times) that’s better than just about any other standard MMO out there, and so on, but eh, whatever. Buzz words are fun.

Enjoy GW1, bud.

The polygon count is irrelevant since the engine, tools, and techniques today are vastly superior and actually make production quicker than ever.

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

• Hellfire armor
  • Radiant armor

• Aetherblade armor
  • Primeval armor
  • Braham’s armor
  • Phalanx armor
  • Flamewrath armor
  • Zodiac armor
  • Rampart armor
  • And 24 (!!!) outfits

Uhuh.

Indeed.

Enjoy GW1, bud.

The polygon count is irrelevant since the engine, tools, and techniques today are vastly superior and actually make production quicker than ever.

Wow this guy has no idea what he’s talking about.

I honestly agree with yours and the OPs sentiment, they had three years to work on this after all, and this is just… not enough, nor high quality enough, to justify 5/6ths the price of the original game.

But good gosh have you ever even opened Maya or Zbrush? Do you know why video games are continually getting shorter and smaller with each generation? Because what you said is completely false, the pipeline hasn’t been made easier, its been made nothing but harder. You are correct that most of the improvements to graphics are in the forms of new map types which totally disregard polycount. But all that means is that making those maps is now required work on top of the modeling and sculpturing that was already done in previous generations. The only thing which has really been made slightly easier since the 90s is animation because of improvements in rigging, literally everything else has got nothing but more complicated, more time consuming, and more expensive.

(edited by Conncept.7638)

Posted by: cupcakesandcatnomz.3924

cupcakesandcatnomz.3924

Modeling is actually quite easy, yes it takes a few hours or days depending on how many people are working on it, its just that arenanet effed up by going at it the lazy way, if they just sticked with the cultural armor design they would have had way more options but no they want it to be quick and easy money for little as possible work, and that’s why we have outfits, easy money :>

nexxe.7081

• Hellfire armor
  • Radiant armor

• Aetherblade armor
  • Primeval armor
  • Braham’s armor
  • Phalanx armor
  • Flamewrath armor
  • Zodiac armor
  • Rampart armor
  • And 24 (!!!) outfits

Uhuh.

Indeed.

Enjoy GW1, bud.

Wow this guy has no idea what he’s talking about.

I honestly agree with yours and the OPs sentiment, they had three years to work on this after all, and this is just… not enough, nor high quality enough, to justify 5/6ths the price of the original game.

But good gosh have you ever even opened Maya or Zbrush? Do you know why video games are continually getting shorter and smaller with each generation? Because what you said is completely false, the pipeline hasn’t been made easier, its been made nothing but harder. You are correct that most of the improvements to graphics are in the forms of new map types which totally disregard polycount. But all that means is that making those maps is now required work on top of the modeling and sculpturing that was already done in previous generations. The only thing which has really been made slightly easier since the 90s is animation because of improvements in rigging, literally everything else has got nothing but more complicated, more time consuming, and more expensive.

Yes, i use them frequently, although just as a hobby, not as a professional. You are wrong though. Modeling and texturing isn’t hard at all, especially for professionals that GW2 has. These aren’t newbs fresh out of some gaming academy either (i hope).

Animation is also easier now thanks to Motion Capture. Rigging is the most time consuming part. Why do you think they make outfits only now? Because making each each armor piece separately, and then rigging each piece for each race takes longer. They also have to weight-paint the pieces to the models which takes even more time, since they have to make sure they don’t clip through the models.

They also have different teams for armor design, rigging, and terraforming/zone modelers (and asset builders), so don’t think it’s only one person doing all this stuff. Believe me, the GW2 modelers, texture artists, and animators, etc (some of them fulfill multiple roles), can pump out quality content in several months or less. They have schedules though, and they have to follow their projects, which is the only restraint they have, otherwise there would be dozens of sets these past 3 years. Outfits were obviously at the top of the priority list though, because they are easier and faster to create, and the more they sell, the more money they make (i don’t blame them for this either).

As i said, the polygon count is irrelevant to the pipeline, because i’m sure Anet has an estimated limit on how many polygons each outfit or armor piece should be for their servers and game “engine”.

Posted by: Loex.5104

Loex.5104

I’m a bit disappointed as well. They may release more stuff over time, but it will probably be LS and I am not interested in staying around just to play LS nor am I interested in buying the expansion AND THEN buying the LS in the future just to get the content that the expansion that I bought was missing.

so simply log in when the LS is active?
im always amused how ppl can find a problem in EVERYTHING

Ayrilana.1396

Since you consider them to be incredibly similar gameplay wise, I’d say that you’ve never played Guild Wars 1. If you’re going to go off about GW1, please please have played it before. Also, F2P does not mean the game failed and we all know that the gap in content is because they’re working on the expansion. Feel free to continue to ignore all of that.

GW doesn’t have 150+ different armor unless you count the differences between professions. If you do that then you can do the same in GW2 versus the five races so you have 90+ armor from GW2. And once again, you’re failing to comprehend what goes into creating armor and how it was much much different in GW1 than GW2.

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

Ayrilana.1396

That might be a valid argument if Anet put any effort into redesigning the armours for the different races, but the don’t, hell, they can’t even be kitten d to tick whatever box it is that turns of the rendering of Asuran feet so that their toes don’t clip weirdly through their boots. There’s a handful of boots that do it so clearly the capacity is there, they just seem to lack the care or attention to detail to do this. Charr players will go on at length if you let them about tail accommodation.

What does this have to do with anything we’re discussing? My argument is about the differences between designing armor for GW2 vs GW1. It’s not about the perceived quality of GW2 armor.

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

Assuming datamined material is 100% of the armor avaliable in GW2 is fallacy.

Also, it’s not completely silly to assume more skins will exist from ambient drops.

Simply put, you can’t actually count the number of armor skins in HoT until HoT is actually released.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

Posted by: Theege.9783

Theege.9783

• Hellfire armor
  • Radiant armor

• Aetherblade armor
  • Primeval armor
  • Braham’s armor
  • Phalanx armor
  • Flamewrath armor
  • Zodiac armor
  • Rampart armor
  • And 24 (!!!) outfits

Uhuh.

Indeed.

Enjoy GW1, bud.

Gotta love how facts are now “buzz words.”