[PetPeeve] STOP The RNG

[PetPeeve] STOP The RNG

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Gimli.9461

Gimli.9461

If you feel like I do, feel free to post +1 or anything else, so maybe, just maybe, Anet sees how many people they are making unhappy with this.

Please STOP WITH THE RNG.

Everything, anything, in the game (ideally) should be earned, not chanced upon.
When you take right steps with masteries, EARNABLE precursors, maps like Dry Top And Silverwastes which introduce EARNABLE collections, armor stats, skins, back pieces…

When you do that, and then drop in more RNG, you look like a company that is poorly organized. Left hand doesn’t know what the right one is doing.

RNG rewards very few, kittenes off very many, causes people to feel unrewarded for the vast amounts of time they put into the game, and causes them to play less, not more. Which loses you money in the long run.

You know this, and yet you keep on doing it. Get your kitten together and stop it.

And I don’t even care about the Beta Portal. It’s one of those drops that took me over the edge, at the root being the problem of constant RNG and feeling unlucky, unrewarded, and playing less and less because of it.

[PetPeeve] STOP The RNG

Posted by: Ranatoa.4869

Ranatoa.4869

Show me an mmo that doesn’t use RNG then we’ll talk

[PetPeeve] STOP The RNG

Posted by: Blanche Neige.7241

Blanche Neige.7241

And I don’t even care about the Beta Portal.

I’m sure you care much more than you pretend you do.

I’m sure you wrote this message exactly because you did not got a portal, and that if you got it, you would never have wrote it.

Let’s see…

The poster – yeah you only feel good because you got lucky. If you didn’t your post would look much different.

Yeah that’s not an argument; I’m still befuddled as to why they didn’t query their highest profit players from their database that are active and gave them access

Apparently, you care a lot about it….

(edited by Blanche Neige.7241)

[PetPeeve] STOP The RNG

Posted by: Argon.1563

Argon.1563

Agreed.

ArenaNet should only use RNG for petty drop tables, like T1-6 crafting materials and such other things, but major items should be obtained via the collection system, or other system in which the player can 100% obtain it after a certain amount of things have been done (Example: Carapace armour.)

[PetPeeve] STOP The RNG

Gimli.9461

The point is that there must be a non-RNG way to get end game stuff, and we all know if there’s also an RNG way to get those, ppl get kittened because their efforts look wasted when they see people who randomly got the item.

[PetPeeve] STOP The RNG

Posted by: segman.3560

segman.3560

Just because there is a war at middle east it doesnt mean killing people is good.

I agree with OP, it is much better to feel rewarded by earning things through gameplay than by some RNG based random drop. I think Anet is taking good direction with collections here, while keeping some rng in it we have a guaranteed reward at the end of the road.

[PetPeeve] STOP The RNG

Gimli.9461

I’m sure you care much more than you pretend you do.

I’m sure you wrote this message exactly because you did not got a portal, and that if you got it, you would never have wrote it.

Let’s see…

The poster – yeah you only feel good because you got lucky. If you didn’t your post would look much different.

Yeah that’s not an argument; I’m still befuddled as to why they didn’t query their highest profit players from their database that are active and gave them access

Apparently, you care a lot about it….

Lol I said that the portal RNG was most likely the thing that drove me over the edge. But it is not the sole reason for me exploding. It’s been building up.

I did care about the portal for about 3 days, during which I played Dry Top and Silverwastest a lot. Then I realized the chance is 0.000..something? And I stopped wasting my time.

[PetPeeve] STOP The RNG

Posted by: Andred.1087

Andred.1087

Lol, if you say so.

Seriously who kittening cares? It’s a god kitten video game, if you don’t like it, play a different one. Or, here’s a novel idea: pursue your dreams and escape the mundane life of normalcy that society desperately wants you to succumb to!

“You’ll PAY to know what you really think.” ~ J. R. “Bob” Dobbs

(edited by Andred.1087)

[PetPeeve] STOP The RNG

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

One has to be the first.

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

[PetPeeve] STOP The RNG

Gimli.9461

Lol, if you say so.

Seriously who kittening cares? It’s a god kitten video game, if you don’t like it, play a different one. Or, here’s a novel idea: pursue your dreams and escape the mundane life of normalcy that society desperately wants you to succumb to!

I’m aware it’s a video game, it’s one of my favourite video games, and I want it to improve, plain and simple. When I feel that I hate playing it, or want to quit every other day, there’s an issue so I express my concern in hopes that the company producing said game will listen. This is I think what Forums are for , among other things. If you don’t care, why reply in the first place?

[PetPeeve] STOP The RNG

Posted by: segman.3560

segman.3560

Lol, if you say so.

I’m aware it’s a video game, it’s one of my favourite video games, and I want it to improve, plain and simple. When I feel that I hate playing it, or want to quit every other day, there’s an issue so I express my concern in hopes that the company producing said game will listen. This is I think what Forums are for , among other things. If you don’t care, why reply in the first place?

Don’t worry these type of comments.

“this is a video game” – yes. it is a PRODUCT. It’s customers’ right to complaing if he wants the product to be improved. Nothing is guaranteed however it’s not forbidden to post his suggestion.

[PetPeeve] STOP The RNG

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

I have since launch stated how out of control ANet gets with RNG sometimes. Not all the time, not even as often as a lot of MMOs. But a lot of us invested in this game because between non-competitive loot drops, no monthly fee, no twinking PvP, and no gear grind ANet lauded higher standards of fairness towards and between their customers than most game companies.

But exploiting players through RNG to get them to pay or play, rather than creating content worth playing or paying for, does not fit with that image. But then again neither did requiring the purchase of PvP skills and gear, or requiring players to compete against each other in PvE for traits, or especially putting in one of the worst gear grinds any MMO has ever seen.

Maybe, ANet is like every other company, always has been, and we got conned. Or maybe they see the abovementioned grievances as mistakes just as much as we do, and just don’t know what, or are not permitted to, do anything about them.

And I’d recommend changing your title, as in spite of whatever our grievances may be, this is Anet’s e-property, and their rules state that petitions are not allowed on the forums.

(edited by Conncept.7638)

[PetPeeve] STOP The RNG

Gimli.9461

And I’d recommend changing your title, as in spite of whatever our grievances may be, this is Anet e-property, and their rules state that petitions are not allowed on the forums.

:O Thank you sir, changed

[PetPeeve] STOP The RNG

Posted by: RabbitUp.8294

RabbitUp.8294

I thought this was going to be about RNG in skills. You know, worthwhile discussion.

[PetPeeve] STOP The RNG

Posted by: ZeftheWicked.3076

ZeftheWicked.3076

RNG can be both mmorpgs greatest boon as well as bane. Depends on the usage, and to be honest A-net has not yet mastered this art. Far from it to be honest.

RNG’s benelovent side is player communication and trade. Didn’t drop it? No problem look it up at trading post. Dropped something nice you don’t need? Fresh money for you after you sell it.

That however is good and fine as long as we’re discussing tradeable, rare (but not ultra rare) stuff that does not have critical importance to most players.

Stray from that and you get pure RNG poison – like those portals (non tradeable, non giftable – so those who dropped more then one, can’t pass them along), or fractals skins/weapons of the Sunless – too low chance, no other ways of getting one.

RNG has it’s place and meaning, but here it’s still outta whack in many places.

[PetPeeve] STOP The RNG

Posted by: FrozenChinchilla.5249

FrozenChinchilla.5249

RNG is probably the most frustrating mechanic in any video game.
Knowing no matter what you do, it might not matter whatsoever.

If you are going to put RNG into the game, the least a developer can do is allow players to reach the same result with another method, even if it takes longer.

Like in the case of fractal skins, why not just make them cost a ridiculous amount of fractal mats?

Have a “shard” vendor.

[PetPeeve] STOP The RNG

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

I got Eairs bow the other day, first exo I had drop in months.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

[PetPeeve] STOP The RNG

Posted by: TJgalon.5012

TJgalon.5012

if everything is just given to you, then how would you make money? how do you feel good when you earn it,?

[PetPeeve] STOP The RNG

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

if everything is just given to you, then how would you make money? how do you feel good when you earn it,?

Because the only option is RNG or being handed everything for nothing?

Does your boss roll a dice each week after you have already put in the weeks work, and give or not give you your paycheck based on its outcome? I mean, after all, if your boss just gives you what you earned, then how would you make money, and how would you feel good when you earned it?

This is possibly the dumbest analogy I have ever heard.

(edited by Conncept.7638)

[PetPeeve] STOP The RNG

Posted by: TJgalon.5012

TJgalon.5012

I do not think I can explain it well, the RNG is just fine for the game. It fun to work towards something, trying for that drop, and when ou do get it, you are excited. If I just get it, that sorta borning, but that just how I feel. Some things are given, sure, and other require work, it just how it is, and such.

[PetPeeve] STOP The RNG

Gimli.9461

I do not think I can explain it well, the RNG is just fine for the game. It fun to work towards something, trying for that drop, and when ou do get it, you are excited. If I just get it, that sorta borning, but that just how I feel. Some things are given, sure, and other require work, it just how it is, and such.

Funny though that work is defined as “activity involving mental or physical effort done in order to achieve a purpose or result.” . Most of us do work because we know we get something out of it.

The point I’m making is not that we should be getting items without putting in ‘work’ (or game time – I don’t think of my game time as work tbh). The point I’m making is pls reduce the randomness element of it because as things stand now, in 99.9% of cases you get nothing even though you ‘work’ for it.

And in some cases people do almost no ‘work’ and get stuff, while you did a lot of ‘work’ for it and still get nada (due to RNG).

And saying ’that’s just how things are’ – is just plain defeatist lol. Sorry that’s not how things are, that’s how Anet is making them be :P

(edited by Gimli.9461)

[PetPeeve] STOP The RNG

Posted by: Kaleban.9834

Kaleban.9834

You’re ignoring the other side of the coin, that being how UNfun it is to work towards something and NEVER get rewarded for it.

Honestly, the problem isn’t so much the RNGness of the game (although it is pretty bad, and I think is a not so subtle means of pushing players to buy gems→gold) but the binding system.

It seems like everything that drops anymore is Account Bound on acquire, and Soulbound on use, which means even if you don’t have use for something you can’t trade it to other players. Sometimes you can’t even sell stuff for the paltry silver or copper at a merchant, and you just have to destroy it.

IMHO, the “binding” system of MMOs is the dumbest convention ever. Its like every weapon in the game has a fingerprint scanner embedded in the hilt. I get it with armor, since it would have to be tailored/molded/smithed to fit each individual, but the idea that every weapon in the game becomes “BOUND TO YOUR SOUL” is just plain stupid.

The combination of excessive RNG with overuse of binding I think is really exacerbating the problems.

[PetPeeve] STOP The RNG

Posted by: Zaklex.6308

Zaklex.6308

Just because there is a war at middle east it doesn’t mean killing people is good.

I agree with OP, it is much better to feel rewarded by earning things through gameplay than by some RNG based random drop. I think Anet is taking good direction with collections here, while keeping some rng in it we have a guaranteed reward at the end of the road.

Yes, and no…your first statement is just wrong, in some instances killing people is good…if you can’t find them, then you’re living under a rock(think terminal illnesses).
Secondly, he said name an MMO that doesn’t use RNG, I would challenge anyone to name a good dame with good rewards that doesn’t use RNG to dole out the good stuff randomly. If you need to get a reward to feel accomplishment, let me introduce you to Pavlov’s dog(you’re essentially saying that is what you are).

Funny though that work is defined as “activity involving mental or physical effort done in order to achieve a purpose or result.” . Most of us do work because we know we get something out of it.

The point I’m making is not that we should be getting items without putting in ‘work’ (or game time – I don’t think of my game time as work tbh). The point I’m making is pls reduce the randomness element of it because as things stand now, in 99.9% of cases you get nothing even though you ‘work’ for it.

And in some cases people do almost no ‘work’ and get stuff, while you did a lot of ‘work’ for it and still get nada (due to RNG).

And saying ’that’s just how things are’ – is just plain defeatist lol. Sorry that’s not how things are, that’s how Anet is making them be :P

So what you’re saying Gimli is that you get no rewards 99.9% of the time for playing the game? You do realize that even those crappy blues and greens are rewards right? Your statement is a blatant lie if you say you don’t get rewards 99.9% of the time…perhaps you meant the quality of the rewards are not meaningful? In which case I would say that is personal taste and not everyone would feel the same way about the rewards they do get, and then there are those that don’t even care about the rewards, they enjoy playing just for the fun of it(such a concept).

(edited by Zaklex.6308)

[PetPeeve] STOP The RNG

Posted by: Ranatoa.4869

Ranatoa.4869

Just because there is a war at middle east it doesnt mean killing people is good.

I never claimed RNG was good or bad, besides you are comparing apples to oranges with that statement. But to continue your example that you choose, regardless of whether killing people is good or bad you can’t have war without it, just like you can’t have a good loot system without RNG

(edited by Ranatoa.4869)

[PetPeeve] STOP The RNG

Posted by: Dark Saviour.9410

Dark Saviour.9410

I actually don’t hate RNG as a rule. I find it is more exciting to have the potential for an awesome drop than to just buy something outright since, in the latter case, you know basically how long you have to do X, but only the last time is rewarding. A hybrid system where you can buy it OR it can drop could always work, I suppose, but I’ve rarely seen that used…

I do hate when RNG is attached to the end-chest of a dungeon or something like that though, as it has a similar effect to what I mentioned before; if that is the only thing in the dungeon that drops something you want, each playthrough becomes a slog just to get to the end as quick as possible. Not fond of universal loot tables either though as that makes things boring.

Something more like what PSO did. :-)

Gone for good after Halloween 2Ø12.
A shame fun things could not simply be fun.

[PetPeeve] STOP The RNG

Posted by: AlecFair.1270

AlecFair.1270

Go play a few Korean mmos then defend your topic post after that. Actually go play Aeria Games Aura Kingdom for a week and then come back complaining about GW2s rng.

Not white knighting Anets idea of how to issue beta but its either release beta keys through the news letter again and make their players that didnt make it complain on their forums even more because they think they should be entitled to do anything the cool kids are doing, or release the beta through the same method on top of that give people a chance to enter beta through playing their game using an experimental method of an item drop and give everyone a double chance of entering it.

I farmed the key for six days and even stayed up 43 hours straight at one point taking a break only to eat and use the restroom those two days. I didn’t get a single key but hey I did manage to make a decent amount of gold out of it which I used to buy a few black lion skins.

Tarnished Coast – Got mah Toast on. :V
Tizzle Mindwrack – Crazy Asura Lore Keeper of [AARM]

(edited by AlecFair.1270)

[PetPeeve] STOP The RNG

Posted by: Tsukaza.5982

Tsukaza.5982

I don’t particularly mind the RNG but it’s stuff like
Situation A:-
Me: Doing Tequatl every day for like 1 year 2/3 months now and haven’t received a single Teq’s Hoard.
Friend: I taught Teq to him because he asked me to. Within 10 days he had a Teq’s Hoard. Within 30 days he had a second one.
Guildie: 5 Teq’s Hoard within 50 days and they’ve quit doing Teq not long after the fifth one.

Situation B:-
Person A who has been playing since the release with 4,000-5,000+ hours of gametime haven’t had a precursor that they didn’t need to buy or get sent from someone else.
Person B who has less than 2 months and 150 hours had now found or used the toilet for a precursor or two.

Personally myself I like RNG even though I’m usually on the bad side of it. However, how much work and game-play you put in has got to mean a little SOMETHING. Not saying I DESERVE that chest or Person A DESERVES a precursor, but I feel extremely left out with the fact that others who haven’t even put in a quarter of the work and who don’t even want the stuff or can make a couple hundred gold really easily off of it (which I’d have been happy about if I had that happen to me on a new account, but I had to work for my stuff instead.)

This may just be a rant to some people who agree with the RNG 100% or have had RNG reward them with stuff (Heck, After doing ogre wars 40 something times I finally got a blue Sam) but maybe they could add increased RNG chances for certain items each time you fail to get it. For example if Teq’s Hoard has a 0.01% chance to drop, each time you fail to get it from the world boss chest it upgrades that chance by 0.002% to 0.012% and after four more times it would be 0.02% or something.
The above is just an example but I hope you understand what I’m trying to say in that rant of a comment.

[PetPeeve] STOP The RNG

Posted by: Azala Yar.7693

Azala Yar.7693

If you feel like I do, feel free to post +1 or anything else, so maybe, just maybe, Anet sees how many people they are making unhappy with this.

Please STOP WITH THE RNG.

Everything, anything, in the game (ideally) should be earned, not chanced upon.
When you take right steps with masteries, EARNABLE precursors, maps like Dry Top And Silverwastes which introduce EARNABLE collections, armor stats, skins, back pieces…

When you do that, and then drop in more RNG, you look like a company that is poorly organized. Left hand doesn’t know what the right one is doing.

RNG rewards very few, kittenes off very many, causes people to feel unrewarded for the vast amounts of time they put into the game, and causes them to play less, not more. Which loses you money in the long run.

You know this, and yet you keep on doing it. Get your kitten together and stop it.

And I don’t even care about the Beta Portal. It’s one of those drops that took me over the edge, at the root being the problem of constant RNG and feeling unlucky, unrewarded, and playing less and less because of it.

RNG makes a game more interesting, if everything was earned then there wouldn’t be much in the way of rarity of items.

TBH earning everything sounds quite boring, you would know exactly what the reward would be.

RNG is definitely better, I can’t think of a better system, even though it doesn’t often favour me, Although, I did get an ascended weapon chest whilst looking for the portal.

[PetPeeve] STOP The RNG

Posted by: tonny.7580

tonny.7580

i just one know what dermens the factor of rng becous i have in most games the lowest rng in generals i just one know the factor i mean from start of old days in d2lod,muonline.gw1, wow and now gw2 i have have always for soom unknow reason low rng in all mmr games bad rng soo call easly boss thad shut give items for 99% the loot items will not give me for it for 4months soo ye i dont get it i mean i text my self in gw2 start with merch thad sold potals of luck(dont know what hapend to it now days but it was in start) i buyd 100 potals us them all and only 3 proc. othert potiso sey:no luck try agen. and i am Sorry if u cant read it becous i am dylexic but i have no proplem specing english(try to us the worst and thens see what i wrote)

[PetPeeve] STOP The RNG

Posted by: MaXi.3642

MaXi.3642

The point is that there must be a non-RNG way to get end game stuff, and we all know if there’s also an RNG way to get those, ppl get kittened because their efforts look wasted when they see people who randomly got the item.

what end game stuff is dependent purely on RNG? serious question… I don’t remember anything except for some skins, where not all of them are RNG and those which are can be bought in auction most likely, so there is another way to get them… what else are you talking about?

PS: legendary weapons are getting fixed in HOT, so I don’t count that

[PetPeeve] STOP The RNG

Posted by: Zac.2483

Zac.2483

RNG sucks, or for me atleast 4176 hours played and not a single precursor, and i know people that has an 6 month old account and plays maybe 2hours a week, and already had 3 precursors dropped.

I really think time spend ingame should give you a better chance with the RNG like magic find.

[PetPeeve] STOP The RNG

Posted by: Valento.9852

Valento.9852

I can take RNG in all things in the game (even the crappy drop rate for fractal skins), but for a beta test… weird.

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

[PetPeeve] STOP The RNG

Posted by: Bubi.7942

Bubi.7942

Some of you dudes need to play FTL.

[PetPeeve] STOP The RNG

Posted by: SirDrygan.1823

SirDrygan.1823

Give a solution please.

[PetPeeve] STOP The RNG

Posted by: Azure The Heartless.3261

Azure The Heartless.3261

I think that RNG is fine for certain items. The hardest part for that is being able to accept that you may not get it.

That being said, I also think some RNG dropped items need to also have a completely invisible tally system that rewards players with an increased chance of obtaining gear of a high rarity after they have put substantial effort into attempting to find it. RNG is ultimately fair, but the end result of its fairness often rewards players who are putting in significantly less effort than their peers.

There should be an unmentioned threshold that guarantees an item drop. Taking the beta portal as example, it should drop guaranteed once a player kills 3,500 mobs(could be adjusted) that spawn in the Maaguma wastes. That way players who get it luckily get to relax, and the others can eventually have a reward for their hard work.

Resident Disgruntled, Coffee-drinking Charr.
Zarin Mistcloak(THF) Valkyrie Mistblade(WAR) Kossori Mistwalker(REV) Durendal Mistward(GRD)
I used to think (build op, pls nerf) like you, but then I took a nerf to the knee.

[PetPeeve] STOP The RNG

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

RNG sucks, or for me atleast 4176 hours played and not a single precursor, and i know people that has an 6 month old account and plays maybe 2hours a week, and already had 3 precursors dropped.

I really think time spend ingame should give you a better chance with the RNG like magic find.

If someone has a 6 month old account and plays 2 hours a week, that about 50 hours of playtime. You are saying this person got 3 precursors within 50 hours of playing?

Was it with drops, cuz the char needs to be high enough level to get an exotic, which cuts into those 50 hours as some time is spent leveling. Or did the person do it with the mystic forge? At 50 hours, not many have enough gold to throw the necessary numbers of rares or exotics in the forge to get one precursor, much less 3.

And you know more than one that has done this?

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

[PetPeeve] STOP The RNG

Posted by: jweez.7214

jweez.7214

So you think the game would be better if every significant thing in the game was do activity x a total of y amount of times and get the reward you wanted?

[PetPeeve] STOP The RNG

Posted by: Blanche Neige.7241

Blanche Neige.7241

Taking the beta portal as example, it should drop guaranteed once a player kills 3,500 mobs(could be adjusted) that spawn in the Maaguma wastes. That way players who get it luckily get to relax, and the others can eventually have a reward for their hard work.

And they end up with way too many players with portals, so they need to make a draw between all of them, and thus raising even more QQing than presently.

Another trouble with your suggestion is that it will reward the nolife who can play 24 hours a day to the detriment of those who have obligations oustide the game.