Personal Opinion of HoT

Personal Opinion of HoT

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: adrian.4962

adrian.4962

-this expansion has no casual content.
-new profession improvements are disappointing.
-story is short and not well done. Compared to the old story you get nothing for your money.
-mobs on the new maps have inflated stats, normal mobs are stronger than veterans from old content and veterans are more powerful than champion mobs.
-lots of mobs have absurd abilities that instant kill. Some ranged frog mob dodges your attacks and shoots back at you at the same time. After 2 attacks you’re dead.
-most places on the new maps need a +3 man party to travel because they are full of veteran mobs(champion lv form old maps)

If you like maps like Orr but harder then HoT it’s ok for you. Sadly I didn’t like that so I’ll try to get my money back.

Personal Opinion of HoT

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I know, right? All my characters’ pants are still on them!

As to your actual point, I’m sorry you don’t enjoy the changes. It’s subjective, however. I love the elite professions, I don’t find them disappointing at all. I’m hardly an amazing player yet I can roam around all the HoT maps without dying with relative ease (it does help that I am usually on a Reaper, thus highly resilient, and that I have full gliding and mushroom use).

I don’t particularly like Orr and didn’t even when it was new (before they nerfed the mobs it was constant aggro no matter where you went). It’s ugly and takes forever to get anywhere due to constantly contested WPs. I do like the HoT maps.

I will agree the story is shorter than it should be, in that we should in no way have been able to get to the end boss a few days into launch. That fight needed the same long term build up as Zhaitan. On the other hand, they have more story coming, maybe Mordy’s not really gone, we can’t know how extensive the HoT story is until we’re closing in on the next expansion. (Do I believe it’s going to turn into something much longer and epic? No. I think we’ll have shorter episodic bits that don’t explore the intricacies of the effects on the whole world or look into what’s going on simultaneously elsewhere, just as we’ve had thus far. But right now it’s too early to declare that the story is over).

It’s not a fail, though. Plenty of people are having fun, me included, despite the flaws. Yet not every game can satisfy every player. I’m sure there are people deeply invested in ArcheAge no matter how much of a cesspit I personally consider that game — yes, I bash on AA a lot. It’s the only real “fail” of an anticipated game I’ve personally encountered, and even then it’s a “fail” for me. So I stopped playing it, I even advised friends not to start playing it, but I’m not on its forums yelling about how horrible Trion is or how failed their game is.

Personal Opinion of HoT

Posted by: Exit.5213

Exit.5213

-mobs on the new maps have inflated stats, normal mobs are stronger than veterans from old content and veterans are more powerful than champion mobs.
-lots of mobs have absurd abilities that instant kill. Some ranged frog mob dodges your attacks and shoots back at you at the same time. After 2 attacks you’re dead.
-most places on the new maps need a +3 man party to travel because they are full of veteran mobs(champion lv form old maps)

So true

Personal Opinion of HoT

Posted by: Prime Greek.1092

Prime Greek.1092

This has been talked to death…

Do like the rest of us “incompetent casual players”. Don’t play the map.

I think the message will come accross.

Personal Opinion of HoT

Posted by: Qugi.2653

Qugi.2653

This has been talked to death…

Do like the rest of us “incompetent casual players”. Don’t play the map.

I think the message will come accross.

Agree best thing can do if hate HoT map like me is not play map. It do suck because content pay for but if Anet see people do not play their map maybe they make some change. It is like vote against the content. Who know though. Maybe more people like and play it. But like I do with other thing I do not agree from Anet I vote by not play it. Best I can do.

;)

Personal Opinion of HoT

Posted by: Kryd.6257

Kryd.6257

/Rant ON

I must admit I have only been into HoT for a little over a week now.
Still in my opinion it does feel quite bland compared to the progressive ramp up of the original. Nor does having to put up with the ego petting “Commander” nonsense help on any way. "Comander! I’m so glad to see you here! I fear I may have lost my extra pair of shoelace to the foliage… But now that you have graced our gaze with your astounding composure… I’m certain the cowering pasture will return them to me for fear of the consequence! (To put it extremely mildly).

The general map layout feels overly complicated (although quite majestic). Most of the content is aimed at groups (quite a bit overboard). Good luck playing during the middle of the week post 11pm on a barely filled map. Some classes are just great at solo, others not so much.

The voice acting doesn’t feel as engaging. "Come back! we’re in the middle of ennemy territory! don’t wander off on your own!!!! LISTEN TO YOUR TESTOSTERONE FILLED COMMANDER OF THE (obliteraded) PACT!!! FFS!!!!. The personality they gave our “Commander” just feels…. so cliché.
And don’t get me started on the strange human “language” they created for the local Hyleks. It sounds more like what it is (a group of humans having fun goofing around) rather then anything remotely engrossing.

When solo it just doesn’t feel like you have anything much worthwhile to accomplish (if you aren’t the legendary crafting mats grinding type).
For me the new classes are the most ineteresting additions.
I’m enjoying them in PvP, I do some PVE here and there.

Gating movement, gameplay and crafting behind an artificial leveling experience… The idea may not have been a bad one, but they just gated way too much. Personaly I prefer content, story, nice voice acting, gameplay… something engaging and well crafted. and preferably not almost completely built around the Dry Top and “co.” episodic content (as far as I have seen). I felt more love for the art in the crafting of the original. That being said Jeremy Soul left (I believe) and that hurts quite a bit (again imho). The general visual and auditive atmosphere is very nice, But at this rate it’s almost all the xpac has for itself…

I probably could go on and on…

Considering the appreciation I had for the original, it does feel like a letdown.

I would agree with the OP (perhaps not for the exact same reason) Considering the HEFTY price tag, this whole xpac feels a bit too overhyped and underperforming for my taste.

Edit: They decided to steer away and try to be creative, Much respect in that regards.
Clearly some aspects of the game have received waaayyyy more love then others. Alas.
And @ 45€…. WTF?

Edit 2: Gating MOOOAAAARRR DEEEEPSSSSS behind Xpac additions… Well Blizzard did it with D3 back when the crusader was released (still does it everytime they release new item sets), Trion does it in RIFT with the additional souls…. It’s nothing new. I guess It should have been expected? Yeah it does seem to be quite the contemporary sales pitch.

/Rant off

(edited by Kryd.6257)

Personal Opinion of HoT

Posted by: Petrol.9086

Petrol.9086

Seriously can’t get how people prefer central Tyria mobs, it’s like the game let’s you win. You can aggro a mob put on auto attack and then go get a drink, when you get back the game has won for you. Yay….fun…

Personal Opinion of HoT

Posted by: Rukia.9860

Rukia.9860

I don’t think the xpac is a fail but it definitely had some stuff which goes against their ‘philosophy’

Pvp is absolute cancer as far as balance goes, but the new specializations are indeed pretty fun to play, just not fun to play against.

Gating: I was honestly surprised ANet even implemented gating in crafting when we were able to make ascended gear, which is extremely annoying.. if I have the mats LET ME FREAKING CRAFT IT OK!?? -_- I thought you guys wanted to NOT be like WoW.

Yeah gating is absolutely horrible and a tell-tale sign that they are trying to string out content to last longer because they don’t wanna make more and players will get bored too fast without it.

Well guess what. It’s an MMO, some players will no-life the hell out of all your content no matter what, and forums are 90% horrible feedback from players with no respect for the game and get mad over every little thing. Just remove gating and let us play, the people that spew hatred all the time on the forum are probably some of the most active players.

/opinion, please don’t kill me.

(edited by Rukia.9860)

Personal Opinion of HoT

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I don’t know if HoT failed, but there are definitely some players not up to the “challenge” of the HoT zones.

And then there are players that have no clue, they’re not in a guild, they don’t know how to do stuff, and they give up before they even get their foot in the door.

I know this because I have people like this in my guild. It’s try it once, I can’t do it and then they complain.

Until someone takes them in, shows them the ropes and then they say, yeah it’s not bad at all now that I’m used to it and a month later I see them in HoT all the time.

So maybe it’s just the discrepency between the original zones which were far too easy and the newer zones which are slightly too hard.

They’re not nearly as kittenome people make them out to be…but yes, there is a learning curve.

Personal Opinion of HoT

Posted by: Daniel.4763

Daniel.4763

I agree with OP. Strongly disappointed in HOT.
Didn’t like the new maps.
Didn’t like the masteries.
Didn’t like the mini-games.
The whole expansion feels like a gold-sink/time-sink.
very little to appeal to casual/solo players like me. (I know: L2P)
Liked Revenant, but not adding a character slot was chicken-kitten.
Very thankful they lowered the HPs to 250 from 400.
not sure if I will purchase from Anet again. We’ve just drifted apart: they went one direction and I went another.

Personal Opinion of HoT

Posted by: Khyan.7039

Khyan.7039

HoT is not a fail. Can you just stop these complains/thread as if everyone got the same opinion as yours? Because it’s not even the case.
You can share your opnion but saying “HoT is such a fail” as title, when there are a lot of players that are still happy with it, is pretty annoying.

Thanks.

Personal Opinion of HoT

Posted by: warbignime.4610

warbignime.4610

HoT is not a fail. Can you just stop these complains/thread as if everyone got the same opinion as yours? Because it’s not even the case.
You can share your opnion but saying “HoT is such a fail” as title, when there are a lot of players that are still happy with it, is pretty annoying.

Thanks.

Exactly, thread like this baffles my mind.

Some must fight so that all may be free.

Personal Opinion of HoT

Khyan.7039

Oh and, Casual players is not a bad player or a player that need skills. It’s a player that can’t play a lot of hours during a day.
I don’t think HoT isn’t casual friendly unless you only play 30 minutes per day and can’t do any meta event which takes around 1 hour 30 for the longest one.

If you don’t like HoT difficulty I think it’s another issue and maybe it’s because you are bad but certainly not casual.

Personal Opinion of HoT

Posted by: Daniel.4763

Daniel.4763

You’re right. I’m a bad player. I’ll just stick to solitaire from now on.

Personal Opinion of HoT

Posted by: Aedelric.1287

Aedelric.1287

It is not a complete fail, but it certainly did not live up to its potential.

“I am Evon Gnashblade and this message is acceptable to me.”

Personal Opinion of HoT

Posted by: foxcat.4096

foxcat.4096

HoT open world is moderate difficulty when you first enter the new zones then becomes trivial the more time you spend there. If you find it difficult i dunno what to tell you? there is always Queensdale those cows ain’t gonna entertain themselves.

Personal Opinion of HoT

Posted by: ugrakarma.9416

ugrakarma.9416

After HoT, the core tyria mobs seems extremely boring.

HoT maps requires some time to master it, like 2 months, but after u dominate it u feel that worth it.

In Beta times, the major big complaint was when mobs was easy like core tyria, so the devs improved their difficult, making it more hard.

But i agree on hate on minigames.

Personal Opinion of HoT

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

All content, including raids, can be done by casual players and have been done by casual players.

Exaggeration. Yes, mobs are more difficult but that’s because their mechanics are different than core Tyria. The stats are the same. No longer can you just stand there and facetank it as the mob cycles through it’s 1-2 attacks like you could in core Tyria.

Nothing instant kills you. And if there happens to be something that I’m just forgetting to remember, it’s certainly not “lots of mobs”. If you cannot play in glass armor then don’t play in glass armor. Go back to using something with toughness and vitality until you learn the mobs’ attacks and how to avoid/mitigate the damage from them.

Exaggeration as veterans can be killed just as easily as in core Tyria. I’m also done map completion (except for the hero challenges that have champs) solo. I’ve also done most of the events that can be done solo with the exception being those that have champions. I can fully explore all parts of the map without needing a group with the exception being the parts locked behind a map meta.

I am far from being alone on this.

Personal Opinion of HoT

Vayne.8563

It’s funny because I made a thread offering to show people how to get around HoT and not a single complaining person took me up on my offer.

As I’ve said many times, and will no doubt say again, it’s better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness.

Personal Opinion of HoT

Posted by: Defiling Treekiller.1632

Defiling Treekiller.1632

I’m not sure people actually understand that until HoT , there were only 4 maps for level 80’s. That means for the life of the game most people have been running in max gear but downleveled to low level maps which although is scaled better than the 1 shot of other games in lower level areas we have still been doing underlevel content with max gear. HoT finally brought us lvl 80 appropriate content and all the carebears of the game can’t stand it cause they can’t “GW2 and chill”. What did you people want in lvl 80 maps more lvl 52 mobs you can 2-3 shot without looking? There are a great many things wrong with the game in all areas but Anet actually did get the difficulty of the new lvl 80 maps right. Go back to Sparkfly Fen and brainlessly kill Teq with his lvl 52 add ons , go back to Queensdale for your glorious champ train on auto attack, heck go back to any of the 29 maps that are not lvl 80 areas and continue to GW2 and chill in your max gear thinking you are good at the game and for the love of god leave the 8 lvl 80 maps alone so that those who actually want to play level/gear appropriate content can. Orr was nerfed to difficulty complaints, Silverwastes mob difficulty has been nerfed and they have nerfed most of the HoT mobs at this point too so give them another month and HoT maps should be Sesame Street easy for for you all too

Personal Opinion of HoT

Khyan.7039

I’m not sure people actually understand that until HoT , there were only 4 maps for level 80’s. That means for the life of the game most people have been running in max gear but downleveled to low level maps which although is scaled better than the 1 shot of other games in lower level areas we have still been doing underlevel content with max gear. HoT finally brought us lvl 80 appropriate content and all the carebears of the game can’t stand it cause they can’t “GW2 and chill”. What did you people want in lvl 80 maps more lvl 52 mobs you can 2-3 shot without looking? There are a great many things wrong with the game in all areas but Anet actually did get the difficulty of the new lvl 80 maps right. Go back to Sparkfly Fen and brainlessly kill Teq with his lvl 52 add ons , go back to Queensdale for your glorious champ train on auto attack, heck go back to any of the 29 maps that are not lvl 80 areas and continue to GW2 and chill in your max gear thinking you are good at the game and for the love of god leave the 8 lvl 80 maps alone so that those who actually want to play level/gear appropriate content can. Orr was nerfed to difficulty complaints, Silverwastes mob difficulty has been nerfed and they have nerfed most of the HoT mobs at this point too so give them another month and HoT maps should be Sesame Street easy for for you all too

The HoT nerf maps wasn’t really a nerf but a fix. I don’t think HoT maps will be nerfed because this is not needed. People that complains are just terribly bad and just don’t want to learn mechanics/maps.

My first time in HoT was “hard” because I didn’t understand the environment. I was like : Wtf what are these maps, not even funny. But after three weeks in HoT maps, all things are smooth and easiest because I know when dodge, how to deal with “that” kind of mob/boss/maps. And now I just LOVE HoT maps.

Personal Opinion of HoT

Posted by: Boingo.5264

Boingo.5264

It’s funny because I made a thread offering to show people how to get around HoT and not a single complaining person took me up on my offer.

As I’ve said many times, and will no doubt say again, it’s better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness.

I might consider taking you up on that offer. I love VB… I love gliding, so this makes sense. I have literally completed the VB map 23 times — no exaggeration, each of my 80’s has completed that map. That said, I can not stand TD. I’d like to think that I’m a decent player, but that map just annoys the crap out of me. I’ve been playing MMOs for almost 15 years now, and I’ve never cursed at my computer screen while trying to navigate a game map, like I do what I’m in TD.

Personal Opinion of HoT

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

-new profession improvements are disappointing.
-story is short and not well done. Compared to the old story you get nothing for your money.

If you like maps like Orr but harder then HoT it’s ok for you. Sadly I didn’t like that so I’ll try to get my money back.

Sorry you aren’t enjoying the content. However, the expac isn’t “fail” because you don’t like it or you can’t see how it’s filled with casual content (adventures are the epitome of casual, imo).

It’s fine not to like the product and I hope you’re able to get a refund. However, it’s sufficient just to say you don’t like it; no need to go overboard with the rhetoric.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Personal Opinion of HoT

Vayne.8563

I might consider taking you up on that offer. I love VB… I love gliding, so this makes sense. I have literally completed the VB map 23 times — no exaggeration, each of my 80’s has completed that map. That said, I can not stand TD. I’d like to think that I’m a decent player, but that map just annoys the crap out of me. I’ve been playing MMOs for almost 15 years now, and I’ve never cursed at my computer screen while trying to navigate a game map, like I do what I’m in TD.

Hit me up in game if you’re on a US server. I’m less comfortable in TD only because I’ve spent less time there, but there are people in my guild who know it pretty well…like my wife. lol

Personal Opinion of HoT

Posted by: Chackan.2813

Chackan.2813

Well, I have no opinion since I still haven’t bought Hot (no Money… :| ), but as soon as I can I’m buying it.

I’m a hardcore fan of Guild Wars. Fan, not player. Unfortunately I lack the time to play more

I consider GW1 the best MMO ever, read the novels, love GW2 and time by time I still login to GW1 to do some kind of reminscence.

GW2 has it’s flaws, just as GW1 had, and I bet that HoT also has some. There are still things that I want to see (more solo content – specially dungeons – , more skills to diversify different builds, etc) but so far the game is great!

What I would like to know, from a DEV point of view, is how successful is HoT and GW2 in general.

I don’t know what is currently the status of the game, and if it’s being profitable enough that justifies new content in the future.

Is it still going strong? What are the plans for the future? HoT is out, so what now?

Personal Opinion of HoT

Posted by: Qugi.2653

Qugi.2653

Well, I have no opinion since I still haven’t bought Hot (no Money… :| ), but as soon as I can I’m buying it.

I’m a hardcore fan of Guild Wars. Fan, not player. Unfortunately I lack the time to play more

I consider GW1 the best MMO ever, read the novels, love GW2 and time by time I still login to GW1 to do some kind of reminscence.

GW2 has it’s flaws, just as GW1 had, and I bet that HoT also has some. There are still things that I want to see (more solo content – specially dungeons - , more skills to diversify different builds, etc) but so far the game is great!

What I would like to know, from a DEV point of view, is how successful is HoT and GW2 in general.

I don’t know what is currently the status of the game, and if it’s being profitable enough that justifies new content in the future.

Is it still going strong? What are the plans for the future? HoT is out, so what now?

If you do not have much time for play, want more solo content and dungeon, you maybe will not like HoT. It take a lot of time for some meta event, take a lot of time for mastery and elite specialization, not very friendly for solo, map fill with trash mob every where make explore map more annoy instead of fun because few place to stop and enjoy map, and dungeon reward got nerf into dirt with HoT (already you should know this because it affect core game where dungeon are). But encourage to read more from other people for you to decide. Just my opinion.

;)

(edited by Qugi.2653)

Personal Opinion of HoT

Ayrilana.1396

GW2 has it’s flaws, just as GW1 had, and I bet that HoT also has some. There are still things that I want to see (more solo content – specially dungeons – , more skills to diversify different builds, etc) but so far the game is great!

*What I would like to know, from a DEV point of view, is how successful is HoT and GW2 in general. *

We’ll find out in about 3 weeks or so when NCSoft releases their Q4 earnings report.

Personal Opinion of HoT

Posted by: Meow The Epic.6918

Meow The Epic.6918

Am I the only one that actually enjoyed the expansion? I understand that some people may not share the same opinion but attempting to kitten it on forum isn’t going to help anyone, just directly contact Anet if you feel your opinion can help?

Personal Opinion of HoT

Posted by: Oregon.5673

Oregon.5673

Am I the only one that actually enjoyed the expansion? I understand that some people may not share the same opinion but attempting to kitten it on forum isn’t going to help anyone, just directly contact Anet if you feel your opinion can help?

No, you are not the only one. I also enjoy the expansion. A lot, in fact. Am I happy with all of it, no. But on the whole, I don’t believe it is a fail. It is challenging, tough, a PITA at times and more difficult than the core game. It is what I was looking for and more.

Personal Opinion of HoT

Posted by: ricky markham.8173

ricky markham.8173

no your not the only one first impression was wow im going to have to learn to play better and i did i know the tactics actually other day in td me and other one other were burning down veterans like they were nothing we now knew the tactics and worked together. reminded me of solo play in the rest of tyria. i dont think the expansion was a fail might be more of a success. i dont think its perfect but i think anet still learning with what they want to do and where they are going still next expansion i think will be way better and cant wait for the next elite sets i got elite skill on all nine classes plus 150 hero points extra on three characters. the expansion has caused me to play more that a sign it was good in my book

Personal Opinion of HoT

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

People don’t like to be told they are wrong; it’s even worse for them when you show them they are wrong. That being said, there was an immense satisfaction for me to get Map completion done on VB without someone showing me so maybe people don’t want that spoiled for them.

Personal Opinion of HoT

Vayne.8563

People don’t like to be told they are wrong; it’s even worse for them when you show them they are wrong. That being said, there was an immense satisfaction for me to get Map completion done on VB without someone showing me so maybe people don’t want that spoiled for them.

I’m not talking about people who like the zone or feel challenged by it. I’m talking about people who say they can’t do anything in it and they had given up. I was clear in my thread that I would show people how to survive, get around and understand the zone. Plenty of people don’t seem to know where to start.

It was more of a beginner’s guide than completing the zone for them.

You know basic stuff like how to avoid dying to snipers and smoke scale. How to get around before you can use updrafts, etc.

Personal Opinion of HoT

Illconceived Was Na.9781

People who don’t like the game have more time to post than people who do. If you were around for GW2/BETA back in 2012, you would have seen a lot of similar complaints from people who loved GW1, but didn’t like what they saw in GW2 (some who played BETA, some who didn’t).

That, of course, doesn’t invalidate the complaints or the criticisms; I’m just trying to put it into perspective: the forums aren’t an accurate reflection of the love (or hate) for the expac.

Personal Opinion of HoT

Posted by: velmeister.4187

velmeister.4187

I enjoyed HOT for 2 months. Then, raids killed HOT for me. Waiting for 9 other people to do a content that is targeted for “organized” groups is just not for me. I play game on my schedule and don’t prefer to arrange my schedule to game.

I don’t do Raids. And after 2 months, there is hardly anything worthwhile to do in the expansion other than raids. If you have not already started with Raids, it is next to impossible to get into anyway.

It’s my belief ANET will keep adding new wings to grind in Raid and I will move onto other games. One thing for sure is that I will not be prepurchasing another GW2 expansion on blind faith. Then again, it’s just me.

the forums aren’t an accurate reflection of the love (or hate) for the expac.

It’s quite true. But, number of map instances are accurate reflection of sucess. There are hardly 1 map instance or 2 for the 4 maps right now.

“If there is anyone here whom I have not offended, I am sorry.”

(edited by velmeister.4187)

Personal Opinion of HoT

Ayrilana.1396

. But, number of map instances are. There are hardly 1 map instance or 2 for the 4 maps right now.

You sure?

Personal Opinion of HoT

Vayne.8563

. But, number of map instances are. There are hardly 1 map instance or 2 for the 4 maps right now.

You sure?

How do you know this? I mean we’ve had guild members doing stuff in three different maps this week, without even realizing we were all playing. We all got on full maps one after the other. So I’m not sure where you get this number from? How did you determine it?

Personal Opinion of HoT

Posted by: mauried.5608

mauried.5608

Id be interested to know what standard of player, gear wise HOT was designed for.
For example , are there any players playing HOT who like it who have low level gear, such as masterwork or less?

Personal Opinion of HoT

Vayne.8563

Id be interested to know what standard of player, gear wise HOT was designed for.
For example , are there any players playing HOT who like it who have low level gear, such as masterwork or less?

Is there any real reason not to have at least rares?

Personal Opinion of HoT

Posted by: Vix.6730

Vix.6730

Gating movement, gameplay and crafting behind an artificial leveling experience… The idea may not have been a bad one, but they just gated way too much. Personaly I prefer content, story, nice voice acting, gameplay… something engaging and well crafted. and preferably not almost completely built around the Dry Top and “co.” episodic content (as far as I have seen). I felt more love for the art in the crafting of the original. That being said Jeremy Soul left (I believe) and that hurts quite a bit (again imho). The general visual and auditive atmosphere is very nice, But at this rate it’s almost all the xpac has for itself…

Well said. Anet kept the scope of the expansion small but wanted to keep our play time higher. It’s a shrewd tactic. Maximize dollars.

Personal Opinion of HoT

Posted by: Vix.6730

Vix.6730

Thanks.

Pot calling the kettle black? The poster is free to share his opinion but can’t say it’s a failure? Hmm.

Personal Opinion of HoT

Posted by: Astraea.6075

Astraea.6075

Is there any real reason not to have at least rares?

I’m posting from my phone atm, so can’t find the link right now, but I recall a statement from the devs prior to HoT’s release that the maps were designed to be “end game” zones that would challenge players.

As a result, I suspect that if the maps were designed for a specific gear level, it would at least be rare, if not exotic level gear. Having said that, skill > gear in this game, so a skilled player could probably breeze through the new maps with a lower level of gear than the developers designed them around.

Personal Opinion of HoT

Posted by: pepsis.5384

pepsis.5384

Thanks.

Exactly, thread like this baffles my mind.

Sorry but that must be quite the simple mind then. Whats there to understand? Ever heard of different strokes for different folks? GW2 has a been one thing for a lot of people since it launched, now without full disclosure they started making it into another thing AND they put a hefty price tag on it to boot. So, very naturally, many people who are here because of what it was are not happy with the new direction. And as paying customers are entitled to voice their frustration right here on the forums for as long as they care to. Need more explaining?

On a side note why do you, the folks who love HoT feel the need to defend it? You cant handle the fact that someone is hating the thing you like? Or you simply have taken up the mantle of ArenaNet defenders? If you dislike a thread steer clear of it, just like I steer clear of HoT even tho I havent gotten my money’s worth of it.

Personal Opinion of HoT

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

On a side note why do you, the folks who love HoT feel the need to defend it? You cant handle the fact that someone is hating the thing you like? Or you simply have taken up the mantle of ArenaNet defenders? If you dislike a thread steer clear of it, just like I steer clear of HoT even tho I havent gotten my money’s worth of it.

I feel the need to defend HoT when people like the OP post lies about it. It’s one thing to state an opinion, like many do, but providing false information is a different one.

Let’s take some:

Completely false. Veterans in HoT aren’t nearly as tough as Champions in core tyria. Not only this is false, but it doesn’t even make sense to compare the two types of mobs.

As for the normal mobs being harder than veterans, it depends on the normal mob and the veteran, HoT mobs tend to have low hit points though, much lower than most veterans in Core Tyria, but they all have interesting abilities that you have to look out for. A lot of HoT mobs die even faster (a LOT faster) than normal mobs of core tyria, for example Smoke Scales.

Mobs do not have inflated stats, they just have interesting abilities, once you identify them you can bring counters to defeat them, and then HoT mobs can be even easier than core mobs (since they die faster). Instead of adapting the game to you, why don’t you adapt yourself to the game?

For example, the frog that evades your attacks only evades projectiles, you can damage it with Aoe or melee attacks just fine. And for nearly all HoT mobs: CC is your friend.

Aside from the lie that veterans are like champions, this is also false, where is this magical place full of veteran mobs that you can’t pass through? I’ve been everywhere in HoT and can’t remember any place like that, other than some parts of DS during the meta, but if you are doing the DS meta you can’t be alone.

Personal Opinion of HoT

Illconceived Was Na.9781

It’s quite true. But, number of map instances are accurate reflection of sucess. There are hardly 1 map instance or 2 for the 4 maps right now.

I’m not sure why you think that. Full maps don’t have taxis. I’ve often seen people in different instances in successful meta chains at the same time. Verdant Brink … during peak hours, I hardly ever get into the same instance twice in a row.

Personal Opinion of HoT

pepsis.5384

I feel the need to defend HoT when people like the OP post lies about it. It’s one thing to state an opinion, like many do, but providing false information is a different one.

Let’s take some:

Completely false. Veterans in HoT aren’t nearly as tough as Champions in core tyria. Not only this is false, but it doesn’t even make sense to compare the two types of mobs.

As for the normal mobs being harder than veterans, it depends on the normal mob and the veteran, HoT mobs tend to have low hit points though, much lower than most veterans in Core Tyria, but they all have interesting abilities that you have to look out for. A lot of HoT mobs die even faster (a LOT faster) than normal mobs of core tyria, for example Smoke Scales.

Mobs do not have inflated stats, they just have interesting abilities, once you identify them you can bring counters to defeat them, and then HoT mobs can be even easier than core mobs (since they die faster). Instead of adapting the game to you, why don’t you adapt yourself to the game?

For example, the frog that evades your attacks only evades projectiles, you can damage it with Aoe or melee attacks just fine. And for nearly all HoT mobs: CC is your friend.

Aside from the lie that veterans are like champions, this is also false, where is this magical place full of veteran mobs that you can’t pass through? I’ve been everywhere in HoT and can’t remember any place like that, other than some parts of DS during the meta, but if you are doing the DS meta you can’t be alone.

Perception is reality. If the OP sees the new mobs as stronger, then they are in his view. If he sees them as annoying then they are. If you see them as interesting, then they are, for you. Me, I see them as annoying, packed with way too much cc and too high damage. They are not challenging, they are a hindrance to my enjoyment of the zone, having to constantly recover from their numerous knockdowns.

But, the mobs are just the tip of the iceberg as far as why hot sucks imo

Personal Opinion of HoT

Posted by: Baldrick.8967

Baldrick.8967

I’m not sure why you think that. Full maps don’t have taxis. I’ve often seen people in different instances in successful meta chains at the same time. Verdant Brink … during peak hours, I hardly ever get into the same instance twice in a row.

The sun is always shining and people are always happy in my world:-)

Why would you keep changing VB instances, but not using taxis? You mean you randomly hop around instances without using taxis? Did the other map close and push you in to a new one? How long do you play in order to hop around instances and hardly ever get in the same instance twice in a row?

The reason you don’t is because everyone hops from the completed one to the next taxi instance, leaving behind a dead map that will close sooner or later.

Takes around 100 players to create multiple instances in this way, which is hardly a huge number of players- as soon as map cap approaches, new map created, rinse and repeat.

When I logged in for my daily reward at peak time today I finally achieved the ‘no friends online’ in my friends list, which tells me how many have left the game since H0T released. There are still piles of people playing, but not in the areas of the game I like (wvw, which they have killed off).

WvW player. Doing another world completion for my next Legendary. Hater of mini-games.

Personal Opinion of HoT

Vayne.8563

The sun is always shining and people are always happy in my world:-)

Why would you keep changing VB instances, but not using taxis? You mean you randomly hop around instances without using taxis? Did the other map close and push you in to a new one? How long do you play in order to hop around instances and hardly ever get in the same instance twice in a row?

The reason you don’t is because everyone hops from the completed one to the next taxi instance, leaving behind a dead map that will close sooner or later.

Takes around 100 players to create multiple instances in this way, which is hardly a huge number of players- as soon as map cap approaches, new map created, rinse and repeat.

When I logged in for my daily reward at peak time today I finally achieved the ‘no friends online’ in my friends list, which tells me how many have left the game since H0T released. There are still piles of people playing, but not in the areas of the game I like (wvw, which they have killed off).

I switch characters quite frequently, because I was completing VB on multiple characters, so I get into multiple instances. Yeah I don’t care if I lose my progress in the meta, because it’s not that important to me.

So yes you can end up in different instances, each time you leave and come back even. It happens.

Personal Opinion of HoT

maddoctor.2738

Perception is reality. If the OP sees the new mobs as stronger, then they are in his view. If he sees them as annoying then they are. If you see them as interesting, then they are, for you. Me, I see them as annoying, packed with way too much cc and too high damage. They are not challenging, they are a hindrance to my enjoyment of the zone, having to constantly recover from their numerous knockdowns.

No it’s not, perception doesn’t matter. He clearly stated that HoT veteran mobs are tougher than champions which is objectively false. And normal mobs tougher than veterans? What veterans? Queensdale veterans? Try some veteran terragrifs in the Silverwastes.

Just do what everyone else did on the new zones, adapt to the new mobs to fight them. Some people already did and find HoT enjoyable, others don’t even want to and instead post on the forums. Well excuse me but well designed mobs are those that require you to think when you fight them, if you can’t think then yes HoT might be too challenging for you. That’s not the game’s fault, it’s yours.

Personal Opinion of HoT

pepsis.5384

No it’s not, perception doesn’t matter. He clearly stated that HoT veteran mobs are tougher than champions which is objectively false. And normal mobs tougher than veterans? What veterans? Queensdale veterans? Try some veteran terragrifs in the Silverwastes.

Just do what everyone else did on the new zones, adapt to the new mobs to fight them. Some people already did and find HoT enjoyable, others don’t even want to and instead post on the forums. Well excuse me but well designed mobs are those that require you to think when you fight them, if you can’t think then yes HoT might be too challenging for you. That’s not the game’s fault, it’s yours.

You base your opinion on false logic. You imply that the mob issue in HoT is actually a ltp issue and anyone who “adapts” and “thinks” will be able to enjoy the fights.

Lemme tell you something, my first time in HoT I almost soloed the Frog Champ hero point. My toon has never died from mobs (on the other hand I have died from falling many times ). I can dispatch any creature the HoT map throws at me and I still find them super annoying and unfun. So, am I lying? Or am I not thinking enough while fighting them? Do I need to adapt to every player unfriendly thing the devs introduced it HoT? How about the waiting on timers? Or the constantly failing maps?

PS: btw the thread title is “Personal Opinion of HoT”…

(edited by pepsis.5384)

Personal Opinion of HoT

maddoctor.2738

You base your opinion on false logic. You imply that the mob issue in HoT is actually a ltp issue and anyone who “adapts” and “thinks” will be able to enjoy the fights.

So if you can beat the mobs and use your character properly then it’s the other thing. You want content that you can beat while pressing 1 or F and watching TV on a second monitor. Either a LTP issue or a massive lazyness issue. Pick one.

PS: btw the thread title is “Personal Opinion of HoT”…

Everyone can have an opinion. But that doesn’t mean they can go ahead and lie. Lies and opinions are different things.