Precursor Crafting explained by KongZhong

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: LastShot.4762

LastShot.4762

I read through the whole article and here is what I gather:

Step1 : you need to train mastery then speak to NPC to unlock 3 collections.
Step2: in example of moot:
collection 1 involve getting specific drops from killing mobs, finish this collection give you a receipt, allow you to craft an untrabeable weapon.
collection 2 seem to just talk to some npcs, again give you a receipt, which let you craft an upgrade to the first weapon.
collection 3 require you preform certain actions, attend events and/or activities, and final give you a receipt to upgrade 2nd weapon into precursor.

Now, here is the important part:
1. The final finishing precursor is TRADEABLE
2. You can only make EACH precursor once per account this way

Posted by: Malkavian.4516

Malkavian.4516

So the official blog post is out on the site. Now I am curious about one thing is that when you craft the precursors via step 1 and 2, the pre will look like what they would normally look like, whereas if they are finally crafted in step 3 they will look similar to the legendary they will eventually become? Is it like say Twilight where it’s crafted precursor will just be a black bladed sword without the image of the night sky?

I also noticed that not every new legendary will be made readily available in the expansion. Some will be there but they’ll slowly introduce even more with updates. This is nice. ;D

FOR SKYRIM!!!!!

(edited by Malkavian.4516)

Posted by: Atherakhia.4086

Atherakhia.4086

If the new legendaries are going to be account bound on acquire why must we continue to do these scavenger hunts of hundreds of useless things, on top of exploring the whole map, hundreds of dungeon runs, etc etc etc.

It would be nice if players had meaningful content to complete with meaningful rewards that didn’t require soul destroying feats of worthlessness to complete.

Some of the greatest memories of past MMOs come from Asheron’s Call and when I got things like my Greater Shadow Armor, Atlan Weapons, and Composite Crossbow.

Here it feels like such an enormous exercise in futility.

Posted by: Gildhur.1548

Gildhur.1548

So is this new crafting process going to be any shorter than the existing gathering process? Because at the rate I play and given all that is required to collect for the legendary I want, I will literally never have it.

It would be nice if there were a method that doesn’t require sacrificing your entire life to get a nice weapon skin.

Posted by: Atherakhia.4086

Atherakhia.4086

So is this new crafting process going to be any shorter than the existing gathering process? Because at the rate I play and given all that is required to collect for the legendary I want, I will literally never have it.

It would be nice if there were a method that doesn’t require sacrificing your entire life to get a nice weapon skin.

I honestly care less about the skin and more about the functionality of stat swapping.

It would be really cool if ANet introduced some long quest chain associated with unlocking our specialization and at the end you were rewarded with a legendary of your class specific item.

For example, as a Ranger your trainer sends you out to find a long lost hero. Along the way one of the clues you find is a broken staff. Eventually you find a hidden grove with the grave of your lost hero and his spirit trains you in the ways of being a Druid. He then gives you a quest to reforge the broken staff into his legendary staff of legend that he beat some random big baddy with.

That would honestly mean a lot more to me than completing every dungeon a dozen times and doing map completion.

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

I read through the whole article and here is what I gather:

Step1 : you need to train mastery then speak to NPC to unlock 3 collections.
Step2: in example of moot:
collection 1 involve getting specific drops from killing mobs, finish this collection give you a receipt, allow you to craft an untrabeable weapon.
collection 2 seem to just talk to some npcs, again give you a receipt, which let you craft an upgrade to the first weapon.
collection 3 require you preform certain actions, attend events and/or activities, and final give you a receipt to upgrade 2nd weapon into precursor.

1. The final finishing precursor (of the existing/preHoT) is TRADEABLE

It specifically says the new precursors won’t be tradeable though.

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

Posted by: CaboSoul.1204

CaboSoul.1204

“We also want to better preserve the prestige associated with crafting a legendary weapon, so the new legendary weapons, and their precursors, will not be tradable.”

Finally something prestigious in this game I can work on without it being devalued through gold and real money.

Posted by: tfcgeneralkmk.9508

tfcgeneralkmk.9508

*taps fingers together * excellent excellent

Posted by: Vyshan.2345

Vyshan.2345

If crafting is still required, then I’m still not interested.

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

It’s not really like that. You just have to make it the focus of your game play. Set small goals. “Today I am gonna get x, y, and z done.” Doing it that way is much better but yeah, it’s an involved process and should be. Most of this game is tailored around playing for short periods of time. It’s nice to have long term goals in the game for people that play more. It can still totally be done even by people with limited time.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: Toxsa.2701

Toxsa.2701

If the new legendaries are going to be account bound on acquire why must we continue to do these scavenger hunts of hundreds of useless things, on top of exploring the whole map, hundreds of dungeon runs, etc etc etc.

It would be nice if players had meaningful content to complete with meaningful rewards that didn’t require soul destroying feats of worthlessness to complete.

Some of the greatest memories of past MMOs come from Asheron’s Call and when I got things like my Greater Shadow Armor, Atlan Weapons, and Composite Crossbow.

Here it feels like such an enormous exercise in futility.

Seriously, what do you mean by “meaningful contents”?
From what you said, you sound like you don’t want to do anything, and Anet should just hand out legendary skin easily right?

From all the info I see, I did not see any part saying you need some expensive materials x 200 to make these new precursors. You have to earn it from defeating monsters and such. Let’s just hope the drop rate of those required stuff is not too “legenary low drop rate” though, otherwise it’s kind of defeat it’s purpose…

(edited by Toxsa.2701)

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/a-legendary-journey/

TLDR

• Precursor crafting has three tiers, based around the theme of the Legendary.
  • Precursors are getting updated skins to look more like the Legendary weapons they’re associated with.
  • This method is once per account; current methods of acquisition for precursors will still be in place.
  • Maps will have bonuses associated that rotate to make item gathering for a Legendary a more directed activity.
  • These bonuses are acquired by doing content in the map – JP, events, mini dungeons etc.
  • Most maps have crafting mats. For example, Cursed Shore might have Charged Cores and Lodestones one rotation, and Glacial Cores and Lodestones the next.
  • HoT maps will have dedicated currencies, much like Dry Top and Silverwastes.
  • New Legendary weapons and Precursors will not be tradable.
  • Example:
Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Posted by: LastShot.4762

LastShot.4762

1. The final finishing precursor (of the existing/preHoT) is TRADEABLE

It specifically says the new precursors won’t be tradeable though.

The problem of new ones is Anet can totally RNG us on components other than precursor, they may not even follow the same formula as the existing ones.

At least for the existing ones, I know what I expect now.(And don’t get me wrong, I actually think those are good things, for me at least.)

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

Posted by: Ranatoa.4869

Ranatoa.4869

No where does it state Hot maps will add new currencies…

Posted by: thefantasticg.3984

thefantasticg.3984

Meh. Not interested. Sucks you can’t get them on the TP. I’d much rather that route.

RNG is a bell curve. Better hope you’re on the right side.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I must say after reading the English blog, I think I like it. I’m definitely interested in the Map Bonuses that they’ll be implementing. It’s an interesting approach.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

Maps like the Silverwastes or Dry Top that have a dedicated currency will work a little differently. For these maps, bandit crests and geodes have been something of a test for this concept, where you’re rewarded with these currencies through a bouncy chest for playing on the map. The Map Bonuses system is a more streamlined experience, and with Heart of Thorns, these maps will be updated to always award currencies through the Map Bonuses system. Moving forward, any map with a similar currency will also work within the Map Bonuses system.

That’s what I read it as, though in hindsight this could also mean things like Karma and Gold.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

The map rotation rewards sound interesting

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

“This crafting system is an account-based activity, which means you’ll only be able to craft each precursor this way once. However, all of the currently existing precursor acquisition methods will remain intact in addition to this new acquisition method. That means that if you want a particular precursor more than once, you’ll have to fall back to the original methods of acquisition.”

Well that stinks for players who have multiple characters.

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

Posted by: Windsagio.1340

Windsagio.1340

“This crafting system is an account-based activity, which means you’ll only be able to craft each precursor this way once. However, all of the currently existing precursor acquisition methods will remain intact in addition to this new acquisition method. That means that if you want a particular precursor more than once, you’ll have to fall back to the original methods of acquisition.”

Except precurser prices are going to drop like crazy, because the precursors are still saleble (for existing legendaries anyways)

Posted by: Forgotten Legend.9281

Forgotten Legend.9281

Map Bonuses

While the update to precursor acquisition makes for a huge change in the way we craft legendary weapons, our new Map Bonuses system will also make acquiring the materials you need a more directed activity. With Heart of Thorns, most explorable maps will have an associated set of bonus rewards that rotate on a regular basis. Starter maps will not be included in order to preserve the new-player experience. By completing events, jumping puzzles, and mini-dungeons in a map, you’ll be periodically awarded with one of its associated bonuses in addition to the normal rewards. For most maps, the bonus reward will be crafting materials. For instance, playing in Cursed Shore could reward you with ancient bones, charged cores, charged lodestones, or giant eyes during one rotation, and powerful venom sacs, glacial cores, glacial lodestones, or globs of ectoplasm during another rotation.

Maps like the Silverwastes or Dry Top that have a dedicated currency will work a little differently. For these maps, bandit crests and geodes have been something of a test for this concept, where you’re rewarded with these currencies through a bouncy chest for playing on the map. The Map Bonuses system is a more streamlined experience, and with Heart of Thorns, these maps will be updated to always award currencies through the Map Bonuses system. Moving forward, any map with a similar currency will also work within the Map Bonuses system.

The goals of this system are to provide ways for players to target the materials they need, let players know exactly where to obtain those materials, and help all explorable maps always feel like relevant and rewarding places to play.

does this mean that we will be earning new bonuses for meta-events and dynamic events in zones we’ve already map-completed? IE, every dynamic event will pop up a bonus chest with extra materials in it?

– The Baconnaire

Posted by: Albadaran.1283

Albadaran.1283

What I understand from the blog is that you need to do the daily’s to get the materials needed to craft legendarys. This includes jumping puzzels and mini dungeons. Which I never do. Looks to me that the main issue for creating legendarys is not adressed: (too) much time consuming to make it worth the very small statistic advantages in gameplay. That being said: I hope this is not the major bonus for buying HOT…

Swagger.1459

Except precurser prices are going to drop like crazy, because the precursors are still saleble (for existing legendaries anyways)

Current precursor prices dropping may be debatable depending on a number of factors, but we will have to see how the market goes.

I personally feel that the system should be more flexible to allow players that filled up the tracks to craft the multiples of the same precursors and legendaries for their other characters. Much like the current crafting system allows. Considering these new ones ae not tradable I don’t see why not unless I’m missing something.

Windsagio.1340

Who legitimately still makes multiples of the same legendary?

Most people I know pass it around when they need to.

Posted by: Ranatoa.4869

Ranatoa.4869

That’s what I read it as, though in hindsight this could also mean things like Karma and Gold.

and with Heart of Thorns, these maps will be updated to always award currencies through the Map Bonuses system.

I understood “these maps” to mean Silverwastes and Dry Top again. I think their point is the rewards on maps with a dedicated currency will not rotate as they do on other maps. New HoT maps will most likely award crafting mats, but who knows, I could be wrong.

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

Completing the precursor collection looks like it could be a fun little quest, doing this and that. But crafting the legendary? Still just a boring material grind? Hopefully the second set of legendaries will be different. I’d rather have a skin that showed off something other than farming/time spent, like how Luminescent requires the achievements. SAB TM skins have more meaning.

tfcgeneralkmk.9508

are the legendaries soulbound once crafted?

Swagger.1459

Who legitimately still makes multiples of the same legendary?

Most people I know pass it around when they need to.

Nvm, I just read they were account bound.

Posted by: rotten.9753

rotten.9753

What makes you think like that? Precursor collections will not be easy and fast tasks, you still have to craft it and we have no clue how costly that would be.

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

Completing the precursor collection looks like it could be a fun little quest, doing this and that. But crafting the legendary? Still just a boring material grind? Hopefully the second set of legendaries will be different. I’d rather have a skin that showed off something other than farming/time spent, like how Luminescent requires the achievements. SAB TM skins have more meaning.

The old legendaries will be using the same system of materials into the Forge. Probably to make it so that people who crafted them in the past don’t feel jilted by a new, more interesting system.

However, as far as the new legendaries go, the article said this….

“The methods by which you’ll craft these legendary weapons are similar to the existing system, but we’ve refined it into more of a journey, similar to precursor crafting. "

So it sounds like the materials will probably still be a part of it, but not ALL of it like it is with the old ones.

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

Not tradeable? I am fine with that as long as I can earn the precursors in WvW and PvP. I do not want to grind PvE.

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

Does someone else saw that 2 of the item needed for the collection for the Energizer is Chaos of Lyssa and Shadow of Grenth. Those two items are respectively 600 and 350 gold. The Energizer sold for 250 gold on the TP.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

Swagger.1459

Does someone else saw that 2 of the item needed for the collection for the Energizer is Chaos of Lyssa and Shadow of Grenth. Those two items are respectively 600 and 350 gold. The Energizer sold for 250 gold on the TP.

They want players to buy more gold so of course they are going to make the collections a major gold sink.

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

They also showed the Queen Jenna Mini icon for the “Dance with the Queen” part, so I wouldn’t assume it requires those specific items.

It is very likely that they are simply placeholders.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

rotten.9753

Dancing with the Stars Jennah has the icon of her mini so it’s possibly something else. But I personally would love to see them being those backpacks.

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

Very pleased with this direction for future Legendaries.

I have two precursors sitting in my bank. Sounds like we get some nice perks for having gotten even that far.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Windsagio.1340

What makes you think like that? Precursor collections will not be easy and fast tasks, you still have to craft it and we have no clue how costly that would be.

Increased nonrandom availability of sellable precursers (up to 1 per percurser per account). The “old” precursers are explicitly able to be sold.

Increased potential supply + reduced demand from people not needing to buy —> likely reduced prices.

rotten.9753

Increased nonrandom availability of sellable precursers (up to 1 per percurser per account). The “old” precursers are explicitly able to be sold.

Increased potential supply + reduced demand from people not needing to buy —> likely reduced prices.

So if an energizer will cost e.g. 500g to craft, do you really believe its price will decrease?

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

I think the phrase you’re looking for is “Precursor prices WILL tank.”

There are many, many players who would happly slog through some Sisyphean hellhole of a task list as an alternative to throwing one bent copper into the economic PvP vortex of the Trading Post .

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Windsagio.1340

So if an energizer will cost e.g. 500g to craft, do you really believe its price will decrease?

If a Dusk currently costs 1089g to buy and costs 250 to craft, then yes I’d expect the cost to go down for Dusk.

Posted by: Aerinndis.2730

Aerinndis.2730

I am just hoping if the beasts we will have to find and hunt are not RNG bound in order to get the trophy we need. Having to kill one something 9 million times because my RNG took a vacation is not my idea of any sort of fun. It’s right up there with Rhendak and trying to get the signet….

I would prefer kill x number of these type of beasts + whatever champs instead.

tfcgeneralkmk.9508

I am just hoping if the beasts we will have to find and hunt are not RNG bound in order to get the trophy we need. Having to kill one something 9 million times because my RNG took a vacation is not my idea of any sort of fun. It’s right up there with Rhendak and trying to get the signet….

I would prefer kill x number of these type of beasts + whatever champs instead.

personally i hope its an achievement based thing

Posted by: alcopaul.2156

alcopaul.2156

if i understand what i read, crafted precursors are old precursors? and are tradeable?

oh boy, finally, this will lower the insane price of precursor,s and probably lower the price of old legendaries.

i like the new legendaries being untradeable. this means that these legendaries are rare and truly sought for.

Posted by: Azrael.4960

Azrael.4960

Posting a translation of the article here (I read and speak Chinese after all)

A Legendary weapon is every GW2 PVE players ultimate goal, it has a unique and beautiful appearance, and has often been the centre of attention. The journey towards crafting a legendary is long and hard. You not only have to get the precursor but then you have to gather all the materials. However, obtaining the precursor is very testing and has often left players frustrated (loose translation here).

In the GW2 trailer, a new method to acquire precursors was presented, the new map reward system (direct translation) will guide you to the crafting materials, the journey to a precursor will also embark you on the journey to a legendary weapon. We will explain in detail to everyone the new method of obtaining a precursor.

As we previously presented, the new Content Mastery system will enable players to unlock many different abilities, one example is Legendary Mastery. By unlocking Legendary Mastery, players can level the Legendary Crafting ability to learn how to craft all of the existing precursors, as well as all the new precursors presented in the trailer. Firstly, you need to visit the Legendary Merchant to select the Precursor you want, once selected the journey to obtain that precursor is unlocked. After this, you just have to follow the directions of the Legendary content system to be rewarded with the precursor.

Normally, players must complete 3 collections to obtain a precursor, to do this, players must roam across the world and complete the missions associated with that legendary. We will use the Legendary weapon Moot as an example, a moot is how Norn celebrate their great deeds in the great hall, it is for this reason that we named this Hammer. Obtaining the first collection involved hunting. You must seek out the fiercest beasts of Tyria and trophies as proof of your strength. Upon completing this collection, you will receive a Recipe which will allow you to craft a non tradeable weapon, this weapon will have a similar skin as an existing precursor but will have slightly lower stats. By upgrading or modifying it a bit it will be closer to your goal. This leads us to the second step.

Completing the second collection requires some investigation, inquiry and study of the crafting disciplines. You must perform some exchanges to obtain the information, find and convince masters to give you the guidance you seek as well as prove your crafting ability. At the end, you will obtain the precursor’s second appearance. Completion of this collection will reward you with another recipe for a new weapon, the appearance of which will match an existing precursor.

The journey to complete the final collection returns us to the theme of a legendary weapon. A moot is the Norn celebration’s centre piece, as such you will have to attend festivities to match the atmosphere, including dancing with leaders of the world, lighting fireworks for the spirits of the wild, as well as discovering the delicious wines of Tyria. The final recipe received will allow you to craft the true Precursor. This weapon can be traded. The appearance will be closer to the final Legendary, but it will be a mere shadow compared to the finished weapon. Unlocking the precursor skin will also unlock the skin for the two precursors to the precursor. So if you are fortunate enough to discover a precursor while exploring Tyria, you will not miss out on the two pre-precursor skins.

However, this method for obtaining a precursor is account bound, that is to say, each precursor can only be obtained once through the above method. The existing ways to obtain a precursor will be unchanged, so if you want to have more than one of the same precursor, you will have to do it that way (forging, RNG, TP). Once you have the precursor, you can craft the legendary. Collecting materials, Mystic forging for the Gifts and finally crafting your legendary weapon will be a long journey.

Apart from this, players are very excited about the new legendary weapons talked about in the trailer, we will continue to reveal information about them as it comes. The ways of crafting the new legendary weapons will be very similar to the existing ones, but the process will be modified to improve everyone’s experience. The new Legendary weapons and precursors will not be tradeable. As soon as we have news we will bring it to everyone, thanks for reading!

I’ve had to take some liberties in a few places to Anglicise it. Some of the phraseology and grammatical structure in Chinese can be a bit strange and abstract

(edited by Azrael.4960)

Windsagio.1340

^So the same info as the english post, just about.

Posted by: Machiavell.7396

Machiavell.7396

This is collectionception. 3 collections to make 1 precursor seems like overdoing it, just make 1 collection that requires various stuff from all 3, why would we need to go from collection to collection like we already go from bag through bag?

Unofficial Master Bugfinder and Design Critic.
“He will improve everything that ArenaNet added to infinity and beyond.”

Azrael.4960

This is collectionception. 3 collections to make 1 precursor seems like overdoing it, just make 1 collection that requires various stuff from all 3, why would we need to go from collection to collection like we already go from bag through bag?

Because each collection rewards a weapon skin

Azrael.4960

^So the same info as the english post, just about.

I only just realised there was a new blog post about it XD

Posted by: Machiavell.7396

Machiavell.7396

Because each collection rewards a weapon skin

Like they couldn’t just make it in 1 collection, where you just have 8 items, go MF, make it into 2 items, add 2 more and get 1st weapon skin that unlocks in collection and then you just carry on, really there is no need for 3 collections for precursor. Remember that there is (guessing only) around 15 types of weapons, multiply it by 3 because of triple collectionception, then multiply by 2 because of new set of precursors for each weapon type. 90 different tabs in our new “Legendary Journey collection achievement” tab… Seriously no…

Unofficial Master Bugfinder and Design Critic.
“He will improve everything that ArenaNet added to infinity and beyond.”