Please don't reward retroactive MasteryPoints

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Nabuko Darayon.9645

Nabuko Darayon.9645

I know many things so far have been rewarded retroactively as a progress for Vets, but can you not do this with Masteries system? Let everyone start from scratch.

Reason I say this is because everyone complains that they don’t have much to do and if many of us (including myself) get enough points to unlock all the Masteries we won’t get to experience the progression like someone who’s new would. Thanks.

~ King Arian and Isabella of [EG] ~

Posted by: Seyta Hamon.8071

Seyta Hamon.8071

So you want to redo the entire map completion mastery? Or lets say there is a mastery for weapon master achievements (its in the name there better be), you want to redo all of those 5,000 kills with every weapon again, including the insanely annoying shield kills and aquatic weapons?

(edited by Seyta Hamon.8071)

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

The problem is some stuff you can’t do again with a character.
For example, let’s say you get Mastery Point for finishing your Personal Story or completing the World Map, a player shouldn’t be punished for having it complete already and be forced to create a new char just for that while a newer player that was still finishing it will get the reward much easier.

Also, unlock mastery is a thing, progress them is another story.
Veterans will be able to unlock more mastery right when HoT begins but we’ll still need to progress each one from 0.

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

I think it might simply not be possible to not reward them retroactively for certain things.
It is rather likely that the map completion ones for example are giving specifically as a part of the map completion reward, and you can’t redo that. So unless they reset map-completion as a whole you would be unable to get that mastery point at all.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Nabuko Darayon.9645

For example, let’s say you get Mastery Point for finishing your Personal Story or completing the World Map, a player shouldn’t be punished for having it complete already and be forced to create a new char just for that while a newer player that was still finishing it will get the reward much easier.

Veterans will be able to unlock more mastery right when HoT begins but we’ll still need to progress each one from 0.

I mean the points we “gathered” from leveling up a lvl 80 character for 2.7 years now and stuff like that.

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

“Dear ANet, please screw over people who have put in effort I haven’t”

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Nabuko Darayon.9645

“Dear ANet, as a Vet who’s been with you from GW1 and loyally supported your game since the Beta, could you please take under consideration this suggestion I proposed to improve game experience for everyone, not just new folks. I prefer not to buy a half-completed expansion.”

Posted by: Diovid.9506

Diovid.9506

I mean the points we “gathered” from leveling up a lvl 80 character for 2.7 years now and stuff like that.

Except you don’t get mastery points from experience/levels, you only get mastery points from certain activities (such as map completion and personal story instances). This is a common misunderstanding of the mastery system.

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

“Dear ANet, as a Vet who’s been with you from GW1 and loyally supported your game since the Beta, could you please take under consideration this suggestion I proposed to improve game experience for everyone, not just new folks. I prefer not to buy a half-completed expansion.”

Except for the fact that it wouldn’t improve the game experience for everyone.
I for one have already done my map completion, why should I be required to do it again?

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Andraus.3874

Andraus.3874

I did world completion 3 times so far. I know people who have done it on all their charaters. Same with personal stories. I guess they would have to delete a charater then in order to get access to these points if Anet would implement OP’s idea. Seriously that’s terrible.

It is your opinion that it would be more fun to experience the this new system from scratch. I for one don’t want to do another map completion/ world completion.

If you really want to experience it this way then buy a new account. You could even go with the precursor mastery and sell the old precursors while using the other on your account to craft or something. Or you could also get that twice told legend title this way. Either way this is your opinion and there’s a way for yoh to experience this tho you will have to spend a little extra money.

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

Except you don’t get mastery points from experience/levels, you only get mastery points from certain activities (such as map completion and personal story instances). This is a common misunderstanding of the mastery system.

This.

Also, we won’t get points from that since we already got skill points from those levels, the only retroactive points we’ll get are from activities like the ones I mentioned.

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)

Posted by: MokahTGS.7850

MokahTGS.7850

I think all rewards that I have completed should be compensated retroactively. I’ve been playing since release and have always been disappointed that nothing happens when you get another level after 80. I think all accounts should be given mastery point due. I don’t care if some people just started. How is that any vet players fault?

Posted by: cranos.5913

cranos.5913

From what I gathered unlocking mastery points will be region based, so while us veterans will get points for the old tyria lines (currently only precursor crafting and fractal mastery line), we still start from scratch when it comes to the expansion.

Now I don’t know about you, but I’ve done pretty much everything there’s to do in the core game after 4k hours. Introducing new systems to grind out more of the same old content won’t make it interesting again. What I wanna do when HoT comes out is experience the NEW content.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

There will be two different types of Mastery lines. One will be for the old Tyrian maps and content and the other will be gained in the expansion areas. All the mastery points we have gotten so far will be for the mastery lines in the old content. None of them will be for the Mastery lines in the new content. Everyone will start off at zero there.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mastery
Mastery points are spent on selective Master tracks; they are earned from completing various goals within the game, but they may only be spent at level eighty. There are two sets of tracks; one for The Heart of Maguuma new regions from Heart of Thorns expansion, and a different set of Mastery tracks for all PvE zones currently available in the game today.

So far the only old content one we know of is the Fractal mastery line.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Bovan.9481

Bovan.9481

I’m already annoyed I have to do map completion on several characters I don’t want to play just to get new Gift of Exploration to make legendaries for my main character. I understand not everyone is in the position to make several legendaries so I’m not complaining about it, but please don’t force me yet again to play a new character I don’t even want to play in the first place just so I can enjoy the game or content on my main character.

Bovan Ironwrench – Bovan Sundermist
Immortal Kingdom [KING]

(edited by Bovan.9481)

Just a flesh wound.3589

Even if you get 100s of mastery points at login for the Tyrian Mastery lines, you still can’t use them without gaining exp for each individual line you want to progress (train).

It’s
MP —-- XP——- > MP —-—- XP —-—- > MP (MP = mastery point and XP = experience).

You will still need to level through each and every mastery line that you want to add mastery points to. And there is no guarantee that tomes will work. They may be remade so they only give XP up to level 80, which is when the char will get access to the mastery lines, or they may only give a fraction of a level (currently they only give one-fifth of a mastery bar line as someone found out during the stress test).

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

You are misunderstanding the system. They are giving mastery points in “old tyria” for things we’ve already done. What you should be asking them is to add all new game play and stuff to do in “old tyria” for mastery points.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: Grimwolf.7163

Grimwolf.7163

I know many things so far have been rewarded retroactively as a progress for Vets, but can you not do this with Masteries system? Let everyone start from scratch.

Reason I say this is because everyone complains that they don’t have much to do and if many of us (including myself) get enough points to unlock all the Masteries we won’t get to experience the progression like someone who’s new would. Thanks.

Are you serious? You realize this would break all existing characters.

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

I’m guessing that since Mastery lines are account wide, you would only get Mastery points for the first time (and only once) for specific completion goals (Map completion, for example). Players with lots of Alts would get a definite Mastery Point advantage otherwise.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Posted by: Forgotten Legend.9281

Forgotten Legend.9281

i think you might not understand how the mastery system works. Mastery points don’t unlock the masteries. Mastery points unlock the XP track. the XP track unlocks one rank of the actual mastery after you’ve earned enough XP.

that means you have to play the game and gain XP to be able to earn the mastery. and you can only select one XP track at a time. so you can only earn one rank of one mastery at a time..

the only caveat, concerns Tomes of Knowledge. we don’t know how many tomes of knowledge will be needed to earn a single rank of a mastery. it may be possible to use hundreds of tomes of knowledge to earn the ranks of the masteries.

PS: the retroactive mastery points will ONLY be for PRE- HoT content. all HoT content, everyone WILL be starting off exactly the same, with ZERO HoT mastery points.

– The Baconnaire

Just a flesh wound.3589

My personal belief is that the mastery points for the old content will be tied to the achievement system. Anything that gives achievement points will give a mastery point. It’s the easiest way for ANet to know which old content you did.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Zaklex.6308

Zaklex.6308

Everyone seems to have forgotten that Anet has already said they would be working on some kind of formula to convert existing Skill Points into Mastery Points. Also how Tomes of Knowledge and Scrolls would work with the new MP system as well.

Further more, as Forgotten Legend stated above, though only partially correct, you need to first find the Mastery Point Challenge(I liken them to the SP you have to commune with) before you can start advancing a Mastery track. Then each upgrade requires a certain number of MPs to unlock it, and this number is not a one for one exchange(as anyone that was involved in the stress test should remember). We had access to at least two Masteries in the stress test, and many people fully unlocked both Gliding and Mushroom Jumping(though that one appeared to be disabled). How was this possible, because every “level gain” would award you a MP, but you couldn’t just unlock the upgrades the minute you had a MP, it worked on a sliding scale(I don’t remember the sequence, whether it was something like 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 or more along the lines of 1, 2, 6, 8, 10 or some other scale).

Since there are those of us with literally hundreds if not thousands of SP’s on any one character, the conversion formula will have to be extremely high(at least 500 SP = 1 MP, more like 1000 SP = 1 MP, but that is something Anet will figure out). How they could restrict where you spend those points once you unlock a Mastery is beyond me, but before you can even begin to spend them, you have to find the corresponding Mastery Unlock Point, and that’s most likely going to apply to both Old Tyria and HoT.

Posted by: Eponet.4829

Eponet.4829

Making people redo the same things that they’ve already done isn’t giving them things to do. They’ve already done it. If I wanted to be forced to run the exact same thing over and over before I was allowed to progress to the next, I would have stuck to WoW.

I’m pretty sure that it’s a common sentiment given that the most common complaint about the new traits is having to complete the unlocking tasks with every single character.

Posted by: Wallace MacBix.2089

Wallace MacBix.2089

Everyone seems to have forgotten that Anet has already said they would be working on some kind of formula to convert existing Skill Points into Mastery Points. Also how Tomes of Knowledge and Scrolls would work with the new MP system as well.

What? When/where did they say that? In the blog posts (and I haven’t seen any red posts/interviews stating otherwise) they said that we will no longer get skill points when we fill out exp bar, and make them more available through other means.

I never once heard them even consider “converting skill points to mastery points”. As I understand it, there will be a set number of mastery points in the game (be it through interaction like the current skill points/vistas, through certain old/new achievements and potentially map completion, or through story). And the mastery points will be account bound, so once you unlock that MP on your account you can’t earn it again.

As for the ToK and mastery points, they did say that they were looking into it. During the beta it filled ~1/5 of a bar, but Anet did say that it was 1) subject to change and 2) that filling the mastery bar was easier during the beta/PAX because during the small time frame people wouldn’t have had any time to use even the basic glider (rough paraphrase).

Posted by: rhapsody.3615

rhapsody.3615

Certain things I wouldn’t mind doing again, like jumping puzzles, mini dungeons, certain events, dungeons, etc. I think it would be fun to revisit these things. But map completion… I’ve got it done on five characters and 92% on my sixth. We’re now venturing into “forcing players to buy a character slot” territory, a place I don’t want to go.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Everyone seems to have forgotten that Anet has already said they would be working on some kind of formula to convert existing Skill Points into Mastery Points.

No, we haven’t “forgotten” about it, for the simple reason that devs did not say anything like that at all. Besides, such startement would be absurd based on what we already know about how mastery system will work. No, mastery points will have absolutely nothing in common with skill points, no conversion will even be possible, unless they change the very basics of the system.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I have no issues with retro-active mastery points, as they should only be for the core game mastery lines. Even with them, we have to go back and play the core game to earn the XP to rank up those tracks.

From my understanding, those points won’t be usable on the new region. That will have its own obtainable mastery points. So…not seeing much of an issue personally.

My concern, as with others, pertains to tomes of knowledge. At 80, on ToK is worth 254k experience (per the wiki). This may or may not be an issue depending on how much xp is require per tier of mastery. I’m not of the opinion that ToK should not work on mastery tracks, just as I am not of the opinion that dungeon runs shouldn’t count towards the xp gain (keep in mind that a dungeon path gives you 70% of the character level per run). However, if the bars are set too low, these two things could easily trivialize the new system.

Side note: Yes, I’m aware dungeon runs would only count on XP gain for the core mastery tracks.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Wallace MacBix.2089

Where is everyone getting the information (or why are they assuming) that any MP earned from the core game wouldn’t be spendable for any mastery line?

That’s not how I assumed it would work at all. Any mastery point could be spent on any line.

Also, I don’t really see the bad thing of tomes being useable. They still need to earn the mastery points to be able to use the tomes, so they can’t 100% the expansion in a day.

People who use them are only “hurting” themselves, by rushing through the content.

Besides, tomes only have 2.5 purposes. They really are just inventory filler at this point for the people that have a bunch of them.

0.5 People who don’t have 8 lvl 80s yet
1) Skill points (and I think most people agree they aren’t hard to get)
2) Key farmers

And the only people who have a large amount of them are PvPers, so at least they’ve been playing the game.

The only way it can hurt other people is if how they balance the amount of exp needed to learn the mastery (after it’s unlocked with Mastery Points). Plus I don’t think we even know if the exp needed gets progressively larger after each tier (I know it will cost more MP but I don’t remember them stating it will also take more exp).

Plus, you guys act like getting a lvl worth of exp is some monumental task.

20 events will get you a lvl. You can do that in under 20-30 min. Now I admit, that’s a lot longer than the 1 sec it takes to click 3 times, but it still isn’t that annoying. Even players who refuse to use tomes will max out their masteries in a month or two tops (barring their MP limit). Besides the different event chains that already exist: Orr, dry top, silverwastes, FGS (and many more), they’ve already said that the newer maps are going to be content dense, which means more events.

Event if it takes 100 events (5 tomes) that won’t take too long to obtain. My only fear is if they make it an unnecessary grind of say 2000 events (100 tomes) worth of exp to get each tier. I know this is becoming their new “endgame”, but if they aren’t careful it’s just going to be an annoying grind.

Posted by: FoRcExVoRtEx.9548

FoRcExVoRtEx.9548

Don’t worry, ANet will have thought about all of this. I hope you realise how long this expansion has been in development (a very long time)

Posted by: Farming Flats.5370

Farming Flats.5370

NO.

Andraus.3874

Where is everyone getting the information (or why are they assuming) that any MP earned from the core game wouldn’t be spendable for any mastery line?

That’s not how I assumed it would work at all. Any mastery point could be spent on any line.

Also, I don’t really see the bad thing of tomes being useable. They still need to earn the mastery points to be able to use the tomes, so they can’t 100% the expansion in a day

You are missing something… You will have old Tyria MP for thing like map completion. So when you log in on the expansion you will already have MP to spend. So you could (if ToK work to gain XP in the Mastery Track) finish a mastery track in a day.

But yes you will need to still earn MP for the new area.

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

…..No, mastery points will have absolutely nothing in common with skill points, no conversion will even be possible, unless they change the very basics of the system.
……

I’m not sure how you can say this when no Devs have ever indicated they have nothing to do with each other and in fact the “swapping” of the bar kind of intrinsically links them to together in an either/or way. Stating a conversion will NEVER BE POSSIBLE is not something I will take a players word for, mkay?

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Posted by: Forgotten Legend.9281

Forgotten Legend.9281

from the official Anet Blog: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/reimagining-progression-the-mastery-system/

Each Mastery track is tied to a region of Tyria—they must be unlocked with Mastery points gained in that region and can only be trained in that region. With the launch of Heart of Thorns, there will be two Mastery regions: the Heart of Maguuma, encompassing all PvE zones that are part of the Heart of Thorns expansion, and the core Guild Wars 2 world, encompassing all PvE zones currently available in the game today. Since Mastery tracks can only be trained in their respective regions, the Mastery training bar will automatically change the Mastery track slotted when you change regions, reverting to the last Mastery track you had selected for that region. Some Mastery points will come from content that existing players may have already completed, and these Mastery points will be automatically awarded to you with the release of Heart of Thorns, allowing you to get started on your Mastery journey right away.

– The Baconnaire

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

Don’t worry, ANet will have thought about all of this. I hope you realise how long this expansion has been in development (a very long time)

PARTS of the expansion have been in development for a very long time. That doesn’t mean they were being worked on, mind you, just that they were “in development”.

The expansion as an expansion, however, has not been in the plans for a very long time.

With all that said, I don’t know how long the mastery system has been in development, or how much work had been done on it prior to our being told of it.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

“Each Mastery track is tied to a region of Tyria—they must be unlocked with Mastery points gained in that region and can only be trained in that region.”

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/reimagining-progression-the-mastery-system/

Paragraph right before the “What Can I Get From Masteries?” section.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

Or just not have mastery rewards based upon existing completion metrics available only once per character/account? Then it doesn’t screw anyone over and makes the expansion put everyone on square one.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Does everyone need to be on square one, though? When AP chests were introduced, people who had already accrued AP got them retroactively. When dyes went account wide, people got all their unlocked dyes, with duplicates turned into Unidentifieds.

There will always be new people joining the game, hopefully. They’ll start with less than people who’ve played a while. ANet’s been mostly good about not making previous players feel they wasted their time. Eventually the newer players will do the content and get the mastery points for doing it; ANet’s been moving to a design of repeatable content. Or are you asking that six months later, a new player can come in and ask that everyone be put back to square one so he or she can join in at the start?

Zaklex.6308

Everyone seems to have forgotten that Anet has already said they would be working on some kind of formula to convert existing Skill Points into Mastery Points.

No, we haven’t “forgotten” about it, for the simple reason that devs did not say anything like that at all. Besides, such startement would be absurd based on what we already know about how mastery system will work. No, mastery points will have absolutely nothing in common with skill points, no conversion will even be possible, unless they change the very basics of the system.

Oh yes they did, and it was in a very early interview, after the announcement of HoT(sometime within the first month or so); I’m not going to go search every interview that was done since the announcement. You can choose to disbelieve me if you want, I know what I heard(and I remember important little details like that). Now, whether the conversion of SP’s to MP’s remains is another matter entirely, it’s quite possible Anet decides it’s not a smart thing to do, but if you already own the game and have completed everything in the original release, you should be able to automatically get the Masteries from those areas at the get go(no need to duplicate what you’ve already accomplished).

Andraus.3874

Oh yes they did, and it was in a very early interview, after the announcement of HoT(sometime within the first month or so); I’m not going to go search every interview that was done since the announcement. You can choose to disbelieve me if you want, I know what I heard(and I remember important little details like that). Now, whether the conversion of SP’s to MP’s remains is another matter entirely, it’s quite possible Anet decides it’s not a smart thing to do, but if you already own the game and have completed everything in the original release, you should be able to automatically get the Masteries from those areas at the get go(no need to duplicate what you’ve already accomplished).

They said they are going to put more ways in game to obtain skill points as you won’t be getting them anymore from level up as that will count toward mastery. Yes current ways of obtaining skill points via leveling is going to be converted into MP…. But not skill points in the world that you complete by doing events….

Posted by: Tears.5627

Tears.5627

I completed exploration on 8 characters in year one. Resetting it would screw me over for hundreds of hours of game play. Stop trying to get changes implemented that screw over the people that put a ton of time into the game. This does not provide a benefit for people that do not have completion; it simply screws a chunk of people over.

Running Axe on Necro since April 27th, 2012 (Before it was cool)

Posted by: Latinkuro.9615

Latinkuro.9615

The people whining on this thread clearly did NOT watch the HoT announcement event.

One of 1st main points Mike O’brien made was:

The time and effort put into your characters should not be invalidated nor trivialized.
He proceeded, to tell us our top tier gear and our level cap characters today will be our top tier gear and, end level cap characters tomorrow.

Getting retroactively rewarded simply expands on these core tenants.

enough said.

You don’t like it that veterans are getting rewarded while you still have to do the leg work (we have already done) tough luck, deal with it !

Welcome to guild wars 2.

Posted by: Aerlen.5326

Aerlen.5326

To the OP: No. No. No. No. No. NO.

I don’t know how many toons you have, OP, but I have 20 and I’ve done World Completion and Personal Story multiple times. Like so many times that when I get to some maps, it’s muscle memory on auto-pilot. Please don’t suggest that I have to do it all over or I will eat your face. I’ll already be starting two new toons for HoT because of the new class so I’ll get that ‘starting from scratch in old Tyria’ experience but I wholly expect to be rewarded retroactively for all the things I accomplished in the base game, as I should be and as ANET feels I should be.

Obviously if I have 20 toons, I’m not getting bored with the game or a ‘lack’ of things to do in it and I VERY much think from all that I’ve heard that HoT is meant to be experienced as a level 80 character who has finished most of the base game content and is ready for more.

~Tarnished Coast Pride~

Forever known as “that slow guardian who can’t jump worth crap”.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

…..No, mastery points will have absolutely nothing in common with skill points, no conversion will even be possible, unless they change the very basics of the system.
……

I’m not sure how you can say this when no Devs have ever indicated they have nothing to do with each other and in fact the “swapping” of the bar kind of intrinsically links them to together in an either/or way. Stating a conversion will NEVER BE POSSIBLE is not something I will take a players word for, mkay?

You don’t have to. You just have to see how the system works, and what info we already got, to realize that any form of conversion wouldn’t have sense.
For one, mastery points will be received for singular, non-repeatable activities (there will be a finite number of them). Skill points are not capped in any way, you can have an arbitrarily high number of them, and they are obtained using repeatable activities.
Those two things have nothing in common, and trying to convert one into the other just doesn’t make sense.

And no, swapping of the bar does not link them, as the bar itself is not for mastery points, but for mastery xp (which is a different thing). Seriously, did you play in the beta, or even watched any streams about masteries from it?

Oh yes they did, and it was in a very early interview, after the announcement of HoT(sometime within the first month or so); I’m not going to go search every interview that was done since the announcement. You can choose to disbelieve me if you want, I know what I heard(and I remember important little details like that).

Then you’d better find that quote, because if it’s the interview i think of, it said absolutely nothing of the sort. What was said, as Andraus mentioned, was that you will no longer get SP from leveling. Instead, after level 80 you will be getting mastery XP (again, xp, not points, those are different things). And to compensate, anet will introduce other ways of getting SP’s. There was nothing about converting sp’s themselves into anything.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

(edited by Astralporing.1957)

Posted by: Dante.1763

Dante.1763

Then you’d better find that quote, because if it’s the interview i think of, it said absolutely nothing of the sort. What was said, as Andraus mentioned, was that you will no longer get SP from leveling. Instead, after level 80 you will be getting mastery XP (again, xp, not points, those are different things). And to compensate, anet will introduce other ways of getting SP’s. There was nothing about converting sp’s themselves into anything.

Im going to butt in here, but thats exactly what i remember hearing too. And i have to say, im very excited for this.

TO the OP: NOOOOOOOOOOO.

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

Zaklex.6308

……

You don’t have to. You just have to see how the system works, and what info we already got, to realize that any form of conversion wouldn’t have sense.
For one, mastery points will be received for singular, non-repeatable activities (there will be a finite number of them). Skill points are not capped in any way, you can have an arbitrarily high number of them, and they are obtained using repeatable activities.
Those two things have nothing in common, and trying to convert one into the other just doesn’t make sense.

And no, swapping of the bar does not link them, as the bar itself is not for mastery points, but for mastery xp (which is a different thing). Seriously, did you play in the beta, or even watched any streams about masteries from it?

Oh yes they did, and it was in a very early interview, after the announcement of HoT(sometime within the first month or so); I’m not going to go search every interview that was done since the announcement. You can choose to disbelieve me if you want, I know what I heard(and I remember important little details like that).

It was a video interview, not a written one, so finding the quote isn’t going to be that easy, and the reason I said it would be some astronomical amount is because there are people with literally thousands of SP’s on characters, which will no longer serve any real purpose once they introduce the Mastery system(and don’t talk to me about buying the things for SP’s from Miyami for the Mystic Forge, they can convert those to Gold at the same time and kill two birds with one stone, remember, those where only put in to use SP’s because people complained about having no use for them). It’s also just not ToK they need to figure out what to do with, but SoK as well, since they award a SP, but you don’t accrue SP’s anymore at Level 80…just take a few moments and think about it.

Posted by: sartanman.4710

sartanman.4710

You absolutely keep accruing skill points. I have thousands.

Posted by: Artaz.3819

Artaz.3819

The only thing “Veteran” players will have are an immediate boost from Scroll of Knowledge and the like.

In PvE, Mastery Points themselves (beyond the first) will need to be discovered or earned via the HoT events for the HoT mastery tracks. Each level of mastery track requires certain amounts of xp to advance.

Note, everything subject to change :P

Just a flesh wound.3589

Brand new information on skill points. It doesn’t say anything about skill points becoming Mastery points

http://www.tentonhammer.com/news/guild-wars-2/guild-wars-2-heart-thorns-specializations-and-jon-peters-qa
“Hero Points will be replacing Skill Points, and will be earned by leveling up or completing Skill Challenges (which will become known as Hero Challenges). The idea is that by the time you’ve reached level 80, you’ll have enough Hero Points to deck out your character with enough skills, specializations and traits to make a variety of builds. Single characters who have completed a large quantity of Hero Challenges will likely be able to unlock just about everything.
What about old Skill Points? It looks as though they are going to be converted in crafting materials that can be used in the Mystic Forge with previously repeatable content that offered a Skill Point also providing crafting materials. There’s no word as to what those materials will actually be.”

ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Posted by: Artaz.3819

Artaz.3819

Im going to butt in here, but thats exactly what i remember hearing too. And i have to say, im very excited for this.

TO the OP: NOOOOOOOOOOO.

It’s possible that if you do not “select” a mastery path for xp to be allocated to, that you’ll continue to earn normal xp which leads to skill points. If you remember beta, you had to “equip” the mastery line in order to progress it with xp.

And this actually makes more sense as this also means that if someone does finish all the mastery paths they are interested in, that the xp earned beyond that point will not be wasted. I think of it more as an infinite reward for playtime with choices on advancement paths depending on your gameplay (PvE, PvP, or WvW) preference. i.e. for a PvP only playstyle, that player would choose no track or standard skill points line (Old Tyria) which can be used to convert items.

Also, the other presumption is that you can unlock mastery points in one game area (HoT) and then earn xp in any game type (i.e. WvW) so it favors players to continue to try all game modes.

Win win

Wallace MacBix.2089

@Forgotten Legend and LanfearShadowflame

“Each Mastery track is tied to a region of Tyria—they must be unlocked with Mastery points gained in that region and can only be trained in that region.”

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/reimagining-progression-the-mastery-system/

Thanks for the quote, I had a feeling I should have reread the article. I just missed that “points gained in that region bit”, thanks for clearing up my confusion.

Honestly, with that I don’t see how people care if we get some core region mastery points before others if we’ve already done that work. It can’t affect HoT play in any way, and people who want to will still be playing content in the base game (both to train the masteries they can unlock from the start, and to get the new map rewards if they want thme). So far all we know about them is precursor crafting and a fractal line (with no real info besides the names).